Type keyword(s) to search

2020 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp

ByTor
  • Start Topic

I really don't understand the Marissa decision. They've cut amazing dancers even recently because they "looked like girls not women" - including Briana, Madeline Molloy and Maddie Massingill! Unless they wanted to tee up some drama for next season, because she is not the kind of person they want representing the Organisation...?

• Love 3

I am a big VK fan so this could be an unpopular opinion. She is 1000% better and more palatable personality wise that Marissa. Marissa comes off super immature with those tiktoks and I cringe when I see her. Even her dancing wasn’t good (from my untrained eye). VK has improved  a lot from season one but even then she could still dance. Maybe Marissa should stick with theatre. 

man that was harsh. 

• Love 7

Eh I don't mind Marissa yet. Yes, she's a little girl still but maybe she will mature. 

Still curious since I am catching up...

We know Hannah's edit will be made to seem like she somehow forgot to dance, right?  And we know Hannah's real side regarding her speaking out against TBTB. I do wonder if she spoke out about more than just COVID/bubble concerns though. She's close with Bridget and Jalyn and they've never been fans of the "cut for ratings" scenarios. I remember the pain on Bridget's face last year at training camp as she watched girls getting cut. So, when Jalyn and Hannah don't make show group this year - perhaps Hannah was also particularly outspoken against that as well? Maybe that's the moment that sealed her fate? Also why was Hannah low on the leaderboard last year? Was it looks related?

(Cassie's statement said girls were cut for looks, dance, and attitude from past years).

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lona said:

I really wanna give Marissa a chance. Really do. But between her and Victoria .... I'm just gonna repeat something I said earlier that's becoming all too clear.

DCC is losing the best women and keeping the worst girls.

Very nicely said!!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, kalibean said:

It’s crass, immature and embarrassing. 

And definitely not world class.   In fact no class at all.   Being 18 doesn't give you a pass either.  If you are old enough to be a DCC you should have the sense not to do things that could potentially embarrass the organization or its name.

• Love 20

I dont necessarily think that Marissas tiktoks are that bad (the ones I have seen anyway!). Cringey yes, but that seems to be the trend with young people these days.  It's just doesn't scream "smooth, sensible, mature DCC" to me .... But they cut the mature sensible DCCs like Brennan so maybe this is the angle they are going for now.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

And definitely not world class.   In fact no class at all.   Being 18 doesn't give you a pass either.  If you are old enough to be a DCC you should have the sense not to do things that could potentially embarrass the organization or its name.

She's very on trend for Tiktok though and its the fastest growing platform out there. Perhaps DCC is recruiting the younger ones to stay relevant. Her tiktoks are what all the influencers are doing and might actually help DCC capture that younger audience they need? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 11/17/2020 at 6:55 PM, MeeMee2 said:

Finally! Someone who had their redbull drink that day! I really like her look too. Makes me wonder what went wrong with her in TC. I really hope she's not the " I don't pick up choreography fast" girl. 

I'm guessing it's Kelly's body type. She looks to me to be a little bottom heavy compared to the ideal DCC figure. More specifically, it's the square longer torso and shorter legs combo. A pretty girl and good dancer, but it takes a certain body type to rock the uniform.

19 hours ago, ExtremeFajitas said:

Yikes. I wanted to give Marissa a chance before writing her off, but between this and that TikTok video, it’s a hard no for me. I CANNOT believe she made the team over Brennan and Hannah. WTAF. 

Marissa probably made the team because she's fresh and cute and, oh that face! She's darling. The TikTok videos that I saw are not scandalous, they're just a little dorky. Then again, I'm a little dorky. The "mustard under my bed" song gave me a chuckle.

Edited by Grandma Moses
clarity
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

#unpopular opinion. I quite liked Marissa's dance video. She's powerful and catches your attention. Not the most graceful and not got the best technique out there. But dancewise, plenty of potential for the DCC style. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

We already figured out that Kelli’s definition of world class slightly differs from most people. May I suggest a whole new class/league of their own?  Star Class doesn’t do ‘justice’ I think...

Cowboy Class maybe? Or would that be too offensive to real working cowboys and western lovers? Yeah, the more I think about it, the better I like the “we are a cowboy class dance team”...

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Stfarris said:

So, I live in KY. This pic with the title are at the bottom of the web page I am on.  

20201118_203436.jpg

I've seen the "Worst Colleges in America" ad (click bait) before. They tend to choose the big college in your area as being the "arguably the worst". I live in Maryland and those say that Univ. of Maryland is arguably the worst. Have not seen the photo of Rachel used though before. Think they would choose a photo from UK instead of Clemson.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

She's very on trend for Tiktok though and its the fastest growing platform out there. Perhaps DCC is recruiting the younger ones to stay relevant. Her tiktoks are what all the influencers are doing and might actually help DCC capture that younger audience they need? 

You wrote exactly what I was just thinking, DCC is trying to remain relevant as their better, more mature dancers age & by age I mean late 20's...

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, TB12 said:

You wrote exactly what I was just thinking, DCC is trying to remain relevant as their better, more mature dancers age & by age I mean late 20's...

That's a good point...but I would think they would still want different content in the posts.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, GaveIn said:

That's a good point...but I would think they would still want different content in the posts.

Oh I don't agree with her content at all. I think it shows her age. It's one thing for DCC to want to remain relevant but this is how you do it? I give up trying to follow their logic. It seems situational based on what TPTB want at that moment. Some can be DCC "chubby" & it's overlooked. Some can have cringeworthy content all over social media and it's overlooked. I give up. DCC hasn't been "world class"in a long time... 

• Love 15
48 minutes ago, GaveIn said:

As an older woman myself I agree - but if you spend time on TikTok, Marissa is doing exactly what they do. And hers are tame comparatively. Have you seen Kathryn Dunn tiktok? And she's 30 -lol!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

As an older woman myself I agree - but if you spend time on TikTok, Marissa is doing exactly what they do. And hers are tame comparatively. Have you seen Kathryn Dunn tiktok? And she's 30 -lol!

I totally agree.  I guess what I mean is that I can't compare her to everyone else, because she is a DCC now, the best of the best, world-class, blah blah blah 😆  But seriously, the whole 'often imitated, never equaled', she signed up to be held to a higher standard.  I know that isn't necessarily fair, but it's how it is.   And KD...I haven't seen her on tiktok, but instagram alone has me embarrassed for her quite often lol 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Lol. I don’t follow KD on TikTok but she will repost on Instagram sometimes. She’s insanely over the top, but she’s also built a brand around her “extraness.” The Big Brother peeps are almost as intense as Bachelor Nation, so she’s got the influencer gig on lock. 

I’ve got a soft spot for that one - I think she has a really good heart and a loyal friend (that baby shower she hosted for Sydney was so cute!). She’s also the type of person I could hang out with a few times a year and that’s plenty. Lol. But that’s also 40-something me talking, and I can see 20-something me enjoying the hell out of uptown Dallas and vacations with her. 

She also isn’t a DCC, which she acknowledged during her TikTok/Instagram WAP dance party in Tulum. Sigh for vacations in a pandemic, bless her heart. 

Marisa is a rookie DCC, and I don’t get why she isn’t being told to grow up and act like one.  I think even VK would have gotten a stern lecture from Kelli AND her mom.

• Love 15

I think some people are taking TikTok wayyyy too seriously. Marissa isn't doing anything that my little cousin isn't doing with her friends in college right now on TikTok. Ridiculous dances, quoting songs/movies, recording friends doing dumb stuff, etc.

We're not the demographic these videos are made for so yea they're pretty cringy to us. And just like I look back at my old vines and ask myself 'why I ever thought that was funny' I'm sure this generation will do the same with their videos someday.

Saying she is an embarrassment to the team because of TikTok is so overdramatic. The team would much rather her do silly little skits then party at 21+ clubs. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, almostxangel said:

I think some people are taking TikTok wayyyy too seriously. Marissa isn't doing anything that my little cousin isn't doing with her friends in college right now on TikTok. Ridiculous dances, quoting songs/movies, recording friends doing dumb stuff, etc.

We're not the demographic these videos are made for so yea they're pretty cringy to us. And just like I look back at my old vines and ask myself 'why I ever thought that was funny' I'm sure this generation will do the same with their videos someday.

Saying she is an embarrassment to the team because of TikTok is so overdramatic. The team would much rather her do silly little skits then party at 21+ clubs. 

I completely agree with you.

There are 2 things:

1. Marissa and Tiktok
  2. Marissa's dance presentation and her look

I have nothing to say about Marissa and what she does on TikTok. It's all part of TikTok.

Marissa's behaviour on TCC, her dance ability and her look is definitely a whole different ballgame. How can you sent Marissa on an appearance with Amanda, Kat, Savannah and Rachel W?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Pau84 said:

I completely agree with you.

There are 2 things:

1. Marissa and Tiktok
  2. Marissa's dance presentation and her look

I have nothing to say about Marissa and what she does on TikTok. It's all part of TikTok.

Marissa's behaviour on TCC, her dance ability and her look is definitely a whole different ballgame. How can you sent Marissa on an appearance with Amanda, Kat, Savannah and Rachel W?

Very good point. Agree with #2. It's definitely not what we are used to.

I see everyone's side on this.  Kelli has definitely drilled in our heads the world class - act like a lady routine. Remember when she gave that Jackie Onassis book to Megan F.? All the manners training and interview training - and how to dress appropriately training...Of course a lot of that was just for the TV show I think. I absolutely understand that angle and Marissa doesn't fit the bill by that standard.

But I just really think that standards are changing (obviously by the looks of this team!!). I think they are trying to appeal to the younger demographic - and the only way to do that these days is to recruit young, fresh and social media savvy girls. 

I mean how many times have we said that these DCC girls have been too glamorized with the heavy makeup and the poofy hair? Even on this forum we've said how great it is when they are more genuine and natural -- less manufactured - more personality.  

I guess I just see all sides to the coin as its really still in the air -- who knows which side it will fall on.

I will say - if Hannah and Brennan were cut to make room for kids like Marissa - well that is hard for me to handle. But maybe my view isn't what is important to DCC anymore. I'm in the over the hill fanbase. LOL. 

• Love 17

Social media savvy being the key here, IMO.  Rachel W is good with this, tho of course is several years older. She plays to a specific fan base and is positioning herself well for a media friendly future.  

There are ways to do it well, and that’s just not where Marissa is going. She can quickly fix it and spin things into goofy and endearing vs. what she’s doing now. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, almostxangel said:

Lest we forget that it's not just about her cringey/silly tiktoks.... it's about the ones where she's chewing tobacco and admitting to drinking underage

• Love 15
On 11/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, Jesiklyn said:

Some potential here. There are certainly moments when she looks almost dcc, just needing some more omph, so would rate her reasonably high. Very long legs which they will love for the kicks.

Jada - Yes! Legs for days, and also she has a soft, elegant beauty about her. I agree she needs more punch in her dancing. If she got, say, Jenna's pop, she'd be unstoppable. So much potential. Maybe even a 50 yard line girl. Remember Mia? Her dancing at prelims was "average," according to Kelli, and Mia became point and a powerful one at that.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Cure4Anxiety said:

Lest we forget that it's not just about her cringey/silly tiktoks.... it's about the ones where she's chewing tobacco and admitting to drinking underage

Yes and like someone stated it seems like she's using DCC to get more social media famous. I've viewed her tik toks and the trends she does for tik tok just seem forced compared to others on the app. Not saying that's a reason to not be a DCC but if they're hold to a higher standard from what we've witnessed on the show then that's how I'm seeing it. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kitkatkitty said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHyE22Vnd9s/

McKenzie looks younger on video than I think she does in pictures, although I still don't think she looks 23. Hopefully the makeover will help because to my untrained eye she looks like has better technique than a lot of the other girls! 

I was going to say the only thing I could do with out is the playing to the camera, but I forget that they would probably do the same thing in person, making eye contact with judges.  After thinking Marissa had to many facials, McKenzie had a nice pleasant mix, but not too much.  I always think of the unfortunate Lily example of a bad still shot now      

• Love 1

I'm a little late to the Marissa TikTok debate, but I think Kelli sees Marissa as someone she can mold and shape into a long-term DCC.  She is going to be Kelli's 2020 project, and the TikTok videos are part of what makes her a project.  

I think the emergence of TikTok is a notable shift in the evolution of social media, so the whole thing is bigger than just DCC.  Twitter and Facebook are basically just glorified message boards where you can shout your opinions to the world.  Instagram is to showcase your sex appeal or (lack of) Photoshop skills.  TikTok is used to get an immediate and significant reaction.  It doesn't even have to be a positive reaction.  It just has to be flammable so it can spread across the internet.  One would think that Kelli would be able to weed the seemingly less desirable stuff out, but does she want to? She believes the fame that MRS or Katherine Dunn have achieved has provided broader exposure for the DCC, and I agree with her.  Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is certainly up for debate, but I don't think there is any doubt that more teenaged girls with dreams of becoming a celebrity are going to take note of the fact that MRS was a DCC prior to winning DWTS.  It's why MTT exists in the first place.  The potential DCCs of 2024 are almost certainly going to be on their phones watching TikToks at some point today.  Kelli must believe that the amount of good cheerleaders they attract will make up for the ones who are just out for exposure. 

As far as the class of the organization is concerned, it's just lip service, which puts it on par with nearly every single large organization in existence.  The Cowboys are one of the premier organizations in the NFL, yet Jerry Jones isn't exactly a candidate for sainthood.  Despite their warts, Kelli isn't lying when she says the DCC are the premier cheerleading squad in sports.  Granted, the bar isn't exactly set very high, but still.  Let's face it, DCC is primarily selling sex appeal to fans.  The dancing is important, ambassadorship is important, but at the end of the day, it's still about how you look in the uniform on that HD video board they can't go 5 seconds without talking about.  I don't intend that as a criticism or commentary, it's just the way it is.  No matter how many standards they set, the biggest sin is always going to be gaining 5 pounds.  Comparatively, an immature, moronic, ridiculous, yet inoffensive TikTok video isn't even a blip on the radar in this industry.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
On 11/14/2020 at 8:24 AM, aeroluv327 said:

And Christina was ranked SO low!  She was smart to retire after that year, she could have easily been a veteran cut.

I still can't get over how high Ashley and Julia ranked and didn't make the team.  And Ashley was such an early cut.  

My mind is just blank ~ who is the vet to the right of Rachel W (in the top right corner)

2 minutes ago, LynneH said:

I definitely prefer these shorts 

LOL that's how I knew it was old, the longer shorts.

1 hour ago, vivianspoetry said:

I don't think there is any doubt that more teenaged girls with dreams of becoming a celebrity are going to take note of the fact that MRS was a DCC prior to winning DWTS.  It's why MTT exists in the first place. 

I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying MTT exists because MRS won DWTS?  Because it was on before she was even on The Bachelor.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, ByTor said:

LOL that's how I knew it was old, the longer shorts.

I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying MTT exists because MRS won DWTS?  Because it was on before she was even on The Bachelor.

No, I meant to convey that MTT exists to gain a wider level of exposure for DCC, and MRS winning DWTS also helped the DCC get that type of exposure. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, vivianspoetry said:

MRS winning DWTS also helped the DCC get that type of exposure. 

It helps get MTT discussed in articles/podcasts/interviews that MRS does - she is there to discuss MTT, but can also talk the Bachelor/Bachelorette and DWTS.  Unfortunately, MTT gets about 5 minutes or a small paragraph at the end of the article.

• Love 3