Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Everything's On the Menu

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 1
On 1/10/2020 at 9:42 PM, Celeca said:

I once had a co worker who would put mayo on everything. Literally. Pizza, eggs, pie, etc. Grossed everyone out. He would get those little packages of mayo from the fast food restaurant and carry them with. He was my parents’ age. (I’m 41.)

OMG.  That gives me nightmares!!!!!  Mayo is my #1 hated thing.

• Love 4

One of my best friends growing up was a ballet dancer, and her biggest guilty pleasure was slathering mayo on a slice of bread she would eat with her soups and salads...

I like mayo on some salads and sandwiches, but I hardly use a small jar in a year... 

And I also cannot tell the difference between Miracle Whip and mayo!  All different brands of the same stuff!

• Love 2

To me Mayo tastes very bland, and Miracle Whip has much more tang to it.     However, there are some regional Mayo brands that taste much more acidic (Duke's), and they taste very different from regular Mayo.     

SInce my family believes a lot of old wives tales, I think they dislike Mayo because they believe the story that it spoils and will give you food poisoning.   However, anything can give you food poisoning, and it is ridiculous to blame everything on one condiment. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Has there ever been any kind of explanation about their immediate family?  Like the parents or aunts and uncles?   If so, I missed it.   Things come across to me as a very sad life for both women and it did not start when they were adults.  Any thoughts?    Also, I think Michael is very kind.  He must love Amy enough to encourage her hopefully.   

I am putting this here because I don't know where else.  I cannot watch them on the day they are shown, so going to the episode is not helpful for me.

• Love 4
On 1/30/2020 at 11:23 PM, oceanview said:

Has there ever been any kind of explanation about their immediate family?  Like the parents or aunts and uncles?   If so, I missed it.   Things come across to me as a very sad life for both women and it did not start when they were adults.  Any thoughts?    Also, I think Michael is very kind.  He must love Amy enough to encourage her hopefully.

I think Amy’s voiceover during the wedding scene did mention some relatives (aunts / uncles / cousins) being there although her beastly mother couldn’t be bothered to attend.

Edited to correct: an aunt and a cousin (with partner) attended.  The rest were Michael’s family.

Edited by ThereButFor
Watched again
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

I think Amy’s voiceover during the wedding scene did mention some relatives (aunts / uncles / cousins) being there although her beastly mother couldn’t be bothered to attend.

Thank you.  I have not see this episode yet.   I figured they had no role models growing up. And also iffy love and care too

• Love 2
On 1/30/2020 at 8:23 PM, oceanview said:

I am putting this here because I don't know where else.  I cannot watch them on the day they are shown, so going to the episode is not helpful for me.

I think they kind of went over some of their history in the first episode.  Emotionally abusive mother and they grew up with their grandmother who was kind.  They may have said something about extended family, but IIRC it was mostly to say that they felt picked on because they were fat.  

• Love 3
On 1/13/2020 at 6:03 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some parts of the country, people don't use Ketchup on french fries, but dip them in Mayo.  

Where??  I want to avoid that part of the USA.    I know that people in the Netherlands eat them with mayo.     BLEEECH!!!! Yuck!! Double yuck.    I can barely eat a little mayo on a sandwich.    And occasionally deviled eggs, but otherwise,  I do not like it.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2020 at 5:44 PM, Twopper said:

Where??  I want to avoid that part of the USA.    I know that people in the Netherlands eat them with mayo.     BLEEECH!!!! Yuck!! Double yuck.    I can barely eat a little mayo on a sandwich.    And occasionally deviled eggs, but otherwise,  I do not like it.  

LOL. My husband is from Holland and I love the Dutch mayo on fries. I bring back bottles of it when we go over. Doesn't taste anything like American mayo.

• Love 2
On 2/2/2020 at 12:02 AM, RealReality said:

They may have said something about extended family, but IIRC it was mostly to say that they felt picked on because they were fat.  

Didn't one of them mention  other siblings who were treated better?

12 hours ago, auntjess said:

Didn't one of them mention  other siblings who were treated better?

I think most of the people who came to the "reveal " for Amy were relatives.  There was a brother who was nearly as big as Tammy, plus assorted relatives most of whom were at varying levels of obesity.   It was sad and frightening.

• Love 4
On 1/31/2020 at 3:00 AM, ThereButFor said:

Edited to correct: an aunt and a cousin (with partner) attended.  The rest were Michael’s family.

We refer to Mom as Benjamin Franklin. 

• LOL 5
On 1/14/2020 at 12:04 AM, Hellga said:

One of my best friends growing up was a ballet dancer, and her biggest guilty pleasure was slathering mayo on a slice of bread she would eat with her soups and salads...

I like mayo on some salads and sandwiches, but I hardly use a small jar in a year... 

And I also cannot tell the difference between Miracle Whip and mayo!  All different brands of the same stuff!

Tee hee @Hellga I have BOTH a jar of Miracle Whip AND Hellmann's Mayonnaise in the fridge right now! 😁 

I use them both in so many ways, sometimes together, most times separately. For example, I always have Hellmann's Mayonnaise on hand and will make potato salad with that but if I have Miracle Whip in the house I will go with about 75% mayo and 25% Miracle Whip when making it, along with a bunch of other stuff--celery, onion, relish, mustard, sometimes boiled eggs, etc. Hey, it's kind of a Southern thang dontcha know!😉

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2020 at 3:31 PM, Wollstonecraft said:

Duke's!

I just started seeing Duke's in stores here so I bought some and it is buy far the superior mayonnaise brand. Beats the pants off of Hellmann's and Kraft.

I also make myself some dipping sauce with that and the Huy Fong Chili Garlic sauce and a bit of lime juice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/28/2020 at 6:49 PM, cherenkov said:

I just started seeing Duke's in stores here so I bought some and it is buy far the superior mayonnaise brand. Beats the pants off of Hellmann's and Kraft.

I also make myself some dipping sauce with that and the Huy Fong Chili Garlic sauce and a bit of lime juice.

A word of warning, if you make your own Pimento Cheese spread at home, Duke's is wonderful for it, and adds a little extra tang to the taste.  However, the finished product looks a bit gray.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Tammy's dentist visit reminded me of a friend who topped out at about 380 lbs.  She put off getting her teeth cleaned for 15 years even though she had excellent insurance.  A large part of it was she was convinced she would be shamed for her weight and/or not fit in the chair. She did brush her teeth at least daily and likely more often. When she finally went and got her teeth cleaned and got x-rays, she did not have any cavities.  However, she proudly showed off her clean teeth and there was one up from that was very dark brownish yellow.  I wanted to say, you may not want to smile like that but I stopped myself. 

Much like for Tammy, the dentist did keep the arm rests up on the chair.  Had to create some extra room.

One of my grandnephews has two teeth that never grew in.  Ends up it is a genetic / chromosomal disorder. He is getting a tooth replacement plate for now that he wears almost all the time except when he's playing any contact sport. (My niece gave him the choice of how he wanted to proceed.)  When he's older, he'll get implants.   It's best to wait until they know he's stopped growing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Someone asked about why we never see the Brookhaven show (NYC) Obesity clinic show, they had a lot of controversy.   One issue is that the patients aren't inmates, so they can send out for food, do what they want, and some were getting bigger.     That was also filmed a long time ago, (2007) and I remember there were a lot of people who were in dire shape, but didn't make the effort to change.   On man, Michael Hebranko,  was helped by Richard Simmons, was doing pretty well, and then backslid, and went to Brookhaven.   He died later.   Another man was in his 20's, and had already had two heart attacks, and bought forbidden food all of the time.    The thinking of doctors have changed a lot between 2007 and now, on the Reddit thread about it, they quoted one administrator saying the surgery was a magic bullet, but we know now it isn't.   

I find it surprising that Brookhaven is still operating the 90 day obesity program (they do long and short term rehab too).   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 3/18/2021 at 6:19 PM, Cowgirl said:

WIth regard to the mayo discussion, here in the West, Hellman's is Best Foods. 

When I was a kid, I couldn't believe the word "hell" was allowed to be seen on a food label.

I had a very sheltered childhood.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2021 at 1:18 PM, Rabbittron said:

Tammy  wants the results but she doesn't want to do anything to help. 

All she needs to do to make an effort is to eat less calories and take up a hobby that keeps her hands busy and her mind off eating 24 pieces of KFC. It seems like her hands and mouth are the only working parts on her body.

I'm not being rude or insensitive nor am I trying to be funny. I think she needs to find a way to take her mind off of EATING.

I remember her original (?) weight loss doctor saying that even the most minimal attempt at eating fewer calories and any exercise can take off a substantial amount of weight for someone Tammy's size. The really difficult part is when you get closer to a normal weight, you have to try a lot harder.

• Love 3

Does anyone here know what causes one to be "legally" blind? Is it hereditary? Just bad luck? I know I could Google it but that's a rabbit hole I don't have time for! Lol

One of my girlfriends (she died 12 years ago) was legally blind but she could drive with corrective lenses. She was blind as a bat when she took her contacts out but was legally able to drive with corrective lenses. 

32 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Does anyone here know what causes one to be "legally" blind? Is it hereditary? Just bad luck? I know I could Google it but that's a rabbit hole I don't have time for! Lol

One of my girlfriends (she died 12 years ago) was legally blind but she could drive with corrective lenses. She was blind as a bat when she took her contacts out but was legally able to drive with corrective lenses. 

I was very near sighted until I had cataract surgery. I was considered legally blind without corrective lenses. There are as many causes of being blind as there are people who are blind. There is a wide spectrum of vision loss from people like your friend and me to people who have no eyesight whatsoever. 

• Love 1

They're having a marathon of 1,000 lb. Sister from morning to afternoon, on Thanksgiving day the 25th on TLC.    I'm not sure I can watch this show during a day devoted to eating.    

Tammy is always going to be someone else's responsibility.    I'm wondering if she didn't last at rehab because they booted her out, since rehabs and assisted living don't have to keep people who abuse the staff, or are a problem to the facility.      I would be shocked if any home health care aide or nurse would put up with Tammy's vicious behavior.   Without special equipment, it's not even safe to move Tammy, or bathe her or anything else. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm not sure I can watch this show during a day devoted to eating.    

I'm not sure I can watch ANY of it since I've seen all of the episodes

However, it does make me wonder what this family will be eating on Thanksgiving. All of that delicious food will be so difficult for them to turn down. Especially Big T. 

• Love 1

OK, so we made the two-ingredient peanut butter fudge, which we are now calling the 1000 pound sisters fudge 😊 I was shocked to discover that it is actually quite good?! I do agree, it seemed like it would be diabetes on a platter because the vanilla frosting is so sickeningly sweet, but the peanut butter really cuts the sweetness. We used regular Jif creamy peanut butter, not natural, and Betty Crocker plain vanilla frosting, not whipped. I normally only buy Duncan Hines products but the Duncan Hines vanilla was sold out. we microwaved the peanut butter in the jar with the seal removed, about 1 minute, and the frosting with the seal removed, 45 seconds. Then we mixed it completely with a stand mixer and poured it into a foil lined pan and chilled overnight. It set up beautifully and the texture is better than any cooked fudge we’ve ever tried to make! Definitely recommend, despite its origins 🥜 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

OK, so we made the two-ingredient peanut butter fudge, which we are now calling the 1000 pound sisters fudge 😊 I was shocked to discover that it is actually quite good?! I do agree, it seemed like it would be diabetes on a platter because the vanilla frosting is so sickeningly sweet, but the peanut butter really cuts the sweetness. We used regular Jif creamy peanut butter, not natural, and Betty Crocker plain vanilla frosting, not whipped. I normally only buy Duncan Hines products but the Duncan Hines vanilla was sold out. we microwaved the peanut butter in the jar with the seal removed, about 1 minute, and the frosting with the seal removed, 45 seconds. Then we mixed it completely with a stand mixer and poured it into a foil lined pan and chilled overnight. It set up beautifully and the texture is better than any cooked fudge we’ve ever tried to make! Definitely recommend, despite its origins 🥜 

I don't think this originated with the sisters as it's been around a while.  I've made two-ingredient peanut butter fudge a few times, but the recipe I used was peanut butter and marshmallow creme.  I stopped making it a few years ago since I'd eat the entire pan in 2-3 days. 😁  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I don't think this originated with the sisters as it's been around a while.  I've made two-ingredient peanut butter fudge a few times, but the recipe I used was peanut butter and marshmallow creme.  I stopped making it a few years ago since I'd eat the entire pan in 2-3 days. 😁  

No it definitely didn’t, and there are probably two dozen pins of it on Pinterest, but we first heard of it here, so therefore it’s the 1000 Pound Sisters fudge 😉

• Love 3
On 1/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, Snarkastikate said:

I think the fame Tammy has gained from the old YouTube videos & then much more so from this show will be the death of her in a way.  She's now the "Queen",  attracting every fat fetishist to take fun advantage of her for their sexual pleasure and/or grifters making $$$ off her followers. She's so happy with her newfound fame, it's her identity & she's totally lost any interest in losing weight.  She's still gaining. 

She's really not going to make it much longer.  And her sense of entitlement is truly astounding, Amy is legally responsible for her but yet she bullies & treats her like total crap. Won't even order her own meds.  Her life without her doting, abuse-taking sister next door will be emptier. By looks of the preview, she's gonna fill the void with booze & weird people coming to her room. Doing God knows what else.  Repeatedly says that her family should be grateful she's not bedbound.  Um NO, she'd be in a home in a NY minute. That prospect doesn't seem to faze her at all.  She's on lots of pain meds & that affects her behavior. 

On 600 LB life, one of the people on it a few years ago was my neighbor. He made it to about 50 pounds heavier than Tammy and then died. In the meantime, his sweet father had a stroke from the stress, and I know due to the damage his body sustained from that stress, the father died last summer as well. His father put up his property to pay for James' trip to Houston for nothing basically. James literally ate himself to death. And due to the debt that the father accrued to try to help James, when the father died, he left nothing but a pile of bills for the rest of the family. Such a sad sad story all around.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Rebky said:

On 600 LB life, one of the people on it a few years ago was my neighbor. He made it to about 50 pounds heavier than Tammy and then died. In the meantime, his sweet father had a stroke from the stress, and I know due to the damage his body sustained from that stress, the father died last summer as well. His father put up his property to pay for James' trip to Houston for nothing basically. James literally ate himself to death. And due to the debt that the father accrued to try to help James, when the father died, he left nothing but a pile of bills for the rest of the family. Such a sad sad story all around.

You knew “Ow, my legs!” and “It’s fried!” James K? There are lots of folks in the 600 LB Life thread who would love to hear from you. Sorry to hear that his father died, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The forehead lump was caused by the body running out of places to store fat, so it expanded to her forehead.       It would be major surgery to remove it, and I doubt Tammy could ever be cleared for surgery.     I don't think a doctor would do anything but emergency surgery on her, and the forehead lump is the least of her issues.    I don't think that Tammy could ever be cleared for surgery, even if she lost a lot of weight.  

• Love 3
On 1/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, LeesburgLee said:

You knew “Ow, my legs!” and “It’s fried!” James K? There are lots of folks in the 600 LB Life thread who would love to hear from you. Sorry to hear that his father died, though. 

And knew Lisa too?  She's the one Dr. Now reported to APS, but they couldn't/didn't do anything.