Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The absolute gall of this show to make it seem like Tracy is some sort of uptight prude because she's disgusted by two miscreants using her bed to fuck on and then not even straightening it up.  We know it's not true and it was left that way for an alibi, but Ned/Lois/Olivia/Brooklyn/Gio don't. 

I hated all of those scenes, mostly because I thought everyone overreacted and overacted them.

5 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

I mean I don't really want [Sonny and Carly] back together, but no one should be shocked, just grossed out. 

No one should care. They should just roll their eyes at how stupid those two are and not give them another thought.

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

(i remember Tabyana started and a lot of people were ripping her baby voice, and I pointed out - as someone who has that kind of voice - you just can't help it. and it hurts your vocal cords if you just try to speak at a lower register)

*raises hand* I was one of those ripping on TA's voice. A speech therapist can help someone properly retrain their voice. It's something that should be done with a professional to make sure you don't damage your vocal chords.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

*raises hand* I was one of those ripping on TA's voice. A speech therapist can help someone properly retrain their voice. It's something that should be done with a professional to make sure you don't damage your vocal chords.

right and

46 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Sometimes? A bit? I can’t even watch her unless I mute the TV. Between her, Roseanne and Rosie Perez, I literally go into convulsions! Talk about three people who are in desperate need of a dialect coach!

fair lol and I mean we could also lump Rachael Ray in there as well. but i just mean i don't think it's ultimately that. easy. for example Rachael Ray's voice is a cause of her having multiple illnesses as a child which impacted her vocal cords. and I know just by watching interviews some people said even with working with coaches (for a role) they really did damage to their cords. so everyone is different, and i'm hoping i'm not sounding like a cow or anything here like - there are peoples voices that drive me up the wall as well.  but at the same time. knowing that I have a voice that can grate. (ask my mom when we're fighting and she's legit said i sound like a squeak chew toy and please just shut up) - it's not that easy. it does take a while to accept it as who you are, and I wouldn't change how i sound if i felt happy. admittedly. i'm not in front of the camera or doing anything like that. and I know it's cost me jobs but it's who I am). 

and that's how i feel with Lois. if she was being pushed into doing this i'd be like this is not fair. but because she wants to do this. i'm fine with the storyline exploring it. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

At first I thought the Lois's accent story was ridiculous but after thinking about it maybe not? There is an NPR reporter that I like that has a very distinctive voice and I admit it could occasionally make me wince. But I was appalled when reading the NYT comments on an article where her name came up and some of them just savaged her. (She's gotten a lot better, so either experience or coaching?) But still, people should STFU* on real people and their physical attributes.

Now I am just thanking the story gods that the vocal coach isn't a Rex Harrison lookalike. 

*I don't mean this discussion, just personal attacks that get nasty.

Edited by tessaray
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

One of the things the coach said to Lois was that she was going to give Lois the tools to adjust her voice, and Lois could choose to use them or not. I liked that approach. We'll see how long it lasts.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

One of the things the coach said to Lois was that she was going to give Lois the tools to adjust her voice, and Lois could choose to use them or not. I liked that approach. We'll see how long it lasts.

Right, if the coach is good and teaches well, Lois can use her normal voice most of the time and use a, shall we say more pleasant tone during her TV appearances to sell Deception products

• Like 5
21 hours ago, tessaray said:

I loved everyone's revulsion. It was perfect and made the episode watchable.

I like to think they were channeling the viewing audience (some of us at least).  Or maybe some of their personal opinions.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

fair lol and I mean we could also lump Rachael Ray in there as well.

There’s something wrong with Rachael’s voice?  I find her incredibly annoying in general but never noticed any voice issues.

If anything I find Lois’ voice drastically turned down from when she’s been on the show in the past. So it’s just weird that this would bother her now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mostlylurking said:

If anything I find Lois’ voice drastically turned down from when she’s been on the show in the past. So it’s just weird that this would bother her now.

Rena was pretty young on her first stint at GH. Maybe the accent is harder on her now?

• Useful 3

Anna is irredeemable if she needs freshly graduated Dex—still in his dress blues!—to tell her to hurry and get the search warrant for Sonny's place.

I couldn't care less about Holly's big score. So, so boring.

TBH, I don't think Lois sounds all that much different. She's speaking more carefully, but the accent is still there.

Hey, Carly! By chasing after Joss and talking to her, you've basically made her an accessory after the fact for Wagger's murder. Nice parenting!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

What happened to the gun Sonny used to kill Agent Useless?  The gun safe had space for four guns, one slot was empty, since Kristina took it.  Sonny wandered down to the Q's sitting room, dry and fresh as a daisy, with no jacket. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

There’s something wrong with Rachael’s voice?  I find her incredibly annoying in general but never noticed any voice issues.

just her timbre in general. people have often wondered why she sounds the way she does. 

8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Hey, Carly! By chasing after Joss and talking to her, you've basically made her an accessory after the fact for Wagger's murder. Nice parenting!

Carly talked to joss about this?!

• Like 1

My only comment is that I like the set for Trina and Joss's apartment.  It's become one of my favorites, and reminds me of the old brownstone sets.  So much better than the hideous fake brick seen in Finn's apartment and now in TJ/Molly's.    

• Like 4
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, ciarra said:

What happened to the gun Sonny used to kill Agent Useless?

I think he had it on him until he got back to his penthouse and gave it to Jason to get rid of.

15 minutes ago, Daisy said:
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly talked to joss about this?!

Joss figured it out that Carly was giving Sonny an alibi. Carly didn't come right out and say "Yes, that's what I did," but it was obvious Joss was right.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, ciarra said:

What happened to the gun Sonny used to kill Agent Useless?

He had it somewhere on his person because he gave it to Jason today to despose of.  It was unregistered whereas the one from the box that Kristina took was registerd.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

He had it somewhere on his person because he gave it to Jason today to despose of. 

So no one at the PCPD searched for someone with a gun at the Q's, why am I not surprised?

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5

As much as I think that this plot for Jordan is ridiculous (and just a way to get Steve Smith on screen) I like the explanation for it, that she wants to help someone since her granddaughter is lost to her.

The storyline of Lois' accent is also unnecessary, and pointless unless it is to get sympathy for Lois and give RS something to do other than butting into other people's business and propping Sonny.  However altering one's voice to get a position is not unusual, Margaret Thatcher famously went to a voice coach to change her voice to one considered appropriate for a prime minister.

But in terms of marketing, who is Deception pitching the Deceptor to? Older women who want to look younger, middle aged women who don't want to look middle aged. Lois, as she now appears, is not the pitch person for that.

• Like 1

Maybe coma guy will really appreciate 😉 Jordan's help, and she can get her groove back with someone other than the "makes me want to shower" Brick. 

I was enjoying Joss serving it to Carly. A Carly Jr. versus Carly Sr. story could be good. I hope she feels guilty not telling Dex and spills the beans. 

Jason's Back in Black on the Highway to Hell with his Dirty Deed Done Dirt Cheap. It's all a Touch Too Much. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, ciarra said:

So no one at the PCPD searched for someone with a gun at the Q's

Didn't search anyone or have anyone tested for gun residue.  And then at the penthouse today, Anna doesn't search Jason, even though she has to know that if Sonny was going to dispose of the gun, it would be via Jason.  

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I like the explanation for it, that she wants to help someone since her granddaughter is lost to her.

It would be even better if we had seen Jordan anticipating the birth of her grandchild long before the day the baby died.  I mean, Jordan was offscreen for like two months before Kristina fell out of the window.  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

was enjoying Joss serving it to Carly. A Carly Jr. versus Carly Sr. story could be good. I hope she feels guilty not telling Dex and spills the beans

Unnecessary because Dex heard about it from Anna when she was questioning Sonny. Of course joss doesn’t know that and will keep it from him and he won’t mention it to her. Great way to start a relationship 🙄

25 minutes ago, Perkie said:

Anna doesn't search Jason, even though she has to know that if Sonny was going to dispose of the gun, it would be via Jason. 

Could she thoug? If the warrant was to search the apartment, Jason doesn’t live there. I’m not a lawyer it I wouldn’t think he’d be part of the warrant. Maybe @GHScorpiosRule can shed some light?

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Perkie said:

Anna doesn't search Jason, even though she has to know that if Sonny was going to dispose of the gun, it would be via Jason.

9 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Could she thoug? If the warrant was to search the apartment, Jason doesn’t live there. I’m not a lawyer it I wouldn’t think he’d be part of the warrant. Maybe @GHScorpiosRule can shed some light?

No, Anna couldn’t because it was a search warrant for the premises- not an arrest warrant.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Joss and Trina's apartment is cute, but why is their kitchen decor gender reveal party chic?

The speech storyline is obnoxious because Olivia is acting like a histrionic fool with the 'bring my friend back' theatrics. 

Sonny is such an asshole and it's going to be disgusting seeing him sit back and let Alexis take the blame.  Fuck that guy.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
(edited)

Sonny says no one has the combo to his lockbox but it's not hard to guess 4321. 

Olivia is so obnoxious. Why can't we have a whodunnit with her as the victim? 

Elizabeth's hair is looking a lot better than it has in a long time.

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Liz said, "Alexis would never kill anyone."

Luis and Keifer would say otherwise. And if Katherine Bell didn't survive the first time she fell of the Cassadine parafet, she would be part of the group.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

Sonny says no one has the combo to his lockbox but it's not hard to guess 4321. 

I rewatched to confirm. It was 030163. MB's birthdate

• Useful 1

Is Sonny a moron? He doesn’t know how to get rid of a gun? He has guns in his home when his young daughter lives there?

olivia is hysterical because Lois talks different? Get a grip

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, ljr said:

Is Sonny a moron? He doesn’t know how to get rid of a gun? He has guns in his home when his young daughter lives there?

Are these rhetorical questions? 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No, Anna couldn’t because it was a search warrant for the premises- not an arrest warrant.

If this was the real world, I can see that, but GH generally has its own version of the rule of law, so it is frustrating when they decide to do something the right way. I'm pretty sure if it suited the plot, Anna would have found the gun on Jason somehow, warrant or not. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
13 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I'm pretty sure if it suited the plot, Anna would have found the gun on Jason somehow, warrant or not. 

It will never happen, but I'd love it if someone bumped into Jason and the gun fell out of his pocket, or wherever he put it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It will never happen, but I'd love it if someone bumped into Jason and the gun fell out of his pocket, or wherever he put it.

He put it in his pants in the back, so too bad he can't trip and literally shoot himself in the ass.

• Like 1
  • LOL 17
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

For realzies! He tucked it in the middle of his back.

2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

He put it in his pants in the back, so too bad he can't trip and literally shoot himself in the ass.

JINX!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
18 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I wondered if Anna happened to touch his back and felt the gun if she might discover it that way. 

I also wondered if a search warrant couldn't be written to include searching people on the premises, because if it was as easy as hiding the item in question on your person while your apartment or house is being searched, then criminals could easily evade searches (assuming the item was small enough). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I've been dreaming of this storyline for years.

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
58 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I wondered if Anna happened to touch his back and felt the gun if she might discover it that way. 

I also wondered if a search warrant couldn't be written to include searching people on the premises, because if it was as easy as hiding the item in question on your person while your apartment or house is being searched, then criminals could easily evade searches (assuming the item was small enough). 

Based on my knowledge from the Law School of Original (1990-2010 ONLY) Law & Order, the answer is no. Search warrants are for premises only. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
5 hours ago, ljr said:

olivia is hysterical because Lois talks different? Get a grip

3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Are these rhetorical questions? 🤣

Sonny is one of those rich people that can barely do anything for themselves because he hires it out. Only cooking, but that is because it's a hobby that impresses women. 

In all seriousness, ever since Jason and Sonny had their recommitment ceremony, Sonny know that simp will protect him, so he can be as reckless as he wants and Jason won't even call him out on it, like he would even with Carly or Michael. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Jason won't even call him out on it,

Jason didn't even blink when Sonny admitted he got Carly to give him an alibi.  You know, the woman he loves so much that he spent 3 years "dead" working for the cootie covered federal agents.  I thought that would have warranted a WTF but nope.  Copy that. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Jason didn't even blink when Sonny admitted he got Carly to give him an alibi.  You know, the woman he loves so much that he spent 3 years "dead" working for the cootie covered federal agents.  I thought that would have warranted a WTF but nope.  Copy that. 

this is why i will never understand why people want Jason to be with their favourite female partner. he sucks. he never fights for anyone he loves ever. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
(edited)

One thing that pisses me off is that Sonny committed felony murder so gleefully on Quartermaine property. It is a bad enough that TIIC ruins and kills off a popular past character, but they had Sonny do it at a place where the owner vocalized to his face that she wished him dead. He f*cks on her son's grave (who he also murdered) and now he is carrying out killings in her backyard like he owns the place. Because in a sense, he does. Michael is such an absolutely worthless heir and Jason is a complete disgrace to Lily Q, and Lois and Olivia have made Brooklynn and extension Ned bootlickers too. Tracy is the only one that shows any true loyalty in regards to Sonny and Co. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 6
  • Applause 12
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

this is why i will never understand why people want Jason to be with their favourite female partner. he sucks. he never fights for anyone he loves ever. 

He sucks hard. I think it has a lot to do with airtime. Jason used to be in our face like all the freakin' time. You turned left, there he was. Right? There too. Stared in front? Well look elsewhere. Nope he's there too.

Female characters aren't treated very well on this show. Whatever woman ended up with Jason, she too ended up everywhere.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 9/5/2024 at 10:04 AM, Sake614 said:

I don’t know. I think it’s more TR isn’t in the best of health these days. He certainly looked better in this week’s show, but he’s been looking quite frail and he hasn’t been on Twitter much either.

I’m genuinely worried for TR and LC’s health.  

On 9/6/2024 at 11:21 AM, DanaK said:

Right, if the coach is good and teaches well, Lois can use her normal voice most of the time and use a, shall we say more pleasant tone during her TV appearances to sell Deception products

Exactly.  I can switch from sounding like Kelsey Grammer as Frasier Crane when speaking in a business setting, to more like Tony Soprano in private.  It’s not that difficult.

Edited by Suicidy
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 9/5/2024 at 11:39 AM, mostlylurking said:

Ric and Becky are both chemistry magnets.  I swear either one of them could have chemistry with a tree stump.

Unfortunately the ruination of Lucky seems to be continuing with turning him into a carbon copy of Luke, at least so far.  I’m hoping some of that JJ magic will kick in once he’s back in PC.  I’d love to see him back with Liz and I wouldn’t even be mad at a triangle between Liz, Lucky, and Jason ( ducks tomatoes).

Becky Herbst is hot on so many levels.  She some of the reasons I endure the terrible writing.

terrible, horrible, awful writing…..

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

It’s a sickness with this show and the Sonny character. The location of the murder and involving Michael were just utterly foul to me. Looking at JJ on screen again I see the same talent and charisma I saw in the ‘90s even if I am forever a TC Nik gal and never was an L&L2 fan. They could really do something for this show and should hang on to JJ as long as they can—I fully understand it’s a business—and MB can ride off into the sunset. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

So I guess I’ve been living under a rock for years…I just found out that MB auditioned for Tony Soprano! No way that show would have been a success with him in that role. If anything, Tony would have been laughed off the screen. But I’d love to have been a fly on the wall during that audition lol!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

So I guess I’ve been living under a rock for years…I just found out that MB auditioned for Tony Soprano! No way that show would have been a success with him in that role. If anything, Tony would have been laughed off the screen. But I’d love to have been a fly on the wall during that audition lol!

Saw the HBO documentary Saturday and thought I saw MB in the auditions for Tony Soprano role. Sad thing is, as great a Thespian as Mo believes himself to be, James Gandolfini had more talent in his little toe than Muttering MB will ever have.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1

I laughed at his portrayal of John Gotti. Just because he’s played a mobster on a soap for 30 years doesn’t mean he actually has the gravitas to pull off a real life mob boss like Gotti or s made up one like Tony Soprano.or 

• Like 3
  • Love 1