Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

"I'm here now, so get blinkin'!" Hee. Whoever is writing Ava these days is having a blast.

Best line of the day and MW delivered it perfectly.  I literally laughed out loud.

So extensive talk about The Hook's letter indicating he's got family he cares about and then cut to Rory discussing his family that he cares about.  I'd say it's just a red herring, but with Rory a beige goldfish is probably more apt.

I love Marty and MK seems like he's having a great time playing him.  More of that please.

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

i am really not enjoying Alley Mills’ take as Heather. I remember when Robin Matson’s Heather was after Joe (as in Kelly) and she was pretty sane. Meaning not this whack job of recent years. And Mills’s performance as her more loony toons crazy. And that wasn’t Heather.

But Heather HAS been nuts for years now, even with RM was playing her. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

But Heather HAS been nuts for years now, even with RM was playing her. 

Sigh. I know. But Alley as Heather has the loons and birds circling over her head. It’s too much. Plus, she looks too much like Laura Wright for me to see her as Heather.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Thanks.

Honestly, I always forget Sam is a Cassadine.

She is the least interesting of all the Cassadines. Even dumb dumb Nik is sometimes entertaining with his inability to do anything except sleep with whatever woman is in front of him. 

All the discussion of who Ace is related to…I know we just had Sasha lose her baby but I really don’t want this kid to be born. 

Rory creeps me out. I hope he’s Hook. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, racked said:

All the discussion of who Ace is related to…I know we just had Sasha lose her baby but I really don’t want this kid to be born

This kid is way more entertaining than the Millow baby. If we have to have a tock, let it be that one.

Of course if Willow survived and the baby didn't,  they'd never forgive Nina. Which would be a drag but the Cassadine family drama is a much better train wreck.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

When it was announced that Ally Mills was joining the cast I decided that she would be playing Esme's letter writing former nanny and she would be a good candidate to be

The Hook.Oh, well. Recent dialogues have emphasized how nice and decent Rory is so, okay, I guess he's The Hook, again. Or maybe he'll get Hooked. But then Trina will have to feel guilty and possibly endlessly grieve like Joss did for Oscar. No thanks.

Was Nikolas always this stupid?  I don't remember Tyler Christopher's Nik being so intellect challenged. It's bothersome that he is always the most clueless person in any room he's  in. Current example: Why is he hiding Esme in a tower when Windemere sits atop a complex of underground tunnels and rooms that would better serve as detaining areas for Esme.TPTB could 're-purpose Horse Boy's set for an Esme encampment.

I vote that Olivia be The Hook's next victim.

I'm glad Chase dumped BrookLynn. He and Sasha could make a good couple eventually. She deserves a break.

Yay, more Martin and Cyrus

I'm surprised to admit that I'm no longer fast forwarding all. Joss scenes, only the ones with Carly.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

They very rarely play up the connection that the Davis coven have to that side of the family.  Just like now that julian's dead, they very rarely play up Sam's Jerome side of the family.  

They make the attempt with Alexis but she’s barely on the show right now. Her daughters, yeah IA with, but since I don’t care for Sam and Kristina and Molly are glorified guest stars, I don’t mind it. They don’t give off the same vibe the other Cassadines do anyway. Maybe Alexis works better in that regard because we know she grew up on the island and saw all of her interactions with Stefan, Helena, and Nikolas her first few years on the show. I feel like she’s darker and more self destructive than they are.  

• Love 2

I miss the devious, plotting side of the Cassadines. Victor is the only one left in any way like the old ones. Alexis is smart and has her own demons but Nik, Sam and Molly can be as dumb as a box of rocks and Kristina only comes on to be Sonny's daughter.  Spencer is pretty bad too.

Ava is the closest  thing to a complex old timey Cassadine and she's only one by marriage

• Like 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, tessaray said:

This kid is way more entertaining than the Millow baby. If we have to have a tock, let it be that one.

Of course if Willow survived and the baby didn't,  they'd never forgive Nina. Which would be a drag but the Cassadine family drama is a much better train wreck.

I’m resigned to that kid making it - no way Michael doesn’t get a second kid to obsess over and try to keep Nina away from. 

19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I miss the devious, plotting side of the Cassadines. Victor is the only one left in any way like the old ones. Alexis is smart and has her own demons but Nik, Sam and Molly can be as dumb as a box of rocks and Kristina only comes on to be Sonny's daughter.  Spencer is pretty bad too.

Ava is the closest  thing to a complex old timey Cassadine and she's only one by marriage

Spencer has potential, and I’ve really enjoyed his scenes with Cyrus. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know if it's temporary or what, but I no longer have onDemand, so I can't watch.  I was just getting into it again in the last couple of months, too.  Oh, well.

If you can get an OTA signal, a basic antenna and one of those cheap dvr boxes from Walmart/Amazon could get you back watching. It's not fancy, more vcr-like, but it works. 

I do have Hulu as backup but my cordcutting setup works 95% of the time. 

• Hugs 1
2 hours ago, racked said:

Spencer has potential, and I’ve really enjoyed his scenes with Cyrus. 

Spencer has potential, but they also wanna pair him with Trina who is a very principled young woman, so I don't know if the writers wanna go there with him just yet. 

But the scenes with Cyrus were definitely a highlight. That whole trio of Spencer/Victor/Cyrus was pretty great this week.

• Love 10

I really enjoyed Anna/Martin/Valentin too and Ava with her blinking comments, but there are SO many BAD actors on, I’m having trouble getting into scenes.

The characters Nick, Michael, Rory, Dex, Cody, Jordan, Trina (sorry, but the actress is not good in this role and working with a dishrag doesn’t help) are all different kinds of terrible. They may have been good in other roles, but not the one they play now.

On the other hand, good actors like Alley Mills and Jon Lindstrom and Michael Easton / Rebecca Herbst / Avery Pohl are playing scenes I would rather not watch.

The Heather/Ryan sexy times, just NO. 😝

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Now that I've seen Ryan and "Hazel" together, it seems like a good match."Heaven isn't your final destination. Or mine."

Rory is too good to be true. Way too good. But I can't believe that he's important enough for Mac to call him in to work on his time off.

I'm starting to like Sonny around Nina but when it's mob business MB goes all tough buy and it's not believable at all. Or entertaining.

Shut up Joss. You don't get to go to Sonny's and dump on Nina. You're awful to dump on Sonny for not being there for Donna when you're the one picking up Donna and not Carly.

Didn't Michael pay Dex off? Why is he still working for Sonny?

Finn laser focused on Esme and disregarding Elizabeth is not a good look.

Bad continuity: Victor pays the check at the restaurant but the table is still set with empty place settings as it was waiting for customers to arrive;

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Trina (sorry, but the actress is not good in this role and working with a dishrag doesn’t help)

It sure doesn't. I'm still not sold on Tabyana Ali in general.

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Shut up Joss. You don't get to go to Sonny's and dump on Nina. You're awful to dump on Sonny for not being there for Donna when you're the one picking up Donna and not Carly.

I can't with Joss's obnoxious hypocrisy and smugness. UGH.

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Didn't Michael pay Dex off? Why is he still working for Sonny?

Yes, but Dex still has some score to settle with Sonny. I DON'T CARE. It's another galactically boring story that should be moving along a lot faster than it is.

• Love 10

Joss judging Sonny for not being there when she came over to pick Donna up was ironic considering her jobless mother sent her to do it for her. The kid’s raised by the nanny anyway. Joss is clearly going to keep cheating and stringing Cam along for eternity until he finally wises up and dumps her. I bet she’ll even play victim going by today 

• Love 8

Watching Ryan and Heather was kind of riveting. And as much as I like RM, I don't think her Heather's brand of batshit would've worked as well in those scenes. 

I guess they ramped up Rory falling in love with Trina, buying her some American passing French perfume and making declarations of love was to try to create some kind of a triangle even though Trina did not look all that into the whole thing. But since she's still pissed with Spencer, then I guess she will suck it up and put up with Rory. Watching their scenes yesterday and today made me very uncomfortable. 

Way to project, Joss. Your lying, cheating, pompous ass deserves a ride straight to hell. Also the whole knock on Nina about Pilar having cooked for Donna was so incredibly stupid. When did Carly ever cook for her children. The only thing she can make is frozen pizza and chips, but if that passes for cooking, then okay. Sonny was the cook in that couple.

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2

I know I shouldn't ask but since Pilar is Donna's nanny and not Sonny's housekeeper, why couldn't she take Donna home since Carly is too busy to pick her up? (So that Joss can run into Nina and project all over her, of course. Is it possible that a child of Carly is getting some self-awareness?)

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

Oh how awful is that penthouse of Sonny's as a place to celebrate Christmas in. Or to live in at all, really. The brown! The black! The half-faces on sticks! It depresses me just to contemplate Nina and Donna trying to counter that décor with any amount of Christmas decoration. Actually, Nina should have an intervention to get Sonny to redecorate; it might cheer him up too so that he doesn't relapse into his off-putting, un-Mikelike mob boss mode.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Way to project, Joss. Your lying, cheating, pompous ass deserves a ride straight to hell. Also the whole knock on Nina about Pilar having cooked for Donna was so incredibly stupid. When did Carly ever cook for her children.

She's such an asshole (like mother, like daughter).  And, LMAO, that she totally told on herself and now Nina knows she's a fucking cheater, so that self-righteous perch of hers just got very wobbly.

So Heather/Hazel is Esme's mom.  I don't hate it.  But, yikes, that girl really got the short end of the stick with genes.  Between that and the Cassadine side, Ace is doomed.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Watching Ryan and Heather was kind of riveting. And as much as I like RM, I don't think her Heather's brand of batshit would've worked as well in those scenes. 

2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

So Heather/Hazel is Esme's mom.  I don't hate it.  But, yikes, that girl really got the short end of the stick with genes.  Between that and the Cassadine side, Ace is doomed.

I wasn’t sure initially, but I started to dig their interaction as the scenes went on. Heather might be biting off more than she can chew with Ryan and putting herself in danger given he’s a serial killer and all, but she’s unpredictable and has also killed

I keep laughing when someone visits Heather and the guards leave them alone. She’s a killer and unbalanced, why are you leaving people alone with her?

• Love 2

Corvino, you are absolutely right about Sonny's penthouse decor. It looks like  a nightmare and if I were a child I'd be afraid to spend time there.

Joss is still ultra-obnoxious.

Ally Mills is giving it all she's got as Heather.

• Applause 4
18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm starting to like Sonny around Nina but when it's mob business MB goes all tough buy and it's not believable at all. Or entertaining.

Although others have talked about it before, MB's looking offstage at cue cards instead of the person he's supposed to be talking to onstage is getting so bad that even I'm noticing it, and it's taking me out of most of his scenes, Nina or no Nina. 

10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I keep laughing when someone visits Heather and the guards leave them alone. She’s a killer and unbalanced, why are you leaving people alone with her?

The other day when the guard said, "She's dangerous, so we're going to lock you in the room with her," I was, "Say wha-a-at???" 

Edited by rur
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

So Heather/Hazel is Esme's mom.  I don't hate it.

I do. Heather/Hazel makes more sense than Felicia, don't get me wrong, but as always, it gives me rage blackouts how this fakakta show has to make EVERYONE related to at least one person, if not more. Ryan as Esmé's father gives her plenty of inherited nuttiness; we don't need Heather's added in.

Color me well and truly shocked if Dex is related to no one. He'd be nearly the only newbie not to be, maybe along with the human anesthetic that is Rory.

• Applause 4
  • Love 2

TA as Trina is okay opposite Ava and Spencer. When she’s with boring Rory, it really highlights her limitations as an actress. And he’s just awful. They’re really highlighting that he’s a nerd and not very cultured, and now he’s giving me obsessive incel vibes. I’m back to thinking he’s the Hook. I hope it’s not a fake-out because I want all of these stories wrapped up. 

I will take more Victor, Spencer, and Cyrus, though! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I recall the number of times Liz called out Franco for keeping something from her, calling it lying.  I guess it's OK when she does it. 

Can't recall if Finn ever slept with her, I think not?  So he would think the pregnancy he suspects was to someone else?  

Another mystery child to Heather!  LOL two babies born offscreen.  Good thing she was not on the show all those years.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I do. Heather/Hazel makes more sense than Felicia, don't get me wrong, but as always, it gives me rage blackouts how this fakakta show has to make EVERYONE related to at least one person, if not more. Ryan as Esmé's father gives her plenty of inherited nuttiness; we don't need Heather's added in.

Color me well and truly shocked if Dex is related to no one. He'd be nearly the only newbie not to be, maybe along with the human anesthetic that is Rory.

SERIOUSLY. It was bad enough making her not just Franco’s mother, but also Scotty’s child. And then the whole Drew is a Quartetmain!🤬🤬 

And not to be mean, but that whole scene with Heather feeling Ryan up gave me the heebie jeebies. For reasons I can’t post. It was gross. I fully expected her to grab his balls, but he spoke.

And don’t get me started on how neither Frank or any of the writers don’t KNOW how cops’ shifts and schedules work.

Just now, Kim0820 said:

I recall the number of times Liz called out Franco for keeping something from her, calling it lying.  I guess it's OK when she does it. 

Can't recall if Finn ever slept with her, I think not?  So he would think the pregnancy he suspects was to someone else?  

Another mystery child to Heather!  LOL two babies born offscreen.  Good thing she was not on the show all those years.  

And Becky who is always very good, was just awful in those scenes. Her reactions and expressions? Also bad directing.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

When she’s with boring Rory, it really highlights her limitations as an actress. And he’s just awful. They’re really highlighting that he’s a nerd and not very cultured, and now he’s giving me obsessive incel vibes.

He is. The scenes with Trina made me uncomfortable. I'm also not into the whole I might end up falling in love if I try hard enough.

I really hate that they're doing with Rory as a nerdish character. I feel like him being an absolute bore has less to do with the actor and more to do with the character. There's nothing wrong with the things he enjoys doing. He likes what he likes, but the show is about to red flag this as something bad, just like being a good guy is something bad and boring, because women for some reason are wired to go all heart eyes at the bad boys and are possessed with the I can fix him gene. 

It's not even that Spencer is better. But he is dark and brooding and walking around like a wounded animal. That's like sending the bat signal or something. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

You put your finger on what bothers me about Rory, @YaddaYadda. I hate that they're making Trina's love of gallery/museum art some mark of sophistication and his love of comic books a mark of being some sort of oaf who simply doesn't know any better. There are some latent class issues that really rub me the wrong way.

I also think the actor is a victim of the show not knowing what it wants to do with Rory, so the actor has to walk a fine line so he doesn't give something away. It comes across as superbland. 

And then there's Spencer, the poor little misunderstood rich boy, with all of his connections and family standing. Spencer is a turd. I am deeply uninterested in Trina having to deal with all of his ish and try to make him a better person. Have Spencer do the heavy lifting himself.

ETA: It seems more and more possible that Rory is indeed the Hooker, which makes me sigh and laugh at the same time. Sigh because they're going to Diego him to (seemingly decent guy turns out to be something of a monster, for no reason except the show needs to finish a dumb story, and someone has to pay the price), and it shows yet again how inept the PCPD is. Maybe look into the hiring process a bit more closely, huh, Jordan?

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

He is. The scenes with Trina made me uncomfortable. I'm also not into the whole I might end up falling in love if I try hard enough.

I really hate that they're doing with Rory as a nerdish character. I feel like him being an absolute bore has less to do with the actor and more to do with the character. There's nothing wrong with the things he enjoys doing. He likes what he likes, but the show is about to red flag this as something bad, just like being a good guy is something bad and boring, because women for some reason are wired to go all heart eyes at the bad boys and are possessed with the I can fix him gene. 

It's not even that Spencer is better. But he is dark and brooding and walking around like a wounded animal. That's like sending the bat signal or something. 

Yeah, Chavez being tall, handsome, dark and broody is the thing.  The actor is compelling, how could Rory stand a chance?  And I actually love all the things Rory loves, but guess what?  I'd still rather sleep with Spencer.  So shallow.  

• Wink 2
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, CeChase said:

Yeah, Chavez being tall, handsome, dark and broody is the thing.  The actor is compelling, how could Rory stand a chance?  And I actually love all the things Rory loves, but guess what?  I'd still rather sleep with Spencer.  So shallow.  

And I love all the things Rory enjoys too. He is comes off as very nice and duty-minded when it comes to his job. He is everything Spencer is not. Rory isn't rich, he has a large family that he gets along with. He works and earns his own money. There is nothing wrong with that, but the character is sinfully boring. And frankly, unless the museum is a museum of History, or there's a showing of old timey paintings or sculptures, you won't catch me anywhere near modern art, because those cue cards that explain what the artist's intent was are incredibly condescending and pretentious, which is exactly how Trina and Spencer come off when they talk about art.

But as as shallow person, so table for two, I'm sure I'd be more into Spencer than Rory. Rory is the cure for insomnia. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It seems more and more possible that Rory is indeed the Hooker, which makes me sigh and laugh at the same time. Sigh because they're going to Diego him to (seemingly decent guy turns out to be something of a monster, for no reason except the show needs to finish a dumb story, and someone has to pay the price), and it shows yet again how inept the PCPD is. Maybe look into the hiring process a bit more closely, huh, Jordan?

I'm trying to figure out what his reasoning will be.  Being the only one 'there' for Trina by getting rid of others who care about her?  But then what did the letter about family have to do with it?   Is there going to be some bizarre connection?  Oh, I know--maybe he's really Taggert's son and knows (for reasons) that Trina is not, and is bitter because she got all his father's attention, so now to punish her he's trying to off all the people close to her.  Does this make sense?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  And I just thought of it in four seconds, so...have at it writers.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I’m blanking or maybe it’s my own bias/love for Jonathan Jackson, but was Lucky the last nice guy to win and root for in a relationship? I mean we got Lucky and Elizabeth-a wonderfully sweet and poignant love story, that went through its rough patches, but still a couple to root for. Even with Fake!Lucky(for me) their love was strong through the Monkey virus until Guzasshole or whoever thought to make them living on the edge of poverty, and where Lucky no longer had health benefits (BULLSHIT), and turn him into some Neanderthal, and drug addled cheating asshole. Just to revisit Jaysus and Elizabeth that didn’t happen during Yeller McYellerson’s tenure.

Yes, the hypocrite in me loved what was happening after that ridiculous recast of Lucky with a mullet.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
26 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m blanking or maybe it’s my own bias/love for Jonathan Jackson, but was Lucky the last nice guy to win and root for in a relationship?

Tbh I think that only lasted because Lucky “died” and they were doing the bad boy story with Emily. Lucky never had any competition in the teen years. The show typically treats their true good guys as the designated loser, or the ones that women find too boring to stay with, at least since I’ve been watching. They only seem to get paired up long term if the show isn’t interested in writing for pairing or the characters. 

11 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Lucky never had any competition in the teen years. The show typically treats their true good guys as the designated loser, or the ones that women find too boring to stay with, at least since I’ve been watching.

Wellll,  Nikolas was his competition for Sarah. And Elizabeth had to watch Lucky pant after her. Then after her rape, he helped her to heal and fell in love with her. THEN, Nik got shot, and Sarah decided to turn to Lucky after Nik dumped her. But by then, he was falling in love with Elizabeth.

• Like 1

I’ve truly tried to like this young woman who’s now playing Trina but just cannot do it. The past Trina was so real and believable. And this “relationship” with Rory is mind numbing.ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. I do hope Rory is the Hooker, gets killed, Trina is so distressed that she moves across the country to a new university.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

The show typically treats their true good guys as the designated loser, or the ones that women find too boring to stay with,

Current example: Cameron. I know some of this is due to William Lipton being recurring, but I'm pretty sure Cam would have been sacrificed for Joss and Dex (zzzzz) regardless. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Current example: Cameron. I know some of this is due to William Lipton being recurring, but I'm pretty sure Cam would have been sacrificed for Joss and Dex (zzzzz) regardless. 

Yeah, I'm wondering if once Joss officially dumps him if they'll just have Cam go to Stanford or he'll be regulated to the closet they keep Jackie Zeman in and only appear when someone's craving a BLT from Kelly's and a few words of wisdom.

On 12/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

It cracks me up that Cyrus has a Bible verse for every occasion.

It makes sense, though. The way JK plays Cyrus, it's clear that the character spends a lot of his available time reading, explaining him having at least one Scripture in his holster at all times.

On 12/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

Anna hiding out in Ireland with Tiffany isn't exactly going off the grid. Anyone who knows Anna's history could eventually figure that out.

Agreed. Back in the day Anna frequently mentioned Sean Donnelly as her mentor. Speaking of which, this S/L would be a perfect occasion to loop in Sean's daughter, Anna's namesake.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Yeah, I'm wondering if once Joss officially dumps him if they'll just have Cam go to Stanford or he'll be regulated to the closet they keep Jackie Zeman in and only appear when someone's craving a BLT from Kelly's and a few words of wisdom.

Cam should go to Stanford. I hated that Cam gave up his dream school of Stanford where he was offered a free ride only so he could attend PCU and be the assistant manager at Kellys.

• Like 1
  • Love 6