Type keyword(s) to search

House Flipping Shows

• Start Topic

First Time Fixer (on Magnolia), in Connecticut.   The woman is fixing up her own house with 200 year old wood ceilings in the upstairs bedrooms, and she's painting the ceiling beams, and wood ceilings white.   I'm appalled.   

I can't imagine doing a shoddy looking paint job on 200 year old wood, that would have looked spectacular if she left it alone, or sprayed a clear sealer.   The painted wood looks awful.   Her tile choices she calls vintage are not vintage, they're just trendy cement look tiles.     She also bleaches original wood, and it looks awful.   Everything she's doing is trendy, not classic, or attractive, or true to the age of the house.   

I don't care how well insulated the skylight she's putting in the playroom is, it's going to be hot.   She also is calling in a bunch of favors to get freebies.   Why is she putting wallpaper in the kid's closet back wall?  

I can't believe she's just ripping down a wall, without knowing if she has to get anything relocated.  

(I had the title wrong.)

The next episode is a couple who bought a house up in the mountains in California.    They bought the house for cash, across from his parent's house.    They didn't see the property until after they bought it.   They've been living with two kids in the husband's mother's guest room.   They thought the 1956 cabin would take two months to fix up, bought for $105k, thought $50k rehab budget, is $150k rehab budget after they found the damage from termites, and water.   It's 2 bed 1 bath on a few acres.   So, their budget is $250k all in when they finish.   I'm not sure there's much in the house that's original after everything was torn down to the studs, including the roof removed, repitched, and fixed.   Their lack of planning is mind boggling.   (Title is City Slickers to Farm Fixers).    I would have added another couple of bedrooms, and another bath. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

@CrazyInAlabama -  I suppose it's intended to be one of those "watch a train wreck" shows. Like that old show "Renovation Realities" (??) - not a house flipping show because the owners were renovating for their own use. But definitely a train wreck. Fun times. Maybe I'll look at this new "fixer" show if it's going to be fun. Do the owners do demo in sandals? That's always fun to watch, lol.

A&E has a new show, Flipping Down South, that follows a group of cute, young go-getters flipping in Birmingham who want to turn a decent profit while still listing their homes in a more affordable price range. I hope they can keep to that ideal. I remember being rather put off when the going prices of the houses on Texas Flip N Move started skyrocketing.

• Love 1

FLip to a Million.  Two couples are sent to Dallas, have only $1,000 initially, can't use their own money, and have six months to flip houses to equal $1 million by the end.    Alison Victoria is the host, but barely seen.   

I like the Chicago couple, EJ and Jason seem much more professional, don't run around shrieking all of the time.   

I really dislke Dani and Jon, he's loud and irritating, she keeps talking about potential houses as haunted.     When anything goes wrong they can't agree on anything without a referee, and   don't seem to be able to schedule or plan anything. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2022 at 9:32 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

FLip to a Million.  Two couples are sent to Dallas, have only $1,000 initially, can't use their own money, and have six months to flip houses to equal $1 million by the end.    Alison Victoria is the host, but barely seen.   

I like the Chicago couple, EJ and Jason seem much more professional, don't run around shrieking all of the time.   

I really dislke Dani and Jon, he's loud and irritating, she keeps talking about potential houses as haunted.     When anything goes wrong they can't agree on anything without a referee, and   don't seem to be able to schedule or plan anything. 

I'm watching this show too. Does it have its own topic? 

I like that Dani & Jon actually get their hands dirty...do whatever they can to save money and keep their project moving forward. Unfortunately, the other couple do nothing but boss around the contractor they picked up from another job. I know he's considered a "partner" now, but apparently they don't want to listen to him, or should I say hear him, when he's telling them there's no way the house will be completed in 2 weeks (or whatever the time frame was). IMO, if you want to get something done in a hurry, pitch in!

I'm guessing Flip to a Million was a one season show, never to return.    I had to rewind to see the profit differences, and figure out who won.      I like that EJ and Jason from Chicago are staying in Dallas and flipping houses there from now on.    Permits and everything else are much easier in Dallas, than in Chicago. 

I think both couples did very well, one couple made over $300k profits in 6 months, and the other couple made over $400k, and both sold their final houses for $1 million, or more. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Thanks for update. My DVR cut out, so I didn't get to see any of the stats (who won). 

I enjoyed the show, but was kind of disappointed that  the finale didn't have a bit more structure. I don't know what I expected, but maybe something from a moderator making it "official" as to who the winner was. I guess the takeaway is supposed to be that they're all winners.

"Flipping Out with my Dad"  Father and daughter flipping in Detroit.   I think the daughter and dad Pancho were on a previous remodeling show, that featured three duos flipping.  She had a boyfriend then who was a medical resident, and moved to Rochester, MN.