Type keyword(s) to search

House Flipping Shows

• Start Topic

I have a question about the flip and move shows that someone may know the answer. How successfully can they move these homes to where the successful bidder wants it? Don't walls crack or other small damage occur? Who pays for that, the mover or the owner? So the move and placing it onto footings plus utility hookup must add considerably to the price. How much is really saved vs building a new house of that size?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 8:12 PM, HowdyTV said:

I have a question about the flip and move shows that someone may know the answer. How successfully can they move these homes to where the successful bidder wants it? Don't walls crack or other small damage occur? Who pays for that, the mover or the owner? So the move and placing it onto footings plus utility hookup must add considerably to the price. How much is really saved vs building a new house of that size?

Good questions. I've also wondered about the challenges of moving those renovated houses to the new owners' property, and how well they travel. OTOH the house movers we see on the show, seem to know a lot more than the average bear about house structure issues. Behind the "aw shucks" Texas twangs are some pretty sharp brains, IMO. More often than not an episode will include one of the Snows, or Casey, or Randy, discussing specific structural issues, either in terms of moving a house or the remodel. 

It seems that many of the remodeled houses are going to be placed on country acreage by the new owners. I think it can be hard, in a fairly large city, for an individual to find a good contractor to build a house. Not to mention all the suppliers and subcontractors/trades (electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.) that the contractor will need during the project. Now, take that lot where you want to build a house out of a town or city, a hundred or more miles out into the Texas countryside. Then start figuring - assuming you have a contractor that will take on the job - the costs of the skilled labor and trades to travel to the job, the costs of getting all the materials to the job, etc. And the possible hiccups with scheduling.

I think that moving a completed, up to date house onto the land would often be a better deal. You do have to mess with getting the utility hookups and foundation - but you'd have to do that if you build from scratch onsite, and that would be just the start of it. With a finished house, that's almost the end of it. I assume they may have to fix some cracks but if house moving weren't a practical thing, those companies wouldn't be in business.

EDITED to add, hopefully for clarity: What I was struggling to say there is that I think the costs of rehabbing those houses on the "flip lot" will be less than doing the same work (or new construction) on lots out in the country, or maybe even in a city or small town. I see two cost-saving advantages for these flippers: location, and established business relationships.

Location: I assume the "flip lot" is somewhere in the DFW metro area, which has a large population including skilled labor and trades, and building material suppliers. Nobody's having to haul themselves, a crew, and the materials a hundred miles down the highway or down several miles of roads out in the middle of nowhere. Also as we see on the show, that "flip lot" looks really big. If they make a mess or get kinda noisy, or need to work until midnight, it's all happening on a large commercial property. Not on a residential street surrounded by neighbors who understandably don't want mess and late night noise and half a dozen big trucks parked there all day.

Business relationships: It seems that the flippers often use the same contractors/sub/suppliers for those projects, which I'm sure saves money. Not just the dollars paid but also in scheduling, because time is money. A regular business relationship is almost always going to pay off for both parties; the business gets repeat work and the repeat customer gets priority where a one-off deal might not. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3

Thanks, Jeeves, you make good points. I agree those movers are sharp and know their stuff. the Snows wouldn't be in business that many generations if they didn't.

Another question I had was how much the auctioneer gets, because in showing how much each flipper cleared, they never subtract the auctioneer fee, and I am assuming it is a percentage which can be a chunk. And when some only sell 2 or 3 thousand over, it makes me think they must have actually lost money.

• Love 1

There's at least one, and maybe 2 shows, not flippers, but house movers.
One's in Manitoba, I think, and one may be in the US, and the families seem to think that moving a home they've found is worth the money.

• Love 1

Has Vintage Flip been discussed yet?  I didn't see it on this thread.  I've see seen two episodes and I like them because they have tried to keep as much of the original character of the houses as possible.  Also, the hosts aren't annoying.

• Love 2
On 2017-06-16 at 2:26 PM, laredhead said:

Has Vintage Flip been discussed yet?  I didn't see it on this thread.  I've see seen two episodes and I like them because they have tried to keep as much of the original character of the houses as possible.  Also, the hosts aren't annoying.

I like them too , they seem to genuinely love each other with out  I also love that they like colour in their design and that the houses are so different.

• Love 3
On 6/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, laredhead said:

I really like Vintage Flip!  Love that the houses are generally smaller homes, and the renos are much more interesting because they do try to stick with the original architectural flair.  They also aren't afraid of using color, which is also one of the reasons I like Good Bones.  The color choices aren't always my taste, but I do love that they aren't afraid to go beyond the usual and try something more fun.  Who says houses have to be all neutral?

• Love 4

Watching First Time Flippers.  Finished one episode with son who recently moved back to Nashville, flipping with his parents (who were artists?).  Anyhow, dad and son did most of the labor from what was shown, with mom saying hurry up and get this wall framing done!  Yeah and it was done wrong.  Then she complained about doing stuff too quickly and wrong, then how they needed to get stuff done.  When the son said she could take care of a small flower bed in the back patio area, she sort of complained that it was hard.  It was maybe a foot to a foot and a half deep, maybe 6 to 8 feet long.  Honestly, all they showed mom doing was her numbering cabinets for placement in the kitchen and complaining.  All that was needed was to break up the garden area with a shovel, to clean it up.  They held an open house with the house not completely done, and surprise, it didn't sell.  End notes said they were going to list it again once it was 100% completed.

Now the episode that is on has two women who have major vocal fry (not sure of the locale).  First thing they tried was taking the tile out of the bathroom (it was pretty ugly tile).  Yeah the walls were all concrete, so it was contractor time.  Then they sanded the original hardwood floors, with one saying you sand in the direction of the grain of the wood, then sand against the grain.  No.  So they had to redo that.  They did manage to tile a floor, but had to get in contractors to install cabinets (one said she thought it was going to be so exciting to hang cabinets - and easy). 

Do any of these people do any research before they decide to become flippers?  Even watch one of these shows?  Because if they did, I doubt they'd try it.

• Love 2

Alison Victoria just posted this to Facebook,.

One week away from the premier of my new pilot #WindyCityFlip on HGTV!! This IS my real life, this IS what I really do and you guys get to join me and my business partner/contractor/drinking buddy/bearded bro @donobro on this journey of flipping houses in my sweet home Chicago! Mark your calendars my loves, or don't... because I plan on reminding you every day until it airs. JULY 5th 11/10 pm EST (ps-It may not show up on your guides because the cable companies haven't decided when and if they update their schedules, but don't you worry- it's on!) #WindyCityFlip #AlisonVictoria #AlisonVictoriaInteriors #greymarkdevelopment #Chicago #ChicagoReimagined #FlippingHouses #FlippingChicago

• Love 1

I've really been enjoying Nashville Flip. I love when Troy finds something original to the house that's been covered up. I think he does a great jobs with the houses.

I've watched a few episodes of Good Bones. I don't like that it's an hour and the fact that that the mom is always laughing in every segment she's in.

• Love 2

Watched 2 episodes of Vintage Flip last night.  One was a mid-century and the other was a Spanish style.  I like this show because they try to use something original from their houses and they also incorporate some color rather than using only gray and white.  The Spanish redo had some very pretty tile work and although I'm not a fan of the color blue, the shade of blue that they used on the kitchen cabinets was very pretty.  I thought they did a nice job on the mid-century house as well, both on the outside and the interior.  The accordian doors they removed between the family room and kitchen were original because that was a design element in the 60's to give the option of creating 2 rooms in a large space.  Sort of sorry to see them removed, but they probably would never be used with today's style of living.

That commercial for Good Bones is killing me. Every time I hear that chick screeching "teamwork makes the dream work!!!!!!!" I want to reach through the TV screen to punch her. Thank god for the mute button.

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:14 AM, rhofmovalley said:

That commercial for Good Bones is killing me. Every time I hear that chick screeching "teamwork makes the dream work!!!!!!!" I want to reach through the TV screen to punch her. Thank god for the mute button.

HA HA!  I totally agree - it doesn't help that they play two commercials for Good Bones at each break.  I like the show, hate the commercials ("my mom is an awesome attorney and real estate developer"  Yeah, yeah, yeah, we got it).

• Love 1

Wasn't impressed with Windy City Flip.  It's not like it was bad or anything, it just follows the same bland formula that all the flipping shows use.  Choose and buy a property, run into some type of structural issue (in this case, the walls collapsing) wring hands over "mounting costs", design said house to modern trends, and voila.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  This channel is just so boring now.  

Despite Alison's assurances, my cable box doesn't say another episode will air (re-run or new) for at least 2 weeks.  Maybe they're just testing this one out?

Has anyone else watched "Listed Sisters" based in Nashville? Since I watch most of the shows while I am sewing, the television is on HGTV or Food Network because you don't always have to pay close attention to know what is happening! Listed Sisters has been on the past two or three weeks following House Hunters on Wednesday night. I actually like the show a lot because the sisters do a really good job renovating the houses they pick. Last week, they re-did a house that had been burned....the end with the garage was badly burned, the rest had residual smoke damage. Really changed it up and made it like new. Last night, the family they worked with had found a house that a friend was selling them for a good price. Had the sisters(twins) evaluate it and then reno it. When they finished t, it was gorgeous! The one thing that would have bothered me about the house was that it was at the bottom of a hill and had a long flight of stairs down to the porch but if I was young with good knees, I don't think it would have been that big a problem and the girls added a rail for support that hadn't been there to begin with. The exterior changes were amazing, colors, landscaping and the front porch area. I would take this show in a NY minute over F & F Las Vegas!!!! I just checked the listings and it will be on next Wednesday(8/9)

• Love 2

I started watching Zombie House Flippers again, after I saw an intriguing one listed.
I'd quit, because they did something I considered really sleazy, so I feel guilty for watching.
What they did, was put a water feature in a back yard, and turned it on during open house, because it made enough noise to cover the sound of a high frequency power line, that was quite audible in the backyard.
Can you imagine buying a house, and finding that?

• Love 1

That greenhouse on a recent Listed Sisters  had to be one of the dumber ideas presented on these shows -it looked cute,  but was almost worthless,as an actual greenhouse.

It would have been better if Trey--nice to see his head w/o cap, built them a coldframe.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1

I watch quite a few of the Flipping shows.  I find that most do have some similar elements.  One tradition that just seems to never get a break is the demolition.  Man, I think they enjoy that a lot more than the viewers do. lol  I just don't get it.  I can just see the film crew getting all set up and everyone is excited.  I really think it got old after the first 5-10 years.  Perhaps others find it more amusing than I do. 

And I also wonder about impractical bathroom sinks. Does anyone around here actually have a vessel sink in their bathroom?  Just curious.  

The same goes for barn doors on the master bath and closet doors. To me, it looks rather jarring and how practical is it? 

• Love 1
On 11/27/2017 at 1:19 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

The same goes for barn doors on the master bath and closet doors. To me, it looks rather jarring and how practical is it? 

I know what you mean. As far as I'm concerned barn doors belong on a a barn, not in the house.

• Love 2

I think vessel sinks might be OK in a bathroom that is not used daily.  I certainly wouldn't put one in a bathroom used by children or messy homeowners.  Water and soap and toothpaste flying and dripping down the outside edges make cleaning it around the base problematic.   My preference is a traditional style.  I would much rather a pocket door than a barn door.  Barn doors take up wall space where pictures could be hung, and they don't seal as well as pocket doors or louvered doors.  I think they are a passing fad.  

• Love 1

Anyone else watching Bargain Mansions on DIY channel? Flipper is Tamara Day in St. Louis who buys really old mansions and renovates to sell. I am enjoying it. The regulars are Tamara, contractor Troy and her dad. She doesn't cram her hubby and kids down our throat (ala Fixer Upper) and she is smart about what items she can save for future projects. Of course there is fake drama, but I always like the results. 

• Love 3

@Spunkygal I'm actually watching it from my DVR right now. She seems pretty sensible. Her fake drama isn't on the level of some of the others, so it's ok. I like that she recognizes when something can't be preserved (floorboards that were 3/8" and in bad shape) and when it can. And while I'm not into everything open concept all the time, she makes good choices about changing flow from how things were in the 1800s/early 1900s to now, like when cooking wasn't a family affair. 

She also doesn't cheap out on materials, which is worth it for these homes. Also, she's not "subway tile everywhere". :D 

Edited by txvoodoo
  • Love 4

I like Masters of Flip, too.  Sometimes the staging is really good...like the time she used robin's egg blue and raspberry in a house.  I guess that credit should go to the "stager"...the really tall one with the miles-long legs.  She is not always on..at least I don't think so.  I would welcome Masters of Flip instead of the constant marathons of The Brothers.

• Love 1

Spunkygal, I just caught Bargain Mansions today and I really like it. The houses are all different and huge and have original details that I love. While it's nice to watch shows that have small homes similar to my own being redone, I looove watching shows that flip big mansions I'll never be able to afford. I had no idea Kansas City had so many cool mansions.

• Love 3

Barn doors take up wall space where pictures could be hung, and they don't seal as well as pocket doors or louvered doors.  I think they are a passing fad.  

Barn doors make me irrationally stabby.  I don't like the idea of putting trendy/fad elements in home and barn doors are most certainly a passing fad.  Are we moving in the direction of clothing, where people in the past used to have a few good items but now you can have a closet full of junk from Old Navy?  Are home interiors going to be disposable in the near future so we can keep up with trends?  I'm starting to wonder. 

I too love Bargain Mansions!  The houses that Tamara picks are beautiful.  I agree that her drama element, while present, is very low.  I also actually like that she seems to do one interesting thing per episode, such as taking her old windows to be turned into a countertop.  Which I thought were really pretty, by the way!  I'm a fan of wallpaper, but sometimes I do think she picks some odd designs on that front. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Barn doors make me irrationally stabby.  I don't like the idea of putting trendy/fad elements in home and barn doors are most certainly a passing fad. 

I especially don't want one in front of a bathroom. That's a room that needs proper closing! 

I don't include pocket doors in with barn doors - they're different and they *fit*. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I turned on FYI after taking Ambien, I woke up a couple hours later to what I thought was Jersey Shore doing houses. I assumed I was hallucinating and went back to sleep. But after waking this morning, I looked through the listing and sure enough, it's a real show, Nicole and Jionni's Shore Flip. Glad to know I wasn't totally hallucinating, but Ambien is the only way I can tolerate any of the Jersey Shore people.

I had no idea Kansas City had so many cool mansions.

I did, it's my hometown. Lots of great homes in lots of areas, I haven't lived there in about 20 years, so I hope some of these areas are making a comeback because I know for the last 50 or so years those weren't exactly great area. I posted about it on the DIY thread because I didn't know this tread existed and I haven't had cable DIY/flipping shows in a few years. She did one house that had been converted into 3 apartments and she was converting it back. That would only make sense if the neighborhood would be able to support single family dwellings that large. For some neighborhoods, it makes more economic sense to leave them as apartments. 

Edited by friendperidot
for added comment after reading thread
  • Love 1

I watched All-Star Flip, Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade’s house-flipping show. The flip itself was pretty nice though not earth-shattering, but the two of them have great personalities, especially Gabrielle. It makes the show very entertaining. 

I watched Boise Boys today and it is a nope from me. Their designs are predictable, the conflicts are predictable, the "win" at the end is predictable. Yawn. (also, PUHLEEZE about the fireplace not being able to hold the quartz and being the "linchpin" of finishing the house. God, so fake.) And the wood with the absolutely hideous brick was simply terrible. Even if I had billions of dollars, I would never spend nearly a million on something with that ugly brick. And the way the guy bitched about taking more of it off...yeah, I didn't like them.

I guess they just can't make a show these days about redoing grandma's house on a tight budget because pulling up shag carpet without blowing out walls just doesn't sell ad space.

• Love 3

I guess I don't mind watching Boise Boys because 1) it isn't reruns and 2) it isn't The Twins or Chip and Joanna.  As soon as I see either of the those two or that awful Vegas Flip...I immediately reach for the remote.  Well, almost any of the 1/2 hour flip shows.  But Flip or Flop or Vegas are like cod liver oil to me; or eggplant.  Can't stand them.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like Buyers' Bootcamp, too.  I always root for him to pick the most interesting (to me) house, and he usually does.
I wished he'd say Florida room, in Florida houses, instead of lanai.

Edited by auntjess

I find it very interesting that every house on HGTV's Flipping Virgins sells at or over it's listing price, but few if any of the houses on DIY's First Time Flippers sell at all. Maybe the Atlanta market is just super hot, or HGTV is loathe to have any show without a "happy ending". The First Time Flippers homes are in many different areas, you'd think one of them would sell.

Boise Boys is (are?) using that same tired formula of "drama" and "you're kidding me" moments between the two guys.  They execute it so poorly that it's like no one is even attempting to make it a remotely believable scene.  Skinny guy approaches big guy with some shocking tile choice and they bicker!  In the end, Mr. Skinny was right!  Aw shucks. 

I caught one of the Buyers' Bootcamp episodes and I really liked it!  More please!

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I caught one of the Buyers' Bootcamp episodes and I really liked it!  More please!

Sometimes, reruns of his Income Property show are on too.
Also, Renovate to Rent features 2 college buddies, now business partners, and there's very little playful bullshit.
I've given up Property Brothers, Love It or List It, Chip and Joanna, and others for silly antics, that someone somewhere thinks are funny.
No schtick please!  
I don't see it much, but Miami Flip is good, and the woman who does it, knows how to do stuff herself.

Been watching Texas Flip 'N Move today, watched it a little once before, but I'm confused about a lot on this show. A house somewhere in the Ft. Worth area has to be moved for some reason. This group of people and probably some others stand outside of it and look, then the auctioneer comes and auctions off the house. Or for whatever reason someone gives a house that has to be moved to someone in this group. After purchase, they go inside and see what they bought. The house then is moved to the "renovation lot?" I never heard of a renovation lot before. I'm guessing the remodelers have to pay some fees for space and power. Then after they spend a boatload of money to fix up the house, including paint/paper/decorating, then there is an open house, then the same auctioneer comes back and discusses how much money they need, then they go outside and auction it off. When the house is sold, the entire group of bidders walk away except for the new owners. Then I guess the new owner has to arrange to have the whole house moved to a new piece of property. Several things confuse me. The bidders on finished house look like the same group of people on every single episode. They are always so excited about the decor of their new home. When I bought a house, the homeowners hadn't gotten all the interior painting done, and as a condition of the purchase, I asked them not to, I wanted to paint to suit me. So people just buy an already decorated home? I'm assuming (I know what that means) that the furnishings and accessories are staging and will not stay. Because, don't most people have at least some furniture of their own? Well, there was that one with a hanging bed, while it sounds like fun, how practical is it? But with moving houses, I know there are restrictions about lengths, widths, weights, so isn't impractical to build a pergola front porch that is going to have to be dismantled for the move? And is moving houses a really big industry? 

When I was growing up, I lived in a rather isolated neighborhood, across the street from my house was a big, big hill. When I was little, it was just a wooded, weed choked area. In the early 1960s, Interstate 70 was being built through the middle of KC, from that area, they moved about 6 houses onto my street at the top of that hill and about 7 houses on the street to the south at the bottom of that big hill, the middle was left empty. The houses at the bottom didn't have a lot done to them, but the ones at the top, the backs of the houses were on stilts because of that hill. I have heard stories of historic and old houses being moved to new lots to preserve them. But this whole, moving these little houses, then restoring them, then moving them again just seems odd. I think one move is hard enough on an old house, just seems more practical to move to the final lot before restoring. But, what do I know?

• Love 3