Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Lynch ... Jane Lynch

• Start Topic

This was a nice breath of fresh air after last week. Competent players, funny without being too showy, good selection of games.

I did like the No Vowel game. I love word puzzles so it was super fun.

What did she think goblet was? Goblin, maybe?

Seth was a solid choice at the end knowledgeable and calm, though he got caught up on Christopher Walken. I'm not too sure if any other celeb could have done better. 

• Love 1

I wanted the guy's team to win if only because the women on his team were wearing sensible shoes.  Seriously, Jenna is 6ft and she still feels she needs to wear 5 in heels?

But yes, the guests were fun, the games were good and the non-celeb just really blanked out there at the end.  He seemed to know at least a couple of the names but couldn't spit them out. 

• Love 1

I was starting to think this was going to be a blow-out, but it ended up being a pretty close thing! If Lindsey's team hadn't passed as much on "Off The Top of My Head", they could have tied, I think.  (Final points were Lindsey/61 and Austin/71.) 

The passes on "Celebrity Name Game" were: Christopher Walken, Lindsey Lohan, Paul McCartney, and time ran out for Peter Jackson.  To be fair, it seemed like Austin was blanking on the names, not that he was lost, which would be my fear on shows like this. Austin knew he knew Lindsey Lohan and Peter Jackson. McCartney, I wasn't as sure. Austin seemed like he knew he should know it.

Other impressions:

*I liked Katy Mixon's sandals, as well as her necklace. I don't go for sandals like that, but I liked how Ms. Mixon's looked. The necklace looked fun.

*Was that a ver slight knock on animated comedies aimed at Seth? Make funnier live action comedies then, US! (Then again, I've heard how Comedy was supposed to be dying  a half dozen times so far in my life, so...::shrug::)

*If Monica Potter can't get one of the simpler games right, she needs to stop drinking.

*The selfie was silly fun.

*Monica Potter's story? Gory gross.

*Seth's Roast story was funny and sad. "Do I sound sober, you all?" was cute though.

*Oh Michael; "the Ram Jam"?

*I guess what Monica needed was to get that first game out of the way; she's very good and competitive on these games!

*Jenna seems to have been kinda hamstrung by her team.

*I like that Monica and Katie have cheered each other through the show.

*I take back the "hamstrung". (As Lindsey's team pwned TV ID!)

*That was my favorite "Off The Top of My Head"! Both groups did well, but the points did in Lindsey.

*While I was a bit sad for Lindsey (I like come-from-behind wins), Austin was a good player and likeable, too. Good civilian captains.

This is a show I could rewatch a few times. folks had fun, competed, and relaxed. (Also, my current favorite round of TV ID! How many 1 word clues were given and gotten?!)

(edited)

Really good group! Fun enough, I even forgot Jenna Elfman was a Scientologist. The TV ID game was INSANE! All the 1 word clues and the lady's team borging/sharing a brain. Whenever Katy Mixon said she could not bid fewer words, I kept hearing in my head, "This house is clean." I think the final round was  lost because the contestant blanked a lot. Also Michael Ealy winking? Panties - gone.

Edited by Grammaeryn
  • Love 1

Why would you not say "choir" for "Glee?" That said, at least they got it from "smile" (I would not have!).

Me neither. My guess was Fantasy Island. ("Smiles, everyone, smiles!")

Good game. I thought Picture Purrfect was easier than usual. Same with Timeline. N Hrm N Vwl was a good new game. I guess the most hiccups were during Off the Top of My Head. I think, however, that when people don't know what something is, it isn't necessarily because they're stupid, but just because their brain gets stuck. For instance, I'm sure Jenna Elfman knows that Alaska is the 50th state. Katy misread 'goblet' as 'goblin.' I can't remember the other ones.

I guess Seth couldn't think of any movies with Christopher Walken. I don't think Austin had any idea who Seth was talking about. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The clue for Glee that I thought of was "Regionals!" but I'm not sure if anyone else would have gotten it.

Seth spent way too much time on Christopher Walken.  And mixing up Kate Upton with Kate Middleton... that's almost as bad as Zachary Levi with his Kris Jenner goof.

Edited by FadingRose
  • Love 1

Good episode, but I expected Seth to do much better in the last round. He took way too long to get to the point on most of the clues. He might not have won with some of the brain freezes the contestant had, but they should have done better than six.

The new game, No Harm No Vowel, was pretty good.

• Love 1
(edited)

My guess for "smile" was Candid Camera (which is actually coming back on TV Land in August, hosted by Mayim Bialick). Sorry to sound like an ad.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2
(edited)

New rule for final round:  List a couple of the celeb's roles/work or who they're dating, if contestant doesn't get it in 5 seconds PASS!

Besides Christopher Walken Seth gave good clues, this time the contestant was not up to the challenge.  Lindsay Lohan and Paul McCartney, seriously?!

One word clue for Wheel of Fortune:  Hangman.

Barely know Michael Ealy, but my stock in him just went up 1000%:  dashing, handsome, smart, clever and he winks!

I NEVER would've got Glee from smile.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3

My clue for Wheel of Fortune would have been "Vowel," maybe with a question inflection -- "Vowel...?"

For How I Met Your Mother, I was thinking "Suit up!" A one-word clue that might work is "McClarens."

• Love 1

How I Met Your Mother - Legendary

Glee- Choir

Walken - Do your best impression of him. That's how most people recognize him. "I Need More Cowbell"

Lohan - Say she starred in Mean Girls along with the other clues.

For instance, I'm sure Jenna Elfman knows that Alaska is the 50th state.

If she knew the 50th state she would have said Hawaii. But I did laugh when she got it with "Sarah Palin".

I know Austin just blanked out, but not knowing Paul McCartney???  I loved the clue: "The only Beatle still alive.....well, except for Ringo".

I totally thought of More Cowbell as well, especially since the last clue given referenced SNL (Adam Sandler).

• Love 2

I was suprised how poorly the final round went, but at least in this case both of them played pretty poorly.

One of the bigger laughs for me was when Katy Mixon was giving clues for "Goblin" instead of "Goblet" and Monica caught herself saying "Midg..." It sort of fit with Harry Potter but I think she quickly realized that couldn't be the right answer.

I cringed all through Timeline because Michael Ealy used to date Halle Berry. The game planners might want to make sure the players don't have awkward connections to celebrities mentioned in the games beforehand.

I hate when the celebrity in the final round starts out with "He's an actor. He's really funny." Yeah, that narrows it down. Don't give a whole narrative; just start naming movies and roles.

I cringed all through Timeline because Michael Ealy used to date Halle Berry. The game planners might want to make sure the players don't have awkward connections to celebrities mentioned in the games beforehand.

I honestly don't think anyone cared about that. Ealy is pretty quiet about his relationships but he's happy in a current relationship. So, I don't think he cares anymore. If someone had brought it up, that's different. I doubt anyone even knew in the first place.

• Love 1

Oh and Jane wasn't throwing an insult at Seth when talking about multi camera sitcoms. Seth was in one (Dads) He's one of the people keeping it alive. (with a bad show but still).

I wanted the guy's team to win if only because the women on his team were wearing sensible shoes. Seriously, Jenna is 6ft and she still feels she needs to wear 5 in heels?

Seriously -- "dress for movement"

• Love 1

This show was a huge improvement over last week's show. I would have chosen Monica Potter over Seth for the final round. She was crazy quick at the games and Seth is just too laid back. Though I do think they got some tough celebrities to name.

Great show with a disappointing ending.

The teams were pretty evenly matched.  The guy's team killed in the no vowel game and I thought it was going to be a total blow out, but the girl's team came back and destroyed them in tv id.

Smile - I never would've gotten Glee from that.  I would've guessed Treasure Island, because I believe Padma Lakshmi used "smile" as her clue for that show.

That disaster of the final round belongs to Seth and the male contestant equally.  Yes, Seth took too long with his clues - short, concise words.  Adam Sandler = happy Gilmore, water boy, grown ups.  However, the male contestant did really blank out on some obvious people.

I think Monica Potter was my favorite celebrity last night.  I didn't expect her to be so good.  The Katie woman was cute..."no mam"

(edited)

If they had been at 9 instead of 6, Paul McCartney would have haunted the guy for a while. Heck, just saying the Beatles automatically drops you to four choices. (A little mean considering the pressure of actually being ON the show, but, hey, no pity).

Edited by GaryE

Smile - I never would've gotten Glee from that.  I would've guessed Treasure Island, because I believe Padma Lakshmi used "smile" as her clue for that show.

And if you're a Baby Boomer, the natural guess would have been "Candid Camera"!

This is an awkwardly titled episode. I get it. Bond. James Bond. But "bond" doesn't have the same meaning that "lynch" does.

It was an interesting cast. Yeah, I know Dave Foley and Seth Green were there but I don't see them and automatically think, yup, this'll be a great episode. And I've seen Jenna Elfman and Monica Potter (woo, Head Over Heels!) being wacky but I don't think of them as a Wayne Brady, Leah Remini, Zachary Levi type who will sense when there's a lull and try and make up for it by keeping the energy up. I've been saying this for a while but I think you need to cast for people in each episode who have a sense of what their role on the team is. The ham if you will. The one who laughs at all of Jane's puns and cracks jokes every so often without detracting from gameplay.

The cats were particularly cute this time in the movies. I think the hair helps (the hair of the characters in the movie, I mean). Picture Purrfect isn't my favorite game but compared to the candy/chips/whatever weird is this a promotion stuff they do sometimes... it's fine.

I enjoy Timeline. It was nice to see it make a return.

No Harm No Vowel is an interesting concept... It seems a little tricky. Hopefully you can kind of sound it out. I think it helps when there aren't too many vowels missing so it's probably a question of picking good movies titles for them to guess. I got most of them but I could definitely see a situation where they pick bad titles and everyone's just confused. I think I prefer games where you rack up points quickly to games where you're fighting over the one clue.

The comeback of Team Lindsey during TV ID was great. In general, this wasn't a very funny episode but gameplay was solid. Team Lindsey had the right idea with "oil" and "nothing" and "hourglass." You don't have to completely describe the show (and thus run into trouble with the rules) if you just say something indisputably tied to the show. Wheel of Fortune was tricky since you can't just say "Vanna" because it would count as a character's name. I'd probably go two words "buy vowel." HIMYM is actually tricky now that I think about it unless you know that someone on your team is a fan and would get a reference. Otherwise the general description is too generically sitcom-y. I have a feeling Michael could do it though. He has mad TV ID skills.

Is it just me or is Jane's between game banter getting increasingly worse?

One of the bigger laughs for me was when Katy Mixon was giving clues for "Goblin" instead of "Goblet" and Monica caught herself saying "Midg..." It sort of fit with Harry Potter but I think she quickly realized that couldn't be the right answer.

Yeah, that was a good moment.

I wouldn't have known which celebrity to choose from the games they played. Probably not Dave or Katy. Michael or Seth seemed like the best choices but even then they weren't sure bets. It was definitely a situation where you could see how there might be gaps in their knowledge. Joel McHale has never been on the show, right? I think he would be great at the final game.

Seth was OK at the final game. Yeah, he did take a bit long on clues but I think it was more of an issue with the contestant just being unable to guess some things that he should have gotten quickly. He seemed to be melting down.

Is it just me or is Jane's between game banter getting increasingly worse?

I've started just fast-forwarding it. It's painfully bad and she got an Emmy nod for hosting this show. Give me a break.

Goblin instead of Goblet is one of the dumbest thing I've seen on this show yet. Except for Hogwarts, none of the Potter clues seemed too specific. Of course you always run into trouble when you have fans of something versus people aren't fans. (Like in the Stars Wars one, where Falcon was the word and the clue was the name of the ship versus a bird used in medieval times or Peregrine, etc..) Seth Green was my favorite member of that team. The civilian I think really panicked and blanked out. He probably feels terrible for missing the very easy Lohan and McCartney, which would be a great band name.

I agree the episode title was iffy, but then a lot of the episode titles seem either random or overemphasizing something said. I would have called this episode Picture Pussy. (Picture Purrfect and the Bond girls).