Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Chase still punched him.  Jut because he insulted Brooklyn with words.  He wasn't physically threatening her.  That's not OK.  A police officer should have better control of his emotions.  Even if Valentin said it was all good, the suspension should have stood.  And, it's not like he learned his lesson because he also punched Link.  I can't remember exactly why, but again, I don't think he was physically doing anything to brook at the time.

I'm not going to disagree with you on this. BL wasn't in physical danger, but she was being dragged by Valentin. I'm pretty sure he called her a whore. And Linc was sexually harassing her as far as I remember. She should have been the one doing the decking if anything, but nothing starts a romance like a guy punching another one on the nose for insulting the damsel in distress (being tongue in cheek here).

I'd be fine with Chase's suspension and him remaining suspended if the punishments fit the crimes across the board. But characters have done much worse than this and been punished a lot less. Plus Mac and Jordan got to tell him how disappointed they were in him, something we don't exactly hear on this show. 

That whole story arc, from A to Z was off putting. I don't even know what they were trying to do with BL and Chase. None of this was worth it.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2022 at 1:04 PM, statsgirl said:

Joss: "My mom says you have to learn how to love. And you might not get it right the first time or the time after that..."  Carly's biggest love is herself so I think she's got it.

Carly (and Joss) are always true to form:

1c2093ce4a7551545631288f880188d9fd18fd8f

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Spencer needs to grow up. He's an adult, he should start acting like one. I know it's a tall order for these writers, though. 

Well let's see .... we have Curtis who seems to be aging backwards in front of our  eyes, Portia who is a woman with an adult daughter who squeals like a 3 year old, and Sonny and Michael who throw more temper tantrums than Wylie probably does.

Yep, tall order.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

Regarding Esme's nanny:

We know that Esme found Ryan in PC, but do we know for sure that that was the first time Ryan found out Heather had given birth to their child? Maybe he knew sooner and arranged for the nanny to get the job to look out for Esme for him. Maybe Heather wasn't the only crazy woman he knew.

Esme had to have known Ryan prior to coming to PC, otherwise her meeting Spencer at school is just a whopper of a coincidence. Ryan had her torture Ava and use Spencer's dislike of Ava as cover. If the fan wiki is correct, Ryan was working for the DVX when Esme would have been born. So he had the money to hire someone to keep tabs on Esme, someone like The Nanny. Which is fitting, since we also have Mr. Sheffield on the show. Imagine if Fran Drescher did a cameo as Esme's nanny-hooker, lmao.

I thought Ryan had Esme purposely meet Spencer so she could worm her way into his life and mess with his dad’s relationship with Ava. Which means Esme knew about Ryan for some time. Am I misremembering that?

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Oh, god, SO SMUG!  I guess we'll find out sometime in 2025 what his deal is, re a grudge against Sonny.  Probably around the time Willow gives birth.

He really is so smug, and he saw that Cam was taking his order that day at Kelly’s and was still smug, knowing he’s been macking on his girlfriend. 

I hope he’s a triplet to Willow and Nelle and gets super close to his new mom Nina, just to make Joss unhappy.

• LOL 8
On 12/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. They're making shit up as they go along. As per usual.

This would make an excellent t-shirt/sweatshirt! So applicable not only to TFGH writers but so many others.

Make it so. (\Picard voice)

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

I thought Ryan had Esme purposely meet Spencer so she could worm her way into his life and mess with his dad’s relationship with Ava. Which means Esme knew about Ryan for some time. Am I misremembering that?

That was the original story but they tend to forget what they write as soon as they write it.  They also change things and drop things at a whim, so who knows where we're at now.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, DanaK said:

4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

That was the original story but they tend to forget what they write as soon as they write it.  They also change things and drop things at a whim, so who knows where we're at now.  

It's been dragged out for so long, and so convoluted now with Heather as the mother that I can't remember exactly. I tried to read the GH Wiki on Esme and got more confused. Esme pretended to be Hayden Barnes? And I forgot about the Kiki ID thing.

I understand her job was to break up Nik and Ava but all the other crap, like the sex tape, the bear for Avery, etc. muddied the story for me. I guess she's supposed to be a loose cannon, what with the parents she has, but it's been so drawn out I just want her story to end. Preferably off a parapet. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

It's been dragged out for so long, and so convoluted now with Heather as the mother that I can't remember exactly. I tried to read the GH Wiki on Esme and got more confused. Esme pretended to be Hayden Barnes? And I forgot about the Kiki ID thing.

I understand her job was to break up Nik and Ava but all the other crap, like the sex tape, the bear for Avery, etc. muddied the story for me. I guess she's supposed to be a loose cannon, what with the parents she has, but it's been so drawn out I just want her story to end. Preferably off a parapet. 

Ryan called her out on trying to get revenge on Joc because it distracted her from his goal to separate Nic and Ava. It seems she was easily distracted by Joc hating her so she did the sex tape thing out of spite, among other things with the younger set

• Useful 2
On 12/17/2022 at 6:15 AM, ljr said:

With rory gone is Dante now the only cop?

I believe so, unless you count Valerie who hasn’t been seen (or I think even name-checked) in over two years.  

Could the producers not spring for a day-player?  The head of Internal Medicine (who was introduced as a General Practitioner) and an ID physician were playing trauma surgeons.  But…of all the things we have to suspend disbelief for on a regular basis, this is pretty far down the list.

I’m here for Ava’s revenge and more Heather/Ryan.  And I’m liking dark-side Elizabeth.

• Like 2
On 12/17/2022 at 7:31 AM, CeChase said:

Chavez gives Spencer BDE,  and I think they like utilizing that, but the scenes where he punched Dex and the immediate aftermath were bad writing IMO.   It just came out of nowhere.  

Interestingly, Spencer seems to have a strong self-destructive streak that typifies every Cassadine male with the possible exception of Victor. And maybe Stefan. I'm kind of surprised that Laura hasn't fully recognized this and done more to address Spencer on his behavior. Otherwise, it looks like he'll be spending a lot more tine with Uncle Cyrus.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

We here in Toronto are getting today's episode while it looks like the American chanels are showing the Jan 6th hearing.  

ABC just switched to the episode. Thanks to TekSavvy, I have access to both feeds.

Today's episode:

Joss:  "I can't leave now, not when everybody that I care about needs me." Carly: "I love how brave protective you are of others but you gotta start looking out for yourself.." "...Cam needs me..."  Thanks you two, I needed the laugh.

And at least Joss  and Carly remembered that Cam is her boyfriend although Carly's point wcas that to wait longer to speak to him would make it harder for Joss, not that it's unfair to Cameron

Did Olivia pay for those muffins that she sent over from the Metro Court (since we know that Carly doesn't cook) or does she expect Nina to help bear the cost?

Michael is such a snot to dismiss the OB doc when she was starting the appointment, but at least he can pay the cancellation charge out of pocket.

Hard to believe that Willow is just starting her second trimester when she's got a basketball under that gown. Maybe the doctor should be concerned.

Oh Nik you had such possibilities a year ago. You are such a fool now.

Oh thank goodness Drew isn't buying the firefighter's story at face value. Maybe he does have two brain cells to rub together. Also good fake point that she wants her medical records -- if I was told that my mother was an addict I'd be worried that those genes had been passed on.

If Carly hates Sonny so much, why is she having lunch at a pub that Sonny used to own and is run by a friend of his?

Nice to see Phyllis again. Is it too much to hope that she'll push the 'Nina is Willow's mother' reveal?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Elizabeth is one of the few people who can call Nik on his ish, and I really wish the show would have her use it more often instead of having him manipulate her into doing his bidding. And even Scott could get her immunity for her participation in the Esmé imprisonment if she tells all, but of course no one mentions that.

7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Carly's point wcas that to wait longer to speak to him would make it harder for Joss, not that it's unfair to Cameron

That made me laugh—it was so totally in character for Carly to be thinking about her side of things only. And how would she know if Dex could handle himself in Sonny's employ? She barely knows the guy. It's not as if Jason didn't get shot once or twice. 

It's logical to involve Alexis in the search for Willow's birth parents, but I wish it were more of a partnership between Drewfus and Alexis instead of her doing him a favor. I also wonder what avenues of research an investigative reporter has that are so different from what Drew has.

Willow's regrets about not knowing her birth mother are a bit rich coming from someone who refuses to tell her son anything about his birth mother as well as keeping his birth mother's mother away from said son. I had a few moments of empathy for her at the beginning of her list of things she'll never know, and I then I remembered how her hypocrisy when it comes to the idiot child knows no bounds.

Brook Lynn, you torpedoed Chase's chance to be reinstated on the PCPD: Are you really shocked he wants nothing to do with you at the moment? Good grief.

Michael and Willow are having a girl, which means the odds of the baby becoming a tock have gotten exponentially higher. And hey, Willow, part of that "fight" (I hate that imagery and refuse to use it with my cancer, but it's every patient's choice) to survive is telling people so they can support you. Ugh.

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I also wonder what avenues of research an investigative reporter has that are so different from what Drew has.

Since Aurora presumably has investigative reporters on staff, I'd say the difference is that Drew isn't active much and waits for others to do the work for him.

Willow's regrets about not knowing her birth mother are a bit rich coming from someone who refuses to tell her son anything about his birth mother as well as keeping his birth mother's mother away from said son.

Good point. She mourns not knowing her own birth mother, while trying to erase Wylie's birth mother from his existence. Michael of course, doesn't get the irony hypocrisy.

part of that "fight" (I hate that imagery and refuse to use it with my cancer

I hate that imagery too. I know of no one who, upon learning that they have cancer, says "Okay, I'm going to give up now." Doctors now talk about cancer being a chronic condition that you learn to live with.

Why do you think that the baby being a girl increases it's chances of being a tock? I have no wish for Smuggerson's to have another child but the last baby on the show, Liam, was a tock.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Why do you think that the baby being a girl increases it's chances of being a tock? I have no wish for Smuggerson's to have another child but the last baby on the show, Liam, was a tock.

Girl children are historically less valued this show, and given that there are already two young Corinthos daughters, a third one feels especially dispensable.

(In a recent article in the NYT I learned that in Ireland the world "child" can specifically means "girl," as in "are you having a boy or a child?" as the writer was asked not too long ago. It seems to be a term from a certain era and possibly location.)

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
57 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

part of that "fight" (I hate that imagery and refuse to use it with my cancer,

28 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I hate that imagery too. I know of no one who, upon learning that they have cancer, says "Okay, I'm going to give up now."

I LOATHE it. And it gives me BLACKOUT RAGE whenever I rewatch Original Law & Order's Season Five Premiere "Second Opinion" because so, so, so many women/breast cancer patients that were questioned about the HACK/OilSalesWoman Haas, would rather DIE, then have life saving surgery. Of course as @dubbel zout states, it's a patient's choice, but the patronizing, condescending way diagnosis was described infuriated me. Is that how it was in the 90s? I don't recall my Nani's (grandma) doctor being that way with her (and this was in the late 80s). What's surprising is that these women were still alive. But, PLOT!Point! and all that.

I just want to BitchSlap! Willow. I suspect my personal experiences are clouding my judgment.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Hard to believe that Willow is just starting her second trimester when she's got a basketball under that gown.

The pregnancy pillow just wasn't sitting right and looked weird. It doesn't help that they don't also stuff her bra so looks so unnatural. (same with Esme). And of course too big for how many weeks prego  she is.  GH so cheep I think they only have one size of prego pillow.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

BREAKING NEWS: Marcus Coloma OUT as General Hospital's Nikolas

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2022/12/19/marcus-coloma-out-at-general-hospital

Who knows if TC will ultimately come back, but I was thinking the other day about how everyone used to reference Nicolas' beautiful manners. That's not really part of his MO anymore, which is one of those examples of how the actor influences the writing. MC was more thuggish in his acting choices, whereas TC (at his best) had that classic Cassadine balance of nobility and menace.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I’m a Nava fan and one of the few people who didn’t have a problem with Marcus as Nikolas. I thought he had great chemistry with Maura and I will miss that. Now having said that, it’s always felt like they only brought Nikolas back to be a love interest for Ava. As much as I love nava, Nikolas is a legacy character and has a 25 year history with the show. Over the past 3 years he should of always been interacting with Laura, Elizabeth, and Alexis on a regular basis while having story with and without Ava. The writers have also decided to make Nikolas their personal punching bag and have written him into too many corners over the years. My biggest problem with nava is that the writers haven’t given them very many happy moments. It’s obstacle after obstacle thrown at them and it gets tiring to watch when there isn’t any balance.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

MC was more thuggish in his acting choices, whereas TC (at his best) had that classic Cassadine balance of nobility and menace.

Fascinating coincidence - the other day after Nic's faux "reveal" about Elizabeth, part of Ava's response included "the two of you rutting like pigs." That was the exact same line Lucky used years ago when he discovered Nic's real affair with Elizabeth. Wonder if that dialog was written by the same scribe, or just a fun call-back?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 4

Joss: "You want me to leave Port Charles?"

... Do we all get a vote?

Did not hate the show opening on Chase's torso. It almost made up for all the Carly, Joss, Michael, Willow, and Drew that was going on throughout the rest of it.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, Steph J said:

Did not hate the show opening on Chase's torso. It almost made up for all the Carly, Joss, Michael, Willow, and Drew that was going on throughout the rest of it.

I failed at ‘Name That Torso’ because I thought it was Drew. 😆 

• LOL 6

With MC walking out instead of filming his last scenes, I wonder if they’ll tap Adam to step in until they can figure out what to do. 

I am disappointed that this happened in the middle of the Hooker storyline and Esme’s pregnancy. I feel like there are so many storylines still hanging out there - Hayden, for instance - and I don’t see them wrapping it up. Or, in this case of Esme and the Hooker, they’ll just rush a crappy ending that doesn’t make sense just to write Nik off quickly.

Re: Willow’s cancer. What doesn’t make sense to me is that finding a bone marrow donor requires people knowing she needs a transplant. Bone marrow drives don’t just materialize out of thin air. They take time and planning. She should be asking everyone she knows to get tested. By not telling people, she is not only robbing herself of support, she is actively hurting her chances of survival - for a second time.

• Like 12
4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I failed at ‘Name That Torso’ because I thought it was Drew. 😆 

I though it was Dex.

4 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Or, in this case of Esme and the Hooker, they’ll just rush a crappy ending that doesn’t make sense just to write Nik off quickly.

Esme will have a premee baby in the attic and Nik will take it off to raise by himself on Cassadine  Island. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Fascinating coincidence - the other day after Nic's faux "reveal" about Elizabeth, part of Ava's response included "the two of you rutting like pigs." That was the exact same line Lucky used years ago when he discovered Nic's real affair with Elizabeth. Wonder if that dialog was written by the same scribe, or just a fun call-back?

No. Lucky said "rutting like animals" or farm animals. He never said pigs. But it's the same sentiment.

• Like 3

Willow: "I'm sad because now I'll never get to know my birth mother and know if I'm anything like her."

Also Willow: "Wiley cannot know that I am not his birth mother or how any association with a member of his birth mother's family."

Hi, hypocrite!

Also, stellar reason to be finding out the sex, re Carly is waiting to know.  Tell me you have a controlling faux mother-in-law without telling me.

I hate them.

Glad Dr. Phil didn't believe the EMT's story--and happy he involved Alexis.  Now here comes Carly barreling in to throw another wrench in it.  Truly, the most awful person in the world. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 3
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Willow: "I'm sad because now I'll never get to know my birth mother and know if I'm anything like her."

Also Willow: "Wiley cannot know that I am not his birth mother or how any association with a member of his birth mother's family."

Hi, hypocrite!

We don't know what Willow and Michael are telling Wiley about Nelle but they were working with a child psychologist regarding this.

Also, Willow and Michael reached out to Nina first so that she could meet Wiley as her grandmother before it went all to heck. And I don't see any of Nelle's family clamoring to have a relationship with him. Looking at you Liesl or Britt. Or Maxie with James.

24 minutes ago, nilyank said:

We don't know what Willow and Michael are telling Wiley about Nelle but they were working with a child psychologist regarding this.

They've said they'll deal with it when Wiley "is ready" to hear about her, which is likely years away given how the dolts do their vest to discourage anyone talking about Nelle within his earshot.

25 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I don't see any of Nelle's family clamoring to have a relationship with him. Looking at you Liesl or Britt. Or Maxie with James.

The Qs don't have much interaction with any of those people anyway. And I'm sure they're afraid the dreaded N word would be mentioned. The dolts keep that idiot child wrapped in cotton.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

And I don't see any of Nelle's family clamoring to have a relationship with him. Looking at you Liesl or Britt. Or Maxie with James.

I personally blame the writers for that because they tend to forget or not care about the familial relationships until someone needs a body part.

ETA: The board looks nice btw. Let's not bring back that ad that cuts the page in half and sent the last reply to the thread vanish somewhere down the page.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

Also, Willow and Michael reached out to Nina first so that she could meet Wiley as her grandmother before it went all to heck. And I don't see any of Nelle's family clamoring to have a relationship with him.

Except.....Nina is Nelle's family. She's her mother. Was her mother if you want to get technical, but I don't get the logic in 'well, Liesl and Britt aren't involved, so the situation can stay like it is.'

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Like 6

Willow and Michael decided that they did not want Wylie to know of Nelle's existence and that she was his birth mother until he was 18. (No competent child psychologist told them that that was a good idea.) Nina telling Wylie that she is his grandmother was what started the whole anti-Nina thing.

What reason would Britt or Leisl give to have a relationship with Wylie? They cannot claim kinship with him since no one is allowed to speak of Nelle and they are not friends with Carly or Michael. Maxie is friends with they but I'd be surprised if she worked out that James is Wylie's second cousin.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Wow - that's quite a memory you have there! Color me impressed.

Those were some powerful scenes back then. What I remembered and enjoying seeing was Lucky's look of utter disgust as he watched Nik and Elizabeth boinking. Jonathan did such a good job with that because he expressed how I felt about the whole story line.

Now that Nik got a total pass from him, pisses me off to this day. But Lucky's fantasies of blowing Nik away was Unintentional Comedy Gold, because Nik "flying back" was so utterly cheesy and hilarious.

Here are the scenes. I hate the "cheating slut" lines, but the "drunk! sober! Sober! Drunk! Who CARRRES!!!" I remember us all talking about that. Jonathan was just amazing.

At the 8:48 minute mark and it was "rutting like farm animals" and I HATE the SHEBEAST was there to hear him say it.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Doesn’t Drew own Aurora? He doesn’t have his own investigative reporters that he can ask for help? I do like how incompetent they’re making him look but it’s funny that Michael and Willow are using him as their sole means of help instead of an actual PI or a cop. It’s not like Michael doesn’t know an abundance of them.

Also, why did they have Drew say he’s teaming up with Carly on this when she isn’t even fake investigating and Drew seems to be doing everything without her? Not like she would be of any valuable help in a real investigation but it’s weird that they bothered to mention that at all. Carly is nosy as hell so she would ask for constant updates on the status regardless and could still attempt to sabotage things either way. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Also, why did they have Drew say he’s teaming up with Carly on this when she isn’t even fake investigating and Drew seems to be doing everything without her? Not like she would be of any valuable help in a real investigation but it’s weird that they bothered to mention that at all. Carly is nosy as hell so she would ask for constant updates on the status regardless and could still attempt to sabotage things either way. 

I think that Carly's "help" is limited to him feeding her information so that she can sabotage his investigation. 

But you'd think that he'd want to ask Phyllis some questions seeing as he had that flashback of Carly telling him that Harmony told her that Nina is Willow's mother. Phyllis standing right there, talking about how she worked with Harmony who called herself Lorraine back in the day.

I don't know, Drew. Ask the woman to pull up a chair and tell you all about her time at the clinic taking care of Nina and interacting with her sociopath mother and Harmony.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Doesn’t Drew own Aurora? He doesn’t have his own investigative reporters that he can ask for help?

When he first offered to help, that was his selling point: "I'll put my best investigative reporters on it."  They did find EMT woman, so there's that, I guess.  Better than Michael and Willow sitting around googling "how do I find my mother if she was part of a cult and gave me away at birth."

10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't know, Drew. Ask the woman to pull up a chair and tell you all about her time at the clinic taking care of Nina and interacting with her sociopath mother and Harmony.

LOL.  Phyllis practically wearing a "ask me to help" nametag and Drew's like "oh, interesting--so anyway, what were the specials today?"

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
37 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Better than Michael and Willow sitting around googling "how do I find my mother if she was part of a cult and gave me away at birth."

I think that was Drewfus's first step, LOL.

38 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:
47 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

LOL.  Phyllis practically wearing a "ask me to help" nametag and Drew's like "oh, interesting--so anyway, what were the specials today?"

This whole business is so stupid, so TFGH.

• Like 2

Wouldn't most somewhat competent private investigators follow the money: e.g. look at Harmony's work history and see if she has ever received any large/suspicious dollars around the year before/after Willow was born. Harmony was also married, so maybe follow up with people who may have also know Willow's dad.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1