Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I believe she was also black. It's not diversity when the person has no lines, Show!

Yup.

I wish when Mooby said he was leaving and demanding that Kristina go with him, that the therapist asked if that's what Kristina wanted to do. Or that Kristina would have told his ass she was staying. It was HER therapy session that she brought his miserable punky manboy ass to in order to discuss her choices and what effect her relationship with him had on it.

• Love 3

That stood out to me, too. The session wasn't Sonny's to control, it was Kristina's. She looked at her therapist (Dr. Spaulding; they gave her a name but no lines; ugh), and that would have been the ideal time for the doctor to point that out. But now, Sonny must always get his way. UGH.

SO MUCH hasn't changed a bit on this fakakta show. I don't know if I should be comforted or alarmed.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, gp1999 said:

Who was the cop that Sonny put a hit on that Dante wanted to avenge? Did they ever show it onscreen or was it just randomly inserted to justify Dante's hatred?

But the difference is that Carly didn't need a DNA test for every one of her children. Only the father of Michael was in question whether if Tony or AJ was the father.

Yeah, but Elizabeth didn't go out of her way to destroy any of her lovers. And one DNA test needed is enough to say that Carly has no right judging anyone. All Carly is a self righteous bully. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, gp1999 said:

Who was the cop that Sonny put a hit on that Dante wanted to avenge? Did they ever show it onscreen or was it just randomly inserted to justify Dante's hatred?

But the difference is that Carly didn't need a DNA test for every one of her children. Only the father of Michael was in question whether if Tony or AJ was the father.

I think technically Elizabeth only needed one DNA test.  But, I wasnt really watching when Cameron was conceived.  I know that he was the resutl of a one-night stand with Zander, who was Emily's bf, but was Liz seeing anyone else at the time?  Her miscarriage was definitely Ric's.  She knew that Jake was Jason's, she was just able to pass him off as Lucky's.  

• Love 1

And the episodes confirming Sonny as a POS human and father continue today...

How is this clown our hero? Because he took care of Stone? Because he donated to GH? Because he took in Jason and taught him to be a trained assassin rather than go to medical school?

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

And the episodes confirming Sonny as a POS human and father continue today...

It cracks me up that all of these "best of" shows just reinforce how terrible everyone actually is.

• Love 5

Well, Morgan and Donna were always Sonny's, but wasn't there some doubt about Joss possibly being Sonny's? Didn't Sonny/Carly have a one night stand after a visit to Michael at the Facility that Jax found-- and when she got pregnant, there was a chance Joss might have been Sonny's? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So Monday was Sonny being a crap dad and shooting Dante. Tuesday was Sonny being a crap dad who is abusive and refuses to address it with Kristina. Wednesday was Sonny being a crap dad to Michael and killing his birth father. I'm assuming Thursday will be Sonny being a crap father to Morgan, but how? Maybe the episode where Morgan gets blown up by Sonny? I know we already saw one episode from that storyline, but no reason not to show another, right? And then I guess Friday will be him being a crap father to Avery? 

• Love 1

"What, are you going to shoot me like you did Dante?"

That might have been one of the best lines uttered on this show. Too bad we got so little of this Michael. He's actually a joy to watch (slut-shaming aside, sorry). 

I forgot how much I loved Nathan and Dante as buddy cops. They could bond over their dysfunctional families for days. 

NINA. I hate her so so so so freaking much. She skated on these crimes of hers by that flimsy bs excuse that she was mentally ill. She knew exactly what she was doing when she did it. And the fact that she did it all because of Silas?! That makes it even worse. If anyone wasn't worth it, it was tha that character. Or, any character played by ME.

I thought Anna did a great job displaying the betrayal she felt by Duke. I hate how everyone on this show eventually comes around to the fact that Sonny is oh so huggable. Vomit.

• Love 3

I posted this same thing in the Days forum today, but it also applies to today's episode of GH:

200.gif

first.

Talk later.

When will these people learn?

Also, Sonny sucks!

I HATE this show for teasing me, us, with how the SLS FINALLY saw Mooby for who and what he was, and called AJ his father. Only to turn around and forget who AJ was and what this petulant manboybaby did, be his "dad" again.

I think I was on the Barge because I was pissed at how they were ruining Robin, so, what brought him back under Mooby's whatever?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I HATE this show for teasing me, us, with how the SLS FINALLY saw Mooby for who and what he was, and called AJ his father. Only to turn around and forget who AJ was and what this petulant manboybaby did, be his "dad" again.

I think I was on the Barge because I was pissed at how they were ruining Robin, so, what brought him back under Mooby's whatever?

I think it was Sabrina. 😫

2 hours ago, Benji said:

I think it was Sabrina.

It was, alas. Ugh, and today Michael brings back Avery to Sonny and Carly. It's kind of enraging that MB is so good with babies—when she reached out her hand at him and smiled, I nearly died from the cuteness. And that seems to be the same twins that play Avery now. How often does that happen?

We're also in Denise Dinucci territory with Ava. Gah. And Dante and Valerie start their affair. More gah.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2020 at 8:31 AM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

The people selecting these episodes are aware how they are painting our heros, right? When the show returns we will see Sonny taken down ave Jason and Sam no longer together, right? Please?

If that were the case, then they would be spending more time on the storyines of other characters to set up future non-Sonny / non-Jason storylines. Instead, they are really coming down hard on how interesting and wonderful Sonny is.  The last couple of days have been almost unwatchable, especially today as Michael apologizes for being angry at Sonny and Carly and returns Avery to them while keeping Ava away. Hey, idiot, Ava isn't the one who killed your father.

I spent most of today fast-forwarding. The only scenes I enjoyed were 'Denise' and Franco, which rather says a lot.

I get it, that they were so impressed by the Sopranos 21 years ago that they wanted to do it on GH.  The big difference is that The Sopranos deliberately wrote Tony as a sociopath and knew that he was flawed and didn't try to portray him as a good guy with everyone treating him as a sainted put-upon white knight.  This gaslighting does the show no credit.

What these old episodes are showing me is how bad the show running is, and has been for a long time.

Emma Samms should have cut back on the eye makeup. She's a beautiful woman but it's not Hallowe'en.

• Love 4

This episode originally aired in 2015...

Ric's secretly dating Madeline to get to Nina's money.  Nina's married to Ric, unaware of this little fact and is  paranoid about her mother.  

Luke and Laura search for Lucky, who's been grabbed, and come across Holly.  Holly says someone has taken Ethan.  

Lulu and Dillon are in on the search.  Dante believes that they're having an affair and sniffs around Valerie.  

Sabrina, stupidly convinces Michael to stupidly return Avery to his stupid parents. Stupid Carly is grateful.  Stupid Sonny swears he'll protect Avery.  (The only good thing about these scenes is that the baby who plays Avery is still the same little girl, 5 years later.  And Maurice Bernard is very good with her)

Ava's pretending to be Denise and hanging out with Franco.   Morgan tries to warn her off of Franco.  Franco's trying to make Nina jealous.  Ava's desperately trying to get time with Avery.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Michael brings back Avery to Sonny and Carly.

And Sonny shows no humility about it.  Rather, after Michael leaves actually says Michael came to his senses.  Didn't hear a word of what Michael was saying about the danger surrounding him, made a joke when Carly said "we all have our faults" ("speak for yourself"), etc etc.

He truly is the worst--as is the way the show treats him like an all-knowing god.

• Love 3

This week's batch of episodes really drive home what a terrible father Sonny is. I don't know why any of Sonny's adult kids still kowtow to that knucklehead. He doesn't financially support any of them, they all have had terrible experiences because they're Sonny's kids, and he never changes. Why stay in a deeply unhealthy relationship when you receive few to no benefits from it? There is no upside that I can see, and no one ever acknowledges that. So what if Sonny loves his kids? It's the bare minimum he can do. He doesn't get a special cookie for that.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why stay in a deeply unhealthy relationship when you receive few to no benefits from it? There is no upside that I can see, and no one ever acknowledges that. So what if Sonny loves his kids? It's the bare minimum he can do. He doesn't get a special cookie for that.

Does Sonny really love his kids?  He never sacrifices anything for them. He walked out on Kristina's therapy session, he murdered Michael's unarmed father in cold blood. Avery has been separated from her mother. And then there's the matter of shooting Dante, which he feels is also justified.

I can understand Michael being brainwashed by his mother, Jason and Sonny all his life. But Kristina has her mother (who she rightly questioned as to why she excuses Sonny), and Dante grew up away from Sonny for most of his life.

But I'm seriously questioning why Sonny, who has all the advantages of wealth, power, and being a white male, always needs to be excused everything he does wrong and is propped up by the other characters.

• Love 3

This is a bit late but after watching Michael holding a gun on Sonny and “talking” to him made me realize more than ever what a truly terrible actor CD is. If there were ever a story line worthy of high emotion, it was this one. CD seemed unsure of  what his lines were and how he was supposed to act. I cannot imagine how he’s been retained on GH all of these years. GH has actually had some decent actors through the years but boy, do they stink now.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Does Sonny really love his kids?

He thinks he does. I mean, when he says he loves them, I don't think he's lying. But it's an entirely self-serving, self-absorbed sort of love. Sonny's children are variously pawns, trophies, ego boosters, or excuses for self-pity. He doesn't see them as people in their own rights, but extensions of himself.

Then again, I don't think Sonny thinks of ANYONE as a person in their own right. Other people are generally property, enemies, or irrelevant.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, Melgaypet said:
16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Does Sonny really love his kids?

He thinks he does. I mean, when he says he loves them, I don't think he's lying. But it's an entirely self-serving, self-absorbed sort of love. Sonny's children are variously pawns, trophies, ego boosters, or excuses for self-pity. He doesn't see them as people in their own rights, but extensions of himself.

Then again, I don't think Sonny thinks of ANYONE as a person in their own right. Other people are generally property, enemies, or irrelevant.

Excellently put, @Melgaypet! It's always how people and events affect Sonny.

• Love 4

Another good thing about Tuesday’s episode was seeing BADASS Anna. I MISS this Anna. And I’m so so so so sooooo bitter that this once great character has been annihilated for...reasons.

And as for Dewk, no words. Especially since it was AJ who gave him a job when he was running to become its CEO again. AJ was trying. Until that messed up Lila’s pickle relish nonsense and I can’t remember what happened because I was so pissed. I blocked it out, I think.

And SHUTUP! Bobbie with your plastic ass face, denigrating the son of one of your supposed best friends. I really wish Lucy had thrown more overt dirt in Bobbie’s face about what trash her daughter was, and how many lives she had ruined on her climb up the social ladder.

But most must fall and genuflect at the Altar of Mooby and the SheBeast.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Ugh, this is the episode where Carly has her idiotic lightbulb moment about how guns are bad and lead to violence, and we're supposed to think it's some sort of breakthrough. Maybe if it had changed anything, but of course it didn't.

• Love 2

This episode orignally aired in 2016...

Kiki's has been shot during a botched gun drop where Morgan messed up by intervening.  Griffin reassures Ava that Kiki pull through.  

Paul's throwing his weight around and Jordan's having none of it.  She beleives Ava is involved and wants her arrested.  

Andre explains to Carly and Sonny that Morgan needs help.  

Morgan's spiralling and heads to the hospital roof and talks to Conscience Kiki.  Michael shows up as does Andre.  Andre tries to talk Morgan down.  MIchael gets Sonny.   

Nathan's in the hospital and Maxie proposes to him but he turns her down.  Nathan believes she's only asking because he was shot.  Later, in his drugged up state, Nathan calls Maxie, "Claudette'.  

Ava blames Paul  for pushing the guns through her gallery.  Paul says he'll protect her.

Paul goes back to Jordan and tells her that Ava was working undercover with him and is protected.  

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Another good thing about Tuesday’s episode was seeing BADASS Anna. I MISS this Anna. And I’m so so so so sooooo bitter that this once great character has been annihilated for...reasons.

What?!? No love for weepy, personality of a sea slug Anna? That's a shame.

• LOL 2

So Anna telling Jordan that she, Anna would be one of the people she’d have to arrest was because she thought she killed Carrrrlosss?

And I Loooooooooved Jordan’s “watch me” to Paul. While I hated that stoopid Mayor replaced Anna with Jordan as Commish, Vinessa’s Jordan was so much more badass and COMPETENT.

• Love 4
(edited)

Not sure if this is accurate, but my DVR for tomorrow's episode says:

Claudia and Johnny's plan backfires, resulting in tragedy; Jason and Elizabeth talk about their future; (Me: gag) sparks fly between Lulu and Johnny. Airdate: 4/4/08

EDIT: I figured out how to see the rest of the week. Will let you all guess the theme.

Tuesday, July 7th: Carly's fury is unleashed; Michael's future is uncertain; Johnny wants justice. Airdate: 5/4/10

Wednesday, July 8th: Brenda arrives in Port Charles; Dante questions Lulu's motives for having an adventure. Airdate: 9/30/10

Thursday, July 9th: Sonny reassures Kristina; Steve offers Terrell a job; Kristina and Michael have an epiphany. Airdate: 1/6/11

Friday, July 10th: Shots ring out, creating chaos; Sonny and Kristina talk; Naomi hears a familiar name. Airdate: 7/25/16

Edited by tvgoddess
17 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Anyone know the theme for next week?  Sonny and Jason?  Jason and Carly?   Carly and Sam?  Because apparent there is nobody else to focus on 🙄

It’s more Sonny and his kids, although it’s only Michael and Kristina episodes 

2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

And Sonny has 85 kids, they can keep this theme running for months.

I think of all Sonny's children had a dramatic birth attached to it except Dante but that is only because he wasn't born onscreen,

Michael was born after Jason found Carly passed out in and she near died of severe hemorrhaging ,

Kristina was born premature after Alexis goes into labor in the park and Luis Alcazar walks away from her without helping

Morgan was delivered after Sonny shot Lorenzo and the bullet went through him and then went straight through Carly's head

Avery was born after Nina induced Ava and stole her away

Donna needed to be delivered by C-section as Carly found out after genetic testing that she was going to have a child with Spina Bifida. 

(edited)

Sirhan Surgeon! Welcome back, you nutty hyphenate! 

Kate has her world-peace bob. Dylan Cash is fully entrenched in the awkward years, poor kid. I feel for the younger actors who go through that in public.

Ooh, Lainey, the world's worst therapist, is in the opening credits! (I still love you, Kent Masters King!)

Edited by dubbel zout
finishing my thought
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I just reminded how stupid it was for Jerry, Claudia, Trevor and Johnny to hire a doctor/surgeon to be the hitman to take out Sonny.

I always liked Ian, his side hussle as hitman not withstanding. 

• Love 5

The Red Menace!  Oh, lord, how I don't miss that sociopath-in-training.

Sonny promising for the 1265th time that he was going to make things safer for his kids.  A full 12 years later and he hasn't moved the needle.

Carly screeching.  Same as it ever was.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The Red Menace!  Oh, lord, how I don't miss that sociopath-in-training.

The fact that Michael, a 12-year-old, bought a gun and everyone pretty much says, "Yeah, what are you gonna do?" still totally grosses me out. But the end of the ep was totally satisfying, with him taking a bullet. And that was pretty much the end of Dylan Cash as Michael, though of course we saw him in the immediate aftermath and at the Facility That Jax Found.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Sonny promising for the 1265th time that he was going to make things safer for his kids.  A full 12 years later and he hasn't moved the needle.

The whole episode seemed to be everyone admitting that Sonny's and Jason's lives are dangerous and then excusing them for it. And Lulu telling Johnny that she can't be with him because he's a mobster, while Robin encourages Liz to ignore that Jason is the same because he's a good man.

ETA:  funny listening to Sonny go on and on about how he wants Michael to have a legitimate business to inherit.  And it's true, Michael does inherit a legitimate business except it's from the Quartermaines, not from Sonny or the Spencres.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

ETA:  funny listening to Sonny go on and on about how he wants Michael to have a legitimate business to inherit.  And it's true, Michael does inherit a legitimate business except it's from the Quartermaines, not from Sonny or the Spencres.

It's interesting that Sonny and Carly are so proud of Michael running ELQ, when that should represent their worst nightmare. Of course, Michael is more of a Corinthos than a Quartermaine, since Sonny can never lose. Ugh.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's interesting that Sonny and Carly are so proud of Michael running ELQ, when that should represent their worst nightmare.

And it's through nothing they've done, which is always their badge of honor.  Instead, Michael runs ELQ (even though he shouldn't) because of the father they spent their life's work trying to shut out of his son's life.  Now Michael works for that family business and lives in that family's house.  So, yeah, that they seem to think that somehow that shines a good light on them?  Laughable--and not in the fake LW laugh way.

• Love 5
(edited)

Today's episode reminder me why I went off the show during that time.  Loved the judge, possibly the only good judge in the show's history, but the gaslighting and the self-blindness of Sonny, Carly and Jason made my head explode.

Sonny blaming Olivia for Dante telling the truth because she didn't let Dante grow up with him (this possibly is true), Carly yelling at Lulu for supporting her boyfriend over her family and yelling at Sonny that his bastard created this situation (you're a fine one to talk about illegitimacy) , Jason determined to kill Dante for upholding the law and ordering Spinelli to change to police roster so that the cops on the Corinthos payroll will protect him like that's an honorable thing), and all three of them unable to see how it was their choices caused this.

I hate how they try to tell me that black is white, and the law is bad.  Tracy and the judge were the two bright lights in this episode.

Edited by statsgirl
because Olivia is not Oliver
  • Love 3

Ugh, that stupid trial. Michael hitting Claudia was SO OBVIOUSLY self-defense, but of course the nimrod brain trust had to set the coverup in motion and make it possible for Michael to go to jail. And then the judge has to blather on about Claire charging poor, poor Sonny when she knew he was innocent. It was completely stupid of Claire, of course, but we didn't need the judge going on and on about how it was such a travesty of justice. 

Did Diane ever try to appeal Michael's conviction?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sonny blaming Oliver for Dante telling the truth because she didn't let Dante grow up with him (this possibly is true),

That's definitely true.  Any child raised by Sonny wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in butt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sonny blaming Oliver for Dante telling the truth because she didn't let Dante grow up with him

I read this and thought: "Who?" Then I 😂because the STOOPID AUTONOTCORRECT was at it again! Because it's Olivia, of course!

20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Silly dubbel zout! Unless it's PLOT! nothing logical happens. The SLS was out, and that's all the idiots cared about.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, that stupid trial. Michael hitting Claudia was SO OBVIOUSLY self-defense, but of course the nimrod brain trust had to set the coverup in motion and make it possible for Michael to go to jail. And then the judge has to blather on about Claire charging poor, poor Sonny when she knew he was innocent. It was completely stupid of Claire, of course, but we didn't need the judge going on and on about how it was such a travesty of justice. 

I don't even know how Michael was convicted by the judge who was presiding over Sonny's trial. Michael was convicted before he was charged with a crime, read his Miranda rights, or arrested. Michael's confession was used as evidence in his father's trial not his own. The judge takes it upon himself to sentence Michael of a crime without any thoughts of Michael's rights to attorney or right to a defense.

I am not a lawyer and the only law I know is what I have seen over the years on Law and Order.

Rather than actually have another trial after Sonny's, where they could have spent a week on Michael's trial, they took an illegal shortcut to have this particular judge do the sentencing and reaming out the entire courtroom. It was all for the sake television drama but that conviction had been appealed and then should have been thrown out.

Michael was a kid who had connections to Major Money in the Corinthii, Qs and Jacks. They could have gotten the best attorneys in the world. Michael did not have a criminal record (because any crimes that he had committed were covered up by his family). He also had came out of a yearlong coma that he was never expected to wake up from. Finally, Claudia kidnapped his pregnant mother at gunpoint and she was going to steal the baby leaving Carly to die.

The show wanted to move onto the next stage of this story for Michael in prison so that he could get raped and they were just lazy with these shortcuts.

• Love 2