Type keyword(s) to search

Who is... Alex Trebek's replacement?

ae2
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Well, in theory, they could go with Alex's suggestion of Betty White.  She's not too busy, is she?

While she survived a ton of people that lived a full life (and some that sadly didn't in addition to those that lived more than a complete life), it's really amazing and awesome that Betty is still with us.  In this case, she outlived an 80-year old that was born after she graduated high school.  That in and of itself is outstanding.  With apologies to Mr. Trebek.

While Alex joked about it, to be fair, Ms. White does have hosting experience too.  She won an emmy for that as well!

• Love 4

LeVar Burton would be really good! But it would be kind of funny any time Kunta Kinte comes up on Jeopardy (which J-archive tells me has happened roughly 20 times).

That's actually a comment for a lot of these people - it should be someone who wouldn't often come up on Jeopardy as an answer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, seasons said:

LeVar, Tom, George Stephanopoulous... all good!

Maybe Katie Couric?

she's not as perky as she used to be, which is good. 

Big fat nopity nope nope to Katie Couric.  She’s not a nice person — very rude to people at Virginia Tech after the mass shooting there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/10/2020 at 3:55 PM, catlover79 said:

I like the LeVar Burton idea. Another thought - how about Tom Bergeron? He's free of DWTS, has game show hosting experience and has quite a fan base. I wouldn't mind seeing him host J!

Tom Bergeron was my first thought, and I love the idea of LeVar Burton.

Another idea is Louis Gates, jr., who certainly has the gravitas and warm personality, but it may not be his thing. On the flip side is someone like John O'Hurley, who has a nice voice but doesn't really give off a scholarly vibe to me. I could also see them going with someone with a more news broadcasting background, like Bob Costas.

There's a lot of good choices out there, but my favorite within the Jeopardy family is Brad.

• Love 3

My husband said Rosie Perez is being considered to host. Please no, she is too hard to understand and doesn't have a voice that's easy to listen to.

I think Tom Bergeron would be terrific, he's got personality and a great sense of humor. I think Levar Burton would be good as well. 

Edited by Laurie14
  • Love 2

I'm Team Ken, but there are plenty of the other suggested replacements that would be OK. NOT Steve Harvey, Joe Rogan or Pat Sajak

I am also completely opposed to anyone with an English accent. I work for a London-based company and am more than familiar with them. Even after all that, I still sometimes have problems understanding my colleagues. I imagine on Jeopardy it would be even worse due to the fast pace and varied subject matter. 

• Love 3

When it was announced that Ken would be joining the show and giving some clues this season, I figured he was being groomed to take over as host. But now with a petition to draft LeVar Burton being circulated...hmm, could get interesting! I'd be happy with either of them, but if Steve Harvey got the job, I'd stop watching. Something about him really annoys me. 

• Love 5
On 11/13/2020 at 12:20 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Burton doesn't seem to be working right now, either. He's probably available. I would be happy with that, if I can't have Brad. The Rosie Perez thing MUST be a joke.

Like his Star Trek castmate Jonathan Frames, I think he does more directing than acting.  

Steve Harvey can't seriously be in consideration and if he became the host I'd definitely be out.  He the most absurd name I've seen in this thread (followed closely by Rosie Perez). 

A few years ago, I thought Anderson Cooper was assumed to be the one to inherit the show.  I'm iffy on him, but within the show itself he'd come across a lot like Alex. 

There has to be a short list they're working from. They couldn't have a deal on place with anyone because they didn't know when Alex would pass but they have to have a pretty good idea of who they want to go with. 

• Love 2

If we are just throwing names into the ring, I nominate Gerry Dee.  He's a Canadian comedian/actor who is currently hosting Family Feud Canada - IMO he is far and away better than Steve Harvey. 

4 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

There's a lot to hate about Steve Harvey.

I dislike him on Family Feud, which actually I watch extremely rarely, but I assume his demeanor would be quite a bit different on Jeopardy!  I love my Jeopardy! fix so much I would probably put up with quite a bit before ditching it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

His mugging irritates the heck out of me, but what really annoys me about him is his attitude towards women.

This reminds me too much of another once-loved comedian who is currently, and deservedly so, incarcerated.

• Love 3

John O’Hurley actually has been among the Family Feud hosts, for multiple seasons, since they’ve brought it back & I thought he did a good job with that. I think he could be just as good as Alex here. And if they get him & he isn’t, then they can drop his option after this coming season & get another host—like, hopefully, Tom Bergeron if DWTS doesn’t decide to kick Tyra out on her butt & beg at least Tom to come back next season.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Spacing issue.
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Trey said:

This reminds me too much of another once-loved comedian who is currently, and deservedly so, incarcerated.

(wonders about the "comedian" in this message; wonders about the "deservedly so" in this message) 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, 3 is enough said:

I just don't think anyone with a comedy background would be a good fit.  Jeopardy! is fairly serious as game shows go.  There is simply no time for wisecracking by the host if the boards are to be cleared.  They need someone intelligent who will not fumble the clues.  

I think this show has room for witticisms/witty host.  A comedian could work as long as they don't feel the need to be "on" all the time.  Some comedians can do that. Others can't.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:03 PM, bad things are bad said:

I am also completely opposed to anyone with an English accent. I work for a London-based company and am more than familiar with them. Even after all that, I still sometimes have problems understanding my colleagues.

What about a Scottish accent?  I always thought Craig Ferguson would be a good host.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, Trey said:

I dislike him on Family Feud, which actually I watch extremely rarely, but I assume his demeanor would be quite a bit different on Jeopardy!  I love my Jeopardy! fix so much I would probably put up with quite a bit before ditching it.

I have not seen anything from Steve Harvey that has indicated his on camera personality is anything other than what it is.  He is always on brand.  And that's fine.  It's what makes him successful in much of what he does.  I don't think it has a place on Jeopardy!  Alex Trebek was known as Jeopardy's Alex Trebek.  With a personality like Steve Harvey, it'd be Steve Harvey's Jeopardy.

3 hours ago, Trey said:

I like the idea of guest hosts for a while.

I think it's smart too.  It gives them the opportunity to audition potential new hosts in game time format.  It also will give them a chance to see how the host is behind the scenes with the crew.  And the replacement won't face the pressure of immediately coming after Alex.  It also will satisfy the curiosity of "I wonder how so and so will do" because sometimes they don't do well.

I also wonder if they'd be looking for someone who could go very long term which means they might go younger than some of those discussed today  Tom Bergeron is 65.  Pat Sajak is 74 (not that I'd be in favor of him either).  Levar is 63.  So is Katie Couric. Meredith Viera is 66.

I'd also honestly prefer someone who doesn't already have five jobs like Jimmy Kimmel or Ryan Seacrest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 11/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, Trey said:

I stopped watching the Feud when he came...I'd hate to lose Jeopardy too.  I also said goodbye to Price is Right when Drew came along...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I'm out when Ken Jennings starts. Too smug and smarmy for me.

I have never "connected" to Ken Jennings.  Hopefully I can make it through his episodes knowing that someone else is coming, but I will be gutted if he is the permanent host....I really will.  I am still traumatized by the fact that I (who has PICTURES with David Ruprecht) waited all these years for a Supermarket Sweep reboot only to get she who will not be named. 

There are a few names that have been floated on this board that I could easily see , but I can see several....heck nos!!!   Steve Harvey and John O being two of them.  Levar, Bob, Anderson...I could see that, but Anderson is already working. I like the idea of Tom B, but I also don't want the next person to be  comedian....didn't Alex once say Laura Coates?   Sadly if they are looking for someone else who may have longevity (remembering that nothing is promised to us) they may want to go much younger than anyone that has been mentioned before. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I also wonder if they'd be looking for someone who could go very long term which means they might go younger than some of those discussed today  Tom Bergeron is 65.  Pat Sajak is 74 (not that I'd be in favor of him either).  Levar is 63.  So is Katie Couric. Meredith Viera is 66.

Not that you asked, but I’m tossing in Alex was 44 when he started.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, opus said:

Not that you asked, but I’m tossing in Alex was 44 when he started.

I didn't but I was thinking someone in their late 30s/40s/early 50s would be good.  They'd be old enough to have developed some gravitas but also young enough that they could go decades if they're successful and become their own institution.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think this show has room for witticisms/witty host.  A comedian could work as long as they don't feel the need to be "on" all the time.  Some comedians can do that. Others can't.

I agree. You need someone who is smart and can read the clues smoothly, but I think they need a sense of humor, too. There's often humor in the games, like when they have a theme across the category titles, and often in the clues themselves (that category a few days ago when all the correct responses were nay-nay/na-na, anyone?).

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it's smart too.  It gives them the opportunity to audition potential new hosts in game time format.  It also will give them a chance to see how the host is behind the scenes with the crew.  And the replacement won't face the pressure of immediately coming after Alex.  It also will satisfy the curiosity of "I wonder how so and so will do" because sometimes they don't do well.

It also gives them a chance for feedback from the audience before locking someone in long-term. (And you know they'll get it!)

I like Ken but he always feels a little awkward to me. He just doesn't come across as a smooth "host" type personality. 

That said, the host would have to be really bad for me to give up Jeopardy. I don't watch just for the host.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That said, the host would have to be really bad for me to give up Jeopardy. I don't watch just for the host.

Are other "hosts" billed as hosts?  In Alex's book, he mentioned that he insisted on being called the host, not the star, of J!.  I notice Pat & Vanna are introduced as the Stars of WoF.  Whoever they get, it's gotta be someone as modest as Alex, someone who will be happy being a host and not a star.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm not sure about ken as host but will give him a chance

Interesting they said a series of guest hosts 'from the jeopardy family'. That seems to rule out a bunch of people who have been discussed in the media.

But Jeopardy family could mean anything—clue givers, celebrity contestants, popular champions. It’s not going to be easy to fill those shoes. From what I gathered, the guest hosts will be appearing on more than one week of shows. Maybe a month at a time, so they probably have 4-6 months of shows to get in the can before the season is over. Although the producers could do a couple of weeks of shows in 2-3 days. 

• Love 2

I have nothing against Ken Jennings or other former champs in the Jeopardy! family for interim, but...

I just wish they could find someone new.  A show-biz pro (which is what Alex was; Alex was not hired because he knew trivia), maybe someone in their 30s.  An up-and-comer from broadcasting that is not currently famous.  There must be a lot of people like that out there.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I have nothing against Ken Jennings or other former champs in the Jeopardy! family for interim, but...

I just wish they could find someone new.  A show-biz pro (which is what Alex was; Alex was not hired because he knew trivia), maybe someone in their 30s.  An up-and-comer from broadcasting that is not currently famous.  There must be a lot of people like that out there.

I mentioned the journalist who interviewed Alex earlier in this thread.  It'd be nice to see him get an opportunity to guest host

• Love 1

Just found this thread, flipped through a few videos, and now I'm in that deep grief again... not looking forward to the upcoming CHANGE.

I'm a tax accountant; however, I'm both right and left-brained (often a blessing, sometimes a curse) and topics like feng shui amuse and intrigue my intellect because they make me think. One of the basic principles of feng shui is that "everything is changing, ALL the time." As humans, we tend to resist change. Think of a detour on your way home from work... WTF?!!!... and all we have to do is remember that the road repairs will make our commute better when they're done.

Change is a constant, and our reaction to change is what we can control. As Jack Canfield put it, E + R = O and as a numbers geek, I love equations. The Event/Experience cannot be changed, and if we want to change the Outcome, we can do so by changing our Reaction/Response/Risk. (Feel fortunate I'm leaving this here as is, and not going on ad nauseum... I can talk about this stuff for forever. Just ask my kids. LOL)

So. Alex is gone. Forever. (Thank goodness for syndication, Youtube, etc.) This is HUGE change.

I won't have any say in who the replacement for host of J! is because those decision makers never consult me. They didn't tell me they were going to fire Tom Bergeron at DWTS and replace him with Tyra Banks. Same initials, and HUGE mistake in my opinion. If they do the same thing with J!, and choose to replace Alex with someone undesirable or polarizing, I'll have to dig deep to continue watching.

Personally, I wish they'd choose a somewhat unknown person - a younger version of Betty White would be perfect for me. Someone intelligent, perky, witty, gifted at ad-libbing, easy on the eyes and ears, and who pays tribute to the legacy Alex left behind (esp insisting on being the host, not the star of the show).

Alex is a hard act to follow. JMO

Edited by Bliss
  • Love 5

I have a FB friend who has suggested Mayim Bialik, but she & Parsons have signed for another sitcom, but not as Amy & Sheldon.  (?)  This same FB friend paid attention to Trebek's comments in the past and has been looking closely at Alex Faust, whom AT suggested. I tend to ignore sportscasters, but it might be a good choice.  I still wanna see how Brad Rutter would do.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2