Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I liked Shaun Benson's Steven Lars (except when he was Carly's puppy dog). It would be interesting to have him back. He's in jail, right?  Along with Patrick's brother, and Shawn Butler. Why is it the doctors and the cops who go to jail. Is there anyone from Sonny's mob in jail now? 

Yeah, Shawn.  Shawn wasn't a cop, he was working as a Sonny mob flunky when he went to prison so I don't feel too sorry for him, even if he didn't actually shoot Rebecca Budig (he did after all go there that night to shoot JaDrew on Sonny's orders, IIRC).

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I like that we're at least in the early 00s. Seeing Georgie and Dillon was probably the highlight of the episodes for me this week so far. I also used to like Carly/Lorenzo, so it was good to see them too. I liked JaSam back then, but it's kind of hard for me to enjoy those scenes much anymore with how blah they've become. I wish Sam had ended up with Drew.

I can't believe the next TWO weeks are all focused on Sonny and his children after this too. 🤮

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In recent years, I think the only slow burns were Robin and Patrick and Dante and Lulu.

And, maybe not coincidentally, they seemed to be the last couples (outside of the mob black-hole pairings) that had decent-sized fan bases/followings in terms of relative popularity. "Relative" because ratings are so damned anemic these days, anyway...

8 hours ago, Laur said:

I can't believe the next TWO weeks are all focused on Sonny and his children after this too. 🤮

Seriously!  There is a lot more to this show than the basic-bitch foursome.  How about a Quartermaine week?  Scorpios?  Cassadines?  But we’re spending a month reminiscing about this quartet from this lame-ass wannabe Corleone family?  3 of whom are the worst actors on the show?

The ironic thing is that these throwback episodes meant to showcase them, features some great scenes involving everyone else.  

• Love 8
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I know that Jason and Sam were supposed to be lovey and romantic but there was something off about them even today. I can't quite figure out why.  Maybe it was because KMo was trying too hard but it rang false to me.

SBu didn't give KeMo much to work with, so no wonder she tried to compensate.

I LOVED Robin return to the show. There was no overt mystery or *wink*wink* to the viewers to try and guess who she was, like they did for Brenda's return. You heard her speak and you knew it was her. Saw her shadow. I covet her hat that she wore when she left the hospital.

What I found annoying was my closed captioning not telling me what she and the hospital staff were saying in ENGLISH. The closed captioning was in FRENCH! GAH! I only made out "criminal".

Shut up, Emily. It really is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. It's not like you KNOW that it's Nik's and she's saying it's Jax's.  And then of course, that twit, SWSNBN assumes the only reason Nik and Emily are talking is because of her pregnancy. Not like they would have anything else to talk about.

This episode was written by Guza and I have to say, that was good writing in the scene between Sonny and Brenda. And then Sonny switched to "Brenda can't live with the violence in my life", parroted by Carly,  when it's really that Brenda can't live with the lack of morals.

Sonny's pissing competition with Jax was never entertaining.

Sam is all about "I didn't know who I was without you" and she's just fine without romance as long as she has the mob enforcer. She's like someone in a cult.

Carly: I never wanted Jax to leave.  (Well what did you expect after what Sonny did to him? You're an idiot.)

I'm convinced that Brenda is Sonny's first choice, just as Jason is Carly's and they've built this dysfunctional relationship with each other because they potentiate each other's worst selves.

Carly and Sam: two women are examples of what women should not be.

Also, that was

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Also, was Robin there?

Yes.  As Brenda is packing to leave.  

5 minutes ago, seasons said:

Can someone please tell me what year today's episode is from?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Also, was Robin there?

10 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Yes.  As Brenda is packing to leave. 

Oh! Was this the one where she and Mooby got married and her dress was like a shower curtain? And there was that Big Bad played by the awesome Daniel Benzali? Oh!Oh!Oh! And the one where Jax went off on Mooby, his Aussie Accent making a reappearance when they thought Brenda died in the car explosion?

Robin was there being too sympathetic to Sonny`s position IMO but she did say that she would visit with Brenda and Alex in Europe. A short scene, but she looked very  good.

I think this was after Benzali, and Jax was leaving because Carly got full custody of Joss. I think Brenda was leaving because Sonny crashed Jax`s plane to kill him and thought he was completely justified because it was for Carly.

Also, that was

a Morgan that I liked.  Jax leaving ruined Morgan.

• Love 4

Another episode, another opening.

MB crying will never not crack me up. And the breakup with Brenda was about his selfishness in wanting her to accept him as he is with no complaints. "I am what I am!" Okay, Popeye. I hope Brenda is nothing but relieved she didn't get stuck with that man-baby. Leave that nightmare to Carly.

Also, Sonny will never give up the puny amount of power he has for any woman, no matter who she is. That works well for Carly as she uses his power as her own.

LOL that Sam is wearing a wedding-adjacent white dress to be proposed to. That's a bit on the nose, Wardrobe! I give Jason credit for sucking it up and wearing a collared shirt and jacket for the occasion. He's always such whiner about wearing anything other than his dumb T-shirt.

36 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sam is all about "I didn't know who I was without you" and she's just fine without romance as long as she has the mob enforcer. She's like someone in a cult.

She's such a doormat. She takes any scrap Jason gives her and then makes it even less by making sure he's okay giving her those scraps. Of course it's Jason who wants to make the formal commitment; I'm sure the show thought it was being so progressive—look! It's the wimmins who can't commit. I never cared if Sam and Jason got married, but I did care that Sam wasn't doing something simply because Jason wanted it.

Those Josslyn twins were SO ADORABLE.

54 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sonny's pissing competition with Jax was never entertaining.

I enjoy it when Sonny is being super petty. I don't enjoy it when Sonny does stuff like set up Jax for a rape charge or get him deported. It's always such an over-the-top reaction.

• Love 4

This episode originally aired in 2011...

Sam believes Jason will propose tonight and checks in with Alexis on what she should do.  Alexis gives her blessing.  

Maxie helps Jason prepare for the proposal but then loses the ring. She believes he should get another one, but Jason's determined to propose without it.  

Jax talks to tween Morgan about breaking up with Carly.  Baby Josslyn's eating a stuffed whale as Jax says goodbye to her as well.  

Carly snarks at Brenda when she comes to say goodbye to Sonny.  Sonny and Brenda are breaking up because power is more important to Sonny than love. Carly beleives Brenda is a hypocrite and I wonder why lightning doesn't strike her down.   

Robin talks to Brenda as she packs to leave.  Brenda gives Robin a letter for Sonny.  

Jax stops by to say goodbye to Brenda.  When he finds out that she's leaving as well, he offers her and Alec a ride in his jet.  Sonny is not amused when he finds out that they left together.  

Sam joins Jason on the rooftop.  (Can't stand these two but I have to admit that they both cleaned up nicely here)  Jason proposes and Sam accepts.  He gives her a lugnut in place of the ring.  THere's a meaning in that, somehow.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Robin was there being too sympathetic to Sonny`s position IMO but she did say that she would visit with Brenda and Alex in Europe. A short scene, but she looked very  good.

I think this was after Benzali, and Jax was leaving because Carly got full custody of Joss. I think Brenda was leaving because Sonny crashed Jax`s plane to kill him and thought he was completely justified because it was for Carly.

Ah, thanks!

Just now, seasons said:

Have i missed them bringing Alec back as an adult

Alec has not resurfaced in any form.  

8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh! Was this the one where she and Mooby got married and her dress was like a shower curtain? And there was that Big Bad played by the awesome Daniel Benzali? Oh!Oh!Oh! And the one where Jax went off on Mooby, his Aussie Accent making a reappearance when they thought Brenda died in the car explosion?

None of that happened today.   This was Brenda dumping Sonny because apparently he's a mobster.  I guess she forgot that when she married him (never cared for Brenda).  Jax and Carly are divorcing, she got full custody of Joss, so he's leaving town.  Jax, Brenda and Alec leave town together.  

• Love 1
Just now, perkie1968 said:

Alec has not resurfaced in any form.  

Brenda actually shows back in Port Charles without Alec and we find out that she is engaged to Jax. Of course, they break up and she eventually leaves town again but not before she doesn't correct Carly who thinks that Brenda slept with a drunk Michael. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, nilyank said:

Brenda actually shows back in Port Charles without Alec and we find out that she is engaged to Jax. Of course, they break up and she eventually leaves town again but not before she doesn't correct Carly who thinks that Brenda slept with a drunk Michael. 

I think that was the 2013 Nurses Ball.

5 minutes ago, nilyank said:

not before she doesn't correct Carly who thinks that Brenda slept with a drunk Michael. 

I loved that. Michael played along for a bit, too, which made it extra enjoyable.

Brenda is the one of the few people who is able to hold her own against Carly. Most women just run away, which is understandable, but it's more fun when Carly has a worthy adversary. Otherwise she just looks like the bully she often is.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Brenda is the one of the few people who is able to hold her own against Carly. Most women just run away, which is understandable, but it's more fun when Carly has a worthy adversary. Otherwise she just looks like the bully she often is.

Agree! I will never NOT LAUGH when Brenda was going to marry Mooby, and she and Robin were talking about SheBeast behind her back, while Herself was listening at the door. Like I was supposed to feel sorry for the beast? Like what anything that Brenda said wasn't true?

Gone are the days where she has to pay for anything or be treated like the trash pariah she is. So moments like those give me such pleasure.

• Love 4
On 6/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously! She SAVED the WORLD from being FROZEN!!!!

I care less that she SAVED the WORLD and more that she did it in a pink dress with a machine gun with Robert Fucking! Scorpio right beside her with his machine gun and in a tux.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Carly snarks at Brenda when she comes to say goodbye to Sonny.  Sonny and Brenda are breaking up because power is more important to Sonny than love. Carly beleives Brenda is a hypocrite and I wonder why lightning doesn't strike her down.   

I did have to laugh when Brenda said Sonny and Carly's relationship was dysfunctional.  Honey, so was yours with Sonny.  Actually, when has Sonny NOT had a dysfunctional relationship?

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

None of that happened today.   This was Brenda dumping Sonny because apparently he's a mobster.  I guess she forgot that when she married him (never cared for Brenda).  Jax and Carly are divorcing, she got full custody of Joss, so he's leaving town.  Jax, Brenda and Alec leave town together.  

I thought she dumped him, in part, because of what he did to Jax.  Didn't Sonny frame him as doing drugs and hiring prostitutes or something, isn't that how Carly got full custody of Joss?

I do feel like I remember there also being a shootout Brenda and Alec got caught in and Brenda being like, "Oh right, Port Charles has these quite frequently, and now I have a small child."

Sonny crashing Jax's plane comes later, IIRC, right after Sonny shoots Robin at her house.

ETA...which lead into these scenes.  I think this is when Garin Wolfe took over, I recall because Monica was all of a sudden kinda back.  And then Sam got to lay into Carly and it was great.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Seeing Brenda and Robin together just hit me with all the FEELS!!! I love their friendship and miss seeing it.

I also loved how Brenda told Alex about Emma-his cousin. Cuz you know, Robin is and always will be Brenda’s little sister.🥰🥰

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Yet 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Bring him back and his momma too!!! 🥰🥰🥰

He'll come back for a triangle when they soras Avery and Donna.

(edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

🤯 So insane lol. 

I didn't know they had the intro for the past couple episodes that far back. And why is it just all the men at the end?? Ha 

Guza?

On 6/24/2020 at 9:54 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Yeah, Shawn.  Shawn wasn't a cop, he was working as a Sonny mob flunky when he went to prison so I don't feel too sorry for him, even if he didn't actually shoot Rebecca Budig (he did after all go there that night to shoot JaDrew on Sonny's orders, IIRC).

Shawn couldn't hit water if he was falling out of a boat.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Need to cool off from how "hot" this Jason/Sam week has been...

n0sIDY3.gif&key=ff9f50c43e88563d1adf1bc3

Speaking of water, thanks for my favorite GIF! 🤣

Edited by tvgoddess
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

He'll come back for a triangle when they soras Avery and Donna.

I’m down for it!  

My hackles went straight up within the first 30 seconds of the show today with Snarly going at my girl Brenda.  

10 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Thanks for posting this. It was truly enjoyable. And everything Sam said could still be said today. So, I guess,  no character growth for Carly in the last 9 years . . . 

Dang Maxie was skinny today. Was this when she was sick?

And I found myself REALLY missing original Lulu and Dante with their scenes today. Can we please get just one of them back?

Spinelli aside, Sam and Jason were the worst part of today's show. At best, they are boring. At their worst, they make me turn off the show. How are tptb so out of touch?

• Love 5

This is the first episode I've seen in a while.  Man I miss Julie Berman.  She is so much better than the not-so-new Lulu.  

Kelly Monaco seems more animated back then than she does now.   

• Love 5

I miss Julie Marie Berman. OG Lante was so damn sparkly!

I forgot, why did Anthony Zacchara have power of attorney over Lisa Niles?

All that Phoenix and the Dragon, the song, + 50 years hammered into my head over and over plus Maxie obsessing and calling their wedding the "wedding of the century" just makes it painfully obvious how tired this pair was even back then. Like enough already.

Garin Wolf sure was a shitty writer.

• Love 4

UGH, OG Franco. How innocent we all were, thinking he would be a limited-edition one-off.

That cheesy CGI rendition of Spoon Island and Wyndemere was hilarious.

And aw, Dante and OG Lulu get engaged! JMB looks so young. Her giant plastic cocktail ring cracked me up. 

Papa Z! Welcome back, you crazy finger-puppeting mofo.

• Love 6

Oh, forgot to mention how eye rolling it was that Sam was all indignant of Ordained Minister Guy asking them if they were on the run from the law. Like it's so far-fetched Sam, you criminal.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Sam was so annoying in this episode. What is she, five? She's like someone looking for a reason to stomp her foot and have a temper tantrum about.  If she doesn't like all the hoopla that her family and friends want for her wedding, either suck it up for their sakes or tell them from the beginning what you want.

Even back then they were making Sam behave like a twit so that Jason could look like the reasonable one.

• Love 4

🥰❤️🥰❤️🥰❤️🥰❤️🥰LUCKY!!!!!!!!!🥰❤️🥰❤️🥰❤️🥰❤️🥰

AND ROBIN!!!!

What? I told y’all I only care about the Scorpios! I should have added and Jonathan’s Lucky.

But those SETS!!!! 

And Johnny! That’s a mob boss. He owns his criminality.

But a BIG YUCK to whatever that storyline was where they changed that painting of Laura to look like Lulu.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, rur said:

Thanks for posting this. It was truly enjoyable. And everything Sam said could still be said today. So, I guess,  no character growth for Carly in the last 9 years . . . 

Unfortunately, Sam no longer has the balls to call Sonny or Carly out for taking top priority with Jason.  She's settled into being his #8th most important person.

• Love 3
On 6/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, ffwbe said:

Then he bounces a couple years later when it’s clear that Liz doesn’t want him anymore which leads me to believe that she was the main reason he came back in the first place. 

The last scene of Ric that I remember is his line to 'Jake' that "you're marrying my ex-wife," I think the day before the wedding that didn't happen because "you're Jason." I think he entered Sonny's hospital room and was never seen again? 

Ric wanting to get back together with Liz when he returned to be near Molly was weird, because in their last interactions years ago she called him "cruel" and wanted nothing to do with him after he brought baby Jake's paternity into question during the Alcazar murder trial. At that time, he showed contempt for her for her loyalty to Jason.  Their first scenes together when he returned showed no indication that they'd been in touch/made amends in the years he'd been away; he talked like he'd never actually gotten over her. 

On 6/26/2020 at 12:08 PM, dubbel zout said:

UGH, OG Franco. How innocent we all were, thinking he would be a limited-edition one-off.

I mean, it should've remained James Franco's Vanity Project, that's for sure.  There were any number of ways the writers could've written for Roger Howarth and they chose that character.  Still remains one of the worst decisions they made in the last decade.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I mean, it should've remained James Franco's Vanity Project, that's for sure.  There were any number of ways the writers could've written for Roger Howarth and they chose that character.  Still remains one of the worst decisions they made in the last decade.

I hate how the defense of RH's Franco is "well he is totally different now, so it doesn't bother me", well then, if they were just going to totally change the character, why make him that character in the first place.

• Love 5
On 6/25/2020 at 10:56 PM, TeeVee329 said:

I thought she dumped him, in part, because of what he did to Jax.  Didn't Sonny frame him as doing drugs and hiring prostitutes or something, isn't that how Carly got full custody of Joss?

I do feel like I remember there also being a shootout Brenda and Alec got caught in and Brenda being like, "Oh right, Port Charles has these quite frequently, and now I have a small child."

Sonny crashing Jax's plane comes later, IIRC, right after Sonny shoots Robin at her house.

ETA...which lead into these scenes.  I think this is when Garin Wolfe took over, I recall because Monica was all of a sudden kinda back.  And then Sam got to lay into Carly and it was great.

Where has THIS Sam been?

• Love 1
On 6/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Who was the SLS trying to emulate yesterday with that hairstyle? Justin Bieber?

C'mon now @GHScorpiosRule  the CEO of a multinational corporation (or whatever the Show claims about ELQ) doesn't have time to pay attention to such trivial details as celebrity haircuts, unless such details have to do with his parents, Jason or Josslyn.

• LOL 2
On 6/25/2020 at 3:28 AM, WendyCR72 said:

In recent years, I think the only slow burns were Robin and Patrick and Dante and Lulu.

I know that they aren't popular here, but Franco and Liz moved pretty freaking slow.  They had their first date in June and their first time in January.  That's glacier.  

• Love 3

I hate how Franco basically stalked Liz and we were supposed to think it was this romantic courtship. I think today there is genuine love and affection between them, but the beginnings of their relationship were gross. As happens too much on this soap, alas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5