Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E12: Lucca

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

How nice of the producers to plant a bunch of truffles in the dirt to make them easy to find.

I'm curious, why do you say this? Was there something online about it?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, snarktini said:

Gregory seemed particularly off-base with his choice. I cringed when he said he had this vision of a dish and he had no idea if it would work with truffle

This!  It happens over and over on TC.  Someone has a dish in their head and can't let it go if it doesn't fit the challenge.  I think in Gregory's case, the back pain was a contributing factor of course.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I don't think we have evidence of it in this case but it's been done in the past on other shows. Anthony Bourdain (God rest his soul) would always mention stunt fish whenever he had to film a fishing scene. 

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the production people had a stash of white truffles on hand for the chefs to use in the challenge in case the dogs came up empty or only managed to find a few. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Now that I think about it, the truffle challenge seems every bit as specific, persnickety, and "special" as the Kaiseki challenge, No complaint in either case for me. Imagine Malarkey trying to edit him dish so as to not kill the truffle flavor?

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

I am curious, is there a Northwest that is not the Pacific Northwest? I ask because I always see the region referred as such and I always wondered. 

ETA -- thanks to those above who answered this much better than I did.  I deleted my response.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2020 at 11:39 AM, Ashforth said:

I agree, I think that Bryan V's dish was classic, while Melissa's was more inventive. The Italian judge didn't know of her congee history, LOL.

At this point in the competition, I think it's pretty common for the judges to reward the chefs who push the envelope and give them something rather unique.

Not to trigger those who dislike Michael Voltaggio and Guy Fieri (sorry, y'all) but Michael V has been on Guy's Ranch Kitchen and he is doing some really different techniques that seem to transform traditional dishes to modern and still delicious. Bryan V seems kind of stuck in the traditional or in concepts that were fresh ten years ago; if he isn't, he needs to let his freak flag fly for the next challenge. I like him and hope he does well (I so prefer him over Kevin) but he needs to bring it.

Bryan is stuck in his glory days, but it's beginning to be like the guy who is still telling stories of his big win... on the high school football team, 20 years later. I'm sure his food tastes good, but when he's cooking or talking about his dishes, he and the descriptions just comes across as tired. And not to bring his brother into it, but I do think that he sees how his brother's career has gone versus his own and that's in the back of his mind, at the very least. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

So the show is edited after the results are known. The editors then take footage and give us a story. So what is our story? 

We  have our plucky underdog: Stephanie. She has done better than many expected including herself.

We have our cancer survivor southern good ole boy, Kevin., who is recently revealed he is to the manor born. 

Then there is Rockstar Melissa / All she does is win and has Michelin star talent

Finally Bryan our perpetual also ran.  .Always close but no cigar..including being outshone by his brother.

Right now I am leaning to a Bryan win. Padma has a soft spot for him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:

So the show is edited after the results are known. The editors then take footage and give us a story. So what is our story? 

There's quite a bit of massaging of events going on. Most, if not all, reality shows have multiple story producers that "observe" the events that unfold during filming, come up with a story line for the show, and "guide" the cast to create footage that fits within the story line. They are usually the ones asking questions during the talking heads. They also direct editors to edit in a way that conveys the story line they come up with. All the story producers work with the story editors to produce specific acts within an episode. 

tl;dr It's all manipulation. (but Kevin is still full of himself)

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They didn't edit out Kevin's offensive remarks. Do the editors think we'll forget? Cancer survivor of not, he can't take back what he said.

The editors might not have realized they'd be offensive remarks until people reacted to them online.

• Love 3

@HighQueenEB - Thank you for the NW/Pacific NW explanation. I told my family, and hubby thought it was cool, while the miniToothbrushes murmured something about home schooling being over...lol 

I was crushed when Gregory had to P(H)KAG, but I would hate for him to have hurt his back any further so it was for the best. The only elimination that won't hurt at this point is Kevin. I like him and Brian, but would love to see a Stephanie/Melissa final. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

The only elimination that won't hurt at this point is Kevin. I like him and Brian, but would love to see a Stephanie/Melissa final. 

Wouldn't that be the most awesome thing evah???

• Love 3

I was very impressed that Padma is fluent in Italian.  Also fluent in Spanish, Tamil, and Hindi according to Wikipedia.  

So the truffles are like $2400 a pound.  Anybody know how much one of those truffles weighs?  Just trying to get a sense of how much they were shaving on to the dishes.  Went to a restaurant one time and a friend ordered a white truffle pizza because it was one of the specials, having no idea how much it cost.  Shocked when the bill came and it was $80.

Feel bad for Gregory, but just from appearance alone, it didn't look appetizing.  He stayed true to his wheelhouse, but yuck.

I think Melissa is talented, but I always get tired of people who only cook what they know.  Yes, that's her skillset.  But you're in Italy.  You don't need to make some sort of Asian-Italy fusion.  That said though, I love congee and would have loved her dish.

Bryan is a little awkward it seems, that laugh is hilarious.  I guess despite the last name, he doesn't really have a lot of Italian roots or knowledge?  Funny watching him try to flub through speaking some Italian.

• Love 3

J

ust trying to get a sense of how much they were shaving on to the dishes.  Went to a restaurant one time and a friend ordered a white truffle pizza because it was one of the specials, having no idea how much it cost.  Shocked when the bill came and it was $80.

Was at Spiagia in Chicago and they came around and offered white truffles in a device that looked like the graters they use for Parmigiano and soon found out that it was $25 for each time they cranked the grater!

Bryan is a little awkward it seems, that laugh is hilarious.  I guess despite the last name, he doesn't really have a lot of Italian roots or knowledge?  Funny watching him try to flub through speaking some Italian.

But not as fun as watching him slide along on his rollerboard when they got to Italy. I think he will really shine if he makes it to the end since he does know Italian food (maybe not the language, but the food) and his precision should pay off.

• Love 3
On 6/8/2020 at 9:18 AM, Ashforth said:

The reason truffles are the cost as a diamond ring is because they only grow in the wild & are very difficult to find.  You can spend hours hunting for one.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Bunnyette said:

The reason truffles are the cost as a diamond ring is because they only grow in the wild & are very difficult to find.  You can spend hours hunting for one.

Yeah, I found that interesting.  I guess just like wineries that happen to be in fertile land perfect for growing the best grapes, if you happen to be a truffle company who owns lucky land, then you've hit the jackpot.  Those dogs - was one of them sort of a German wirehaired pointer puppy? - seemed to find them instantly, although of course there is editing.  

After they find the truffle, do you just brush it?  How do you get rid of the dirt and clean it up?  I gather you're not washing it with soap.

15 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

After they find the truffle, do you just brush it?  How do you get rid of the dirt and clean it up?  I gather you're not washing it with soap.

Yeah, it's like other funghi. You just brush the dirt off. You do not want to wash it.

• Useful 1

I recall a job interview process for executives, where the interviewers would take them to lunch at a very nice restaurant.    The way the candidate treated the wait staff, and others they met determined if they were hired or not.    I suspect Kevin would have flunked that test.    

• Love 3
20 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Those dogs - was one of them sort of a German wirehaired pointer puppy? - seemed to find them instantly, although of course there is editing.  

One looked like a Lagotto Romagnolo, they're part of the retriever family.

They are adorable.

• Love 3

I love everything about Top Chef but it triggers 2 things I love that we can't do right now - travel and food!!!  Cue tears.

Will there even be ANOTHER season next year?  F this pandemic.

(Also: Padma speaking Italian is super hot.)

• Love 3

At first I thought it was a little embarrassing that one dish after another failed the "truffle-forward" test, but I've been thinking about it.

I bet not one of the cheftestants has any experience with white truffles.  Black truffles have a heartier flavor and I think they're sturdier for transportation.  One of the gang mentioned white truffles were a different creature by the time they reach the US.  

"Here's a thousand dollar puff of smoke; see what you can do with it."

[That happy dog with his muddy muzzle was adorable.  My dogs look exactly like that sometimes, but trust me, it's not anything as charming as truffles they're rooting for.]

• LOL 4
On 6/6/2020 at 5:53 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:
On 6/5/2020 at 1:25 PM, MerBearHou said:

Or, one could think of it as being akin to risotto, since it is a rice dish.  An Asian cousin of risotto, which could explain why the white truffle worked with it.  

That’s so funny you say that, because the first time I tried risotto I thought that it tasted just like Filipino congee (lugaw or arroz caldo).  

• Love 3