Type keyword(s) to search

Quarantine Watching: Movies to Cope

• Start Topic

Watched George of the Jungle on Disney+ because I needed to look at Brendan Fraser in a loincloth for a while. And because the fourth wall breaks with the narrator are just so funny.

Now I'm watching Lincoln because...well, I can't go into specifics.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

George of the Jungle is an absolute GEM. Brendan Fraser is hot af in it. Leslie Mann's Ursula is freaking adorable. The narration and 4th wall breaking is true to the cartoon. It's about as feel good as it gets, really.

• Love 8
On 9/27/2020 at 2:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I have certain ones that always make the list, and I try to have 4-5 new ones that I’ve never seen before. 

I do exactly this, but with Christmas.  I've never been a big Halloween fan, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons, so I appreciate the suggestions.  I scare very easily for one, and I just don't love the Halloween aesthetic, although, I do love Tim Burton.

I'm probably going to watch Parasite every Christmas too.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:49 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Watched George of the Jungle on Disney+ because I needed to look at Brendan Fraser in a loincloth for a while. And because the fourth wall breaks with the narrator are just so funny.

I spoke about this in another thread, probably the RomCom thread?  But I was on a big Brendan Fraser kick a few months back.  "Encino Man" has always been a favourite of mine.  I ended up looooooooooooooving "Bedazzled".  "Blast from the Past" was cute too.  I still want to try more.  While I remember loving GotJ when it came out, I couldn't get through it this time.  The tone was so weird for me now that I'm older!

Lots of people on Twitter discussing the movie "Dave" (1993) these days, I'm sure you can guess why!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Superman I, II. Because Christopher Reeves as Supes makes me feel good. None of the dark/grrrritttttty BULLSHIT that Snyder made.

And Terrance Stamp deliciously chewing the scenery as Zod!

"KNEEL before Zod!" Classic.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

"KNEEL before Zod!" Classic.

While that will never NOT be funny, Gene Hackman's "really?" and rolling of the eyes, was hilarious! And when Zod looks at him, and asks why Lex dares to mock him when they will kill him, Lex replies: "Superman's address?"

Christopher Reeves was just SO good and SO epitomized SUPERMAN. And his blue, blue, blue eyes.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I took a break from my Halloween movies to check out Bride & Prejudice (Amazon Prime) at the suggestions of my friends. It’s easy and cute. 

I love this movie.  It's a great, comfy palette cleanser.  Plus, Naveen Andrews as the Indian MC Hammer!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

All three Back to the Futures and Airplane. Their just so much fun and so funny. 

I always liked BTTF 1 and 2.  I finally rewatched 3.  Oh my god it is amazing.  It actually brought me to tears several times.  The friendship with Marty and Doc is so touching, and the romance in the film with Clara was great too.  The music , the costumes, the world building, the acting - I was in awe.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I always liked BTTF 1 and 2.  I finally rewatched 3.  Oh my god it is amazing.  It actually brought me to tears several times.  The friendship with Marty and Doc is so touching, and the romance in the film with Clara was great too.  The music , the costumes, the world building, the acting - I was in awe.

I love all three. But the third one is my favorite. Marty and Doc reuniting! Doc falling in love with Clara who's so cool. I love seeing all of Doc's different inventions. It was so much fun. I really wish they had done a few more with Doc, Marty and Clara time traveling around history.  

• Love 6

Watching BTTF Part III right now and there's not much I can add that's already been said, except Marty yelling "He's an ASSHOLE!" Is such a mood right now.

But seriously, I love this one too. Doc and Clara are so cute, and Marty finally got his kiss from Jennifer (since it was a running gag in the movies that they always got interrupted).

• Love 5
On 10/9/2020 at 1:30 AM, andromeda331 said:

I love all three. But the third one is my favorite. Marty and Doc reuniting! Doc falling in love with Clara who's so cool. I love seeing all of Doc's different inventions. It was so much fun. I really wish they had done a few more with Doc, Marty and Clara time traveling around history.  

There was an animated series that included Clara and the kids.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I know it wasn't the most popular one, but I was in quite the mood a couple weeks ago and watching The Rise of Skywalker again really cheered me up. 

Spoiler

Well, except for when Rey kissed Kylo Ren.  That was just...ew.

Although I have all the movies on DVD, I hadn't seen anything after Attack of the Clones beyond the initial viewing in theaters.  (My mom and I used to go to all of them many times, but she died at the end of that year.)

ETA:  Tonight I watched Charlie's Angels (2019).  I had been going to rent it off Xfinity, but it looked like they only offered a buy option now, so I ended up getting the DVD with an Amazon gift card even though it didn't look promising.  I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  I loved one of the cameos at the end!

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added note about Charlie's Angels.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I watched it a couple of nights ago. On it's own merits, its a great comedy and a good holiday movie. But this year I thought it took on a deeper meaning. 

Steve Martin's character has an arc that is so 2020. Just when he thinks it can't get worse, it does. But despite his tribulations, that character retains his empathy and is able to help someone who has had difficulty dealing with a tragedy. 

I think that's a lot of people right now.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 11/19/2020 at 9:08 PM, xaxat said:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I watched it a couple of nights ago. On it's own merits, its a great comedy and a good holiday movie. But this year I thought it took on a deeper meaning. 

Steve Martin's character has an arc that is so 2020. Just when he thinks it can't get worse, it does. But despite his tribulations, that character retains his empathy and is able to help someone who has had difficulty dealing with a tragedy. 

I think that's a lot of people right now.

That is a perfect analogy. And on an added note, I miss John Candy.

• Love 4
On 4/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, topanga said:

I just watched Grosse Pointe Blank for like the 10th time. Never gets old for me. Great soundtrack, great performances. John Cusack as a neurotic professional assassin with sister Joan as his trusty assistant is priceless. And Minnie Driver is always a delight to watch. 

I'm watching this right now, and looked for a thread for it. I haven't watched it in years, but the one song from The Adam Project, reminded me of my favourite version being used in this movie. I have good memories around Grosse Pointe Blank.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

While that will never NOT be funny, Gene Hackman's "really?" and rolling of the eyes, was hilarious! And when Zod looks at him, and asks why Lex dares to mock him when they will kill him, Lex replies: "Superman's address?"

Christopher Reeves was just SO good and SO epitomized SUPERMAN. And his blue, blue, blue eyes.

I haven't watched newer Superman movies (that I can recall, anyway), because he was Superman, for me. I loved those movies. 

• Love 1
On 12/16/2020 at 8:55 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I’m currently watching The Best Man Holiday. It’s bringing me so much joy. 

While I think that this is a good movie - and the New Edition scene is one of the best all time movie scenes, ever - it is SAD!

• Love 1