Type keyword(s) to search

2021 Audition Speculation

ByTor
  • Start Topic

On 5/12/2021 at 10:53 AM, DCC.Style.fan said:

This is a recent event I love seeing their faces and they look so excited to perform on a stage like this after so long.   👉  notice Gina is sharing point with Rachel

I loved to see Gina as point; she really is an amazing dancer. However, I do think I see what some people mean with her facials (though the video is not that clear). I can see those awkward facials being an issue for a point girl, particularly on that huge screen...

• Love 2

Hi everyone! So I know a few pages back people were talking about Amanda retiring, and I was panicking, I could not have my favourite retiring after two season! Although, I messaged Amanda on Instagram and it turns out she's coming back! Few

image.png.81dea2af7617990225971fc8427e684a.png

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Sara 1 said:

Hi everyone! So I know a few pages back people were talking about Amanda retiring, and I was panicking, I could not have my favourite retiring after two season! Although, I messaged Amanda on Instagram and it turns out she's coming back! Few

image.png.81dea2af7617990225971fc8427e684a.png

PRAISE THE ALMIGHTY CHEER GODS!!!!!

Now if Kelli even thinks about cutting Amanda from the team....

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 5/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, kalibean said:

I 90% agree with you on this...I think occasionally there’s just a cheerleader that’s given prominence and it doesn’t make sense. Maddie is a fan favorite and I think she’s a lovely cheerleader and human, but didn’t make sense why she was point. It would have made more sense if she was given the Jinelle treatment. Group leader, show group, didn’t hit the triangle. Amy too. 

Ehhhh...I think we saw with Yuko and Meredith that TPTB will take 37 if they’re motivated. I think they had their own reasons to boot the veterans and it’s wasn’t to get a rookie on the team. And honestly, for those rookies that haven’t been drinking the DCC kool-aid their whole lives and relocated from Florida, California or Atlanta (or anywhere, really) I don’t blame them one bit for checking a box off their bucket list and calling it good. 

Completely agree with both statements and comparisons. 

• Love 4
On 5/12/2021 at 12:13 AM, Kamal said:

Created poll for GL/2GL speculation !!

Were all the polls deleted? Point poll is the only one left...

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Jesiklyn said:

Found another auditioner

Screenshot_20210518-193127_Instagram.jpg

She's pretty, but sadly, she looks soft.  Kelli likes them "uniform-ready" at auditions so I don't think she'll go far. 

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

All this talk about ethnicity and race, where are my Dominican mixed dancers? I’d love to see more Afro-Latinas on pro teams, we add spice! I’m not sure what the demographic is in Dallas, but it seems there are lots of white people and a few sprinkles of black people (I could be totally wrong, just my impression based on what the team looks like). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Itswhatisaid said:

All this talk about ethnicity and race, where are my Dominican mixed dancers? I’d love to see more Afro-Latinas on pro teams, we add spice! I’m not sure what the demographic is in Dallas, but it seems there are lots of white people and a few sprinkles of black people (I could be totally wrong, just my impression based on what the team looks like). 

The team is definitely not a great representation of Dallas proper...2018 is 33% white (Hispanic), 29% white (non Hispanic), 25% black, 3.3% Asian. 24% of residents were also born outside of the US. 

The metro area skews whiter and also increases the Asian population, which was smaller than I thought. I lived in Richardson for a while, which is almost 20% Asian so that lower metro number surprised me. 

Demographics are always so interesting to me. Would love to know why more WOC don’t try out and/or make the squad, but plenty of barriers to entry.  Plenty of WOC have the funds for a lifetime of dancing, but I think the percentage who want this low paying, reality show life drops considerably. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, kalibean said:

The team is definitely not a great representation of Dallas proper...2018 is 33% white (Hispanic), 29% white (non Hispanic), 25% black, 3.3% Asian. 24% of residents were also born outside of the US. 

The metro area skews whiter and also increases the Asian population, which was smaller than I thought. I lived in Richardson for a while, which is almost 20% Asian so that lower metro number surprised me. 

Demographics are always so interesting to me. Would love to know why more WOC don’t try out and/or make the squad, but plenty of barriers to entry.  Plenty of WOC have the funds for a lifetime of dancing, but I think the percentage who want this low paying, reality show life drops considerably. 

I’m from OK and I’m a south Asian woman born and raised here. We don’t have an official NFL team, but we have NBA and family and our south Asian community are huge fans of the OKC Thunder. Our only football teams are the college ones and even tho we go to those state colleges, none of us are still really into football and one of the main reasons for that is cause it really seems to be more for white people and just didn’t appeal to us. A lot of South Asians we know live in the Dallas area. Actually the Dallas area itself has a lot of south Asians and I know they’re not going to the Cowboys game, but they’ll be at the Mavs. 

For all the comments about DCC lacking diversity, I’m a WOC and I’ve said this numerous times already on here that the NFL isn’t approachable for POC. It’s very “white culture”.

The NBA is very diverse. If you go on pompedia, you can see that NBA dance teams have a lot more diversity. I feel like I see more POC dancers than white girls and the NBA fan base itself is very diverse as well.

NBA also seems to have a bigger presence in pop culture from the less “Americanized” groups like rappers and such which I think also explains the diversity. The NFL has a lot more old school and traditional American type artists supporting them and I wouldn’t call them the most diverse. Of course when it comes time for the Super Bowl, then everyone gets involved, but for the most part, the football culture is kind of lagging behind with issues like the outrage against Colin Kaepernick. The NFL has had way more racial scandals. Also, dating/marrying an NFL player isn’t as popular with celebrity women as it was back when Jessica Simpson did it and her fanbase is white. Celebrity women are dating NBA players which is now causing NFL athletes and pop-culture crossovers to be less and less. Women marrying NFL players now are like IG influencers or second/third-tier models. Maybe I’m a girl and I could be wrong about this cause I don’t actually pay attention to sports, but I do pay attention to pop culture and it seems to me that NFL players today don’t have the names they used to. You don’t need to be dating a celebrity to be featured in pop culture if you’re an NBA player. I’ve heard almost every big NBA star name, but I’ve heard of Dak Prescott only when watching DCCMTT and I’m from the south. NFL athletes seem to have mostly the attention just from their geographical fanbase and those who pay attention to the NFL. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
18 hours ago, Jesiklyn said:

Found another auditioner

Whoever came up with the concept of hashtags is a hero.  So easy to find those who are auditioning, cause we probably wouldn't have seen this gal if she hadn't used them.  Only so many go to prep classes or zoom them.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, filishtay said:

I’m from OK and I’m a south Asian woman born and raised here. We don’t have an official NFL team, but we have NBA and family and our south Asian community are huge fans of the OKC Thunder. Our only football teams are the college ones and even tho we go to those state colleges, none of us are still really into football and one of the main reasons for that is cause it really seems to be more for white people and just didn’t appeal to us. A lot of South Asians we know live in the Dallas area. Actually the Dallas area itself has a lot of south Asians and I know they’re not going to the Cowboys game, but they’ll be at the Mavs. 

For all the comments about DCC lacking diversity, I’m a WOC and I’ve said this numerous times already on here that the NFL isn’t approachable for POC. It’s very “white culture”.

The NBA is very diverse. If you go on pompedia, you can see that NBA dance teams have a lot more diversity. I feel like I see more POC dancers than white girls and the NBA fan base itself is very diverse as well.

NBA also seems to have a bigger presence in pop culture from the less “Americanized” groups like rappers and such which I think also explains the diversity. The NFL has a lot more old school and traditional American type artists supporting them and I wouldn’t call them the most diverse. Of course when it comes time for the Super Bowl, then everyone gets involved, but for the most part, the football culture is kind of lagging behind with issues like the outrage against Colin Kaepernick. The NFL has had way more racial scandals. Also, dating/marrying an NFL player isn’t as popular with celebrity women as it was back when Jessica Simpson did it and her fanbase is white. Celebrity women are dating NBA players which is now causing NFL athletes and pop-culture crossovers to be less and less. Women marrying NFL players now are like IG influencers or second/third-tier models. Maybe I’m a girl and I could be wrong about this cause I don’t actually pay attention to sports, but I do pay attention to pop culture and it seems to me that NFL players today don’t have the names they used to. You don’t need to be dating a celebrity to be featured in pop culture if you’re an NBA player. I’ve heard almost every big NBA star name, but I’ve heard of Dak Prescott only when watching DCCMTT and I’m from the south. NFL athletes seem to have mostly the attention just from their geographical fanbase and those who pay attention to the NFL. 

I couldn't have put this better myself. Coming from the UK, I have Asian heritage and from what little coverage we get of US sports, I've thought the same as the above. I'm really into my sports too and we're lucky that most mainstream sports (football or soccer to you guys, both codes of rugby) are really diverse in terms of nationalities and race. 

I have to admit the NFL seems like quite an elitist sport and whilst the playing rosters are getting more diverse, it still seems like an old white man's club on the boards and rich white kids playing for the most part. Some of the NFL club owners have shares in our Premier League football clubs and they all look the same!

I guess it's hard for people from working-class, diverse backgrounds to get in front of the right people and get to know the right people despite how hard they work. 

I also think the NFL doesn't market the game as well as it did before or as much as the NBA does, even though we have games over here in London for the NFL. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

I couldn't have put this better myself. Coming from the UK, I have Asian heritage and from what little coverage we get of US sports, I've thought the same as the above. I'm really into my sports too and we're lucky that most mainstream sports (football or soccer to you guys, both codes of rugby) are really diverse in terms of nationalities and race. 

I have to admit the NFL seems like quite an elitist sport and whilst the playing rosters are getting more diverse, it still seems like an old white man's club on the boards and rich white kids playing for the most part. Some of the NFL club owners have shares in our Premier League football clubs and they all look the same!

I guess it's hard for people from working-class, diverse backgrounds to get in front of the right people and get to know the right people despite how hard they work. 

I also think the NFL doesn't market the game as well as it did before or as much as the NBA does, even though we have games over here in London for the NFL. 

I’m 100% not tying to start controversy, but I just wanted to put numbers to things for some perspective:

As your post specifically mentions who is playing football in the US: nearly 70% of active NFL players are African American.

Here are the real issues:

Only 2 NFL team current owners are POC. That number could have changed as it has been awhile since I’ve read anything on the subject as I don’t really pay any attention to professional sports anymore.

More startling is the low number of POC in overall coaching staff and upper management of these NFL teams. (Save for specific teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who won the Super Bowl this year, which has the most diverse coaching staff in the NFL).   

There are a number of excellent articles out there in that discuss these discrepancies. 

To keep on DCC topic, Im not a WOC so I can’t speak with any authenticity on how WOC feel about the DCC. I can only speak for myself as a 5’2” brunette with green eyes. And even at my fittest, I wouldn’t have auditioned for DCC.  I know that I would have had to work three times as hard to get noticed by the judges and more specifically the DCC TPTB to get noticed over a leggy blue-eyes blonde with - how does Kelli put it? - a long American thigh. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me to even try.

To me, it almost seems as though if you are a WOC you have to be THE best of THE best to get on the team. Whereas if you are a mediocre dancer but have a pair long legs and baby blue eyes, you can get an invite into Training Camp.  

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Useful 2
  • Love 22
(edited)
4 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

Living in Texas, I think you are way off here. Kids here start playing from pretty young. At minimum, football is offered starting in 6th grade as a middle school sport. There is nothing elitist about it. It’s literally played in every Texas high school. College scouts go all over the state. The only reason it would be hard to get in front of the right people is if your are from a small public school or private school. The playing rosters aren’t just getting more diverse. A quick google search gave me this breakdown of players...

Black 57.5%
White 24.9 %
Two races 9.4%

Now I can’t speak to the owners, but football is just a regular sport, not just for the elites. As far as college players getting in front of NFL scouts, each college has a pro-day where the scouts come. 

Edited by Fwcowboysfan
  • Love 6
(edited)
41 minutes ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I’m 100% not tying to start controversy, but I just wanted to put numbers to things for some perspective:

As your post specifically mentions who is playing football in the US: nearly 70% of active NFL players are African American.

Only 2 NFL team current owners are POC. That number could have changed as it has been awhile since I’ve read anything on the subject as I don’t really pay any attention to professional sports anymore.

More startling is the low number of POC in overall coaching staff and upper management of these NFL teams. (Save for specific teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who won the Super Bowl this year, which has the most diverse coaching staff in the NFL).   

There are a number of excellent articles out there in that discuss these discrepancies. 

To keep on DCC topic, Im not a WOC so I can’t speak with any authenticity on how WOC feel about the DCC. I can only speak for myself as a 5’2” brunette with green eyes. And even at my fittest, I wouldn’t have auditioned for DCC.  I know that I would have had to work three times as hard to get noticed by the judges and more specifically the DCC TPTB to get noticed over a leggy blue-eyes blonde with - how does Kelli put it? - a long American thigh. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me to even try.

To me, it almost seems as though if you are a WOC you have to be THE best of THE best to get on the team. Whereas if you are a mediocre dancer but have a pair long legs and baby blue eyes, you can get an invite into Training Camp.  

100% agree with this.  That said, such an interesting take, @DCC-UK!  Most of us are US based, so it's hard to picture what the perception of the NFL is in Europe.  I suspect Tom Brady is the face of the NFL internationally, and he's elitist AF.  He's kind of the face everywhere, but he's conventionally attractive, supermodel wife, a zillion Super Bowl rings, etc etc etc etc.  Who else are the popular/well known players?  My teams are Chiefs, Seahawks and Cowboys (in that order) and all three happen to have black quarterbacks, but that's definitely a more recent phenomenon.  And as much as I hated the way the Chiefs lost to the Buccs this year, I respect the heck out of their coach for his takes on coaching and training staff.  

Hockey is the sport with the most barriers to entry in the US, from what I can tell.  Ice time, equipment, etc. and leans very, very white in all categories. 

As far as DCC goes...not very many families can afford all the classes and training it takes to support what the current squad is demanding these days.  And like I've said in an earlier post, plenty of WOC have families that can fund these things, but there's a real class/race disparity issue in the US, and I suspect many of these women have better things to do with their time.  (Of the six women I know well that danced for various pro teams, three were WOC...all did it right after college and bailed after a year because they had other goals to achieve and demanding careers.  Two were from affluent families, one had working class immigrant parents.  But that was all in the early 2000's because I'm old now!)

Edited by kalibean
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, kalibean said:

100% agree with this.  That said, such an interesting take, @DCC-UK!  Most of us are US based, so it's hard to picture what the perception of the NFL is in Europe.  I suspect Tom Brady is the face of the NFL internationally, and he's elitist AF.  He's kind of the face everywhere, but he's conventionally attractive, supermodel wife, a zillion Super Bowl rings, etc etc etc etc.  Who else are the popular/well known players?  My teams are Chiefs, Seahawks and Cowboys (in that order) and all three happen to have black quarterbacks, but that's definitely a more recent phenomenon.  And as much as I hated the way the Chiefs lost to the Buccs this year, I respect the heck out of their coach for his takes on coaching and training staff.  

Hockey is the sport with the most barriers to entry in the US, from what I can tell.  Ice time, equipment, etc. and leans very, very white in all categories. 

As far as DCC goes...not very many families can afford all the classes and training it takes to support what the current squad is demanding these days.  And like I've said in an earlier post, plenty of WOC have families that can fund these things, but there's a real class/race disparity issue in the US, and I suspect many of these women have better things to do with their time.  (Of the six women I know well that danced for various pro teams, three were WOC...all did it right after college and bailed after a year because they had other goals to achieve and demanding careers.  Two were from affluent families, one had working class immigrant parents.  But that was all in the early 2000's because I'm old now!)

From the Netherlands and here the Raiders were huuuge in the 90's and are still fairly well-known. The Patriots have gotten more popular recently due to the Superbowl wins, also meaning Tom Brady has gotten a ton of coverage. Other teams that I see more often are the Cowboys, Seahawks, Giants, 49ers and Saints. 

I think what might have shaped a lot of opinions is that the mainstream news here only covers the Superbowl and the controversies: the NFL's treatment of Kaepernick and those taking a knee was on the evening news a lot. Only football fans will usually know more teams and players.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Tulip86 said:

From the Netherlands and here the Raiders were huuuge in the 90's and are still fairly well-known. The Patriots have gotten more popular recently due to the Superbowl wins, also meaning Tom Brady has gotten a ton of coverage. Other teams that I see more often are the Cowboys, Seahawks, Giants, 49ers and Saints. 

I think what might have shaped a lot of opinions is that the mainstream news here only covers the Superbowl and the controversies: the NFL's treatment of Kaepernick and those taking a knee was on the evening news a lot. Only football fans will usually know more teams and players.

The Raiders where "huuuuge" in the Netherlands in the 90s? That is white appropriation of black American culture. The same thing happened here in the USA - the Raiders got popular and were seen as the badass team because they were from Oakland, California (before they relocated), and west coast rappers and music artists wore their gear and insignias. There was a west coast v. east coast hip hop war at the time. I doubt their popularity in Europe had anything to do with a pure love of American Football, rather - as Black artists know this well - pretty much anything they do will be stolen and promoted in pop culture.  

• Useful 1

I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's just the way the NFL comes across over in the UK! I didn't realise that 70% of NFL players were African-American. I suppose over here, we see the same couple of black players and everyone else seems to be white on the sports news channels. You'd think the NFL would want to push these diverse figures more, hence why I knew nothing about it!

I also know nothing about the schools system so didn't know how playing football as a kid worked (if they played at school or if they did it outside of school).

(edited)
2 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

YES!

Historically and still today - the overwhelming majority of professional sports teams and most Fortune 500 companies are owned by white men.

The larger percentage of Cowboys fans are also white males. 

As such the cheerleaders have been historically chosen to attract white male audiences. Tall, leggy, "american" blondes.

So African American cheerleaders are competing for FEWER spots. Sadly, Kelli has a number in mind to complete her bouquet. 

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fwcowboysfan said:

A quick google search gave me this breakdown of players...

Black 57.5%
White 24.9 %
Two races 9.4%

I think since our main topic is who auditions to be a cheerleader for the NFL not the players, whats important is the ratio of POC among NFL fans compared to other sports, and not the ratio of POC among NFL players

at least that's what I thought @filishtay meant to say

Edited by Kamal
  • Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I'm sorry, I've read a few of the posts and just keep reading a lot of excuses.  Dallas is extremely diverse, if the girls aren't trying out that is on them.  Nothing is ever going to change if people keep blaming others.  This has been going on since I danced in the late 80's in San Antonio, also very diverse.  Many black girls didn't try out for dance team because other black girls at my school accused them of trying to be white.  That is when I really learned about within race discrimination, I don't get it.  Then when I made officer, the 3 girls that didn't make it (2 black, 1 latino -) blamed it solely on race.  Seriously?  So that makes those of that did make it feel great, like we didn't deserve it.  I'm all for diversity but if the percentages aren't there at tryouts than you can't pick someone just to fill a spot.  You already said you assumed your DCC tryout would be more challenging, how do you actually know that if you don't even try?  PS- I'm a 5'5 thick thighed curvy girl, used to be blonde.  Being a blonde was boring, been a brunette or redhead since the late 90's.  

8 minutes ago, klh25 said:

duplicate

Edited by klh25
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, klh25 said:

I'm sorry, I've read a few of the posts and just keep reading a lot of excuses.  Dallas is extremely diverse, if the girls aren't trying out that is on them.  Nothing is ever going to change if people keep blaming others. 

This, and specifically your remark on people blaming others, is a genuine problem and not just race-related. People who fail to reach their goals or cannot get what they want tend to start with blaming others rather than looking at how they could have done things differently. It’s the easiest and least confronting way  to deal with set-backs. I see it all around me, which annoys me a lot. Start with yourself: step up, be better than you’ve ever been and try again.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, LilyD said:

This, and specifically your remark on people blaming others, is a genuine problem and not just race-related. People who fail to reach their goals or cannot get what they want tend to start with blaming others rather than looking at how they could have done things differently. It’s the easiest and least confronting way  to deal with set-backs. I see it all around me, which annoys me a lot. Start with yourself: step up, be better than you’ve ever been and try again.

This is something I have drilled into my own children.  I've always been a realist - I have and never will tell my children "you can be or do anything you want".  That is the biggest load of BS.  I tell them to be responsible, be on time, be ACCOUNTABLE, if you want something work hard for it.  When something goes wrong, what was your part in it?  What could you have done differently/better, etc.?  The sooner someone moves on from blame the better off they will be.  When I tried out for HS dance team, I came from band - never trained in dance but always wanted to do it.  I couldn't even do the splits when I started.  I worked my a$$ off and ended up being the most flexible one, I stretched any chance I got.  Many thought I couldn't do it but I never listened and I am so glad.  It was some of the best years of my life.   

• Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, klh25 said:

How is the opportunity to try out for the DCC not equal and accessible?  If they choose not to try out then it IS on them.  I have been treated poorly by customers as a woman at my job, it only made me want to prove myself more.  I'm not ignoring anything, simply stating that if you are a POC and you are mad and tired of not getting what you want then get out and prove yourself and shut the naysayers down.  I can't blame someone else for not getting the job if I don't apply.

We can agree to disagree as I'm likely not able to adequately explain. There are multiple variables which deter and/or prevent women of color from advancing in the pro-cheer world. It's been well documented and discussed across multiple platforms. If you are interested - I can send you some reading. 

Recognizing those barriers and attempting to change the system is no easy task of course and kudos to any individual trying to break down barriers against system wide resistance. Again this takes nothing away from a hard working white person.  Just as the fight for women's equality does not take anything away from a hard working man. But it's important to acknowledge the culture we live in. The set up is white across our country.

This issue is not about a singular black person making the team. Yes we should applaud those who make it!!! Just like any of the girls.  But we don't cry success when "a certain # of people of color" make the team. The fact that we have to count and keep track at all is part of the problem of our history. This issue is about the set up from being born in a country in which the inherent advantages lean white. The color of one's skin determines the burden they carry from birth. The system is skewed. Opportunity and accessibility are thus unequal.

You're probably familiar with assertive women being labeled as "b#$chy." Try being an assertive black woman entering a white advantaged culture. Yes, fight for equality absolutely but be careful of the burden one carries representing an entire race. Be careful of what you say lest you be called "an angry, aggressive black woman."  Be careful you don't wear your natural hair. Be careful of the sun so you aren't too dark. Be careful to not let your natural muscular curvy body bloom. Be extra careful if you are one of the "lucky" few who make it through. Because the spots for people of color are much much fewer than for the others. Be extra extra careful. Try much much harder. The burden as you can see is not the same. 

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 24
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

We can agree to disagree as I'm likely not able to adequately explain. There are multiple variables which deter and/or prevent women of color from advancing in the pro-cheer world. It's been well documented and discussed across multiple platforms. If you are interested - I can send you some reading. 

Recognizing those barriers and attempting to change the system is no easy task of course and kudos to any individual trying to break down barriers against system wide resistance. Again this takes nothing away from a hard working white person.  Just as the fight for women's equality does not take anything away from a hard working man. But it's important to acknowledge the culture we live in. The set up is white across our country.

This issue is not about a singular black person making the team. Yes we should applaud those who make it!!! Just like any of the girls.  But we don't cry success when "a certain # of people of color" make the team. The fact that we have to count and keep track at all is part of the problem of our history. This issue is about the set up from being born in a country in which the inherent advantages lean white. The color of one's skin determines the burden they carry from birth. The system is skewed. Opportunity and accessibility are thus unequal.

You're probably familiar with assertive women being labeled as "b#$chy." Try being an assertive black woman entering a white advantaged culture. Yes, fight for equality absolutely but be careful of the burden one carries representing an entire race. Be careful of what you say lest you be called "an angry, aggressive black woman."  Be careful you don't wear your natural hair. Be careful of the sun so you aren't too dark. Be careful to not let your natural muscular curvy body bloom. Be extra careful if you are one of the "lucky" few who make it through.

It is not a matter of disagreeing, I want more diversity as well.  I appreciate your perspective.  My point is that you can't sit at home and complain if you don't even try.  You have to be like Briana, Jacie, Robin, Jasmine, Jada, Armani, Yuko, etc. and show up.  All very beautiful, talented, strong women of color.  I would think that would encourage others to follow suit.   I hope it will get better the more people try and time passes.  People like my Grandfather that actually were racist are dying off.   

Edited by klh25
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, klh25 said:

It is not a matter of disagreeing, I want more diversity as well.  I appreciate your perspective.  My point is that you can't sit at home and complain if you don't even try.  You have to be like Briana, Jacie, Robin, Jasmine, Jada, Armani, Yuko, etc. and show up.  All very beautiful, talented, strong women of color.  I would think that would encourage others to follow suit.   I hope it will get better the more people try and time passes.  People like my Grandfather that actually were racist are dying off.   

Certainly it's VERY encouraging when people of color see other trailblazers accessing these worlds. More and more. It's wonderful to see.  However your original point was that there was no inequality. My rebuttal was that there is still an unequal playing field.  You suggested that a black woman needs to  "stop complaining and just try."  It's just not that simple and a completely unfair burden to put "on them."  So on that point, we can agree to disagree. 

And I want to thank you for engaging in this discussion. Maybe it helps a little to understand each others perspectives. 

• Love 18
6 hours ago, klh25 said:

I'm sorry, I've read a few of the posts and just keep reading a lot of excuses.  Dallas is extremely diverse, if the girls aren't trying out that is on them.  Nothing is ever going to change if people keep blaming others.  This has been going on since I danced in the late 80's in San Antonio, also very diverse.  Many black girls didn't try out for dance team because other black girls at my school accused them of trying to be white.  That is when I really learned about within race discrimination, I don't get it.  Then when I made officer, the 3 girls that didn't make it (2 black, 1 latino -) blamed it solely on race.  Seriously?  So that makes those of that did make it feel great, like we didn't deserve it.  I'm all for diversity but if the percentages aren't there at tryouts than you can't pick someone just to fill a spot.  You already said you assumed your DCC tryout would be more challenging, how do you actually know that if you don't even try?  PS- I'm a 5'5 thick thighed curvy girl, used to be blonde.  Being a blonde was boring, been a brunette or redhead since the late 90's.  

I’m a little confused on exactly what you are criticizing in my post. I’m merely mentioning why I wouldn’t have tried out if I was of appropriate DCC age and dancing ability. For me, sometimes perception = reality. And my perception of the DCC brand is blonde hair/blue eyes/long American thigh - mainly because those words have literally come out of the DCC Director’s mouth.  Now that wouldn’t be the only reason (reason, not excuse) I wouldnt try out, but it would definitely factor into it. (No dancing talent/background/ability and no interest in participating professional cheerleading would be the other reasons 🤷🏻‍♀️)  

Now if someone else’s perception is “I don’t give a shit what Kelli says, I’m still going to go for it,” then that’s awesome! I admire that type of passion and commitment to a dream. 

And I agree, if quality and qualified candidates of any race/color/ethnicity aren't trying out, then they obviously aren’t going to be represented on the team. But how many beautiful WOC have we seen during snippets in the audition episodes that never get highlighted by the show? Or maybe we see a snippet of Kelli saying, “I like her energy” in Finals but then never see why she wasn’t chosen for TC?  We sometimes don’t even get a name. But we get 7 solid episodes of KelFine fawning over crybaby Brianna from New Jersey? 

Maybe it’s a problem with the show and what they choose to air and highlight, as opposed to the DCC brand. 

I know it sounds like I’m fired up by this topic, but I’m really not. The constant streaming and rewatching of this show (I had it on in the background while I worked from home this year) has really started highlighting some issues that I have with the DCC brand. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, klh25 said:

This is something I have drilled into my own children.  I've always been a realist - I have and never will tell my children "you can be or do anything you want".  That is the biggest load of BS.  I tell them to be responsible, be on time, be ACCOUNTABLE, if you want something work hard for it.  When something goes wrong, what was your part in it?  What could you have done differently/better, etc.?  The sooner someone moves on from blame the better off they will be.  When I tried out for HS dance team, I came from band - never trained in dance but always wanted to do it.  I couldn't even do the splits when I started.  I worked my a$$ off and ended up being the most flexible one, I stretched any chance I got.  Many thought I couldn't do it but I never listened and I am so glad.  It was some of the best years of my life.   

And please let me be crystal clear: I am not blaming anyone involved with DCC for stopping me or anyone else from trying out for their dancing girls team 🙄 Either I didn’t explain it clearly or you are being willfully ignorant to my point. Its not that they “scare” me away, it’s that I wouldn’t want to be associated with them. It is for this reason, coupled with a myriad of other reasons, why I would not try out. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Whoever came up with the concept of hashtags is a hero.  So easy to find those who are auditioning, cause we probably wouldn't have seen this gal if she hadn't used them.  Only so many go to prep classes or zoom them.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem many have posted photos using the hashtag this year, seems to be very slim pickings.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jesiklyn said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem many have posted photos using the hashtag this year, seems to be very slim pickings.

Maybe they will post if they make it to the next round 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

How is the opportunity to try out for the DCC not equal and accessible? 

11 hours ago, klh25 said:

We can agree to disagree as I'm likely not able to adequately explain. There are multiple variables which deter and/or prevent women of color from advancing in the pro-cheer world

I think, at least in the first round (prelims), it is equal and accessible. Anyone can sign up regardless of age (ok 18+) colour or looks. But.... in the next few stages, more and more woc seem to be cut. Some for obvious reasons, others not. 

10 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

You suggested that a black woman needs to  "stop complaining and just try."  It's just not that simple and a completely unfair burden to put "on them."

I think that this interpretation is a little bit too harsh, yet I can see how you got to this. I think it was meant as a more general comment: If you want to complain, fine but have you actually tried to do something about it?  And this attitude you see everywhere, regardless of race.

But I also agree that some groups seem to make it with giving 80% whereas other groups always need to give 200% and are not allowed to make mistakes. Having said this, it does start with trying. It always does...

• Love 1
12 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I’m a little confused on exactly what you are criticizing in my post. I’m merely mentioning why I wouldn’t have tried out if I was of appropriate DCC age and dancing ability. For me, sometimes perception = reality. And my perception of the DCC brand is blonde hair/blue eyes/long American thigh - mainly because those words have literally come out of the DCC Director’s mouth.  Now that wouldn’t be the only reason (reason, not excuse) I wouldnt try out, but it would definitely factor into it. (No dancing talent/background/ability and no interest in participating professional cheerleading would be the other reasons 🤷🏻‍♀️)  

Now if someone else’s perception is “I don’t give a shit what Kelli says, I’m still going to go for it,” then that’s awesome! I admire that type of passion and commitment to a dream. 

And I agree, if quality and qualified candidates of any race/color/ethnicity aren't trying out, then they obviously aren’t going to be represented on the team. But how many beautiful WOC have we seen during snippets in the audition episodes that never get highlighted by the show? Or maybe we see a snippet of Kelli saying, “I like her energy” in Finals but then never see why she wasn’t chosen for TC?  We sometimes don’t even get a name. But we get 7 solid episodes of KelFine fawning over crybaby Brianna from New Jersey? 

Maybe it’s a problem with the show and what they choose to air and highlight, as opposed to the DCC brand. 

I know it sounds like I’m fired up by this topic, but I’m really not. The constant streaming and rewatching of this show (I had it on in the background while I worked from home this year) has really started highlighting some issues that I have with the DCC brand. 

I wasn't criticizing your post per se, it was the last after a series of similar comments.  Just felt the need to say something and I'm sorry if you thought it was directed at you.  Honestly if people really want change they need to write letters in force to CMT or to DCC/Dallas Cowboys organization directly.  Maybe then they will know how people really feel, maybe it is time for the Old School folks to move on down the road (Kelli/Judy).  I was a Strutter in 90-91, Ms. Tidwell the founder was still the director.  It was somewhat ridiculous, her mentality was stuck in the 50-60's.  The team since she retired has progressed tremendously.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, klh25 said:

I wasn't criticizing your post per se, it was the last after a series of similar comments.  Just felt the need to say something and I'm sorry if you thought it was directed at you.  Honestly if people really want change they need to write letters in force to CMT or to DCC/Dallas Cowboys organization directly.  Maybe then they will know how people really feel, maybe it is time for the Old School folks to move on down the road (Kelli/Judy).  I was a Strutter in 90-91, Ms. Tidwell the founder was still the director.  It was somewhat ridiculous, her mentality was stuck in the 50-60's.  The team since she retired has progressed tremendously.   

No worries!! In re-reading it, I realize that now! 

And I totally agree with you in not letting someone else dictate what you can and can’t accomplish! When I was 12 years old, I decided I wanted to go into a field that is traditionally a male dominated field. For years people would ask me, Why? And, Are you sure? And nothing deterred me. Luckily my father was biggest supporter and champion. And then once I successfully got into the field, I found that there is an entire generation of male colleagues who have an “idea” of what someone with this job title looks like and I’m definitely not it, so I work hard to prove myself. I can’t say the guys are entirely misogynistic, but it definitely toes that line. I see a tiny bit of these types of guys in Kelli and Judy at times. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, DCCland said:

Does anyone know how there announcing who’s going to the next round tomorrow? Will it be on Instagram or will we not even find out?

The girls find out threw email !! We won’t know unless girls post 

Edited by Holly85
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

No worries!! In re-reading it, I realize that now! 

And I totally agree with you in not letting someone else dictate what you can and can’t accomplish! When I was 12 years old, I decided I wanted to go into a field that is traditionally a male dominated field. For years people would ask me, Why? And, Are you sure? And nothing deterred me. Luckily my father was biggest supporter and champion. And then once I successfully got into the field, I found that there is an entire generation of male colleagues who have an “idea” of what someone with this job title looks like and I’m definitely not it, so I work hard to prove myself. I can’t say the guys are entirely misogynistic, but it definitely toes that line. I see a tiny bit of these types of guys in Kelli and Judy at times. 

That is awesome!  Hopefully you are changing their idea of how someone in your field should look :)  When I started in Banking in the 90's I mostly worked with men, you definitely see a lot more women in Leadership roles now and it is nice to see.