Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Shining Knight

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

While Pat uncovers new information about the ISA’s plan, Courtney’s life gets turned upside down when someone from her past arrives in Blue Valley.

Original airdate: July 27, 2020

• Love 1
(edited)

Well played.  I was almost thinking maybe Sam wasn’t going to turn out to be such a jerk, and then he asked for Courtney’s locket.   Good for Pat for punching him.  Poor Courtney.  😢

And poor Justin....he’s so lost.  I had tears in my eyes in most of his scenes. 

Brainwave is a complete and utter psychopath.  “I killed my wife and son for your cause.”  He just says it so calmly.  And he gets so excited about the idea that he might have absorbed his son’s powers.  Ugh.  I guess that puts an end to hope that Henry Jr might still be alive somewhere though.   I was a bit surprised at Jordan’s initial hesitation about killing Courtney, but his decision at the end was no surprise at all.  

Mike has got to find out the secret before the end of the season; they can’t keep going on with him like this.  I cringed when Pat yelled at him.   Unless they really do kill him off.  They made a point to have Jordan add him to Brainwave’s kill list, so.....😬.   Watch out Mike!

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 7
(edited)
9 minutes ago, steelyis said:

The only reason Sam Kurtis didn't win the World's Worst Dad contest is because Brainwave exists.

Truth.  😂

Well, Dragon King is up there too.  But Sam wins Worst Non-Supervillain Dad. 😄

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Truth.  😂

Well, Dragon King is up there too.  But Sam wins Worst Non-Supervillain Dad. 😄

Sam is the classic absent dad. He had good intentions, but still fell into: "It's all about me!" attitude. It be interesting if they ever explain how he got to where he was. Pat punching him is long, long over due. Oh Barbara, don't you know you NEVER look up personal searches on a work computer or LEAVE your email open. Plus, I'm actually happy Barb felt worst after everything happened, because honestly, she should have told Court a long time ago that Sam was an asshole.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, readster said:

Sam is the classic absent dad. He had good intentions, but still fell into: "It's all about me!" attitude.

I don’t know.  At first I would have agreed that he had good intentions, but by the end of his final scene with Pat, it seemed clear to me that the whole thing had been a con, playing the sincere act to get Courtney to give him her locket.  

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I don’t know.  At first I would have agreed that he had good intentions, but by the end of his final scene with Pat, it seemed clear to me that the whole thing had been a con, playing the sincere act to get Courtney to give him her locket.  

Which is what happens and then later on the person is completely about the making everything better for themselves. Everyone else just becomes circumstancial. However, as I put it, why Barb didn't tell Courtney the truth a long time ago really is confusing. Now after all this, Barb is kicking herself. 

• Love 3

It was a good episode but I think it was also their weakest episode. Shining Knight didnt really get to do much and Courtneys father was introduced just to break Courtneys spirit and rebuild it by the end of the episode. It was definitely an episode meant to move us into the 2part finale.

I'm surprised that Icicle doesnt have some way to block Brainwave from reading his mind. I thought he could probably ice up and block it but they didnt really address it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Sam is a POS. Courtney was so crushed when he said he wanted to sell the lockets that really were their connection as father and daughter, and when she gave it to him it felt like, "if this doesn't mean anything to you, then I guess it doesn't mean anything to me, either." And then he comes right out and tells Pat he won't actually be back to see Courtney, and makes a disrespectful comment about Barb to boot! I'm glad Pat hit him!

I think Shining Knight was intended as an example of how people Brainwave messes with wind up "not right." I'm hoping the Staff has some more healing powers for him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

I think Shining Knight was intended as an example of how people Brainwave messes with wind up "not right."

That, and he was there to set up the whole “heroes can come from anywhere” theme.

• Love 7
(edited)

It was a good episode but I think it was also their weakest episode.

I don't think it was weak as so much it aired after the best episode of the season thus far. They've had their foot on the gas the last 5-6 weeks so it only made sense to "ease" up right before the two part season finale.

Edited by speedroc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Sam is a POS. Courtney was so crushed when he said he wanted to sell the lockets that really were their connection as father and daughter, and when she gave it to him it felt like, "if this doesn't mean anything to you, then I guess it doesn't mean anything to me, either." And then he comes right out and tells Pat he won't actually be back to see Courtney, and makes a disrespectful comment about Barb to boot! I'm glad Pat hit him!

I think Shining Knight was intended as an example of how people Brainwave messes with wind up "not right." I'm hoping the Staff has some more healing powers for him.

Right on both parts. Yep, Sam Curtis, horrible person, who "charmed" women with his good looks and snake oil pitches. Oh, that explains why Geoff Shults played him. As for poor Justin, proves that Project New America is not going to go well for the ISA.

• Love 1

Damn it, why can't I have Geoff Stults as a regular in show that does not get cancelled after one season(RIP The Finder and Enlisted)??? Instead he's either underused *GraceandFrankie* or has to play some jerks.

That said, well played - makes sense that Courtney thought he was Starman given his looks. Plenty of devastating scenes in this episode. Brec Bassinger was really owning this episode. 

And although I'm glad Barbara is not going down the cliché route of freaked out Mom I'm having troubles with her calm demeanor and acceptance of all the crazy that just entered her life. But it's a refreshing change of pace and I appreciate that she's using her brain to handle the situation. Deleting her browser history was a smart move - just not smart enough when you're dealing with a supervillain with an IT department.

Poor Mike can't catch a break. I agree Pat yelling at him was hard to watch. And now he's made it onto Brainwave's kill list.

Justin was heart-breaking but I feel a if his introduction was a bit rushed in order to use him as a warning to Pat what's about to come.

Not as much fun to watch as previous episodes but Henry's death required a more somber tone.

• Love 5

Something just occurred to me: assuming Icicle really wants to "make people better," is Brainwave really the right person to put in the machine? I mean, there's no one else, but I think he's just as likely to kill everybody as control them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, readster said:

Sam is the classic absent dad. He had good intentions, but still fell into: "It's all about me!" attitude. It be interesting if they ever explain how he got to where he was. Pat punching him is long, long over due. Oh Barbara, don't you know you NEVER look up personal searches on a work computer or LEAVE your email open. Plus, I'm actually happy Barb felt worst after everything happened, because honestly, she should have told Court a long time ago that Sam was an asshole.

She told Courtney earlier in the season that her dad was not a good person lol. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

She told Courtney earlier in the season that her dad was not a good person lol. 

The problem was and I know she didn't want to go into detail, but needed to add: "He conned people, went to prison, ect." 

• Love 1

So, taking things at face value and assuming there isn't some kind of twist down the road, it turns out Courtney's dad wasn't Starman after-all.  Instead, he is Sam Kurtis, a deadbeat, who returns and acted like he wanted to "reconnect" with his long-lost daughter, but really just wanted her half of the locket, so he can sell it for his own sorry ass.  Yuck.  Part of me wanted Courtney to refuse him out of spite, but I can see why she probably just wanted him out of her life for good.  At least Pat got to deck him for that and his snide remark about Barbara.  But the evil part of me is really hoping he somehow ends up stumbling in the ISA's path and really gets his ass handed to him.  Geoff Stults did a great job with all of this, to his credit.

And it did lead to a nice hug between Courtney and Pat.  Brec Bassinger and Luke Wilson have really nailed down this dynamic.

I do think Barbara has almost become a bit too understanding and open about Courtney continuing to be Stargirl and put herself in danger, but I guess when you discover that your boss has ice powers and is an evil member of a gang that is planning on mind-controlling millions of people, a leap of faith might be required!

Something big is definitely going to come out of Mike being kept in the dark and pushed away.  My guess he's going to rebel at the worst time possible, and be put in some kind of peril.

Mysterious Janitor is none other than Shining Knight from the Seven Soldiers (love that there was another remark about why there is actually eight members in the group.  Pat is so over that question!), and he seems to have lost his memories or had his mind altered.  I'm guessing this was Brainwave's doing.

Speaking of which, Brainwave really has become the worst, and that is saying something.  He really doesn't give a shit out about killing his own son.  Hey, Jordan/Icicle might have already killed one kid and is giving the order to take out another, but at least he loves his actual son!  And Sportsmaster and Tigress love their daughter enough to kill coaches for her!  Even Dr. Ito takes the "lock her up and gas her" approach with his daughter, and doesn't just wipe her off the face of the Earth.  In short, you suck, Brainwave!  

The rest of the JSA took a backseat here, but I like them trying to get through to Courtney that just because she isn't Starman's child, doesn't mean she isn't worthy of the Staff.  Also like that Yolanda is taking Henry Jr.'s death harder than the others, because despite their history, I imagine she would have a lot of emotions over him going out like he did.

Can't wait to see what these last two episodes have in store for everyone!

• Love 7

This was my favorite episode so far. I never expected to cry during this series, but darned if I wasn't choked up and wiping my eyes when Pat hugged Courtney and let her cry. Such beautiful work from both Brec Bassinger and Luke Wilson. And I just wanted to hug Justin, the poor guy. The actor did such a good job of making him pathetic, but not in a weak way. The character depth on this series absolutely knocks me off my feet.

I dread the last two episodes as much as I'm looking forward to them, because this show isn't shy about killing people off. I'm just going to keep a good thought that whatever danger Mike is in, Courtney or Pat will rescue him. I refuse to entertain any other possibility!

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, taking things at face value and assuming there isn't some kind of twist down the road, it turns out Courtney's dad wasn't Starman after-all.  Instead, he is Sam Kurtis, a deadbeat, who returns and acted like he wanted to "reconnect" with his long-lost daughter, but really just wanted her half of the locket, so he can sell it for his own sorry ass.  Yuck.  Part of me wanted Courtney to refuse him out of spite, but I can see why she probably just wanted him out of her life for good.  At least Pat got to deck him for that and his snide remark about Barbara.  But the evil part of me is really hoping he somehow ends up stumbling in the ISA's path and really gets his ass handed to him.  Geoff Stults did a great job with all of this, to his credit.

And it did lead to a nice hug between Courtney and Pat.  Brec Bassinger and Luke Wilson have really nailed down this dynamic.

I do think Barbara has almost become a bit too understanding and open about Courtney continuing to be Stargirl and put herself in danger, but I guess when you discover that your boss has ice powers and is an evil member of a gang that is planning on mind-controlling millions of people, a leap of faith might be required!

I think also Barbara was kicking herself for bringing Sam back into their lives like that. I mean when she went into the whole: "I tried contacting you off and on for a decade and you just show up." Of course as Sam put it: "The fact you went back to Blue Valley made me realize something was going on." Yeah, no keeping Mike out now, especially when Jordan gave the order with his: "Can't leave a legacy." 

• Love 1

Every Mike scene has me wondering if this is his villain origin story b/c I'm a little tired of them not letting Mike in on what's happening. He knows something's up and they keep pushing him aside or snapping at him. Let him know already.

So glad they finally they settled the Starman's not Courtney's father story. I'm sorry that her real dad turned out to be a deadbeat but I was so tired of her telling the two adults who her father was. Pat worked with Starman, I think he would have been trusted with that information and Barbara actually had an adult relationship with Courtney's father and would remember what he looked like more than a 4 year old would. Though kudos on casting an actor who could look like Joel McHale if you squint.

Since this show isn't shy about killing people off (Henry really is dead dead??) I wonder out of Barbara, Pat, and Mike, which one will die. One of them will.

• Love 3
(edited)

Poor Courtney, what a terrible couple of days for her. Still reeling from Henry's death, now she finds out that Starman, who she has built up as her wonderful heroic father, isnt her dad at all, and instead she has some deadbeat asshole for a father who shows up at the worst time. No wonder she looked like she was about to cry for the entire episode. She was so hurt by everything that she couldn't even use the staff, especially after realizing what kind of guy her bio dad really is. I am glad that the JSA gave her a nice pep talk, it doesent matter if your Starmans daughter, your still a hero no matter who your parents were! Of course Courtney is a hero, she even has one of the most common of all hero type traits, a massive ass guilt complex. Too bad we arent jumping universes so much these days, she could start attending Barry Allen's "every death ever is my fault" support group.

Well Courtney, it could be worse...you could have Brainwave for a dad. There are not enough fires in the multiverse for that piece of crap to die in, he doesent even care that he murdered his own son, he might be the nastiest ISA member, despite all of the horrible things they have all done. He has the nerve to not only speak at Henry's funeral, he tries to guilt Courtney about his death?! What an absolute sack of crap. Yolanda, could you use those claws on this prick? 

Thank God for Pat, best dad ever. The hug between them was so sweet, and I admit to cheering when Pat punched useless Sam out, that was freaking awesome. "Your lucky I`m busy." Nice hit Stripsey! Pat and Courtney are so great together, and while I totally knew we would get a "Courtney realizes that she had a great dad the whole time" plot, I still totally love it. With so many crappy parents running around, we at least have Pat and Barbara as the resident awesome parents. Although, holy crap do they need to tell Mike the truth. Now his whole family is lying to him, he can tell there is something they arent telling him, and he is getting ignored because they are hiding all of this from him. Now he could end up getting hurt or something because he has no idea what is going on. 

Poor Justin, what did Dragon King do to the poor guy? Or was it Brainwave? Or both? Was he one of the people  that was "not right" when Brainwave was done with them? At least he found Pat so maybe he can help him, or at least give him a place to stay. I really hope we get more of him later on, especially some flashbacks to Justin in his prime or what the IJS did to him, so that maybe they can help him. Especially if he has his whole backstory in Camelot and everything. 

Barbara is actually handling all of this pretty well, but with these child murdering wackjobs running around and her boss being their leader, I suppose she has to adjust fast. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Am I a huge dork for mentally titling this episode "The Knight Begins To Shine"?

Actually, Sir Justin is more of a B-plot. To Geoff Johns' credit, his road to recovery isn't played for laughs. Well, it is played for the one guffaw, as Pat/Stripesy beckons Justin. That was funny, especially because you can imagine Pat doing that for anyone.

Courtney gets put through the wringer this week . . . and I was wondering if the locket related to the Cosmic Staff. I guess the Staff decided to play possum until Courtney really believed in it. Well, now the whole family is in the loop. Oh, wait . . . not Mike. It would be funny if he knew. "What the heck, Pat?!? You keep telling me not to reveal that you were an adult sidekick in a striped sweater, which was something I'd NEVER admit to anyone even if I was being tortured, and you share that with Courtney the first day in Blue Valley?!?' And, once again, I think even the English Bulldog is in the loop.

I'm hoping JSA Jr. grows more dimensions before the finale. Rick's willingness to fight at the drop of a hat (turn of an hourglass?) is getting a bit old. Yolanda gets points for feeling bad about Henry's death even after all the shit he put her through. Beth contributed by leaving the goggles at home. Otherwise, "Chuck" diagnoses Justin in under a minute, and where's the fun in that?

We should brace for the big fights to come . . . especially Icicle and Brainwave dropping trou and attempting to bludgeon each other to death. Who else could lead the ISA? Dragon King looks to be a mere associate, and the others would probably wait on the sidelines rather than gamble on who wins that battle. #SeeWhatIDidThere

• Love 3

No shock that Court's birth father is a piece of shit.  Good news for Court is that she's got Pat, the best father.  And she knows it.  That hug and burying her head in Pat's shirt while crying, she accepted Pat as her true father right there.

And smart move by Pat that while walking away after slugging Courtney's piece of shit birth father, looking back.  He wasn't gonna get jumped from behind.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

I dread the last two episodes as much as I'm looking forward to them, because this show isn't shy about killing people off. I'm just going to keep a good thought that whatever danger Mike is in, Courtney or Pat will rescue him. I refuse to entertain any other possibility!

I think Mike is safe for now because...

1 hour ago, readster said:

Yeah, no keeping Mike out now, especially when Jordan gave the order with his: "Can't leave a legacy." 

...he's a legacy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wonder if the locket sets up something or just a way for Court's bio-dad to make a few bucks. Is it really that valuable that he can get a lot of money for it? Why? It didn't look like gold. Court is very lucky that her mom married Pat. A real dad for her and so far, a good man. 

Barbara should watch her work email and computer and delete everything. And maybe play stupid to see what the boss is really up to. 

I hope Justin isn't in the show for a couple of eps - he could be valuable.

Age-wise, I am out of this show's demographic, but I have been enjoying it and how it plays and twists cliches. Not many shows have evil Norwegians. I suppose I also have a fondness for Luke Wilson.

Interesting music choice of Pretty Vegas by INXS.

Edited by Frozendiva
added song ref and fixed typo
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I was wondering if the locket related to the Cosmic Staff. I guess the Staff decided to play possum until Courtney really believed in it.

They were totally telegraphing that it was the locket that gave Courtney the ability to use the Staff, but then the power of Mom and Dad supporting Courtney makes it happen.

I was a little freaked out that scruffed-up Geoff Stults as Sam Kurtis, Courtney's deadbeat dad, looks so much like my kids' deadbeat dad did 30+ years ago:

baddads.png

So why does he need 2 lockets? Is he going on Antiques Roadshow?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 7/28/2020 at 12:32 AM, RobertDeSneero said:

Are we supposed to suspect that the lockets may be, like the cosmic staff, a creation of Ted Knight?

I really thought the reason the staff didn't work was because she didn't have the locket anymore, but it didn't turn out that way.  Like you, I thought the guy who designed the locket was perhaps Ted Knight, and it's presence made the staff work for Courtney.  In fact, it still hasn't been explained why the staff chose Courtney, unless we're just going with the "heroes can come from anywhere" line. 

Anyway, not much action, but a nice calm before the storm episode, and we did get some important answers.

I couldn't help but enjoy Pat punching Sam, he had it coming.  You don't mess with a superhero sidekick.  Someone here talked about how perfectly cast Luke Wilson is for Pat Dugan.  And I have to agree, he really nails the character.  The only thing missing is he doesn't have the imposing physical presence that I imagine the "real" Stripesy would have.  That's okay, but it keeps him from being "Robert Downey Jr/Tony Stark" perfect.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They were totally telegraphing that it was the locket that gave Courtney the ability to use the Staff, but then the power of Mom and Dad supporting Courtney makes it happen.

That's straight out of the comics, they are just worth more as a set than individual. Of course, something I always wanted to know was where Court's dead beat dad was raised. Because from both the show and the comics (both written by Johns) it seems his mother was a good woman who passed away just after Court was born. How he turned into such an asshole has never been explained. 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, readster said:
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That's straight out of the comics, they are just worth more as a set than individual.

So just like on Antiques Roadshow! Maybe Johns was a fan?

4 hours ago, readster said:

That's straight out of the comics, they are just worth more as a set than individual. 

Okay, when I first read that line, I thought you were talking about the family.  Because Court got the staff to work when Pat and her mother were there to support her.  They were stronger together, get it?  But then I realized you were talking about the lockets.  I haven't read the comics (yet), so I had kind of assumed the locket was a TV invention.  

Shining Knight apparently had his mind wiped by Brainwave, and is suffering the side effects Icicle was talking about.  

8 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That brief scene with Justin seeing the hooded face in the mirror....I wonder if that could mean that some of the other hooded minions are brainwashed heroes?  

Great point.  Could some of the original JSA members or Seven Soldiers (plus Pat) still be alive?

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

In fact, it still hasn't been explained why the staff chose Courtney, unless we're just going with the "heroes can come from anywhere" line. 

I don’t know if this will be a satisfactory answer for other viewers.  But for me, I now think that the staff could somehow “sense” the danger posed by the ISA, and chose the person best suited to oppose them from the options available.  Pat had possession of it, but c’mon- sidekick.  Mike is too young, and Barbara is a decent person, but focused on career and family.

Meanwhile Courtney has the commitment and desire to do good and protect people.  The fact that she has an athletic background (right?) is also a plus.  I also think she was kind of looking for something to connect to, considering she had just moved to a new town where she didn’t know anyone.  Becoming Stargirl gave her an identity- first as a connection to a kind of fantastical legacy, but now hopefully to a higher purpose as a hero.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Yes, high school gymnastics.

She also had a black belt as shown in the first episode with her moving, something also from the comics she had gymastics and kick boxing experience. Reason why she was able to hold her own against Sportsmaster's bat/bo attacks. While Larry might still be one of the world's top fighters, he isn't 17 anymore no matter how many runs and power squats and eating no sugar. 

On 7/28/2020 at 9:53 PM, kirinan said:

This was my favorite episode so far. 

Me too! Or at least in a 3-way tie with last week and the pilot.

I'm still holding onto hope that Henry is still somehow alive. Let me have this!

Are we just to assume Mike is 'a legacy' because he's Pat son or is there possibly more to that? Do we know anything about his mom? I don't remember them talking about her at all but maybe I missed it.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Are we just to assume Mike is 'a legacy' because he's Pat son or is there possibly more to that? Do we know anything about his mom? I don't remember them talking about her at all but maybe I missed it.

Yes, because as far as Brainwave knows, she is Slyvestor's daughter and Henry Sr telling Jordan who Pat really is, made him realize: "Oh great, I hated that sidekick and he has a son, he'll come after me if I let him live like Courtney." 

• Love 1
On 7/30/2020 at 6:25 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I'm still holding onto hope that Henry is still somehow alive. Let me have this!

It's possible Henry could have used his mental powers to shield himself from the rubble and from Brainwave detecting him.  For now they seem to be going with the narrative that he's dead, but never say never, especially when comic book worlds are involved.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

It's possible Henry could have used his mental powers to shield himself from the rubble and from Brainwave detecting him.  For now they seem to be going with the narrative that he's dead, but never say never, especially when comic book worlds are involved.

Henry’s brain powers included being able to more or less inhabit other people’s brains.  🧠  Perhaps if he was “in” someone else’s brain when his body was crushed, Henry still exists in that other person’s brain. Maybe Henry is now one of Shining Knight‘a persona’s. 

On 7/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, peachmangosteen said:

We'll know for sure if there's an episode next season called "Stripesy Jr"...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Henry’s brain powers included being able to more or less inhabit other people’s brains.  🧠  Perhaps if he was “in” someone else’s brain when his body was crushed, Henry still exists in that other person’s brain. Maybe Henry is now one of Shining Knight‘a persona’s. 

I don't know if I'd be very interested in that, but I like the brain emoji.

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

We'll know for sure if there's an episode next season called "Stripesy Jr"...

Ugh, poor kid.  He'd be better off staying in the dark, or with a little robot car suit.

• LOL 1

This episode made me realize that we know next to nothing about Mike's mother. I don't think we've even heard a name, which is a bit suspicious on a show where family and legacy has played such a big role. for so many other characters.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

This episode made me realize that we know next to nothing about Mike's mother. I don't think we've even heard a name, which is a bit suspicious on a show where family and legacy has played such a big role. for so many other characters.

That's what I'm saying!

• Love 2

Every Mike scene has me wondering if this is his villain origin story b/c I'm a little tired of them not letting Mike in on what's happening. He knows something's up and they keep pushing him aside or snapping at him. Let him know already.

I have a hunch Mike will be the next Johnny Thunder.  If only because that pink pen is still in Courtney's room and there may come a moment in which he'll grab it and realize its secrets.

We also never heard about Mike's mom, so I am curious as to whether or not he really is Pat's biological son.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, magicdog said:

We also never heard about Mike's mom, so I am curious as to whether or not he really is Pat's biological son.

He might not be, considering how little attention Pat pays to him.  He's always off with Courtney.

"Sorry buddy, she's the lead.  Got to be closer to the spotlight".

• LOL 3