Type keyword(s) to search

Media Ninjas: ANW in the Media

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:
  Hide contents

ANW’s Facebook page accidentally posted who the final two are earlier today. The post was quickly deleted but the damage was done, nearly every comment was a very ticked off viewer! Posting that info below if anyone wants to know. 

Hide contents

It comes down to a Stage 4 race between Drew and Daniel Gil. 

Thanks for the double spoiler field! It helped me prevent spoiling myself last night.

They'll probably take a break while the Olympics are on. With the timing they can probably wiggle the schedule so the first round of the cities are before, and the second round will be after the Olympics. That would be the most natural way to split things up. 

• Love 1

I think I heard that production was on hold a few weeks ago, but I don't see anything with a quick google right now. It's probably a safe assumption nonetheless.

As for if the season is cancelled or not, it's hard to say. I suspect NBC is taking it 1 week at a time, especially now that they have an Olympics sized hole in their schedule and AGT is also on hold. 

If things ease up by May, they might be able to arrange for a shortened season. Or maybe an all-star season in the summer with just a few courses. The big challenge will be seeing what Ninjas feel safe coming out to compete too. Many of them have their own home courses so they can keep up training; but those that train in gyms are probably in a bind now. 

• Love 1

Maybe a shortened season is a possibility. They could simply invite 100 ninjas to Vegas rather than do all those rounds of preamble. If they actually aired every run (ha!) that would stretch out to six episodes or so.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2020 at 7:50 AM, Fukui San said:

Maybe a shortened season is a possibility. They could simply invite 100 ninjas to Vegas rather than do all those rounds of preamble. If they actually aired every run (ha!) that would stretch out to six episodes or so.

Maybe.  I seriously doubt TV production is getting started back up for at least 3 months, but if it's just one Vegas episode... I suppose that allows for like... a July taping for a September airing.  I guess Vegas can't be THAT much hotter in July as opposed to the usual June final taping.

Honestly, I see it far more likely just doing it whenever they can, and airing it Winter.

Or the can have 2020: the rank amateur year.

Take four of the 'easier' challenges (definition: Drew can do them blindfolded) and put them up in a high school stadium in ten states.  

Invite five football players, five cheerleaders, five basketball players (five men, five women) and five baseball and five soft ball players.  

WInner gets bragging rights and maybe a big tacky belt buckle. 

So, if nobody can film anything new for awhile and we begin to run out of content, I vote that they air tournaments from the original version of Sasuke! Get Matt and Akbar to record commentary over old footage. Maybe do segments where current ninjas add insight to the proceedings. They kind of have 33 or so seasons of content. Just saying.

• Love 3
On 4/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, Fukui San said:

So, if nobody can film anything new for awhile and we begin to run out of content, I vote that they air tournaments from the original version of Sasuke! Get Matt and Akbar to record commentary over old footage. Maybe do segments where current ninjas add insight to the proceedings. They kind of have 33 or so seasons of content. Just saying.

They could do it Mystery Science Theater 3000 style.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:42 AM, enoughcats said:

WInner gets bragging rights and maybe a big tacky belt buckle. 

Hey, that was recently the prize on Guy Fieri's Tournament of Champions cooking competition.  (Seriously, he must have gotten it at a WWE tag sale. )  Plus a big black RAM truck.  (Clearly he didn't expect the final four wouldn't have a single y chromosome among them.) 

• Love 1

Saw this on Facebook: guy has been running his hedgehog through courses inspired by ANW. I think he’s done five videos so far. This is #4, which had popped up on my feed.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

Matt Iseman was a contestant on RuPaul's Celebrity Drag Race last Friday! He got all dressed in drag (name: Betty Bordeaux) and performed a comedy roast. It was very fun. It's available on Amazon (season 1 episode 3).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Here's a fun story: guy wants to take up bird-watching, so he sets up a feeder. That gets raided by squirrels. He tries several methods to keep them away from the feeder, but they keep breaking in. And then . . . he builds an ANW-inspired course to challenge the furry bastards, and they delivered great results. Take a look:

• Love 11

I watched that yesterday morning and while howling with laughter, I hoped that my engineer husband would never see it...he's got enough projects going at the moment 😉

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

Any word on ANW airing this summer? I've looked but don't see anything definite so wondered....

They normally film in the spring.  With the lock down, I am sure they didn’t film.   And with the body fluids on the equipment that would have to be sanitized after every run, I’d be surprised if they don’t scrap the season.  

• Love 1
On 7/13/2020 at 11:02 AM, DEL901 said:

They normally film in the spring.  With the lock down, I am sure they didn’t film.   And with the body fluids on the equipment that would have to be sanitized after every run, I’d be surprised if they don’t scrap the season.  

That's my thought, too. The only thing I've read is that the season is on, but will be later than usual. Hoping they can do it and be safe. Otherwise will just miss it til (hopefully) next year.

Emmy nominations were announced today, and ANW didn’t get a Competitive Reality nod. While I’ve been maintaining that it isn’t a reality show, it was the only other nominated series aside from The Amazing Race that I watched. I think last year’s edition was eligible.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, Fukui San said:

Doesn't NBC have a sports station? Air the old Sasuke stuff there. They wouldn't even need Matt & Akbar.

• Love 1

I've never liked the guy [Drew] but I sure didn't expect this.  He and his ego have ruined his life.  I feel the most sorry for the girl he was living with who has probably had his baby by now.  I'm sure everyone associated with ANW is appalled.

I'll bet the parents of the kids attending his gym are horrified and livid.  I certainly would be.

Edited by mlp
add to comment
  • Love 3

Shit, man. Shit.

Given how ANW has the year off, I'm thinking NBC might send a message to all of their stars, letting them know that if they fuck up even a fraction as bad, they're going to be dumped into the deepest hole imaginable.

• Love 1

NBC is probably thanking COVID now, since this news would be breaking during the Vegas finals of the season, and Drew's usually front and centre (especially as a Returning Champion). 

Now, when the season is finally run, I suspect there won't even be a mention of the 2019 winner.

Of course the allegations are still unproven so there is a very slight chance these aren't true. But there's a hell of a lot of smoke from what was listed, and he's not going to get away unscorched. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Taeolas said:

NBC is probably thanking COVID now, since this news would be breaking during the Vegas finals of the season, and Drew's usually front and centre (especially as a Returning Champion). 

Now, when the season is finally run, I suspect there won't even be a mention of the 2019 winner.

Of course the allegations are still unproven so there is a very slight chance these aren't true. But there's a hell of a lot of smoke from what was listed, and he's not going to get away unscorched. 

The ANW reddit linked to the actual criminal complaint filed in court...it's bad. It does not look good for Drew.

I agree, they are probably frantically editing him out and having Matt and Akbar re-record every mention of last year with only "we had a winner" and never once using his name. 

• Love 2

The mother of the minor girl should have went to the police immediately in 2015 when she found out that Drew Dreschel had an inappropriate encounter with her daughter.

And why did the girl wait until June, 2019 to go to the police?  Did Drew break off the relationship?  The timing is suspicious in that Drew won the $1 million dollar prize last year.

Edited by Necromancer
word misspelled
  • Love 1

I agree; the timing of the case seems very suspicious, in Drew's favour. But that's probably one of the few things.

It's going to be a tough case and probably best to avoid trying it in the Court of Public Opinion for now and let the case wind to its conclusion one way or another. 

• Love 1

“Drew? It’s ANW. How are you? Yeah, we know. Listen . . . you were planning on retiring after you won last year, right? No, we’re on your side, but maybe you could take a year off? We mean 2020 plus one. Get things sorted, come back fresh. Maybe do The Challenge. Wait, no, that is a silly show. What? No, we won’t be riding Daniel’s jock while you’re gone. Just . . . get things cleared up, then we’ll see you again. What? Of course Akbar sees you. Akbar sees everybody.”

• Love 1

upcoming season of the show, which was filmed July 13-23 in St. Louis, MO.

Going to be interesting to see how corporate greed handles the loss of many hours of programming, or will they splice the heck out of what they have?

When the victim filed the police report in June 2019, last year's finals, which were also in June 2019, might not even have occurred yet.  And even if the report was filed after finals, the victim might not have heard Drew won by the time she went to the police.  I'm not sure how locked down the results are, but I think most of America found out in September when the finals aired.  People in the ninja network aren't the average viewer, but do the secrets travel or are they kept under wraps well?

Personally, I don't find the timing suspicious at all, whether Drew hadn't won yet when she filed the report, or she just found he won.  Also, if Drew was the newly-minted winner of $1M less taxes and someone is after money, it's a gamble to go through all of this like his assets aren't going to be depleted on defense lawyers anyway.  And they will be - he's not going to risk staying out of prison with a budget lawyer or decide not to spend money now so he can save it for post-parole (if he does go to prison).

Regarding why there was quite some time between the abuse and the police report, the various news articles have a statement in passing about how the mother did not originally go to the police because the daughter threatened to harm herself.  In reality, experiencing it, that kind of emotional turmoil is not in passing.  I'm sure it was a lot more dynamic and involved.  It seems obvious to outsiders to go to the police and go immediately - and some people do - but not everyone does, and they have their reasons for it.  Some people feel like it's just going to make everything worse or they'll be blamed, and that's the last thing they can handle.  Sometimes, with the distance of time, they are in a different headspace where they can take that step.  And even though the mother was the adult with the responsibility of advocating for her daughter, especially when her daughter couldn't do that for herself, going to the police might not feel like an option if your child is not in a good place mentally and actively doesn't want to tell the police anything.

Also, many people who have been abused don't recognize how bad the abuse was until they're older.  This is true with full-blown adults, and it's certainly true of younger people who have been groomed and abused.  So I don't think it's at all odd that a teenager who is 18 and more removed from the abuse starts to really understand for herself what happened to her at 15+, and now wants to do something about it.

One more thing about the timing - whether it's seen as suspicious or not, the timing of the report really seems to have no bearing on the evidence the prosecution gathered and cited in the criminal complaint.  The timing of their interaction and evidence is what matters.  There's no concept of whether the content Drew had in his possession and the messages between them were okay, depending on whether they were in a consensual relationship.  By law, she's too young, period.  Does it really make a difference if she filed a police report well before Drew won ANW?  Does it change what the evidence is illustrating?  Maybe to some, it changes the perception of where the victim and her family are coming from, but that doesn't change the evidence.

(In case you can't tell, I feel very strongly about the nuances of sex crimes.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

I am disgusted. They found pictures of her on his phone, don’t know if there were others but it wouldn’t surprise me if someone else comes forward. I hope not but rarely is there just one victim. I feel sorry for the victim and for April, his long time girlfriend. Good luck to the parents having to explain Drew’s absence in future seasons to their young kids. ANW is extremely fortunate they aren’t in the middle of the season where they’ve heavily promoted him. Might be time to go pay Isaac another appearance fee. 

• Love 3

And also, for anyone questioning timing: this is not the woman suing Drew, trying to get money out of him. This is a federal criminal proceeding, independent of any prize money he was awarded. Speculating, but probably when he won and seeing adulation put upon him, it brought back the nature of what truly happened to that girl. Very sad and, if convicted, he’ll go away for a long time. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Going to be interesting to see how corporate greed handles the loss of many hours of programming, or will they splice the heck out of what they have?

Also, repeats are constantly airing. No way they can keep doing that. 

Other ninjas have started speaking out about it on Instagram ...hope this is the right thread to share this - if this should go somewhere else let me know. (I think there's a limit on the number of links I can embed, so putting this over a couple posts.) And if you scroll through the likes/comments on the posts you'll see others (like Najee, Flip, Zhanique, Issac Caldiero) showing their support:

Dave Cavanagh: 

Geoff Britten: 

Joe Morovsky: 

• Love 1