Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Yankee

Watching the rerun this weekend of the last episode, I'd guess  it will be a straight continuation.  There is still many story lines to tie up before developing a new one.

Watching the rerun this weekend of the last episode, I'd guess  it will be a straight continuation.  There is still many story lines to tie up before developing a new one.

I bet there will be a short time jump - days or a week or two maybe. Nobody was in a life-or-death cliffhanger moment so they can have moved things along a bit from the finale.

I just hope they give enough "previouslies" to trigger my memories of the show. It's been a while, and I'm getting old--which also means my TV viewing skills were honed in an era of broadcast-only TV with a full summer of reruns.

• Love 2

I really, really hope that they don't spend much time on the "Marco is determined to kill the serial killer" plotline. Everything about the serial killer stuff from last season stunk to high heaven.

Blakeston, you're so right -- there were so many holes in that plot, the writers should have been ashamed.  I saw feedback on that everywhere -- hope the writers saw it too.

So glad this show is back. 

I liked the opening with Cowboy Lyle going into the blood-soaked house.  I was thinking Well, that's sure as shit something you won't see on the Denmark/Sweden border...

The Bridge is back!  With about nine different storylines that I was struggling to make sense of, but the intensity was all there.  Sonya, Sonya, Sonya.  I take it you aren't going to exchange phone numbers?  Is Hank still in the saddle, or did he retire to the ranch? 

[Jack Dobbs' brain]This chick is so weird. Yeah, but she's hot. But my brother killed her sister. Yeah, but she's really hot. She keeps pictures and drawings of my brothers'. Yeah, but she's like volcanically hot. What the fuck is she doing? Just shut the fuck up and go with it.[/Jack Dobbs' Brain]

As far as Franka Potente goes, I guess it's the week for rampaging Germans.

• Love 7
(edited)

Can someone clarify the timeline a bit for me here?

First Franke Potente (aka the German cartel woman who dresses like a bible saleswoman) crosses into the US, and takes that guy Jovani in a hybrid to that office, where she orders him to cut off the assistant's ear. Then she and Jovani show up at the home being shown by that real estate agent. (I take it that was the house the old woman died in last season?)

Then, at some later point, Lyle Lovett shows up at the same house and there's blood everywhere, and a cardboard cutout of the real estate agent? And Sonya and Wade are called to a scene where the hybrid is going around in a circle with Jovani's body in it and a live dog? And Franke Potenta is alive, and naked in the street somewhere, rinsing off?

Is that right? I'm assuming we were shown things out of order somewhat.

Edited by Blakeston

Lyle Lovett came in after Jovanni and Franke visited Chip Diaz, the real estate agent. We don't see what happened in the house, only the aftermath. After the cold open, we see Franke and Jovanni coming into the U.S., obviously before the events at the Diaz house. I assume Diaz provided a stash house for the banker (and the cartel, obviously) and screwed up, leading to the seizure.

(edited)

The Bridge is back. I am confused and have no clue what is going on so that means nothing has changed. Nice to have Marco, Sonya, Hank, and Linder around again though. I wonder if Eva considers herself Linders' bride?

Was the dog in the car alive? I did not see it move.

Poor Adriana. Her sister is most likely dead.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Lyle Lovett came in after Jovanni and Franke visited Chip Diaz, the real estate agent. We don't see what happened in the house, only the aftermath. After the cold open, we see Franke and Jovanni coming into the U.S., obviously before the events at the Diaz house. I assume Diaz provided a stash house for the banker (and the cartel, obviously) and screwed up, leading to the seizure.

I'm not sure Chip Diaz had anything to do with the seizure. Unless he was the courier?

Last season, Adriana and Frye found an insane amount of money in a dead old woman's home. We found out in this episode that the guy with the Mickey Mantle baseball was overseeing the money, and the money was left in the house when it shouldn't have been, because of a courier's mistake.

Then Franke Potenta and Jovani go to a house that's on the market. I'm assuming that's the house where the money was kept? If so, then it seems like an odd coincidence that the real estate agent selling the dead woman's house was also the courier who screwed up moving the money.

The last thing Eleanor (Potente) asks in her meeting is the name of the courier, so I assumed that was Chip Diaz. I assumed that the seizure that DeLarge and Eleanor were talking about happened offscreen (or last season and I forgot).

Yeah, it appears that Diaz was the courier who screwed up, but that wasn't the same house where Frye found the money last season.

A couple of confusing points -- why did Eleanor kill her sidekick, and why did she tell him "No" when he asked about bringing his tools into the house.  There was already a machete in the house? 

I love this show but the plotting isn't always what it should be.  If Diaz was the courier, wouldn't he know he screwed up and wouldn't he be hiding somewhere, like Antarctica, maybe? 

Loved seeing Kevin from The Office, and that big dude from ER.

• Love 2

I'm glad the show is back, but a bit of a strange return on some levels.  Sonya and Marco only had one scene, and were mainly off doing their own things.  And Linder and Charlotte didn't even warrant being in the premiere, despite the actors still being regulars.  I'll be patient for now, but I hope we start getting into some Sonya/Marco stuff soon.

Until then, damn!  Franke Potenta has just showed up as some kind of German cartel member, who really hates it when you spill tea on her.  Oh, and when you lose millions of their dollars.  And, that was also her washing herself at the end, right?  So, on the surface, she's dressed like a elegant businesswoman, but she's got a shit ton of creepy tattoos, underneath those suits.  Yeah, she's going to be causing some problems, I'm sure.

Fun seeing the famailer faces in supporting roles like the Snakes on the Plane dude, Kevin from The Office, and Dr. Phlox from Star Trek: Enterprise.

I guess Sonya really isn't going to let someone being the brother of her sister's killer, prevent her from sleeping with him, if she finds him attractive.  That's so Sonya!  And I certainly can believe the guy was pretty much "This is weird, but she's insanely gorgeous, so fuck it!"  Ah, the Diane Kruger factor.

Not sure what to make of Hank getting stalked by this Mexican police officer, who seems to be after Eva.  Curious to see where they are going with Daniel and Adriana (glad they're regulars!)  Meanwhile, people on the force are actually trying to kill Marco?  Uh oh!

• Love 1

Well, I'm totally confused.  I love this show, though.  I'm glad someone explained that the naked tattooed woman at the end was Eleanor.  I wonder if the dog in the car was the same collie that Bob The Path guy saw before he went to meet Hank to pick up Eva?

Why is Sonya all of a sudden different, yet the same?

Yeah, it's like she's only half as "autistic" (for lack of a better word) than she was last season.

• Love 2

Yeah, it appears that Diaz was the courier who screwed up, but that wasn't the same house where Frye found the money last season.

A couple of confusing points -- why did Eleanor kill her sidekick, and why did she tell him "No" when he asked about bringing his tools into the house.  There was already a machete in the house? 

I love this show but the plotting isn't always what it should be.  If Diaz was the courier, wouldn't he know he screwed up and wouldn't he be hiding somewhere, like Antarctica, maybe? 

Loved seeing Kevin from The Office, and that big dude from ER.

Oh, it wasn't the same house...okay, that explains it, he was the courier.

As for why Diaz didn't flee, it sounded like the Mickey Mantle fan took pity on him, and told him that everything was going to be fine, and he wouldn't rat him out to the cartel. So much for that.

And I don't think we're supposed to have any idea how Jovani ended up dead.

Quote:

Why is Sonya all of a sudden different, yet the same?

Yeah, it's like she's only half as "autistic" (for lack of a better word) than she was last season.

My husband and I both thought she seemed less Asperger-y, but then we both think she's a weak actress. Fortunately there's a lot of good actors to offset her.

Somehow I got it in my head that Famke Janssen was going to play the killer this season, and I was looking forward to that. It turns out to be an actress named Franka Potente. Oh well. This episode confused me and I don't know I'll like this season as much as the first. Glad Widow Morticia is back to tie up her storyline. I like Matthew Lillard but I'm getting annoyed with his alcoholic schtick. Can we tone it down a bit? 

And please, no Marco/Sonya hookup.

I like Matthew Lillard but i'm getting annoyed with his alcoholic schtick. Can we tone it down a bit?

I kind of like his cheerful sleaziness. He thinks he can talk his way into or out of anything.

Who did Brad WIlliam Henke play? He's not listed on IMBD for the episode, but then neither is Diane Kruger (!).

Poor Kyle. Just trying to climb the ladder of success, and with one ill-timed splash, he loses an ear.

Who did Brad WIlliam Henke play? He's not listed on IMBD for the episode, but then neither is Diane Kruger (!).

He was Jim Dobbs last season (guy who killed Sonya's sister), so I guess that was him lying in the bed, during the Sonya/Dobbs' brother scene.  Not a bad days work, I suspect.

My husband and I both thought she seemed less Asperger-y, but then we both think she's a weak actress. Fortunately there's a lot of good actors to offset her.

Somehow I got it in my head that Famke Janssen was going to play the killer this season, and I was looking forward to that. It turns out to be an actress named Franka Potente. Oh well. This episode confused me and I don't know I'll like this season as much as the first. Glad Widow Morticia is back to tie up her storyline. I like Matthew Lillard but I'm getting annoyed with his alcoholic schtick. Can we tone it down a bit? 

I figure last season's events conspired to yank Sonya out of her shell and force her to deal with the real world on its own terms.  She still manifests it a little bit of that "rules are rules" bit ("There's no smoking here!").

I don't know if Franka Potenta is going to be "the killer" but she's clearly "a killer."  She seems to be a kind of dark mirror of Sonya with the odd things she chooses to care about (Hybrids, the dude getting in her line, tea spillage).

I figure that some kind of Marco/Sonya hookup is inevitable.  I'm not looking forward to it, but I don't dread it either.

• Love 1

Wow lots of actors we know from other shows, joining in.

Weird to see Kevin from the Office not talking like Kevin and just a regular Joe..

So Eleanor is a German lady in the show right? because they mentioned half the money on the house was Euros, so it's the German cartel involved (maybe the same from Breaking Bad? LOL)

Oh Sonya, what to say... I guess she was horny, she even suggested sex to Marco a little bit, but Marco wasn't in the mood until later, and she takes that guy she barely knows and related to her sister's killer? WTF?

Sonya, no! Don't do it, Sonya! Yes, that's very weird! Eeewwww!

That was confusing, but I loved it anyway. If Eleanor is going to be the main baddie this season, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it much better than S1.

(edited)

Until then, damn!  Franke Potenta has just showed up as some kind of German cartel member, who really hates it when you spill tea on her.  Oh, and when you lose millions of their dollars.  And, that was also her washing herself at the end, right?  So, on the surface, she's dressed like a elegant businesswoman, but she's got a shit ton of creepy tattoos, underneath those suits.  Yeah, she's going to be causing some problems, I'm sure.

[...]

Not sure what to make of Hank getting stalked by this Mexican police officer, who seems to be after Eva.  Curious to see where they are going with Daniel and Adriana (glad they're regulars!)  Meanwhile, people on the force are actually trying to kill Marco?  Uh oh!

I love Franka Potente so damn much. I would describe her attire as more Polygamy Fundamentalist School Teacher Chic instead of elegant business woman, but still. ;) I was wondering last season what was going to come from the Euro angle Daniel and Adriana stumbled on and machete wielding, tattoo covered henchman Franka Potente is a pretty great result. Speaking of Daniel and Adriana, I didn't realize how much I missed that duo until that diner scene with Adriana's girlfriend. Did we meet her last season....? 

I think it makes sense that the Juarez cops are after Hank and Eva. On of the cops at that party in the finale last season was supposed to kill Eva, but took her to that convent-ish place instead and when the other cops found out they murdered him. Even though she was drugged, Eva is an eyewitness to a bunch of shady Juarez police activity and they want to get rid of all the loose ends. I swear if anything happens to Hank or Eva I will be furious. I kind of flove them you guys. Is it weird that I would totally watch a show about Hank, Sonya and Eva tending to a ranch?

Not that I don't enjoy these characters (I do), but I actually liked that the premiere didn't include Linder or Charlotte. If the writers/PTB don't think some characters need to be shown in a certain ep, then I'd rather they not show them instead of shoehorn them in just because the actors are in the main credits.

I'm not to sure how I feel about Sonya and the brother (Wyatt?), but I'm guessing Sonya is sort of latching herself to him because he's the next best thing to a connection to answers about her sisters death if Dobbs dies. Show get props for showing a lady getting some oral though. A tip of the hat to you, FX.

I'm glad Marco wanting to kill Tate was almost non-existent. I'd rather it wasn't there at all, but I think I can take it if it stays as a back burner thing. I'd rather it be used as a point for Sonya and Marco's partnership. Hopefully Sonya finds out and manages to talk him out of it. Y'know, without having to shoot him again.

I think I might actually stop watching if that happens. Marco is such a man-whore that I was sort of expecting it to happen at some point last year and I was so glad it didn't. When Sonya made the joke about Marco being able to have sex with anybody I thought, "Don't you fucking dare, show!"

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 1
(edited)

Considering how much Marco and Sonya like sex, especially with inappropriate people, it is unbelievable that they have not had sex already. I am looking forward them having sex. It will be hot as hell.

I had a light bulb moment. Chip Diaz did not know who Franke Potenta and that guy was. He thought they were here to see the house.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I'm so glad this show is back, even though half the time it's like trying to put a jigsaw puzzle together in the dark.

It takes a village to figure the whole thing out.  Without reading other's comments last season I could never have gotten the whole picture, and it looks like this season will be the same.

Love Hank.  You just know that even if he was a 100 year old codger, he'd still blast anybody who tried to hurt someone under his protection.  I fear for Eva, I think she should have stayed with him.

Love the way Sonya goes right after any guy she wants.  She is unhampered by the concepts of appropriate and inappropriate, and while it's dangerous, it sure is fun.

How convenient that Marco's hotel room, or whatever it is, has a shared balcony.  When he walked out there and looked around the street I thought he was going to notice someone down there who had something to do with the story.  But no, instead there came the woman walking out of her door onto the same balcony.  I laughed.  It was kind of silly, really.  There certainly wasn't any doubt about what would happen next.

Lyle and his big hat.  Wonder what his connection will be to Evil Prissy Lady.  Am I mistaken or did Lyle, at the end of his scene, have a couple of drops of blood on top of the brim of his big hat?

• Love 1

Replaying the episode, looks like Eleanor killed her sidekick because he didn't follow her instructions when they were crossing the border and she had told him to get in another line.  That's been bugging me -- my serial killers need a reason to kill. 

A Sonya-Marco hookup would be natural, considering their propensities.  The only reason I don't want it is because that's what all the other shows do, and I want The Bridge to be above all that. 

Someone above mentioned last night's episode was something like putting together a jigsaw puzzle in the dark.  And that's almost precisely the analogy I came up with as I puzzled my way through that maze from scene to scene trying to see the pattern, the whole picture.  And I thought to myself, this is like doing a jigsaw puzzle that has no edge pieces.  I always start with those....the ones with a straight edge....and it helps me figure out everything else about the puzzle.  Without any straight edge pieces, however, the whole thing is a bit of a random mess.  Thanks to those of you who answered some of my questions (including verifying that it WAS Elinor's very naked, very tatooed body at the end.  But why did she murmur 'help me'?)  I cast my vote for no hook up between Sonya and Marco.  One of my favorite cop duo relationships is the sweet friendship between Holder and Linden on The Killing.  A hook up changes everything.  It complicates one of the few simple things about that particular show, and would do the same in The Bridge.

On another note......has anyone watched the Wallander series?  I am catching up on S3 on Netflix, and must admit I had never heard of it.  Crikey, the Scandinavians do have a knack for very dark police procedurals.  Saw 'The Keeper of Lost Causes' at the Seattle International Film Festival last month, and the word 'dark' doesn't begin to describe the depth of depravity of the bad guy in that story.  There does not appear to be a Wallander forum on PTV?

(edited)

Ok, show, you can fuck right off with dedicating an entire conversation to mocking Rush fans. Did the writer's girlfriend leave him for a prog rock musician or something?

Lyle and his big hat. Wonder what his connection will be to Evil Prissy Lady. Am I mistaken or did Lyle, at the end of his scene, have a couple of drops of blood on top of the brim of his big hat?

It dripped down from the landing above him, where there was another body and someone holding a machete. I stopped watching after the Rush scene, and now that it seems from this thread that the cold open also doesn't get explained, I'm not sure I'm going to bother continuing. I stopped watching last season due to the incomprehensible plot.

Edited by kieyra
(edited)

So Eleanor is a German lady in the show right? because they mentioned half the money on the house was Euros, so it's the German cartel involved (maybe the same from Breaking Bad? LOL)

I'm not convinced there isn't a connection--well, at least an homage--given the whole tea with cream thing.

It dripped down from the landing above him, where there was another body and someone holding a machete.

I assume that corpse was the henchman--who later was discovered in the car doing donuts.

I was just thinking to myself, "Everything goes better with Dr. Phlox...," and then...an ear. Ick.

Later on the captioning had the henchman saying something like, "I thought you would go for the hand."

Did anyone catch cartel lady's response?

IRL both Sonia and Marco would totally have a pantheon of incurable STDs by now.

I do think it made sense for her to have sexual relations with someone with whom she shared very strong feelings about the most important thing in her life. For most people, that wouldn't have been the case in this instance, but for her it did.

The opening songs were so wonderful, I guess I can forgive the following mayhem.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

IRL both Sonia and Marco would totally have a pantheon of incurable STDs by now.

No way. People who like sex and don't have hang ups like Marco and Sonya are far more likely buy and use condoms. Puritanical people who like to pretend that they do not have sex are the ones more likely not buy condoms so they are not available for when they get "swept away" and do have sex. 

I do not buy into this automatic rejection of romance among main characters. I don't see Sonya and Marco having a long term romance, but if they did hook up, I don't believe for a second that it would impact their working relationship. It would definitely add an interesting dynamic to show. In any case, I have no idea if the writers are going there. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Thanks to those of you who answered some of my questions (including verifying that it WAS Elinor's very naked, very tatooed body at the end.  But why did she murmur 'help me'?)

I assumed she wanted the boys to come closer so she could kill them. Can't have any witnesses and all that. I expect their bodies to show up in an episode or two.

I was just thinking to myself, "Everything goes better with Dr. Phlox...," and then...an ear. Ick.

Later on the captioning had the henchman saying something like, "I thought you would go for the hand."

Did anyone catch cartel lady's response?

She said the ear was better because he wasn't listening. What was with the "I can help you look good with a new dress" talk? Their whole dynamic was weird.

I'm in for the season as long as they don't hurt Eva. She's been through more than enough!

• Love 1
(edited)

Somehow I got it in my head that Famke Janssen was going to play the killer this season, and I was looking forward to that. It turns out to be an actress named Franka Potente

Heh, I guess I'm not the only one who does this then. I know the difference between the two actresses but always get their names mixed up. Franka has changed a lot since Run, Lola, Run and even looks still different here than she did on Copper. I read in some publicity for this season that the character is a Mennonite, which explains the dress and probably some of her other behavioral eccentricities. I too think that Diaz was the courier and that the slaughter was probably enacted by the cartel that backs Charlotte, since Lyle Lovett showed up.

Sonya slept with the brother, I believe, for the same reason she doesn't want Jack to die and keeps his drawings on her refrigerator. She cannot give up her sister--thus wearing her jacket all the time--and anything or anyone that has a chain of connection to her sister she also gloms onto. It is really bizarre, though, to have consensual sex with the brother of the man who had violent, non-consensual sex with the person you are trying to remember.

Edited by Cardie
  • Love 1

It dripped down from the landing above him, where there was another body and someone holding a machete. I stopped watching after the Rush scene, and now that it seems from this thread that the cold open also doesn't get explained, I'm not sure I'm going to bother continuing. I stopped watching last season due to the incomprehensible plot.

I thought the cold opening was explained.  It was pretty obvious to me that the realtor who was showing the new home was the courier who fucked up.  

The only thing that bothered me was that the person holding the machete was Potente, and the only reason I know that is because I had to re-watch the beginning. I shouldn't have to watch the show again to connect the dots.

• Love 1

Looks like wifey took Marco's ass to the cleaners.

Wasn't Marco wife sleeping with the killer? The same killer that killed Marco's son? Why wasn't that addressed?

I read these posts, and pick up things I had  not seen or understood before, then I go back and watch the episode again and after doing this 2 or 3 times, I understand more.Not everything but more. Not  sure if this constitutes a good series or not, but it does keep me involved.

• Love 1

I'm disappointed that there weren't more Marco/Sonya scenes, but it's the first episode. I'm assuming things will click into place, but they threw a lot at the screen.

"We need a badass female cartel member. Someone that actually will scare the shit out of the viewers."
"Can she be German?"
"Sure. Why not?"

"We should totally call Franke Potente."

• Love 1

I thought the cold opening was explained.  It was pretty obvious to me that the realtor who was showing the new home was the courier who fucked up.  

The only thing that bothered me was that the person holding the machete was Potente, and the only reason I know that is because I had to re-watch the beginning. I shouldn't have to watch the show again to connect the dots.

Now I am confused. We saw Potente/Eleanor Nacht washing herself at the outdoor carwash, right? Are you saying she was also playing dead with the machete in opening scene in the house when Lyle walked in?