Type keyword(s) to search

Quarantine Watching: Movies to Cope

• Start Topic

So I was thinking for all of us "weirdos" that would prefer not watch Contagion/Outbreak or other dystopian pandemic movies while we are fucking LIVING in one, I thought I'd start a thread so we can share the movies we are currently watching to get through this.

We got a Starz free preview weekend and a Showtime/Epix preview through April 19, which got me to catch up on movies I hadn't seen before. I watched The Front Runner (the movie about Gary Hart with Hugh Jackman). It was good, but left me feeling bitter about certain issues which I won't bring up in this thread...

I've also been watching old favorites like Harry Potter and Sense and Sensibility. The Greatest Showman has been on cable quite a bit, and even though most of it was bullshit it still helps.

• Love 3

I watched the Ustinov version of Evil Under the Sun. That scene of Maggie Smith and Diana Rigg singing “You’re the Top” is classic. 

I have zero interest in dystopian anything right now. Give me well-dressed people at a country house/island retreat/on a yacht and one of them gets murdered. 

• Love 6

I watched Airplane! the other day. And even though a significant part of the plot is a number of passengers and the entire flight crew getting sick, it's because of food poisoning rather than what we're dealing with in the real world.

Also, it's still fucking hilarious.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So I was thinking for all of us "weirdos" that would prefer not watch Contagion/Outbreak or other dystopian pandemic movies while we are fucking LIVING in one, I thought I'd start a thread so we can share the movies we are currently watching to get through this.

I was thinking about this the other day.  I honestly don't know if I'll ever watch another contagion/pandemic movie again.

As for what I'm watching now, I have a lot of movies that I enjoy recorded on the dvr and am always choosing one to throw on before I fall asleep (if there's nothing on regular tv that I'm interested in).  We watched The Invisible Man the other day and it was better than I expected and we're looking forward to Onward on April 3rd.  We also have some interest in The Gentlemen, which we wanted to see in theaters, but never found the time.

• Love 2

I will be watching Onward tomorrow too. Would have liked the new Mulan to be up on rental but Disney is probably willing to wait for the theaters for that one. Hopefully in a few months...

I watched Mystery Men today. Anyone remember that one? Funny stuff.

• Love 3

I, too, will be watching Onward tomorrow. The first weekend we had Shelter-in-Home orders (I actually have an essential job... fuel... it's a thing a lot of people still need so I am still working regular hours and have only the weekend to look forward to) I opened Netflix and there was a documentary called Pandemic and immediately below that Outbreak.

I turned Netflix off that evening.

We're also watching the Great Pottery Throw Down on YouTube. Just finished the first season. I know it's not movies but it's creative and interesting and soothing so... you know... just what we need.

• Love 3

One of my regular movie podcasts reviewed the mockbuster version of Onward, Homeward:

It's sent me down a rabbit hole of other mockbusters from The Asylum, who've brought the world such gems as Atlantic Rim, The Fast and the Fierce, Avengers Grimm, Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, Martian Land and Operation Dunkirk, among many others. None are good or really share a plot with the Hollywood version, but some are less boring and more ridiculous than others. Free apps like Tubi had a bunch of them in their library and Pluto TV has a whole Asylum channel. 

(edited)

Happy to report that Onward is a great quarantine movie. And the plus of it being rental is that you don't have to sit through the stupid Simpsons short. Sorry Simpsons fans but I'm so over them.

Also watched Beginners, a great romantic dramedy with Ewan McGregor, Melanie Laurent, and the most adorable Jack Russell terrier!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I find The Princess Bride very comforting.

Rowan Ellis made a lis of comforting LGBTQ+ movies

I'm so glad she recommended Pride. I've lost count of how many people I've rec'd it to, and every single one of 'em enjoyed it.

• Love 2
On 4/2/2020 at 9:44 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Sense and Sensibility.

Ditto on this.  I've seen it many times and watched it again, start to finish, when it was on the other day. 

Real Steel.   Hugh Jackman looks hot, the robot effects are really good and the kid isn't annoying.  Predictable? Yes, but fun and touching too.

• Love 3
(edited)

5 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

That Thing You Do always makes me happy 

A lot of people are tweeting about watching that movie now because unfortunately Adam Schlesinger passed away due to COVID-19.

In addition to writing and co-producing the title song to That Thing You Do!, Schlesinger composed "Master of the Seas" for Ice Age: Continental Drift performed by Jennifer Lopez, Peter Dinklage and others. He wrote and produced three songs for Music and Lyrics,[10][11] and his music has also been featured in films such as Shallow Hal (which he scored with Ivy);[12] Robots;[13] There's Something About Mary;[12] Me, Myself & Irene;[14] Josie and the Pussycats;[11] Scary Movie;[15] Art School Confidential;[16] Fever Pitch;[17] The Manchurian Candidate;[18] Because of Winn-Dixie;[19] Orange County;[20] Two Weeks Notice,[14] and others.

I bolded these three movies as they are part of my all time favourites.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Now is a great time to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Not only is it one of the better Ben Stiller movies, it recaptures that feeling you get when you finally have the courage to go to places you only daydreamed about.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Now is a great time to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Not only is it one of the better Ben Stiller movies, it recaptures that feeling you get when you finally have the courage to go to places you only daydreamed about.

It's funny, I know I watched this movie a while back but I remember absolutely nothing about it.

I'm not having the time to watch movies that I thought I would but I did watch Onward yesterday. I really loved it, such a sweet story.

• Love 3

Clueless is another one I think is worth watching to keep our minds off of what is going on. This is a movie I can watch over and over and over again.

Alicia Silverstone was just perfect casting. And who'da thunk I'd find Dan Hedaya tolerable?

And the slang phrases this movie gave us!

WhateEEEVERRRRRR!

AS IF!!!!

• Love 16

I just watched Grosse Pointe Blank for like the 10th time. Never gets old for me. Great soundtrack, great performances. John Cusack as a neurotic professional assassin with sister Joan as his trusty assistant is priceless. And Minnie Driver is always a delight to watch. 

• Love 12
On 4/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, coppersin said:

I'm so glad she recommended Pride. I've lost count of how many people I've rec'd it to, and every single one of 'em enjoyed it.

After seeing Pride (completely charming and moving film), I will never look at Dominic West the same way again.  Who know he could move like that?

I've mostly been watching tv when I've been working from home, but I did order a couple of dvds, and watched Wild Rose the other night.  I'd seen it at the movies, and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

• Love 3

My mom is stuck at home and open to watching movies she would never watch if she could something else.  Finally got her to watch Road to Perdition. I forgot what a good movie that was, certainly not a feel good movie, but the performances were good. I'm not sure I've ever seen Tom Hanks portray that kind of character. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, topanga said:

I just watched Grosse Pointe Blank for like the 10th time. Never gets old for me. Great soundtrack, great performances. John Cusack as a neurotic professional assassin with sister Joan as his trusty assistant is priceless. And Minnie Driver is always a delight to watch. 

"You can never go home again... but you can shop there." Aaand it's going on my rewatch list, love that movie.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

When  the US (and the world) was gripped by the chaotic Depression and Dust Bowl back in the early 1930's, Hollywood responded by producing countless escapist musicals and comedies  in which everyone was at least comfortably housed with a glamorous wardrobe,etc. Oh, yes, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing and the public by and large LIVED to see these spectacular fantasies with happy endings enacted before their eyes. 

So why not kick back to Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers flicks or the Busby Berkeley classics such as Dames (1934) (which debuted the cool song 'I Only Have Eyes for You'),etc. 

• Love 2

I like going back to classic films - they tend to be lighter and more escapist in tone and considering the times, it's definitely the prescription for many.

TCM has two great musicals on tap this morning/early afternoon:

Mame (1958) and Singing' In The Rain (1952).  Mame will air 3:30PM EST, while SITR will air right after at 6PM EST.

Other recommendations:

One of my faves is My Favorite Year (1982).  Peter O'Toole as a Errol Flynn-esque Hollywood star who needs to make a comeback by appearing on a 1950s comedy show.  Mark Linn Baker plays his Jiminy Cricket (sober buddy).  Great film from start to finish!    

I've always loved Abbott & Costello films, so I recommend these:

Buck Privates  - Guess who end up in the army?

In The Navy - What's good enough for the army...

Hold That Ghost - fun murder mystery!

Ride 'Em Cowboy! (where else can you see Ella Fitzgerald sing "A Tiskit, A Tasket" while on a bus? )

It Ain't Hay - Loosely based on a Damon Runyon story, Bud & Lou borrow a racehorse to help out a NYC Carriage driver and his daughter.

Buck Privates Come Home - sequel to first film, with the guys coming home from the war with an orphan in tow.

The Naughty Nineties - set at the turn of the last century, their famous comedy routine, "Who's on First?" is featured.

I'll think of a few more gems later.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 5

I love Singin' in the Rain. I introduced it to a friend of mine and my set up for it was like I was Stefon from SNL. 'This movie has everything. Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Conner. Gene Kelly's ass. Gomez and Morticia Addams. A fashion show. The most iconic dance number in the history of film. Dream sequnces. Cyd Charisse and her amazing legs. And it ends with a lip synch for your life!'

Then we spent the whole movie ooohing over the clothes, commenting about how Don and Cosmo were in love and that Kathy's addition created an OT3. Is this the first believable throuple on film? Maybe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

One of my faves is My Favorite Year (1982).  Peter O'Toole as a Errol Flynn-esque Hollywood star who needs to make a comeback by appearing on a 1950s comedy show.  Mark Linn Baker plays his Jiminy Cricket (sober buddy).  Great film from start to finish!    

One of these days I'm actually going to watch that movie.

I had free HBO this weekend so I watched a couple of movies I wouldn't have spent money on, to varying degrees of success:

Yesterday - It was nice, but nothing special.  Maybe if I was a Beatles fan, it would've resonated more.

Isn't It Romantic? - It's charms depend greatly on one's tolerance for Rebel Wilson, but I found it amusing, light and fluffy.  I think a lot of my enjoyment came from the fact that I agreed with the main character's dislike of romantic comedies.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve been into comedies- Sister Act and The Birdcage are two I’ve really enjoyed. 

I read that too fast and thought it read Birdbox, which is definitely not a comedy. Those are two good ones though.

• Love 3

I've been watching tons of old film noirs and monster movies!

The latest was a double bill of Stop Me Before I Kill!, a pulpy as hell title to a really quite well done suspense film. The lead character is dealing with massive character warping after a near fatal car accident, and it actually really nails what living on eggshells with a person you love but who can flip utterly the hell out over any and every tiny, random thing is like.

The other on the DVD was Cash On Demand, a non-horror Hammer black and white, starring Peter Cushing as a professional carrier of sticks up his butt bank manager who's held hostage in a bizarre robbery. It was one of the first glimpses I've ever had of Cushing in a non-Van Helsing role, and he nails the whole thing. It's based on a stage play and he's carrying 90% of the film while playing a very unsympathetic (initially) character, so he has to make you care about a guy who will remind everybody of THAT GUY from their office. He does so brillianty. 

• Love 3

I've been kinda sick this week, so finally had time to watch some movies. At least I won't have to avoid spoilers for Star Wars: ROS and Knives Out anymore, lol.

Just watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower, that one's been on my list for a while.  I think Jumanji 2 will be my next watch.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2020 at 10:59 PM, festivus said:

Just watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower, that one's been on my list for a while.  I think Jumanji 2 will be my next watch.

I finally watched Perks of Being a Wallflower and was incredibly moved by it.  I loved that when my mind said, "Oh, this dramatic plot moment is about to happen" (e.g., this girl is going to betray the boy's confidence and humiliate him), something else BETTER happened.  The sweet moments legit made me tear up.  It's rare to see a teen movie that is not a collection of mean things happening to a character.  Every time a "friendship" moment happened instead of a "because, plot" moment, it lifted me up just a little. 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Archery said:

I finally watched Perks of Being a Wallflower and was incredibly moved by it.

I was too, it was a quality movie. I had it on my Netflix list and it disappeared but it's back on Netflix now if anyone wants to watch it. 

Watched Isn't It Romantic last night. It was okay. I don't care for Rebel Wilson as a person but as an actress I think she does have that certain something. I thought the movie would be funnier, I guess I was just expecting more. 

• Love 2

I re-watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the first time in a long time. It still made me laugh and it really was ahead of it's time blending live action and animation so seamlessly.

• Love 8

Ooh here's a good one: Continental Divide with John Belushi and Blair Brown. It's a greatly underrated rom com that's smart, witty, and exactly the kind of movie we need right now. And Belushi was so sweet and charming in it. 

• Love 3

I've been watching musicals -- Victor/Victoria, Singin' In The Rain, LaLa Land (unpopular opinion -- I love LaLa Land), and The Music Man so far.

But it's hard not to smile when people are singing and dancing, with straight faces, to a song called "Shipoopi".

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But it's hard not to smile when people are singing and dancing, with straight faces, to a song called "Shipoopi".

So many fun moments in The Music Man.  My personal favorite is the piano rehearsal scene.

• Love 8

I drunk bought The Blues Brothers the other day because it's one of my favorite musicals. (Even if it's only for the scene at Ray's Music Exchange... that's what tips it over to musical for me.)

Obviously I have no regrets.

• Love 8