Type keyword(s) to search

House Flipping Shows

• Start Topic

A friend of mine said just the other day she'd like to see David Bromstad with another show.

I'd like to see another "decorators challenge' kind of show. I LOVED seeing three different designers each come up with a plan and present their boards, searched and samples. It was sooo interesting to see three different approaches to the same space and project. I'd like to see more decorating in general, especially 'budget' designs like on Decorating Cents or Sensible Chic. AND reasonable cost remodeling -- like on Weekend Warriors. But they ruined even those when they went crazy with shows like Designed to Sell, and Takeover My Makeover, or Renovation Realities…where they had homeowners doing STUPID stuff like cutting into a wall without knowing pipes are in there, or cutting water lines with the water still on. 

I want to see more realistic projects….and most people to SOME kind of due diligence of research before redoing their kitchen. They don't just start tearing out cabinets.

I suppose I wouldn't even mind new flipping shows if the formula wasn't so…well, formulaic. 

Whatever happened to the Kitchen Cousins?…..who had another show also before that one -- which name I can't remember.

We LOVE Renovation Realities! Pure slapstick comedic gold. First Time Flippers seems to have replaced it - funny, but not as good as Renovation Realities.

• Love 4
(edited)

^^ You're a better person than I am, because I just can't watch and certainly can't enjoy stupidity like that.

I know these shows aren't educational, but can't they do better than the lowest common denominator they're devolved into?

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1

Thanks to whomever mentioned that Property Ladder was on Discovery Family.  They had an episode on that I'd not seen before.  High school guidance counselor dad decides to flip a 1920's home in California.  He started out saying he was going to expand with a huge addition to the back of the home.  Kirsten was trying to tell him no - and it got worse from there.  Inspector was not the greatest, house had horrible termite problem.  His contractor wasn't doing things correctly; there was a foundation problem that the contractor made worse.  The guy finally fired his contractor.  I think it took him 9 months to flip, and he was way over budget, of course.  His interiors were nice, but he didn't go the neutral route, which I was thinking would turn off buyers (a red wall and the granite/marble in the bathroom counter was a rust color).  He did end up making money.  He was planning on doing another flip.  He was just damned lucky he didn't lose his shirt on this one, so not sure why he'd want the headache again.

I saw Good Bones this week.  The house was so bad that they had to completely scrap the second story and rebuild it.  I liked the interior, it was a little funky, maybe not 100% me, but I liked it.  The outside was painted a light gray with a teal accent.  I didn't really care for that at all.  I did like the show as it was different than the standard professional flipper shows on air now.

I saw a show on HGTV with the husband and wife duo out of Nashville (don't remember the name of the show).  They went all the way through flipping a house with a guest house, with the wife stressing out about how they wouldn't making the date for staging and the first open house, only for her to do a 180 and say oh let's keep this and use as a vacation rental.    Then she kept going on how they were going to decorate the interior as 'rock star'.  I guess it meant having no specific colors that actually went together - it was just every primary color with neutrals and more modern style of furniture.  The interior looked ok, nothing that special.

Watched a Masters of Flip episode and I'm kinda thinking they are too smug for my taste and I wouldn't mind seeing them being taken down a notch by having this house or another lose them money...which is a really bad sign. I don't wish for good people to lose money, so that's clearly not how they're coming off to me. I'm especially struggling with this wife yet again. But the husband is trying to hard as well. And I think the person who pointed out they don't seem to be doing a ton outside of putting up the money, is completely correct, which makes an hour show a lot to take. They could instead have the show around the actual contractor Chance and the design assistant who seems to do all the work and nothing would be much different on the show, they really don't bring a lot to this.

Her design choices continue to be very kitschy and specific and she's still very much about the "my house" as if she's not flipping these houses. Hated the orange door, it was such the wrong shade, the opposite of welcoming, and the "rock and roll" style didn't ring true, it seemed more British nautical or something with the navy and white patterns and the union jack patterns in different elements. There was not one thing that was musical in the design unless I missed it, no guitars, no musical notes, nothing suggestive of music, so not sure where the rock and roll thought came. Yet again showing her as having an entirely too high opinion of her designs, she was just gushing over them. They also over-hyped their renovated garage like it was an real apartment or a studio, when it was an efficiency. It had a kitchenette, not kitchen, with barely any cabinets, I think there were literally 2, and only a two-burner stove and no oven. I'm not the biggest Christina and Tarek fan, but watching these two in just a couple of episodes are making me appreciate them more. They know what they are doing, they aren't trying to spin it like it's more than flipping and Christina always makes different design decisions with the house hunter in mind.

As an aside. has anyone seen him NOT wear a hat? Because every single scene, indoor or out, that I've seen he's got something on his head. I'm hoping there's an actual reason and not that he's got a receding hairline, because he has eyebrows, so it's not alopecia. Cause I've even seen him with it on when they were at like a cafe. And I can't tell you the last time I saw someone eating with a hat on on the East Coast that wasn't at a sports bar, let alone in the South where they are definitely more into etiquette, and that's a long-standing faux pas.

• Love 4

The mom on Good Bones is quirky and does some sort of project that comes from something that came from the house, trying to connect the remodeled version with it's past life. I believe the tires were that for her this time, an the planter didn't look nearly as bad as you'd think it would by the end when you just think of using tires. She's basically a hippy and you either like her vibe or you don't I'd guess and it's certainly okay either way. She doesn't bother me in the least, and I like that she, and her daughter for that matter, aren't in the mold of every single thing we've got on HGTV these days, which is trying way too much for uniformity in hosts if you ask me.

As for the exterior of this house. Comparatively, it was fantastic! LOL! No, I'm not an actual fan of the teal, but it was only a bright border this time, not nearly as bad as the other bright exterior colors on the entire house, this was greatly tempered with light grey on the rest of the house. I don't mind not caring for the exterior colors like I do with others as I explained before, since that's clearly a bit of the flavor of the surrounding neighborhoods, plus. As long as the interiors continuing to be a good after reveal, I'll get over the exterior color. For me, if that's my biggest issue with this show, that's minor for me, and at this point, it is.

• Love 2

The tire planter turned out better than I had expected.  Being that they are in Indianapolis, the home of the Indy 500, I think it was a good use of the old racing tires.  Didn't they say the tires were practically collector's items and they could have sold them instead?

• Love 1

I hated the faucet on the tire water feature, I also just hated the exterior of the house, I mean there wasn't a lot they could do with that one tiny off center window on the second floor but their choice of trim color was awful.

Anyone see that the USA version of Love it or List it has the first lawsuit against the show?

http://www.journalnow.com/news/state_region/love-it-or-list-it-homeowners-sue-over-raleigh-renovation/article_9badc89b-203b-5e27-8fd7-ac9c7d5e622a.html

Not surprising that once the show left the area it knew that it would run into troubles.  You'd think they'd take better care with picking contractors.  And the phony TV contractor they used?  From Staten Island.  NY not NC.  A reject from one of the Silver brothers shows.  I do find it funny how we're supposed to be surprised that the participants are assigned roles.  No kidding!

I happened upon a show on DIY that I've never seen before called Nashville Flipped. It's the show they should have had on HGTV instead of Masters of Flip. The investor, Troy who is doing the flips is also the contractor and he has a designer who he works with. Both are likable. Troy is doing actual work and he's providing a lot of information about the houses are he works on them. He's flipping the house, but doing it in a way that celebrates the era in which it was built, but with modern touches. And Julie the designer, she's doing so much more than just ordering around an assistant like the chick on Masters of Flip. She's coming up with designs that suit the home's architecture, we see her shopping at antique stores and flea markets, things like that to find pieces that work well. She's not trying to force some ridiculous design. Think the ending can vary, in one a group of realtors look at the house and in another there was an open house. I've watched 2 half hour episodes, but I was about 5 minutes in when I was positive, this was the show HGTV should have had on instead of the other that is missing something. Now, this Nashville Flipped is more in the vain of DIY than HGTV, but they've taken some of their shows before and made them work that provide a bit more information while the work is going on like Rehab Addict and Income Property. So yeah, think this would have worked a heck of a lot better.

So, not sure if this has been discussed before and I just missed it, but I'd recommend checking it out. Looks like new episodes are on Wednesday nights.

• Love 2

Yeah I'm not liking the Masters of Flip couple.  She seems so thrilled with her "designs" and then how many times she changes her mind.  Changing your mind over and over doesn't seem to be an asset to me; being flexible is one thing, but changing course that many times has to be costly, let alone driving that poor assistant crazy.  I find myself watching this show if absolutely nothing else is on tv - typically when I cannot get to sleep.

• Love 3

I find myself watching this show if absolutely nothing else is on tv - typically when I cannot get to sleep.

If want to be up and watching something, I'll dip into my Mike Holmes stash on my DVR, but if I just want to drop off, I have a few court shows recorded.

I've seen a couple Good Bones episodes and have to say . . . there's something about the hosts that really rubs me the wrong way.  Something about the disapproving way this mother/daughter duo talks about the other members of the family, for example the brother who's been assigned the Hapless Idiot role.  

They're obviously trying hard, and they seem to be very telegenic and the work is the real deal, but they're just not fun to watch.  

• Love 1

JasmineFlower, I also really like Nashville Flipped, for the reasons you mentioned. Last night there was at least one new episode along with a few repeats, which made for a good couple of hours of programming on DIY. 

I'm not a fan of Masters of Flip. Those two are legends in their own minds. Why anybody thinks this show needs to be on at all, or requires an hour per episode, is beyond me.

As to Good Bones, I have mixed feelings. I could use a little less of the mother-daughter interaction, and often roll my eyes at mom's little artsy projects. But they seem sincere about rehabbing homes in older neighborhoods of their city. And they also seem to be competent at the work. No slapdash Nicole Curtis cheapo antics. Their rehabbed houses seem to have all the structural/systems stuff done right: foundation, electrical, plumbing, etc. The latest episode, I didn't like so much. They took on some renovations at the home of what I assume is the mom's ex-husband (and his now spouse) and the daughter's dad. It was a yawner. I hope the next episode they are back to rehabbing an old house again.

• Love 1
(edited)

The latest episode, I didn't like so much. They took on some renovations at the home of what I assume is the mom's ex-husband (and his now spouse) and the daughter's dad. It was a yawner. I hope the next episode they are back to rehabbing an old house again.

The end results were pretty awful too, Jeeves.  Sunflowers scare me, and these were overgrown but the house looked really bare and blah afterwards.  And the pink dining room?  I get that the father, for some insane reason, wanted a pink dining room but the stripes were awful.  Fine for an 8-year old girl's princess bedroom, but a dining room?  And they seem to be trying single-handedly to bring back balloon valances.  I haven't seen a balloon valance in 15 years.    

But it was nice to see the whole family getting along - particularly the exes.  I just wonder what the father is going to do with the 11,716 tchotchkes and trinkets and Special Moments figurines he had so proudly displayed.

Edited by Albino
25 minutes ago, Albino said:

Sunflowers scare me

There has to be a story there...do tell!

On my tv, the pink looked Pink in some shots and leaned toward peach in other shots.  I didn't mind the stripes, though I wouldn't have chosen pink.  However, I've heard that pinks and peaches are actually very flattering to complexions.  So, it would actually be a good color for a dining room if you expect to be eating romantic dinners in there often.  But really better suited to a bedroom, I'd say.

I like the warmth in the extended exes/step family, too.  The mom/daughter relationship is enjoyable as well, and is a big draw for me.  But I would like to see more of their reno's of the smaller homes that they started out showing us.

• Love 1

There is always something that I hate with a passion on Good Bones the dads house it was the color of the doors, dining room and the landscaping. I was also annoyed that they didn't even bother to put the sunflowers in vases! 

I just saw Zombie House Flipping has its own forum!  No posts.
Can't figure it out, as it's just one of several dozen flipping shows.
I like having genre files, unless a show gets really big enough to make it stand out from the crowd.

The woman on Masters of Flip is always wearing headbands really weirdly, like they go across her forehead and sometimes over her ears as well. Drives me nuts. Do not ever like the design she and the assistant comes up with.

I just caught a rerun of Good Bones and the daughter says, "my dad's third wife's ex husband, Lenny..." ...Who are these people?! I'm partially kidding, it's nice that they can all get along and work with each other even, it's just so unusual.

Listed Sisters: I actually like their renos and designs most of the time. They can be a little awkward when dealing with the kids of their clients but I think it's almost endearing.

7 hours ago, slf said:

The woman on Masters of Flip is always wearing headbands really weirdly, like they go across her forehead and sometimes over her ears as well. Drives me nuts. Do not ever like the design she and the assistant comes up with.

I just caught a rerun of Good Bones and the daughter says, "my dad's third wife's ex husband, Lenny..." ...Who are these people?! I'm partially kidding, it's nice that they can all get along and work with each other even, it's just so unusual.

Listed Sisters: I actually like their renos and designs most of the time. They can be a little awkward when dealing with the kids of their clients but I think it's almost endearing.

My dislike for the Masters of Flip designs pales in comparison to the sheer hatred I have for the Good Bones aesthetic.  Why paint the houses orange and lime green with blue doors and pink trim?  I'm all for exteriors having personality but these stand out in a bad way.  A very bad way.

My main objection to all of these shows is that they're complete rip-offs of Property Brothers and Fixer Upper.  Especially Listed Sisters...it's Property Brothers Buying & Selling Jr. but not nearly as engaging, imo. I like the 2 women...do not like the forced goofyness of Chip Gaines-inspired contractor.  Is it that hard to come up with a fresh take on renos?  

(edited)

I've seen two episodes of Vintage Flip, and I think I like the show.  The couple sounds a little scripted, but I can give that a pass as inexperience with hosting. They're working on older houses where they try to keep as many of the original features as possible.

The most recent one I saw showed them reglazing 1950's bathroom sinks and giving them new fixtures and new vanity - I thought that was a great idea for "retro" mint green and pepto pink sinks...it's retro!  but not attractive!  I've heard of being able to reglaze tiles and tubs, but never thought about sinks.  That's a really quick and easy solution for people who can't afford to rip everything out of a dated bathroom and start over, like the flips we usually see. 

I also like that they are going beyond the typical style and design choices that everyone is making.  They used cork floors in the living areas, and a cool coppery backsplash in one of the bathrooms, in the ranch house episode.  In the Spanish reno, they incorporated tiles in various places, and used color.  I don't love all their choices, but at least they're showing more than blue gray painted cabinets and subway tile.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

I started to watch Low Money Mansions (or something like that), and it was a woman in Kansas City doing what Nicole does.
The only flipping show, other than Flip or Flop, that I've stayed with, is Miami Flip.
I like Carolina because she appears really to know how to do the work.

I liked the couple on "Vintage Flip" OK, but I guess I am totally out of step with what is "Vintage".  On the two shows I watched they re-did a house built in 1913 and one built in the 50s, which they crowed about as "Mid-century Modern".  The last time I lived in a house as new as the 1950s it was the shitbox I grew up in with my parents.  When I watch HH and see all these cramped cookie cutter houses built in the 1980s and forward that are falling apart because they're built with cheap crap I wonder how long it will be before that is considered "vintage".

I like Listed Sisters, but DVR it so I can fast forward through at 50% or more of it.  I always like the "after" of the house they are trying to sell.  Plus,  they do all the rooms for a fairly low reno cost IMO (especially compared to the Property Bros).

I watched a couple eps of Vintage Flip. I like him.  Her...not so much.  She talks like she drank way too much coffee that morning. Her designs are way too colorful and bright for real estate flipping.  I think if she toned down the color palette, they wouldn't have a house(s) still sitting on the market. 

• Love 1

Not sure this is the right board for this, but I've been watching a few episodes of While You Were Out on Discovery Family. Wow... I completely forgot how crappy the workmanship was.  Everything was glued or velcro-ed or stapled on the wall.  And the designs were awful...I'm lookin' at you John Bruce.  Granted they only had a budget of $2000 and they only redid one room, but they'd blow $150 on crazy-ass crap to make their own "one of a kind" lamp or sew ridiculous draperies when they could just buy a nice lamp and drapes for the same price.  

The whole show seems so amateur and rudimentary...and it wasn't that long ago.  Today their $2000 budget would buy an ottoman and a side table.

On the other hand, it was nice to see Andrew Dan-Jumbo and Evan Farmer again.  :)

• Love 3
Spoiler

I like "Good Bones" a lot. I'm okay with the wild colors and quirky things they do with their homes. I would not have a problem with one of their homes being next door to mine. I would even consider buying a home with some of those wild exterior colors. The two women are comfortable in front of the camera (Christine still sounds like she's reading a script after all these years when she does her talking head) and they don't shriek when they see bugs. The other day, I saw Karen go down in a crawl space, which I have to give her a lot of credit for. She went down with no hesitation.

Gave up on Fixer Upper over a year ago. Tell your kids that "Mommy and Daddy" (they're too dumb to know who "we" are) are showing a home. Show old home. Describe which wall you're going to take down. Chip antics. Call during the project because of an unexpected expense that they'll okay the fix for anyway. Chip antics. Visit the guy who makes your custom table. Tell your kids you love them ten times when they come to wish you well before you embark on your intense design process. Show home that looks much like last week's home.

I think what makes Flip or Flop successful is that it's only a half-hour show and we get the gist of everything quickly. 

Lost in a sea of house flipping shows, at least for me: Zombie House Flippers (or something like that), Masters of Flip, 5-Day Flip.

The show of the guy flipping older homes in Nashville was a keeper. I only saw a couple of those shows.

• Love 2
On 5/10/2016 at 4:30 AM, biakbiak said:

There is always something that I hate with a passion on Good Bones the dads house it was the color of the doors, dining room and the landscaping. I was also annoyed that they didn't even bother to put the sunflowers in vases! 

Or replant them out back! They are great along a tall fence.

On 6/4/2016 at 10:50 PM, Albino said:

Especially Listed Sisters...it's Property Brothers Buying & Selling Jr. but not nearly as engaging, imo. I like the 2 women...do not like the forced goofyness of Chip Gaines-inspired contractor.  Is it that hard to come up with a fresh take on renos?  

Listed Sisters reminded me of the Discover commercial where the one twin is calling customer service and the call center person is (wait for it) her twin!  Awesome-sauce!

On 6/20/2016 at 10:06 PM, Albino said:

Not sure this is the right board for this, but I've been watching a few episodes of While You Were Out on Discovery Family. Wow... I completely forgot how crappy the workmanship was.  Everything was glued or velcro-ed or stapled on the wall.  And the designs were awful...I'm lookin' at you John Bruce.  Granted they only had a budget of $2000 and they only redid one room, but they'd blow $150 on crazy-ass crap to make their own "one of a kind" lamp or sew ridiculous draperies when they could just buy a nice lamp and drapes for the same price.  

The whole show seems so amateur and rudimentary...and it wasn't that long ago.  Today their $2000 budget would buy an ottoman and a side table.

On the other hand, it was nice to see Andrew Dan-Jumbo and Evan Farmer again.  :)

I totally forgot about that show! So cheesy. Kinda like Joan Steffend (sp) on Decorating Cents.

• Love 1

Yes, I loved those shows. 
In a Fix, which had almost finished its run when I started watching, did the best work.
There was another one where they seemed to throw in psychoanalysis by some Brit.

In the minority - I actually kind of like Masters of Flip.  The wife is full of herself and the husband...with the hats.  BUT.  I do like his snarky humor - and at least the final staging is interesting; I have actually loved the final product.  Maybe it is the house stager/designer (the woman with the really looong legs) who keeps me interested.  Sadly, I have to wait an entire hour to see the finished product.  One house had a sort-of robin's-egg-blue/raspberry color scheme.  LOVED IT.  Actually, I think the reason I watch it is that it isn't Chip and Joanna.  So tired of the constant marathons of that and the Property Brothers.  Give me some snark any day.  Oh, I forgot to include endless reruns of Masters of Flip and the Tiny House people.

3 hours ago, auntjess said:

Yes, I loved those shows. 
In a Fix, which had almost finished its run when I started watching, did the best work.
There was another one where they seemed to throw in psychoanalysis by some Brit.

mmm. In a Fix with Sparky the electrician who was also an underwear model. #goodtimes

Maybe Clean Sweep? Some "organizer" guy with a British accent would armchair psychoanalyze why people were holding on to their old crap.

• Love 2

Wonder if they'd like the open concept as much if it was called a studio house as in studio apartments.
Hope I live long enough to see shows where people want wall put up to separate their rooms, and maybe even replace an island with a kitchen table.

• Love 4

I think the whole "open concept" trend started when loft apartments became so popular.  People feel like they can create that hip downtown Soho vibe in a Dutch colonial in the suburbs of Cincinnati or Hartford.  Except...not really.

• Love 2

Saw an episode of Sell This House (Roger Hazard  & Tanya Memme) where they had a designer (oh, not Roger for a change!) who took thin curtain fabric, wrap it around couch cushions and sealed it with duct tape. Yup, big old grey duct tape. No fabric tape or fabric glue (or heck, clear packing tape) but duct tape. I think they can cut this guy out of the budget and let Roger throw twin sheets over everything again.

• Love 1

The man on Love it or List it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  Chip is a camera hog and too over the top.  Glad Jonathan has toned it down.  The Young Guns are gone thank goodness.  I love HGTV, diy and FYI.

Edited by tylerwv1
Misspelling
  • Love 1

Just saw Scott McGillivray's new show, Buyers' Bootcamp, on DIY network.
It's on a couple more times, next at 11PM Monday, 8/29, and I think in the wee hours of Tuesday.

Scott hears proposals from 2 couples who need money to flip a property they own, and decides which one to partner with.
Both couples offered skilled sweat equity, and he chose one.
I liked the show, and was glad to see Scott again.

• Love 1
On 8/13/2016 at 2:11 AM, auntjess said:

Hope I live long enough to see shows where people want wall put up to separate their rooms, and maybe even replace an island with a kitchen table.

A friend was joking that that was going to be the HGTV formula in 2033:  "What's with the one big room?  Let's put up some walls, and re-define the space!!"  To me, it feels like we're going back to prairie times, where everyone lived in one damn room.  My main living floor has interior walls, and I LIKE IT!

I also really loved the run of Vintage Flip, and hope they make more of them.  I think my favorite was when they were working with their buddies Tarek and Christina on a flip, and they had the big flap over how much money to spend.  Tarek of course was trying to do everything on the cheap, and the Vintage Flip guy (Steve?) had to patiently explain to him that it didn't work that way in restoration.  I thought Tarek's head was going to explode.  Christina, on the other hand, was OVERJOYED to get to spend some money.  I just liked seeing houses that had some character for a change.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

My main living floor has interior walls, and I LIKE IT!

But how can you entertain people if you can't see them all the time.
And heaven forbid you'd have young children out of sight.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, auntjess said:

But how can you entertain people if you can't see them all the time.
And heaven forbid you'd have young children out of sight.

I'm a rude bitch, and I like to play fast and loose with my kids' safety.

J/K...I don't have any kids ;)

• Love 4

I think it all depends on the size of the space.  I never though I wanted open plan, as my mom likes to say "Who wants to see and hear everyone else all the time no matter where you are?".   But I have an open floor plan on my small main floor and it makes sense for traffic flow, and lighting and windows and making it feel bigger.   If it were even slightly bigger though I'd want more separation.

• Love 1

The thing is, when I used to have a bigger house and entertain, it was nice to have the dirty pots and dishes in the kitchen, and while you could see in, it felt like it was out of the way.
And I know the wall they've probably taken down in my house, so no more space for the piano.
I'm watching Game of Homes, a mishmash of several shows, because they take 4 rundown houses, and move them to a lot, and four couples each get one, etc, etc, etc.
When they said Vancouver, I thought oh shit, there are Scott brothers on the horizon, and apparently they are guest judges, so maybe not too much in evidence.
Then there's a bit of Home Free, and one couple wins the house and a lot to move it to.
I'm only about 15 minutes in.