Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Daisy said:

so like what? both Danny and Jake know how to just stand there and try to decide if they need to take a poop? like "being jason's son" means nothing unless they mean somehow they inherited the heart he used to have and are super kind and sweet and want to be a doctor and want nothing to do with the mob and death. so yeah i can buy that. 

Exactly.  They may know about Jason, but they weren't raised by him.  If they are supposed to be genetically alike in personality, then they are preppy, studious young men who want to be doctors.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Okayyyy, well Sonny didn't have much reaction to Dex confirming that Michael wanted to take him down initially. Sonny seemed more butthurt that Carly thought he was a pussywhipped wuss of a mobster who can't even take care of himself. Hopefuly Sonny will find his inner Soprano for Michael tomorrow. 

The couples stuff was a snooze. Maybe Stella and Hatman could have brought the heat. 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, Desperado said:

Happy that Sonny knows about Michael. I now have 24 hours to hope the little weasel will get his before it all falls apart and he gets forgiven in a nanosecond, while Nina gets pilloried for breathing.

This does hint at a Nina/Sonny reunion, which I’m fine with.

I knew Dex was none too bright but risking his life to avoid betraying Michael of all people, is beyond ridiculous.

Had Dex told on him, I wonder if Sonny would’ve believed him and if Michael would’ve kept Carly’s knowing a secret.

We’ll never know.

Did Sonny find out everything?  That Michael initially hired Dex to record Sonny and turn him into the feds?  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Did Sonny find out everything?  That Michael initially hired Dex to record Sonny and turn him into the feds?  

No, of course not. I wouldn't be surprised if that little fact is never revealed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, CeChase said:

No, just that Michael was paying Dex which makes it even more stupid that he was willing to die instead of telling him.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I guess Dex is fired from his job? Maybe Carly can hire him as assistant manager at Kelly's.

Brick sure is a blabber mouth. How does a mob boss deal with that?

I hope the scenes tomorrow have Sonny telling his puff fish son where to go.

I skipped all of the v-day crapola. But rejoice world for Curtis's wiener is working just fine. 

I'm glad the writers were replaced because this stuff with Sam and Danny might not pan out at all. I don't even know how anyone can root for Sam or Elizabeth going back to that neanderthal after his discovered he was in love with Carly. Plus Jarly cheerleader is now a HW, so, no thanks!

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1

you know. Considering that AJ & Monica were alcoholics and Alan addicted to painmeds, giving Danny a teen alcoholic storyline would be soo interesting.

but then i remember what show this is and so never mind.   

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

That is what I heard. Sonny said... "so Michael wanted to take me down", and Dex said "yes, at first, but then he changed his mind." But then Sonny just breezed past that to being upset that Carly thought he was feckless and needed babysitting. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Yes. the Balkan. Can’t blame you for not remembering. It was a pretty forgettable storyline. 

I thought I remember Adrienne Barbeau killing the Balkan when she slit his throat.  Maybe you mean someone else?

5 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

I thought I remember Adrienne Barbeau killing the Balkan when she slit his throat.  Maybe you mean someone else?

He killed the Russian which I think predates the Balkan but after Manny.

(edited)

I remember everyone laughing when Sonny killed the Russian at the meeting of the Five Families because of how laughable it was all performed. It was a goofy scene.

Edited by Lobsel Vith
  • Like 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

I remember everyone laughing when Sonny killed the Russian at the meeting of the Five Families because of how laughable it was all performed. It was a goofy scene.

I think they were referring to a different Russian, Karpov, who Sonny shot in front of Olivia.  The humorous "twirl-and-shoot" killing at the Five Families meeting was a different Russian years later.  Not to be confused with the *other* Russian who Sonny killed at the next Five Families meeting a couple years after that.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

Sonny could have at least given Dex a lift back to town.  Instead, he abandons Dex and Carly in the woods, where half a dozen other hits could be going down.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 10

Having Carly play hero makes everyone look bad in return. Sonny looks like an ineffective mob boss, Dex is a pathetic version of a mob enforcer if he needs his gf’s mom to rescue him and untrustworthy since he chooses to keep Michael’s secret over Sonny, and Brick looks bad for running to blab to his boss’ ex. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 9
  • LOL 1

funny line of the day

Sonny to Michael:  Hello....Judas

Had a hearty chuckle out of that one. As much as I despise Sonny, MB played it well in yesterday's reveal and 5 minutes into todays.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

funny line of the day

Sonny to Michael:  Hello....Judas

Had a hearty chuckle out of that one. As much as I despise Sonny, MB played it well in yesterday's reveal and 5 minutes into todays.  

I was about to say the same - I think that's the first time Sonny has EVER been funny! I also liked that Drew is like a bully who just got his hand slapped, with Nina refusing to leave town and telling him that he and Carly are underestimating her. 

The line about "stabbing your father in the back!" made me roll my eyes because no asshole, you shot his father in the chest! You killed him!

So much whatever with Joss.  Saying she couldn't handle going through what Trina is going through, and then "I hadn't thought of that." Well duh, you're not that bright. Dex is rather pathetic - first his girlfriend's mother saves him and now his girlfriend is off to save him from Sonny. But I knew as soon as I heard Joss yelling outside the door that Sonny already went to Dex.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I remember Olivia Jerome from her original appearance on the show. I had a huge crush on Jason Culp (original Julian) and Tonja Walker, but missed her 2017 return.

They just killed her off camera and that’s it? I was really hoping she had been Dex’ boss instead.

Not a fan of the Ava/Sonny and Nina/Valentin writing on the wall…

So someone is killing off old mob bosses?

Which reminds me, Jennifer Smith is still in jail? Also dropped like a hot potato.

Shouldn’t be surprised, considering the very anti-climactic Luke death.

• Like 5
(edited)

I'm glad Sonny called Michael out. I was waiting for him to blame Nina for everything under the sun, so I guess the writers decided to stay their poison pens for 5 seconds.

Drew is still a complete douchebag. I'd like to see a scene where Scout refuses to spend time with him because of his douchiness. Who in the fuck are you to try and chase someone from out of town? You don't own PC, Drewfus. The irony is that he might be the one chased out of town after his golden douchebag brother returns from the dead.

I hope Nina wipes the floor with Crimson and Drew. 

Joss and Dex are so . . . boring. Even when there's drama, it's not real drama. It's pearl clutching and whinging. Honestly, can we move this along? If Sonny was going to kill Dex, he would have done it in the Pine Barrens, not in his apartment, or in PC. To echo other posters, Dex is pathetic. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 8

A couple of questions occurred to me:

• Do fashion advertisers typically have "exclusive" deals with certain publications? Doesn't that limit their coverage? Why wouldn't Nina be able to make deals with some of her old advertisers regardless of their ties to Crimson?
  • Why is Nina focused on a paper magazine? Why not go digital, the way Alexis did with The Invader? 
  • How the heck do the writers/producers expect viewers to believe that Carly could step into Nina's shoes without any problems? In every job I've ever had, from most entry-level to management, there's some kind of learning curve when people have never done it before, and that's why there are such things as a mentor who can show them the ropes. 
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, KittyQ said:
  • How the heck do the writers/producers expect viewers to believe that Carly could step into Nina's shoes without any problems? In every job I've ever had, from most entry-level to management, there's some kind of learning curve when people have never done it before, and that's why there are such things as a mentor who can show them the ropes. 

Because she's Carly. She is perfect, can't lose and will Carly on.

• Sad 3
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Because she's Carly. She is perfect, can't lose and will Carly on.

Any moment now Laura will decide to retire and, as Mayor, just decide no election is needed and give Carly the position.

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1

Drew running around taunting Nina is so stupid. He looks ridiculous. When Carly is done exacting her pound of flesh from Nina, you know it's time to move on.

Has everyone forgotten that Joss has gone through losing a boyfriend? We had to suffer through her moping Oscar for months on end.

• Like 9

Okay let's recap Sonny aka "Mobster Magoo": Michael plants a mole to take him down, but then he and Sonny just mostly chat about how Sonny could really use a pal right now. Next Sonny will turn to Ava, the woman who stole Morgan's meds, shot Sonny's love Connie, and totally orchestrated Sonny shooting AJ. Now he's over there to make sweet love to Dex, who also totally lied to him and put his loyalty to Michael first. Sonny really needs to take some lessons from Ms. Wu.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
8 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Okay let's recap Sonny aka "Mobster Magoo": Michael plants a mole to take him down, but then he and Sonny just mostly chat about how Sonny could really use a pal right now. Next Sonny will turn to Ava, the woman who stole Morgan's meds, shot Sonny's love Connie, and totally orchestrated Sonny shooting AJ. Now he's over there to make sweet love to Dex, who also totally lied to him and put his loyalty to Michael first. Sonny really needs to take some lessons from Ms. Wu.

I don’t want them to blow up Nina and Ava’s friendship and I certainly don’t want Ava with someone she has to cowtow to #Sonny.

If they don’t put Nina and Sonny back together I wouldn’t mind a Nina/Valentin redux.  

Where is Ms. Wu?!!  They need to bring her back.

• Like 13

Michael said Sonny has nobody without him, Dex and Carly?  What?

Dante lives across the hall with his grandson. Avery and Ava lives with him.  Kristina, Donna, Avery. He's got friends like Alexis, Lois, Olivia , Laura, Anna.  He's got Brooklyn and he has a wife albeit estranged. But yes he's got nobody without the people who were going to send him to jail. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

@dubbel zout Yes, Joss and Trina touched on Joss losing Oscar, when Trina was explaining (in their dorm room) the drama on the boat and her feelings about "Spencer's death." Joss explained that they knew Oscar was terminally ill. It was EMc's first day back after bereavement leave. 

In this case, I believe she was trying to say to Dex she couldn't handle losing her man suddenly, shocking and violently as Trina has. Well then fool, date a guy who has a regular job/life. Oh wait, you did- but you cheated on the good guy with and dumped him for, this guy who willingly has a dangerous and sometimes violent job.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
38 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Michael said Sonny has nobody without him, Dex and Carly?  What?

Dante lives across the hall with his grandson. Avery and Ava lives with him.  Kristina, Donna, Avery. He's got friends like Alexis, Lois, Olivia , Laura, Anna.  He's got Brooklyn and he has a wife albeit estranged. But yes he's got nobody without the people who were going to send him to jail. 

What Michael meant was that he has nobody that matters without him and Carly. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Sure, Micheal's an idiot, but why doesn't he say to Sonny, "Let's talk betrayal.  Remember that time you killed my bio dad?"

Because Michael himself only cared about that for a few months. That should have been the time for him to walk away from Sonny and Carly to extent permanently and establish himself as a Q. When he didn’t, it not only ruined the character but it forced the Qs to have to deal with them for Michael’s sake. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 7

Has Sonny divorced nina?

I wish would someone would punch Drew in the face. He already took away Nina's job at the magazine but then he wants to take her job at the hotel. 

He needs to move on from his revenge.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I think maybe that was supposed to be a Jason anvil.

I assumed that’s what they were going for when Carly said it too but it didn’t make sense. Jason was never central to Sonny’s life like that. He’s always had other people and despite what they wanted to happen, every person in his life didn’t turn his back on him because he decided to get involved with Nina. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The way CM is playing Drew now is giving me Ryan Lavery flashbacks and everything I hated about his acting style. I know people have said that since he joined the show but game show host/motivational speaker Drew was more CM playing himself. Ryan was a jackass and had a misogynistic undercurrent. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

For whatever reason, ever since the establishment of "Drew" as a non-Jason character, I've always wished there was a chance for the brothers to have a relationship. I think there might have been too much BTS tension for it to happen the first time SBu came back. But now they're making Drew some kind of malfunctioning robot just in time for this latest Jason return so it once again doesn't seem in the cards.

It's frustrating to me, the one person who wanted to see Quartermaine twins getting along and maybe taking Monica out to a nice brunch for her annual appearance on the show.   

• Like 7
4 hours ago, ljr said:

Has Sonny divorced nina?

I wish would someone would punch Drew in the face. He already took away Nina's job at the magazine but then he wants to take her job at the hotel. 

He needs to move on from his revenge.

There's something about Cameron Mathison that, eventually, I want to punch every character he portrays. It happened with Ryan on All My Children and now on GH. Granted, a lot of it has to do with the writing, but credit must given to the lack of nuance in his acting.

I apologize for repeating what others had already said about CM's acting "style." My brain isn't quite working at full speed today. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

CM's bug-eyed "acting" style is annoying the hell out of me, as well.

I don't like that giant Drew is looming over a woman, making threats.

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, ciarra said:

CM's bug-eyed "acting" style is annoying the hell out of me, as well.

I don't like that giant Drew is looming over a woman, making threats.

OMG, the bug eyes are working double time lately.  He's totally unhinged.  And the show actually wants us to acknowledge that, as they're having random characters comment on it.  

Also, I know where the kids are involved we're supposed to hand-wave the parenting away, however for all his bitching about "all the time that was taken from me being with Scout," when was the last time he saw her?  He's too busy running around town trying to make Nina ~pay.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

OMG, the bug eyes are working double time lately.  He's totally unhinged.  And the show actually wants us to acknowledge that, as they're having random characters comment on it.  

Also, I know where the kids are involved we're supposed to hand-wave the parenting away, however for all his bitching about "all the time that was taken from me being with Scout," when was the last time he saw her?  He's too busy running around town trying to make Nina ~pay.

He’s had 1 scene with her post prison- that time he was telling her about the new school he signed her up for and ignoring the obvious signs that she wasn’t ok with it. Father of the year blew off a meeting with Sam to discuss Scout later on because he was too focused on getting revenge on Nina. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

It's laughable every time they try to tell me Drew is such a doting father, because all we see is him blowing her off to either play Carly's lapdog or Nina's tormentor. And of course, he missed time with her while he was in jail because he was so intent on falling on his sword for Carly. For some reason her kids were more important than his own.

Drew sucks in every possible way. Good riddance.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3

So how long before Sonny gets over what Michael/Dex/Carly did? I expect him to be over it by next week. Meanwhile he hasn’t spoken to Nina since New Years over something that he wasn’t directly affected by and in the end, Carly didn’t even have to suffer any consequences for since Drew took the fall. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1