Type keyword(s) to search

S03.16: Autopsy

• Start Topic

Dr. Murphy becomes obsessed with performing an autopsy on a Jane Doe, which challenges his relationships at the hospital; a male college student has a mysterious split personality disorder.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poor Shawn!  He got the ol' "It's not you; it's me" speech from Leah...

• Love 5

That episode was just off.

Especially the Lim plot - maybe her mother will be a part of future episodes and this will be important for reasons? Because otherwise, that was just.... an odd plot.

The Jane Doe plot also felt off.

I dislike how the writers keep trying to shove Shaun & Lea together - it would have been better if Shaun was having difficulty processing the breakup, because that would make sense.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Especially the Lim plot - maybe her mother will be a part of future episodes and this will be important for reasons? Because otherwise, that was just.... an odd plot.

At first I was afraid that the fact the little girl kept disappearing by the time Lim went to find her meant that she was hallucinating her, and that it'd be a sign of something wrong with her. I'm very glad that's not the case. If there will be more to this, my guess is it's setting her up for some kind of "becoming a mom" story or something to that effect. But if there is more to this story, I'd actually love it if this spurred her to do more to help young kids who find themselves in situations like Trinity's, or who want to become doctors someday, or something instead. 'Cause you know that little girl is probably at home now going, "I want to grow up and be like Dr. Lim!" 

The Jane Doe plot also felt off.

I liked that story-it was fun to see Shaun and Park working together to solve this mystery (aside from the brief moment where, y'know, Shaun wound up in a holding cell for a while :p), and I did like that Shaun was able to get the answers he was looking for, and give the son some information as well. I also like that Shaun's obsession with the case wasn't as simple as just "I'm struggling with my breakup with Carly"-it was a factor to some degree, but not the factor. 

But yeah, the resolution did feel a little neat and tidy in some ways, too.

I dislike how the writers keep trying to shove Shaun & Lea together - it would have been better if Shaun was having difficulty processing the breakup, because that would make sense.

Agreed. Lea made valid points at the end in explaining why trying to start something with Shaun would be a bad idea-I like that she is aware of her own issues she's dealing with, and was honest with him about that, no matter how painful it was (and while there might be some bit of truth to Shaun's question of her not dating him because he's autistic, I don't think it's as simple as that, though it's understandable Shaun may see it that way). Plus, I just don't see Lea being attracted to him in that way, and I don't know if she ever will be. And just because Shaun loves her doesn't mean she has to be with him. Even if she does have feelings for him, she doesn't have to act on them if she's not ready.  

But yeah, as I said in regards to the last episode, Shaun's going to need to take his own time to heal, too, and work through his own issues and feelings and whatever else he's struggling with. I hope he comes to see that, and I hope they allow these two to just continue to remain friends for the time being. Whether the show plans to put them together eventually or not, they need to let these two just breathe for a while. 

On the note of Carly, I did like that moment between her and Shaun when they hugged and had their little talk. It was very bittersweet. And I liked Park talking through the relationship issues with Shaun as well. A lot of the team members have had breakups and could help in their own ways, no doubt, but I think Park's history with his divorce seemed to help give some welcome weight and honesty to the situation.

I also liked Morgan and Claire working together. That case they had with the guy was odd, but it gave them some interesting things to discuss and debate throughout. 

• Love 8

Yeah, this was a...weird one. I don't know how I feel.

For the first couple of scenes with Lim trying to chase down the girl, I genuinely thought that she was some hallucination of a little girl from her past until we found out she was actually a real girl. But it was just so random for some girl to show up and ask Lim to adopt her. Like...what? I'm not really sure WHY it was in the episode, to be honest.

Now...I appreciate Lea telling Shaun why they wouldn't work together. I wish that it had led more toward Lea confessing that she only thinks of Shaun as a friend, since that's always been the vibe I got from her, but I think she came across fairly well in that final scene. However, I also wish that it was Shaun figuring out his feelings about the breakup, rather than him being in love with Lea. I think, in a way, the show inadvertently cheapened what Shaun/Carly had. For all of its flaws and poor writing, I feel like Carly breaking up with Shaun should have been a HUGE deal for him, more so than him needing to confess his love for Lea. So I wish they went a totally different path. They could have led to Shaun's confession in a later episode, but I feel like this episode should have been dedicated to Shaun sorting out his feelings about the end of his first relationship. 

I did like Shaun/Carly's scene in the morgue...but man, did I feel really bad for Carly. 

But yeah, I only see Lea/Shaun happening now that she's basically confessed that she DOES have feelings for him. I really wish they stayed best friends, but it looks like my hopes are now officially dashed. 

Morgan/Claire's case was a bit confusing, but compelling, nonetheless. But...man, I have to admit...I HATED the revelation of Melendez/Claire hiding their friendship through a fight, just because it was such a hidden couple thing to do. It just felt overdramatic and although I like the idea of the pairing, I'm not so sure I'm going to like the way this goes. But I think it's because there has been no romantic relationship on this show that has been done well (as I am now just realizing as I think about it). So this Melendez/Claire relationship is almost already doomed just as it starts. 

Yeah...I'm still processing. Great directing from Highmore, but otherwise, a very weird episode in general.

• Love 13

Shaun shouldn’t have expected Carly, of all people, to mentor him through this! But of course he doesn’t seem to be able to empathize enough to realize that.

For all that I just cannot stand Lea, and she didn’t handle their talk very well, she wasn’t wrong. Having already spent time as roommates, they are both aware of how incompatible they actually are. Someone as buttoned down and meticulous as Shaun does not need a flake like Lea driving him up the wall.

I still really wish the show wouldn’t go there with Claire and Melendez. I’d much rather see Lim, after her encounter with Trinity, realizing she wants more out of life than just her career and getting back together with Melendez.

• Love 7

Highmore's directing was good, and impressive because he was so prominent acting in the episode (usually when an actor directs his or her role is minimized in the episode), But the episode itself wasn't that great.

I think the best story was Lim's. I thought it was a hallucination at first (and what 8 year old is allowed to wander on her own as long as she's back by 6?) but it was kind of sweet. I just hope that it doesn't lead to Lim wanting children of her own now and a Lim/Melendez/Claire triangle.

I thought Park and Morgan were both at their best here. Park is great as a friend and mentor to Shaun, and Morgan had a nice scene telling the fratboy alter to agree to the surgery. The case itself was not great -- from the start I was yelling at the TV that they need a psychiatric consult. I hate it when Shore's shows magically solve what look like mental health problems with some surgical solution. Even if the cause of the  behaviour was a cyst in the brain, why this particular alternate persona and not another? The Professor side is under huge stress and once again, the show missed what should have been a mandatory psych referral.

The Melendez/Claire fight fooled me, so well done, but why are they sneaking around like that? Melendez especially should know that spending that much social time together will lead to favouritism if it hasn't already. From his "It's worth it" re sneaking around, it sounds like he's either desperate for friendship or he's already smitten.

7 hours ago, bros402 said:

I can only conclude that the showrunners think that we're all rooting for those crazy kids, Lea and Shaun, to work it out and find happiness.  I don't think they're reading the room very well.

Both actors did a good job but these are two people who should not be together.

Lea was bad enough with her "Oh Shaunie, it's so sad that Carly broke up with you". But her statement that she's so messed up that she wouldn't be good for him completely lost me. If you know you're that messed up, why aren't you doing something about it?

Lea was good as the care-free spirit, the platonic friend who helps Shaun experience more of life.  I'm not looking forward to the next episodes where Shaun, now knowing that Lea loves him, tries to make it work between them. (Not a spoiler, just speculation based on how much the show seems to love them as star-crossed lovers.)

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Lea was bad enough with her "Oh Shaunie, it's so sad that Carly broke up with you". But her statement that she's so messed up that she wouldn't be good for him completely lost me. If you know you're that messed up, why aren't you doing something about it?

I think the answer is simple: she doesn't care enough to change herself. Which, ok, fine. She can admit that she's flakey and that she's happy enough with herself to accept her flaws and all. But...it also sounded like she knows why her own relationships don't work out and if she really does end up with Shaun, she's going to HAVE to compromise, at the very least. And it doesn't sound like she's at a stage where she's even willing to compromise with others.

So, essentially, Lea plans to stay flakey and unbothered and selfish indefinitely, which...is not great. So now, I bet we're going to have to see Shaun try to change his behaviour for her, just like he's had to do with Carly. God, I just see this mess of a relationship just being frustrating as we near the end of the season. It's why Lea/Shaun work as best friends. They still kind of help each other out, but without the entanglements of a romance.

• Love 8

This show is overwrought with Shaun relationship drama. Just please end it already. I just do not want to see him in a romance. 

And his behavior with the guy whose mother died? Like, WTF was that? Of course he got his way in the end just like he will with Lea despite Lea telling him no twice now. 

• Love 9

I wish Lea would have told Shaun straight up she only sees him as a friend, there's no romantic chemistry, he's not her type, whatever. In the end, they kinda left for door open for her to get over his autism and give him a chance. I just don't find it believable. She's not attracted to him in that way. Don't try and force it.

Week cases this week but Lim and the little girl were cute.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ElectricCityy said:

I wish Lea would have told Shaun straight up she only sees him as a friend, there's no romantic chemistry, he's not her type, whatever. In the end, they kinda left for door open for her to get over his autism and give him a chance. I just don't find it believable. She's not attracted to him in that way. Don't try and force it.

Week cases this week but Lim and the little girl were cute.

When she said she loved Shaun I really expected it to include “...as a friend”.

• Love 11

I wasn't a fan of this episode.

I did love the Claire/Morgan case.  It was very interesting and well acted by all parties.

Shaun really should have suffered more consequences than he did for everything he did with that entire autopsy case up to and including getting arrested. He went above both Lim and Melendez, possibly put Carly in some sort of professional jeopardy because of her decision to help him, and basically acted like some unhinged psycho to that rather good looking Oscar Isaac look-alike.  Also I don't know if I watch too much tv and should call foul or think it is refreshing that super-rich Oscar Isaac look-alike would not have household help opening his door.

I thought the entire Lim story-line was weird.  Again, I call foul on her instantly remembering a baby left eight years ago on the basis of a little girl saying 'I wanted to meet you again.'  But hey, Lim exists outside of Melendez.

Ooh, my little shipper heart is going pitty-pat with Claire and Melendez.  Although this isn't going to be pretty....  LOL.

Ugh... I am gonna go on a little mini-rant about the Shaun/Carly aftermath:

In the end, I have come away with a real distaste in how the show has handled the entire Shaun relationship with Carly. 

I can't help but feel that  Carly was basically a training ground and body to ready Shaun for Leah.  In addition we were treated to moments of real insensitivity on his part toward her, only to have her open acceptance of him and efforts to connect with him received as pushy, aggressive or creepy.  Also they were presented as labor and not love.  Further she is required to give approbation (via a hug that she had to work to get him to accept in the first place) to his growth and realization that he must confess his feelings to another woman.

I get that the plan was (and possibly still is) for Shaun/Leah in the end.  Also that it is fairly standard tv romance trope to create a third party as a temporary obstacle before getting the couple together.  So I wasn't super invested in the Shaun/Carly romance especially watching it unfold.  But the whole vibe, imo, felt  especially cavalier toward her and I wished ages ago for her own self preservation to end it.  I legit feel bad for the character.

• Love 21

I do like that they try to have themes to the episodes and this one was about communicating with people, your mother, yourself, the person you care for. I don't think all of it worked well though. Like everyone else, I thought the little girl Trinity was imaginary and it did seem like she was kind of negected by her family. I also don't buy her wandering around the hospital in the hopes of getting adopted unless things were really bad at home. 

We never knew the full story of the woman who died so I didn't get anything out of Shaun badgering the son and then telling him about her tattoo.

I thought the scene with Lea and Shaun was well done. Shaun has a hard time with order and things being a certain way and it would be hard for them to be a couple. I also thought Shaun getting arrested is another reason why I don't quite believe him as a surgeon. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I do like that they try to have themes to the episodes and this one was about communicating with people, your mother, yourself, the person you care for. I don't think all of it worked well though. Like everyone else, I thought the little girl Trinity was imaginary and it did seem like she was kind of negected by her family. I also don't buy her wandering around the hospital in the hopes of getting adopted unless things were really bad at home. 

Honestly, I understood nothing of this storyline and still think she was imaginary.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Freddie did a good job directing, especially as it was also a fairly heavy Shaun episode, but the episode seemed rather off to me. Probably because I am not a fan of the Leah/Shaun, and I dont really see romantic chemistry between them. I like them just fine as friends, and I was really hoping that we wouldn't go back to that well, but apparently we are. Even with all of the drama, I saw way more romantic chemistry between Shaun and Carly, and generally liked them better together, so I am not super pumped about them heading towards a Shaun/Leah endgame. 

My favorite plot was probably the Morgan and Claire plot, it gave them some time to hash some things out after Claire's massive dick move of complaining about her and Melendez, which I am still pissed about, and their case of the week was interesting. The actor playing the college student was good, especially at playing the two different personas, and it was a very unique case. I did think it was weird that they didn't immediately do a psych eval on him, a mental health issue seemed more obvious to me than a more physical issue, even if it did turn out to be a problem with his brain. I thought it was that he was having disassociation episodes after having too much pressure on him to succeed, or was in the early stages of schizophrenia (late teens/early 20s is when it manifests a lot of the time) or something. 

Oh Shaun. He and Park are always a fun team, and I liked seeing them working on the case together, while Park was trying to be supportive during Shaun's first ever break up. I really loved the part where, after Park said he wasn't interested in investigating the women's cause of death, as he isn't a cop anymore, Shaun found something interesting on the women's body and when Park looked interested, Shaun said something about how he "wouldn't care because your not a cop" and then cutting to Park and Shaun making a murder board about the victim! Old habits die hard. 

This Melendez and Claire thing is inevitably going to be a mess. 

The Lim stuff was weird, at first I thought it was a hallucination or maybe a ghost (what? shows throw in random ghosts sometimes. NCIS? Bones? Ghosts) but it was just some kid she found at the hospital as a baby? 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the answer is simple: she doesn't care enough to change herself. Which, ok, fine. She can admit that she's flakey and that she's happy enough with herself to accept her flaws and all. But...it also sounded like she knows why her own relationships don't work out and if she really does end up with Shaun, she's going to HAVE to compromise, at the very least. And it doesn't sound like she's at a stage where she's even willing to compromise with others.

So, essentially, Lea plans to stay flakey and unbothered and selfish indefinitely, which...is not great.

I saw it as she doesn't want to change herself FOR Shaun.  Maybe one day she will meet someone and will want to do the hard work of addressing her issues so she can be in a healthy relationship, but she is not ready for that now, and her feelings for Shuan aren't compelling enough for her to want to start working on herself.

I still think Trinity is Lim's hallucination, though I have no idea why.

Melendez is lying to himself.  No one sneaks around just to be "friends."  Claire...I think she knows what she is doing and she has targeted Melendez for her generally risky sexual adventures, which we've seen is how she copes with trauma.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also I don't know if I watch too much tv and should call foul or think it is refreshing that super-rich Oscar Isaac look-alike would not have household help opening his door.

I thought it was a little odd that a tech billionaire wasn’t living in a gated community. Shaun snd Park were able to drive right up to his house. It looked like a very nice neighborhood (and in Silicon Valley, probably did cost a mint), but not billionaire nice!

• Love 2

Such an emotional episode. I was not really a fan of Shaun and Carly, but I felt so sad for Carly when Shaun told her he loved her but loved Lea more.  Great acting on her part!

And I felt so sad for Shaun when Lea said she loved him but didn’t want a relationship.  I thought the emotion there was very real too.  Great acting by both of them.  (But come on , give Shaun happiness....)

And Freddie was excellent!   His scenes with Carly, Lea, and Glassman ... fabulous acting!   And his breakdown with the woman’s son!  Come on he deserves an award for this show!

• Love 7

In the post #metoo era, which has explicitly made clear that relationships with unequal power dynamics are unethical, not to mention already having to dissolve a mature, functional relationship with Lim because she became his boss (thereby setting up that very type of relationship), how can Melendez possibly think that what he's doing with Claire is reasonable?

A mentoring relationship can take place entirely inside the confines of their place of business. Adding a social aspect to it, especially one that excludes the peers of the weaker party, going so far as to make it "secret", is just madness.

I know she's going through stuff that affects her judgement, but I thought he had better sense than this, especially because he knows she's emotionally vulnerable.

By god, if he keeps going with this, then when it's inevitably discovered he should at the very least be removed from his teaching role.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Starchild said:

In the post #metoo era, which has explicitly made clear that relationships with unequal power dynamics are unethical, not to mention already having to dissolve a mature, functional relationship with Lim because she became his boss (thereby setting up that very type of relationship), how can Melendez possibly think that what he's doing with Claire is reasonable?

A mentoring relationship can take place entirely inside the confines of their place of business. Adding a social aspect to it, especially one that excludes the peers of the weaker party, going so far as to make it "secret", is just madness.

I know she's going through stuff that affects her judgement, but I thought he had better sense than this, especially because he knows she's emotionally vulnerable.

By god, if he keeps going with this, then when it's inevitably discovered he should at the very least be removed from his teaching role.

This. And it seems out of character for him. He’s bent the rules occasionally but for the most part he seems like a by-the-book sort of person.

• Love 7

Agree with those who thought this was a weird episode.  Seemed to be the writers fault and not Freddie's direction.  The Shaun/Lea relationship seems forced, and at first I thought Trinity was an hallucination.  Then I thought they were going for a silly storyline where Lim was going to adopt her.

Lea has already said she only sees Shaun as a friend, and that seemed entirely reasonable.  But now they seem to be backing off of that and she does have some sort of feelings, but apparently not that deep?  Bleh, the whole thing is a mess and I feel bad for Carly.  It seemed like Shaun had a good relationship with her but just has his eye on the shinier object.

And apparently Carly wasn't so insecure after all, because there really was more going on with Shaun and Lea than merely a platonic friendship.

I liked Lim and Melendez together and thought they had good chemistry.  I thought they overreacted about the alleged conflicts of interest, but everybody on this show overreacts about the personal relationships.  Which is why it's odd that Melendez seems to be falling into the same trap again, when he was so convinced that he and Lim couldn't function on a business and personal level.

Shaun said "Hmm" a lot in this episode.

• Love 9

I can understand

6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I thought the entire Lim story-line was weird.  Again, I call foul on her instantly remembering a baby left eight years ago on the basis of a little girl saying 'I wanted to meet you again.'

That was the story that made the most sense to me, except for the part about the girl being allowed to wander around the hospital alone.  The little girl had a newspaper clipping that she found in her adoptive mother's drawer showing Lim holding a tiny baby who had been abandoned in the ER.  Lim also told her that she wanted to adopt that baby herself so much. So between those feelings and her picture in a newspaper (which I certainly would remember), it made sense that Lim recalled her.

6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

In the end, I have come away with a real distaste in how the show has handled the entire Shaun relationship with Carly. 

I can't help but feel that  Carly was basically a training ground and body to ready Shaun for Leah.  In addition we were treated to moments of real insensitivity on his part toward her, only to have her open acceptance of him and efforts to connect with him received as pushy, aggressive or creepy.  Also they were presented as labor and not love.  Further she is required to give approbation (via a hug that she had to work to get him to accept in the first place) to his growth and realization that he must confess his feelings to another woman.

I agree.

For all the problems that they had in their relationship, Carly really tried to make it work.  Shaun making Carly a trial run for training and then leaving her for Lea while Carly has to be the one to make things right for him is not a good look on him.  Lea messing with Shaun earlier, then interfering in the relationship with Carly, and then turning him down now but leaving the door open really make me dislike her.

5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

We never knew the full story of the woman who died so I didn't get anything out of Shaun badgering the son and then telling him about her tattoo.

Shaun was desperate to find out what killed her. Lim and Andrews wouldn't let him do an autopsy, neither would the son, so he got Carly to bend the rules for him.

The son refused the autopsy because he thought that his mother didn't care about him. Shaun asked if she had had any pet names for him. He answered "colibri", which is French for hummingbird because he would flit around as a child. Knowing that she had asked for him at the end "Coley", and that she had a hummingbird tattoo let him know that she did care about him. Maybe someone should tell him that she fought a custody battle for him too.

She died of a treatable hereditary disease which the son appears to have inherited (bad teeth too) so it was important for the son to know what Shaun found. Emotionally even more important to know that his mother loved him.

What shocked me was the amount of snow they had in Sonoma.

2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

This. And it seems out of character for him. He’s bent the rules occasionally but for the most part he seems like a by-the-book sort of person.

What I'm getting out of it is that while Claire seems to be thinking of this as just a friend to hang out with (possibly friend-impaired because of her damaged childhood), Melendez being so by-the-book, bending the rules for Claire implies that he's more smitten by her than just as a friend.  He's a personable guy, he's got to have friends to hang out with. Saying that "it's worth it" to sneak around to spend time with her suggests to me that it more than that for him.

I get it, it's TV. But why doesn't Claire just get put on someone else's service?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I get it, it's TV. But why doesn't Claire just get put on someone else's service?

Considering that it's just a platonic friendship/mentoring situation (or so they're claiming), I don't see why it's such a big deal.  It's less of an attachment than we had when Shaun was working under Glassman.  Even though everyone on this show seems so hypersensitive about this sort of thing, who likes who best and whatnot.  These doctors are worse than high school students.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I do like that they try to have themes to the episodes and this one was about communicating with people, your mother, yourself, the person you care for.

And that's another issue I appreciated them bringing up a bit, and which I want to see them address more. Shaun was right to get frustrated about how everyone seemed to keep speaking for him and telling him how he felt. Carly guessed that Shaun was still hung up on Lea, and in this episode, everyone just kept assuming Shaun's intense focus on that case with the lady was his attempt to distract him from his breakup. And sure, there was some truth to what all of those people said. Shaun did acknowledge that Carly was right that he did love Lea, and while his breakup with Carly wasn't the sole motivator for his obsession with the case, she was still on his mind to some degree, clearly. And Shaun does often come to the others for advice, so naturally they'll offer their input as a result. 

But even then, they're still all making assumptions about why Shaun's doing this and why he's feeling that way, and what he wants or how he feels seems to be kind of lost as a result. Would he have still told Lea how he felt at the end had he not been talking to others throughout the episode? Who knows. But I do think that's an aspect to consider as well.

I also agree with all the stuff with Melendez and Claire hanging out together, especially since Melendez was scrutinized over it recently. Sneaking around only makes it worse. I predict that this season will end with all of their sneakiness backfiring in some kind of big way.

35 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

What I'm getting out of it is that while Claire seems to be thinking of this as just a friend to hang out with (possibly friend-impaired because of her damaged childhood), Melendez being so by-the-book, bending the rules for Claire implies that he's more smitten by her than just as a friend.  He's a personable guy, he's got to have friends to hang out with. Saying that "it's worth it" to sneak around to spend time with her suggests to me that it more than that for him.

Yep. This is how I'm reading it, too. I said in a recent discussion that he seems to be more into her than she is in him, and this just further proves it. 

• Love 7

Even if they do turn romantic, it would still not be a #MeToo thing. Let's not loose focus on what the MeToo movement is about; Powerful men prying on their subordinates. It is unfair to put Melendez into the same category while victimizing Claire who is just enjoying a friendship. He offered Claire a shoulder to in her time of need. Let's not misconstrue what we've seen with our own eyes.

There was nothing inappropriate about their interactions in and out of the work place. Circumstances have forced them to hide a completely benign relationship. If it turns into something more, we can discuss that but I think it is jumping the gun lump them into the unsavory MeToo movement 

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I can understand

That was the story that made the most sense to me, except for the part about the girl being allowed to wander around the hospital alone.  The little girl had a newspaper clipping that she found in her adoptive mother's drawer showing Lim holding a tiny baby who had been abandoned in the ER.  Lim also told her that she wanted to adopt that baby herself so much. So between those feelings and her picture in a newspaper (which I certainly would remember), it made sense that Lim recalled her.

I agree.

For all the problems that they had in their relationship, Carly really tried to make it work.  Shaun making Carly a trial run for training and then leaving her for Lea while Carly has to be the one to make things right for him is not a good look on him.  Lea messing with Shaun earlier, then interfering in the relationship with Carly, and then turning him down now but leaving the door open really make me dislike her.

Shaun was desperate to find out what killed her. Lim and Andrews wouldn't let him do an autopsy, neither would the son, so he got Carly to bend the rules for him.

The son refused the autopsy because he thought that his mother didn't care about him. Shaun asked if she had had any pet names for him. He answered "colibri", which is French for hummingbird because he would flit around as a child. Knowing that she had asked for him at the end "Coley", and that she had a hummingbird tattoo let him know that she did care about him. Maybe someone should tell him that she fought a custody battle for him too.

She died of a treatable hereditary disease which the son appears to have inherited (bad teeth too) so it was important for the son to know what Shaun found. Emotionally even more important to know that his mother loved him.

What shocked me was the amount of snow they had in Sonoma.

I know all about Shaun ‘s reason for doing the autopsy and I watched the entire episode. But we didn’t meet this woman when she was alive, don’t know why she and the son weren’t speaking and for me there was no emotional payoff to this story.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Even if they do turn romantic, it would still not be a #MeToo thing. Let's not loose focus on what the MeToo is about; Powerful men prying on their subordinates. It is unfair to put Melendez into that situation. He offered Claire a shoulder to in her time of crises. Let's not misconstrue what we've seen with our own eyes.

There was nothing inappropriate about their interactions in and out of work. Circumstances have forced them to hide a completely benign relationship. If it turns into something more, we can discuss that but I think it is jumping the gun lump them into the unsavory MeToo movement 

You’re right that it’s not really a #MeToo situation since nothing has really happened between them. That said, the company I work for has sometimes written people up for merely giving the appearance of unethical or inappropriate behavior — the punishment would be worse if the behavior really was unethical or inappropriate, but even just giving the appearance can get you in trouble. The power differential between Claire and Melendez makes it likely they may give the appearance of impropriety to the hospital board and their coworkers even if they do nothing wrong.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I know all about Shaun ‘s reason for doing the autopsy and I watched the entire episode. But we didn’t meet this woman when she was alive, don’t know why she and the son weren’t speaking and for me there was no emotional payoff to this story.

Agreed. All we got to hear was that his parents divorced and his father got custody. So why was he so hostile that he didn’t care why she died? Was the father badmouthing the mother to him? Did she give up too easily? How did she end up homeless? Who knows, because the show sure didn’t tell us.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

We met her at the beginning when she thought Shaun was her son.

For me the emotional payoff was in Shaun's desperation to find out what went wrong, looking for a situation that he could fix as he couldn't fix his love life.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Considering that it's just a platonic friendship/mentoring situation (or so they're claiming), I don't see why it's such a big deal.  It's less of an attachment than we had when Shaun was working under Glassman. 

Much less of an attachment than than Glassman and Shaun. But that was two guys so it's okay.

Lim saw a young girl she wished she could have adopted and then spoke with her mother. I'd say even odds on baby rabies or her mother is getting a dementia.

• Love 2

I am over the whole Shaun situation.  Neither Lea nor Carly are right for him.  I am also over the show having Shaun and some other people act as if his autism is something to overcome. Someone mentioned giving a realistic portrayal of someone with autism in love...and I beg to differ.  Realistically the odds of him meeting a Leah or a Carly are slim, let alone things working out the way that they did.   Also, why does Shaun need someone to help him be "fun loving?"  Why not have someone who accepts him the way he is? I know I seem to be stuck on Jared, but instead of a Leah they needed a male Jared type character to help Shaun learn about women and hanging out, and then attempted a relationship.  Most importantly although I don't think it is required for him to be with people with autism all the time I don't understand the decision to not have him actively having any engagement with other people on the spectrum, especially to get some of their perspectives about navigating certain situations.  

Now they are setting Leah up to be some sympathetic character who is so down on herself that she wants to "spare" others her issue.   The only way I get some respect back for the writers is if they stick to the no Leah as a girlfriend story. 

I agree upthread about the treatment of the Carly character by the writers. The worst part of it was having Carly be the one to have to listen to his fears about going to Leah and giving him the courage to do it....that and the fact that they did only show the difficulty, and went through pains to show Shaun having "fun" with Leah. 

Leah is about as worthless a character as the mooching next door neighbor. 

I don't really care about Claire and Melendez although I think if they were going to go that route they could have just skipped the whole Lim relationship all together.  Never thought I'd say it, but they need to find Andrews something to do.  I fear a bad ending for him or Lim in the season finale....someone has go to go.....

Funny how many people have written about what a good character Claire is and good doctor, but now that they seem to be pushing her toward Melendez all of a sudden he is favoring her.  As long as he ends his mentor/supervisory position with her IF something happens, I don't think it would be a METOO situation. I get no hint of her feeling forced to interact with him. 

I also don't really care about Park and Resnick....as I type this I affirm that I am just not into this season. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Much less of an attachment than than Glassman and Shaun. But that was two guys so it's okay.

I don't agree.  It's true Glassman wouldn't be using his position to get sexual favors from Shaun.  But there could most certainly be the appearance of favoritism toward him.  In fact, he was basically accused of it, and there was arguably favoritism in hiring him in the first place.

Mind you, I don't care about any of this because I think our current culture has become hypersensitive.  But in the context as presented, it could be a problem, it's one step away from nepotism since Glassman is practically a father figure for him.

• Love 1

I know they wanted a dramatic scene, but Shaun should have sent a letter (or had Park send it) to the son, explaining about the Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

I really don't think the Melendez-Claire situation is just mentoring, and I don't think that's because of the male-female aspect, either. If he and Park were hanging out together all the time, drinking together, meeting for dinners, going bowling, and yucking it up in secret, that would be a situation ripe for favoritism as well. And both Claire and melendez are acting super gleefully excited to see each other. They were glowing and giggling for godsake. That's not mentoring. And it isn't an appropriate kind of friendship to have with ones supervisor or employee.

If that girl turns out to be a hallucination and Lim has a brain tumor or a psychiatric illness, that will be one hell of a punch in the gut. But the security guard seemed to validate the girl's existence, so even though it really did seem that way, I think they meant for us to just take at face value that it was real.

I thought for sure the guy with the cyst in his brain was multiple. Either that, or he had an Ambien-induced alternate life. A cyst never occurred to me and I didn't really find it credible. But what do I know about brain cysts, really? Admittedly, not much.

I can't picture a romantic relationship between Shaun and Lea. She infantilizes him all the time. The tone of voice she uses, the way she calls him "Shaunie" makes it sound like he's her child. Nevermind the chaos vs order issue. She comes across so dismissive even when she's being "nice".

I agree it's annoying that Shaun has no interest in connecting with other autistic adults as potential friends or lovers or mentors. It's insulting. I respect that he doesn't want to be limited ONLY to other people with autism. But I'd like to see him connect with at least one other person on the spectrum, in a real and substantial way (not just a case of the week).

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, Annber03 said:

At first I was afraid that the fact the little girl kept disappearing by the time Lim went to find her meant that she was hallucinating her, and that it'd be a sign of something wrong with her. I'm very glad that's not the case. If there will be more to this, my guess is it's setting her up for some kind of "becoming a mom" story or something to that effect. But if there is more to this story, I'd actually love it if this spurred her to do more to help young kids who find themselves in situations like Trinity's, or who want to become doctors someday, or something instead. 'Cause you know that little girl is probably at home now going, "I want to grow up and be like Dr. Lim!" 

I was also thinking she was going to be a hallucination!

19 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

For the first couple of scenes with Lim trying to chase down the girl, I genuinely thought that she was some hallucination of a little girl from her past until we found out she was actually a real girl. But it was just so random for some girl to show up and ask Lim to adopt her. Like...what? I'm not really sure WHY it was in the episode, to be honest.

Now...I appreciate Lea telling Shaun why they wouldn't work together. I wish that it had led more toward Lea confessing that she only thinks of Shaun as a friend, since that's always been the vibe I got from her, but I think she came across fairly well in that final scene. However, I also wish that it was Shaun figuring out his feelings about the breakup, rather than him being in love with Lea. I think, in a way, the show inadvertently cheapened what Shaun/Carly had. For all of its flaws and poor writing, I feel like Carly breaking up with Shaun should have been a HUGE deal for him, more so than him needing to confess his love for Lea. So I wish they went a totally different path. They could have led to Shaun's confession in a later episode, but I feel like this episode should have been dedicated to Shaun sorting out his feelings about the end of his first relationship. 

It felt like a discarded plot from an earlier episode that a writer really wanted to use for some reason. I was also thinking the girl might have been her as a kid as a hallucination.

Lea should have been much more direct with Shaun.

16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I can only conclude that the showrunners think that we're all rooting for those crazy kids, Lea and Shaun, to work it out and find happiness.  I don't think they're reading the room very well.

Both actors did a good job but these are two people who should not be together.

Lea was good as the care-free spirit, the platonic friend who helps Shaun experience more of life.  I'm not looking forward to the next episodes where Shaun, now knowing that Lea loves him, tries to make it work between them. (Not a spoiler, just speculation based on how much the show seems to love them as star-crossed lovers.)

Yeah, Shaun and Lea should just stick to being platonic friends.

32 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I can't picture a romantic relationship between Shaun and Lea. She infantilizes him all the time. The tone of voice she uses, the way she calls him "Shaunie" makes it sound like he's her child. Nevermind the chaos vs order issue. She comes across so dismissive even when she's being "nice".

I agree it's annoying that Shaun has no interest in connecting with other autistic adults as potential friends or lovers or mentors. It's insulting. I respect that he doesn't want to be limited ONLY to other people with autism. But I'd like to see him connect with at least one other person on the spectrum, in a real and substantial way (not just a case of the week).

Yeah, the Lea-Shaun dynamic is... an odd foundation for a romantic relationship

Shaun needs to at least see a therapist to try to get some coping mechanisms - he's had, what, 3 full blown melt downs this season?

• Love 6

This episode really bugged me a lot on so many levels.

The good: The storyline with Claire and Morgan.  I enjoyed the story with the student and thought that they handled each other well too.

The ugly: This whole thing with Claire and Melendez.  He really can't date her.  Ever.  We already went through this with Lim.  So if the show is setting this up as a precursor to that, I will not be happy.  Again! Please! Men and women really can just be friends!

The bad: I will join all of you on the bus that thought Trinity was a hallucination.  What really didn't make any sense was that an 8 year old was allowed to wander a busy city alone as long as she was home by 6 PM.  A suburban, residential street - maybe, but downtown?  And she wants Lim to adopt her??

Then the mother shows up to pick up her daughter and.. that's it.  No words, no nothing?  I suppose Lim could have spoken to her off camera, but it was so damn awkward.

As for Shaun and Park's case with the mom: I agree - we really didn't understand why there was such a disconnect between the son and the mother.  WHY was he so resentful of her?  That would have gone a long way to making this plot point more enjoyable - and frankly - they could have ditched the whole Trinity storyline and used the time to flesh this one out better.  It had excellent bones, and it was well done, but it needed more time and details.

The very bad: Lea and Shaun: ARGH!

Show, please stop yanking my chain.  Shaun asks her out a long time ago - she doesn't feel that way about him.  Then he goes through a multitude of shit having a relationship with Carly, only for them to break up and for him to profess his love to Lea again, when he is, surprise!, turned down again.  Why are they trying to make this happen?  Lea and Shaun are good as friends.  While it is very interesting to see an autistic character navigating a romantic relationship on TV, if they really wanted to have him break up then they should find an entirely different woman for him to start a new relationship with.  And based on everything I know, Shaun would have been way, way, WAY, more upset about the breakup than portrayed on the show.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

Lea should have been much more direct with Shaun.

My fear is she was being completely direct with Shaun.  That she does love him, and wants to be with him, but she doesn't think her personal issues make her good for him.  Which doesn't ring true for me, because she didn't like him in that way before.  That could have changed, but it doesn't seem likely.  It looks like the writers are trying to find some sort of convoluted way to make Shaun and Lea the endgame, and honestly I don't care to see them together.

1 hour ago, aemom said:

And based on everything I know, Shaun would have been way, way, WAY, more upset about the breakup than portrayed on the show.

Totally agree with that, it was his first breakup after all.  Apparently he was so flooded with hormones over the thought of getting another shot with Lea that he didn't give two craps about losing is relationship with Carly.  Maybe it was for the best, but come on, it should have bothered him at least a little.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

It looks like the writers are trying to find some sort of convoluted way to make Shaun and Lea the endgame, and honestly I don't care to see them together.

Especially since it seems like Carly is being thrown under the bus for it.  The relationship with Carly had a lot of problems but she was a better match for Shaun both in terms of temperament and shared interests.

16 hours ago, possibilities said:

This is one of the stakes in the heart of the relationship for me, The other is that she refuses to change, either for herself or for him.

Do you think they're tanking it on purpose for the drama?  Or just not aware how it looks?

• Love 8

I wonder if the point of the little girl story is that Lim is going to decide she wants a kid? Either adopt or with IVF. 

I actually wondered if the little girl was a kid she had once given up for adoption, but I realized she was way to young for that to work.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The relationship with Carly had a lot of problems but she was a better match for Shaun both in terms of temperament and shared interests.

I do agree Carly seems a better match for him.  The person who makes your pulse beat quicker is not necessarily the one who is right for you.  Even if she does like to bring home strange men and have sex with them loudly in the room next door so you can hear.

I looked up the ages of the actors, because it seems to me that Shaun is just going for the younger, hotter alternative.  I was a little surprised that Jasika Nicole (who plays Carly) is 11 years older than Shaun.  She's 39, Freddie Highmore is 28, and Paige Spara (Lea) is 30.

• Love 3

I don't like it when TV characters have to be told they are in love with someone.  Does that happen in real life?  Don't we all decide our feelings, let our friends and co-workers decide theirs? 

Lea gets on my nerves with "Shaunie" and "Glassie."  I used to work with someone who did that all the time - Bob became Bobby, Tim became Timmy, Barb became Barbie, and so on.  I think I bothered him because my name does not lend itself to that type of nickname.  And the guy who did this insisted on being called by his full name  - he was David, not Dave and certainly not Davy.  He even used his full name, with middle name, to sing documents.  

I really want a story line where a patient wakes up after surgery and starts talking about all the personal things the surgeons were discussing or one of the petty squabbles they had during the operation.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I wonder if the point of the little girl story is that Lim is going to decide she wants a kid? Either adopt or with IVF. 

I actually wondered if the little girl was a kid she had once given up for adoption, but I realized she was way to young for that to work.

Ehhh I was thinking Lim could've sold some eggs to pay for medical school

• Love 3

I wasn't feeling this episode so much, mainly because of the relationship drama (more on that later). But the "Jekyll & Hyde" case was weird; and Lim and the little girl was also kind of odd - is that going to lead to something?

I did like Shaun and Park working together (more of that, please!), and that he was able to diagnose Jane Doe and give the son some information.

I thought they were reforming Resnick, but she's back to being intolerable again. Can they replace her with someone new next season? I don't even care that Claire and Melendez (❤️!) fooled her, or whatever; her undermining everyone is just not cool.

I like Carly, and I liked Shaun and Carly - despite the writers making sure they were rarely happy together - and I thought the show did her dirty. I mean, I knew that this relationship would be temporary and be a way to "prep" Shaun for his next and/or permanent love interest, but to have Carly actually say that to him to push him to Lea? ::bleerchk::

Not a fan of Lea; internal and external groaning whenever she was onscreen or mentioned. I think she works best as a friend - only. And I suppose at some point they were going to revisit Shaun/Lea as 'more than friends' anyway; but they supposedly love each other now, when there wasn't any real buildup to that for the whole season - especially from Lea's side. I guess there was stuff in the last episode, but that was literally just the last episode.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, rmontro said:

I do agree Carly seems a better match for him.  The person who makes your pulse beat quicker is not necessarily the one who is right for you.  Even if she does like to bring home strange men and have sex with them loudly in the room next door so you can hear.

I looked up the ages of the actors, because it seems to me that Shaun is just going for the younger, hotter alternative.  I was a little surprised that Jasika Nicole (who plays Carly) is 11 years older than Shaun.  She's 39, Freddie Highmore is 28, and Paige Spara (Lea) is 30.

Just another reason where they went wrong. The obvious lack of chemistry and age difference between the two contributed to the lack of authenticity to the relationship.  The whole Carly arc was a mis step and it has taken me out of the spirit of the show.....and wasted my time.  Since I fast forward through Lea I honestly did not know she was using Shaunie and Glassie....oh writers....please stop.  As someone said, they are not reading the room well. 

• Love 1
On 2/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, Annber03 said:

I also agree with all the stuff with Melendez and Claire hanging out together, especially since Melendez was scrutinized over it recently. Sneaking around only makes it worse. I predict that this season will end with all of their sneakiness backfiring in some kind of big way.

I know the bad times are coming, but I'm going to enjoy the good times for now!

On 2/25/2020 at 10:06 PM, catrice2 said:

... I know I seem to be stuck on Jared, but instead of a Leah they needed a male Jared type character to help Shaun learn about women and hanging out, and then attempted a relationship.   ...

I think Leah works as a friend; but I also think Shaun needs a guy friend too. (Glassman is more of a mentor/father figure) It's a little disappointing that they never tried to replace that role when Jared left.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:10 AM, possibilities said:

This would be good to see too.

• Love 3

Yeah, for the longest, I thought Lim was hallucinating the girl and was wondering what was happening to her, but it ends up she is real and was someone left on the hospital's doorstep eight years ago?  I mean, unless Lim was also hallucinating the security guard as well and this is still all some kind of brain issue.  I then wondered if maybe they were setting up a possible "Lim was kids" thing, but it ended up just being a classic "Call your mother, kids!" resolution.  A tale as old as time!

The Jekyll/Hyde case was a hell of a ride.  I thought the actor playing him/them did a great job.  And it looks like Reznick really was the sole complainer about Claire/Melendez, and Park really was just trying to help Claire out last week.  Of course, Reznick is already claiming she is sorry for her actions, but at this point, I don't think I'll ever believe that Reznick regrets anything she does.

Shaun was clearly using his case to delay the inevitable, but it was fun seeing him team up with Park again.

While I wasn't wild about Shaun/Carly, I feel bad for the latter, since she now has to basically be supportive and help guide him, even though she still clearly has feelings for him.  And I hope that them breaking them up doesn't mean they'll jettison the character, because Jasika Nicole deserves better.

Melendez/Claire continuing to hide their mentorship thing is so going to bite them in the ass, right?

So, it really looks like they're going with Shaun and Lea actually "loving each other", but Lea not wanting to go there, because she worries he won't be able to handle all of the baggage she has.  Yeah, I can't say I'm happy about this.  I was with the idea that they truly had a friendship/bond that was rock solid and they might even understand one another in ways others won't, but I just never bought a real romantic connection between them.  It just feels half-backed and underdeveloped.  Credit where credit is due though, both Freddie Highmore and Paige Spara sold the hell out of that final scene.

All in all, I agree it was a messy, weird episode.  Still, it was great seeing Freddie Highmore in the director's chair again.  Guy is multitalented!

• Love 5
On 2/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, Trini said:

I thought they were reforming Resnick, but she's back to being intolerable again. Can they replace her with someone new next season? I don't even care that Claire and Melendez (❤️!) fooled her, or whatever; her undermining everyone is just not cool.

Resnick has her problems, although they tried to soften her ratting them out this episode with her rationale/motivation.  Anyway, I like the scenes with her and Claire, they work together well onscreen.

I hope Resnick's RA issues don't end up with her off the surgical team, because she's a good part of the mix IMO, even if she can't be fully trusted.  Maybe Shaun will come up with some genius contrived fix for her problems and she'll be able to stay a surgeon. 

23 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

While I wasn't wild about Shaun/Carly, I feel bad for the latter, since she now has to basically be supportive and help guide him, even though she still clearly has feelings for him.

Maybe Carly will end up in the friend role with Lea as the lover.  I guess a relationship with Lea, if it happens, will likely be more stormy than one with Carly.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

I found this episode a little boring.  Shaun and Leah were totally predictable.  Lim’s story wasn’t really interesting unless it’s a precursor to her wanting to have or adopt a child or something along those lines.  The split personality guy was interesting though a little weird.  I did chuckle about Shaun going to jail.  I also agree that Park would be a great friend for Shaun.  He seems to know what makes him tick. 

What I really did not care for was the Claire/Melendez shenanigans.  I don’t like where this is going.  I like both of them, but they certainly aren’t showing their best selves.  If they are acting like their friendship is something to hide, then it goes without saying, there probably is something to hide. 

• Love 3
On 2/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, Annber03 said:

Shaun was right to get frustrated about how everyone seemed to keep speaking for him and telling him how he felt...they're still all making assumptions about why Shaun's doing this and why he's feeling that way, and what he wants or how he feels seems to be kind of lost as a result. Would he have still told Lea how he felt at the end had he not been talking to others throughout the episode? Who knows. But I do think that's an aspect to consider as well.

The final straw for me was Glassman telling him, "What if you tell Leah how you feel and she tells you she loves you, too?" Really, Glassie? You know Leah, did you really think that was a likely outcome, and knowing Shaun like you do, do you really think he would handle it well if/when he gets disappointed?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:59 PM, statsgirl said:

For me the emotional payoff was in Shaun's desperation to find out what went wrong, looking for a situation that he could fix as he couldn't fix his love life.

This was a major precept of House.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:51 AM, rmontro said:

My fear is she was being completely direct with Shaun.  That she does love him, and wants to be with him, but she doesn't think her personal issues make her good for him.  Which doesn't ring true for me, because she didn't like him in that way before.  That could have changed, but it doesn't seem likely.

Yes, I could buy that she loves him as a friend, but not that she wants to be with him. I also think she could have explained in terms that she simply believes they aren't compatible as a result of their personalities, which is perfectly valid, instead of letting him conclude it's because he's autistic. I hate that they ended on that note. He could be neurotypical and still not be the kind of guy who could handle her baggage.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, KaveDweller said:

I was totally left feeling like Lim is going to feel a pull toward motherhood.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, Calvada said:

I used to work with someone who did that all the time - Bob became Bobby, Tim became Timmy, Barb became Barbie, and so on.  I think I bothered him because my name does not lend itself to that type of nickname.  And the guy who did this insisted on being called by his full name  - he was David, not Dave and certainly not Davy.  He even used his full name, with middle name, to sing documents. 

Please tell me you called him Davy anyway.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:25 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, it really looks like they're going with Shaun and Lea actually "loving each other", but Lea not wanting to go there, because she worries he won't be able to handle all of the baggage she has.  Yeah, I can't say I'm happy about this.  I was with the idea that they truly had a friendship/bond that was rock solid and they might even understand one another in ways others won't, but I just never bought a real romantic connection between them.  It just feels half-backed and underdeveloped.  Credit where credit is due though, both Freddie Highmore and Paige Spara sold the hell out of that final scene.

In complete agreement with every word!

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ForReal said:

The final straw for me was Glassman telling him, "What if you tell Leah how you feel and she tells you she loves you, too?" Really, Glassie? You know Leah, did you really think that was a likely outcome, and knowing Shaun like you do, do you really think he would handle it well if/when he gets disappointed?

Yeah, that threw me a bit, too, given how he's made his feelings about Lea very clear thus far. 

• Love 1
On 2/29/2020 at 9:30 AM, ForReal said:

Please tell me you called him Davy anyway.

No, I constantly called him Dave!  Not quite as obvious, but an almost daily dig which irked him, and very enjoyable for me because he never had a clue I was doing it on purpose. 

• Love 3