Type keyword(s) to search

Who is... Alex Trebek's replacement?

ae2
  • Start Topic

On 11/24/2020 at 7:40 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm not sure about ken as host but will give him a chance

Interesting they said a series of guest hosts 'from the jeopardy family'. That seems to rule out a bunch of people who have been discussed in the media.

Yeah, the "family" thing is worrisome because that number is tiny.

18 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Why am I not surprised that Ken would have some tweets that offended someone?  

Oooh, and the interesting part (not) is that someone will be offended by the reaction! Bah. Who cares. I'm certainly no KJ fan but the fact that he twatted a tasteless jokr 6 years ago does absolutely NOTHING to alter my feelings about him. None whatsoever. Social media is the root of all evil and I completely ignore as much of it as I can.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I tried to read ken jennings old offensive tweets and they are really just bad I'll conceived attempts at humor more than racist or offensive.  Some of them I didn't even understand what he meant. 

I just saw the article, I didn't even bother to read it. I thought it was just one tweet.  I didn't say I was offended just that I was not surprised that someone was offended by what he said.   Believe it or not, however, there are millions of people who manage to either stay off social media, or resist saying stupid things that can be misinterpreted.   What this year has taught me however is that I have no right to decide what should offense somebody else...or complain about it.  My mantra is now worry about yourself and account for yourself. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I just saw the article, I didn't even bother to read it. I thought it was just one tweet.  I didn't say I was offended just that I was not surprised that someone was offended by what he said.   Believe it or not, however, there are millions of people who manage to either stay off social media, or resist saying stupid things that can be misinterpreted.   What this year has taught me however is that I have no right to decide what should offense somebody else...or complain about it.  My mantra is now worry about yourself and account for yourself. 

I guess I should clarify that I don't find what he says offensive or bad enough to warrant newspaper articles pointing them out years later, but I'm not surprised someone is offended or that some would take offense. 

But at the same time nothing he said is bad enough that it should keep him from being on jeopardy or guest hosting. Just because some people are offended doesn't necessarily mean people should be banished forever.  No one is being denied a right to their feelings or reactions.  But that alone cannot control the whole decision, at least in this case. 

Ken jennings has been a public figure for 20 years, or close to it.  Yes he could stay off social media but short if that, if you are in the public eye long enough, there are probably going to be a few things you say people are offended by.  

For what it’s worth, I was watching the national dog show today and moderator David Frye made a snarky joke to John O’Hurley that he should start phrasing things in the form of a question. They laughed it off and kept the show moving but I found it an interesting comment.

Edited by Quickbeam
Spelling!
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

For what it’s worth, I was watching the national dog show today and moderator David Frye made a snarky joke to John O’Hurley that he should start phrasing things in the form of a question. They laughed it off and kept the show moving but I found it an interesting comment.

I noticed that as well. Makes you wonder...

One thing I liked about Alex Trebek - he wasn't "into" social media.

There will probably never be another host who'll come close to Alex; however, I hope J! picks someone with equal charm, smarts, and way of being. The latter is the kicker. We all have our favs, our dislikes, etc.

All I ask is that we give the new host a chance. Send them some love! Whoever replaces Alex is going to need it, along with a confidence and high sense of self esteem, to survive the onslaught of comments.

Please, dear God, do NOT let it be Tyra Banks.

• Love 4

I hope the new host is someone who realizes that Jeopardy is not about hir.  It's about the contestants and the questions. Occasional clever remarks from the host are fine; attention-seeking antics are not. IMO, natch.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Driad said:

I hope the new host is someone who realizes that Jeopardy is not about hir.  It's about the contestants and the questions. Occasional clever remarks from the host are fine; attention-seeking antics are not. IMO, natch.

That rules out a LOT of people, thank god.

• Love 2

Apparently Tom Bergeron has categorically ruled out any return to DWTS. I wonder if he'll be amongst the lineup of "auditioning" guest hosts.

I could live with Bergeron. He's low-key, but quick-witted; used to making people comfortable when they're in a state of nerves, and moving things along without being strident; and he doesn't make a show all about himself. He doesn't reproduce our favourite Trebek quirks, but then we wouldn't really want him to.

• Love 12
On 12/4/2020 at 2:42 PM, surreysmum said:

I could live with Bergeron. He's low-key, but quick-witted; used to making people comfortable when they're in a state of nerves, and moving things along without being strident; and he doesn't make a show all about himself. 

Inspired choice! Exactly what I'm hoping for in the next host. Big thumbs up for Tom Bergeron.

• LOL 1

Social media is the root of all evil and I completely ignore as much of it as I can.

I don't disagree with this.  I also think people should not be banished for one stupid thought.  Having said that, I have been reading things about rude comments Ken Jennings has been making for years.  Probably not as offensive as the current outrage, but he is smug and flippant and from my point of view acts like every kid who was stuffed in a locker in high school (and you know that he was) who is suddenly allowed to sit at the cool kids' table.  He's finally cool and he's going to be just as rude and mean to the losers as everyone else sitting there.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

He has a great voice.  I could see him hosting.

He wouldn’t want anyone to see how bald he is without the ubiquitous trucker hat. When he first started on camera appearances ~25 years ago, he was already doing a creative combover. I imagine the top is pretty much gone now. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

He wouldn’t want anyone to see how bald he is without the ubiquitous trucker hat. When he first started on camera appearances ~25 years ago, he was already doing a creative combover. I imagine the top is pretty much gone now. 

He should contract with the people who made Alex's toupee -- it was really good.

15 hours ago, Princt1 said:

Fer sure! Ken did very well, actually. I’m next!

Putting aside my dislike for Jennings, the thing that stood out the most to me was his voice. It's just not right. And it's not that it's not deep enough, it's more than that. It doesn't command respect. It's like one of those voices doing cheesey appliace store ads on the radio. You just tune it out in your head and that's not something you want in an announcer. It was the complete tonal qualities package that just doesn't work. If he was a weather guy on the evening news you wouldn't pay any attention to him.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 3
On 1/11/2021 at 2:57 PM, Bastet said:

My Mike Rowe crush died hard, and I would not care to see him again.  Personal feelings aside, he doesn't really seem like a fit for the show.

Is that the Dirty Jobs man?  What did he do? 

On 1/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, Tabasco Cat said:

Putting aside my dislike for Jennings, the thing that stood out the most to me was his voice. It's just not right. And it's not that it's not deep enough, it's more than that. It doesn't command respect. It's like one of those voices doing cheesey appliace store ads on the radio. You just tune it out in your head and that's not something you want in an announcer. It was the complete tonal qualities package that just doesn't work. If he was a weather guy on the evening news you wouldn't pay any attention to him.

I think you are right. I think he did o.k. and I was surprised, but I think long term for me at least you are correct, the voice and demeanor is all wrong.   His presence doesn't hit the right note. 

I like aaron rodgers but he does not seem at all like the person to host this show. 

On 1/12/2021 at 2:14 PM, Tabasco Cat said:

Yes I agree, exactly it. biggest problem with him.  Dies hot have the real host voice and it's what struck me as well. 

I stated he dors not have the gravitas of Alex when announcing.  Voice just kind of blends Into the background.  

I recently watched an episode of Jeopardy and Ken Jennings is so wrong for this.  I can't believe he is the host.  His voice and demeanor are robotic and absolutely without an ounce of charisma or warmth.  

I love the show and will continue to watch but ugh.  I wish they would find someone else to host.

20 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

I recently watched an episode of Jeopardy and Ken Jennings is so wrong for this.  I can't believe he is the host.  His voice and demeanor are robotic and absolutely without an ounce of charisma or warmth.  

I love the show and will continue to watch but ugh.  I wish they would find someone else to host.

Ken isn't the permanent host. He taped 30 shows (6 weeks) as guest host. There will be more guest hosts. 

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Ken isn't the permanent host. He taped 30 shows (6 weeks) as guest host. There will be more guest hosts. 

The guest hosts they have announced so far - at least those I've heard - are more of the "stunt host" variety, celebrities doing a week's worth of shows, not a tryout for the permanent replacement. Jennings doing 6 weeks of shows feels like a tryout for the permanent position, or even a way to get viewers used to him in the role before they announce him officially.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

The guest hosts they have announced so far - at least those I've heard - are more of the "stunt host" variety, celebrities doing a week's worth of shows, not a tryout for the permanent replacement. Jennings doing 6 weeks of shows feels like a tryout for the permanent position, or even a way to get viewers used to him in the role before they announce him officially.

Right, the celebrity guest hosts are doing a week each for the charity of their choice. 

They first taped 30 episodes with Ken hosting, then some with the executive producer filling in, and then come the celebrity guest hosts.  Who will become the new permanent host is something they want a lot of time to decide.  (If Ken is under consideration for that, I assume he got an on-air audition because, while he has a long history with the show, he's not a professional host.)

• Love 1

Here's a comment about Ken's style: If a contestant is wrong on something that (we think) is simple, Alex would say "No". Ken tends to say it more drawn out and a bit like he's amazed, like he's puzzled that the contestant gave that answer, sort of like "No. Why would you give such a bad answer? How could you not know it?". Sort of "No (smh)"

• Love 1

Ken tends to say it more drawn out and a bit like he's amazed, like he's puzzled that the contestant gave that answer, sort of like "No. Why would you give such a bad answer? How could you not know it?". 

This.  100x this.  It's like he has to make a little comment on every wrong answer, or provide more context for the right answer when I would prefer we just move on to the next clue.  

What I'm finding as I watch Ken is that I thought my love of trivia had nothing to do with Alex Trebek and I would happily continue watching with any host.  I totally forgot to watch one day this week and on another day, I decided to continue watching the movie I was watching rather than pause the movie and go to Jeopardy.

Edited by bankerchick
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

This.  100x this.  It's like he has to make a little comment on every wrong answer, or provide more context for the right answer when I would prefer we just move on to the next clue.  

Alex frequently did the same, although some contestants steamrollered right over him.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, Tabasco Cat said:

A weather guy (person) is bland and easy to ignore.  Ken Jennings is beyond insufferable and so the channel has to be changed.

Now that we've seen him in action, I think Ken Jennings is doing a great job as host. He is deferential to Alex, and isn't trying to be the next Trebek. His opening remarks at the start of his guest stint was pitch perfect, and set the tone for the kind of Jeopardy hosting he would do. 

Not that I think he's a shoo-in to the next full-time host, but what's coming through is his respect for Alex and absolute love of the show. Jennings wouldn't be a bad result (if he still wanted it, that is). 

• Love 5