Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: Sharon Osbourne; Rosa Brooks; Ian Bremmer

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Hot topic discussions are allowed.  Remember the be civil policy still applies. 

• Start Topic

Did you know that if people weren't fat they wouldn't have died from COVID? No? Well, hopefully you watched tonight so you could hear Bill rant about it for the elevendy-seventh time. We get it, Bill. Fat people are unhealthy and ridiculous. Just like religion is bad and make believe.

Hey, at least he didn't yell at his audience tonight for groaning or not laughing. Sometimes (oftentimes) your jokes just aren't funny.

Funny there was no mention of Sharon Osborne's many-million-dollars payday after her departure from The Talk. What a useless twit she is. She and Piers should definitely do a show together. He can get a peek at her other tit this time.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, WendyM said:

Did you know that if people weren't fat they wouldn't have died from COVID? No? Well, hopefully you watched tonight so you could hear Bill rant about it for the elevendy-seventh time. We get it, Bill. Fat people are unhealthy and ridiculous. Just like religion is bad and make believe.

Hey, at least he didn't yell at his audience tonight for groaning or not laughing. Sometimes (oftentimes) your jokes just aren't funny.

Funny there was no mention of Sharon Osborne's many-million-dollars payday after her departure from The Talk. What a useless twit she is. She and Piers should definitely do a show together. He can get a peek at her other tit this time.

Sorry I missed it...ha ha. I'm wondering if Bill is suffering from early onset dementia...the continual rants about the same old things over and over again, the unfunny jokes, scolding the audience...I bet HBO is thrilled that they renewed his contract for a few more years.

• Love 6

Bill isn’t even trying to promote any perspective but his anymore....  If you’re going to have Sharon Osborne on, at least have a POC on your panel to provide another perspective.   And actually interview her....the issues and story discussed was not really what actually happened.   

Watched out of curiosity on Sharon Osborne... cut out soon after the interview.   Somehow Bill made Sharon look better, in comparison to him....smh...

• Love 10

Sharon, you nitwit...your "firing" had nothing to do with racism, but everything to do with your lousy attitude. You yelling at your co-hosts to educate you (among other things), you telling your co-host not to cry ("don't try to cry"), you cursing at your co-hosts right before commercials, and your general all around entitled behavior for the last 11 years. Grow the f' up and take responsibility for your actions, you dumbass.

• Love 18

If Sharon merely defended Piers as her friend, that would be one thing. Sharon wasn't professional with the way she spoke to her fellow hosts that infamous day. There are multiple accounts of her actually being racist, and she can be quite mean generally speaking. Before I heard of all the instances of her being a bigot, she already rubbed me the wrong way. I love strong women, but she has this level of aggression and cruelty none of the other hosts of The Talk ever had, yet she was the very last OG. For the longest time she was The Talk cockroach. There are too many nice, polite people who can host a daytime pop culture show for TPTB to keep Sharon. Her firing should have happened long ago for creating a hostile work environment.  

• Love 15
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

If Sharon merely defended Piers as her friend, that would be one thing. Sharon wasn't professional with the way she spoke to her fellow hosts that infamous day. There are multiple accounts of her actually being racist, and she can be quite mean generally speaking. Before I heard of all the instances of her being a bigot, she already rubbed me the wrong way. I love strong women, but she has this level of aggression and cruelty none of the other hosts of The Talk ever had, yet she was the very last OG. For the longest time she was The Talk cockroach. There are too many nice, polite people who can host a daytime pop culture show for TPTB to keep Sharon. Her firing should have happened long ago for creating a hostile work environment.  

Sharon is the type of person who always has to remind you how strong they are - generally that's a sign of weakness. 

It's telling that she worked in the UK for years, yet I haven't heard of her giving these poor-me interviews there, even though, based on polling, many would probably agree with her and Piers Morgan - it's likely because her unpleasant behavior drove her off of those shows and soured many on her. And now the same is happening here. 

I'm not even sure why Bill Maher brought her on, a month after this 'controversy,' particularly since I don't really know how many people even cared in the first place. I guess any excuse to have a partner in martyrdom, as no one feels pain and betrayal like rich celebrities who have been paid handsomely for decades to blather bile.

The more successful this type of person becomes, the more they become a professional victim, with everyone out to get them. How brave they are. On and on and on.

Bill and Sharon deserve each other. 

• Love 9

They should probably just go ahead and change the name of this show to “White Grievance with Bill Maher.” 

I was thinking "Bitching about Cancel Culture with Bill Maher."

I've never seen The Talk so I know next to nothing about what went down on that show, nor do I care much. But the bottom line is that it wouldn't even matter if Sharon Osbourne had a legitimate point to make because Bill keeps beating the same dead horse over and over again, week after week after week. Cancel culture this, cancel culture that. Enough already!

Also, I don't know if this was the greatest week to talk about the police. I guess it was a fairly balanced discussion for the most part, but yikes, talk about timing. If you're going to defend the "boys in blue" let's also hear the other side of the coin which is rarely discussed - why certain personality types always seem to wind up in that profession.

And, again with the obesity = Covid thing?? Again??? Is Bill getting Alzheimers? He knows he's done this same new rule about fifty times now right? What new info does he think can be gleaned by bringing it up yet again?

• Love 5
14 hours ago, WendyM said:

Did you know that if people weren't fat they wouldn't have died from COVID?

But wait...what if they were outside in the "sun and wind" waiting it for it to do "its thing" on killing covid in their bodies?

Seriously, this fucking guy has lost his mind. I'm sure he was vaccinated with a cocktail of essential oils and Flintstones vitamins.

13 hours ago, MsTree said:

Sharon, you nitwit...your "firing" had nothing to do with racism, but everything to do with your lousy attitude. You yelling at your co-hosts to educate you (among other things), you telling your co-host not to cry ("don't try to cry"), you cursing at your co-hosts right before commercials, and your general all around entitled behavior for the last 11 years. Grow the f' up and take responsibility for your actions, you dumbass.

I really don't understand why Sharon Osbourne is still a "thing". I don't understand why Ozzy and his adult children are still a "thing"...That is so early 2000's. They aren't entertaining...they jumped the shark a decade ago. And Sharon is just a loud mouth over opinionated matriarch of a family with substance abuse issues and kids that reek of white privilege and entitlement and have no skill sets or talents whatsoever. It has been reported that Ozzy has a rifle and uses it to shoot any woodland creature or neighborhood cat that comes on his property. I say cancel culture the entire family with the exception of the oldest daughter Ami (Amy?) who seems to be the only one carving out a life separate from the rest of them. Oh...and STFU Sharon.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 23
16 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

And now Bill's trying to give Tucker a run for his money in the category "Privileged White Male Saying Ignorant Racist Shit!"

If you watched Real Time with Bill Maher back in 2008, 2009, 2010 or even in 2016 and then watched this season's episodes you would not believe this is the same person. Just waiting to hear him support the insurrectionists and the hate groups that "organized" the January 6th riot. Will he have Marjorie Taylor Greene on? Ted Cruz? Josh Holloway? Tom Cotton? Wouldn't be surprised at all if he had all of them on at some point so he could whine about "cancel culture" with them.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

If you watched Real Time with Bill Maher back in 2008, 2009, 2010 or even in 2016 and then watched this season's episodes you would not believe this is the same person. Just waiting to hear him support the insurrectionists and the hate groups that "organized" the January 6th riot. Will he have Marjorie Taylor Greene on? Ted Cruz? Josh Holloway? Tom Cotton? Wouldn't be surprised at all if he had all of them on at some point so he could whine about "cancel culture" with them.

Absolutely. I couldn't cite the exact date or episode he seemed to flip, but back in 2016 I could at least enjoy his show, when he used to needle Trump for being a thin-skinned, "whiny little bitch". Ironic much?

He did defend Ashlii Babbit a few months ago,  by somehow (bizarrely) tying her discontent about the election results to being a "struggling business owner" who was somehow forced (?) to take a short-term loan with a high interest rate, and that's all California's fault, because (this was the topper, his coup de grace) the state cared more about her "toxic whiteness" than her "toxic brokeness". Well, California does have predatory lending laws, as do half the states in the U.S. But as we know, he's got a bee in his bonnet about California, where he nevertheless continues to live. And where he came up with this "toxic whiteness" shit is beyond me. If that's not a Tuckerism, I don't know what is. 

He really hasn't spoken up much about the insurrection, or hate groups, or gun laws (the latter, I recall, he used to be passionate about). No, now it's fat people and solar for his mansion and "cancel culture", although I don't believe he's made a peep about the calls from the flip side to boycott NFL/MLB/Coca-Cola/ Delta Airlines/ViacomCBS/ Citigroup/ UPS/etc. etc etc. His ratings have been sinking and it's time for HBO to pull the plug or get a better host. 

Edited by littlepaw
  • Love 11

I’m joining the people who aren’t sure what happened to Bill Maher that has turned him into this unfunny, critical misanthropic man, other than he became old and rich.There was a time when if I didn’t agree with most of what he said at least was reasonable or funny but he seems to be neither now. I agree, they need to find another host for this show or I need to stop watching it.  

• Love 9

Bill has never, never backed down from saying what he thinks.  He cowtows to no one.  

If there are people who think he should be silenced because he has differing opinions, or he should be fired from his job because he’s not funny enough for everyone, well I have no words for that.  I will say, Bravo, Bill.

Edited by Tara
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, Tara said:

Bill has never, never backed down from saying what he thinks.  He cowtows to no one.  If there are people who think he should be silenced because he has differing opinions,  well I have no words for that.  I will say, Bravo, Bill.

He's a closed minded ignorant fuck who believes anyone who doesn't agree with his dumbass opinions is too fucking stupid to live. He admitted last night that. as a 65-year old fossil, he doesn't need to learn anything. So I will say EAT SHIT AND FUCK OFF, BILL YOU BUTTER FACED BUMHOLE!!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, littlepaw said:

Absolutely. I couldn't cite the exact date or episode he seemed to flip, but back in 2016 I could at least enjoy his show, when he used to needle Trump for being a thin-skinned, "whiny little bitch". Ironic much?

He did defend Ashlii Babbit a few months ago,  by somehow (bizarrely) tying her discontent about the election results to being a "struggling business owner" who was somehow forced (?) to take a short-term loan with a high interest rate, and that's all California's fault, because (this was the topper, his coup de grace) the state cared more about her "toxic whiteness" than her "toxic brokeness". Well, California does have predatory lending laws, as do half the states in the U.S. But as we know, he's got a bee in his bonnet about California, where he nevertheless continues to live. And where he came up with this "toxic whiteness" shit is beyond me. If that's not a Tuckerism, I don't know what is. 

He really hasn't spoken up much about the insurrection, or hate groups, or gun laws (the latter, I recall, he used to be passionate about). No, now it's fat people and solar for his mansion and "cancel culture", although I don't believe he's made a peep for the calls from the flip side to boycott NLF/MLB/Coca-Cola/ Delta Airlines/ViacomCBS/ Citigroup/ UPS/etc. etc etc. His ratings have been sinking and it's time for HBO to pull the plug or get a better host. 

Right? He seemed to be edging towards the grievance driven right about two years ago when he started having people like Jordan Peterson, Boris Epstyn, Roger Stone, Milo what’s his face and Bari Weiss on his show. He agreed with them on a lot of issues and never pushed back when they spouted right wing talking points. And it is hilarious for all his criticism of Trump back in 2016 as a “whiny little bitch” that’s exactly what he’s become. 

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

He's a closed minded ignorant fuck who believes anyone who doesn't agree with his dumbass opinions is too fucking stupid to live. He admitted last night that. as a 65-year old fossil, he doesn't need to learn anything. So I will say EAT SHIT AND FUCK OFF, BILL YOU BUTTER FACED BUMHOLE!!!

Now that’s speaking your mind. 😉

• Love 2

I have been done with Bill for a while but still recorded just in case an intresting guest. I'm done for sure now.  I've taken him off my shows to record. Completely pointless to record a show i find ridiculous and never watch full thr.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tara said:

Bill has never, never backed down from saying what he thinks.  He cowtows to no one.  

If there are people who think he should be silenced because he has differing opinions, or he should be fired from his job because he’s not funny enough for everyone, well I have no words for that.  I will say, Bravo, Bill.

Absolutely!  I don’t agree with everything Bill says but even with those instances I appreciate hearing the other side.  Some people don’t have any intellectual curiosity, so they stick with what they believe to be true and refuse to hear anything else.  I’m open to hearing it all and then making up my mind.  

• Love 7

I was kind of disgusted with Sharon and Bill egging each other on to lament how people are over-defining racism.  You don't have to be a gigantic exponent of critical race theory to see that there's some middle ground between that extreme and what Sharon and Bill espouse, which just reinforces tired old white folks privilege to come out on top.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

AMEN!!!!! 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Absolutely!  I don’t agree with everything Bill says but even with those instances I appreciate hearing the other side.  Some people don’t have any intellectual curiosity, so they stick with what they believe to be true and refuse to hear anything else.  I’m open to hearing it all and then making up my mind.  

But tbf, "the other side" is a vague expression that's often really misleading. Intellectual curiosity, imo, doesn't mean something is valid just because somebody's saying it. It's the lack of intellectual curiosity and honesty that many people seem to find so infuriating about the show and why it's such a surprise when you have guests that actually get into a topic and discuss it in good faith. There's contexts where sticking to your opinion in the face of disagreement is admirable, but it's not always a good trait.

That suddenly makes me remember an interview years ago b/w Dennis Miller and Jon Stewart where Miller noted that Abraham Lincoln was an unpopular president to suggest that the fact that Bush was unpopular meant he would eventually be seen as great.

• Love 9

I think Bill feels that emotions based on a largely misleading narrative have moved the left too far away from common sense. E.g., why can't people feel that these victims should have just cooperated and put some of the blame on them at the same time as blaming the police? And why is racism alleged for every one of these incidents when there is very little evidence? And isn't this needlessly divisive for the country? And if someone after a few drinks says something stupid, why can't they apologize, promise not to do it again, and carry on with life? Why do these mistakes have to be career ending? Isn't there something wrong with a culture that is clearly in that direction? Of course the list goes on. That's what I think explains Bill's opinions. He's thinking in terms of common sense and dislike of angry mobs pushing people around. He's stayed the same over the years. The cultural thinking has changed, for the worse, he'd say.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

What I didn't get about the repeated rant about the linkage of being overweight and having serious Covid symptoms is that the figure he quoted to make his point - I think it was about 73% of people with serious Covid symptoms are also overweight - isn't dramatically different from the proportion of all Americans that are overweight, which is about 2/3. See https://www.healthline.com/health/obesity-facts#1.-More-than-one-third-of-adults-in-the-United-States-are-obese. Thus, to focus in on only that as sort of the unmentioned real problem here just doesn't seem scientifically accurate. 

With respect the Sharon Osborne interview, having no prior knowledge of her underlying dispute, and having no interest in learning more about it, what I took away from that interview was Bill's continuing effort to warn fellow Democrats that "cancel culture" will ultimately do you in and is counterproductive. The only real winners will be the rightwing crazies who will cease upon the most extreme cancel culture efforts to tar even middle of the road Dems as beyond the pale. That point has merit, but I'm not sure it came through as clearly as it might have because Sharon isn't the most sympatric "victim" to lead that charge. Also lost in that discussion was any recognition that "opposing cancel culture" can't mean locking everything in amber for all time with no progress, no reassessment  and no recognition of past wrongs. On the other hand, expecting everyone instantly to adopt the latest groupthink of the loudest Twitterers can't be the answer either. As with many problems, the answer may lie in a nuanced, dispassionate middle ground that doesn't rile up anyone.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

That would have been the case ten years ago. But now, Bill has become a shade away from turning into one of those talking heads on Fox News. Inviting people on with a differing opinion than yours isn't the problem, Jon Stewart did that a lot when he hosted the Daily Show. But allowing them, for the most part, to spew their well rehearsed talking points without much push back IS a problem. One that Bill doesn't seem to care about. Jon would never have allowed the likes of Ann Coulter, Ben Shapiro, Mio Yiannopoulos, Steve Bannon, and their ilk to get away with their bullshit. Jon was lionized when he left his show. I doubt Bill will even come close to such acclaim when he finally leaves.

Something changed in Bill, whether it was Berkeley cancelling his act, or Ben Affleck calling him out over his Islamophobia, or just that there are more and more comedians with their own shows discussing current events who do a far better job and are far more popular. Bill has allowed his nasty side to take over his entire thought process, and his intellectual curiosity has been replaced with his unbelievable bullshit. When he said he doesn't need re-education, he wasn't wrong as he's becoming more and more blatantly ignorant as time goes by.

Bill is entitled to his own opinion, but he's not entitled to his own facts. Something he has more and more in common with the right wing media.

Edited by Victor the Crab
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, ahpny said:

As with many problems, the answer may lie in a nuanced, dispassionate middle ground that doesn't rile up anyone.

I think the majority of people would like conversations like that. Unfortunately the media progression is to sell clicks and viewership and that has plagued once good shows like the View and Bill Maher. I believe that Bill can have intelligent and thoughtful guests that can discuss "the other sides" without explosions but that doesn't sell tickets as they say. The View exists now by selling explosions and anger and not intelligence and thoughfulness.

This is why he will continue to have on the Coulters and the Cruzes. Selling and survival are now the most important thing to some late night shows and until it changes he will continue to promote the extreme.

Edited by juno
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I think Bill feels that emotions based on a largely misleading narrative have moved the left too far away from common sense. E.g., why can't people feel that these victims should have just cooperated and put some of the blame on them at the same time as blaming the police? And why is racism alleged for every one of these incidents when there is very little evidence? And isn't this needlessly divisive for the country? 

This is a similar thought process of placing blame on a rape victim who wore revealing clothing or drank too much.   The consequence of doing those things should never be rape.     And in the vast majority of cases it is not.   Similarly it doesn’t matter if he didn’t comply.  The punishment for not complying in a non violent traffic stop is arrest,  not death.  

And I do think these type of discussions should be had.  But that only works if there are multiple educated perspectives on the show to keep the discussion intellectually honest.  Bill no longer brings on guests to that are willing to challenge his views which make his show less enjoyable.   I’m already familiar with his beliefs, they are not new.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

This is a similar thought process of placing blame on a rape victim who wore revealing clothing or drank too much.   The consequence of doing those things should never be rape.     And in the vast majority of cases it is not.   Similarly it doesn’t matter if he didn’t comply.  The punishment for not complying in a non violent traffic stop is arrest,  not death.  

Total false equivalency since most of these cases of failure to cooperate resulting in death are cases where the non-cooperation made the officers feel like their lives or physical safety were threatened or that the public's safety was threatened. Or a mistake was made in the crazy, fast sudden melee that followed. And these folks weren't shot because of the reason for the pullover. That is a distortion. 

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I think Bill feels that emotions based on a largely misleading narrative have moved the left too far away from common sense. E.g., why can't people feel that these victims should have just cooperated and put some of the blame on them at the same time as blaming the police? And why is racism alleged for every one of these incidents when there is very little evidence? And isn't this needlessly divisive for the country? And if someone after a few drinks says something stupid, why can't they apologize, promise not to do it again, and carry on with life? Why do these mistakes have to be career ending? Isn't there something wrong with a culture that is clearly in that direction? Of course the list goes on. That's what I think explains Bill's opinions. He's thinking in terms of common sense and dislike of angry mobs pushing people around. He's stayed the same over the years. The cultural thinking has changed, for the worse, he'd say.

But that's the point--these questions have been asked and answered. It's not like people just "feel" like there's systemic racism in policing. Plenty of people cooperate with the police and wind up dead, or don't cooperate and wind up alive, and statistically race makes a difference there. (See also teaming up with white supremists against anti-racism protests.) Systemic racism is different than an individual saying something racist and apologizing for it.

And frankly, that's why it's so disingenous for him to describe his position on this as the one that's not too emotional, as if his own emotions aren't coming into play when he thinks it's silly. It's not just common sense, for instance, when he exaggerates the consequences people have faced or changes the facts to fit his own victim narrative. White people have a stake in systemic racism too. It's also ironic when put alongside the idea that police should get to kill anyone they want as long as they "feel" like their life is in danger. That's a blank check for murder they've got now.

I mean, yes, Bill's opinions probably aren't the things that's changed. He liked the version of liberalism that was just congratulating yourself on mostly solving racism in the 60s, even though the Civil Rights demands being made now aren't any different.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Plenty of people cooperate with the police and wind up dead, or don't cooperate and wind up alive, and statistically race makes a difference there.

I believe Bill wpuld say this is wrong. That maybe there have been a few out of millions who cooperated and ended up dead by psychotic cops (I'm talking last 30 or more years - not 60s and earlier). And that also, statstics show that it is the most egregious non-cooperaters who end up with problems, and those are mostly people of color. I do think the Hispanic cop who pepper sprayed that black military guy in Maryland was way in the wrong. There are problem people - whites, hispanics, blacks, asian - in the police who need to be rooted out. 

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I mean, yes, Bill's opinions probably aren't the things that's changed. He liked the version of liberalism that was just congratulating yourself on mostly solving racism in the 60s, even though the Civil Rights demands being made now aren't any different.

This seems inherently conservative: the issues have been resolved, done and dusted, and to fight for anything now is somehow unreasonable and entitled. I imagine this position is seductive to a lot of people

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I believe Bill wpuld say this is wrong. That maybe there have been a few out of millions who cooperated and ended up dead by psychotic cops (I'm talking last 30 or more years - not 60s and earlier). And that also, statstics show that it is the most egregious non-cooperaters who end up with problems, and those are mostly people of color. I do think the Hispanic cop who pepper sprayed that black military guy in Maryland was way in the wrong. There are problem people - whites, hispanics, blacks, asian - in the police who need to be rooted out. 

Yes, maybe he'd dismiss any particular incident as wrong but say the police were generally right and the system was working correctly. And expect that if he himself was ever stopped by police, however he acted, he wouldn't be killed by them.

• Love 3

Some people don’t have any intellectual curiosity, so they stick with what they believe to be true and refuse to hear anything else. 

You mean like Bill?

But as we know, he's got a bee in his bonnet about California, where he nevertheless continues to live.

That's another thing. There's nothing worse than some old rich guy living in California complaining about California. 

• Love 5

Here's what I don't get. Who didn't know that obesity was a risk factor for covid complications? Bill talked like this was some suppressed secret, and if only people knew about it, they would (in Bill's mind) have found the motivation they'd been lacking to lose weight. But who are these supposed fat people who didn't know? This was about as well known a risk factor as age and race. Fat people knew about it! They were shamed about it. It didn't suddenly make them get skinny.

• Love 8

I'm not a cancel culture person and don't need to listen to someone I agree with 100%, or else I would have stopped listening to Bill long ago.  I know he came on to Rose McGowan in a crude manner. I don't think he belongs on the same creeper list as Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby. I remember when he very stupidly used the n word. I still don't think he belongs on the white supremacist list. What's weird is it feels like yesterday when he himself said it was ridiculous some people thought reverse racism is worse. Lately he's been complaining more and more about cancel culture and "victims" like Sharon Osbourne. I believe in forgiveness and giving people the benefit of the doubt. I don't think saying your friend is entitled to his opinion for doubting a woman of color = racist or racist apologist. There's so much more to it though. When you've made bigoted comments to a black cohost, an Asian cohost, a lesbian cohost, an Iranian, if it walks like a duck...

For those who enjoy political talk with some humor, I really recommend Trevor Noah to anyone who doesn't already watch him. I know so many loved Jon Stewart, but I think Trevor is fabulous as well. He's intelligent, funny, and just comes across as a good human. As brilliant as he is, he isn't arrogant either. 

I do think there are people ignorant of how weight affects covid. Any regular watcher of Bill's already got the memo though. That said, most of the democrats I know are not nearly as ignorant as those stats he busted out suggest. I don't buy they're legitimate. 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:25 PM, Victor the Crab said:

And now Bill's trying to give Tucker a run for his money in the category "Privileged White Male Saying Ignorant Racist Shit!"

In all seriousness, Bill's got a way to go before catching up with Tucker. Bill may be a cranky old man who misses the days he fit in better with his party and could get away with saying more, but I wouldn't call him a white nationalist. Tucker's so racist and xenophobic, I don't know how he still has a show. It makes me sick someone as nasty as him is the most watched person on TV. That fact alone shows racism is alive and well. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

In all seriousness, Bill's got a way to go before catching up with Tucker. Bill may be a cranky old man who misses the days he fit in better with his party and could get away with saying more, but I wouldn't call him a white nationalist. Tucker's so racist and xenophobic, I don't know how he still has a show. It makes me sick someone as nasty as him is the most watched person on TV. That fact alone shows racism is alive and well. 

Considering all the shit he's said in the past concerning race, his casual use of stereotypes and tropes for his humor, his "house n!&&er" comments, not to mention his over the top Islamophobia, Bill's closing that gap, AFAIC!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

That would have been the case ten years ago. But now, Bill has become a shade away from turning into one of those talking heads on Fox News. Inviting people on with a differing opinion than yours isn't the problem, Jon Stewart did that a lot when he hosted the Daily Show. But allowing them, for the most part, to spew their well rehearsed talking points without much push back IS a problem. One that Bill doesn't seem to care about. Jon would never have allowed the likes of Ann Coulter, Ben Shapiro, Mio Yiannopoulos, Steve Bannon, and their ilk to get away with their bullshit. Jon was lionized when he left his show. I doubt Bill will even come close to such acclaim when he finally leaves.

Something changed in Bill, whether it was Berkeley cancelling his act, or Ben Affleck calling him out over his Islamophobia, or just that there are more and more comedians with their own shows discussing current events who do a far better job and are far more popular. Bill has allowed his nasty side to take over his entire thought process, and his intellectual curiosity has been replaced with his unbelievable bullshit. When he said he doesn't need re-education, he wasn't wrong as he's becoming more and more blatantly ignorant as time goes by.

Bill is entitled to his own opinion, but he's not entitled to his own facts. Something he has more and more in common with the right wing media.

Best post yet in this thread! Spot on with every point you made. They say as you age you become more conservative...that has not happened to me but I think that has happened to Bill. Also, he seems very bitter and angry. I don’t know why...he has achieved a level of success that most comedians never achieve...has a multi million dollar mansion, powerful friends  in the industry and other perks that come with having a show on a premium cable network. What’s to be so pissed off about? Because Berkeley passed on having you speak there? I’m afraid Bill has turned into not only a whiny little bitch but quite the Snowflake as well.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Best post yet in this thread! Spot on with every point you made. They say as you age you become more conservative...that has not happened to me but I think that has happened to Bill. Also, he seems very bitter and angry. I don’t know why...he has achieved a level of success that most comedians never achieve...has a multi million dollar mansion, powerful friends  in the industry and other perks that come with having a show on a premium cable network. What’s to be so pissed off about? Because Berkeley passed on having you speak there? I’m afraid Bill has turned into not only a whiny little bitch but quite the Snowflake as well.

I'm also curious. Bill's said many times he was never interested in marriage or children. While I think we all need love and human connection in our lives, I don't think a traditional family is for everyone. As far as we know, Bill's a healthy, wealthy guy whose dreams came true, has friends he enjoys, and has female companions as well. I'm also not sure why he comes across unhappy. Is he cool all week, then vents on Friday?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm also curious. Bill's said many times he was never interested in marriage or children. While I think we all need love and human connection in our lives, I don't think a traditional family is for everyone. As far as we know, Bill's a healthy, wealthy guy whose dreams came true, has friends he enjoys, and has female companions as well. I'm also not sure why he comes across unhappy. Is he cool all week, then vents on Friday?

His "love" life has not been very traditional from what I've read. He's been known to frequent swinger clubs and was a frequent guest at the Playboy Mansion...nothing wrong with that at all if that is what you're into. He had one live in situation that I know of that was years ago...I forgot her name but she was a video regular in rap videos...her specialty was BJ's. That ended badly and when he broke up with her she sued him. Maybe that soured him on having deeper relationships, I don't know. He did get called out by Rose McGowan for a "Me Too" moment she had with him when she was a guest on his show "Politically Incorrect"...google it. Whether his personal life has turned him into curmudgeony old fart is a possiblity...maybe the lockdown has gotten to him...he did lose a ton of stand up gigs and that had to piss him off. But plenty of Americans have lost their jobs and businesses and don't have the same assets he does...he has plenty of $$$ to keep him comfortable for the rest of his life and has it a lot better than a majority of other Americans. Whatever the reasons are for his anger and bitterness it maybe time for reflection on his part and let go of petty beefs that occured years ago ( i.e. Berkeley) and show some compassion and kindness for a change...angry humor is funny and some people do it really well like Lewis Black...but Bill just spews and spits out stuff that seems to come from a very dark place in his soul.

• Love 4

I stopped watching a while ago, but drop in on the forums to get the feedback.  I could excuse Bill for being an entitled "whiny little bitch" if he were funny and made me laugh.  He stopped doing that a couple of years ago.  Nothing sadder than an aging, unfunny comedian.

• Love 7

Generally speaking there appears to be a serious lack of nuance that has crept into the show (and Bill, presumably). I noticed it at a couple of points.

• The discussion with Osbourne skipped over a lot of the depth of what happened with the Oprah interview and Piers Morgan, as well as what some of her past colleagues alleged, and was boiled down to a couple of rants that underscored the point he was trying to make about cancel culture. They looked like a couple of mean girls at the popular table in the cafeteria after teachers called them out on their behaviour.
  • The angry declaration that yes, of course, white people are allowed to talk about black issues. That's not untrue, but props to Ian for trying to push back on the obvious problems with the points being made, specifically that blacks who resist arrest are a lot more likely to be violently taken down than whites who resist. I almost expected Bill to say something like, "then they should definitely know better."

The whole thing about how he rages against "wokeness" and cancel culture in general makes me uncomfortable. There is a vast landscape between "I should be able to say whatever I want with impunity" and "that person who said the n-word in high school 20 years ago when talking about rap music should be tarred and feathered, fired from their job, and forever cast out from polite society."

Sneering at the term "wokeness" implies that people are too sensitive and just need to grow up, when a lot of people out there have been, and are being, badly hurt by a lot of other people, in a lot of different ways, at a lot of different levels (individually and systemically). The term "cancel culture" suggests some monolithic movement devouring humanity without just cause. But both of these are much more complex than that, as issues concerning human beings typically are.

Yes there have been some extreme examples that went too far, but people should be ready to accept the consequences for their words and actions, especially in the present. If the moral arc of the universe is bending towards justice, it should be expected that people who habitually demonstrate a lack of respect to their fellows will see those fellows wash their hands and turn their backs. If corporations recognize that trend (for they rarely lead and usually follow in matters of social justice), they will also respond in kind. To me, that is not some unjustified cancel culture. That is justifiable social (and corporate) responsibility.

By all means, push back against the overreactions (and the underreactions for that matter), but don't paint over the entire nuanced picture with a splash of whitewash or a stripe of tar. 

Respect is key to a civilized society.

• Love 7