Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: A Live Chicken, a Fried Chicken and Holy Matrimony

Bort
  • Start Topic

George Sr. and Meemaw struggle to manage the Cooper household while Mary plans Pastor Jeff’s wedding.

Airdate: Thursday, January 9, 2020

As always, please do not discuss events of The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

Georgie's horror that he was getting the Talk from George and Connie was priceless.

George trying to deal with the kids' antics is always good for a laugh. 

For a second, I thought the pastor and his new wife were going to do it right at the altar. Of course they wouldn't allow that on this show but still...

• Love 8

George commenting that he got toilet water in his mouth cracked me up. I also loved him trying to give Georgie "the talk." 

Missy was cute trying to rescue the chicken. Damn Sheldon and his bird phobia. I would have wanted to keep her, lol. 

Seeing The Baywatch theme song made me laugh. I miss that show, heh. 

I also liked George's amusement at the church watching Pastor Jeff and his new wife playing tonsil hockey. George trying to hide his smile from Mary was cute. 

• Love 5

Either the show didn't address it or I somehow missed it, but I didn't realize pastor Jeff was seeing anyone let alone getting close to marriage.  Although it did seem like the show wanted it to look like a sudden thing.

I cracked up at Meemaw and the candy wrapper noise in church.  Oh boy did that make me remember all sorts of related stuff from my distant past, like getting that poke in the ribs in church from my mom if I did something like that!  And from my own young adulthood only a few years after this show was set, with the old choir lady shuffling papers and crackling wrappers getting scowls from the rest of the choir!

And Sheldon with his Star Trek video tape - I STILL have tapes labeled that in my collection, some of which were recorded over in part by other shows!  I still pop them in hoping I'll see an episode only to find an episode of "In Living Color" or "COPS"  instead and I would NEVER have done that!

• Love 4

They did show the pastor's relationship a few times before. There was the episode where they met, and one where they were dating and having a hard time not having sex. I can't remember if there were a lot more references than that, but they have been seeing each other for a while.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

They did show the pastor's relationship a few times before. There was the episode where they met, and one where they were dating and having a hard time not having sex. I can't remember if there were a lot more references than that, but they have been seeing each other for a while.

Thanks, I took a look on IMDB and the last time they had the actress on the show was on October 3 of last year.  The only previous episode she appeared on was in May of 2019.  To my older brain that's a long time ago and I'm likely to forget something that unimportant, relatively speaking.  I think they should have put it in a "previously on Young Sheldon" intro., especially since the show has been on hiatus for a month.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Mary buying a wedding dress for someone else?  No one would allow that, not even slightly weird Robin.

I don't think Robin was aware of it, I think that was all at Mary's instigation. It sounded like Jeff and Robin just wanted tie the knot as quickly as possible but once Jeff asked Mary to help out, she tried to take over and it quickly became all about her unresolved issues.

Funny eppy. Always glad when this show comes back.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks, I took a look on IMDB and the last time they had the actress on the show was on October 3 of last year.  The only previous episode she appeared on was in May of 2019.  To my older brain that's a long time ago and I'm likely to forget something that unimportant, relatively speaking.  I think they should have put it in a "previously on Young Sheldon" intro., especially since the show has been on hiatus for a month.

I think that's why last week's episode was the rerun of them meeting from season 2.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

And Sheldon with his Star Trek video tape - I STILL have tapes labeled that in my collection, some of which were recorded over in part by other shows!

When I taped something I wanted to keep, I always used to pop the tab so I couldn't record over it.  I'm sure I still have them in a box somewhere, but those tapes have probably turned to stone by now.

I think Pastor Jeff's wife left him near the end of season 2, and they mentioned he was divorced early in season 3 (this season).  It might have been the one where he and his girlfriend were having trouble not giving in to temptation.

• Love 1

This may have been mentioned in previous threads and I missed it, but this church looks very similar to the church used in the show Seventh Heaven.  I wonder if it's a recycled set!  

9 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Mary buying a wedding dress for someone else?  No one would allow that, not even slightly weird Robin. 

Maybe Mary was supposed to pick one out she thought she'd like, then Robin would come try it on, but Mary ended up getting carried away with wedding fever.  I felt bad for Mary missing out on having her own special day, but I liked what Pastor Jeff said to her about it. That was nice.  

The ending was pretty funny.  Unwrap a package, indeed! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

'I don't have a license to kill, but I am licensed to perform funerals.' Loved that line.

I thought Pastor Jeff looked quite dapper in his tux. And I liked that he was honest enough to tell Mary she sucked as a wedding planner.

Kind of a meh episode overall. I'm surprised Missy didn't put up more of a fuss at taking the chicken back to be "murdered."

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

This episode was dumb.  Mary buying a wedding dress for someone else?  No one would allow that, not even slightly weird Robin.  🙄

4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Maybe Mary was supposed to pick one out she thought she'd like, then Robin would come try it on, but Mary ended up getting carried away with wedding fever. 

That's exactly what I thought. If I remember correctly, there was a line about pulling dresses, which meant they were going to be put aside, and then Robin would come in later or another day to try them on and pick out her favorite. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

When I taped something I wanted to keep, I always used to pop the tab so I couldn't record over it.  I'm sure I still have them in a box somewhere, but those tapes have probably turned to stone by now.

That works great unless like in my house, someone knew the old trick of taping over the notch to be able to record over it!  I wouldn't put it past Georgie to know that one!

Regarding the kissing at the altar, it reminded me of a reality show I saw once with a virginal couple that slobbered so obscenely during their cringe-worthy ultra-long kiss that I had to turn away!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

This may have been mentioned in previous threads and I missed it, but this church looks very similar to the church used in the show Seventh Heaven.  I wonder if it's a recycled set!  

It’s a real church in Studio City. They rent it out for filming and it appears in a lot of shows and movies. 

I think this episode was way more funnier than the previous one. Great return, Young Sheldon.

Also I think this episode made some viewers feel some sympathy for Mary too and I'm glad that the writers finally gave her some credit (at least they tried). Poor woman, she got to marry in a city hall trying to hiding her pregnancy and never got the chance to plan her wedding. She didn't have the chance to wear a wedding dress. When she was looking at that dress in the store, for a moment I thought that she was going to try it or secretly buy it. 

I love episodes when all the characters have their moments: Sheldon with the Star Trek episode, Meemaw & George trying to handle situations, Georgie with his friend, Georgie & George with "that talk", Missy trying to rescue the chicken, Mary planning Pastor Jeff's wedding... 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That works great unless like in my house, someone knew the old trick of taping over the notch to be able to record over it!  I wouldn't put it past Georgie to know that one!

I'm sure Georgie would know how to do that, he's a bright kid in his own way.  Anyway, there's no indication Sheldon was keeping those tapes, he just wanted to watch that afternoon's episode.  His obsessive nature would probably lead him to want to keep them, but I'm not so sure his parents would buy him all those tapes.  If they had so many tapes, Georgie could have used a new one.

• Love 2

Sheldon on the ST BBS was the best part for me. The production staff is great getting those little details right.  The rest was a mixed bag.  I don't really care about any of the Pastor Jeff stories and I can't believe Missy would try to flush fried chicken but George and Connie were amusing. 

I've been catching up on the earlier seasons of the show.  This one was so-so in comparison. And no Wallace Shawn, who makes any scene warmer/funnier just by being there. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I thought Pastor Jeff looked quite dapper in his tux. And I liked that he was honest enough to tell Mary she sucked as a wedding planner.

He was quite handsome!  I'm liking his and Mary's friendship.  I think it's sweet. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

I can't believe Missy would try to flush fried chicken but George and Connie were amusing. 

I thought it was nice that Connie was willing to help out, given her tenuous relationship with George.  I know it was her grandkids, but still. 

It stands to reason Mary was lousy at wedding planning, she has no experience with it.  Pastor Jeff should have picked someone else.  Hope they don't go through this again if/when Missy gets married.

• Love 1

Can I just say, how much I hate that no wedding can be shown on TV without it being a bank busting affair*? I guess they wanted to show Mary was disappointed that her wedding was "unavoidably rushed" and was trying to compensate by making Pastor Jeff's "special" (ie. expensive) but he did ask for a small wedding (he was right to sack Mary as his wedding planner).

Also, I get that Pastor Jeff is eager, but doesn't his church (Baptist, I think?) have a waiting period to get married? In the Catholic church you have to commit to a year in advance (at least you did in the 90s in England - speaking from experience there) to prove you weren't taking lightly a (theoretically) lifetime commitment. I'm sure that goes double if you are a Minister in the church in question. You can't even legally marry in England at all in less than a month (though I understand that will vary state to state in the US).

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:30 AM, jewel21 said:

I also loved him [George] trying to give Georgie "the talk."

Even better was him saying that if he had to have "the talk", he'd rather get it from dad than Meemaw!

* One of the reasons why one of my favourite TV Weddings is from Suburgatory which actually addresses the fact that most people can't run to Grand Halls and hundreds of guests. The wedding actually looked like it was put together on a limited budget (though probably still more than the couple could actually afford) 

14 minutes ago, John Potts said:

Also, I get that Pastor Jeff is eager, but doesn't his church (Baptist, I think?) have a waiting period to get married? In the Catholic church you have to commit to a year in advance (at least you did in the 90s in England - speaking from experience there) to prove you weren't taking lightly a (theoretically) lifetime commitment.

I got married in a Catholic church in Canada in the early '80s and the only condition the church imposed on us was that we take a few classes with the priest along with a few other engaged couples - sort of a marriage counselling thing to prove we were ready for marriage.  Shockingly our priest recommended we not rush the baby production 😊.

15 hours ago, John Potts said:

Can I just say, how much I hate that no wedding can be shown on TV without it being a bank busting affair*? I guess they wanted to show Mary was disappointed that her wedding was "unavoidably rushed" and was trying to compensate by making Pastor Jeff's "special" (ie. expensive) but he did ask for a small wedding (he was right to sack Mary as his wedding planner).

I hope this isn't too specific to count as a spoiler, but all the weddings on The Big Bang Theory were actually pretty small.  With the non-existent budgets on soaps nowadays, those weddings are usually pretty small also.

• Love 3
On 1/9/2020 at 9:23 PM, Spartan Girl said:

For a second, I thought the pastor and his new wife were going to do it right at the altar. Of course they wouldn't allow that on this show but still...

Funnily enough, Pastor Jeff and Robin (Matt Hobby and Mary Grill) are also married in real life!! I think that's part of the reason why their prolonged kissing at the altar was a bit squicky to me. 

On another note, Matt Hobby reminds me of a young Orel Hershiser. The facial features, especially, are uncanny.

Edited by catlover79

"My dad wants to eat Matilda."

"It's not as bad as it sounds. She stopped laying eggs, so it's off with her head and into the fryer."

"None of my friends had recorded the episode. I called Tam. I called Dr. Sturgis. Those were all my friends."

"She's not trying to kill you."

"Oh, yeah? Then why was there hate in her eyes?"

"That's how everybody looks at you."

Edited by januaryman
  • Love 1
On 3/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, John Potts said:

Also, I get that Pastor Jeff is eager, but doesn't his church (Baptist, I think?) have a waiting period to get married?

Don't think so.  I have relatives who are Baptists, and the last time one of them got married, the only reason there was a waiting period was that the venue was booked up in advance.  And the bride had ordered her dress, so they had to wait for it to arrive.  It does vary from specific church to church, though; some require more of a waiting period.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, Beany Malone said:

I got married in a Catholic church in Canada in the early '80s and the only condition the church imposed on us was that we take a few classes

That's pre-Cana,, which is pretty much required.