Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I remember reading that it might behoove the remaining soaps to basically go "tela-novella" and be on for 8 weeeks+, take a break, come back for another 8 weeks, a

Isn't that what Port Charles ended up doing to a certain extent? I didn't watch it regularly, but I have vague memories of ads for the next "chapter." Was that a last-gasp effort to stay on the air? 

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Isn't that what Port Charles ended up doing to a certain extent? I didn't watch it regularly, but I have vague memories of ads for the next "chapter." Was that a last-gasp effort to stay on the air? 

I honestly don't remember - I think so?

• Useful 1

This show sure knows how to undercut its own stories and make sure there are no dramatic stakes to anything. Carly losing the MetroCourt might actually work as a consequence if people weren't immediately offering to save her from her own consequences. Heaven forbid the writers let Nina own it that she bought the MetroCourt for any other reason at all but because she wanted to give Carly a peace offering.

• Applause 2
  • Love 11

Oh I die. 

Carly - puts up the hotel for sale because she is a dipstick and didn't listen to anyone. Several people offered to loan her the money, or buy it back for her, and she pays the back. She says no. Nina has every right to buy the property, and Carly's first reaction is "Well, you didn't get your way with Wiley so you are gonna stick it to me + your family and take something else I love" while she is hiding the fact that Willow is Nina's daughter? This is why i can never ever with Carly. 

Also if I were Nina after I heard that, I would have been , I was gonna give it to you, but yeah, bye Felicia. 

and just like we were saying - they had such a great idea. it woulda been soapy. and no. Nina is just like :'( I owe you, please just take the hotel. and just sits there being whipping stick for Carly because her entitled stupid family can't realize that Sonny doesn't want to be 100% mobby guy. And again in all of this Carly grandstanding again - she hid two children from Nina and shows zero remorse. this drives me insane. 

Carly is all. "you bought this so Sonny couldn't." so.... you were hoping Sonny could? you know what.. Nina should just slap the deed on Carly's desk, and walk away. this makes me more mad than Chase not getting mad at Millowtonin cheating on him. 

No Drew. Carly wouldn't have been in this mess, if it wasn't for Carly. You wouldn't be in this mess if you weren't a dipstick to ned. No. again. pitching it to Ned wasn't the problem. Not listening to Ned and treating him like a footnote was the problem. It wasn't selfish what he did. Shut up Drew. Shut Up Olivia. Shut up shut up shut up. This is driving me insane. Drew: "I didn't deserve this."  WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN TO NED FOR THE MONTH THAT S HE WAS SAYING THIS WAS NOT. GOOD. I hate these people.  But Carly is gonna make Olivia miserable so #yay. Honestly Drew is basically like, Ned didn't bend over for me so I can have my own way, and Olivia is like "yah he's such a jerk and all he and his family does is backstab each other but "i stand by my husband." FYI, that's not standing by him, you dipstick. 

I hate these people. 

Brando this is how the conversation needs to go.
"I'm a recovering addict and I can't be with you if you don't go to treatment. the end."

Gladys dropping truth bombs. Sasha's taking drugs, "why doesn't anyone believe me that i'm fine." because usually people who are fine/stressed don't take illegal drugs , you dipstick. 

Hatman always wearing his hat reminds me of Edward wearing his hat all the time before he died. I liked Edward's better. 

Now Sonny is mad at Nina for buying the hotel. (How did Sonny figure this out so fast?). Thanks Sonny. I was liking you too much. Nina. just go to Europe, eat bread and cheese and wine and ignore all these people. i was so angry i don't even get why they were kissing, but Sonny is all in with Nina. No Nina. go get some bread and cheese in France. 

Now Drew is blowing smoke up Carly's ass. 

This show pisses me off. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 8

Olivia, I find it's much easier just to ignore Carly. Life goes better that way.

What is this with that babying of Carly? Drew and Michael both told her not to get involved.  It's all on her. Five people have now offered to buy her half of the hotel back and she yelled at them all. Let her reap the consequences of her own actions.

And I hate 1. Carly constantly yelling at Nina when it was Carly who blew up her marriage. So boring. and 2. everyone blaming Ned and saying that telling him about the merger is the problem when they legally had to tell him ahead of the board meeting and it's Michael and Drew's fault for kicking him out. Thank goodness Olivia finally supported him.

Carly: "Right now I'm just feeling so lost.."  Because you're an idiot who turned down everyone who offered to help.

Well so much for Sonny/Nina. He's still Carly's at heart.

Drew, what you did was selfish. Ned was protecting himself and siding with the one person who respected him. Drew started out so promising and now he's just a waste of time.

Speaking of a waste of time: the Rory/Trina romance. They're both so low key, they fade into the background.

What is it with the men overstepping on this show? Curtis, Portia is a grown-ass woman and a doctor at work. It's none of your business about her phone call.

There are outpatient rehab therapists. Why can't Sasha go home and attend a day program?

Re Hatman:  NASEM had a workshop on first episode psychosis and one of the bits of information was that Blacks are 5 times more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia with the same symptoms. So there actually is a good scientific basis for him not having schizophrenia after all.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Drew has gotten so obnoxious and whiney. Ned’s the selfish one for not voting for this deal when you were actively pushing him out of a company that you have zero involvement in while he does? Also, for all of Carly’s claims that she would stand on her own and didn’t want help, that Sonny line makes it pretty clear to me that she would have taken the hotel back if it was gifted to her by anyone other than Nina despite her protests to the contrary. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Also, for all of Carly’s claims that she would stand on her own and didn’t want help, that Sonny line makes it pretty clear to me that she would have taken the hotel back if it was gifted to her by anyone other than Nina despite her protests to the contrary.

that was very clear to me to. like she basically was waiting for someone to BUY it and then she could be all "Oh noo. i couldn't, but if you are sure,... 

Like now i have zero satisfaction of Nina buying the hotel because Nina has no satisfaction of owning the hotel. 

• Love 6

I can't stand Carly and I can't stand Drew. They both seem to have a persecution complex.

The show needs to do something with the pacing of its storylines. Everything can't be in the building phase at the same time. We have whatever it is that Victor has been up to for almost a year, whatever Elizabeth's issues with her parents are - which have been hinted at for over a year, we have whatever health issues Willow has going on in addition to her pregnancy, we have Esme/Ryan and whatever plan they have that's being going on for absolutely ages. We shouldn't be wondering about all of this at the same time. They should be at different stages of progress, so as one is being resolved another is developing and another is partway along. Isn't that how you keep interest?

I, for one, no longer care why PC was experiencing a crazy heat wave in the middle of winter. Or care about Elizabeth's parents, or Willow, or ELQ, or Ryan and Esme - because nothing is progressing. It's all sitting in the same place.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • Love 12

Ok Dante and Cody can stop talking about summer camp ANY TIME NOW…..it’s getting embarrassing. Sam looked fantastic.

I don’t think Trina was rude about the brownies but I think Rory is boring as hell so whatever.

Carly was an idiot for leveraging her half of the hotel to begin with and she’s an idiot for not letting Olivia buy out her half until she can buy it back.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

Nina desperately needs someone—Liesl, Britt, Maxie—to tell her that no matter what she does, Carly will never consider the slate clean, so she might as well stop trying. Nina looks like an idiot. 

Drew's another one who needs to STFU about poor, poor Carly. I cannot take this story.

Sonny's annoyed at Nina because she beat him to the punch by buying Carly's half of the hotel herself. You're seeing the real, petty, infant Sonny right now, Nina. He's showing you who he is. Believe him.

Trina and Rory are a snooze.

What a disaster of a show.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

That was for story arcs, though. The show never took a break in between. The end of one arc segued into the start of the next, which premiered the following Monday. After the first year of doing that, the show went down the drain. 

I miss Port Charles. Instead of the supernatural stuff, they could've incorporated more crossovers with the mothership, GH. Oh well! 

• Useful 1

I missed the last 15 minutes, I take it I didn't miss much.

The Dex dude looks like a bobble head.

I can't even with those Carly/Nina scenes. STFU, Carly. You're keeping her dumb kid from her and her grandson twice over, so I think you're square.

I really really hope that Nina is away from PC on Crimson business and out of reach when the other shoe drops for Willow. But someone really needed to tell Nina to stop trying to make amends with Carly. It will never ever be enough for her, no matter the skeletons in Carly's closet. 

I don't even know why Olivia is married to Ned. Liv, girl, Michael and Drew backstabbed Ned first. They were going to cut him out of everything. They tossed him a bone when he whined about it. Olivia is loyal to everyone except to her husband. 

I don't care about Drew. In fact, I hate his ass.

Don't care about Brando/Sasha, though I actually like Gladys now.

• Applause 2
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I really really hope that Nina is away from PC on Crimson business and out of reach when the other shoe drops for Willow. But someone really needed to tell Nina to stop trying to make amends with Carly. It will never ever be enough for her, no matter the skeletons in Carly's closet. 

That would be lovely but you know Carly would screech and blame Nina for not bending the laws of physics and/or time to get back to PC in time.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I actually like Gladys now

Same, except when she goes on about how much money Sasha has.

3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't care about Drew. In fact, I hate his ass.

He's deadtome. What a waste of time and space he's become. 

• Love 6

Someome low key like Trina now, really does need someone like Spencer, romantically. Cause Mr "I have good vibes" Rory is not cutting it at all. He is basically wallpaper and I really fell nothing when he is with Trina.

And again, why is Spencer is the only person actively trying to help Trina? Yes his plans are dumb, but at least he's trying. These adults are getting tricked by elementsry school level hijinks.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Carly's first reaction is "Well, you didn't get your way with Wiley so you are gonna stick it to me + your family and take something else I love" while she is hiding the fact that Willow is Nina's daughter? This is why i can never ever with Carly. 

I'd actually forgotten about that. Clearly that's not enough hurt for Nina. Carly is like Kali to me, death and destruction and a garland of skulls.

55 minutes ago, Cheetara1986 said:

And again, why is Spencer is the only person actively trying to help Trina? Yes his plans are dumb, but at least he's trying. These adults are getting tricked by elementsry school level hijinks.

There were a few scenes today where Curtis is telling Portia his Big Plan to find the guy that Trina had already found who sold Esme the burner phone. The problem is that Team Curtis is really bad and slow at being PIs, even with Taggart's help. Spencer is the only one who seems to be getting anywhere.

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Liv, girl, Michael and Drew backstabbed Ned first. They were going to cut him out of everything. They tossed him a bone when he whined about it.

It's another case where we're supposed to believe what the characters are telling us rather than what we're seeing before our eyes. Almost exclusively, this is reserved for Carly and the members of her family. Are TPTB really so afraid of the Carly Corinthos stans?

• Applause 9
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

(How did Sonny figure this out so fast?

That is why he phoned Brick

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Nina desperately needs someone—Liesl, Britt, Maxie—to tell her that no matter what she does, Carly will never consider the slate clean, so she might as well stop trying.

Isn't that basically what Valentin was telling her yesterday?

It seemed to me the "Sonny being mad at Nina "was a bit of a fake out. He seemed mad then they went to commercial break. Then it seemed sort like he was more exasperated with Nina for thinking she could win Carly over...because Carly.  I just think it was a badly written scene but by the end of it I believed that Sonny was all in with Nina and not worried that he wasn't the one to rescue Carly.

ETA: yes Nina should have said what Sonny said to Michael "I offered to help, you said no, so See Ya Later!!

Also Nina kept saying she wanted to "give" the hotel to Carly, surely she really didn't mean GIVE

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's another case where we're supposed to believe what the characters are telling us rather than what we're seeing before our eyes. Almost exclusively, this is reserved for Carly and the members of her family. Are TPTB really so afraid of the Carly Corinthos stans?

It's insane. and poor ned is like. Liv they were going to leave our family (as in YOU, LEO, BLQ, AND ME) with nothing AND they don't even care about the company. Michael said so. Drew Said so. they are upset about Aurora, not the fact that ELQ could have been lost/damaged in this merger. Ned even said he believes Val when he says he cares about the company. (again. I don't know why Val needs the Q company to feel complete but whatever). I know Wally does double duty on DOOL, but good gravy I need Ned or someone #TeamActuallyNed to hear Olivia "'stand by her husband" and then rip her a new one. 

and someone needs to tell these two dipsticks they couldn't have done a blessed thing without Ned  knowing and even if you didYOU CLEARLY WOULD HAVE LOST ANYWAY, because HE STILL WOULD HAVE VOTED AGAINST YOU.  

14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'd actually forgotten about that. Clearly that's not enough hurt for Nina. Carly is like Kali to me, death and destruction and a garland of skulls.

Like... i mean even if i wanted to be team Carly here. i mean, God woman, you started this. you and Jax kept the fact that Nelle was Nina's child, and were gonna. you at no time felt/thought that this was wrong or you picked up the phone an was gonna say anything. Then you get caught and instead of being contrite an sorry and just... take the fact that Nina had every right to be mad at you, you got all upset at her. 

Then Nina did the same thing to you and she hurt you and your kids. and unlike you ALL this woman has done since has bent over backwards apologizing to you and trying to figure out ways to make things up to you. Nina, unlike you, flat out said, constantly, if she could go back in time, she would undo the entire thing. that she was wrong.  And no. you want her to lose everything and pay for keeping such a big secret. that's fair. 

and now. Carly is on her high horse, yelling at Nina after the woman bought her a freaking hotel, doesn't mention Wiley, MIchael or anything (she could have flat out no one knows i did it, you don't have to tell anyone, whose gonna believe me if I said I bought you a hotel?), and Carly is like well you are just a HUGE witholder of secrets, and you suck, while she is witholding the SAME secret that started this whole thing.

again. Nina, go to France and eat some good bread and cheese

2 minutes ago, Blackie said:

That is why he phoned Brick

ah yeah this makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Blackie said:

maybe it needs to be Lisel because Val tells her and she bought a damned hotel for Carly.

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I just think it was a badly written scene but by the end of it I believed that Sonny was all in with Nina and not worried that he wasn't the one to rescue Carly.

i just wish that if they wer gonna do them, do it without all their intimate moments happening right after a Carly interaction LOL

• Love 7

I swear to dog if I have to hear one more freakin' time that Scotty hurt poor widdle Michael on the stand IN OPEN COURT (I mean, who was there other than the judge) that Michael is violent to women and how awful an accusation that is, Imma gonna hurt someone.  That nonsense has become worse than NINE MONTHS and that was worse than PENNSYLVANIA SIDE OF THE RIVER.  Stop it show, just stop it.  Also, Michael might not be violent to women but he did punch both Scotty and that annoying reporter within a few days of each other.  

Also, Carly didn't want the hotel back because then she would no longer have any leverage or leg to stand on when she goes at Nina.  Shut your pie hole Carly.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 10

Thought I saw something in SOD about Dex being on contract now. Because of course he is. I mean, this show doesn’t have nearly enough people on it, and Sonny needs a new hitman. Plus there’s still nimrod, er, Michael’s, big plan to take down Sonny and Dex is part of that.

yes, Olivia, backstabbing is a Q tradition. But that doesn’t extend to YOU stabbing your own husband in the back. So while you gave Drew some good advice, maybe you want to look in the mirror sometime?

i truly can’t believe I LIKE Gladys these days. But she’s absolutely right. Sasha needs help. She never dealt with the loss of her baby, she just pushed aside her grief and pretended everything was great. Then she got back on pills because she couldn’t cope. Then she stopped until things got stressful at Deception, when she needed something to help her through it. Then Willow got preggers and Sasha again didn’t know how to deal with her feelings, so with the help of skeevy photographer, she pops more pills and proceeds to have a meltdown on live TV. But please do tell us again, Sasha, how you’re really just fine and only need to take more time for yourself. I get that treatment can be scary. Facing her loss can be a frightening thing. But denial isn’t just a river in Egypt and the sooner she realizes that and works to really get control of her life, the better she and her new husband will be.

the less said about Carly/Nina the better, but when Carly said ‘I’ll be gone by the end of the week,’ I really wanted Nina to turn around and say, ‘you’ll be gone by morning or I’ll have your office packed for you and your belongings sent to your home. And you’ll leave your keys and any ID a badges you may have.’ I mean, the woman just offered her a fucking hotel and she told Nina where to stick her offer Nina owes her NOTHING at this Point.

at least we were spared Millowtonin, Dante and Cody for a day. Although I do miss the 🐴.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
On 7/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, Daisy said:

i know people who have to work on Canada Day. some people just don't care. 

Pride goeth before the fall. Someone needs to slap her silly with that statement. 

Nina and he celebrated winning over team dipstick. Then Nina was all. "oh Charlotte is doing great at horseback riding!" then pointed out why s she at boarding school? Val dodged. Nina is sad about WIley. and said she owns her crap but she's tired of being the whipping stick for everything bad. Val said why don't you do something about it?

(So I think Nina bought the hotel)

that makes sense, but it sounded like he said I'll buy the hotel and then sell it to you. 

Carly may ‘love with her whole heart’, but she might not want to invest with her whole wallet.

• LOL 5

On today's episode of Rage Blackout Hospital:

- Nina, seriously, FUCK CARLY.  She flat out said she would rather "crawl thru glass" than take anything from you.  Please do throw THAT gem back in her face when she berates you for not banking half your liver/bone marrow/blood for your daughter.  Oh, you didn't know you had a living daughter?  Right, right, that's because CARLY is keeping that information from you.  It's also ironic that Carly is accusing Nina of being self-serving.  When has Carly ever done anything that didn't benefit her?  This. fucking. show.

- Shut up, Drew.  Shut up, shut up, shut up.  Ned isn't the one who "betrayed" you--at least not before you, as Olivia said, tried to freeze him out of the company he's given his life's blood, too.  No matter how many times you claim that's not true, it is.  And also, yes, you do deserve everything that's befallen you. 

-  Trina and Rory are snooze-ville. 

Things I liked: the Gladys/Sonny scene--and actually all Gladys's scenes.  I like that they're writing her more caring and less money-hungry.  Keep that up.

Olivia's dress.

And...that's about it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I actually like Gladys now.

Me too. She’s actually a competent human when she chooses to be, which is more than I can say about most of these nitwits. Plus once she decides to be on your side she’s ride or die and I dig that. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Carly is an insufferable bitch that is overflowing with her own bullshit.  Yet she is treated as the heroine star of the show by the writers.  But then, this is the show where the male hero is a cold blooded murdering mobster.

it astounds me that these characters have such a strong following.

• Applause 4
  • Love 11

Nina buying the hotel to just give away first shows she is way richer than Carly that she doesn't even care about that much.

Also I'd respect her more if instead of that she said she bought it for Crimsons office. Carly or nobody can evict her now and if the magazine goes under she still has the hotel real estate which is smarter than Drew's offer.

Drew and his insider trading can shut up. Carly and all of them  should be arrested. 

• Love 9

I feel like I could take a year long break, come back, and we would still be in the same endless stories. ...I mean, I won't, but only because they say suffering is good for the soul. : D 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I feel like I could take a year long break, come back, and we would still be in the same endless stories. ...I mean, I won't, but only because they say suffering is good for the soul. : D 

That reminds me of a time when I was at my mom’s house, watching OLTL. She never watched soaps (was always working) but must’ve watched one or two episodes with me. Years later, she walked into the living room while the show was on, and asked me if Ava was still on the show, and if he was still doing whatever he was doing. And I said yes to both lol!

• LOL 2

If the writers were competent, Dante and Cody not being able to talk about anything other than the summer they spent at camp together would indicate they had a fling and have yet to get over it.  Or they killed someone.  But we all know summer camp just means Dante and Cody really had a great time roasting weenies over the fire. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 7/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, dubbel zout said:

I know. Carly had her brief, shining moment of "Why me, God?" and now it's all "Pfft, I guess I no longer own half of the MetroCourt; time for a cocktail!" 

This should be a huge deal for Carly, and instead she's pretty quickly at peace with losing not only her livelihood but a big part of her identity? As always, the show punts on the followthrough and anything that might be watchable about the story.

She isn’t broke.  She still has all those Aurora shares.  She just needs to hold onto the, until the price goes back up.  And I’m sure sure she wasn’t living paycheck to pay check as half owner of the hotel.  Although now that Nina bought her ownership she won’t want to work there anymore.  As apart owner of a large number of Aurora shares, maybe she can get Drew to inflict her on their employees.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I can't stand Carly and I can't stand Drew. They both seem to have a persecution complex.

The show needs to do something with the pacing of its storylines. Everything can't be in the building phase at the same time. We have whatever it is that Victor has been up to for almost a year, whatever Elizabeth's issues with her parents are - which have been hinted at for over a year, we have whatever health issues Willow has going on in addition to her pregnancy, we have Esme/Ryan and whatever plan they have that's being going on for absolutely ages. We shouldn't be wondering about all of this at the same time. They should be at different stages of progress, so as one is being resolved another is developing and another is partway along. Isn't that how you keep interest?

I, for one, no longer care why PC was experiencing a crazy heat wave in the middle of winter. Or care about Elizabeth's parents, or Willow, or ELQ, or Ryan and Esme - because nothing is progressing. It's all sitting in the same place.

The heat wave?  Maybe Victor is testing a rebuilt weather control machine so he ca take over the world like Mikos planned.  That would be way better than every other storyline.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have a question.  Can someone please explain to me the point of the Drew/Michael merger of ELQ and Aurora? 

This is my understanding: I know one end result is that Carly, against Drew and Michael's advice, invested in Aurora stock (committing insider trading), only to see the merger, that no one should have yet known about, not happen and the Aurora stock drop and Carly losing her half of the MC due to taking out a loan with the MC as collateral.  End result number 2 is that Ned "betrayed" Michael and Drew.  The failure of the plan will then lead Michael to double down on his Dex plan to destroy Sonny and Nina being able to buy Carly's half of the MC and trying to give it to Carly and being denied. 

The business expert advised Drew (note that wonderful Drew and brilliant Michael were not the ones who came up with this bad plan) that Aurora should merge with ELQ and for some reason, Aurora needed to be more lucrative to be a merger match with  ELQ (stock pumping, which is illegal).  Ned didn't like the idea as he would be sidelined in the new company, as he did not have media experience, which is totally ridiculous as the new company is not just a media company and those two didn't have media experience originally.  With the merger, Valentin would have less of a percentage of the total stock and not have as much power in the new company.  This is where I get confused.  But BEFORE THE MERGER CAN EVEN HAPPEN,  they need to have a shareholders vote to oust Valentin as CEO of ELQ.  For this vote, I assume, Drew had Scout's proxy back from Valentin (I don't think this was ever made clear), thus giving the Drew/Michael group enough voting power with Ned to vote Valentin out.  Due to the way Ned was being treated by Drew and Michael, Ned sided with Valentin and Lucy voted the exact same way she did previously, with Valentin, who has a stake in Deception and is now her boyfriend's client.  With BLQ's shares still owned by Valentin, the only change between this vote and the prior vote should have been Scout's proxy tipping the balance the Quartermaine way, assuming Ned stayed loyal as Drew and Michael assumed (the numbers don't really add up as it took the Scout proxy, BLQ's shares and Lucy's shares to swing the balance Val's way and all they have back for the new vote is Scout's proxy.  What they should have been doing is buying out Lucy's shares or insuring her vote better than they did.).  As Valentin was still CEO after the vote, he rejected the merger thus somehow hurting the value of Aurora stock, though the public should not have even known there was a planned merger with Aurora. 

My question is why did they need to merge ELQ with Aurora to vote Valentin out as CEO, since it was all based on the shares already allocated.  If they wanted to further dilute Valentin's shares by making a larger company by merging the two companies, this would happen AFTER the CEO vote, not before, so Carly investing in Aurora should have come after the vote was successful and would not have been necessary as the vote out was unsuccessful.  All they needed to do is vote Valentin out, why did they need the merger and for Carly to invest in Aurora?  Once their group had more voting shares than Valentin, why did they need to do anything further?  Diluting Valentin's shares would not be necessary as long as the core group stayed together and they would never even need the merger and for Carly to buy Aurora stock. 

While I know that who is the CEO of ELQ and the merger with Aurora, are just MacGuffin plot points, leading to the aforementioned results, the merger needing to happen at the same time as the CEO vote or at all doesn't make any sense. 

Can someone explain why I am wrong because the version the show is going with doesn't make sense to me?

Edited by Bazinga
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Can someone explain why I am wrong because the version the show is going with doesn't make sense to me?

you aren't wrong. - i think though they wanted to oust out Val and dilute his stocks, and the way to do that was to merge the companies so that way he (Val) could never attempt another major coup de force like he did. 

So basically voting against Val was for the merger and voting for Val was against the merger. but everything you said is why this storyline is stupid. because of whinging how Ned betrayed them, Drew should be on his hands and knees thanking Ned for saving him and Michael from federal prision. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Everything you stated was correct except regarding Scout's shares. Sam foolishly signed away Scout's and Danny's voting rights (not the actual shares) until they are adults to Valentin. Valentin keeps the majority with the rest of the voters that had voted for him originally.

Drew and Michael thought they were being oh so clever trying to push for the merger with Aurora as if Valentin would not figure it out that if it went through he would lose control as Drew would gain a bigger share in a merged ELQ/Aurora company.

As for Carly, she did lose her half of the MC but she still owns the Aurora shares that she bought and if Drew/Michael manage not to bankrupt the company, she should be fine,

• Useful 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Drew and Michael thought they were being oh so clever trying to push for the merger with Aurora as if Valentin would not figure it out that if it went through he would lose control as Drew would gain a bigger share in a merged ELQ/Aurora company.

That makes a bit more sense, that they were trying to slip one past Valentine, but still doesn't work for me.  

Why was the CEO vote necessary if the shares had not changed from the prior vote?  I thought there was a mention of Drew trying to reclaim Scout's proxy (I thought that is what Sam foolishly gave up in order to see Jason only to break up with him soon after) now that he was alive.  The BLQ shares did not revert to the family when Val found out Bailey was not his, right?  Lucy had no real reason to change her vote - Aurora would give Deception free advertising vs. going against a Deception shareholder and Martin's big client.  The prior CEO voting numbers in no way changed, so why would they call for a vote and why did they expect a different outcome?  Did Drew and Michael not see this as a problem that could foil their plan?  And, why would Valentine ever be fooled by the merger concept diluting his shares and why would he want the merger?  Did Drew and Michael ever approach him with some fake reason to merge in order to eventually spring their trap that he now has less of a percentage of the overall merged company's shares?  If merger and diluting Val's shares was the goal, then they should have been playing nice and acting like merging the two companies was good for ELQ and Valentin and that they were happy with him being CEO and then spring their diluted shares in the larger company, Drew and Carly now have a large stake in the larger company trap.  

Still don't see how the merger would ever work or happen.  Seems, based on the "Ned betrayed the family," that the CEO vote was expected to go one way and then, with Val out as CEO, the merger would occur, which leads me back to my problems with the grand plan in my prior post.  The merger only needs to happen after Val is out as CEO to make him less of a threat.  The merger happens after the CEO vote and there was no reason for the CEO vote to be different then the prior vote.  Drew, Michael and Carly were acting like Valentine was powerless to stop them but they shouldn't have had the votes even with Ned on their side.  They were acting like they outmaneuvered Valentine with this merger concept but how would that have ever been possible if they couldn't oust him as CEO?   The merger is not going to happen with Val as CEO and the merger was not necessary if the Quartermaines already had the CEO votes, there would never be a need for Carly to buy stock and lose the MC. 

What I am saying is that their plan could never have worked.  The way it is being presented makes no sense to me and I have put too much thought into this already.    

Edited by Bazinga
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was rather impressed with Olivia standing up to Drew and supporting Ned in regards to Ned voting with Valentine. We know she raked Ned over the coals in private about it, but she’s supporting him in public, however imperfectly

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm not sure what the writers are thinking here. Having Nina buy the hotel to "give" to Carly as an amends and then having Carly scream and screech at her for a total of 12 minutes when Carly is holding the Willow secret, really just makes Carly look like more of a terrible person than she already is. I get that the Carly lover/Nina haters will see it as Carly putting Nina in her place, but the longer Carly was screaming at someone who just bought her a freakin' hotel, felt  like she's kicking a puppy. I have to wonder if the writers are being passive agressive and trying to keep Nina "clean" rather than have her fight back and turn into as big a biatch as Carly.

I love the turnaround that they've done with Gladys. I've always been ok with the character, unlike a lot of watchers, but she's grown even more in the role and her mama bear, trying to get Sasha to understand that she needs help was well done.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Nina and Carly isn’t a fun rivalry for me. They’re too similar in a lot of ways and Carly also needs a foe who is willing to get as nasty as she does. MSt’s Nina appeared more than willing to sling mud but CW’s Nina is more reserved. Carly is a truly terrible person who feels zero remorse for the hell she brings onto other peoples’ lives. She needs someone to match that energy.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Blackie said:
17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Nina desperately needs someone—Liesl, Britt, Maxie—to tell her that no matter what she does, Carly will never consider the slate clean, so she might as well stop trying.

It didn't seem to take; she needs to hear this on an unending loop, heh.

15 hours ago, Daisy said:

I don't know why Val needs the Q company to feel complete but whatever

I think part of it is that it has nothing to do with the Cassadines; ELQ is something he did on his own.

13 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I get that treatment can be scary.

Sasha has been in treatment before, so it's not like it's new to her. I wish they had Brando push her harder instead of being the ultrasupportive husband. He doesn't know she's back on drugs, but the TV meltdown should have at least alerted him that Sasha needs to talk to someone about losing Liam, pronto.

13 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

On today's episode of Rage Blackout Hospital:

It's quite a feat when every story has that possibility.

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

the longer Carly was screaming at someone who just bought her a freakin' hotel, felt  like she's kicking a puppy.

I thought Nina stood up pretty well to Carly's ravings. Nina shouldn't have offered Carly the hotel in the first place, but whatever. And Nina left with a "what are you gonna do?" smile on her face, so I don't think we were supposed to think Carly "won" anything.

5 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Nina and Carly isn’t a fun rivalry for me.

Ultimately Carly will always win, so it's not even a rivalry.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Nina and Carly isn’t a fun rivalry for me. They’re too similar in a lot of ways and Carly also needs a foe who is willing to get as nasty as she does. MSt’s Nina appeared more than willing to sling mud but CW’s Nina is more reserved. Carly is a truly terrible person who feels zero remorse for the hell she brings onto other peoples’ lives. She needs someone to match that energy.

What Carly needs is to lose a good chunk of the time. like even losing the hotel, she hasn't really broken down and sobbed, the minute everyone heard, they are all rushing to help her (which i mean, great that you have that support, but you know what i mean). 

again I always have to say - even Erica Kane lost - and when she lost it was ugly and it took ages for her to gain back what she lost and you always knew it was bubbling under the surface.  People relished when she lost. Sure Erica would often in public would have that "Poop doesn't phase me." stance, but the moment she got home, she'd lose it and if she were wrong, Opal, or Myrtle, or Jack would let her have it. Binks + Kendall too. 

Olivia should be livid that Carly did this to them. They all go they are best friends or whatever, and your best friend sold the hotel w/o even saying a word to her?  Nina should be throwing bombs at her every time. they both did hurtful things to each other and yet, Nina is this mewling lamb every time. and I mean i'd argue it should be a Quatermaine but everyone is up her butt in that family. still pisses me off.  She doesn't have the Erica/Kendall, Jill/Katherine dynamic with Joss, she doesn't even have a Dorian/Vicki thing with anyone.. 

Until they are really prepared to have Carly lose, and lose, ugly and big, no matter what rival she has - it won't matter because Carly always wins thus  there are no real stakes. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Nina is this mewling lamb every time

Because of stupid Wiley. Carly certainly has enough influence that if Willow and/or Michael ever start to waver on letting Nina see the idiot child, they'll cave when she starts bleating about how Nina ruined their family.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly certainly has enough influence that if Willow and/or Michael ever start to waver on letting Nina see the idiot child, they'll cave when she starts bleating about how Nina ruined their family.

"You let Scott say Michael is abusive to women in open court!" is the new "you kept Sonny away from his family for nine months!"  I'm sure "you bought my hotel from under me to look good to Sonny!" is now on deck for the next accusation to throw at Nina when she dares to breathe in her direction.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I agree, although I think that the writers are keeping Nina on a leash for a reason right now. And that's the Willow reveal.

I think (read hope) that the gloves will truly come off once Willow's maternity comes to light, although I know that Carly will have a ready come back for Nina, that Willow didn't want to know her, so she didn't say anything.

These writers always find a way to disappoint.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

"You let Scott say Michael is abusive to women in open court!" is the new "you kept Sonny away from his family for nine months!"  I'm sure "you bought my hotel from under me to look good to Sonny!" is now on deck for the next accusation to throw at Nina when she dares to breathe in her direction.

and what cracks me up is like. they are acting like Nina wrote what Scotty was supposed to say, and then Scotty did it. vs. Scotty doing it and Nina being surprised by how aggressive it was. Like Nina said she knew that Scot was going to bring up Michael's criminal past, but not that he was gonna be all "SO YOU ARE ABUSIVE TOWARDS WOMEN."

and what did they want her to do. Stand up and go. "NO! STOP THIS SCOTT, MICHAEL IS A KiND SOUL! TO WOMEN KIND, CEASE!"  like. geeze. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think (read hope) that the gloves will truly come off once Willow's maternity comes to light, although I know that Carly will have a ready come back for Nina, that Willow didn't want to know her, so she didn't say anything.

to which Nina should clap back, neither did Sonny.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2

Carly has either never watched a legal drama or thinks that her family is above accusation (I vote #2).

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

And what did they want her to do. Stand up and go. "NO! STOP THIS SCOTT, MICHAEL IS A KiND SOUL! TO WOMEN KIND, CEASE!"  like. geeze. 

They wanted her to give Scott specific instructions that he was not to attack Michael or Willow or probably Carly herself and to never bring up either history or current hypocrisy while she was fighting to get to be able to spend time with her grandson. No problem, right?

11 hours ago, Bazinga said:

My question is why did they need to merge ELQ with Aurora to vote Valentin out as CEO, since it was all based on the shares already allocated.  If they wanted to further dilute Valentin's shares by making a larger company by merging the two companies, this would happen AFTER the CEO vote, not before, so Carly investing in Aurora should have come after the vote was successful and would not have been necessary as the vote out was unsuccessful.  All they needed to do is vote Valentin out, why did they need the merger and for Carly to invest in Aurora? 

You have hit on the nonsense in this, or one of the many.  The point was to vote Valentin out as CEO, logic was that if there was a merger, his shares would be diluted so that he wouldn't have the same power, conveniently forgetting that every other Quartermaine's shares (like Monica, Skye, Danny, Scout, Dillon etc) would also have their shares diluted.

You'd think that Edward would have made some provision for this in his will. Because otherwise, anyone who bought Aurora shares, like Carly, would have more say than a Quartermaine. Edward should be spinning in his grave.

Is a CEO able to refuse a motion put on the floor? If not, then it doesn't matter if Valentin is CEO or not, if there are enough votes for the merger it could go through. Drew and Michael really blew it by not listening to Ned.

Drew said in yesterday's show that stock pumping is legal so it was okay that they did that with Aurora. 🤯

8 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Why was the CEO vote necessary if the shares had not changed from the prior vote?  I thought there was a mention of Drew trying to reclaim Scout's proxy (I thought that is what Sam foolishly gave up in order to see Jason only to break up with him soon after) now that he was alive.  The BLQ shares did not revert to the family when Val found out Bailey was not his, right?

There was a somewhat reshuffling of shares. Valentin voted Scout's shares but while she kept the shares that she had in her own right as a Quartermaine greatgrandchild (however many they are), the shares that she inherited from Drew would have gone back to Drew since he wasn't really dead. Likewise Danny would now have inherited Jason's shares so Valentin would be voting those.. But since Drew and Jason in theory would have equal shares, it would all be equivalent in the end since Jason voted his shares with the family last time and Drew would vote his shares there now.

• Love 1