Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I cringe at any actor on a soap singing. 

Same. I don't care if the actor was in a Broadway musical (though that does help a lot with minimizing the secondhand embarrassment).

2 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

At this point Ava seems like the only female character written with much complexity.

She certainly had her share of weepy moments in the past. MW is able to give them a bit of backbone, at least. I don't know why FH doesn't do the same.

2 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

Apropos of nothing, I really want those Pikeman crates to be full of Deceptors. This show needs some silly, soapy twist and I’ll take anything. 

I love this idea!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

She certainly had her share of weepy moments in the past. MW is able to give them a bit of backbone, at least. I don't know why FH doesn't do the same.

Tbh because I think FH is acting out these moments more for her Emmy reel instead of the overall SL/character exposition and knows it will look better when those individual scenes are spliced together. The Emmy voters tend not to go for subtle 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
28 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I have fond memories of Jack Wagner singing.  Not so much Anna fan-girling  over Eli Love(?) (Rick Springfield).

And Rick Springfield playing himself when the Nurses Ball returned. Wallace and Stuart did a decent job of singing back in ‘98, as did the cast of Port Charles that year.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Jack Wagner and, in the same time period, Robyn Bernard, sang as acts in Duke's club.  Robyn, especially, had a very good voice and it was written well into the story line.  But I think my favorite singing episodes were whenever  Frisco would pull out his guitar at a party and he and Tony would team up for a folk song or a Christmas carol. Pleasant, fun, melodic and could happen in real life.

I enjoyed the Eddie Mayne scenes.  I think his music career days are over, but I think it's been important for Olivia to see this side of her husband and for Ned to get reacquainted with it.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, JMO said:

I enjoyed the Eddie Mayne scenes.  I think his music career days are over, but I think it's been important for Olivia to see this side of her husband and for Ned to get reacquainted with it.  

I think a better idea would have been for Ned to have gotten fed up with the Qs accusing and blaming him for the insider trading stuff that he decided to quit ELQ and go back to his Eddie Main's roots.

Originally, Ned started this up when he was on a boring business trip in upstate NY and he met Lois who realized that he could sing. Ned gave her a false name of Eddie Main because he wanted to be incognito and told her that he was a pharmaceutical salesman. It gave him an alternate avenue in his life as he was growing more and more frustrated with dealing with his family and running ELQ with Edward constant demands.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, JMO said:

But I think my favorite singing episodes were whenever  Frisco would pull out his guitar at a party and he and Tony would team up for a folk song or a Christmas carol. Pleasant, fun, melodic and could happen in real life.

Brad Maule (Tony) sang in real life. I remember seeing him on a talk show with his guitar. 

When Lois and Brenda started their record company in the '90s, they signed Miguel, played by Ricky Martin who was a singer, too. He had been a member of Menudo before he tried his luck on GH.

Edited by rur
  • Like 6
9 minutes ago, rur said:

Brad Maule (Tony) sang in real life. I remember seeing him on a talk show with his guitar. 

Ricky Martin was a singer, too. He had been a member of Menudo before he tried his luck on GH.

Ricky was and is a great singer but his acting was passable

I liked Wally’s singing on the show in the past but for whatever reason, he doesn’t sound as good now

Edited by DanaK
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

Why did they waste money building a cabinet around Carly's refrigerator?  Before:general-hospital-nina-reeves-carly-2.jpg

And after:

capture_20230705_140132.jpg

Sam's place got a few new paintings and a new couch?

Hey moss, I see you. Did you get some work done. A little pruning?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

With that whole singing for one person at the Cobra club story from Eddie are they going to make it that Olivia went to that show? Lois not being in this story or brought up more by Eddie is not making this story work. 

Cody finally put us out of misery of this horrible story. He should have drugged the doctor like he's done to Sasha. 

"I'm sorry about that " Anna was stupid to say it like that she stepped in his foot. I don't mind Portia blaming Anna or Sonny.  Anna just trying to ease her own guilt and doesn't think twice about going around town to people's homes. Finding the person who wanted to kill her does nothing for Curtis now. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Cody finally put us out of misery of this horrible story. He should have drugged the doctor like he's done to Sasha. 

"I'm sorry about that " Anna was stupid to say it like that she stepped in his foot. I don't mind Portia blaming Anna or Sonny.  Anna just trying to ease her own guilt and doesn't think twice about going around town to people's homes. Finding the person who wanted to kill her does nothing for Curtis now. 

I wanted the dr to be drugged. I know he had the syringe on him. As for Anna, as she has said, if someone really wanted to kill her, she would be dead. A random shot into a group of people, and setting her house on fire without knowing if she was even there aren't real assassination attempts. I hope Cody takes Sasha to some remote house where they won't be able to find her.

Maybe Moss got a little trim off the top and sides!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I liked Wally’s singing on the show in the past but for whatever reason, he doesn’t sound as good now

I agree. Maybe he hasn't been singing (except on GH) lately. If you don't keep exercising your voice, you start to lose it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Ricky was and is a great singer but his acting was passable

awful.

I remember him saying Leelee [Lily] a thousand times per conversation.  And his and Brenduh's cringeworthy MTV-style music video. 

It's too bad they don't have a singer on GH now (sorry Chase) and an awesome club like the Outback (sorry Curtis), where they can perform.

8 hours ago, susannah said:

I wanted the dr to be drugged. I know he had the syringe on him.

If he had the syringe on him, maybe it's more important that Cody hasn't injected him, that way they can analyze its contents, if the show smartens up and goes that far, because it's Dr. Thumb's word against Sasha's, the junky.

Plus Cody is in for a slew of charges, including one for assault. So they need something to keep him out of jail.

If the show has any type of logic, this is how things will go down.

I hate everything about this storyline. The opioid crisis is a real thing, there are people dying from drug use every single day, and here we have a character who is being drugged like it's no biggie.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I hate everything about this storyline. The opioid crisis is a real thing, there are people dying from drug use every single day, and here we have a character who is being drugged like it's no biggie.

It's not even about Sasha being drugged. It's about Gladys needing to pay her gambling debts. So gross.

At least people are starting to clue into the fact that maybe Sasha is in trouble not of her making.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, PatsyandEddie said:

If the syringe is in the coat pocket, it could prove that Sasha isn’t using but being force fed drugs.

Especially since the drug in the new syringe is the 'forget you ever met me' stuff that Dr. Evil asked his supplier for on the phone. 

• Like 4

Liz: "I think Carly's sabotage days are behind her."  Wrong Liz, wrong.

Curtis to Molly and TJ;  'i can't think of two better people to become parents than you two."  Me: Just about anyone else would be better. Talk about premature celebrating.

Interesting how the show has flipped Molly and Kristina. Now Kristina is the one wearing suits and going to meetings and Molly is all about relationships and being able to have a cocktail.

They've ruined Spencer/Trina for me. After her anger at Spencer, I felt nothing when he gave her the gift.

Nice bit of business from KA touching Nina on her way out of the courtroom. I like what they are doing with Kristina and Nina.

Jake and Charlotte's date is a nice use of the younger set.

The look on Dex's face as Sonny explained to him why the charges were dropped makes me think that he didn't get it even then.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Aren't Charlotte and Jake (adoptive) cousins? Lucky is legally Jake's father still, is he not?

Maybe they can double-date with Sam and Dante, the other dating quasi-relatives. Oooh, with the added bonus of Dante being Charlotte's step-father and Sam being Jake's (former) stepmother. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Well, whadaya know? Disney and Charter/Spectrum came to terms and I could watch the show on ABC for a change. 

"Oh, I think Carly's sabotage days are behind her." And Carly smirks, knowing that will never be true.

I always forget that Jordan is TJ's mom, so whenever I see her with him or Molly, I have to stop and think why that is.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I always forget that Jordan is TJ's mom, so whenever I see her with him or Molly, I have to stop and think why that is.

Maybe because Tajh Bellow is 28 years old while Tanisha Harper is only 37. If it were real life, Jordan would be approaching those years of invisibility for a woman.

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wat trying to figure out if they were blood related the whole time. That's how I spent the show.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

LOL at the judge giving Sonny the stink-eye. They're not supposed to care!

Dismissing the charges without prejudice is only half a win, IMO. As the judge pointed out, they can be refiled against Sonny at any time. Everyone is acting as if Sonny will never be charged again.

Carly had a weird response to Esmé asking for a high chair. I get she dislikes Esmé, but why take it out on the giant cute baby?

15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They've ruined Spencer/Trina for me. After her anger at Spencer, I felt nothing when he gave her the gift.

Both of them are idiots, IMO. 

I like the talks Mac had with Georgie and James. I doubt the regular writers would ever give us scenes like these.

I also liked Finn shutting down Violet. She's really obnoxious.

I also spent the show trying to figure out if Charlotte and Jake are blood related. They aren't, but they have a lot of familial ties the way it is.

Am I supposed to think Curtis is so brave for going to the Savoy? I don't. Getting on with his life is what he's supposed to be doing.

41 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The look on Dex's face as Sonny explained to him why the charges were dropped makes me think that he didn't get it even then.

Dex knew about the fake info on the drive Betty found. It never occurred to him that might have played a part? Of course not, since he's a dolt.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Dex knew about the fake info on the drive Betty found.

They're really playing this like Dex had no idea and I don't know if that's the writing that forgot that Dex knew or the actor who forgot that Dex knew.  It really made him look dumber than a box of rocks, which Idon't think is what they were going for.  

10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Am I supposed to think Curtis is so brave for going to the Savoy? I don't

Right?  Especially when Nneka found him sulking in the back.  "I don't know where my place is now".  Here, you dumbass.  

11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

also spent the show trying to figure out if Charlotte and Jake are blood related

Yep!!  Took me five minutes of drawing both their family trees to end up with:  she's his half brother's first cousin.  

So, the hearing was during the day as was the Kelly's stuff, but The Savoy stuff was at night?  Or were TJ, Molly, and Jordan day drinking?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Dismissing the charges without prejudice is only half a win, IMO. As the judge pointed out, they can be refiled against Sonny at any time. Everyone is acting as if Sonny will never be charged again.

The crates contained coffee, not illegal arms, so there is nothing to refile. He's a "coffee importer".

Of course, this only works if Sonny never accepts another shipment from Pikeman again. The feds will have their eyes on him now.

• Like 5

I thought the whole point of Curtis not going to the savoy was that it isn’t wheelchair accessible? So how did he get in? And if he’s able to get in, why can’t he continue to manage the place?

Why did Molly and TJ have to share the news right this very minute when they don’t even know if the insemination took? He about you wait until you know for sure, and then wait at least three more months until the pregnancy is viable before spreading the joy?

it was a nice twist that the crates were full of coffee beans but I really wanted to see gummy bears! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

They're really playing this like Dex had no idea and I don't know if that's the writing that forgot that Dex knew or the actor who forgot that Dex knew.  It really made him look dumber than a box of rocks, which Idon't think is what they were going for.  

Evan Hofer's facial expressions in the during the big dismissal were hilarious. I don't know what he was going for, but I suspect it wasn't supposed to be "confused and dumb."

Violet wore out her welcome with me awhile ago, but today, I really wanted her sent off-canvas. They are still writing her as the cute, precocious tot, but JL is way beyond that age. I just looked up her bio, and she's nine and a half. At that age, Violet's behavior is just bratty and obnoxious. (Also, as a side note, I hope someone is working with her on her speech. My son had similar speech issues, and even with years of speech therapy, he still has some leftover pronunciation issues as an adult.)

I'm a total sap, so I loved the Georgie and James scenes with Mac. The hero talk (especially on 9/11) got me a little misty-eyed. I also really like the Georgie and James actors. 

I loved the Jake and Charlotte date, but it felt like they should be related. I guess they aren't, but it was still jarring. They were totally adorable, though.

Who did Avery Kristen Pohl piss off in wardrobe? That dress/t-shirt combo was awful, but maybe I'm having flashbacks to my high school wardrobe. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I thought the whole point of Curtis not going to the savoy was that it isn’t wheelchair accessible? So how did he get in?

I'd like to see some sort of recognition on Curtis' part, that his club wasn't accessible, unless you want to come in through the alley, like you were a shipment of beer or something. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I am sick of Trina being so jealous and acting like a 12 year old. I’ll be glad when “Spencer” leaves the show and maybe so will the actress who plays Trina. I don’t think she’s very good

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I am sick of Trina being so jealous and acting like a 12 year old. I’ll be glad when “Spencer” leaves the show and maybe so will the actress who plays Trina. I don’t think she’s very good

I like NAC and TA, but I think the writing for this pairing is atrocious. It feels like the showrunners are biding their time because they know NAC isn't coming back after he enters the Ryan Murphy universe. As cute as Ace is, he is a ridiculous roadblock in their relationship. Spencer isn't Ace's father, and it makes no sense to me that a 21-year-old guy would insist on playing daddy to his half-brother. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

I do see a parallel in how both Joss and Trina are handling their relationships. Both have a point of contention with their bf. In Joss’ case, it’s Dex working for Sonny and now prioritizing it over her and in Trina's case it’s Spencer spending all of his time with Ace and by extension Esme. Neither are exactly quiet about it but their bf quickly causes them to back off the issue by the same lame speech only for them to bring it up another day. I suspect in both of their cases, they don’t push the issue too much because they know if they deliver an ultimatum, they won’t be chosen so they’re settling  for the status quo. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
27 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I suspect in both of their cases, they don’t push the issue too much because they know if they deliver an ultimatum, they won’t be chosen so they’re settling  for the status quo. 

Joss and Trina are both pathetic. Neither of their boyfriends has a 9-to-5 job, so to speak, yet the young women expect them to be at their beck and call anyway. Joss has lived within the mob life and should know the score, so she's definitely the bigger dummy, but Trina should know life with a giant cute baby is all-encompassing. Spencer has proven he genuinely wants to be involved in Ace's life, and however anyone feels about that, it means he has to be there and work with Esmé. 

I'm mildly curious to see Spencer's reaction to Esmé possibly moving above Kelly's. Watch Portia get wind of it and prepay Esmé's rent for a year, LOL.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Did Dex ever actually know anything about the flash drive with the fake info?  I know he was watching Betty and left her alone in the penthouse to look around, but I can't remember if Sonny gave him all of the details.

Jake and Charlotte ain't blood related, so I guess that's cool.  Although, wasn't Charlotte supposed to be the same age as Aiden?  They were in the same class during that bullying story a few years back.  I guess they have the Jake actor available so it's easier to use him.

Now I realize that Jake is dating his brother's former school bully lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Kristina saying thank god you're here to Michael! Should have been what are you doing here? Him suddenly caring is ridiculous when he was throwing him in jail a matter of weeks ago. Good he got back row. 

Loved Dante staying and not caring what it looked like. Also the Nina/Dante/Kristina scenes agree charges dismissed while Michael just leaves to call mommy. 

Why wouldn't Esme not assume the food was for her? She's the only other adult living there. 

Molly was clutching a stuffed animal last we saw her. Now she's happy announcing to Curtis? 

Why is Dex acting like it was the flash drive.  Didn't he know about Austin and setting up the nanny? Why does he look confused at the end after Sonny said he did good?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sake614 said:

it was a nice twist that the crates were full of coffee beans but I really wanted to see gummy bears!

I figured it was coffee, but gummy bears would have been better! Coffee flavored gummy bears perhap? Or in the shape of coffee beans?

• LOL 3

I don’t see Trina as acting like a 12-year old at all. She has, IMO, legitimate concerns about Spencer’s relationship with Esme and Ace, and why wouldn’t she? This arrangement was never supposed to last forever. 

Maybe it’s because I’m a fan of the character (and the actress) and the pairing but I completely understand her POV. It’s too bad the writing for Trina is abysmal so none of her concerns are showcased in a real way. At the end of the day, Spencer started this (wanting to care for Ace) because he was concerned about Esme’s parenting skills. Well, he has since said she’s a great mom, so why is he still co-parenting with her? Why must he be around as “daddy” when she’s doing a great job? Does he plan to co-parent with her forever? If she decides to move, is he going to move with her? If she gets married, is he gonna be fighting for custodial/visitation rights too? If Nik shows back up, is he planning on fighting Nik so he can keep being a parent to his baby brother? They don’t even know Nik supposedly died?! This story would make much better sense if Nik was supposedly dead OR Ace was Spencer’s kid. Will Esme forever be a major part of their lives?! That’s what Trina wants to know. Every single time they are shown onscreen, Esme/Ace interrupt in some way. That’s a lot, esp when Spencer is not even Ace’s dad. 

People may forget but Esme drugged Trina and set her up to be imprisoned. Trina has every right to not like Esme or want her to be a part of her life in a major and consistent way. Spencer playing daddy to his baby brother keeps her a part of Trina’s life. That’s why they need to have an open and honest conversation about Spencer’s plans and life goals. Is he ever gonna get a job, go to school, or get his own place? You can “co-parent” in separate homes. Is the plan to just keep living with her forever?

I would have no issue with Trina ending things with Spencer after having a honest talk with him. I was hoping the writing would go there yesterday but of course they didn’t. She’s young. Spencer is NOT Ace’s dad so he doesn’t need to jump every time that kid needs something. Like the time he had to leave to give Ace a bottle WITH Esme!! Seriously?!?! Trina not wanting to be in such a complicated relationship at 20-21 is not acting like a 12-year old to me! 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Although, wasn't Charlotte supposed to be the same age as Aiden

Charlotte showed up in 2016 at the age of 9.  She and Aiden were both 9 at the time  (though Aiden was born onscreen in July 2010 so they  SORASed him by a few years at that point).  Its' been said that they are both 14 now and Jake is 16 (Jake was born onscreen in May 2007 so his age tracks)

• Useful 1

Spencer and Esme’s coparenting arrangement is completely insane so everything Trina said was on point. There’s no reason he has to be around 24/7 and live with them. No one does that when they aren’t involved with the mom. Spencer 100% has his head in the sand that it isn’t blurring the lines for Esme and his explanation was all about how it isn’t bad for him. Of course Esme is treating him like her SO and expecting him around all of the time when he’s doing all of this. I just didn’t think Trina should have let him off the hook because he gave her a gift. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

If it weren't for the strike I'd be 100% certain NAC is gone as soon as his contract is up.  So maybe they are writing with that in mind, I am unsure.  Who knows how long this strike is gonna last.  But yeah once he plays that high-profile Ryan Murphy role, he's not going back to soaps.  He may not be a movie star but he's gonna stay booked and busy elsewhere.  

IMHO the problem is not Trina, it's Esme.  She's now a useless character being propped by Spencer.  The only way that could change is when Nicholas finally shows up.  But right now, it's really bad.  It's a big issue, and they don't see it because they are so enamored of Avery.   And I don't even expect things to get better when Nicholas does show is face.  I sadly expect Esme and Spencer to join forces then.  The whole thing is really bad and they NEVER should have given her a baby.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

And I don't even expect things to get better when Nicholas does show is face.  I sadly expect Esme and Spencer to join forces then.  The whole thing is really bad and they NEVER should have given her a baby.  

Well, better Esme than Joss or Trina (imho). Or a geriatric pregnancy for one of the other characters.  🙂

I did like Elizabeth talking to Esme and beaming at the giant cute baby. We never got as many scenes as we should have where Esme learned about her non-BSC relatives. I suppose a few lines of dialog is all we're going to ever get.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Did Dex ever actually know anything about the flash drive with the fake info?  I know he was watching Betty and left her alone in the penthouse to look around, but I can't remember if Sonny gave him all of the details.

Jake and Charlotte ain't blood related, so I guess that's cool.  Although, wasn't Charlotte supposed to be the same age as Aiden?  They were in the same class during that bullying story a few years back.  I guess they have the Jake actor available so it's easier to use him.

Now I realize that Jake is dating his brother's former school bully lol.

That’s where I’m at.  I’m like, “but she bullied your brother”.  In reality, he shouldn’t want anything to do with her.  I wouldn’t date anyone who bullied my siblings.

• Like 2