Type keyword(s) to search

Media Ninjas: ANW in the Media

• Start Topic

This seems so strange since just last Sunday NBC reran the "America vs. the World" special, of which Drew was a big part.  I recorded it and watched it today not knowing what had happened with Drew. 

As to editing Drew out, it shouldn't be that hard.  A year or two ago, Top Chef edited judge John Besh out of several episodes of the then current season when he was accused of sexual harassment by several female employees in his restaurants.   It made for some confusing viewing moments (as in "Wait, did I miss something?") but in general it worked out OK.  I'm not sure what kind of competition was held in St Louis, but if it's similar to a normal ANW tournament, they should be able to edit out Drew's runs.  If it's any kind of a team competition where there are multiple shots of Drew among his team members that's obviously more difficult.  If Drew won, I can't imagine they'd air this season at all. 

• Love 3

I didn't even see it - it didn't make a big splash in the overall media.  I only learned about it because I stumbled upon the rerun tonight and decided to check whether there will be a 2020 season after all...    While I strongly believe in 'innocent until proven guilty', what has been posted thus far looks really bad.   While I don't see any media personalities is role models, I know that many people, especially kids, do, and this must be incredibly disappointing to them... just goes to show that someone's abilities or achievements, be it in sports or in anything else, do not necessarily correlate with their character. 

• Love 2
On 8/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

This seems so strange since just last Sunday NBC reran the "America vs. the World" special, of which Drew was a big part.  I recorded it and watched it today not knowing what had happened with Drew. 

As to editing Drew out, it shouldn't be that hard.  A year or two ago, Top Chef edited judge John Besh out of several episodes of the then current season when he was accused of sexual harassment by several female employees in his restaurants.   It made for some confusing viewing moments (as in "Wait, did I miss something?") but in general it worked out OK.  I'm not sure what kind of competition was held in St Louis, but if it's similar to a normal ANW tournament, they should be able to edit out Drew's runs.  If it's any kind of a team competition where there are multiple shots of Drew among his team members that's obviously more difficult.  If Drew won, I can't imagine they'd air this season at all. 

I think they could edit out Drew from the show if it’s individual competitions, even if he won. The tricky part would be the congratulatory scenes at the end, which maybe they could reshoot? Might be easier to do since there would be no audience I’d guess. If it were a team competition, I think they’d have to dump his whole team.

Not sure where best to post this, but Season 12 Premier and season details have been released

NBC’s competition series will be back for Season 12 on Monday, Sept. 7 at 8/7c, TVLine has learned. The season will kick off with a two-hour premiere.

The upcoming episodes will feature an abridged format with multiple rounds: qualifiers (which include a six-obstacle course), semifinals (a 10-obstacle course) and finals (a 10-obstacle course, plus a playoff bracket where the top eight competitors will race head-to-head on the Power Tower). The top 50 athletes will bring along two people from their communities to compete with them, totaling 150 players competing for a $100,000 prize.

Drew's appearances are edited out of the episodes, so I guess technically there are 149 players (or 147) competing for the final prize.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Taeolas said:

The top 50 athletes will bring along two people from their communities to compete with them, totaling 150 players competing for a $100,000 prize.

Drew's appearances are edited out of the episodes, so I guess technically there are 149 players (or 147) competing for the final prize.

I was wondering about that...if Drew is out, does that mean the people he brought in would also get edited out? I assume the 'star' ninja would be featured in any backstory and sideline cheering for "their" contestants (at the very least, it'd still be obvious if their runs are shown without mentioning who brought them). (And what does "compete with them" mean...is it a team thing or are they all still individually competing against each other? Either way, sucks for his competitors...hope they would get offered a second chance if they get erased from the broadcast...especially if they did well.) 

To be fair, ANW is a show that leans heavily on the "While we were away..." mechanic. So any awkward contestants, unless they happen to make it all the way to the end, can be shoved into the post-commercial clip show segment and they move on from there. 

• Love 5

I haven't gotten any notifications from this thread since I've forgotten to follow it - just came to see if there was any news about the new season and WOW.

It's no secret that I never liked Drew and have thought that he's kind of a POS ever since his petty feud from years back with [I'mForgettingHisName]. I wasn't expecting anything like this, though. I do agree with @Hellga - I absolutely believe in 'innocent until proven guilty', but the charges seem pretty aggravating. It's not like it's some flimsy social media rumor - which can ruin lives regardless of their authenticity - or something. Judging by the reportage, he knew perfectly well she was under the age of consent and still continued. It really ticks me off that some people have everything - good looks, great health, loving spouse, newborn child, fame and money - and they choose to ruin it all with awful and stupid shit like that. 

I'm not going to lie - I'm happy we likely won't see him again. 🤷‍♀️

But then also: YAY, new season! I'll take 8 episodes any day! 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 3
On 8/30/2020 at 4:50 AM, Rosenrot said:

I haven't gotten any notifications from this thread since I've forgotten to follow it - just came to see if there was any news about the new season and WOW.

It's no secret that I never liked Drew and have thought that he's kind of a POS ever since his petty feud from years back with [I'mForgettingHisName]. I wasn't expecting anything like this, though. I do agree with @Hellga - I absolutely believe in 'innocent until proven guilty', but the charges seem pretty aggravating. It's not like it's some flimsy social media rumor - which can ruin lives regardless of their authenticity - or something. Judging by the reportage, he knew perfectly well she was under the age of consent and still continued. It really ticks me off that some people have everything - good looks, great health, loving spouse, newborn child, fame and money - and they choose to ruin it all with awful and stupid shit like that. 

I'm not going to lie - I'm happy we likely won't see him again. 🤷‍♀️

But then also: YAY, new season! I'll take 8 episodes any day! 

I also went to this forum just to see when the new season starts.  But I didn't expect this news.  Since I didn't watch from the first season, I didn't know about any feud.  I thought Drew was o.k.  He was arrogant but I also saw him helping newbies.  The evidence does not look good for him.  I feel sorry for the victim, his wife, and family.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:50 AM, Rosenrot said:

It's no secret that I never liked Drew and have thought that he's kind of a POS

He was in the middle of the pack of ninjas who always rubbed me wrong.

Isaac Caldiero always came of as a massive, graceless, arrogant jerk to me.

The entire "Wolfpack" group came off as tools, although eventually Meagan Martin came out of that and seemed a lot more gracious than the rest of them.  

Flip Rodriguez for years came off as a whole hardware store of tools all by himself, but seemed to eventually be forced to grow up a bit and show some humility.  In addition to the pretentiousness of the mask stuff, when he did that, he was part of that whole "go faster no matter what" thing that annoyed the crap out of me.   

I can't say I paid any special attention to Drechsel.  He seemed to fall into the camp of being a bit full of himself, but nowhere near the top of that list.  But being a sex offender is certainly several levels up from anything I had any reason to guess. 

Then again, like MANY of these folks, he makes his actual day to day money in part off children.  The more successful Ninjas open ANW themed gyms, and just as a numbers game more of the people showing up are likely kids there for an experience, than actual adults trying to train up for the show.

And how many times have we as a society gotten that memo in recent years about Coaches and kids?  How many?  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Flip Rodriguez for years came off as a whole hardware store of tools all by himself, but seemed to eventually be forced to grow up a bit and show some humility.  In addition to the pretentiousness of the mask stuff, when he did that, he was part of that whole "go faster no matter what" thing that annoyed the crap out of me.   

Speaking of Flip, considering the Pandemic, I wonder if he'll put the mask back on for this season? I know in many ways he's grown past the mask, but with current conditions, having a celebrity (and Ninjas like Flip are celebrities now) encouraging mask use would certainly be a strong message. 

8 hours ago, Kromm said:

Flip Rodriguez for years came off as a whole hardware store of tools all by himself, but seemed to eventually be forced to grow up a bit and show some humility.  In addition to the pretentiousness of the mask stuff, 

I am not sure if you are aware, but Flip wore a mask because he was struggling with PTSD as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. Hate on him for his go fast attitude, but the mask was part of his coping with a debilitating mental health issue. 

• Love 8
On 9/3/2020 at 6:19 AM, AdorkableWitch said:

I am not sure if you are aware, but Flip wore a mask because he was struggling with PTSD as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. Hate on him for his go fast attitude, but the mask was part of his coping with a debilitating mental health issue.

I can't imagine what Flip must be going through during this whole Drew situation. 😕

I completely missed all of this - the news about Drew, that there was a new season, everything. WHOA. I had just started to watch the new episode On Demand, when I saw the comment in the main thread about something going on with Drew. I looked him up, am so disgusted. 

I admit, I was a fan of Drew, and was super happy when he won - and I hate that now. Not that there was anything on the show that would indicate anything like this, but still. I want to enjoy the new season, but it all seems tainted now, and not because anyone else is at fault. 

It's great that they managed to pull a season together, but it's just icky thinking that he was there, and they're having to edit him out. 

That poor girl and his poor wife. The evidence seems pretty straightforward and damning. Hopefully there aren't other cases as well, and it's great that the Ninja gyms are taking some actions to make sure nothing like this happens.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

I completely missed all of this - the news about Drew, that there was a new season, everything. WHOA. I had just started to watch the new episode On Demand, when I saw the comment in the main thread about something going on with Drew. I looked him up, am so disgusted. 

I admit, I was a fan of Drew, and was super happy when he won - and I hate that now. Not that there was anything on the show that would indicate anything like this, but still. I want to enjoy the new season, but it all seems tainted now, and not because anyone else is at fault. 

It's great that they managed to pull a season together, but it's just icky thinking that he was there, and they're having to edit him out. 

That poor girl and his poor wife. The evidence seems pretty straightforward and damning. Hopefully there aren't other cases as well, and it's great that the Ninja gyms are taking some actions to make sure nothing like this happens.

April isn't his wife, just his girlfriend - which sucks even more because I hope she has some access to his winnings so she can raise their daughter while he rots in prison. (Edit: maybe it's a son, I've forgotten)

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2020 at 12:08 AM, Lantern7 said:

Apologies for the NHL Finals spoiler, but Dallas defeated Tampa Bay to force a Game 6 on Monday night, which will air on NBC. In other words, we’ll have to wait a week for our ANW fix.

According to my TV guide, the Canadian channel (CTV2 in our market) that usually mirrors the NBC broadcast for date and time is still scheduling Qualifiers 4 for this evening.

I don't really trust this'll be the case - there will probably be some last-minute substitution - but I thought I'd give the heads-up in case any of my fellow-Canadians felt like checking. Also, if they really do air it, I promise not to post any spoilers. 🙂

• Love 1

Damn, that's rough, especially for someone who depends on her body as much as she does. I hope she recovers fully. Hopefully the COVID slowdown will give her a chance to recover before having to jump back into the stuntwork. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

injured

A hundred percent chance that I’ll be 100 percent,” said Graff, who has used the time off to learn sign language and work toward a certification in nutrition. “

No way, no how.  As much pleasure as she's given us watching her, nobody guarantees 100%.  She looks great, but her body has gotten more mature and she's approaching 40. (Sorry, but that happens to the best and worst of us).

As much as many of us want her to win, we remain her fans regardless.

• Love 2

To be fair, Jessie had her surgery a while ago and has been recovering extremely well. She's been documenting the whole thing on her Instagram so I was surprised that this was posted here as recent news. If she is confident she'll get back to normal, I believe her. She's always been very smart about her own body.

The 'recent news' is probably the real reason why she needed the surgery in the first place. For her fans, they knew she had it, and could probably guess why she needed it. But now that the eps have aired, she can officially say what caused the injury and speak more freely about it. 

• Love 1

Pretty soon, if she does get back to close to 109%, Jessie is going to have to choose between her careers, the day job is also hard on the body, and more injuries could cause an early retirement.   

There is going to be an "American Ninja Warrior's Women's Championship on Mother's Day this year!  

https://www.americanninjawarriornation.com/2021/4/14/22383900/american-ninja-warrior-womens-special-competition-2021-air-sunday-may-9

Spoiler

Sadly, though, this will be the only time we will see Jessie Graff this season, as the article says she is not "able to compete during Season 13."  Get well soon, Jessie!

Edited by SophiaD

Here’s a cool interview with the host Matt Iseman, He talks about the future of ANW, filming in the pandemic, how he got hooked up with show... pretty interesting, thought u would enjoy!

15 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Which was correct when I linked it back in March. Then it changed.

I wasn’t trying to be snotty. “Actually” was a bit of a loaded word. I’m sorry about that.

No news about ninjas doing really bad things. Good sign for S13!

10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

DVR is showing ANW women's competition on Sunday, May 8. Presumably filmed after last year's finale.

It is showing up for me as season 13, episode 13, so that makes sense. 

• Useful 1