Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Yankee

Are you saying she was also playing dead with the machete in opening scene in the house when Lyle walked in?

There were dripping body parts on the stairs but the person holding the machete seemed to me to be alive and standing upright at the top of them, viewed at an extreme upward angle. I did not recognize that person as Potente, even after she showed up; I thought it was her male sidekick. The most likely scenario is that she works for the same organization Lyle represents and she called him out there once the job was done. Then some wild card must have entered the picture to result in the ever-circling hybrid, the dog and her naked in the alley. (Alternately, machete person is the one who caused the situation with the Prius and naked Eleanor.)

There were dripping body parts on the stairs but the person holding the machete seemed to me to be alive and standing upright at the top of them, viewed at an extreme upward angle. I did not recognize that person as Potente, even after she showed up; I thought it was her male sidekick. The most likely scenario is that she works for the same organization Lyle represents and she called him out there once the job was done.

Ah. Yes. The body parts not shown as separate confused me.

I loved how Lyle was already wearing rain waders when he came slip sliding into that house.  Ewwww!

I'm pretty sure those were just cowboy boots, no? The same ones that Marco saw last season?
(edited)

Now I am confused. We saw Potente/Eleanor Nacht washing herself at the outdoor carwash, right? Are you saying she was also playing dead with the machete in opening scene in the house when Lyle walked in?

Exactly.  I had to watch it again, but Potente was peaking over the stairway with a machete dripping blood on Lyle's hat. He gave her a smile. I have no idea what the cell phone call meant.

So, yup. Not confusing at all in a WTFBBQ kinda way.

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure those were just cowboy boots, no? The same ones that Marco saw last season?

Nope.  They were rubber waders.  I just watched that scene again to make sure.  Lyle apparently comes prepared.  I assumed he was fulfilling a role like Mike on Breaking Bad - coming to clean up after the carnage.

• Love 1

Wasn't Marco wife sleeping with the killer? The same killer that killed Marco's son? Why wasn't that addressed?

I read these posts, and pick up things I had  not seen or understood before, then I go back and watch the episode again and after doing this 2 or 3 times, I understand more.Not everything but more. Not  sure if this constitutes a good series or not, but it does keep me involved.

So much this. Marco was a crappy husband, which is certainly enough reason to divorce him, but it seems like she blames him for what happened.

Nobody made her get involved with a serial killer, she's as much to blame for almost getting her family blown up as Marco is. Her being a dumbass that got manipulated is on her, not him.

• Love 1

I just rewatched the opening again and now it makes sense.  I also was confused, thinking there were several bodies in the house, not one chopped up.  It is definitely Eleanor looking down on Lyle from the balcony.  He even gives her a smile.  At the end of the scene he tries calling someone and is surprised to hear the phone ring in the next room.  Who was he calling?  The dead sidekick?

At the end of the scene he tries calling someone and is surprised to hear the phone ring in the next room.  Who was he calling?  The dead sidekick?

It almost looked like he dialed 911 to get the cops to clean it up, but I guess it was just a speed dial number.

Now I am confused. We saw Potente/Eleanor Nacht washing herself at the outdoor carwash, right? Are you saying she was also playing dead with the machete in opening scene in the house when Lyle walked in?

She didn't look dead to me -- just tired, exhausted, worn out.  Dismemberment ain't for sissies! 

Wasn't she smiling? 

She didn't look dead to me -- just tired, exhausted, worn out.  Dismemberment ain't for sissies! 

Wasn't she smiling?

Yeah, I had to rewatch that part more than once to figure it out--it goes by pretty quick. The first time I saw it, I thought I saw the bloody hand and forearm holding a knife. I wonder if they didn't actually show the body parts separate from the body because of the cost of special effects, or if it was because of the network's philosophical limits on graphic violence. Having seen too many Bones scenes on network TV, it can't be the second.

Ooo. I just realized they probably did it to make the opening ambiguous. If so, mission accomplished.

Lyle would expect the sidekick and Diaz to be there.  So he must have phoned someone else from the cartel who wasn't supposed to be there--or else was supposed to have neutralized Eleanor and sidekick.

As I remember it, Lyle was standing in front of the life-sized cutout of Chip Diaz, holding Chip Diaz's business cards when he made the call. I assumed he called Chip's cell (from the card) and on hearing it ring, recognized, or was reassured, that Chip had been butchered.

• Love 1

As I remember it, Lyle was standing in front of the life-sized cutout of Chip Diaz, holding Chip Diaz's business cards when he made the call. I assumed he called Chip's cell (from the card) and on hearing it ring, recognized, or was reassured, that Chip had been butchered.

That seems so obvious now that you mention it, that I feel really stupid for not figuring it out. Thanks.

So much this. Marco was a crappy husband, which is certainly enough reason to divorce him, but it seems like she blames him for what happened.

Nobody made her get involved with a serial killer, she's as much to blame for almost getting her family blown up as Marco is. Her being a dumbass that got manipulated is on her, not him.

I can buy that Alma would be angry at Marco over Gus's death - just because it's common that when a child dies, one parent will irrationally blame the other on some level.

But I get this weird sense that the writers really want us to think that Marco did something much worse than just cheating on his wife, and screwing his friend's wife years ago. It's like we're supposed to believe that Marco made his bed by endangering the lives of others, and now he's lying in it.

And I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Marco isn't any more liable for what happened to Tate's wife and son than I would be if I called up a friend and said, "Come over to my place and check out my new sound system," and my friend was on my way to my apartment when he was hit by a drunk driver.

• Love 1

Phew, glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't understand a bit of what happened during the premiere.  It didn't help that my Directv for some reason stopped the recording at about 64 minutes, so I didn't get to see the last ten minutes.  What happened?  Something about a naked Franka Potente washing herself at a carwash?  Guess I missed it.

I generally liked Season 1, but I'll admit I don't really remember how it ended or what the new plotline was supposed to be.  Something about missing women.  Perhaps this show is too complicated for me.  If it stays like this, I might have to abandon it.  TV shouldn't be this hard to figure out...

• Love 2

I can buy that Alma would be angry at Marco over Gus's death - just because it's common that when a child dies, one parent will irrationally blame the other on some level.

And Gus wasn't even her son, was he?  I thought that Gus was from Marcos' first marriage.

I generally liked Season 1, but I'll admit I don't really remember how it ended or what the new plotline was supposed to be.  Something about missing women.  Perhaps this show is too complicated for me....

I found this post on the Past Seasons thread immensely helpful:

I think the promos look good. I could use a marathon too.

Off the top of my head, we left off with:

Gus dead at the hands of Marco's former FBI partner (David?)

Marco broken because of Gus's death; Alma had left him too.

Sonya was trying to get Marco back to work, but he, at first, wanted nothing to do with her. She had been unable to save Gus in time.

Sonya's boss due to retire but probably won't.

The two reporters finding the stacks and stacks of money in a house after a tip and they informed the FBI.

The tall mumbly guy desperate to find the woman he saved and brought to the "farm" but who returned back to CJ and was last seen driven away in a car with TX plates.

And also:

Actually, they found her - she was the one who had been put in a police cell, then drugged/raped at a party full of policeman.  Marco beat up the one policeman and learned that he didn't kill her, but put her in an old monastery.  Sonja got her over the border to Hal's house, where she is recovering.

Also, the female reporter's sister worked at the same factory as Eva (woman that was saved), and never got off the bus at home.

And then there's the Wikipedia episode details: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Bridge_(2013_TV_series)_episodes

And Gus wasn't even her son, was he?  I thought that Gus was from Marcos' first marriage.

Right! Another to add to the list.
  • Love 2

They were very close though. When Alma kicked Marco out last season (I think it was because she found out he had cheated on her), Gus sided with her and continued to live with her. Even though he wasn't her biological son and was "only" her stepson, they were still family.

• Love 2

Phew, glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't understand a bit of what happened during the premiere.  It didn't help that my Directv for some reason stopped the recording at about 64 minutes, so I didn't get to see the last ten minutes.  What happened?  Something about a naked Franka Potente washing herself at a carwash?  Guess I missed it.

I generally liked Season 1, but I'll admit I don't really remember how it ended or what the new plotline was supposed to be.  Something about missing women.  Perhaps this show is too complicated for me.  If it stays like this, I might have to abandon it.  TV shouldn't be this hard to figure out...

You've summed up the show for me. Wanted to like season 1. Should have liked it, as I've loved other 'Nordic Noir' transplants and I'm always up for an autism-spectrum lead. Gave up about halfway through because I didn't know what was going on and didn't care enough to find out. I'd read season 2 had a makeover (that I guess was back-doored at the end of season 1?)  and that the original show runner had left due to creative conflicts, so I thought I might find something more streamlined and with at least a bit of simplified exposition for those viewers they hoped to regain after the makeover. I guess I either missed too much of season 1 or, like you, I just don't have the right mentality/temperament for it. I'll probably watch the threads here for a few more episodes and see if the plot starts to require less explanation from other viewers online. :)

I think we're all smart enough to keep watching.  :)  If everything had been spelled out right away, we'd be bitching about too much exposition.

The only really confusing bit came from the episode being opened with a flash-forward.  Now that we know this might happen again, we'll be better prepared. 

• Love 1
Ok, show, you can fuck right off with dedicating an entire conversation to mocking Rush fans. Did the writer's girlfriend leave him for a prog rock musician or something?

It took me longer to warm up to Grace Under Pressure than the previous albums, but why bag on that album?

Oh Bridge, I need to watch you a week after the show and linked to the Wiki page.

I find myself getting impatient and sometimes damned irate at the difficulty in decoding the show. But then I tell myself that most TV doesn't even require that you watch continuously to know what's going on. So, I'm not sure. I fear that if it weren't for the cast, I might have given up by now.