Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E14: John Mulaney/David Byrne

• Start Topic

Awww, the monologue ending was so funny *and* sweet.  Little girl on a "Make-a-Wish" visit chooses Mulaney ("but you can find me on the 405, I'm around...") and gets to meet Lin-Manuel Miranda during the day ("I don't know if he goes by 'Lin' or 'Lin-Manuel', but sure, let's meet him - Oh, LIN-<manuel>").   Then her confessing that LIN-<manuel> had been her first choice.  Just Awww.  And the "LIN-<manuel>" was perfect.

• Love 20
(edited)
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

It may just be the Gen X in me, but David Byrne was OFF THE CHARTS AMAZING.

So happy I recorded that.

OMG.  Byrne was fantastic!!  This is what I needed in my life right now.

"Same as it ever was.  Same as it ever was.  Same. As. It. Ever. Was."

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 21
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Heads up . . . annual epic John Mulaney sketch coming up . . .

OMG - airport sushi. Which means nothing to you all, but is deeply personal to me.  This is epic!!!

And...it branched out so far from just airport sushi.  Brilliant!

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

OMG - airport sushi. Which means nothing to you all, but is deeply personal to me.  This is epic!!!

. . . which spun into an extended slam on LaGuardia. I'm guessing it is that bad. . . but I haven't been flying in ages.

"Auntie Orphan Anne!!"

• Love 7
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Airport sushi *was* epic!  And it wasn't even deeply personal to me!  What was that, six Broadway shows?  And David Byrne as the straight man/baggage handler?  (I got "Phantom," "West Side Story," "Annie," "Wicked," and a couple more...)

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I just heard that in a commercial for The Hunters. Close enough?

Yep, I heard it there, too !

Definitely close enough ! 👍🏽👍🏽

Edited by SiouxB
  • Love 3

Also David Byrne is fucking incredible! Hands down the most enjoyable musical performances I’ve seen on the show in years. Watching the performances was so much fun - and that’s usually when I’m taking my breaks during the show.

• Love 23
(edited)

That was actually incredible.  I'm never going to get over Jake Gyllenhaal and David Byrne!

Mulaney was great.  

I loved Bowen singing his song "Profiled Asian".  He's such a good singer!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 20

John Mulaney just brings out the best in this show.  I hope he continues to show up at least once every season.

And, we may have to try to see the David Byrne show on Broadway in the fall.

• Love 19
17 minutes ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

Okay what songs were parodied by the baby and the very last song? I recognised all the others

Baby: "Cool" from "West Side Story." Last song: "Road to Nowhere," Talking Heads

• Love 4
(edited)

John Mulaney wore a t-shirt that read TORONTO for the goodbyes.  He had to reschedule his stand up show here three times, the third because he got called to do SNL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Heads up . . . annual epic John Mulaney sketch coming up . . .

This may be my favorites skit of all time.  Montage of musical hits (I see you Suddenly Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors) as an ode to the plight of airplane travelers.

Jake Gyllanhaal doing a Wicked turn??!! OMG.

And of course we end with David Byrne doing a parody of On the Road to Nowhere with On a Plane to Nowhere.  

I am not worthy

• Love 13

Bowen Yang can sing! 

The costumes for the Sound of Music sketch were spot on. 

The way that Aidy and Kate laugh during the Sisters sketches make me wonder if sometimes things are surprises to them. It's really the only part of those sketches that I like. 

I enjoy Che more when he's drinking. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

LOL, John Mulaney is the bestest.

This beyond made up for all the crappy episodes of the season. Which was basically all of them.

Also, thank you for Alex Moffat in a chubby rat costume.

Airport sushi, you are the best skit since diner lobster Les Mis! 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

Jake Gyllanhaal doing a Wicked turn??!! OMG.

When he walked out attached to wires, I admit I was expecting a Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark disaster to go along with his "musical guy who can't make music happen" persona from Sack Bunch Lunch.

7 minutes ago, Mystery said:

The way that Aidy and Kate laugh during the Sisters sketches make me wonder if sometimes things are surprises to them. It's really the only part of those sketches that I like. 

This one didn't work so well for me, but I do love the one with Jennifer Lopez. When I saw the black and white color scheme I was hoping for a sequel to the noir where Kate McKinnon and John Mulaney have no chemistry.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well that was fun and energetic.

Loved John's monologue, Airport Sushi, and of course David Byrne for the fucking win!

Weekend Update was certainly interesting this week. I will say Che is badly fooling himself if he thinks he's been pretending to care about politics.  Che, just let Chris Redd do it. We need a lot more political commentary and analysis from Big Redd. He was fantastic.

On Airport Sushi, I was in heaven when Mulaney started in on "....to be in LaGuardia..."

Hey, you're Jake Gyllenhaal!

The only things I didn't care for were the Cold Open, and that Sisters sketch....was annoying.

When is a non-debate sketch actually a debate sketch? That was a freaking mess. You don't always need to work everything. I knew they would work Warren going after Bloomberg in, but that it didn't come close to the venom in real life. Come to think of it, neither did Amy and Pete's disdain for each other. So Biden is going to be played by committee, but nice to see Larry David is going along for however long the ride takes him. I could tell he was having fun tonight.

Off to re-watch David Byrne again.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 10.21.26 PM.png

That was funny as well, and it let me know that Pete was there for whatever epic sketch John had.

I take it you can generate memes off that picture?

16 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

And how could I forget - "It's Fiddler on the Roof for Wasps - The Sound of Music" 

I couldn't stop laughing at that. As much as I love that movie, I have to admit that description sums it up perfectly.

The airport skit was priceless, especially the "Plane To Nowhere" parody.

Speaking of which, my only disappointment was that there wasn't a performance of "Road To Nowhere" during the musical segments. I was looking forward to it.

• Love 4
(edited)

John Mulaney is adorable. Arguably the best non-basketball related thing going for March since St. Patrick's Day.

David Byrne's epic performance of "Once In A Lifetime" had me barefooting with the rest of the band.

I heart Jake Gyllenhaal.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 11

On these John Mulaney shows, ALL I need is his monologue and one of his now-classic musical riff sketches, and I’m more than good, and he sure delivered on those two tonight!

I’m pretty sure I was just sitting there with a stupid grin on my face through the whole LaGuardia sketch, even as I PTSD-flashbacked to being forced to buy an ugly $50 turquoise “New York” sweatshirt at one of those Hudson News kiosks on one sad day of broken HVAC and 5+ hour flight delays—good times).  What place there sells sushi of all things, though?  I shudder to think.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I’m from Minnesota, so I have great appreciation for Amy Klobuchar’s “I am from Minnesota, so I will cut you ... in line at Target.” (Also always flew out of JFK when I lived in Brooklyn and tried not to wince when my friend told me we were flying in and out of LGA on a trip he booked)

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Would anyone be kind enough to list where all the airport sushi song parodies were from? I knew a few, but not all. I need to turn on CC for those sketches. Cecily, Bowen, and John enunciate well, but I thought others got swallowed up in the music and it was hard to catch all the lyrics.

• Love 1
(edited)

Phantom of the Opera (Phantom of the Opera)

America (West Side Story)

Tomorrow (Annie)

Cool (West Side Story)

Defying Gravity (Wicked)

Suddenly Seymour (Little Shop of Horrors)

Road to Nowhere (Talking Heads)

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7

I can see why this was cut but I like the concept and the performances (especially from Ego). Nice to see John playing against type. Beck looks very hot. 

Another one:

They should have kept this one in. Great performances, tight writing, perfect John showcase, and much less meandering than many sketches now. Has a '90s feel, with Phil Hartman in the host role. I would have just dumped the closeups.

• Love 7

Confession here, while I was never a Hugh David Byrne fan ( more into Madonna and Whitney at that time) his music was always a background to my college years. Loved seeing him tonight and thought he brought it big time but I was wondering why they booked a musical guest with songs from 30+ years ago. Don’t get me wrong, it spoke directly to my fifty-something year old self but I do wonder what the younger generations think. I wasn’t sure why he was on but if he’s in Mulaney’s show it makes sense. Another unpopular opinion is that the LaGuardia sketch was enjoyable but it will never approach the brilliance of lobster Les Miz which had a defined storyline with a beginning, middle and end. This was more a series of funny observations strung together. I thought the Admiral sketch was somewhat homophobic and offensive. The Sound of Music skit was a winner and Mulaney’s monologues are killer but I didn’t find anything memorable. The only other sketch I even remember was Kyle’s taped one. Loves Alex as the random rat although until about half way through the sketch I kept wondering why there was a random bear in the sketch. Then I saw the tail and I got it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Psychobunny said:

Loved seeing him tonight and thought he brought it big time but I was wondering why they booked a musical guest with songs from 30+ years ago. Don’t get me wrong, it spoke directly to my fifty-something year old self but I do wonder what the younger generations think.

He has a Broadway show, which I assume he was promoting.  (I don't live in New York and thus, haven't seen it.)

And I can be the grumpy, get off my lawn guy who says at least the younger generations get to appreciate good music for a change! Kidding!(kinda).

• Love 4