Type keyword(s) to search

House Flipping Shows

• Start Topic

I recognized Mark and Dereck from the few seasons of Dancing with the Stars I watched. It made me wonder if HGTV has decided some viewers like looking at pretty boys (ala Property Brothers, that I personally don't find attractive at all) or they were going for the familiar/known faces and names, which Cooking Channel seems to be going with lately, 4 shows in the last year with women who are known for acting, not cooking. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at pitch meetings at Scripps Networks channels meetings.

• Love 2

I saw one of those Montelongo noninfomercials because I was watching a channel online. The tactics used to try and intimidate desperate people to fork money over to him were disgusting.

I've caught some episodes of that show Texas Flip and Move and I thought they were fun to watch. It seemed like everyone who ended up "winning" the houses at those auctions were always going to put them near some lake that I don't think has ever been named. I wonder if the show is still in production? 

• Love 1

I recorded some Texas Flip... last night.
They're different, and usually I love to hate on the young couple beause he's an asshole and I can't comprehend her choices.

A closet over a bathroom?
Love the sisters, because I had cousins in Alabama a lot like them.

Did anyone see the house flipping show in Oklahoma with the black couple? I really enjoyed it. Both times they flipped old homes, which I love. Their budget seems more reasonable and they redo and update a lot rather than buy all new. I enjoy that type of show. Other than those details it's a direct copy of Flip Or Flop except the husband isn't nearly as comfortable onscreen as Tarek. It's funny.

• Love 3

I didn't see it, because I discovered that my DVR didn't work that night.
I'd seen the pilot a while back, when it was called Five-Figure Flip, and liked it.
The couple/show is on Facebook.

• Love 1

While channel surfing a few days ago, I happened upon Say Yes To The Dress --- and was surprised to see Veronica ex-Montelongo trying on wedding dresses.  She seemed quite happy to be marrying her finance -- and even happier that she's rid of Armondo.  How do the same TV faces keep popping up on various shows?  Fame whores, I presume.

• Love 1

Cherie Barber, from Australia, posted on Facebook that she's been in US, and submitted offers on several properties in the Minneapolis area, for her new US show!
Here's a link to her Facebook page, but you may have to be on FB to get it.  https://www.facebook.com/renoforprofit?fref=nf

Not sure if Renovating for Profit is US or AU show, but her pilot was on in the past few months.

Heh, heh.  Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Huzzah!  I see a NEW episode of Texas Flip & Move, on DIY, and also one next week!

By the way, I didn't watch Flipping Virgins, but Egypt Sherrod posted on Facebook that it's her show, so I may.

Edited by auntjess

I've been watching Flipping Virgins and find it enjoyable. This week's show, at least, also seemed to be not terribly accurate in the wrap up -- they showed Egypt conveying full-price offer after a week on the market, lots of profit, everyone happy . . . but they also mentioned the address of the house earlier in the show, so I looked it up on Zillow. Seems like the house was on the market for almost 4 months and there was a price reduction before it was sold.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/97-Mortimer-St-SE-Atlanta-GA-30317/14467613_zpid/

• Love 1

Huzzah!  I see a NEW episode of Texas Flip & Move, on DIY, and also one next week!

I've been watching Texas Flip & Move again since it returned with new episodes. I'm liking the 2nd season ok but I liked the 1st one better. Things don't seem as loose as before and the show is coming across more scripted then it did in the 1st season.

• Love 1

Texas Flip and Move is one of my favorite real estate shows still. I have also gotten into watching those tiny house building and hunting shows. I like the ones on FYI better then HGTV. Not sure I could ever live in anything as small as most of those homes but they are interesting to watch nonetheless.

• Love 2

Hi, all.  First time posting in here. 

Just tuned into a new ep of Texas Flip & MOve, and I almost thought the young couple had a new wife in it. She went from natural-ish (pretty) brunette to blonde.

I've been watching Texas Flip & Move since the start.  It's one of those shows I'd never admit to watching, but there's something really mindlessly enjoyable about it.  Very weird about the original married couple, Cody and Suzy (I think those are the right names).  They just disappeared midway through a recent episode, replaced by the husband's cousin (who used to be their house mover) and his wife (who used to be the contractor for the Snow sisters).  No idea what happened to them.  Usually people go away at the end of a season, not in the middle of a single show.  Anyone here know what that's about?  It's like getting a new Darren on Bewitched, and everyone pretends nothing's changed!

• Love 1

Hi, Mondrianyone! I've been watching Texas Flip and Move, too, and also noticed the lineup change during the opening credits for Casey's flip of one house into two. In the episode, I heard Casey (Cody's cousin) say that he was trying to get some flipping experience and that he had hired Catrina (the Snow's usual carpenter). So, I don't think they're a couple, but she's a familiar enough face to warrant a spot in the opening credits for this one. Also, they've mentioned in the past that Casey partners with the Slay's on some flips, and they had one episode where he went to the auction and bought the house that Cody and Suzy then flipped. I didn't come away with an impression that the Slay's are off of the show, just that they weren't in this particular episode.

Wow, I didn't even know that I knew all of that. Maybe I've been doing too much binge watching . . .

• Love 4

Hi, Mondrianyone! I've been watching Texas Flip and Move, too, and also noticed the lineup change during the opening credits for Casey's flip of one house into two. In the episode, I heard Casey (Cody's cousin) say that he was trying to get some flipping experience and that he had hired Catrina (the Snow's usual carpenter). So, I don't think they're a couple, but she's a familiar enough face to warrant a spot in the opening credits for this one. Also, they've mentioned in the past that Casey partners with the Slay's on some flips, and they had one episode where he went to the auction and bought the house that Cody and Suzy then flipped. I didn't come away with an impression that the Slay's are off of the show, just that they weren't in this particular episode.

Wow, I didn't even know that I knew all of that. Maybe I've been doing too much binge watching . . .

Hi back at you, netlyon2!  I realized after posting above that Catrina and Casey aren't a couple (I remembered seeing his actual wife on the houseboat episode, but hey, things can change!).  The new opening credits do make them look like a couple, though, so I wasn't sure if they really had hooked up or not. 

But the Slays really are off the show--I Googled her Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/suzislay) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/-wsBuTMdDSOe9ht2zoPXCA0trfuUdkvSmbMK80/0), and they've announced in no uncertain terms the fact that they're not coming back for the next season.  No reason given for why that is--at least as of when I last checked.  No mention of why they disappeared in the middle of this one either.   But they're gone.  And all of it handled pretty awkwardly by the show, IMO.

• Love 1

I didn't enjoy the #youngguns - reminded me of those storage locker shows.  Plus the guy looked like he was trying to be Vanilla Ice.  And really, one of those is enough.

All true, and yet I came to embrace their ridiculous tackiness.  Casey the cousin, on the other hand, is so boring he practically doesn't exist.  He just happened to be a handy person to step into the gap.  I don't see the show staying with him any longer than it takes them to find a replacement.

• Love 2

I think Cody was the one you love to boo, and the show needed that.
Too, Cody did good carpentry work, and made some pretty ingenious things, like the toolbox vanity.
And sometimes  I liked Suzi's designs more than the others, although not all the big closets.
Actually, I liked the designers from the first season, Travis for Randy, and some guy for the sisters.

• Love 2

Hi back at you, netlyon2!  I realized after posting above that Catrina and Casey aren't a couple (I remembered seeing his actual wife on the houseboat episode, but hey, things can change!).  The new opening credits do make them look like a couple, though, so I wasn't sure if they really had hooked up or not. 

But the Slays really are off the show--I Googled her Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/suzislay) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/-wsBuTMdDSOe9ht2zoPXCA0trfuUdkvSmbMK80/0), and they've announced in no uncertain terms the fact that they're not coming back for the next season.  No reason given for why that is--at least as of when I last checked.  No mention of why they disappeared in the middle of this one either.   But they're gone.  And all of it handled pretty awkwardly by the show, IMO.

Thanks for the links! Trying to read the tea leaves on their twitters/instagrams, and it seems to me that DIY booted them off the show rather than the other way around. The reason I say this is because Suzi keeps retweeting people asking for the Slays to be put back on the show. I wonder if they were getting too big for their britches on what is, at the end of the day, an ensemble show?

• Love 2

If I had to guess, I'd guess that they were in the middle of negotiating for the next season, and the Slays thought they were worth more than TPTB thought they were worth, so maybe they walked off and TPTB told them, to their surprise, to stay off.  And now the Slays regret playing hardball.  But who knows, really?  I don't think it should be all that tough to come up with a good replacement for them.  Just not Casey, please.

• Love 3

The number one thing that bothers me about house flipping shows is the unrealistically low construction and contractor costs, for labor and materials. I just watched a Flip or Flop show where the contractor -- gave a quite of 9K for all new plumbing AND a new roof……and said rewiring the entire house would be 2K. Uh Excuse me. In what world? I know contractor give costs breaks to flippers they work with all the time, but they still have to make SOME money on the job. I just don't see how they get the jobs done for as little as they do.

There was a flipping show Flip This House and one of the flippers was Rudy Martinez in LA. He worked with almost only Hispanic contractors and the dirt cheap rates he paid them were so unrealistically low it was ridiculous.

Labor and materials CANNOT possibly be that cheap in LA and Southern California. I think the profit margins should be a lot tighter than they let on. They give the numbers so I guess they're not lying, but I have my own personal doubts about some of the numbers we're shown.

• Love 1

I've got it on my DVR now.  I saw this a while back, don't remember how many they showed.
The woman is Australian, and has a show there, and is on Facebook.
(I'm typing this in Notepad, and hope to paste it in, because I'm having a problem typing in to reply.  It hesitates a LONG time between
letters.  Suspect an IE/PrevtV problem.)

I watched Big Beach Builds. A pretty blonde contractor named Marnie Oursler hosting the showing & "working" & designing the transformation. The house was located in Bethany Beach, Delaware. I'm from the Philly area which isn't that far from there but I don't think I've ever been there. She did a great job and really brighten the house up. The only weird thing which I didn't really understand was an indoor shower connected to the outdoor shower with a frosted glass door. I didn't really understand the point of it. If both people were using it at the same time you wouldn't want to go through either one. She did build a great deck off the house which ideal for those summer days. There was any talk of budget so I don't know how much the couple and HGTV put in. Hopefully, when I buy my "cheap" beach house she can come and work her magic on it.

My 5-Day is listed as a new one too, still haven't watched this episode.
I've been watching Miami Flip, and like it because the flipper, Carolina Sullivan, seems to know what's up, e.g. she can tear back some drywall, and see that it's strapped per hurricane code.

Re: Texas Flip and Move, if you check out the show's website, you can actually buy many of the houses renovated on the show. I doubt that all the winning bidders in this case had financing fall through or whatever. This means that at least some of the successful auctions featured fake bidders,and the houses actually didn't sell. The Young Guns had a number of non sales, which could be why they are off the show. In any event, buy a cheap plot of land in DFW and you can get a cheap fixed up fixer whose virtues, problems and renovation process you can witness first hand on TV!

What in the world does "5 Day Flip" even refer to? The little I saw of it, I thought you can't be talking about 5 days of work on the house, because the work you're doing needs permits. You can't be referring to selling in 5 days, because you don't know that will happen.

Dumb show name I think. Goes back to all HGTV shows have stupid time rushed formats: Designed to sell 2 days to remodel a house for resale, "24 Hourr Design" -- one day to redecorate a house. Ridiculous.

I don't think I've ever seen permits addressed on flipping shows, except when on "Flip or Flop" they look at a house and want to know if an addition was permitted. Permits always bothered me on the various "Crasher" shows, because a lot of what was done would require permits. I think we are expected to suspend disbelief or assume such issues were addressed.

I saw a show the other night called, IIRC, "Five Day Flip" with some Australian woman flipping a house in the Minneapolis area. It, too, was on late at night.

That's the show people are posting about - it showed up on my on-line guide as new but I think it was on DIY first.

I can't be alone in my "open concept" hatred can I?

I don't understand why people want their house to basically be just one big room with some bedrooms.

I wouldn't want to walk in my front door and see my entire house.

I rented a house years ago where the living and dining rooms were just one big room, I couldn't put a wall up so I put open shelves up and filled it with plants to give it some separation.

I just don't understand this trend. I can see ten years from now, people will be adding walls once the trend is over.

One thing that bugs me about the house hunters on these shows is the constant use of the word "entertain".

"This room is great for entertaining" or "we entertain a lot so we need...xyz".

Do people really talk like that? I think most people would say they have parties instead of saying they like to entertain. They would say this room/house would be good for parties.

It's petty, I know but it annoys me.

• Love 5

The last 3 homes I've owned are "open concept", 2 built new with that in mind, 1 built in 1949 and renovated. It wasn't a deal breaker for me on any of them, but I love the open concept. We don't "entertain", it's just the 2 of us, and it's perfect for us. I like being able to cook dinner and see the TV in the great room.

I can't be alone in my "open concept" hatred can I?

Nope.  I'm in an apartment now, so it's more open, but my house had rooms, and you could close off places, keep kids or dogs in or out of places.

And my kitchen had a kitchen table to work at, so you could sit with you feet on the floor, not on a stool.

I did like to entertain a lot, and did not want my kitchen, full of dirty pots and dishes, to be a centerpiece of any party.

• Love 3

1) So we're supposed to believe the Aussie in Five Day Flip manages to get all her work done (including all inspections), including but not limited to:

-- complete kitchen and bath gut jobs

-- changing a stove from electric to gas

-- changing flooring 

-- complete paint job (that alone should be one day)

Even if you have an inspector come out on day three, if it's for anything inside the walls. You still have to dry wall after that, AND do all remaining work. All in five days. Yeah right.

Then again, these shows are about fake drama. For some reason producers think the audience is stupid, and that the shows HAVE to have  the "Oh, my. I don't know if we'll make this deadline" and "we may not finish on time: nonsense. Why is there a time element AT ALL? Just do the flip, count the days, and how long it takes is how long it takes. WHY does it have to be "5 day flip" with most of the show being about the deadline? But then again we know even if they DID call it "10 day Flip…it would STILL be all about fretting about the timeline. The show wouldn't be the show and it wouldn't be REALITY TV -- if it didn't set an UNrealistic deadline.

2) In terms of all flipping shows I find it interesting that for TV anyway, none of them are the 'lipstick on a pig" types. None of them want to spend any money. Yet they mostly tend to want to 'go high end.' And have 'a designer' look. (whatever that means)

Can anyone think of which shows are really the 'quick and dirty get-er done' type flips? There was a show "Designed to Sell" but it wasn't a flipping show.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 4

I've watched a few episodes of Zombie House Flippers, where they take the bad or dilapidated houses to flip.

One the other day backed onto high-voltage transmission lines, and you could hear a constant hum in the back yard.

Those SOBs added water feature (new name for fountain) to mask the sounds. 
I thought that was really low.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2

1) So we're supposed to believe the Aussie in Five Day Flip manages to get all her work done (including all inspections), including but not limited to:

-- complete kitchen and bath gut jobs

-- changing a stove from electric to gas

-- changing flooring 

-- complete paint job (that alone should be one day)

Even if you have an inspector come out on day three, if it's for anything inside the walls. You still have to dry wall after that, AND do all remaining work. All in five days. Yeah right.

Then again, these shows are about fake drama. For some reason producers think the audience is stupid, and that the shows HAVE to have  the "Oh, my. I don't know if we'll make this deadline" and "we may not finish on time: nonsense. Why is there a time element AT ALL? Just do the flip, count the days, and how long it takes is how long it takes. WHY does it have to be "5 day flip" with most of the show being about the deadline? But then again we know even if they DID call it "10 day Flip…it would STILL be all about fretting about the timeline. The show wouldn't be the show and it wouldn't be REALITY TV -- if it didn't set an UNrealistic deadline.

2) In terms of all flipping shows I find it interesting that for TV anyway, none of them are the 'lipstick on a pig" types. None of them want to spend any money. Yet they mostly tend to want to 'go high end.' And have 'a designer' look. (whatever that means)

Can anyone think of which shows are really the 'quick and dirty get-er done' type flips? There was a show "Designed to Sell" but it wasn't a flipping show.

Yea, any ones that Armando Montelango did.

I've watched a few episodes of Zombie House Flippers, where they take the bad or dilapidated houses to flip.

One the other day backed onto high-voltage transmission lines, and you could hear a constant hum in the back yard.

Those SOBs added water feature (new name for fountain) to mask the sounds. 

I thought that was really low.

And not just a fountain (because that alone didn't hide the entire sound), little outdoor speakers playing running water sounds as well. In my state, they'd have to disclose both the fact that the substation is there and the noise it makes. I have no idea about Florida rules.I've watched 3 episodes of that show and am done. The only likable person on the show is someone that I am not even sure what he is doing ON there, as he doesn't seem to have any actual skill (but a cute dog).

Either there is far too much producer-driven drama (Designer goes over budget behind everyone's back! Builder misses OBVIOUS key problems!) or these people have no business flipping houses.

Edited by WildPlum
  • Love 1

Re: 5 Day Flip - unless the title is supposed to be symbolic ("a flip so fast it LOOKS like it only took 5 days!") or the flip required just paint and maybe a new sink somewhere, there is no way on earth I'd buy a house flipped in 5 days.

"Here, subcontractor, I don't care what the quality is, just have the house entirely re-plumbed in 24 hours."

Hmmm, no.

• Love 2

Re: 5 Day Flip - unless the title is supposed to be symbolic ("a flip so fast it LOOKS like it only took 5 days!") or the flip required just paint and maybe a new sink somewhere, there is no way on earth I'd buy a house flipped in 5 days.

"Here, subcontractor, I don't care what the quality is, just have the house entirely re-plumbed in 24 hours."

Hmmm, no.

I watched the show today, and it does indeed contend she rehabbed it in 5 days. There were so many contractors in the house I was wondering how they weren't tripping over one another. I'm talking 3 to 4 if not more in every room. She said flipping in 5 days saves money, but how expensive is it to have that many workers there at one time?

• Love 1