Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03. Carrie's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

They are paying me $$$ to retire, so I'll be retired faculty in a few months. Then I can watch tv reruns all day and night

I retired in 2019. I stayed in my university town and if it weren't for COVID, I'd be enjoying the cultural life on campus instead of hanging out in my home office, snarking on the internet. Enjoy your retirement.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, LizzyB said:

I'm in this group, too...how is it that there are so many of us on a TLC forum?  I mean, it's pretty damn funny.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not at all highbrow. I'm a college dropout and lucked into my academic career. I've worked at 3 big name universities, but I didn't even know how to type when I started out as a temp. I was lucky, the people there liked me, I learned how to type and use Word Perfect (hey, it was 1990) and ended up getting hired and stayed there almost 10 years. The rest is history. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, DropTheSoap said:

I’ve told people who want to be lawyers to be plumbers instead. Unless you get into a top school, it’s expensive and overcrowded as a field.

And consider, no one’s going to outsource your toilet. 

Welders as well.  Especially women and men with fine motor skills.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, aliya said:

I retired in 2019. I stayed in my university town and if it weren't for COVID, I'd be enjoying the cultural life on campus instead of hanging out in my home office, snarking on the internet. Enjoy your retirement.

Hoping that by the time June rolls around, we wil be vaccinated and I can have the retirement I envisioned. 

• Love 7

I've posted this before, but Mrs. FB and I were in Houston about a month ago and we got selfies in front of Dr. Now's office.  I will be happy to text  them to anyone who wants to see them, since we're all friends here.  Send PM for text and I'll be happy to share.  

• Love 8

So happy when she got approved.  It went well.  Why so damned sad now?  Jealous you couldn't have a burger?  You knew what you were getting into!   I would have just left the room with my broth and closed the door.  I don't get it.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

They are paying me $$$ to retire, so I'll be retired faculty in a few months. Then I can watch tv reruns all day and night

Retirement is the BEST. I am still on my work sleep/wake schedule. Only now, when I get out of bed at 7AM, I am joyful that I don't have any emails to deal with, and I don't have to answer to anyone.

It's been six months, but that still brings me joy.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Splashes said:

Nice, I remember one of my favorite books when I was little was about this girl during the great leap forward. But lets be honest everyone goes through a phase where they are a communist/tankie, fascist, or extreme libertarian. Its part of growing up! 😛

The Chinese ping pong team came to Ann Arbor when I was there. It was a HUGE deal. I was a fan girl, as the kids say these days. 😃

• Love 3
1 minute ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Well that was a riveting conversation in the park.

The daughter looks like she gained weight.

"Maybe next time we come here, I'll be running." Hot tip for Carrie:  if you ever want to be able to run, you have to go back to that park many, many times and walk.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
  • Good evening, Pounders. I'd forgotten about the new season. When I realized there was a new show tonight, I hit the "record rest of program" button. I guess it's judt as well I missed the bathtub. It sounds disgustingly gross.

My eating habit tonight was rigatoni with my homemade tomato and Italian sausage sauce, a slice of garlic bread, and a salad. Oh, almost forgot about the wine. I took the dog for a 2.5 mile walk today, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Carrie is very whiny, but she does have a job which is more than I can say for most poundticipants.

Edited by ShoePrincess
  • Love 6
Just now, Snarkastikate said:

So happy when she got approved.  It went well.  Why so damned sad now?  Jealous you couldn't have a burger?  You knew what you were getting into!   I would have just left the room with my broth and closed the door.  I don't get it.  

If they are gonna sit around gnawing on burgers, she will be back up to 600 in a year or 2

• Love 1
Just now, aliya said:

The Chinese ping pong team came to Ann Arbor when I was there. It was a HUGE deal. I was a fan girl, as the kids say these days. 😃

Thats really cool thing! Im not sure weve ever had something like that.

• Love 1
Just now, Floatingbison said:

I've posted this before, but Mrs. FB and I were in Houston about a month ago and we got selfies in front of Dr. Now's office.  I will be happy to text  them to anyone who wants to see them, since we're all friends here.  Send PM for text and I'll be happy to share.  

Does it look as much like a car dealership in real life as it does on tv?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm a college dropout and lucked into my academic career.

Same here, I was hired for graphic design at a newspaper and barely knew how to type. They sent me to a college class and I learned on the job. After I was hired my good old boss retired and a new young guy came in and he required anyone in my position to have a degree. 

6 minutes ago, Splashes said:

Nice, I remember one of my favorite books when I was little was about this girl during the great leap forward. But lets be honest everyone goes through a phase where they are a communist/tankie, fascist, or extreme libertarian. Its part of growing up! 😛

Was it "Eighth Moon"? I loved that book, I swear it started my fascination with China under Mao. 

5 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Retirement is the BEST. I am still on my work sleep/wake schedule. Only now, when I get out of bed at 7AM, I am joyful that I don't have any emails to deal with, and I don't have to answer to anyone.

Good God, and I will finally get my degree at 59. I'm going to be working until I'm 90.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Suzywriter said:
  Reveal spoiler

That whole family is so joyless. Nobody laughs or smiles and they all talk like they are giving condolences at a funeral. 

I love the spoiler tag!  Made my day.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Suzywriter said:
  Hide contents

That whole family is so joyless. Nobody laughs or smiles and they all talk like they are giving condolences at a funeral. 

Ive seen this so many times in those southern conservative white families. Just often completely repressed of any emotion.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She misses her food! And her favorite baking pans! DO A DAMN CROSSWORD PUZZLE! READ A BOOK! 

I've been doing dot-to-dot puzzles (for adults) on my lunch break on the days I'm in the office.

5 minutes ago, Eldemarge said:

"I don't why, but sometimes I get these CRAVINGS??  Like for a hamburger sometimes??"   Could that be because people are literally sitting in the same room with you, shoving burgers into their pig faces?  Shit's RUDE, y'all.  That is not cool.  They need to not be doing that around her if she's going to succeed.  

There's an argument to made that she has to learn to be around people eating "normally"...but you'd think her family would at least refrain from eating junk in front of her right after surgery, when she's not even eating real food yet. (Never mind that Chris is supposed to be doing this with her and her daughter should be joining them at Dr. Now's. Her boyfriend's not far behind, either.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, umgoblue said:

WootWoot!!!!  Congratulations!   I've wanted to retire since I was in my 20s.  I have a long time to go, so I will live vicariously through you. 🙂

OTOH.....don't wish your life away. Working for a living does suck at times, but please enjoy your day to day life! 💕💕

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm a Tudor person, too, though trying to learn more about the Plantagenets.

Youtube has some excellent British documentaries about the Plantagenets, particularly about several fascinating queens who frequently called the shots.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Good God, and I will finally get my degree at 59. I'm going to be working until I'm 90.

I am super impressed that you will earn your degree at 59.  💪

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Was it "Eighth Moon"? I loved that book, I swear it started my fascination with China under Mao. 

Honestly I have no idea. Thought dragon was in the name but I really cannot remember.

Good night, Pounders! I've been up since 4 a.m. and Carrie has officially wiped me out of all the energy I had left to stay awake.

Good luck on your journey, Carrie! I hope you continue to lose weight!

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

I have my first meeting with HR to start my retirement planning in a couple of weeks. I am giddy with glee, I intend to be insanely lazy for the rest of my natural life. 

8 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Welders as well.  Especially women and men with fine motor skills.  

My father was a machinist and my brother an electrician. My dad was without a doubt the smartest person I ever knew. He was fabulously well informed, knew tons of stuff about history and current events, and forgot more about classical music than most people ever know. 

8 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Word Perfect was AWESOME! So much better than Word. 

I loved it. You never forget your first. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

OTOH.....don't wish your life away. Working for a living does suck at times, but please enjoy your day to day life! 💕💕

That only works in hindsight. Getting up and going to work is a formula for being disgruntled. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Word Perfect was AWESOME! So much better than Word. 

I still use it. I hate Word. Editing is so much easier in WP.

I just saw the chicken and pasta dinner. Four greasy breadsticks! Four!!! Not a single speck of green anywhere to be seen. And that portion size. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2