Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E14: John Mulaney/David Byrne

• Start Topic

On 3/1/2020 at 3:56 AM, Psychobunny said:

Confession here, while I was never a Hugh David Byrne fan ( more into Madonna and Whitney at that time) his music was always a background to my college years. Loved seeing him tonight and thought he brought it big time but I was wondering why they booked a musical guest with songs from 30+ years ago. Don’t get me wrong, it spoke directly to my fifty-something year old self but I do wonder what the younger generations think. I wasn’t sure why he was on but if he’s in Mulaney’s show it makes sense. Another unpopular opinion is that the LaGuardia sketch was enjoyable but it will never approach the brilliance of lobster Les Miz which had a defined storyline with a beginning, middle and end. This was more a series of funny observations strung together. I thought the Admiral sketch was somewhat homophobic and offensive. The Sound of Music skit was a winner and Mulaney’s monologues are killer but I didn’t find anything memorable. The only other sketch I even remember was Kyle’s taped one. Loves Alex as the random rat although until about half way through the sketch I kept wondering why there was a random bear in the sketch. Then I saw the tail and I got it.

The Admiral sketch is one of those weird examples of SNL's confused history of presenting gay content. I'm fairly sure it was written by James Anderson *, who is a gay man, He has put this type of camp on SNL for 20 years now (remember Gays in Space? That was him). In past years, we likely would have had "comedy" with Beck and John awkwardly pushing their faces together as the audience leered and jeered. We also likely would have had John in booty shorts and lisping and putting his finger to his mouth. If I closed my eyes I could see Seth Meyers or Will Forte in that exact type of role. In that sense, the show has come a long way,, but there's still nothing particularly funny for me. The JLo version of the sketch worked because it was new, and the Admiral's involvement was the punch line. This veered between Kate and Aidy doing their usual Kate and Aidy routine to the gay jokes and it just didn't work for me.

There were parts of this episode that I enjoyed (the meme sketch, Weekend Update, parts of the airport sketch, etc.), but Mulaney having less involvement in the sketches (presumably because his booking was fairly last minute) meant that I felt like he was just dropped into the night, which meant he could do nothing to help the same sketch pacing and structure problems and cast usage problems that have popped up. I wanted to enjoy the episode a fair amount more than I did, just tune in and enjoy myself. Sadly I couldn't.

I'd been more positive about the cast use, this season but episodes like this bring it all back - Melissa barely appears, Heidi gets thankless roles, Alex barely appears, etc. I feel like Alex in particular has been badly wasted this season, probably because they have had the most male hosts of any season in well over a decade, and in this era, the host takes a central role in pretty much everything (in this episode even the cold open). I know not everyone can have a role in an episode, but nights like this I feel like I've seen so much of certain cast members that I almost never want to see them again. It's a shame because John's other episodes were much more generous in spreading the wealth. I guess that's because he had more of a say. 

*I was wrong, apparently it was written by Alison Gates, Anna Drezen, and Kate and Aidy...Alison does write a lot with James so I will just pretend I was correct...

• Love 4
8 hours ago, saoirse said:

Also David Byrne is fucking incredible! Hands down the most enjoyable musical performances I’ve seen on the show in years. Watching the performances was so much fun - and that’s usually when I’m taking my breaks during the show.

First time I didn’t ff through the musical performances. So good. 

• Love 13

The airport sketch was brilliant. Just brilliant. And I say that as someone who doesn’t like musicals. The lyrics and real life examples of stuff that happens was tremendous. And then adding David Byrne. This is a classic sketch right now.

It was odd Byrne did a 70s Talking Heads’ song for his first number. I’ve always loved the song, but hasn’t he been doing a lot more music since then? The second number was more what I expected. I don’t know who the other folks on the stage are, is that his touring group?

2 minutes ago, Ottis said:

It was odd Byrne did a 70s Talking Heads’ song for his first number. I’ve always loved the song, but hasn’t he been doing a lot more music since then? The second number was more what I expected. I don’t know who the other folks on the stage are, is that his touring group?

I was even more impressed when Byrne held that arched back position towards the end of the first song.  Dude is 67.

Overall, this was one of the best episodes since the last John Mulaney episode.  Go March !

The sound guys on SNL continue to suck -- just turn up the level on David Byrne's microphone already.  The vocals always seem to get drowned out on this show.

• Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Confession here, while I was never a Hugh David Byrne fan ( more into Madonna and Whitney at that time) his music was always a background to my college years. Loved seeing him tonight and thought he brought it big time but I was wondering why they booked a musical guest with songs from 30+ years ago. Don’t get me wrong, it spoke directly to my fifty-something year old self but I do wonder what the younger generations think.

Once in a Lifetime is pretty ubiquitous.  It's in 13 Going on 30, Hot Tub Time Machine, the new Dynasty, the movie Rock Star, Secret Window.  (So, a lot of 80s nostalgia pieces).

That being said, who cares what the younger generations think?  90% of the musical guests on SNL are catered to them.

Personally I'm a lot happier when the musical guest is someone iconic, rather than a flash in the pan / trend "of the moment".  I always think of such examples as MIMS doing "This is why I'm hot" or Ashley Simpson doing that lipsyncing episode.  What the hell is Lorne Michaels doing booking what barely qualify as one hit wonders on the show?  I'd rather it be older musical icons every single week, but I'm dreaming.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 18
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Once in a Lifetime" was released in 1981.

Speaking of recent quality SNL episodes - I feel like everyone's forgotten about Eddie Murphy's.

The album on which “Once in a Lifetime” can be found was released in 1980, if we’re nitpicking.

I don’t think anyone has forgotten about an episode from December (December, right?).  Saying one episode was great doesn’t take away from another episode. That ep also had a great musical guest, Lizzo.

Aside from the airport sketch, this ep was ok IMO. I didn’t get the “Kyle bulks up” to the obvious conclusion skit. And The Sound of Music would have been funnier if they had stuck with the obvious age difference, which is so often ignored in old shows. And the amendment sketch didn’t nail it because it didn’t go on and hit far more universal and critical amendments that occurred later. So uneven, but still fun. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Once in a Lifetime is pretty ubiquitous.  It's in 13 Going on 30, Hot Tub Time Machine, the new Dynasty, the movie Rock Star, Secret Window.  (So, a lot of 80s nostalgia pieces).

That being said, who cares what the younger generations think?  90% of the musical guests on SNL are catered to them.

Personally I'm a lot happier when the musical guest is someone iconic, rather than a flash in the pan / trend "of the moment".  I always think of such examples as MIMS doing "This is why I'm hot" or Ashley Simpson doing that lipsyncing episode.  What the hell is Lorne Michaels doing booking what barely qualify as one hit wonders on the show?  I'd rather it be older musical icons every single week, but I'm dreaming.

OK, Boomer! Just kidding. I’m on the cusp of being a Boomer, so I like older acts as well but I do like seeing newer ones I haven’t heard of because I don’t listen to the radio. That’s how I found LCD Soundsystem a few years ago, on SNL. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

The album on which “Once in a Lifetime” can be found was released in 1980, if we’re nitpicking.

You said it was a 70s song which is why I posted.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I've seen Che do an interview about the first black man to boo Jackie Robinson being a sketch that he couldn't get on. He can't say that anymore.

Mulaney may not be the biggest star to host each season but he seems the best suited to put together the strongest episode top to bottom of the season.

• Love 6
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Ottis said:

OK, Boomer! 

I'm not a Boomer.  Younger generations than Boomers are very familiar with 80s music and many of us were alive when it came out.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Captain von Trapp's name is Georg (pronounced gay-org), not Gaylord.

I really didn't understand that skit since there is no real age difference between the film's actors. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, freddi said:

Awww, the monologue ending was so funny *and* sweet.  Little girl on a "Make-a-Wish" visit chooses Mulaney ("but you can find me on the 405, I'm around...") and gets to meet Lin-Manuel Miranda during the day ("I don't know if he goes by 'Lin' or 'Lin-Manuel', but sure, let's meet him - Oh, LIN-<manuel>").   Then her confessing that LIN-<manuel> had been her first choice.  Just Awww.  And the "LIN-<manuel>" was perfect.

Just a correction, it's not the "405", rather the "4 or 5" meaning the NYC subway Lexington ave trains which are numbered 4, 5, and 6.

• Love 9

Never thought I'd be typing these words, but John Mulaney is my Louis Farrakhan. Hard to believe that in 45 seasons, this is the first SNL to air on Leap Day.

Are we just...not gonna have a permanent Biden impression then? I think Alex could do it.

Also, remember when Jay Pharaoh would do, like, an actual Ben Carson impression, instead of Kenan just coming out and doing the same voice he does for everything?

Loved Chris's spot on Update. Definitely playing into my theory that they're prepping for a huge cast turnover and are trying to get the newbies more screentime to make the transition easier.

And of course, the rightful ode to LaGuardia being The Worst. Not only is it a barely functioning airport, it's a bitch to get to--you can take a subway to JFK and the New Jersey Transit to Newark, but the only public transportation that'll get you to LGA is a bus, and NYC bus routes are notoriously nonsensical.

Please come back every year, John. These episodes continue to be delightful.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, ebk57 said:

John Mulaney just brings out the best in this show.  I hope he continues to show up at least once every season.

I continue to hope he comes back full time, either as a consultant if as long as Lorne refuses to retire or  and to run the whole thing once Lorne retires.

I enjoyed the Sound of Music sketch a lot because (unlike the Gypsy sketch whose only joke was that the performers must be out of shape at their advanced age) the jokes about Rolf being much older than Liesl (note: Daniel Truhitte who played the role in the movie was actually a little younger than Charmian Carr and they were very early 20s, not 16 & 17) were just part of a whole riff on his unsuitability and I laughed at the phrasing ("she's got a list"; "nineteen-thirty-bad"; "focus on the age stuff"; "I"m rich and good with puppets, so you do the math"; "age is just a number that the government keeps track of"). I am choosing to believe that calling Captain von Trapp "Gaylord" instead of "Georg" was because they couldn't resist the joke and because the parody had gone so far from the actual show that it didn't matter, not because no one knew it should be Georg.

Kyle's tragedy made me laugh ("He's so hot -- he's going to get put in every comedy sketch."), especially Colin's magazine cover.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, bettername2come said:

When he walked out attached to wires, I admit I was expecting a Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark disaster to go along with his "musical guy who can't make music happen" persona from Sack Bunch Lunch.

Jake was great here and HILARIOUS in the Sack Bunch Lunch.

Loved this ep. John Mulvaney is amazing. (I even had a dream about him last night.) He's great in the monologues and in the sketches.

Loved his saying in the monologue that Jesus did magic tricks for his friends. 

Seeing Kyle all bulked up was bizarre. Fantastic prosthetic job.

Someone else here mentioned that it seemed that Cecily and Aidy were sincerely laughing during the b/w sketch. I thought so too and wondered if the props were surprises to them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I enjoyed the Sound of Music sketch a lot because (unlike the Gypsy sketch whose only joke was that the performers must be out of shape at their advanced age) the jokes about Rolf being much older than Liesl (note: Daniel Truhitte who played the role in the movie was actually a little younger than Charmian Carr and they were very early 20s, not 16 & 17) were just part of a whole riff on his unsuitability and I laughed at the phrasing ("she's got a list"; "nineteen-thirty-bad"; "focus on the age stuff"; "I"m rich and good with puppets, so you do the math"; "age is just a number that the government keeps track of"). I am choosing to believe that calling Captain von Trapp "Gaylord" instead of "Georg" was because they couldn't resist the joke and because the parody had gone so far from the actual show that it didn't matter, not because no one knew it should be Georg.

Don't forget Maria - "I'm old enough but it's still kinda dicey."

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I had just shown my husband Mr Music on YouTube minutes prior to Jake showing up. Co-inky-dink!

Mulaney seems to bring a goodwill with him wherever he goes, his joy is infectious. This, Adam Driver and Eddie Murphy are the best episodes of this season.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Confession here, while I was never a Hugh David Byrne fan ( more into Madonna and Whitney at that time) his music was always a background to my college years. Loved seeing him tonight and thought he brought it big time but I was wondering why they booked a musical guest with songs from 30+ years ago. Don’t get me wrong, it spoke directly to my fifty-something year old self but I do wonder what the younger generations think. I wasn’t sure why he was on but if he’s in Mulaney’s show it makes sense. 

I think a lot of Talking Heads' music is timeless.  It fit for the Reagan's 80s.  And it is applicable today.  As I quoted before  "Same. As. It. Ever Was,"

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

. . . which spun into an extended slam on LaGuardia. I'm guessing it is that bad. . . but I haven't been flying in ages.

"Auntie Orphan Anne!!"

Imho, LaGuardia is the worst airport in NY besides being a hassle to get to the runways are shorter than most airports and anytime I’ve flown in or out I’ve been convinced we would end up in the freaking water - which has happened! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/new-york/plane-landing-laguardia-airport-skids-runway-article-1.2138523%3foutputType=amp

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Josette said:

I really didn't understand that skit since there is no real age difference between the film's actors. 

Irl Maria was 22 and the captain was 47 when they got married.

for the movie Julie Andrews was 29 and Christopher Plummer was 35 during filming so it was much less of an age gap.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Justin Theroux? Random.

Once in a Lifetime will never not be a bop. Same as it ever was. And funny how that skinny suit David Byrne wore in the original video has come back in style.

Jake Gyllenhaal? Also random. Are he and Justin pals of Mulaney?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Jake Gyllenhaal? Also random. Are he and Justin pals of Mulaney?

Jake Gyllenhaal played Mr Music in the Sack Lunch Bunch. Based on John Mulaney's Fallon interview this week I don't believe they knew each other before that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ottis said:

The other folks were members of the Broadway show company.  It will be back on Broadway in September.

https://americanutopiabroadway.com/

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Never thought I'd be typing these words, but John Mulaney is my Louis Farrakhan. Hard to believe that in 45 seasons, this is the first SNL to air on Leap Day.

According to Quora, 1992 was a Saturday, but it seems that was a rerun. The Saturday Leap Day before that was 1964.

5 hours ago, Josette said:

Didn't know that, but now I just wonder if they made a mistake during the airing and just ran with it.

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, DanaMB said:

First time I didn’t ff through the musical performances. So good. 

Same here. That's usually my snack/bathroom/"what else is on?" time, so it was great to enjoy it, even though, as I wrote before, I was disappointed that there wasn't a "Road To Nowhere" performance.

Where's Galileo908's review?  It seems odd not seeing it.  

I'm not going to break it down, but I thought it was one of the better shows of the season.  Not surprising with John Mulaney.  And if you have to lose out to someone for Make-a-Wish, Lin-Manuel Miranda is not a bad person to lose out to.

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm not a Boomer.  Younger generations than Boomers are very familiar with 80s music and many of us were alive when it came out.

Hard to believe, but John Byrne is a little past most Boomers time when it comes to music.  They should have more older, "classic" artists on SNL, seems like they lean more toward contemporary acts. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Josette said:

I strongly suspect whoever wrote it remembered it wrong, and it sounded close enough to right to the rest of the writers that no one questioned it or bothered to confirm. Either that or they did at some point but decided the joke was funny enough to leave it wrong since they were changing other details anyway.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Hope this isn't too personal, but I hope @Galileo908 is out having a lovely evening and hasn't abandoned us...

I did, actually. I DVR'd it and I'll catch up later. It's nice to know people care about me, at least when it comes to commenting on SNL.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I laughed at the phrasing ("she's got a list"; "nineteen-thirty-bad"; "focus on the age stuff"; "I"m rich and good with puppets, so you do the math"; "age is just a number that the government keeps track of"). 

I loved all these lines and felt like they really got lost - no audience reaction to them for the most part. I also loved him listing his roommates - “Fritz and Hans and Kevin and Goebbels and four other guys named Hans...”

• Love 7
8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh, can a New Yorker or frequent traveler fill in the background about the taxi dig in the LaGuardia sketch?  Something about taxis not being allowed on the premises?

They are doing major construction at LaGuardia to improve its outdated infrastructure/ construct a new terminal (hence the sparking welding torch in the background of the sketch).  The construction has resulted in rerouting traffic in various ways.  There are certain times/ areas where if you take a taxi, you are dropped off far enough away that you then have to stand in a very, very long queue for a shuttle bus that will take you the rest of the way to your terminal (at least as of last year). 

3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I did, actually. I DVR'd it and I'll catch up later. It's nice to know people care about me, at least when it comes to commenting on SNL.

Glad everything is good!  I was starting to worry, too!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I've seen Che do an interview about the first black man to boo Jackie Robinson being a sketch that he couldn't get on. He can't say that anymore.

Mulaney may not be the biggest star to host each season but he seems the best suited to put together the strongest episode top to bottom of the season.

Ah - Che. No wonder the sketch was so poorly put together. He also did that weird Thanksgiving sketch in Will Ferrell's episode. He does have his moments (the Mid Morning News sketch in Phoebe Waller Bridge's episode) but it's always iffy. Anyway, good for him getting the piece on. Maybe Lorne gave him a goodbye gift.  

Larry and Jake backstage.

List of cut sketches. 

• Love 2
On 3/1/2020 at 2:56 AM, Psychobunny said:

Confession here, while I was never a Hugh David Byrne fan ( more into Madonna and Whitney at that time) his music was always a background to my college years. Loved seeing him tonight and thought he brought it big time but I was wondering why they booked a musical guest with songs from 30+ years ago. Don’t get me wrong, it spoke directly to my fifty-something year old self but I do wonder what the younger generations think. I wasn’t sure why he was on but if he’s in Mulaney’s show it makes sense. Another unpopular opinion is that the LaGuardia sketch was enjoyable but it will never approach the brilliance of lobster Les Miz which had a defined storyline with a beginning, middle and end. This was more a series of funny observations strung together. I thought the Admiral sketch was somewhat homophobic and offensive. The Sound of Music skit was a winner and Mulaney’s monologues are killer but I didn’t find anything memorable. The only other sketch I even remember was Kyle’s taped one. Loves Alex as the random rat although until about half way through the sketch I kept wondering why there was a random bear in the sketch. Then I saw the tail and I got it.

Mulaney is a huge David Byrne fan - John has styled his talking inflections after him and Bryne is in the Sack Lunch Bunch too.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Jake was great here and HILARIOUS in the Sack Bunch Lunch.

Loved this ep. John Mulvaney is amazing. (I even had a dream about him last night.) He's great in the monologues and in the sketches.

Loved his saying in the monologue that Jesus did magic tricks for his friends. 

Seeing Kyle all bulked up was bizarre. Fantastic prosthetic job.

Someone else here mentioned that it seemed that Cecily and Aidy were sincerely laughing during the b/w sketch. I thought so too and wondered if the props were surprises to them.

I can watch that a million times and not get tired of it!

• Love 1
On 3/1/2020 at 11:55 AM, Josette said:

Thank you for posting this.  It bothered me a lot!

16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I strongly suspect whoever wrote it remembered it wrong, and it sounded close enough to right to the rest of the writers that no one questioned it or bothered to confirm. Either that or they did at some point but decided the joke was funny enough to leave it wrong since they were changing other details anyway.

You are probably right, but it still bothers me.  It is sloppy work.

Byrne was OK, but what was up with the one backing guy?  He looked like a reject from Joker.

Also, David Byrne fans need to listen to Weird Al's song "Dog Eat Dog".  It's not a direct parody, but done "in the style of" and it is brilliant.

Mulaney was good.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:49 AM, Pete Martell said:

I can see why this was cut but I like the concept and the performances (especially from Ego). Nice to see John playing against type. Beck looks very hot. 

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, but just in case there happen to be any who don't know, this is actually based on a real Netflix show called Love Is Blind.  The only difference, is that on the real show, they weren't being quarantined, but everything else was accurate, sad to say.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Byrne was OK, but what was up with the one backing guy?  He looked like a reject from Joker.

I’m not sure who you mean. The one who always catches my attention is the redhead who I refer to as “skinny glam Louis CK”. Is that who you’re talking about?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SHD said:

I’m not sure who you mean. The one who always catches my attention is the redhead who I refer to as “skinny glam Louis CK”. Is that who you’re talking about?

Yes, that is a perfect description.  The lighting and makeup did him no favors.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Also, David Byrne fans need to listen to Weird Al's song "Dog Eat Dog".  It's not a direct parody, but done "in the style of" and it is brilliant.

Mulaney was good.

The guy who looks like Matt Walsh with a makeover?

DCAB0A5D-ADF7-4294-8E52-614FE365A330.jpeg

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 2