Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Zoey’s Extraordinary Memory

• Start Topic

Leif tries my patience a lot of the time, but I felt bad for him that his date was just using him to get a job. That's a really shitty thing to do.

"This is an indoor wig." lol Mo. 

The ending was really cute, everyone singing in the car and Zoey keeping her dad's memory alive while creating new memories with her friends.

• Love 15

This is probably the best episode of the season, and Let’s Get Loud is the best number of the season. I like both of Max’s and Mo’s new love interests (I loved the actress in a small movie called Straight Up). 

• Love 11

I actually thought it was really pathetic and really inappropriate that David was trying to get into the band with those kids, instead of starting his own. He didn't even know what their music was like until after he asked to join them. 

So many awkward situations tonight. Besides the band thing, there was Leif's date, the picnic where Zoey wasn't admitting why she wanted it to be a certain way, and also the fire inspector who I actually liked a lot.

• Love 7

Everything Maximo's -related was great. I think we could have used less time with Zoey's brother and more with Zoey and her subplot. (But I've never really cared about Zoey's Brother.)

Rice of the World Bar!

It was kind of weird having Leif and Tobin in Zoey's plot, but I guess I appreciate the effort to include them, and I'm glad they gave Leif something to do.

So another love interest for Max? I wouldn't mind so much except that they never really resolved Zoey/Max; they broke up but then they mostly left things untouched since then -- not good, IMO. But speaking of this 'love square', they keep giving Simon and Zoey these little flirty moments, but I know they aren't going in that direction; so they should just stop that or just have them go for it as a couple, even if it's temporary.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I actually thought it was really pathetic and really inappropriate that David was trying to get into the band with those kids, instead of starting his own. He didn't even know what their music was like until after he asked to join them. 

I had intense secondhand embarrassment for him during all of those scenes. Oh, David. 

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So do we think we'll see the fire inspector again?

It seemed to me they were setting him up to be a possible boyfriend for Mo.

59 minutes ago, Trini said:

Rice of the World Bar!

That looked amazing! I was jealous.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

they keep giving Simon and Zoey these little flirty moments, but I know they aren't going in that direction; so they should just stop that or just have them go for it as a couple, even if it's temporary.

Did you see the preview for the next ep?

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I had intense secondhand embarrassment for him during all of those scenes. Oh, David. 

It seemed to me they were setting him up to be a possible boyfriend for Mo.

That looked amazing! I was jealous.

Did you see the preview for the next ep?

I didn't see the preview but seeing how Zoey ditched Max quickly I wouldn't be surprised if we see her go towards Simon (after all they always showed that she was interested in Simon and not Max)

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

they keep giving Simon and Zoey these little flirty moments,

Which annoys me because she's Simon's boss. I know the company doesn't really do appropriate corporate behavior, but you can't date your employees - that's why Joan cut off her fling with Leif. 

56 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Me too. I love that he's exploring a creative outlet and I liked that they didn't go the route of having him think he's a better player than he is - he's actually good! - but him trying to be cool in front of a bunch of 21-year-olds made me cringe - he cared way too much about what they thought of him. Surely there are people his age he could jam with? Another show I watch had a "dad band" at the center of an episode recently.

• Love 9

That was a really sweet episode, really glad to have this show back even if I temporarily forgot that it was on Sundays now. Nice finding a way to have Mitch be a part of Zoey's story even without him around, and I really like how it resolved. Instead of just recreating the memory that she made with her dad as much as possible, she made a new fun memory with her friends and got to share this with them the way her dad shared it with her. Some good songs too, especially Leif singing Tainted Love (he is consistently the shows best singer) and Mo and Max singing Lets Get Loud, which is one of the most fun songs the show has had in awhile. The ending was especially nice, everyone singing along with one of Mitch's favorite songs and watching the stars. 

David awkwardly trying to join the neighbors band was all kinds of cringe. Isn't there some kind of dad band he can join with guys his own age who can more understand his life as a parent who really needs a break from The Wiggles sometimes? Its nice that he can have an outlet at least. 

They keep giving Zoey and Simon these flirty moments, and I am not sure about that. She is still his boss and a boss/employee relationship is always going to be really questionable and messy, especially now that Simon is becoming a public figure. Plus, if she wasn't ready with Max, would she be ready with Simon? If she's ready with Simon like she wasn't with Max...I guess we know who she really wants to be with then. 

Leif isn't the nicest person, but it sucks that the women he liked was just using him to network. I did love Tobin getting into stargazing and him thinking that the Blair Witch project was a documentary. "Siri, is the Blair Witch real?" 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

That was a really sweet episode, really glad to have this show back even if I temporarily forgot that it was on Sundays now.

I didn't even know it had changed. I just go through the next week's tv listings some time over the weekend and note anything that's marked as new (then I know what I'm going to watch during the week and I don't find myself channel surfing on nights I know there's nothing on, because I don't even turn on the TV).

27 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

David awkwardly trying to join the neighbors band was all kinds of cringe. Isn't there some kind of dad band he can join with guys his own age who can more understand his life as a parent who really needs a break from The Wiggles sometimes? Its nice that he can have an outlet at least. 

Yeah, he really needs to find some friends who are more on his wavelength. They're in a big city; there's gotta be some kind of MeetUp group or something he can check out. I did laugh at the neighbor's "I love the Wiggles" after he left, though. Him talking about law concepts with the baby was cute, too. "I don't think he gets it." Though I wonder if he's regretting quitting his job or if he's just overwhelmed with the all-day baby stuff.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Though I wonder if he's regretting quitting his job or if he's just overwhelmed with the all-day baby stuff.

I think it's probably a bit of both, but mostly he has very little adult contact during the day.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Plus, if she wasn't ready with Max, would she be ready with Simon? If she's ready with Simon like she wasn't with Max...I guess we know who she really wants to be with then. 

Exact .... If as seemingly in the next episode we will see Zoey reflect on this and go to Simon we will have the confirmation that she has always missed me just as an excuse ....

Even though I know it's foolish to nitpick Maximo's restaurant logistics....

I assume that Maximo's has a set list of restaurants it's getting food from, and not just every place in San Francisco; so if Max didn't want to deal with 35(?) boxes and an instruction manual just to serve one meal, he could just ... not have that particular restaurant as an option?

Also I doubt that experimental gastronomy place would want it's specialized menu prepped and served anywhere else; but I know this show is a fantasy.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Trini said:

Also I doubt that experimental gastronomy place would want it's specialized menu prepped and served anywhere else; but I know this show is a fantasy.

I thought the same thing. "That doesn't sound like the kind of place that does takeout..."

• Love 3

I also didn't like the Zoey's Brother/band plot. I did appreciate that he was actually good at playing keyboard, but his immediate assumption that it was an audition and just everything made me wince. Although it was amusing when the band members were talking about David looking old; the one who said it looked at LEAST as old as David does.

I'm glad Max is getting a new love interest, but I'm annoyed that they're setting Simon and Zoey back up. Let her just be on her own for a while! Plus, of course, the power differential at work, which they won't begin to address. Just. Be. Single. I don't think she is ready, but the show needs the lead to have romantical problems. And then in a few months, Rose will need to go back to New York and will Max move and Zoey is so upset at the thought etc., etc.

• Love 6

Here's my theory on the cringeworthy David wants to jam with the band plot line...  I was listening to an interview with Jane Levy recently (I'm pretty sure it was the Awards Chatter podcast) and she was talking how during the first season her schedule was insane because she was in almost every single scene.  I could tell at the beginning of the second season her screen time was reduced.  I think they're trying to figure out plot lines that involve secondary characters that don't or just minimally involve Zoey.  Max & Mo have their own thing going this season, but it's been harder to do family stuff without a lot of Zoey.  So maybe this was an attempt at that.  I really don't think the neighbor kid plots - with Zoey or David - are necessary at all, and they seem to be shoehorned in.

PS - Jane Levy isn't a natural redhead.  Learned that from the interview, too.

• Love 7

I totally get reducing Jane’s time involvement, she was in so much of the show. But they always give the brother such weird plots. I mean, David and Emily have a newborn, that should easily drive plots. Emily as a lawyer could have helped Mo and Max with getting up the restaurant. 

• Love 8

Yeah, they introduced a whole bunch of new characters to provide a band for David to unappropriately want to join? There was no other way to give him a story? 

They might need to start giving someone else some song superpowers or something, since honestly the show is kind of boring when all it is tertiary characters moping over bad dates and stay at home with an infant loneliness. I'm not even all that interested in the restaurant opening night when all it is is... a restaurant opening night. Next we're going to see the programmers sitting around debugging the latest app, and Mary Steenburgen supervising landscapers. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I totally get reducing Jane’s time involvement, she was in so much of the show. But they always give the brother such weird plots. I mean, David and Emily have a newborn, that should easily drive plots. Emily as a lawyer could have helped Mo and Max with getting up the restaurant. 

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, they introduced a whole bunch of new characters to provide a band for David to unappropriately want to join? There was no other way to give him a story? 

If these episodes were shot during lock down, maybe Alice Lee (Zoey's brother's wife) and the baby actors were not available? 

Also, maybe the band could work for musical numbers without Zoey/Jane Levy. And also less heavily choreographed for social distancing

I guess I've got the unpopular opinions this week... 😉  

I liked that David is getting a new storyline and it makes sense that he's going to join with characters that are already on the show (i.e. actors who are already on the payroll).  I thought it was funny that none of them even know each other's names.  Who knows, maybe it won't work out since it's just a trial period, but it also gives the new neighbor character something to do other than give Zoey and her boss drugs.

Rose can just go back to New York already.  Max and Zoey belong together in the long run and Rose is unnecessary. 

And Simon should be with Tatiana, or someone who, you know... isn't his boss. 

The fire inspector can stay.  

• Love 10

Even though Let's Get Loud was not necessary since it didn't advance the plot or give us any insight into anything, I'm so glad they had a big fun upbeat dance number!

Zoey trying to recreate a good memory with her dad is definitely the kind of grief struggle that comes after someone you love dies. I know that she was trying to honor her promise and his memory, but it was doomed to fail (even without Leif and Tobin in the mix) so I was glad that she eventually made a new memory with her friends. Seeing them all sing along in the car to a song that Mitch loved was already perfect but I loved that it got capped with everyone sitting outside looking at the stars. Ha, and I love that Tobin got so into it that he bought his own telescope in between.

Rose is clearly meant to be a temporary distraction for Max since she's only in town for a limited time, which is fine. It might be good for Zoey to see that Max isn't just going to sit around waiting for her.

I felt a little bad that Zoey encouraged Leif to go out with that girl again only to learn that she was using him, but I think it's a good illustration of how having good intentions doesn't always mean that good things happen as a result.

The rice bar looked amazing! I am here for some of that pork fried rice.

• Love 9

Another unpopular opinion:  I was always team Simon.

Sorry guys...🤷🏽‍♀️
I always thought Simon and Zoey made more sense..they actually have things in common, they have real conversations, better chemistry, and actually [in my opinion anyway] make each other better.  Simon just  gets Zoey like Max doesn’t. 

But him not knowing about her power? Deal breaker. They can never be.  Doomed to the friend zone forever.  

• Love 9
22 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Another unpopular opinion:  I was always team Simon.

It may be unpopular here, but I actually can get on board with Simon. I mean, dude is HAWT. And sweet. Max is great in many ways, but seems very...expected. All in all, I won't be unhappy if she ends up with either of them - I'll probably be slightly displeased with either as well, but then, I'm a contrarian!

My initial take on Zoey's brother (David!) and the band was they're looking for something for him to do besides change diapers and *yawn*. But I did like him coming back to the band and demanding a spot with them. And it does make sense to try and spread out the stories to give Jane a break. I am not a huge fan of neighbor boy, but if he's sticking around, better he's the story for David, and NOT a love interest for Zoey.

• Love 8
On 3/29/2021 at 12:20 PM, Empress1 said:

Which annoys me because she's Simon's boss. I know the company doesn't really do appropriate corporate behavior, but you can't date your employees - that's why Joan cut off her fling with Leif. 

I didn't Simon reported to Zoey anymore. I thought he was now head of public relations, (I can't remember the exact title but it's something like that), but still kept his office on Zoey's floor instead of moving to a different place. 

On 3/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, he really needs to find some friends who are more on his wavelength. They're in a big city; there's gotta be some kind of MeetUp group or something he can check out. I did laugh at the neighbor's "I love the Wiggles" after he left, though. Him talking about law concepts with the baby was cute, too. "I don't think he gets it." Though I wonder if he's regretting quitting his job or if he's just overwhelmed with the all-day baby stuff.

I'm hoping this episode was setting up a longer storyarc that's about David realizing that while he loves being home with his baby, he needs more adult contact and something in his life other than caring for his child. 

2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I didn't Simon reported to Zoey anymore. I thought he was now head of public relations, (I can't remember the exact title but it's something like that), but still kept his office on Zoey

In the racism episode, when Zoey told Simon he had to retract his statement, she prefaced it with “it’s tough being the boss sometimes” (which was the wrong thing to say). Simon is the spokesperson for the company but still reports to Zoey (which makes no sense but that’s how it is). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

In the racism episode, when Zoey told Simon he had to retract his statement, she prefaced it with “it’s tough being the boss sometimes” (which was the wrong thing to say). Simon is the spokesperson for the company but still reports to Zoey (which makes no sense but that’s how it is). 

Yeah, that was weird - since it felt more like Davis (not typing the whole thing or shortening it to DMD because that feels silly) was just passing the buck. In reality it would make sense for Simon to report to someone else, even if he got to keep his office on Zoey's floor because reasons.

• Love 3
On 3/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, hnygrl said:

THANK YOU GOD! MY SHOW IS BAAAACK!!!

That made me cry!   YAY! So happy right now! 

I was choked up there at the end, when Zoey repeated her Dad's comment.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, dubbel zout said:

Me too.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:57 PM, Trini said:

Even though I know it's foolish to nitpick Maximo's restaurant logistics....

I assume that Maximo's has a set list of restaurants it's getting food from, and not just every place in San Francisco; so if Max didn't want to deal with 35(?) boxes and an instruction manual just to serve one meal, he could just ... not have that particular restaurant as an option?

I don't think Maximo's is on the list. As I recall Zoey made it a special delivery for Lief to replicate his previous failed date. As for Maximo's itself being willing to do that, yeah, in the real world that wouldn't happen.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't think Maximo's is on the list. As I recall Zoey made it a special delivery for Lief to replicate his previous failed date. As for Maximo's itself being willing to do that, yeah, in the real world that wouldn't happen

I don’t think Maximo’s DID the plating etc. ZOEY did. Max took one look at that mess and said no.  Zoey went back and put it together herself (since, you know, this was all her idea/fault).

• Love 4

I was truly shocked that David thought he could join the band! I figured he'd just jam with them once in a while for fun, that seemed like a reasonable way to go with that story. A bit of fish-out-of-water with him and the kids. Not only because he's too old / a dad, but because he doesn't have the hours per week (unscheduled to boot) to rehearse AND go to gigs. Want to talk to Emily about that?! I know, I know, bringing in realism is dumb. (Don't get me started on the restaurant concept lol.)

That said, I thought Sebastian Bach on Gilmore Girls was a hoot as the older dad joining a band of 20 year olds. For that character it was a serious thing, and plot-wise his family totally supported his rock star life as a break from parenting duty.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, snarktini said:

That said, I thought Sebastian Bach on Gilmore Girls was a hoot as the older dad joining a band of 20 year olds. For that character it was a serious thing, and plot-wise his family totally supported his rock star life as a break from parenting duty.

And the in-joke of Sebastian Bach being a real-life rock star playing a devoted stay-at-home dad was a very good one. 

David wanting to join the band feels a bit desperate. I get he wants a break from being a full-time parent, and he does have legit musical chops, but forcing himself on the band next door? Yikes.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

David wanting to join the band feels a bit desperate. I get he wants a break from being a full-time parent, and he does have legit musical chops, but forcing himself on the band next door? Yikes.

Yeah, that reeked of desperation and was also so awkward for the poor kids who just want to jam in Aiden's garage. When David said he could get them some gigs, I was imagining him getting super regimented about when they should practice so that they can play at every dive bar in SF and then everyone voting him out because it's no fun anymore.

I get that he wants some human contact and something fun to do (hi, welcome to the story of most mothers), but pushing his way into the neighbor's band was pretty rude. And hey, read the room. See how no one in the band is begging you to join?

• Love 3

I didn't mind the brother storyline even though it was awkward.... I mean, the brought back this neighbor kid so this is a way to get him involved in the story. Like everyone else, I didn't want him to become another love interest for Zoey.

I was actually thinking during this episode that I'm liking this becoming more of an ensemble. Or at least it feels that way, even if we still had a lot of characters last season... they just are more developed characters now. 

The restaurant opening was fun, it's good to see that go well. I liked Zoey and Max but the timing was wrong and I'm okay with Max getting a different love interest. I would be fine with Zoey being on her own for awhile too... though I expect things to go somewhere with Simon now, which I could do with out in general, since Zoey just being single would be a good thing.... but with the big break between episodes, it feels like months have gone by since she and max put things on hold, so it still makes sense to me that the timing would be better for her now, but also that maybe Max isn't the right fit right now either.... if that makes sense?  But he can have his new love interest and not blame zoey for not wanting to be with him at this moment... Life happens like that sometimes. Two people who would be great together are just never in the same place/emotional availability at the same time so they never end up together. I wouldn't be surprised if Max is still end game down the road.. but I'm less invested in the pairing than I was last season, since I've liked Simon a lot too. I also hate love triangles so please just pair people up with someone else and get back to the singing!

Zoey's memory was very sweet and I could feel her frustration and grief. They really make the grief feel so real on this show, it's just well done. But I'm glad it worked out in the end for her to make new memories with friends instead. I'm glad she seems to have more "Friends" now. Before it was just kind of Max, and then she added Mo and Simon... but still didn't have a lot of friends.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

He's lucky all the guys are pretty laid-back and don't care much about formal practice hours and stuff.

My understanding is that they are a band in that they play music. These are not guys who are eager to make it to the big time with a record deal and touring. It didn't seem like playing in bars had even occured to them until David brought up the possibility. For them, they just have fun playing in the garage. They don't really expect it to go anywhere, which is fine. Nothing wrong with a creative hobby that doesn't become a source of income  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

My understanding is that they are a band in that they play music. These are not guys who are eager to make it to the big time with a record deal and touring. It didn't seem like playing in bars had even occured to them until David brought up the possibility. For them, they just have fun playing in the garage. They don't really expect it to go anywhere, which is fine. Nothing wrong with a creative hobby that doesn't become a source of income  

I agree with all of the above except I’m not sure that they wouldn’t scoff at the word ”hobby.”

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

ITA and my fear is that David booking them gigs will suck the fun right out of being in a band. It's totally fine to just play in your friend's garage with no intention of landing a record deal and going on tour. You can play together just because you like playing together!

I wish more people would realize that you can do something JUST FOR FUN and not try to monetize it or make it into a measure of your success. During the pandemic, I bought some string and watched youtube tutorials to teach myself how to macrame. I joined a few Facebook groups in the hopes of getting some tips and I swear, every single person in these groups is like "I just made my first macrame piece yesterday. How do I set up an Etsy store so I can start selling my work?" I want to tell all these people to calm the fuck down and just enjoy doing it for the sake of doing it. There's no need to turn this into a business the day that your supplies from amazon arrive.

Several years ago, I had a (different) fun hobby and so many people I knew in the community quit their jobs to do it full time and then they would get stressed out trying to hustle to make enough money so that they could pay their rent or fly home for Christmas. I always kept it as a side thing because I didn't want to turn something I loved into something I had to do, and that's why I continued to enjoy it instead of it turning into a tiresome obligation.

• Love 2

For all of the stress of getting investors to open the restaurant, Max sure was quick to not charge the entire table that Rose and her friends were at for their meals and drinks.  I guess I also don't understand the sleep-away camps as that had been many years prior yet Max and Rose were totally in for each other even though they hadn't talked for years.

Do restaurants really have speeches during their openings?  I would be annoyed if I had to stop enjoying my meal and friends to listen to speeches...

They're really making David impulsive.  First, he just "had" to quit his job because he really, really, really wanted to stay home with the baby.  Now he just "had" to join a band because staying at home with his baby is not all he thought it would be.  He should felt entitled to being a part of the band as he had clearly asked if he could jam with them and then when he did, he felt entitled to that jam session being an audition.  Nothing was every mentioned about an audition.  But, by golly, that's what he wanted!

• Love 1
On 3/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, dubbel zout said:

I think it's probably a bit of both, but mostly he has very little adult contact during the day.

But he's doing baby laundry and dishes at his mom's house before Zoey even stops by on her way to work? What's up with that? Is he spending every day with his mom? Did he bring Milo's dirty laundry over there because he and Emily don't have their own laundry machines?

On 3/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, Trini said:

Exactly.  They're not going to do takeout!

I also didn't understand why Zoey didn't ask Leif how he knew that his date had lied about her grandmother having a stroke. Why would he assume that?  His extremely low self-esteem with regard to dating (and his over-compensation in his professional life) is what he needs to deal with.

• Love 1