Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Zoey’s Extraordinary Mystery

• Start Topic

I didn't think it was Emily and then of course it all made sense.

I'm guessing it's post partum depression, and my heart broke for her when she started singing the song.  So gut wrenching.  Well done to the actress who plays Emily.

(Also, I think she sang the song better than the person who wrote it).

Thank god for the silliness that was the Fox song.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

At first I thought it was Zoey's mom's song, but Emily's comment about asking the psychic for some joy (and the expression on her face when she said it) should have tipped me off. 

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I'm guessing it's post partum depression, and my heart broke for her when she started singing the song.  So gut wrenching.  Well done to the actress who plays Emily.

I was wondering if the timeline was right for post partum depression. I hope Emily can get whatever kind of help she needs, because it can be serious. 

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. It was fun trying to match up people with songs, and I was mostly able to keep track of it.

Mo can't be with Perry. She isn't ready to be in a relationship with someone who has kids and has to put his kids first.  (I realize we are dealing with a fictional character, but what pronouns should we be using for Mo?)

Zoey is really bad at emotions and reading people and I totally relate to her in that respect. To me, that's why the show works. It's basic storytelling/plot development-what is your character good at, and then make them deal with the opposite of that. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I was wondering if the timeline was right for post partum depression.

The Mayo Clinic page says, "Symptoms usually develop within the first few weeks after giving birth, but may begin earlier ― during pregnancy ― or later — up to a year after birth."

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I was wondering if the timeline was right for post partum depression. I hope Emily can get whatever kind of help she needs, because it can be serious. 

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. It was trying to match up people with songs, and I was mostly able to keep track of it.

Mo can't be with Perry. She isn't ready to be in a relationship with someone who has kids and has to put his kids first.  (I realize we are dealing with a fictional character, but what pronouns should we be using for Mo?)

Zoey is really bad at emotions and reading people and I totally relate to her in that respect. To me, that's why the show works. It's basic storytelling/plot development-what is your character good at, and then make them deal with the opposite of that. 

I guessed it was Emily when Zoey talked about her wanting to get drinks. That combined with the question about joy was a big red flag. It sounds like it will be a post partum depression story, but hopefully they will get her help now and she can improve.

Mo's goes by he/him. I agree he isn't ready to be with someone who has kids. Perry leaving to get the stuffed animal to the son should not have been such a big deal. I did like that they had the kid be the one to sing the song though. The actor did a great job!

I liked the psychic's reaction to hearing about Zoey's powers. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I don’t quite remember what Mo has said previously, but Zoey said “he” tonight and probably in the past as well. I think the episode about Mo’s church also used “he”

Entertaining episode. I figured it was Emily with the sad song maybe halfway through

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

(I realize we are dealing with a fictional character, but what pronouns should we be using for Mo?)

Both Mo and his portrayer Alex Newell use he/him, I believe.

And yes, Zoey is awful at reading people. I feel like the show has shown that subtly through a season and a half and seem to really being upping that in case we missed it. Which isn’t a knock, I think it’s a good move frankly. I love her but she was really wrapped up in herself when the show started. I like seeing growth in the character.

• Love 9

As soon as Zoey mentioned Emily texting her, I knew she was the one who the sad heart song belonged to. Hopefully Emily will get the support she needs. 

Loved Mo creating a whole murder board complete with red string to figure out the mystery.

The young actor playing Perry’s son has such a good voice!

I actually thought Zoey would tell Simon about her powers but I guess she still isn’t ready. But the longer they’re together without her telling him, the more upset Simon will be that she kept it from him. I know it wouldn’t be easy to just tell someone that you have magical powers that let you hear people’s emotions through song, because most people probably will think you’re nuts, but still. 

• Love 13

Honestly, I think this is one of the best episodes of the season. MMV, of course, but even the deployment of the lovely Mary Steenbergen who CANNOT sing a bit...it totally worked. And watching her dance behind Zoey was incredible.

Okay, I'll stop posting now. Maybe.

• Love 18

Argh.. my dvr cut out at the 35 minute mark for no known reason ( other things recorded just fine at that same time) so I missed everything after Zoey and Mo walking into the art show... I know I can catch it tomorrow on demand but I’m sure the back half of the show had all the answers!! 

Simon and the fox song was great! Makes sense that Emily is the super sad song, she has really seemed to be struggling since Miles was born.

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 2

This show just works so much better when Zoey’s powers are front and center. The mystery aspect was a really fun twist and a great way of getting her to focus on others. Plus the show works better when Zoey and Mo talk through the songs. 

The one thing that disappointed me was Simon and Zoey. Once again the show skips over the beginning of her relationship and drops us right in the middle of problems. The writers are really bad a writing romantic relationships. 

I swear, Leif is just straight up wearing leggings now. They're doing this on purpose!

I had to immediately rewatch this one one; the glitch and the mystery theme were a nice change of format. So many surprises and reveals.

I noticed they kept mentioning Emily, but I didn't think she'd be the sad song. One of the better reveals was the kid singing Simon's song; he was so talented! I knew 'What Does the Fox Say' was coming, but it was still hilarious. Also hilarious was Mary Steenburgen dancing in the background of Zoey's scene!

Aw, so much Zoey/Simon cuteness! At least one of my TV couples gets to cuddle. I like how they're both kind of dorks. Did not like that they apparently skipped over the first couple weeks of their new relationship (but the season is short, I guess...); because I would like to see a conversation with Simon and Max about Zoey - which they've never done - since they're all supposed to be friends and all.

I guess I can see what the show is doing with Zoey not telling Simon about her power - a different approach for a different love interest, since things went south with Max even though he knows. But it will just cause a different set of problems. Another approach would be for Zoey to tell Simon but he reacts differently than Max. But oh well. And I guess they aren't going to deal with Zoey dating a subordinate? They didn't with Leif and Joan, either.

It was fine for this particular episode, but I wish the Brogrammers had more to do; and that Zoey did more at SprqPoint.

• Love 7

basically .... Simon and Zoey are a couple? and so she wasn't ready for Max but is she ready for Simon?  and then the confirmation that Zoey lied to him about not being ready for a relationship and that he wasn't the problem !!!

Ps: reading the comments I read that they only returned to friends as nothing had happened ... I hope it is not true which would show a Max who has been teased by the woman he truly loves, he who is aware of this  and accepted it !!!!it would be a really 

comment read on reddit and that for me perfectly describes the problem between Zoey / Simon .... I feel like Simons is more relaxed than Max, so their relationship will be fine until she reveals her powers and he gets mad at  being manipulated and spied on all this time.  The only reason they first connected was because he has suicidal thoughts due to his depression.  She will see him in the worst light than Max, especially if she drags him for so long.

Edited by ciubecca98
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ciubecca98 said:

basically .... Simon and Zoey are a couple? and so she wasn't ready for Max but is she ready for Simon?  Thank you

I don’t think it’s that simple. Based on her behavior this episode Zoey isn’t really ready to be in a relationship with Simon either. This episode reminded me a lot of Zoey and Max’s breakup episode. Starts out lovey dovey and deteriorates from there. Zoey’s evasive behavior and Simon’s heart song are not great signs. 

“I'm tired of being played like a violin
What do I gotta do to get in your heart?”

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Dani said:

I don’t think it’s that simple. Based on her behavior this episode Zoey isn’t really ready to be in a relationship with Simon either. This episode reminded me a lot of Zoey and Max’s breakup episode. Starts out lovey dovey and deteriorates from there. Zoey’s evasive behavior and Simon’s heart song a not great signs. 

“I'm tired of being played like a violin
What do I gotta do to get in your heart?”

what bothers me the most is her constant lying ... you say you're not ready but then you put yourself with Simon and first of all he should know about his power ... too easy to choose between Max who knows and with whom he doesn't  it opens as it does with Simon who, however, does not know about his trick ....

I just hope we won't get to a foregone conclusion !!!! Zoey realizes she was wrong ..... but for Max being with Rose With whom there is no problem of power and who knows what he wants

comment read on reddit and that for me perfectly describes the problem between Zoey / Simon .... I feel like Simons is more relaxed than Max, so their relationship will be fine until she reveals her powers and he gets mad at  being manipulated and spied on all this time.  The only reason they first connected was because he has suicidal thoughts due to his depression.  She will see him in the worst light than Max, especially if she drags him for so long.

and in any case the friends as before just no !!!!  she told him that she was not ready for a relationship and then start it with another ... it would have been more real to see a Max if he felt teased and therefore angry !!!!

and necessarily that she is better with Simon ... Max since he learned of the power to always and only immediately because of that .... when he found out ..... to discover that the woman you love knows about your feeling  and instead of addressing the issue she makes sure to get you away by letting you go out with another woman !!!!

Edited by ciubecca98

The programmers sing "One" by Three Dog Night

I like that the show is getting back to Zoey trying to help people when she hears their songs. That was one of the things I really liked in S1.

I know that even if Mo and Perry get serious, the odds of having August sing regularly are slim to none, but I'm so glad we got to hear him this week because damn, that kid is awesome!

I laughed SO HARD at Simon singing that fox song. I loved how much he got into it. The stool he made for Zoey was so thoughtful and sweet.

I liked that Zoey ended up getting some really good advice from Nova the psychic. As great as it is that she uses her powers to help people, you don't need any special powers to just pay attention to the people around you. The songs during S1 seemed to reveal emotions that people were trying to hide, but Emily was being pretty obvious. Your sister in law just had a baby, then went back to work after her husband quit his job so she's now the sole breadwinner, and now she's sending you random texts in the middle of the day asking to get a drink with you? She is reaching out and needs someone to talk to. I'm not psychic and even I knew that as soon as she sent the first text. I'm guessing it's post partum depression and that she's been hiding it because of Mitch's death, but it could just be the stress of the last few months. Either way, I'm glad that someone finally heard Emily's cries for help.

When Maggie told Zoey she could ask Mitch where he put the rice cooker, it reminded me of the very short-lived sitcom Go On, which was about Matthew Perry dealing with life after his wife passed away. In one scene he got frustrated about not knowing what their itunes password was (apparently only his wife knew what it was!).

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In one scene he got frustrated about not knowing what their itunes password was (apparently only his wife knew what it was!).

lol...I know that frustration, and it's my password!

• LOL 3

Zoey needs to tell Simon about her powers and the sooner the better. Max wasn't wrong that there's a power imbalance that's weird, but at least he knew about it and was able to make an informed decision to be in a relationship with Zoey. Simon doesn't get to make that choice and that really sucks for him. Zoey can't control hearing the heart songs but she certainly can control being honest about it.

As for the mysteries this week, it does show that Zoey uses her powers as a crutch. She shouldn't need a song to know that someone who implies that their life is joyless and then spends the week reaching out to hang out might need some support. She shouldn't need a song to know that if she bails on her boyfriend at the last minute with no real explanation he might be wondering how seriously she's taking the relationship. She shouldn't need a song to know that her recently widowed mother might have a hard time hosting a couples dinner party. And I get that not everyone is super tuned in emotionally but Zoey doesn't try beyond the songs at all. I love that Nova called her out at the end. I also love that Nova just went with it when Zoey explained having powers.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Emily made me cry. 😞 

12 hours ago, saoirse said:

Oh my god, I’m still crying. I suspected it was Emily, but that last scene wrecked me.

😭

12 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

So gut wrenching.  Well done to the actress who plays Emily.

Alice Lee plays Emily
Episode writing credit: Samantha McIntyre
Alice Lee/Emily's sad delivery of what she wanted Zoey to ask at her gifted psychic session ("Maybe ask the psychic if I'll ever feel joy again.") could be used as a contemporary example of Chekhovian foreshadowing --especially since this was a sort of mystery episode.

10 hours ago, Dani said:

This show just works so much better when Zoey’s powers are front and center. The mystery aspect was a really fun twist and a great way of getting her to focus on others. Plus the show works better when Zoey and Mo talk through the songs. 

Yes. Best script, IMO, although my opinion was in part triggered by "One Is The Loneliest Number" which was my heart song when Three Dog Night's version was played over AM radio when I was 16 and my 19-year-old boyfriend was in Vietnam. Sorry. Alice Lee and Samantha McIntyre have triggered.

11 hours ago, saoirse said:

Honestly, I think this is one of the best episodes of the season. MMV, of course, but even the deployment of the lovely Mary Steenbergen who CANNOT sing a bit...it totally worked. And watching her dance behind Zoey was incredible.

Okay, I'll stop posting now. Maybe.

Don't Stop!
isn't that also a song?

12 hours ago, saoirse said:

I really enjoyed that Simon’s song was switched with Perry’s son - they were both delightful! Honestly, all the songs were fun tonight.

Yes. On Hulu Perry's singing son is credited as Rocco Morris. Awesome kid singer-performer. I profoundly apologize for any negative generalizations I have ever made about kid actors.

Edited by shapeshifter
thanks to ElectricBoogaloo for Emily's exact line
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Alice Lee plays Emily
Episode writing credit: Samantha McIntyre
Alice Lee/Emily's sad delivery of what she wanted Zoey to ask at her gifted psychic session ("Maybe ask the psychic if I'll ever feel joy again.") could be used as a contemporary example of Chekhovian foreshadowing --especially since this was a sort of mystery episode.

It was incedibler foreshadowing. I've loved Alice Lee since she was in Heathers the musical. She's so talented 

• Love 5

Random thoughts on S2 E9,

1) Interest plot twist with the cross-party heart songs. Clever without being completely silly and it did set up a fair amount of comedy.

2) Enjoyable episode to watch and re-focused Zoey and Mo on what drove S1 besides the Mitch dying story.

3) She couldn't tell Simon the truth. Not a good sign for their relationship. But I doubt he would believe her just on her say-so. It will probably take Mo to be there to confirm that Zoey's not making it up. Unfortunately, this will lead direction to some realizations for Simon that maybe Zoey has been manipulating him, although I think he could get over it.

4) Zoey's not Simon's "supervisor", whatever that might mean in the tech world. His office just happens to be on the 4th Floor where Zoey's engineering group is. She never gives him assignments or anything. So we can ignore that aspect of their relationship, although it is weird to see your lover at work every day. That could cause a strain. I'll be disappointed if they use the boss/subordinate angle to advance the plot. That would just be lazy.

5) Is this "medium" the beginning of Zoey's spiritual journey? She learned that her powers are just supposed to be the start of her empathetic growth, not the sum total of it. If the medium is a recurring character, I will again be disappointed since they had so many better supporting characters in S1 -- Howie, Mo's pastor etc. -- while the medium is just kooky and admitted to being something of a fraud.

6) I'll tell you what would make for a good plot direction: Zoey is distracted from her relationship with Simon by her efforts to understand her powers better so she can explain them to Simon so he doesn't think she's as kooky as the medium. (Note that Simon already is suspicious of people making supernatural claims!)  LIke what if Simon sees Zoey having coffee with the MRI technician? Or out playing darts again with Mo's pastor. She can't tell Simon what's she doing, yet she's spending time with all these other guys he doesn't know ... and keeping it secret from him.

7) See glad Bernadette Peters is back in E10. Maybe we'll get back in gear from the sophomore slump.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, phalange said:

Loved Mo creating a whole murder board complete with red string to figure out the mystery.

That was my favorite part. He was so proud of it! And while I'm not a fan of SUV SVU (sorry, a local newscaster once mistakenly called it SUV and that's what it's been to me ever since), I love Mo's enthusiasm for the format.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like that the show is getting back to Zoey trying to help people when she hears their songs. That was one of the things I really liked in S1.

Same. I'm tired of Zoey's wallowing, whether it's in grief over her father or her romantic life or whatever. She's not introspective enough about herself to make that interesting for endless episodes.

Poor Simon. He's going to take it on the chin sooner or later. That stool he made for Zoey was adorable, and such a thoughtful gift.

This was the best episode of the season so far for me.

• Love 9

holy words about Zoey / Simon and her power !!!
I agree with this and I think in the back of her mind that's exactly why Zoey isn't telling him. They only really got to know each other because of her powers and he has said multiple times that he loves how insightful she is. And this episode basically proved that's only because of her powers.

ps: sooner or later he has to jump out and for them it will be the end and I would not be surprised to see him in the season finale (given what little Jane ), and with Zoey who will remain without a relationship (which is really  need!!!)

the only thing that was true was that with Max but choosing or failing to open up with him as he has done since the first season with Simon made Max go to Rose

Edited by ciubecca98
  • Love 3

I suspected that Emily had the sad song when Zoey kept commenting on how Emily kept texting her, but the reveal at the end was really heartbreaking. The actress playing Emily was really great, I am guessing that she is dealing with some post partum depression issues, hopefully this means that she will get the help that she needs. I am glad that they are returning to Zoey using her heartsongs to help people and that hearing the songs will help her understand people more. Zoey started off really in her own world with a real problem having empathy for the people around her and seeing beyond their surface, and she still can be rather like that even if she has grown, so I am glad that she has realized that there has to be more to helping people then just hearing their songs. Emily was clearly crying out for help, but because she wasn't singing right in her face she didn't pick up on what was actually going on. That psychic might not have had the most impressive mastery of seeing the Other Side, but she did give Zoey some good advice on how her gift should be a tool, not an end all be all when it comes to helping people. 

Love Mo and his murder board! 

Everyone getting different songs was a lot of fun, especially Simon and Perry's son switching songs. Simon was really going for it and the kid playing Perry's son has a great voice! Simon's gift for Zoey was really sweet and I like them so far as a couple, but I wish Zoey would tell him about her power. Yeah its weird, but the longer she waits the longer Simon could be hurt or pissed that she kept this from him. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I suspected that Emily had the sad song when Zoey kept commenting on how Emily kept texting her, but the reveal at the end was really heartbreaking. The actress playing Emily was really great, I am guessing that she is dealing with some post partum depression issues, hopefully this means that she will get the help that she needs. I am glad that they are returning to Zoey using her heartsongs to help people and that hearing the songs will help her understand people more. Zoey started off really in her own world with a real problem having empathy for the people around her and seeing beyond their surface, and she still can be rather like that even if she has grown, so I am glad that she has realized that there has to be more to helping people then just hearing their songs. Emily was clearly crying out for help, but because she wasn't singing right in her face she didn't pick up on what was actually going on. That psychic might not have had the most impressive mastery of seeing the Other Side, but she did give Zoey some good advice on how her gift should be a tool, not an end all be all when it comes to helping people. 

Love Mo and his murder board! 

Everyone getting different songs was a lot of fun, especially Simon and Perry's son switching songs. Simon was really going for it and the kid playing Perry's son has a great voice! Simon's gift for Zoey was really sweet and I like them so far as a couple, but I wish Zoey would tell him about her power. Yeah its weird, but the longer she waits the longer Simon could be hurt or pissed that she kept this from him. 

Not only does she keep it hidden she also used it to get close to him and that's thanks to who I am together !!!!

here for me the big difference between Max and Simon is that Max's feeling was born normally because it must be said Zoey in the first season has always shown that he did not care so he did not put a hand in it but rather used the power to distance him from  her, but then Max also accepted the power until the communication problems arrived while with Simon it started thanks to his power and still continues with that !!!

Edited by ciubecca98
  • Love 1

My guess is that Zoey will tell Simon in the season finale, because that seems like a big dramatic reveal that would be perfect for a season finale and cause people to watch the next season to see what happens. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I guessed it was Emily when Zoey talked about her wanting to get drinks. That combined with the question about joy was a big red flag. It sounds like it will be a post partum depression story, but hopefully they will get her help now and she can improve.

Mo's goes by he/him. I agree he isn't ready to be with someone who has kids. Perry leaving to get the stuffed animal to the son should not have been such a big deal. I did like that they had the kid be the one to sing the song though. The actor did a great job!

I liked the psychic's reaction to hearing about Zoey's powers. 

I agree with your whole post, but especially the part bolded by me.  At first I didn't like the psychic, but when she found out about Zoey's power and then when she got excited for Zoey when she figured it out it was Emily really made me like her.  I hope she pops in occasionally to knock some sense into Zoey. 

15 hours ago, saoirse said:

This was MS's best performance on this show.  I thought it was so funny. 

14 hours ago, Dani said:

I loved this mystery plot.  I thought this was the best episode this season by far. 

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. Best script, IMO, although my opinion was in part triggered by "One Is The Loneliest Number" which was my heart song when Three Dog Night's version was played over AM radio when I was 16 and my 19-year-old boyfriend was in Vietnam. Sorry. Alice Lee and Samantha McIntyre have triggered.

I was born in '72.  My parents were big fans of Three Dog Night, especially Joy to the World.  I always loved One.  It gave me so many emotions even at a young age!

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

My guess is that Zoey will tell Simon in the season finale, because that seems like a big dramatic reveal that would be perfect for a season finale and cause people to watch the next season to see what happens. 

Yeah, this sounds likely. 

• Love 4

Wow, that episode was so, wow! Best episode ever.

I understand postpartum depression. I had it after my second son was born. I was so over the moon with my first son and everything was good. But I found myself sad and depressed after I had my second even though I was happy to have another son. I was also out of it a lot, like I was in zombie mode. My sister came to visit me a few weeks after my son was born and said he looked like he had lost weight and wasn't growing. I told her I didn't think so. Also he was a quiet baby and didn't cry much. I thought if something was wrong he would cry. I told her I had a well baby appointment that week and she was relieved.

When the doctor looked at my son, not only had he not gained weight but was below his birth weight! Turned out he wasn't gaining weight because he was allergic to breast milk and regular formula and had to be put on soybean based formula. I was horrified that I was so out of it that I didn't notice this about my own child!  He was put in hospital and came home a week later after he gained weight on the new formula. The doctor said not to blame myself as he had questioned me how often I fed him and said that should have been enough, and because he was such a quiet baby and didn't cry even though he wasn't getting enough nutrients when I fed him. He said he probably would just have quietly faded away.  On the new formula he thrived. But when I think back that if I hadn't had an appointment and kept not noticing he wasn't gaining weight I might have lost him. To this day 40 years later the thought still shakes me.

About a month after this crisis my depression subsided. So watching Emily cry and sing that song really resonated with me because I also felt like no noticed how sad and out of it I was.

Also want to add that today he is a fireman, in the National Guard and co-owner of a CrossFit gym!

Edited by gail56
  • Love 22

I really could have done without "What Does the Fox Say" and ever seeing or hearing that.

I'm also not impressed with the pacing of the show.  IMO, there are some serious storytelling flaws here that are turning me off.  As was mentioned above, but I think it bears repeating - Zoey wasn't ready to be with Max because of her grief, but she can all of a sudden be with Simon with no problem?  I don't blame Max for not waiting around for her, but he's now madly in love with a girl he knew years ago at summer camp, and he and Zoey act like nothing happened.  Are they trying to portray a mature, adult reaction to their situation?  It's not really working for me.  I also wouldn't mind some sort of acknowledgement from Simon that Zoey picked Max first, and is only now with Simon because Max told her she needed more time for herself.  But does Simon know that?  Does he care?  He's always struck me as selfish, and their PDA-in-the-office romance is still icking me out.

I also understand that they are most likely portraying a post-partum depression story with Emily, but it really is a complete 180 from last week's episode when she was all hot-for-dad-band David and seemed super happy.  I'm wondering if it'll be more of a bipolar or manic depressive storyline.  Maybe this will be a way to bring back her sister, who I actually kind of miss.

Perry's son is a fantastic singer. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I really could have done without "What Does the Fox Say" and ever seeing or hearing that.

I'm also not impressed with the pacing of the show.  IMO, there are some serious storytelling flaws here that are turning me off.  As was mentioned above, but I think it bears repeating - Zoey wasn't ready to be with Max because of her grief, but she can all of a sudden be with Simon with no problem?  I don't blame Max for not waiting around for her, but he's now madly in love with a girl he knew years ago at summer camp, and he and Zoey act like nothing happened.  Are they trying to portray a mature, adult reaction to their situation?  It's not really working for me.  I also wouldn't mind some sort of acknowledgement from Simon that Zoey picked Max first, and is only now with Simon because Max told her she needed more time for herself.  But does Simon know that?  Does he care?  He's always struck me as selfish, and their PDA-in-the-office romance is still icking me out.

I also understand that they are most likely portraying a post-partum depression story with Emily, but it really is a complete 180 from last week's episode when she was all hot-for-dad-band David and seemed super happy.  I'm wondering if it'll be more of a bipolar or manic depressive storyline.  Maybe this will be a way to bring back her sister, who I actually kind of miss.

Perry's son is a fantastic singer. 

nice to read that there is someone who thinks exactly the same as for the triangle !!!!!  I don't understand if they can't write or if the writers wanted to mess it up so much on purpose because certain choices of Max and Zoey are really absurd and incomprehensible

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This is the guy who nearly had an affair with Zoey while he was engaged, so I'd say no. Simon does not or would not care. 

Four episodes left... 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

This is the guy who nearly had an affair with Zoey while he was engaged, so I'd say no. Simon does not or would not care. 

Four episodes left... 

already and this is also one of the reasons why I don't like Simon / Zoey ... him who gets interested and almost goes to bed with another woman while he is engaged and Zoey who uses her power to approach / conquer him, and  episodes are only three and for those like me who hoped in the real couple Max / Zoey we can forget it !!

in short, between Zoey / Simon I see a false feeling since the great feeling etc etc that Simon has seen born and grow up is due to power, the only true feeling was what Max has or had for Zoey

Edited by ciubecca98
  • Love 1

Zoey and Simon are so cute and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're relationship will evolve but I know they are going to have drama over Zoey powers, I just hoe they can come out on the other side together. 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, mommalib said:

Zoey and Simon are so cute and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're relationship will evolve but I know they are going to have drama over Zoey powers, I just hoe they can come out on the other side together. 

I just don't understand you need to be more realistic as a couple who was born thanks to powers and without which there would not be, and the thing is quite evident !!!!  therefore a thing born, grown, matured and that continues thanks to a (trick) and without sincerity leaves a bad taste in my mouth and without forgetting how much Zoey is manipulating Simon thanks to that ....

Jane Levy doesn't enough credit for all of her great reactions to all the crazy/weird stuff that happens around her with her powers. Her expressions are hilarious sometimes, and she's got great timing.

I generally love the fashion choices for everyone; I especially liked Zoey's purple coat near the end of the episode. Also they've been dressing Simon in a lot of black or dark neutrals lately; he does look good in that palette, but I wish they'd add back some more color to his wardrobe. Not so much a fan of Mo's blond-ish wigs.

Even though it has supposedly been a few weeks, it's interesting that Max has apparently completely moved on from Zoey. Not surprising though, since I assume the writers don't want any drama from that corner of the triangle. Not that I was expecting him to wait around forever, but it's going to be even weirder when the show tries to swing back to Zoey/Max. (I'm mostly sure this is going to happen; I'd be very surprised if they didn't have at least one side attempt it.)

16 hours ago, Dani said:

I don’t think it’s that simple. Based on her behavior this episode Zoey isn’t really ready to be in a relationship with Simon either. This episode reminded me a lot of Zoey and Max’s breakup episode. Starts out lovey dovey and deteriorates from there. Zoey’s evasive behavior and Simon’s heart song are not great signs.

I don't think she necessarily being evasive even if she's keeping her (big, weird, insane-sounding) secret from him -- for now. She could still tell him. But I can see how Zoey would think things might turn out better by not telling him, especially when this relationship is so new.

---

This isn't a response to any particular comment here; I don't agree with the idea that Zoey is a liar/manipulator, and that she shouldn't be with anyone. She's doing her best to deal with life, and this unwanted, unexplainable, uncontrollable power; and it may not be something she can or should share with everyone. I'm here for the romantic entanglements and seeing how things go. To me, both her pairings have merit (and flaws).

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Trini said:

Even though it has supposedly been a few weeks, it's interesting that Max has apparently completely moved on from Zoey. Not surprising though, since I assume the writers don't want any drama from that corner of the triangle. Not that I was expecting him to wait around forever, but it's going to be even weirder when the show tries to swing back to Zoey/Max. (I'm mostly sure this is going to happen; I'd be very surprised if they didn't have at least one side attempt it.)

I could be misremembering but I thought Rose was only there temporarily, so I figure at some point her job will wrap up and she'll go home. Then Max can have some angst.

• Love 3

Am I the only one who thought that Nova was going to be the super sad person?  When Zoey went back to her place, I was sure it was going to be her.  And I was expecting either a song revealing that she knew she was a fake, or that she was the real deal but no one would believe her. I was wrong on all accounts.  I wouldn't mind her being a recurring character, sort of to give Mo a break from being the confidant all the time.

This was a great episode and the glitch was a clever twist to mix things up a bit.  Skylar just belted out that sad sad song. 

Mo's wigs are giving me flashbacks to Schitt's Creek and Moira's wig collection.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Am I the only one who thought that Nova was going to be the super sad person?  When Zoey went back to her place, I was sure it was going to be her.  And I was expecting either a song revealing that she knew she was a fake, or that she was the real deal but no one would believe her. I was wrong on all accounts. ...

You were not!

9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I could be misremembering but I thought Rose was only there temporarily, so I figure at some point her job will wrap up and she'll go home. Then Max can have some angst.

True.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Am I the only one who thought that Nova was going to be the super sad person?  When Zoey went back to her place, I was sure it was going to be her.  And I was expecting either a song revealing that she knew she was a fake, or that she was the real deal but no one would believe her. I was wrong on all accounts.  I wouldn't mind her being a recurring character, sort of to give Mo a break from being the confidant all the time.

This was a great episode and the glitch was a clever twist to mix things up a bit.  Skylar just belted out that sad sad song. 

Mo's wigs are giving me flashbacks to Schitt's Creek and Moira's wig collection.

No, I thought that too. 

and many say that Zoey and Max are only good as best friends but the problem is that until now they are not even that because since the first season I have never seen them talk, open up, confide as two best friends would do, I have seen this  only between Zoey / Mo and Zoey / Simon (in this case because Zoey obviously interested ...) I remember an episode of the first season where Zoey had problems for her father and Max tried but she didn't want to talk about it then  be obliged when her mother had called Max ... if she considered him a best friend she would have been helped by talking about him instead for this reason which is very serious and important she has always chosen Simon (because there was also an ulterior motive)

• Love 1

I think what can make the Max/Zoey thing a struggle is that we don't have a good idea on the timeline. We know it was 3 months after Mitch died that this season started, and that's when Zoey and Max sort of got together.... for us it was very short how long they were together, maybe a couple of weeks? and then Zoey needed more time.... but we don't know how much time has gone by between then and last weeks episode when she got together with Simon. If another 3 months went by, that's more grieving time for her as a person by herself... and I wouldn't say that she lied about not being ready for Max but was magically ready for Simon... time went by, and unfortunately there is no set time for grief or for feelings. 

Max and Simon also became pretty good friends while Zoey was grieving her dad before the season started, and they both know they were interested in Zoey, so that might be playing a role here a well that Max isn't going to be pissed at his friend when his friend wasn't pissed at him when Zoey chose him... 

I'd rather they all get along with each other than have weird anger, so this direction doesn't bother me a ton, since I expect things to swing a different direction later.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

yes I seem to remember that it was six months ... so if Zoey / Simon breaks up in the finale, we will surely see Max go on with Rose

the worrying thing is that we do not have and it is not known if we will have the renewal which would be really terrible to conclude without an ending (I hope Max / Zoey)

Edited by ciubecca98
  • Love 2