Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The Pitch

• Start Topic

Okay, it's almost the end, but I finally had good feelings towards Roland!

I loved Johnny saving the pitch and also David hugging Stevie "So you're a business woman now?" "Damn right!"

I don't know why but I got a real kick out of Jocelyn holding her "Team Rosebud" sign high above her head as the limo drove off.

• Love 17

Oh dear. I don't think Patrick looks happy at the idea of the good news. Please don't let this be the thing that breaks them up.

It's great to see John in his element. You can see why he was the business mogul

The Rose family doing a prayer circle is the weirdest but the most in character thing I've seen from them.

Wouldn't it be ironic that part of the deal is that they have to stay in the motel to oversee it at the ground level and represent the family friendly brand. And so much for Moira's attempt to escape from Schitt's Creek.

Wow Roland, for once he was lucid when he told those investers off. He may be a disaster but at least he's loyal.

Even if the Rose family can't all move to New York it does look like this might be where Alexis will find her calling.

Edited by redfish
  • Love 17

I will seriously hurt someone if David and Patrick break up!!!!!!! Though, hubby has been watching MASH and I'm getting a Klinger vibe, the one that wants to leave the most ends up staying because of spouse. Damn, I'm gonna miss this show.

• Love 1

Aww, it was sweet of Jocelyn to make enough signs for everyone to hold as they waved goodbye to Johnny, Roland, and Stevie.

I loved that Twyla's excitement about Johnny's trip to New York was the thought that they might go to the M&Ms store.

I really hope that the motel chain being funded isn't what causes a rift between David and Patrick. I understand where each of them is coming from. David, like the rest of his family, has yearned to get out of Schitt's Creek since arriving. But being there has made him really love them so I understand why he would want to go with them if they all leave.

Patrick, on the other hand, got blindsided by the idea that he would have to move his entire life somewhere else. He's perfectly happy where he is so it never crossed his mind that he and David would leave. And I totally understand why he's upset with David for making this decision without even discussing it with him. As always, David just assumes that he gets to do what he wants. As much as Patrick loves the Roses, this might be one of the few instances where he puts his foot down.

• Love 3

To Whom It May Concern - Oh Moira how I love you so.

And David just assuming he'd move with Alexis, at least he was also thinking about Patrick.  If those two brake up I'm going to be so angry.

You're damn right I am.

• Love 2

It's clear that Patrick is not 100% on board with the idea of moving away, but everyone is jumping the gun on this idea. Johnny & Co. hadn't even made their pitch before Moira started packing, Alexis followed her lead and then David jumped on the train. Johnny himself has never even suggested they might move so everyone is making assumptions.

I'm relatively confident this won't be a deal breaker for David and Patrick although I'm not sure where the show is going with this. If I had to guess, I'd say David winds up staying in Schitt's Creek, and I think it's likely Johnny and Moira will too. I think Alexis is the only one who benefits from moving to a big city.

A rare moment of redemption for Roland. It reminded me of the episode where Johnny and Moira ran into their old friends at a restaurant, who started making fun of Schitt's Creek until Johnny pointed out that Roland and Jocelyn were the only ones who had been their friends since they lost their money. For all their faults they've been there when it counted.

• Love 23

Since they made the deal with a yet to be formed company created by some of the associates, it won't have the investment value of what they had anticipated, so I doubt there will be a move to NYC.  Also, I think Johnny, Stevie, and Roland would be overseeing the renovations and all of the other ground work involved in this deal.  I anticipate they will stay in Schitt's Creek (somehow Moira will come around) with maybe the exception of Alexis.

And, I enjoyed Roland's comeback to the executives in the conference room.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

I feel like an idiot asking this so close to the end of the series, but the trip to the Big Red Delicious made me wonder: is Schitt's Creek [the town] in Canada or the US?

Its in Canada, Dan Levy kept it vague, but admitted that it is set in Canada, makes sense as its a Canadian produced show.

• Love 3

I particularly liked this episode, love them all, but this one was particularly delicious. Moments like Moira assuming the party is for her and cutting the cake, David assuming Patrick would be excited to move to NY, Johnny showing us a bit of the tycoon Rose of old.

Like many of you, I also think most of the Roses will stay in town, David and Patrick for their store, Johnny and Moira due to having to remain close to the product -roadside motels, to get the chain off the ground, and for promotion purposes. Plus Stevie and Roland are partners, I think the Rosebud will end up being corporate headquarters. Alexis may go, but I bet the plan will be for her to do the PR for the new company so she'll be back occasionally.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, willowk said:

Its in Canada, Dan Levy kept it vague, but admitted that it is set in Canada, makes sense as its a Canadian produced show.

If you watch with the closed captioning as I do, the spelling of some words is a clue, e.g., "cheque".  I think there have been a few spoken indicators (words and non-Moira pronunciations). Nothing jarring, however.

Way back in Season 1 I opined that they could never leave because if they did there'd be no show, a la Gilligan's Island.  I'm going to double down and say that they'll stay even though there soon will be no show regardless - I think that leaving wouldn't be true to the spirit of what the show is, and what (for me) makes it special.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 6

There is no way in hell that Dan Levy would choose to end the series without David and Patrick together. I can't even fathom that.

It was nice of Roland to stand up for Johnny, but I don't see what other choice he had. What was he going to do, agree with them that it was a terrible concept? I guess Roland just acknowledging something positive about Johnny is a step up for him. (In the end, I think the amount of screentime that character was given throughout the series will be seen as its biggest weakness, by far.)

Also, for the record, I think it is a terrible concept. Buy a shitload of roadside motels, make them cute - presumably all in the same way - and expect people to flock to them for a unique motel "experience?" There wouldn't be anything particularly unique about it. (Not that I expect the show to be in any way accurate about running a business. It's never been before.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

If you watch with the closed captioning as I do, the spelling of some words is a clue, e.g., "cheque".  I think there have been a few spoken indicators (words and non-Moira pronunciations). Nothing jarring, however.

Way back in Season 1 I opined that they could never leave because if they did there'd be no show, a la Gilligan's Island.  I'm going to double down and say that they'll stay even though there soon will be no show regardless - I think that leaving wouldn't be true to the spirit of what the show is, and what (for me) makes it special.

Dan said a while back that the Roses could reappear at some point, like a special update or reunion show. I know anything like that would be quite a ways out, but the fact that he said it means to me the show will end in a way that it would work to bring them back together. Think it makes sense that most of not all of them will discover the town is their home after all.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Also, for the record, I think it is a terrible concept. Buy a shitload of roadside motels, make them cute - presumably all in the same way - and expect people to flock to them for a unique motel "experience?"

Marketed properly by Alexis Rose Communications, the motel idea is a hipster goldmine. Buy ones near microbreweries, work out package tours or something, and watch the money roll on in . . . 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 23
On 3/24/2020 at 7:05 PM, redfish said:

The Rose family doing a prayer circle is the weirdest but the most in character thing I've seen from them.

Not only that, but Moira starting the "prayer" by saying "To whom it may concern". A perfect Moira line. The other one that made me laugh was when Jocelyn said that Roland in the suit looked just as good as he did years ago in one (to paraphrase). Moira replied that she was sure he looked as handsome as he ever has. As in, not at all. Priceless. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

Also, for the record, I think it is a terrible concept. Buy a shitload of roadside motels, make them cute - presumably all in the same way - and expect people to flock to them for a unique motel "experience?" There wouldn't be anything particularly unique about it. 

The math says they saw an increase in bookings after cleaning up the place by 400%. Now, in the case of the Rosebud motel, in Schitt's Creek, that could mean from one customer to four. 

But math-wise, the concept is sound. People are most likely to stay at a nearby motel if they know it is clean and nice, so by bringing all these motels together under one name they can establish a reputation, kind of like Howard Johnson's. You might not risk staying at some unknown roadside hole in the wall, but you'd be more willing to stay at a Rosebud Motel if they have a reputation of being nice motels.

Speaking of which, I have always wondered what's upstairs from the lobby of the Rosebud. There is a staircase behind the desk and they have never told us what's up there. I used to think Stevie lived up there, but establishing shots of an apartment building proved otherwise. I suppose it might be just an attic for storage but I've always been curious about it.

• Love 13
34 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The math says they saw an increase in bookings after cleaning up the place by 400%. Now, in the case of the Rosebud motel, in Schitt's Creek, that could mean from one customer to four. 

But math-wise, the concept is sound. People are most likely to stay at a nearby motel if they know it is clean and nice, so by bringing all these motels together under one name they can establish a reputation, kind of like Howard Johnson's. You might not risk staying at some unknown roadside hole in the wall, but you'd be more willing to stay at a Rosebud Motel if they have a reputation of being nice motels.

There are plenty of recognized budget motel chains out there already.

Buying hundreds of motels to create another chain, when you've only managed to successfully turn one motel around (is the second one even up and running?), isn't something that investors are going to be eager to hand over money for.

Especially when you famously handled your money so badly that one crooked employee managed to wipe you out completely, and you're now a walking joke.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

Well dang, it took until almost the end of the show, but I finally have a really good Roland moment. Definitely made me think of the scene way back when Johnny told off some of his old rich friends for making fun of Roland and Jocelyn.

Patrick is NOT thrilled about the prospect of moving to New York, especially David just springing it on him. I dont think that they are actually going to break up, especially after Alexis and Ted split just a few weeks ago, but this will certainly be an issue. I am guessing that David will end up staying in town with the shop, and will realize thats for the best anyway. If they do have some more money, at least they can travel! 

Rose family prayer circle!

• Love 4

Are there? The only budget-friendly places I can think of are technically hotels rather than motels. Anyway I'm thinking that what Johnny is shooting for is something new. Something that's more than just decent but known for higher end amenities like the soaps and lotions and things David sells. 

• Love 7
On 3/26/2020 at 1:54 PM, Blakeston said:

Buying hundreds of motels to create another chain, when you've only managed to successfully turn one motel around (is the second one even up and running?), isn't something that investors are going to be eager to hand over money for.

Especially when you famously handled your money so badly that one crooked employee managed to wipe you out completely, and you're now a walking joke.

I'm not sure this show has ever asked us to love it for its economic realism.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14
On 3/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, Blakeston said:

I figured it was more a case of misplaced trust - Johnny probably assumed that the person he had managing his finances was behaving ethically and legally, just as Johnny would have done. I hope that if he ever has that kind of money again he'll kind of spread the wealth, so to speak. Also, I would hope that he's more inclined to be an active participant in managing his own funds.

Also, I don't think Johnny is all that rare; there are enough stories of wealthy people blowing through their money or being bilked because they aren't involved in their own finances or they don't understand what they're doing or trusted the wrong people. Johnny Depp is one example...

I think there could be a niche market for the Rosebud chain, if managed and marketed well. Properly located and with the right vibe, Rosebud could be attractive to hipsters, etc. Consider the growth of glamping and places like Marfa Texas... I see the Rosebud as more than a budget chain.

• Love 5

I don’t think Schitts creek is in Canada. That would make no sense. You can’t just go and live in Canada and start a business if you aren’t a citizen and broke.

Liked the episode tho and Moira’s line when packing cracked up. Sad to see this show go.

55 minutes ago, Marley said:

I don’t think Schitts creek is in Canada. That would make no sense. You can’t just go and live in Canada and start a business if you aren’t a citizen and broke.

It is in Canada, though - as stated by the creators of the show.

There hasn't been any indication they aren't Canadian citizens. If you earn money in the US you pay US taxes - even as a Canadian citizen, so that doesn't change anything in the premise at all.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mledawn said:

It is in Canada, though - as stated by the creators of the show.

There hasn't been any indication they aren't Canadian citizens. If you earn money in the US you pay US taxes - even as a Canadian citizen, so that doesn't change anything in the premise at all.

I understand taxes but I guess I just always thought I remembered at the beginning they lived in the USA before they fleed but maybe I just made that up in my head.

6 hours ago, Marley said:

I understand taxes but I guess I just always thought I remembered at the beginning they lived in the USA before they fleed but maybe I just made that up in my head.

No, there are many Canadians living in the USA.

• Love 1
On 3/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, iMonrey said:

Are there? The only budget-friendly places I can think of are technically hotels rather than motels.

Motel 6 and Super 8 Motels are the best-known ones I can think of.

Johnny, Roland and Stevie are clearly aiming for a different type of customer than those chains, though - people who want a unique, "enjoy the local charm" kind of experience. My point is that if what they're going for is a really unique, "enjoy the local charm" kind of motel experience, mass-producing hundreds of them is a strange choice. Especially when they can only point to one motel they've successfully turned around that way.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Maysie said:

Also, I don't think Johnny is all that rare; there are enough stories of wealthy people blowing through their money or being bilked because they aren't involved in their own finances or they don't understand what they're doing or trusted the wrong people. Johnny Depp is one example...

Johnny Depp is down on his luck compared to his glory days, but he hasn't been literally homeless anytime recently, living off of the charity of a small-town mayor sparing him a motel room. What happened to the Roses is really exceptional, especially considering that Moira and Alexis have both been celebrities.

8 hours ago, Marley said:

We know that David had an apartment in New York for a while (although he was at home when the mansion was raided - whether he was visiting or had moved back is up in the air).

I don't recall there ever being an official reference to where the mansion was located.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

It really speaks to both the power of the material and Eugene Levy's performance that even after using Johnny's lines about what living in the motel has meant for him in all the final season's advertising, hearing it in context still got me in the feels.

• Love 6

I wonder if Mike will want to split off with Ruth and the other junior partners! She seems to respect his vibe but not the other jerks.

I love the concept of the ubiquity and reliable brand of a Motel 6 but the hipster/local vibe of a boutique hotel. The only boutique “chains” I know of have something like 6 or 8 properties, not thousands. If it gets off the ground the way they’re planning, Johnny and Stevie will be living in Schitt’s Creek in name only for a while, constantly traveling to open new locations. David, too, if he’s going to be sourcing local product for all the properties.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that Twyla's excitement about Johnny's trip to New York was the thought that they might go to the M&Ms store.

I can understand her excitement--despite having been to NYC many times and even walking by the M&Ms store, I've never actually gone in to the store. As a chocoholic and M&M lover, I am sorely tempted every time but so far have managed to resist. I hope we get to go back to NYC post-pandemic, and if the M&Ms store is still open, I will definitely go in and treat myself!

• Love 1