Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Bloody Stumps and a Chemical Smell

paulvdb

I really liked this episode.  I laughed a lot and there were good interactions between characters---although once again, too little Wendy.

Not only did we get a nice Tammy and Marjorie story, we got some good Tammy and Adam scenes.  They're one of my favorite duos on the show.

And it was nice to see them address the absence of Christy.  I laughed at Adam being surprised at what was upstairs since he normally doesn't go up there.

Jill and Bonnie's therapist do have chemistry but it is an ethical issue.  I was glad to see in the previews---

Spoiler

That at least someone addresses it with him even if might not last.

• Love 7

I like Trevor, but I don’t want him with Jill because it’s basically saying the only person who could tolerate being with her is a therapist. I want her end game to be more than that.

Loved that the cats ate the salmon because Marjorie had to tell Tammy what she was doing wrong this time. (She’ll blame Tammy for that, too.) Adam’s and Tammy’s decision to not engage isn’t a solution though. A casual acquaintance maybe, but using it as a coping mechanism/way of life with your partner isn’t sustainable. At some point you have to resolve the underlying conflict or move on otherwise you get sneaky, passive aggressive behavior like buying an RV.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think Adam used a middle of the road approach, i.e. he chooses his battles. When Bonnie's just venting, he lets it flow by. But when she's really got a serious issue, he's there for her. 

I agree.  I think we saw that when he wanted to go upstairs.  He gave Bonnie space when he could tell something was up but that she probably didn't really have a handle on what it was.  And he intervened when he could tell he really needed her support.  If he intervened too soon, he'd just get her snark and irritation. 

• Love 4

I liked the lamp shade going up in flames. I agree with Bonnie, that was pretty awesome, heh. 

Add me to the group that also doesn't want to see Trevor with Jill. That would just be beyond messy. And do love that neighbour that just sits outside Trevor's door and never says anything. She's hilarious. 

I missed Gus, lol. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think Adam used a middle of the road approach, i.e. he chooses his battles. When Bonnie's just venting, he lets it flow by. But when she's really got a serious issue, he's there for her. 

I agree you have to pick your battles at times, but this is daily SOP it seems. You have to weigh every interaction, every sentence, every action to pre-determine if it’s going to set them off. Their wrath is a feature not a flaw. Tammy needs to move out and take away Marjorie’s authority. (Fwiw, I don’t think Marjorie wants to be like that, but Tammy has been in her space for a while, and Marjorie wants her life to be exactly as she wants it and is beyond choosing her battles. Their friendship will be much better once Tammy moves if Tammy leaves before the big blow out fight, which is going to happen if she stays, happens.)

Bonnie, on the other hand, is going to end up alone when Adam gets tired of tiptoeing around her moods. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Kiddvideo
Added part in italics
  • Love 4

I was thrilled to see them explore the dynamic between Majorie and Tammy.

Marjorie really needs to get it together, though. She desperately needs Tammy's rent to get by, and we know that she hates living alone. (At one point, she was so desperate for companionship that she dressed like a homicidal fisherman in order to scare Christy away from a different house, so that Christy would move in with her instead.)

Treating Tammy like a personal slave is a terrible move. Marjorie is great at being a sponsor (most of the time), but as an overall person she's really a mess.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Tammy and Adam scenes are gold.

They are gold! Their chemistry is so good that for one crazy moment I thought that they were on the road to developing forbidden feelings for each other. So glad the show didn't go there. They are just great friends who get each other. 

• Love 7

If Marjorie didn't need the money, I was sure they would have Tammy move in with Bonnie. Tammy and Adam are fantastic together. I laughed when the lamp burned, and when stuff fell off the table. 

Overall, I thought this was a good episode. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Blakeston said:

(At one point, she was so desperate for companionship that she dressed like a homicidal fisherman in order to scare Christy away from a different house, so that Christy would move in with her instead.)              

That was never proven in a court of law. The rain slicker in her bedroom may have been purely a coincidence (wink, wink). 

• LOL 8

That was a great episode. And Tammy and Adam do have fantastic chemistry - the way she looked at him in the meeting was so lovely. 

I'm glad they addressed Christy's absence and it gave both Janney and Fichtner some good non-comedy material for a moment. I've also noticed that the leader of the meeting 

I have a more neutral POV when it comes to Marjorie and Tammy. We only get to see Tammy's side of things, I'm sure living with someone so high energy has its challenges too. It looks as if they both recognized the problems in their dynamic so I hope things will settle down a bit. Not completely though since this a sitcom. But I don't want Tammy to move out. Their current arrangement works for both of them since Tammy can save money that she can invest in her business.

Yeah, Trevor dating Jill is a bit problematic but nearly as problematic as him dating a former patient - something that happened on HIMYM. That's the ethical side of things. I see more character related problems but I'm willing to see where this goes.

• Love 2

Jill and Trevor just feels like rebound to me. 

I definitely agree Tammy needs a place of her own. The last time she brought it up she said she didn't want to leave Marjorie because Marjorie still needed the companionship after the death of Victor. But it's been awhile now.

I didn't get how Tammy was supposed to help Adam up the stairs. He said he could make it up the stairs but just needed help with the wheelchair. So did he crawl up the stairs while she carried the wheelchair behind him? I don't think even Tammy is strong enough to maneuver that chair up the stairs with Adam in it. 

19 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The last time she brought it up she said she didn't want to leave Marjorie because Marjorie still needed the companionship after the death of Victor. But it's been awhile now.

I believe she was going to move out but Marjorie couldn't afford to not have her live there so Tammy decided to stay.

So did he crawl up the stairs while she carried the wheelchair behind him? I don't think even Tammy is strong enough to maneuver that chair up the stairs with Adam in it. 

Yes.  I believe that's what happened.  Adam could drag himself up the stairs with his arms but once up there, he wanted his wheelchair. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't get how Tammy was supposed to help Adam up the stairs. He said he could make it up the stairs but just needed help with the wheelchair. So did he crawl up the stairs while she carried the wheelchair behind him? I don't think even Tammy is strong enough to maneuver that chair up the stairs with Adam in it. 

A lot of paraplegics have incredible upper body strength. We know he is strong enough and able to manipulate his body well enough to transfer himself in and out of his chair at will. If he sat with his back to the stairs, he easily could have used his arms to propel himself from step to step. 

• Love 4

I did not ever think about Dwight from the Office and the lady from My Name Is Earl getting together but now it is something I desperately need and want.

I liked this episode. I think they finally found their stride now with Christy gone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Add me to the Tammy and Adam fan club. They've got great chemistry together. And as soon as Tammy said (paraphrase) " should I carry you up the stairs in my arms like a baby " I started giggling. Now I want to see that soooo bad, just picture it😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by mammaM
Spelling
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Return of Tammy’s star cardi!  I did end up getting it for Christmas from my mom and I actually was wearing it yesterday, so that was kind of a funny coincidence for me.   🤩

He! I thought of you when that cardi showed up! I loved the purple one she wore at the beginning but since it's pretty generic (except for the fantastic color) I couldn't track it down. Regardless her cardi-fu is strong.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

He! I thought of you when that cardi showed up! I loved the purple one she wore at the beginning but since it's pretty generic (except for the fantastic color) I couldn't track it down. Regardless her cardi-fu is strong.

All thanks to you for tracking it down for me!  I love it.  Yah, Tammy has the best outfits on the show.  I mean, Jill wears some really pretty stuff, but Tammy’s style is my jam.  I love her shoes, too!  Always some super cute kind of sneaker.  

• Love 1
On 2/19/2021 at 1:27 AM, jewel21 said:

Add me to the group that also doesn't want to see Trevor with Jill. That would just be beyond messy. And do love that neighbour that just sits outside Trevor's door and never says anything. She's hilarious. 

I don't want to see them together either.  Maybe it's me, but I just don't think Jill's of a healthy mindset for another relationship so soon.  The multiple dating sites she's on just comes across as an act of desperation to fill a hole.  She seems to bring up sex a lot which makes me wonder if that's all she's after (because it makes her feel desirable and wanted) rather than a meaningful relationship? 

I wonder if Trevor's neighbor is doubling as his receptionist.  She seems to know his appointment times!

I'm so on the fence with how Bonnie still handles things.  I'm glad she's continuing to see Trevor.  She gets overly dramatic about the littlest thing and she is so fortunate to have a husband who understands this, knows how and when to pick his battles and when to interject.  But I did give her a pass because this was the first major breakdown she had since Christy 'left for college'

Tammy being pro-active by attending Al-Anon in order to deal with Marjorie better showed her own growth.  But Adam calling her out when Tammy kept making the problems all about Marjorie by saying 'she, she, she' made Tammy realize that she and Marjorie need to communicate their boundaries better to each other.

As for Wendy's storyline.......oh wait.  What was I thinking!  Is there some sort of clause in Beth Hall's contract that she's entitled to opening credit status, but not important enough of a character to have a sliver of a storyline in the 6 years she's been on the show?

• Love 5

Jill aggressively going after her "good friend" Bonnie's therapist after she's specifically been asked not to because she can't bear to be by herself for 5 seconds to actually try to do the work on herself to not be so desperately needy might be the final straw. It's not funny and has the potential to blow up rather badly for multiple characters.

This one was better than the last several have been. Adam and Tammy were great as always. It was nice to get a callback to the much earlier plot point of Adam realizing he needed his own meetings to live with Bonnie and actually goes some way toward explaining where his headspace is in making their relationship work. Tammy continues to show growth and a willingness to put in the effort to make her own relationships work, which probably has a lot to do with why she's fast becoming my favorite character after a rocky start where she was just too broad and too much at first.  Marjorie does seem like she'd be a challenge to live with, as she's older and more set in her ways and quick to pull rank. As we've also seen, she's kind of messy beyond the narrow confines of the AA script. But they're each still a net positive in each other's lives and I like that they were taking time to acknowledge that.

• Love 5

Of this season's episodes, this is one of the better ones.  It was nice to see Bonnie addressing her feelings about missing Christy, I'd like to see her delve into it a little more in her therapy sessions.  I agree with everyone who doesn't want to see Jill and Trevor together.  That bed sheet landing on Adam was hilarious.

Edited by 60sgirl
grammar
  • Love 6
On 2/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, ctlady said:

I wonder if Trevor's neighbor is doubling as his receptionist.  She seems to know his appointment times!

That's what I thought too.  When Jill showed up, she made him a "time" sign, like, pick up the pace and I thought she's the one who keeps track of things.  

I might be alone in this, but I hate Trevor the therapist (but then I don't care for Rainn Wilson as an actor). He was OK when he was first introduced, even though he basically lost every "battle of wits" to Bonnie, but the episode where he broke every professional boundary during his break-up and divorce from his wife just completely soured me on him. I had a therapist once spend our entire session talking about himself and his health problems, and while I am sympathetic to other people, this was my time. I never went back to him. And that fact that Trevor is interested in Jill? How many more professional and ethical boundaries can he break?

I also hate the ongoing Tammy/Marjorie passive-aggressive living situation. I think the Tammy character has integrated well into the cast, but the animosity and resentment she feels toward Marjorie makes me uncomfortable. If Tammy hates living with Marjorie so much, then move out. If Marjorie needs the money, let her advertise for a housemate and rent out a room. There are services for seniors that address that very situation, but Tammy's little digs at Marjorie every time she steps away kind of makes Tammy an asshole, just like Bonnie.

With every passing episode, I feel more and more sorry for Adam. It sounds like he's the one making all the concessions in his life to avoid angering Bonnie or to head off her out-of-control emotions. That's not love, that's forestalling abuse.

• Love 2