Type keyword(s) to search

House Flipping Shows

• Start Topic

Does anyone watch 'Desert Flip'? In some ways it's your typical house-flipping show, set in the California desert. But what I like about the show: 1) they look at three houses before we see the one they ultimately work on. And 2) The couple is really funny and seems down-to-earth. 

• Love 1

The second season of Masters of Flip is pretty much unwatchable.  They took a cute show and just ruined it with the extra "characters".  Kortney's brother is now the construction manager and the entire show is basically him being incompentant now.  Then there is a new design assistant who giggles way too damn much.

In the promos, they look like clones of Tarek and Christina---"let's get us another blonde."
And I must admit I have this prejudice--not proud of it, but I have it--against people whose names should start with a C, but they spell it with a K.
I know, not ever her fault. 
Apologies to the Kortneys and Khloes and others I've offended but there it is.

• Love 2

The second season of Masters of Flip is pretty much unwatchable.  They took a cute show and just ruined it with the extra "characters".  Kortney's brother is now the construction manager and the entire show is basically him being incompentant now.  Then there is a new design assistant who giggles way too damn much.

I haven't seen this, but my daughter has and she just told me about this. She said they are Tarek/Christina wannabes and are beyond fake. She said at one point the woman (I don't know either of their names) was on the phone to call someone and one camera angle showed her homescreen - she wasn't even making the call.

Now, we all know these shows aren't "real" but some are more scripted than others, apparently. It's a shame that the network(s) really think we are that stupid and want the overplayed "drama". No thanks. I won't even give this one a try.

• Love 2

Masters of Flip remains a bust to me. It seems to me that they are just trying to make this work as opposed to it being a hit on its own. I have yet to see much love for this show on here or elsewhere. It's still basically a show about investors that barely lift a finger describing the work of others. And it remains a mystery why they think this makes sense as an hour long show.

And I still can't stand the the wife and don't care for the husband. Hope he's at least taking his hat off in appropriate social settings unlike what he did last season.

• Love 3

I recorded the Good Bones marathon this morning, and am loving it. I really like these women, and I like the older homes. The unique finishes are awesome. If I never have to see another "pretty" Flip or Flop interior, it will be too soon. The exteriors are definitely not HOA bores, which is nothing but a good thing. 

• Love 3

Has HGTV finally realized many of us couldn't stand Masters of Flip? Because from what I can tell, it's been pulled from it's primetime spot two weeks in a row at least and the HGTV Facebook page went from having them on their header to not having them and not having any posts about them, something they had been doing (they had plenty of negative comments about the show). They had quite an commercial/ad push leading up to their new season's premiere and it was definitely a Monday night primetime spot that they promoted, but just a few weeks in and it's missing. Replaced it seems by Love It Or List It. Hope HGTV has realized their erroe. Like I've said before here and even mentioned on HGTV's Facebook when both shows were on, if they want a Nashville flip show, transfer Nashville Flipped from DIY Network over to HGTV, it would fit right in and the personalities are doing actual work and are more likable and endearing in 5 minutes than the Masters of Flip people in an entire season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JasmineFlower said:

Has HGTV finally realized many of us couldn't stand Masters of Flip? Because from what I can tell, it's been pulled from it's primetime spot two weeks in a row at least and the HGTV Facebook page went from having them on their header to not having them and not having any posts about them, something they had been doing (they had plenty of negative comments about the show). They had quite an commercial/ad push leading up to their new season's premiere and it was definitely a Monday night primetime spot that they promoted, but just a few weeks in and it's missing. Replaced it seems by Love It Or List It. Hope HGTV has realized their erroe. Like I've said before here and even mentioned on HGTV's Facebook when both shows were on, if they want a Nashville flip show, transfer Nashville Flipped from DIY Network over to HGTV, it would fit right in and the personalities are doing actual work and are more likable and endearing in 5 minutes than the Masters of Flip people in an entire season.

If Masters of Flip is really gone, that's great. I watched that show once or twice and just loathed it. And my standards aren't even that high, lol!

And I agree - Nashville Flipped is worth bringing over to HGTV for more episodes. I really liked watching it on DIY, even in repeats.  

I binge watched all the Louisiana Flip N Move episodes by DVR'ing them when they were on at different times. There were only 4 so it went by pretty quick being able to ff'd through the commercials. I liked it for the most part. If it comes back I'm sure the producers will find a way to ruin it like they did with the original. 

I was scrolling through the online guide last night trying to find something to watch and saw Alaska Flip N Move listed which apparently has two episodes to air. 

Edited by Jaded

I watched a marathon of "Raise the Roof" on DIY this afternoon. I'd never seen it before. Contractor in Denver buying small older homes and adding square footage by adding upper floors and sometimes basements. I really enjoyed it. So straight forward - just showing a guy doing his job. His renovations take many months - 6 or more. Most of the time he does them on spec, but they showed 2 he did for people who wanted to stay in their homes, but with more space. I liked he took them to showrooms to pick out cabinets and countertops. The homeowners always picked the standard we see on HGTV without any prompting from him. Sigh.

And the housing market in Denver is crazy - prices are almost as nuts as SoCal.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
On 4/6/2016 at 10:36 PM, selhars said:

Whatever happened to the Kitchen Cousins?…..who had another show also before that one -- which name I can't remember.

Kitchen Disasters?  Last I saw them, they were on the Ellen show doing surprise makeovers and also on her furniture design contest show.  Maybe HGTV dumped them because of the lawsuit?

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/08/kitchen_cousins_hosts_file_for_bankruptcy_after_su.html

2 hours ago, mojito said:

Any comments on "The Deed"? 

Think The Profit, but for house flippers who are in financial trouble.

I watched last night with the woman who was millions in debt over her big neighborhood building project. It was a little contrived but interesting. Sidney Torress is interesting and I watched to the end. 

I will watch the next one. I liked it enough. Same formula as Marcus' show, but I like house flipping shows. I would rather see the homes be those cute, colorful bungalows, but the woman's probably in it for the $$$.

My one nit: I wanted Sidney to close one more button.

OMG, more house flipping shows either recently begun or about to:

Flipping Texas

Home Town

Flip or Flop Vegas (guess we had to see THAT coming, right?)

new season of Flipping Virgins

I think I'm past being done with house flipping shows. I'll check the forum list to either join a discussion or start one about the HGTV I used to know and love. The channel where working professionals taught me techniques and gave me tips about design, decoration, and gardening. Now it's all fake house hunting and house flipping. 

• Love 3

I'm looking forward to Home Town since it appears they restore old homes, rather than ripping everything out. There are some shows like that on DIY that I enjoy. Home Town is in Laurel, MS which I've seen from the Amtrak train window on my way to New Orleans.

I wrote about "Home Town" earlier. Erin and Ben Napier are the main folks in this show. He's a former youth minister and she had a wedding stationary business. They saw their home town of Laurel, MS dying so they decided to do what they could to help revive it. I've read Erin's blog for about 5 years or so. It's entitled "Make something good today" if you're interested in reading it. They seem to be sweet hearted people, close to their families and friends and dedicated to bringing Laurel back to life. I'll be anxious to see their show and hope it will be a success. I'm really tired of all of the other shows on HGTV. They're so repetitive and boring. 

Oops, although I do not like their commercial for this show. I don't like the way Erin holds her hands and says "We're saving this town because it's worth it". They're not the only ones saving this town although that commercial makes it sound like that. They seem to be humble people but that commercial doesn't portray them that way. 

• Love 1

Maybe the next wave of HGTV programming could be "House Flipping by Atheists.."  or "House Flipping by People Who Only Want To Make a Buck..Not a Difference"...  Yes, as someone else has said...The Handbasket Awaits..  If there would be just one program on that did re-decorating, re-purposing, using what you have, etc., I would watch that and the many many marathons that would ensue.  But I guess that kind of programming would cost too much to produce as it would not have the expected "featured products" sponsors.  I am air-quoting myself as I type.

• Love 2

Lola16, yes, I forgot that part too. Not a good look for Erin. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and watch 3-4 of their shows before I make a decision about whether to continue. After having read Erin's blog for so long, I really do hope HGTV doesn't screw this up like they have all of the other "makeover" shows.

• Love 1

So anybody watch "Home Town" last night?  How was it?

I remember reading about this couple some years ago in a magazine, maybe it was Better Homes And Gardens.  They came across as sweet and low-key.

• Love 1

I chuckled when they were in the large, empty room and Ben said it reminded him of the movie "Dirty Dancing". 

Erin: I never felt this way before.

Ben: About a room?

Erin (deadpan): Yes, I swear. It's the truth.

He had a subtle, tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. He commented on the Americana flair of the home that brought to mind the fourth of JU-ly, "There's definitely gonna be fireworks, emotional fireworks." And he raised his eyebrow as if to emphasize the cleverness of this (lame) statement. 

You had to turn a corner to find the kitchen. How 'bout that?

I liked the woodworking they did and the fact that Erin has some carpentry skills in addition to her artistic painting skills. 

I thought Home Town was a snooze - Fixer Upper 2.0. I lost interest half way through the show. I'll give them another try, but if they don't get more interesting, I'm out. I like Masters of Flip better, plus most of what's on DIY.

I saw the second episode of Home Town. I agree that it's much like Fixer Upper except that they initially only look at 2 homes and they haven't done that schtick yet about going to their favorite craftsman to create this one-of-a-kind piece of furniture (why does everyone on Fixer Upper need a dining room table?) or dragging the homebuyers to their home and having "extra" money to do something special. The husband is humorous, but not a clown. Both have low-keyed humor. We don't have to meet their children (they don't have any), see their home, etc. The show is all about the house.

I wish they showed the homeowners having input into what the house will look like, and not be dictated to. I also wish they'd pass on the staging and just use the homeowners' belongings.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, mojito said:

I saw the second episode of Home Town. I agree that it's much like Fixer Upper except that they initially only look at 2 homes and they haven't done that schtick yet about going to their favorite craftsman to create this one-of-a-kind piece of furniture (why does everyone on Fixer Upper need a dining room table?) or dragging the homebuyers to their home and having "extra" money to do something special. The husband is humorous, but not a clown. Both have low-keyed humor. We don't have to meet their children (they don't have any), see their home, etc. The show is all about the house.

I wish they showed the homeowners having input into what the house will look like, and not be dictated to. I also wish they'd pass on the staging and just use the homeowners' belongings.

Agree. I gave this a second chance, and I'm glad I did. Also wish we didn't see a staged finish - maybe they think they're giving homeowners ideas. When I asked my husband last month where Laurel, MS was (he's from Alabama), he said, well, you've been there. We took Amtrak to New Orleans several times, and Laurel is a stop. We were amused to see the Amtrak train rolling through town last night..

• Love 3

Maybe the homeowner has more input than they show, I just wish they'd show a homeowner changing colors or materials and being involved in the shopping trip or deciding which of their furniture they will use. 

I do like this couple's humor (they're not yucksters, which I very much appreciate) and they just come off as ordinary people who don't feel the need to show us how much they like each other (still comparing to Chip and Joanna). I chuckled by how enamored he was with that secret door. (I liked that they kept it.) I also like that the show takes place in a very small town in a state that we rarely see on TV. (I liked seeing the train.)

I think in this house, too, you had to turn a corner to see the kitchen. 

• Love 3

I really like Home Town judging by the 3 episodes I have seen.  I like that they are funny in a low key way and they don't have a schtick.  I enjoy her artistic sensibility - I want the art she used last week - and he is very handy and talented in his own way. They compliment each other. 

I would live in each house they have done so far.

• Love 3

I, too, really like this show. The couple is fun and cute! I have just moved to Mississippi and am only a couple hours north of Laurel and am really thinking about a day trip there, just to look around! One thing that I really enjoy about this show is that when they encounter a problem, they meet it head on and fix it. No whining to the owners, etc! I also love his mad carpentry skills; his work is awesome. That piano/drafting board was unique and fit the house well.

Another plus to their style is  the fact that they try to keep the integrity of the original house. I loved how they matched the new french doors with the original woodwork so that it looked as though it was there to begin with.

15 hours ago, magdalene said:

I would live in each house they have done so far.

I would also except I would want screen on my porches. The bugs are huge here and there are so many of them! When they were talking about sitting out on the porch and enjoying the weather, I thought, just wait for the bugs and mosquitoes! All in all, I am finding this show to be a fun watch and I hope it succeeds....and maybe gets its own thread!

• Love 2

I put in a request for a forum for Home Time. Not sure I did it correctly, so we'll see. I loved the house in the 3rd episode, but boy, howdy, she filled it up with too much stuff at the reveal Hope most of it goes away once the filming stops. More doesn't mean better.

• Love 4
On 3/13/2017 at 7:16 AM, TVForever said:

OMG, more house flipping shows either recently begun or about to:

Flipping Texas

Home Town

Flip or Flop Vegas (guess we had to see THAT coming, right?)

new season of Flipping Virgins

I think I'm past being done with house flipping shows. I'll check the forum list to either join a discussion or start one about the HGTV I used to know and love. The channel where working professionals taught me techniques and gave me tips about design, decoration, and gardening. Now it's all fake house hunting and house flipping. 

Flip or Flop Vegas - they keep promo-ing it as a new show. But hasn't it been on before? Isn't he a mixed martial arts fighter and she's a former showgirl or something like that?  They rehab a sprawling ranch but he spends a lot of the show destroying things like the old cars that are in the yard?

On 12/26/2016 at 5:51 PM, chessiegal said:

I watched a marathon of "Raise the Roof" on DIY this afternoon. I'd never seen it before. Contractor in Denver buying small older homes and adding square footage by adding upper floors and sometimes basements. I really enjoyed it. So straight forward - just showing a guy doing his job. His renovations take many months - 6 or more. Most of the time he does them on spec, but they showed 2 he did for people who wanted to stay in their homes, but with more space. I liked he took them to showrooms to pick out cabinets and countertops. The homeowners always picked the standard we see on HGTV without any prompting from him. Sigh.

And the housing market in Denver is crazy - prices are almost as nuts as SoCal.

I watched a couple of these this weekend and they weren't bad. True, a couple of them had an exterior/interior "disconnect", particularly the little brick house on the large lot (the one with the "sinkhole") for which the addition was sort of "craftsman" style on the exterior but the interior was definitely modern. I do my own tile work and the idea of putting up those 4' tiles, all the way up that open chimney - just NO!

The little house he did for the couple, where the exterior started out as a horrible mustard shade? Nice addition but argh those exterior colors. I thought anything would be better than the original mustard, but...

Some of the houses look to be in the Cherry Creek area, just south of Denver, by the parks and the museums. That is definitely Denver's upscale area and the median $$ is $875,000. My SIL lives in suburban Lakewood (20 min from downtown in light traffic) in a nice-ish part of that area and houses there have a median price of $325,000 or so

"Flipping San Diego" - did they put out a casting call for "two men who flip houses - must be drama queens who are obnoxious in very different ways"? Cuz that is certainly what they got. Watched two episodes and erased the rest off the DVR.

How can the makers of these shows not get, that while one or 2 may be good, 20 or more of the same type show is way too much.
The only ones I like are Miami Flip, because Carolina Sullivan actually does a lot of the work, and a Philly show with a woman who is a contractor, designer, realtor, and opera singer.
Actually, I like it because she did a row house, not effin' Craftsman, may all-time least favorite style of house.
Texas Flip & Move jumped the shark when they dumped the couple you loved to hate, added still more Snow family, and often only did one house.

I may be an anomaly, but the reason I watch flipping/DIY shows is because I have a couple rooms in my house that I'd like to tackle and I like to see how they redesign various rooms - particularly the concept of looking at a space with fresh eyes. The bath I want to redo, for instance - I can't entirely redesign the space, the plumbing stack has to stay where it is, the two doors have to stay where they are, so my options are more with design than entirely stripping down to studs and rebuilding. I like to see the tiles and fixtures people use and get ideas from there.

What I'd love to see is "Someone Likeable's Kitchen and Bath Service" where a designer goes around taking stock of someone's existing rooms and redesigning them, taking into account homeowner's preference and not just whatever WayFair or Pottery Barn says is trending. The designer would work with several local contractors, stay in touch through the process, see how things are moving along, provide REALISTIC estimates for what everything costs, get feedback from the homeowner and the contractor. I just watching one of the flip shows where the estimate for repainting the exterior of a largish ranch-style house, including all the trim, was $700. The paint and primer alone will be more than that.

The other requirement for the "Kitchen and Bath" show would be that they cover a wide range of remodels, from $100,000 kitchens to $10,000 kitchens.

• Love 3

I don't get the reasoning behind the "auctions" on Texas Flip & Move. The houses have already been bid on/won, so why have random people in the background bidding ? Everyone watching this show knows they are there as 'filler' and are not actually bidding.

I am so glad that Good Bones is back! I love this mother and daughter team....they work off of each really well. I have to admit, they do have a really unique family but that just makes the show more fun. The duplex they changed in the first new show was amazing. I would love to have a plant wall like Karen designed...maybe with the right plants I could keep it alive. I looked but they do not have their own forum and I sure hope they get one this season.

• Love 3

I too love watching Good Bones. Mina and Karen work well together and seem to have fun doing it. Yeah, it took me awhile to figure out the family dynamics but it seems to work for them. I really enjoyed the show when they renovated Mina's dad's kitchen.

• Love 2

I am glad to see Good Bones back. This last house....What a mess. I'm glad this is a 1-hour show; I liked watching the transformation. I guess it's just me. But I like seeing these hosts get down and dirty and boy, did these two get filthy in the demo. I like that Mina is the boss and the one who has both feet on the ground and Karen is the one who sometimes goes off into the weeds. Nice role reversal. They're humorous together and seem quite relaxed in front of the cameras. 

• Love 6