Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

saoirse

S03.E03: Letting Go

Recommended Posts

Quote

Katherine discovers a possible connection between Eddie’s accident and Alex’s mysterious death. Meanwhile, Rome seeks help to address some pent-up anger issues, and Maggie continues on her journey of self-discovery in England. As Delilah prepares for her trip, Gary helps Danny confront a bully at his school.

Airing Thursday, December 10, 2020.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

So, yay for Eddie's accident being only an accident. Very anti-climatic, but glad that this story arc can be dropped and we never have to hear about Dead!Alex again, right? 

But I figured Eddie would start taking the pain killers and will become addicted. Which, sadly, is also believable, even for people who aren't originally addicts. And David Giuntoli keeps knocking this out of the park.

And while I'm not exactly happy about the prospect of Maggie and Jamie getting together, I do like Maggie letting go. And trying new things. Something I can relate to.

See, 12 years ago, shortly before I turned 30, I had a blood clot in my brain. I'm much better now. But I keep wanting to try new things. To celebrate life. Not skydiving or anything like that, because that's a waste of a perfectly good plane. But I would absolutely try doing the trapeze if I had something that offered it. Indoor skydiving? I would absolutely try it. On my 42nd birthday this past August, I went and threw axes around. I've done mystery rooms. So I identified with Maggie wanting to try new things.

But, girl, why didn't you shower and change before doing your podcast, because I completely understand trying to new things and celebrating life. But I wouldn't sit in a vomit-stained shirt while doing so.

Everything else, eh. Gina and Rome... I don't know if this is awfully quick to be getting on the same page or awfully slow. That seems anti-climatic as well, somehow. I can't quite put my finger on why I feel that way.

I'm really not interested in Rome's movie. At all. I think I'm really supposed to hate the character who is playing Movie!Gina, but I can't bring myself to care.

My quick two cents. 🙂

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post

I was rolling my eyes when Jamie said that Maggie was SO BRAVE for going to a class by herself. I am super shy but I have taken random weird classes by myself multiple times over the years. I think it's actually better when you try new stuff alone because then you are more open to making friends with the people in your class. If you go with someone who you already know, then you're more likely to only talk to them instead of new people.

I'm glad that Rome is still seeing a therapist. Even without the baby stuff, he should be talking to someone about his depression and suicidal thoughts. It makes me feel better that he's still seeing a professional instead of expecting that the love and support of his friends will fix everything. Emotional support is important, but so is having an impartial therapist who you can talk to freely who will give you professional advice.

I don't care if this episode was an ad to get a doorbell camera. It's still a good thing to have in this day and age! But I loved that Carter took the articles about Alex's accident and played detective instead of shredding them.

  • Love 9
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was rolling my eyes when Jamie said that Maggie was SO BRAVE for going to a class by herself.

And when has she ever been timid?  She went to a strangers funeral on her first date with Gary and never left the friend group after that. She stole an elderly lady’s dog with no second thoughts.  She went off on someone in a Christmas tree line.  Now, I don’t find any of these things brave, but they certainly are bold choices.

  • Love 16

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

And when has she ever been timid?  She went to a strangers funeral on her first date with Gary and never left the friend group after that. She stole an elderly lady’s dog with no second thoughts.  She went off on someone in a Christmas tree line.  Now, I don’t find any of these things brave, but they certainly are bold choices.

Exactly! I mean, she moved to another country where she doesn't know anyone, but going to a trapeze class by herself is brave? It's not like she's some shy shut in who has never done anything bold before.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

When Katherine took the pain killers from the nurse I thought it was a mistake, but that at least she’d hide them from Eddie. Makes no sense that she would have him tested for alcohol and drugs in the hospital, and then feel comfortable enough to put those pills on a shelf in the kitchen. 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

The final outcome was good (and it might have been the same, even if Gary had respected Danny’s privacy), but Gary hijacking Danny’s phone was obnoxious and overstepping. 
Hate Maggie podcasting her extra life. 

Gary “joking” that he’s not telling Colin that Darcy is his girlfriend is too predictable.

Regina, why are you wearing your hair like that? We want to see your gorgeous face. Pull it back.

Oh, Theo . . .

You’ve got cool parents. You’ve got a cool name. Why do you s- - - so much?


 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wish the show would portray Maggie as a single person for a little while.  I am married now, but I spent many years as a single woman. 

In my experience, you do not just go from one charming boyfriend to the next.   Most single professional women spend time searching for someone to date and having some hit and miss encounters. But, for Maggie, it is so easy to meet someone who is caring, has a nice house, looks like Prince Harry, and is totally available.  Yeah whatever.

I do really like how they've incorporated James Roday Rodriguez's background with Gary.  It was cool how he mentioned that his father called him "mijo."  I wonder if that is a real element that James brought to the character.

I really hate Regina and Rome.  I like the actors, but the characters are really joyless and tedious, both of them.

I don't understand why they've chosen this direction for Eddie.  Katherine has that perpetually worried but acting happy vibe.  This isn't going to end well.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

I really hate Regina and Rome.  I like the actors, but the characters are really joyless and tedious, both of them.

They were my favorites in the beginning, but I'm struggling with their scenes.  Maybe it's good acting, but Regina's misery is too depressing.  I know she suddenly wanted a baby after not wanting one at all ever, but acting like the baby died is too much.  I get it - she is disappointed.  But it is truly JUST disappointment!  The baby didn't die, she didn't have a miscarriage, nothing bad happened except her HOPES were dashed.  That's not grief - it's disappointment. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, historylover820 said:

But, girl, why didn't you shower and change before doing your podcast, because I completely understand trying to new things and celebrating life. But I wouldn't sit in a vomit-stained shirt while doing so.

It kind of icked me out - and then when she did her come hither, I expected him to say "let's start in the shower.."

 

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Everything else, eh. Gina and Rome... I don't know if this is awfully quick to be getting on the same page or awfully slow. That seems anti-climatic as well, somehow. I can't quite put my finger on why I feel that way.

I think, for me, it's because it's dragging on, both sides are acting badly about this, AND we know they aren't splitting them up so it's not really heading anywhere but another baby. If this turns into them adopting an older child, I'd probably be more impressed. I think both Regina and Rome are annoying me with this. Regina IS acting like the child she was adopting died instead and, as much history I have with adoption and understand the emotional toll it can take on prospective parents, it's been over a month, if not two months by now. Disappointment and sadness is inevitable. Grieving for this long is unhealthy and, if anything, Regina should be seeing her own therapist for this. At the same time, though, Rome is acting ridiculous about this as well. Taking out his anger over not having a child on his wife, not communicating with her, and only just opening the doors to that because he finally sat down with his therapist to start dealing with his own feelings. So I hope this is really the start of them moving past this.

I thought that I wanted a time jump with Maggie's time in England. I thought that they might just have her come back early because they wouldn't want to dedicate so much time with Maggie away from the other main characters. Not saying that she won't go home early yet, but they seem to be dedicated to her spending at least a few more months in England (even though we'll never see a true exterior shot) and having her have a story with Jamie. It's also showing her growth, even a little bit, and I enjoy her scenes again. I used to like her in season 1. I thought Gary was the unreasonable one in their season 1 story. Season 2 ruined her quite a bit for me. But they seem to be back on track.

So, Alex died from drugs and her father made it look like a drowning. The reasoning makes so little sense and is super ridiculous BUT the story is done, at least on that side of things, so I can't be too mad. David Giuntoli is doing so well with the material this season. He hasn't gotten as much to do in two seasons so I appreciate them showing off his true acting chops. I also enjoyed his scenes with Darcy. Eddie and Darcy having a real talk is great, and I do love Darcy getting more to do. I hope she never leaves because she has fast become one of my favourites.

Danny and Gary's story was ok, if not predictable. Delilah going off to France is just fine with me. Her having less screentime this season has been very nice.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

So, I was having a hard time sleeping, and my brain kept going back to analyze why I couldn't care less about Rome's movie. Out of all the plots, this is what my brain chose to focus on.

Stupid brain.

But, let's see if I can get my thoughts down:

I used to want to be a writer/director and I seriously am not. Absolutely no connections to show business. So, this may be just me as an extremely amateur writer. Which you will definitely see if anyone decides to read this 🙂

I'm a movie freak. Love movies. But, every time I see a movie or a show about making a movie, I start going "If this was real life, is this a movie that I'd care about seeing?"

And from what I know about Rome's movie, the answer is decidedly no.

So, let's say that this is reality. This movie that Rome doing is his own biopic. He wrote the story of his life, he's producing and directing. Is he also starring as himself? I've heard nothing about him trying to cast his own character. This is the very definition of a vanity project.

Vanity projects aren't unique, and some are pretty successful. But the last time I can think of a first time movie director filming a successful vanity project is Orson Welles. And even he didn't even write his own life story when he came up with the story of Citizen Kane. Plus, Orson Welles, although only 26 at the time and was a first time movie director, was a known name in radio, namely for War of the Worlds.

How many TV commercial directors do you know by name off the top of your head? You need some real clout in show business for a vanity project to really work.

Michael Bay got his start as a commercial director and music video director, and his first movie was not written based around his life.

George Lucas' second movie was the semi-autobiographic American Graffiti, which he wrote and directed. And it's based around his life, but not really about his life. That was a success. But, it was low budgeted, and it featured no big stars at the time (it certainly is a cast that became big stars after the movie).

So, assuming this is real, Rome is a real director, filming a real movie, based on his real life, I'm thinking "Why should I care about seeing this movie when it comes out in theaters?" (Assuming it does and not on streaming.) I love biopics, but when I know who the subject is. I love Rocket Man, because I love Elton John's music. Bohemian Rhapsody is OK, but I went to it because I know who Queen is. 

But, I do acknowledge biopics also can depict the life of a person who changed things. I'm sure not many people outside of her area knew who Erin Brockovich was until the movie, but this movie is about something. Norma Rae is also based on a real person. But, again the reason why their stories were filmed (and not by them) is because their actions changed the lives of many people.

However, it seems like Rome's story is about being able to overcome depression and anxiety (because this script would not have this adoption struggle in it. There has been practically no time between the greenlight for this movie and the adoption drama). OK, that's a great story, but why would I, someone who has no clue who Rome is, want to watch this movie? (Again, assuming this is really happening in our reality).

Frankly, Eddie, even before this accident, would actually be make a better subject for a biopic. Not that he'd be an ideal subject, but he was the frontman of a middling rock band (popular enough that they were able to tour and be opening act of some pretty popular groups), overcame an alcohol problem when his son was born, and wrote a fairly popular song that got some airplay a year ago.

  • Love 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Alex died from drugs and her father made it look like a drowning. The reasoning makes so little sense and is super ridiculous BUT the story is done, at least on that side of things, so I can't be too mad. David Giuntoli is doing so well with the material this season. He hasn't gotten as much to do in two seasons so I appreciate them showing off his true acting chops. I also enjoyed his scenes with Darcy. Eddie and Darcy having a real talk is great, and I do love Darcy getting more to do. I hope she never leaves because she has fast become one of my favourites.

It is pretty dumb for the father to have made it look like a drowning. I get wanting to protect the other daughter, but couldn't they just lie and say they didn't know where Alex got the drugs? And wouldn't they have done an autopsy and seen the girl died from an OD and was dead when she went into the water?

The other thing that doesn't make sense is, didn't we see the father being rude to Eddie last season? Why would he do that if he didn't blame him?

2 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I'm a movie freak. Love movies. But, every time I see a movie or a show about making a movie, I start going "If this was real life, is this a movie that I'd care about seeing?"

And from what I know about Rome's movie, the answer is decidedly no.

So, let's say that this is reality. This movie that Rome doing is his own biopic. He wrote the story of his life, he's producing and directing. Is he also starring as himself? I've heard nothing about him trying to cast his own character. This is the very definition of a vanity project.

Isn't that other guy he was scouting scenes with playing Rome? Last season we saw Rome pitching the idea to him and he was some kind of famous actor. We have never heard Rome talk about acting.

But the movie is basically the first season of this show. Anytime people on TV shows write a movie/book/anything, they write about their lives. It is weird that TV writers want to portray writers as being so uncreative that they have no other ideas.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone else wonder if maybe Darcy is the one who hit Eddie with the car? Something seems off with her to me. I also don’t like the storylines where someone is in pain and are prescribed pain medication but they can’t take it or they will immediately be addicted. People should not have to live in pain and if needed, short term pain medication should be OK. I assume when Darcy was encouraging Eddie to take meds, she has some nefarious purpose but in reality a good physical therapist would be honest about the needs of her patient.

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Does anyone else wonder if maybe Darcy is the one who hit Eddie with the car? Something seems off with her to me

Interesting, they will need something down the line to bring Maggie and Gary back together without making Gary look like a jerk.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

It is pretty dumb for the father to have made it look like a drowning. I get wanting to protect the other daughter, but couldn't they just lie and say they didn't know where Alex got the drugs? And wouldn't they have done an autopsy and seen the girl died from an OD and was dead when she went into the water?

The other thing that doesn't make sense is, didn't we see the father being rude to Eddie last season? Why would he do that if he didn't blame him?

That's exactly it, the entire story has not only been half ass, it counteracted what they tried to establish with the story. Plus, the way it sounds, the father confessed to it years ago and the sister was keeping it secret. However, as many said there would have been autopsy and there would have been the difference between drowning and ODing. Basically Eddie saw her and went to help, but realized she was dead and went from there. Still makes the story really stupid and the moral of the story kids... don't do drugs!

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I'm really not interested in Rome's movie. At all. I think I'm really supposed to hate the character who is playing Movie!Gina, but I can't bring myself to care.

I haven't even watched yet but I already didn't care about Rome's movie...

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that Rome's movie idea sounds rather not so interesting. So will it just be about Rome dealing with depression and anxiety, or will he be bringing in Johns suicide and everything else that had happened? I feel like they kind of need to, considering it was Johns suicide that stopped Rome's, is everyone alright with their lives being used in his movie? Or is it not really autobiographical or more like the story of "Remy and Rebecca" who are stand ins for Rome and Regina telling their story but changing some names and details? Because otherwise, who wants to just watch a major movie from a first time director/writer about his depression with no other twists or concepts? I guess its certainly possible to make it interesting, plenty of filmmakers have mined a lot from "character based on me deals with issues I have" but they are usually already pretty well known, or they find a more creative way to talk about their problems through stylization or metaphor or something, but nothing we have seen sounds like anything but Rome just filming his diary entries. I hope this means that Regina and Rome can move on, this fallout from the adoption just keeps going on and on. I get that its sad for them, but Regina has been moping for a month or two now, while Rome is bubbling with so much anger that he almost took a guys head off on the street, they really do need to move on. They were certainly taking the high road with Eve, calling her all nicely and even offering her the baby clothes that they got, they were certainly more polite than I would have been considering how much she screwed them over. 

I am really glad that it seems like the person who ran over Eddie was just some random person and it was an accident, which is very much welcome as opposed to the over the top attempted murder possibility, unless they are just drawing it out and it really was someone we know or will meet eventually, as we still haven't caught them yet. So if the whole family knew how Alex died and that Eddie had nothing to do with it, why were they all so rude to him when they saw him, blaming him for her death and telling him to stay away? Just to keep the lie up so that he would leave and not ask any awkward questions about the cover up? Its nice that the dad apologized and tried to come clean, but that's still a really sucky thing to do to someone. They could have just told him that they knew it was an accident and didn't blame him and he might have felt better and not have gone to the bar. Of course the biggest asshole in all of this is still Eddies sister, who brought up all of these painful memories to help her own piece of mind, accusing her recovering addict brother who has had the worst and most eventful year ever of killing their friend years ago, when no one could have possibly been helped by bringing it up, leading to him almost relapsing and getting paralyzed. No wonder she apparently left town, presumably to avoid the massive telling off she would get from Katherine. At least this stupid story is finally over. 

Also, did no one do an autopsy on Alex? They should be able to tell she didn't drown, right?

I continue to like Darcy and her interactions with both Eddie and Gary were really good. I do wonder why she or someone else didn't already talk to Eddie and Katherine about the possible perils of pain killers, which can be addictive to anyone, let alone someone with a history of addiction. Poor Eddie and Katherine, its always something. 

Maggie in London is infinitely better than Maggie in the US, and I continue to like Jamie, but I don't know if I would gush so much about how "brave" Maggie was to take a few classes where she didn't know people. Maggie has never exactly been a shrinking violet. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Does anyone else wonder if maybe Darcy is the one who hit Eddie with the car?

Darcy was with Gary the time of the accident.

3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I assume when Darcy was encouraging Eddie to take meds, she has some nefarious purpose but in reality a good physical therapist would be honest about the needs of her patient.

Probably no true nefarious purpose. She didn't push Eddie to take the painkillers once he explained why he wouldn't so it could be as simple as her not really connecting him being sober with him not taking the painkillers. Stupid TV trope, for sure, but one that doesn't make her bad for me. She dislikes Eddie for valid reasons.

 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, did no one do an autopsy on Alex? They should be able to tell she didn't drown, right?

Perhaps her dad requested no autopsy? I don't know how autopsies work, to be fair, so I don't know if they would honour that request with how Alex died.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I am really glad that it seems like the person who ran over Eddie was just some random person and it was an accident, which is very much welcome as opposed to the over the top attempted murder possibility, unless they are just drawing it out and it really was someone we know or will meet eventually, as we still haven't caught them yet

Watch: it will either be the old man who Eddie claimed "saved" him in the bar that night, or some new recurring character we will be meeting soon.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I continue to like Darcy and her interactions with both Eddie and Gary were really good. I do wonder why she or someone else didn't already talk to Eddie and Katherine about the possible perils of pain killers, which can be addictive to anyone, let alone someone with a history of addiction. Poor Eddie and Katherine, its always something. 

I just assume they do know, hence why Eddie was hesitant in taking them in the first place. Though it's more of a tired TV trope that Katherine would have the painkillers prescribed and in the house. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, izabella said:

They were my favorites in the beginning, but I'm struggling with their scenes.  Maybe it's good acting, but Regina's misery is too depressing.  I know she suddenly wanted a baby after not wanting one at all ever, but acting like the baby died is too much.  I get it - she is disappointed.  But it is truly JUST disappointment!  The baby didn't die, she didn't have a miscarriage, nothing bad happened except her HOPES were dashed.  That's not grief - it's disappointment. 

I mean the whole adoption storyline was so dumb anyway.  Had they gone through the PROPER procedures, counseling, training.  It’s like the #1 rule of thumb going into adoptions (outside of international adoption, I suppose).  But nope, it’s all a handshake and a hug.  Well, Regina this is what happens.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

 

 

Perhaps her dad requested no autopsy? I don't know how autopsies work, to be fair, so I don't know if they would honour that request with how Alex died.

When something that involves a police finding, an autopsy basic will be reported. It's to rule out if something was: natural, an accident or foul play was involved. Pretty much all a coroner would have done was been: "There is no water in her lungs, this woman didn't drown?" Take a blood sample, kind the drug in the blood platlets, ect and be: "This was the cause of an over dose." See no bruising on the face or needle marks and would then find the contents in the stomach. That's another thing, when someone dies, you don't just magically go: "Time to bury this person in the back." Organs have to be removed, embedding fluid has too added and anti fungal has to be sprayed on the body to prevent earlier decomposing until after the funeral. You can't just say: "no autopsy and be done with it." 

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/10/2020 at 11:23 PM, historylover820 said:

But, girl, why didn't you shower and change before doing your podcast, because I completely understand trying to new things and celebrating life. But I wouldn't sit in a vomit-stained shirt while doing so.

You see, this show is all about the "hidden meanings". She HAD to sit on soiled clothes because it is BritishMaggie, and she does all that (eye roll)

 

On 12/10/2020 at 11:23 PM, historylover820 said:

I'm really not interested in Rome's movie. At all. I think I'm really supposed to hate the character who is playing Movie!Gina, but I can't bring myself to care.

Same. Except that I do hate Movie!Gina. 

On 12/11/2020 at 3:23 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Rome is still seeing a therapist. Even without the baby stuff, he should be talking to someone about his depression and suicidal thoughts. It makes me feel better that he's still seeing a professional instead of expecting that the love and support of his friends will fix everything. Emotional support is important, but so is having an impartial therapist who you can talk to freely who will give you professional advice.

I don't care if this episode was an ad to get a doorbell camera. It's still a good thing to have in this day and age! But I loved that Carter took the articles about Alex's accident and played detective instead of shredding them

Agree on Rome, since he is not just going through a phase. People who want help with mental illness do need to make room for someone who is not emotionally involved in their lives.

The camera thing was a bit ridiculous. Oh, it was on Thursday - Yes that's the guy - hey, is that a red car? - Yes, and Eddie was hit by a red car - we got him!!!!!!!

On a side note, law enforcement have deals with some of the companies that sell those cameras (Amazon is one case) where they can use your feed to go after other people without your consent. And in at least one case, they terrorize a kid via the mic inside the house (don't remember the details now). Never getting one of those.

20 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Regina, why are you wearing your hair like that? We want to see your gorgeous face. Pull it back.

I thought she looked gorgeous. Beautiful hair. I assume it is part of the way black women are showing pride in their natural hair.

17 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think both Regina and Rome are annoying me with this. Regina IS acting like the child she was adopting died instead and, as much history I have with adoption and understand the emotional toll it can take on prospective parents, it's been over a month, if not two months by now.

Hey, maybe it's been just a couple of days. They turned Charlie back into an infant, we don't really know the timeline in this show. Each character has its own, I guess. 

I could not help thinking that maybe Delilah will just die and then Gina and Rome can have Charlie. It would be the ultimate mess up in how everyone of these friends get into each other's business.

14 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It is pretty dumb for the father to have made it look like a drowning. I get wanting to protect the other daughter, but couldn't they just lie and say they didn't know where Alex got the drugs? And wouldn't they have done an autopsy and seen the girl died from an OD and was dead when she went into the water?

The other thing that doesn't make sense is, didn't we see the father being rude to Eddie last season? Why would he do that if he didn't blame him?

That was pretty badly written but maybe this is the answer to your questions. the bad writing

And yes, there would have been an autopsy. I don't think anyone can refuse it if the death was an accident without a clear cause. 

 

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Probably no true nefarious purpose. She didn't push Eddie to take the painkillers once he explained why he wouldn't so it could be as simple as her not really connecting him being sober with him not taking the painkillers. Stupid TV trope, for sure, but one that doesn't make her bad for me. She dislikes Eddie for valid reasons.

Right, and she will likely be the one helping Eddie recover from his future new addiction since being part of this group of friends makes you get into people's business right away. 

 

I cannot stand Theo anymore. I hope the writers give the kid less air time because the acting is so bad, the character so unlikable. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Christina said:

I'm not sure why I keep giving this show a chance when I dislike more of it than I like. Wishful thinking maybe? 

My theory is a lot of us are sticking with AMLT because it had an interesting concept with talented actors. However, the execution sucks, so all of that goes out the window. Plus, I tried an episode or two of "This is Us," and found it to be overwrought. When ABC rolled AMLT out as a kind of alternative to "This is Us" I was more than willing to give it a try. My general impression is that while AMLT is a bit better this season, it's going to end up as one of those shows with unrealized potential.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, readster said:

When something that involves a police finding, an autopsy basic will be reported. It's to rule out if something was: natural, an accident or foul play was involved. Pretty much all a coroner would have done was been: "There is no water in her lungs, this woman didn't drown?" Take a blood sample, kind the drug in the blood platlets, ect and be: "This was the cause of an over dose." See no bruising on the face or needle marks and would then find the contents in the stomach. That's another thing, when someone dies, you don't just magically go: "Time to bury this person in the back." Organs have to be removed, embedding fluid has too added and anti fungal has to be sprayed on the body to prevent earlier decomposing until after the funeral. You can't just say: "no autopsy and be done with it." 

wouldn't they also want to know why she drowned? seizure, just tired, something?  i don't think the parent can just order no autopsy, can they?

 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Christina said:

I'm not sure why I keep giving this show a chance when I dislike more of it than I like. Wishful thinking maybe? 

For me, it’s because there aren’t many night time dramas that aren’t police or medical centered, so I have to take what is offered.  And yes, as much as a I snark and complain about these people, I am still entertained by the show and it’s (ridiculous over dramatic) storylines.  I’m a soap and rom com junkie so this checks that box for me.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It is pretty dumb for the father to have made it look like a drowning. I get wanting to protect the other daughter, but couldn't they just lie and say they didn't know where Alex got the drugs? And wouldn't they have done an autopsy and seen the girl died from an OD and was dead when she went into the water?

The other thing that doesn't make sense is, didn't we see the father being rude to Eddie last season? Why would he do that if he didn't blame him?

Isn't that other guy he was scouting scenes with playing Rome? Last season we saw Rome pitching the idea to him and he was some kind of famous actor. We have never heard Rome talk about acting.

But the movie is basically the first season of this show. Anytime people on TV shows write a movie/book/anything, they write about their lives. It is weird that TV writers want to portray writers as being so uncreative that they have no other ideas.

I think he was rude because he didn't want it dredged up again.

I think the guy scouting scenes with Rome is the actual director.

Yes, the movie is basically this show. Which amuses me because it sounds so bad.

18 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Does anyone else wonder if maybe Darcy is the one who hit Eddie with the car? Something seems off with her to me. I also don’t like the storylines where someone is in pain and are prescribed pain medication but they can’t take it or they will immediately be addicted. People should not have to live in pain and if needed, short term pain medication should be OK. I assume when Darcy was encouraging Eddie to take meds, she has some nefarious purpose but in reality a good physical therapist would be honest about the needs of her patient.

I think the dead girl's sister hit Eddie.

People who are already addicts do avoid using prescribed narcotics because they are at high risk for getting addicted to them. For most people short term pain medication is okay. But it is powerful stuff, and some people can't just stop once they've been taking them.

I personally know of one person within my acquaintanceship, not formerly an addict, who did get addicted to pain killers after surgery and ended up dying of a drug overdose after a few years of being an addict.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes but not everyone who is addicted to alcohol will immediately get addicted to any other substance and to expect all recovering addicts to just live with pain is not the right answer either. If Eddie is in pain and it’s preventing him from living life and exercising he should take pain meds under a doctor’s supervision. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think he was rude because he didn't want it dredged up again.

I think the dead girl's sister hit Eddie.

 

The only way it would make sense, but at the same time, it wouldn't. Where would she get this idea: "Oh, Eddie called after 20 years and he was at his family's old cabin." "He must have killed her." Yeah, you were also getting high that day, and you think Eddie did? Plus the fact, remember kids drugs kill, but hey blame someone even though you then find out your daddy knew it and decided: "Better throw her in the lake, we can't let the public know she got high and OD. The scandal!"

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

If Eddie is in pain and it’s preventing him from living life and exercising he should take pain meds under a doctor’s supervision. 

I was wondering that. I think that this "I will not take any pain meds because I am sober now" is an exaggeration for TV purposes. There must be a way for people to take the meds and still be able to remain clean. It must be possible for at least some people. Living in constant pain is not really something that a person can do and function at the same time

  • Love 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m loving Darcy and Gary and would love for this relationship to continue.  Hope she doesn’t carry too much baggage within her backstory.  I realize it would be part of the drama and that happy couples are considered boring, but I want them to be somewhat stable.  I do not want Gary and Maggie to reunite in a romantic way.....ever.

Also enjoying Maggie and Jamie which speaks volumes considering the fact I’ve never been a fan of Maggie.  I hope she remains in the UK for the rest of the season because it seems she blossoming there.  WHY didn’t Maggie remove her puke ridden clothes the minute she entered the house?

I still like Delilah much more than most of you and hope we never see her young stud boyfriend again.  I can’t figure out why the writers are having her head to France for “weeks”.  Maybe the actress has other obligations or it’s COVID-19 related.  It just feels odd.

The actor who plays Eddie is doing a remarkable job and I expect more of the same as we enter the pain pill addiction phase of his story.  

 

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

 I cannot stand Theo anymore. I hope the writers give the kid less air time because the acting is so bad, the character so unlikable. 

You mean there was a time that you could stand him? 

You must be a saint. 

 

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, circumvent said:

I thought she looked gorgeous. Beautiful hair. I assume it is part of the way black women are showing pride in their natural hair.

No, no: I agree 100%. I love her hair. It is also stunning. But I think that actress’s face is just beyond perfection. Her cheekbones and eyes. I feel like my mom, when I was 9; she always wanted to stick a barrette in my hair so everyone could see my “pretty face.” So I would love Regina to leave her beautiful, natural hair as is, just pin it back a little.

7 hours ago, tinderbox said:

I still like Delilah much more than most of you and hope we never see her young stud boyfriend again.  

I will sit at your table, masked up and six feet away. I think I like Delilah because I think the actress is charming. Especially when her accent slips. Unlike with the Maggie actress, I can separate the actor from the terrible storyline. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, snarkylady said:

You mean there was a time that you could stand him? 

First few episodes. Then I could still tolerate him. But now it is all rage when is TheoTime. The kid is seriously bad at acting, and the character well, you know. 

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, cinsays said:

wouldn't they also want to know why she drowned? seizure, just tired, something?  i don't think the parent can just order no autopsy, can they?

 

It seems pretty unlikely, even if the parent is a influential minister or whatever this guy is. Because if a teenage girl who knows how to swim shows up dead in a lake, and her father asks for no autopsy, isn't that a huge red flag to the cops?

9 hours ago, circumvent said:

I was wondering that. I think that this "I will not take any pain meds because I am sober now" is an exaggeration for TV purposes. There must be a way for people to take the meds and still be able to remain clean. It must be possible for at least some people. Living in constant pain is not really something that a person can do and function at the same time

They did a storyline on New Amsterdam about a doctor who had been an addict needing to take pain killers to recover from surgery. It was an interesting take to show that it was a risk but she had to do it because of the pain level, and she got a different doctor to specifically monitor her use of them.

I get that Eddie wants to stay sober, but if Katherine or even Darcy had control of the pills it seems like it should be okay, especially if the doctors and physical therapist think it will help the recovery.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, readster said:

The only way it would make sense, but at the same time, it wouldn't. Where would she get this idea: "Oh, Eddie called after 20 years and he was at his family's old cabin." "He must have killed her." Yeah, you were also getting high that day, and you think Eddie did? Plus the fact, remember kids drugs kill, but hey blame someone even though you then find out your daddy knew it and decided: "Better throw her in the lake, we can't let the public know she got high and OD. The scandal!"

I forget how the sister reacted when Eddie appeared, but I assume she remains fully cognizant of her role in her sister's death. So I figure she wouldn't want Eddie to dig too deeply and figure out what actually happened. On the other hand, with that quote (which I'm sure is accurate) I'm not sure what to think - though I do believe it makes a difference to who she was talking too. On the other hand, it's likely going to be a retcon anyway.

19 hours ago, snarkylady said:

You mean there was a time that you could stand him? 

You must be a saint. 

 

I liked him well enough for the first season, and was an apologist with the next (having had a child who was similarly emotionally young for their age and yet wise). But now, I'm definitely tired of their approach to his character.  His bio on IMDB doesn't list his age, but he's got acting credits starting in 2014.  I don't know if his character is older than he is in actuality, or if he simply isn't aging as fast as the other kids on the show. But his character is definitely grating. I don't know that I think he's necessarily a bad actor - it could be the story lines he's given and directors' choices. (still an apologist, but I hate to claim a child is a bad actor when there are a number of variables that could impact his acting)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't know that I think he's necessarily a bad actor - it could be the story lines he's given and directors' choices. (still an apologist, but I hate to claim a child is a bad actor when there are a number of variables that could impact his acting)

That's fair. I haven't seen anything else he's acted on so I am basing my critique only on his monotone robotic delivery - which can be, at least in part, bad direction, and the choice of the writers, making him so savvy, at the same time making the parents and everyone treat him as if he is will break into a million pieces (pun intended) if he knows truths.

This show seems to go wrong in every possible way sometimes.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/11/2020 at 2:43 PM, KaveDweller said:

It is pretty dumb for the father to have made it look like a drowning. I get wanting to protect the other daughter, but couldn't they just lie and say they didn't know where Alex got the drugs? And wouldn't they have done an autopsy and seen the girl died from an OD and was dead when she went into the water?

The other thing that doesn't make sense is, didn't we see the father being rude to Eddie last season? Why would he do that if he didn't blame him?

Yes, even 20 years ago, routine toxicology would've been done on Alex as part of the autopsy process.  The coroner would also have seen that she was already dead when she went into the water because she wouldn't have any water in her lungs because she wasn't breathing.  Therefore, drowning would've been ruled out as the cause of death pretty quickly and the coroner would've definitely checked for drugs in her system.

Also, anyone who dies outside of a hospital is a 'coroner's case' unless they are receiving ongoing medical care for a serious illness and their doctor is willing to sign the death certificate.  It is up to the coroner to collect the facts surrounding the death like reports from police or EMT and then make at least a cursory exam of the body.  Alex' dad could not possibly have enough clout to prevent an autopsy on a young girl who died suddenly like she did.  The very fact that she was supposedly 'swimming' in the middle of the night is a red flag that some investigation needs to be done.  The only times I've seen a coroner decline to perform a true autopsy is in the case of older adults with histories of diabetes or high blood pressure or smoking and obesity who had been diagnosed and treated for those things.  If the death has a reliable witness, then the coroner might be willing to sign the death certificate without a full autopsy.  My father died in his 70's, he was overweight and on blood pressure medication.  He collapsed in front of my sister and brother in law and the EMT's arrived within minutes.  He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.  The coroner called me since I am a physician (an OB/GYN though) and asked about my dad's family and medical history and I told him that my grandmother and two of my father's siblings had sudden cardiac deaths.  Did I think that that was what happened to my father? Yep.  Did I suspect anything amiss with what happened?  Nope.  Did the family want an autopsy?  Nope.  The end, no autopsy.  No way Alex' father could explain away the circumstances of her death well enough to prevent an investigation that would've ruled out drowning and would've identified illegal drugs in her system. Even if the coroner bought the story that she drowned, she apparently knew how to swim; so he/she would've checked for drugs or alcohol which would have impaired her judgement.

And, yes, we've got no explanation for the way Alex' father spoke to Eddie last year, nor is there any really compelling reason that explains why he's now wanting to come clean to Eddie.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Yes, even 20 years ago, routine toxicology would've been done on Alex as part of the autopsy process.  The coroner would also have seen that she was already dead when she went into the water because she wouldn't have any water in her lungs because she wasn't breathing.  Therefore, drowning would've been ruled out as the cause of death pretty quickly and the coroner would've definitely checked for drugs in her system.

And, yes, we've got no explanation for the way Alex' father spoke to Eddie last year, nor is there any really compelling reason that explains why he's now wanting to come clean to Eddie.

Exactly and if it was just to make Eddie feel better and to exonerate that Eddie being hit at 5 mph was really just that an accident or to "confuses my sins before I go to the great beyond." It still just becomes stupid. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I'm not sure why I keep giving this show a chance when I dislike more of it than I like. Wishful thinking maybe? 

It's called Hate Watching.

Seems the dead girl's family could have told Eddie about the drug cover-up at the time. The flash-back showed that Eddie was at the fire pit when the sister flashed her little packet of drugs.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:25 PM, tinderbox said:

I still like Delilah much more than most of you and hope we never see her young stud boyfriend again.

Agree. I like watching her because of the actor's beauty, but hate her storylines. Was confused at first because I thought the France trip was just her and, secretly, the boyfriend, and that the "visit my father" was a cover story. So she's taking the BF with her to visit her Alzheimer's-addled father?

I'm not sure that the Theo actor is a bad actor, but the character is the most annoying, as is Katherine and Eddie's parenting of him. Sooo deferential to the kid.

I loved the exchange between Gary and Darcy at the end. "You have another boyfriend named Gary?!!" Hope they don't ruin this relationship.

Is Rome saying that he and Regina in his movie are the "couple to root for" supposed to be meta? Because I'm sick of them and not rooting for them at all. I can't believe their communication is so poor. Both think they are grieving alone. Hey, I have a solution!

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Unless I don't remember very well, I think Delilah took her father to France with her. I don't think she took her boy toy.

Yes. And she's staying there because he broke his hip.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size