Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

if they could eliminate that silliness the whole show would get itself back on  track towards the great show that  I, and most original viewers fell in love with all those years ago.

The biggest "silliness" they need to eliminate is the Whisperers themselves. I couldn't get past Negan playing "Peek-A-Boo" with a walker simply but donning his mask then being quiet then making noise. Walker was all "huh? where human? oh wait, there human." Give me a break. I don't get how the show can just throw eight seasons of walker rules out the window and expect us to buy it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As long as there is action going on I don't mind the Whisperers staying around longer.  I just hope that there won't be a Beta/Nagen fight scene.  There is no way that would look good at all.

Keeping bad guys on at the expanse of the good guys hasn't worked for this show in years. The good guys all look like morons for over a Season while the bad guys succeed only because the good guys are too stupid to be believable as human beings. And the bad guys have plot armor on top of it. It's past cringe at this point.

Maybe he was aiming for tall dark and gruesome (Beta) and missed?  I was hoping that he would have wounded Beta, not necessarily kill him.  That would have added some tension, and Alden wouldn't have looked like a complete putz.

No he wasn't. He made a perfect headshot on Gamma. Which was astounding because from the angle they showed him, a front headshot was impossible (and not just because Beta's body would prevent such a shot). He made the balls to the wall idiotic decision to shoot a zombie instead of aiming a little higher and burying an arrow in Beta's neck.

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Come on, show! You CGI in great gobs of blood flying four feet in all directions from a headshot, people bleeding out more blood than a hippo has, yet Carol got socked mighty hard, enough for her teeth to cut her cheek inside her mouth and form one hell of a nasty bruise and swelling, yet nothing. She didn't even fall.

Wait for the reveal that actual Carol was switched without anyone noticing and replaced with a malfunctioning (hence the erratic behavior) robot by whatever new community gets introduced next. Heck maybe Maggie's new pack has a genius among them and she has been snatching people and replacing them. Next Season is absolutely going to be survivors vs their robot versions.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Smad said:

He made the balls to the wall idiotic decision to shoot a zombie instead of aiming a little higher and burying an arrow in Beta's neck.

That's a great point.  Clearly he is a great shot.  He could have rid them of a big threat and dealt with Walker Gamma at his leisure.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

My first thought was that Carol had taken plenty of hits like that from her late husband, so a punch from Yamiko (sp) wasn't going to phase her.

Taking hits in the past doesn't protect you from any injuries from new hits. Just ask any boxer. 😄 You still get swelling, bruising and bleeding, unless Carol has grown a new layer of skin impervious to injury

15 minutes ago, Smad said:

Heck maybe Maggie's new pack has a genius among them and she has been snatching people and replacing them.

That makes as much sense as anything else.

12 minutes ago, Smad said:

Keeping bad guys on at the expanse of the good guys hasn't worked for this show in years. The good guys all look like morons for over a Season while the bad guys succeed only because the good guys are too stupid to be believable as human beings.

Seriously. They made Rick into bumbling clown in order to keep Kirkman's alter ego/idol around. They made Daryl a fool by him assuming Beta was dead after a fall and running away instead of making sure Chewie was dead.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I agree.  Except that I think that is exactly the way Alpha would have liked to die, being eaten by Walkers.

I doubt it. The concept may sound noble to someone who speaks in butchered Shakspearean nonsense, but the reality of being torn apart while alive would be a very different prospect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

Wow I have not been paying attention.... Yumiko and Magna are/were a couple??!! 

Yeah. We saw them bickering a lot about... stuff, like I think Magma was a murderer or something(?) and never told Yumiko in all these years and they argued about it or something. I dunno. I think I dozed off during this confrontation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Taking hits in the past doesn't protect you from any injuries from new hits. Just ask any boxer. 😄 You still get swelling, bruising and bleeding, unless Carol has grown a new layer of skin impervious to injury

I get that, but it was still only one punch from someone who probably has lessor upper body strength than that douche she was married to. What I felt was more important was how she took it. Similar to Daryl or Merle taking a punch in the same circumstances. There wouldn't be much flinching. 

8 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yeah. We saw them bickering a lot about... stuff, like I think Magma was a murderer or something(?) and never told Yumiko in all these years and they argued about it or something. I dunno. I think I dozed off during this confrontation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's foggy with me too. Something about a murder or bad lawyering.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I get that, but it was still only one punch from someone who probably has lessor upper body strength than that douche she was married to. What I felt was more important was how she took it. Similar to Daryl or Merle taking a punch in the same circumstances. There wouldn't be much flinching. 

It's foggy with me too. Something about a murder or bad lawyering.

I think it was Magna had pled innocence to the crime while Yumiko was defending her as her lawyer. But she had led Yumiko to believe she was actually innocent. It wasn't until all these years later into their relationship that Magna confessed to actually committing the crime, which I believe was murdering someone who had molested someone close to her? I remember watching that scene, but the details are foggy.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

He made the balls to the wall idiotic decision to shoot a zombie instead of aiming a little higher and burying an arrow in Beta's neck.

How would Alden know it was Beta though? Do the Hilltoppers at large even know who the hell Beta is? How do they identify these people when they're all wearing dead skin masks? Now granted it could be any Whisperer and Alden should still have prioritized him/her instead of Gamma, but I myself cannot identify Beta on sight. He just looks like any other Whisperer to me. If he has some other identifying quality I'm not aware of it.

Wait for the reveal that actual Carol was switched without anyone noticing and replaced with a malfunctioning (hence the erratic behavior) robot by whatever new community gets introduced next. 

Hmm. That robot theory is really gaining ground.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

If he has some other identifying quality I'm not aware of it.

He's a large, towering being. I'm not one to assign attributes of actors to their characters but Ryan Hurst is 6ft 4 therefore Beta is also 6ft 4. Alden may not know who Beta is or that he was responsible for the midnight massacre but there is no mistaking Beta for another whisperer

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, gutbuster said:

I think it was Magna had pled innocence to the crime while Yumiko was defending her as her lawyer. But she had led Yumiko to believe she was actually innocent. It wasn't until all these years later into their relationship that Magna confessed to actually committing the crime, which I believe was murdering someone who had molested someone close to her? I remember watching that scene, but the details are foggy.

Yeah, it was something like that. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

Similar to Daryl or Merle taking a punch in the same circumstances. There wouldn't be much flinching. 

Yes, but Daryl and Merle - big strong men. Carol is a tiny little woman. Yumiko may not have the upper body strength or power of a man, but she's pretty strong looking, completely caught Carol off-guard and hit her with all her might. At the least she(Carol) should have fallen or displayed pain. She just stood there like it was nothing.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Smad said:

Heck maybe Maggie's new pack has a genius among them and she has been snatching people and replacing them. Next Season is absolutely going to be survivors vs their robot versions.

Our community has a resident genius also.  Maybe Eugene is building the robots.  But I hope he did a better job on that than he did on that electrified fence.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

The only upside of Carol's teaming up with Negan is that they could both have Beta hulking around the woods looking to get revenge for the loss of his dreamgirl.  THAT would serve them both right.

We could have had a very nice  2 for 1 special (Alpha and Beta) if the kid (don't know his name) didn't waste his one shot on Gamma. The target on Beta's back was right there!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 5

Very, very disappointed that "Talking Dead" was a no go. I hate to be a whiner....BUT... they showed up on "The View" today so...I'm just sayin'.....

It would have been an excellent show. Lots of interesting people on the couch and I would have loved to hear what Samantha had to say and I would have loved to hear more about this pretty shocking plot twist that I did NOT see coming. It would have been a kick ass episode for sure.

I thought for a moment that Negan and Alpha were going to get it on again. This was better. Way better!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

According to the ‘WD Geeks,’ the end scene with Carol and Negan was the first time they’ve ever worked together on screen.

Thanks, I guess I am mixing up with something else. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I find it hilarious that the guy only recognised Bayda when a bit of skin mask was ripped off, he said the voice sounded familiar, but how many 6’5” guys with gold teeth are there out there? 🙄

So I take it you’ve never been to Detroit....  😆

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Was thinking same. Come on, show! You CGI in great gobs of blood flying four feet in all directions from a headshot, people bleeding out more blood than a hippo has, yet Carol got socked mighty hard, enough for her teeth to cut her cheek inside her mouth and form one hell of a nasty bruise and swelling, yet nothing. She didn't even fall.

He didn't have to beat her up. He could have hobbled her and summoned the walkers to tear her apart and give her a taste of her own medicine. But, oh, I forgot. We're supposed to see Negan as a good guy now, so he swiftly and kindly killed her, showing this monster way more compassion than he ever did to anyone else, including a doctor, a young girl and Coral. "Negan, the Merciful!" Sorry, I'm not buying it. Except for the baby killing, he's nearly as monstrous as Awful was.  Maybe his expression of regret was just because there will be no more of those "crass rewards."

😆

Both of these instances is the bullshit this show keeps throwing at us.  SAINT CAROL couldn't possibly react to being cold-cocked by a woman who looks like she can throw a punch.  Carol barely even flinched.  Between her plot armour and her permanent halo, I'm surprised that Yumiko's blow even landed.

I'm not surprised that Negan is teaming up with Carol.  I guess tptb think some of her saintliness will rub off on him.  He has his own plot armour.  If St. Carol thinks Negan is okay, who are we to remember all the people he's murdered and tortured.  Or all the women he raped.

I never liked Carol, so as Hall and Oates said, 'I DON'T GO FOR THAT'.

8 hours ago, Nashville said:

They're better looking and BETTER DRESSED in Detroit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

How would Alden know it was Beta though? Do the Hilltoppers at large even know who the hell Beta is? How do they identify these people when they're all wearing dead skin masks? Now granted it could be any Whisperer and Alden should still have prioritized him/her instead of Gamma, but I myself cannot identify Beta on sight. He just looks like any other Whisperer to me. If he has some other identifying quality I'm not aware of it.

Because Beta is a freaking giant? Who in the communities do they have who is that tall and broad? I can't think of a single one. And am I to believe that these people were never briefed on the leadership of the Whisperers? No one told them 'ok, Alpha's second in command is a GIANT...shoot on sight'?

• Love 6

He's a large, towering being. I'm not one to assign attributes of actors to their characters but Ryan Hurst is 6ft 4 therefore Beta is also 6ft 4. Alden may not know who Beta is or that he was responsible for the midnight massacre but there is no mistaking Beta for another whisperer

For one thing size is a matter of perspective and it's difficult to judge on TV unless you have comparison. Beta standing by himself in the woods doesn't read as 6'4". He could be a foot shorter or a foot taller for all I can tell. As for characters recognizing him, how many Whisperers are there, and how familiar with all of them are those characters? Are they supposed to recognize Beta on sight because "Oh, it's the tall one?" So they already know every other Whisperer is shorter? That suggests they have quite a familiarity with the totality of the Whisperers. More than I do, that's for sure.

I get that I'm supposed to recognize who Beta is. And I do, when he's put in some sort of context, like when he's having a conversation with Alpha or Gamma. But if you just showed me a picture of him or something, I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a lineup. I sense the show expects me to be more familiar with Ryan Hurst than I am. The fact is I have never seen his face, and the Whisperer masks all look alike.

• Love 3

Even if Alden didn't know  who Beta is, does it matter? Do they need to ID each of the Whisperers before killing them? They never see their faces, but know who they are if they're wearing their silly masks. Alden knew that was one of them, and one who had obviously killed Mary so he should have shot him instead of the corpse who could do them no harm.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Even if Alden didn't know  who Beta is, does it matter?

Exactly, anyone that size is going to be a danger, I’m sure the guy’s reputation and description has been spread all around the communities, it would be very remiss of the leaders to not warn their people about the Whisperers most dangerous threat. Alden knew how tall Mary was, it would have been quite obvious as to how huge the ‘JGG’ was in comparison.

11 hours ago, Nashville said:

“Bad, bad Leroy Brown” or was that Chicago 😋

• LOL 2
On 3/16/2020 at 11:25 PM, gutbuster said:

remember watching that scene, but the details are foggy.

It was Magna’s young female cousin that was murdered.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2020 at 9:39 AM, OoohMaggie said:

According to the ‘WD Geeks,’ the end scene with Carol and Negan was the first time they’ve ever worked together on screen.

Makes sense that they'd keep them apart during the Saviors storyline.  If Carol didn't kill Negan on sight, it would hurt her image as a badass.  It wouldn't wash with the character.  Negan would likely respect Carol, but Carol would kill him without a second thought.

But it looks like Carol currently has some respect for Negan, since they're working together.  Or she is at least using him to achieve what she wants.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Even if Alden didn't know  who Beta is, does it matter? Do they need to ID each of the Whisperers before killing them? They never see their faces, but know who they are if they're wearing their silly masks. Alden knew that was one of them, and one who had obviously killed Mary so he should have shot him instead of the corpse who could do them no harm.

Well I made that point earlier. I'm not trying to excuse Alden's reaction. My issue is that I think the show expects me to recognize Beta on sight and I don't, necessarily, depending on the circumstances. It's a symptom of a larger problem everyone has noticed with the show. Tons of characters, but we don't know who half of them are. By the same token, I'm not clear on who knows who, including who knows who the hell Beta is. It's another example of the show thinking I'm as jazzed about some of these characters as they are ["everybody loves Jadis!"). 

• Love 2

Sometimes the writers are trying to be too clever for their own good. In the final scene when we were to believe that Frodo, Sam, uh, I mean Alpha’s daughter was in the room that the Ring Wraiths..uh..I mean Alpha was approaching, the fake out was ruined by having Negan walking behind her with his hand on the hilt of his knife. Whether the daughter was in the room or not, I knew he was going to kill her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/16/2020 at 12:56 AM, RedDelicious said:

Alpha with a clean face is quite pretty. Samantha Morton has good skin. No pun intended 😬

I’m guessing the Carol/Negan agreement was we need to take her down and whoever can get it done first, do it.

I’m scared for next week ☹️

I was really taken aback at SM’s eyes in her final scene. They’re gorgeous. 

Bye bye Mary Gamma. I’d have liked to have seen more of you but it was not meant to be.

Was Eugene just gonna bumble off with no supplies or weapons to meet up with his new friend? 

I’ll give a slow clap to Negan for taking care of business. I suppose Alpha couldn’t be Lucille’d if he needed an intact head to show off. 

Really bummed that Hilltop is toast. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

Was Eugene just gonna bumble off with no supplies or weapons to meet up with his new friend? 

Bumbling off with no supplies or weapons was good enough for Aaron. Let's just hope Eugene doesn't also end up thrashing around in a puddle, dehydrated.

Did Alden see Beta kill Gamma? 

I"m not sure. I'd have to look again, but Beta was there with her as she lay against the tree with fresh blood pouring from her wound so I imagine Alden could have assumed Chewie killed her? Even if he didn't, he knows these people beheaded his girlfriend Enid, so that alone should be enough for him to just shoot Beta? It's all so dumb.

Carol should have been a bloody mess, and knocked to the ground by that punch.

Why are they making Carol, who is past middle age and very small, some kind of superhero? It looks ridiculous. Yumiko is not tiny and looks pretty fit and that roundhouse punch would have staggered a big guy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

We saw them in bed at one point.  They got into a fight, and one of them walked out.  I think it was Magna.  I believe that was back when the walkers got inside the house/mansion at Hilltop.

Yep I have not been paying attention!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Hmm. That robot theory is really gaining ground.

If this was Z Nation, they would take it and run with it.

As for Beta, a few episodes ago when he clawed himself out of the grave in silhouette, he was immediately recognizable, so I don't think he's that hard to identify.  But even if he was just a run of the mill Whisperer, why would Alden shoot Walker Gamma over his shoulder?  Maybe to put her out of her "misery", and to deprive the Whisperers of a weapon. 

But I still say shoot the Whisperer first, and take out the walker at your leisure.  Unless Alden was just using mercy, and didn't want to kill a human.  Which is always possible, even though they're at war.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, BellyLaughter said:

Yep I have not been paying attention!

Not your fault. We get scenes of random bickering inserted about some long-ago, meaningless (to us) issue in the lives of characters about whom we know nothing yet about whom we're supposed to care, so I'm also not paying attention to this although I know TPTB think it's revelatory and maybe even riveting. 

8 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Unless Alden was just using mercy, and didn't want to kill a human.  Which is always possible, even though they're at war.

If that's true, he's become just as mush-brained as nearly everyone else. Or maybe he's just slavishly following the Word of Coral and Rick.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

They're better looking and BETTER DRESSED in Detroit.

So I take it you’ve never been to a Red Wings game....  🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • LOL 4

Bye bye Mary Gamma. I’d have liked to have seen more of you but it was not meant to be.

Maybe Thora Birch wasn't interested in a multiple seasons role, I don't know. But doesn't it seem like the show did a much better job introducing and developing this character than they have with Luke, Magna, Connie, Kelly and Yumiko? I have to force myself just to learn their damn names, they are so uninteresting, and I still feel like I know relatively little about them. Why is that? Clearly they are meant to take over for other main characters that have left the show and yet I care nothing for any of them.

Did Alden see Beta kill Gamma? 

No, they were alone in the woods.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, Iguessnot said:

Those popped up unexpectedly. However I couldn't determine what they were flinging,

Regarding the ammo used in Hilltops catapults.....

Fetchez la vache! 

anyone?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Pixiebomb said:

Regarding the ammo used in Hilltops catapults.....

Fetchez la vache! 

anyone?

I used to play the Cow Flinging game online. It was fun, even though it often told me, "You fling like a Norweigen."

• LOL 1
On 3/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, Iguessnot said:

Those popped up unexpectedly. However I couldn't determine what they were flinging,

IIRC, it was Earl who wanted to start building catapults at Hilltop. I believe it was after the Whisperers kind of dropped a tree on one of the perimeter fences in the first half of the season.

I've been liking this season for the most part. I'm not going to miss Alpha at all, as much as I've always previously liked Samantha Morton's acting. I think the Whisperers were much more frightening before we got up close and personal with them; but I admit that in big action scenes, I still get freaked out when a "walker" suddenly pull a combat move.

As to Magna shuffling along with the walkers while only having blood on her face, we have seen Lydia shambling along while clean-faced, wearing clean clothes and getting no response from the surrounding walkers. I guess attitude counts for a lot.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, maystone said:

I believe it was after the Whisperers kind of dropped a tree on one of the perimeter fences in the first half of the season.

Oh, yes: The tree that magically appeared full-sized, like a Jack and the Beanstalk moment, that the Whisperers had to spend some time sawing down with no one inside hearing or seeing a thing during this process. Okay, that was pretty funny. It would have been even funnier if they dropped a safe or a piano on someone but we can't have everything we want.

21 minutes ago, maystone said:

As to Magna shuffling along with the walkers while only having blood on her face, we have seen Lydia shambling along while clean-faced, wearing clean clothes and getting no response from the surrounding walkers. I guess attitude counts for a lot.

She was talking too. It seems you just need to put your arms in front of you, bend your wrists, walk stiff-legged and presto! You're invisible. All these New Rules leave me confused.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, diebartdie said:

No, he wasn't the patient, his best friend (or brother or lover, not clear) was a patient at the mental facility and Beta was visiting him when the ZA suddenly appeared.

Yikes, that episode seems like it was ages ago, and apparently I still haven't figured out what was going on in it.  I'm not blaming this on my stupidity this time, I'm pinning it on the writers for not making it more clear.  

• Love 2

Huh. I forgot to watch again. And of course, it looks like one that I should hate-watch??Don't know if I have the energy. Maybe I'll just take what I need from this thread and try to remember to watch the next one...

• Love 1

The aftermath of the fall of Hilltop reminded me of the fall of the prison in that people fled in some groups and had their own adventures before meeting up again.  And, because it reminded me of that episode it saddened me as those were such good episodes.  The Claimers?  Brilliant and scary.  The Whisperers?  Never made sense.  Yep, let's live in muck, the middle of hoards, drinking contaminated water, etc.  Who would ever want to live in homes and communities?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

The Claimers?  Brilliant and scary. 

Yes! They were really scary, with no gimmicks either.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

The Whisperers?  Never made sense. 

They make even less sense the Garbage People, and that took some doing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

The aftermath of the fall of Hilltop reminded me of the fall of the prison in that people fled in some groups and had their own adventures before meeting up again.  And, because it reminded me of that episode it saddened me as those were such good episodes.  

Yeah that's why I said this episode felt more old-school TWD. And I think if they really pared down the cast to a few manageable groups it would go a long way towards helping the audience get to know some of these characters that have been on the show for awhile now and yet still don't feel fully fleshed out.

That, and of course they need to drop the Whisperers, stat. 

It might also help make Negan more viable as a character too, oddly enough. If he's just part of a small group that has to rely on him for protection and help there would at least be a reason to keep him around. If they have these large communities though it doesn't make any sense to keep him around after everything he's done.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The aftermath of the of Hilltop reminded me of the fall of the prison in that people fled in some groups and had their own adventures before meeting up again.  And, because it reminded me of that episode it saddened me as those were such good episodes.  The Claimers?  Brilliant and scary.  The Whisperers?  Never made sense.  Yep, let's live in muck, the middle of hoards, drinking contaminated water, etc.  Who would ever want to live in homes and communities?

God, those were good days weren't they? I think I might even be willing to tolerate a little bit of Beth if it meant I'd never have to see Lydia again. 

The Claimers WERE brilliant.  And what's even more important is they MADE SENSE.  The Claimers were a believable result of the ZA, not some bullshit like the Whisperers.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

God, those were good days weren't they? I think I might even be willing to tolerate a little bit of Beth if it meant I'd never have to see Lydia again. 

The Claimers WERE brilliant.  And what's even more important is they MADE SENSE.  The Claimers were a believable result of the ZA, not some bullshit like the Whisperers.

Why? Why did you have to make me actually miss *Beth* (shudder). Not cool Mightysparrow, not cool! 

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Oh, hell yes! I was on the edge of my seat during their segments. I found them much more frightening than people in dumps making tacky craft fair items and doing formation drills, or weirdos who wear magic skin masks that make them invisible to walkers. I could easily visualize running into the Claimers. The others - no way. Not scary or believable in the least.

• Love 2