Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I remember when Ned/Lois got married and how big a deal the show made of it, so seeing those Brooklyn Bridge shots was a great trip down memory lane.  Also, I'm almost certain Lois's math skills were a thing during her original run, so nice callback.

Yes, the math stuff was a callback.  While I like that they are leaning into the character’s past and bringing stuff back, it’s strange because usually the writers seem to either know nothing about a character’s past or just rewrite it entirely.  It’s a little weird that they are digging so deep on a character that’s not sticking around that long (I don’t think).

10 hours ago, Corvino said:

Susannah said: "JMO, but isn't 15 a little old to go trick or treating? Don't teens generally go to Halloween parties instead?"

Nah, I don’t think it’s too old.  I think at that age they just like going out with their friends.

• Love 2

The child actors are not good and getting through parts of the episode was painful because of the focus put on them. That said, I liked the whole extended family vibe going on, like Sam dropping off Jake, Danny and Georgie at Valentin's and picking up Aiden (I thought it was that obnoxious Wyatt kid, and doesn't he have kids his own age to hang out with?) and Scout from Kelly's afterward. It was nice to see the invisible kids for a change. Also, Georgie hangs out with Danny, Jake and Charlotte? Watching her fight with James, I didn't even think she was near that age bracket. Also, it would be nice if we saw these kids interact every now and then? 

Scout, sweetie, you're a darling for wanting to have a bag of candy for your daddy, but your Drewfus loser father loves the SheBeast more than he loves you. He doesn't deserve to have you acknowledge him.

Michael is such a motherfucking asshole. I don't know that there is any other way to describe him, but that. CD is such a bad actor that I'm not even sure if he was feeling torn about what he was doing to Nina at the end or if he was meh about it. 

And a shoutout to the Montreal Biodome, which is a great place to take kids to. They just re-opened after massive renovations and the place looks great. Morgan would have loved it there, they have a whole bunch of penguins in their Antarctica exhibit.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Cody and Sasha were cute, I have to admit.

Willow should be talkng to her man-child husband about graciousness.

Have Trina and Spencer never been to a college party, let alone a college Halloween party? They aren't staid affairs. Good grief.

9 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I liked the whole extended family vibe going on

We don't often see this much of the cast in one place, and that's always nice.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I think Valentin knows Charlotte is up to something.

Run Jake! Run!

ETA - About this Adam storyline, am I the only one who is getting some really bad vibes about it? It feels like we're headed toward a mental breakdown / possible suicide storyline. With him freaking out over his grade, his parents who are choosing the med schools he should go to, him being a loner and having latched on to Joss, I don't believe this will end well for anyone involved.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

LW and her fake laugh got a workout today.

The child actors are horrible.

39 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Why did it seem that Valentin was overly stressing about getting the kids trick or treating. He seemed very high strung interacting with charlotte. Why???

JPS's acting in those scenes was odd and I'm not sure what they were going for.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Like 5
39 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

ETA - About this Adam storyline, am I the only one who is getting some really bad vibes about it?

Yup.  I think Joss is going to want to fix things for Adam, and will ignore her relationship with Dex.   Why couldn't they find a successful, non-flaky academic dude for her, rather than a mobster's flunkee?

• Like 4

So the Corinthos Jr. family dress as Star Wars characters Michael as Darth Vader and Wllow and Wylie as his children Leah and Luke. And now I've squicked myself out.

Carly closed her restaurant to have a family party? It would have been nice if the kids had been able to invite a friend or two as well.

Blech as Willow tells Carly what a wonderful father Michael is even as he is trying to sabotage Nina's relationship with Wylie.

Wylie: "If you have any trouble with outlaws, I'm here to help."  {Wylie, I guess you're too young to realize that Luke was the outlaw.)

Meanwhile, the older kids are Jake, Charlotte, Danny and Georgie. Younger kids at Carly's are Donna, Avery, Scout, Wylie, James and Aiden. Aiden is old enough that he should be with the teen group since he's in the same grade as Charlotte but still, it's nice placing of the two groups of kids.

Why are they taking Ace Trick or Treating? He's too young for candy and probably going to get scared from all the strangers.

Why is Valentin driving around 15 year old Charlotte and her older friends? Last week he was worrying that she uber'e back from camp to torch Anna's house.

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't know why Carly sneered at prison cooking. (Well, I do, but you know what I mean.) Kelly's is still a diner, even if Carly has made "improvements."

But all those flowers, like up on the counter! And today they had been replaced by pumpkins. So many pumpkins

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Scout, sweetie, you're a darling for wanting to have a bag of candy for your daddy, but your Drewfus loser father loves the SheBeast more than he loves you. He doesn't deserve to have you acknowledge him.

I thought "Poor Scout. Your daddy doesn't remember that you exist when Carly is in the same room."

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Have Trina and Spencer never been to a college party, let alone a college Halloween party? They aren't staid affairs. Good grief.

Isn't Trina in third year? What has she been doing all this time?

54 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

ETA - About this Adam storyline, am I the only one who is getting some really bad vibes about it? It feels like we're headed toward a mental breakdown / possible suicide storyline.

When he started pulling at his hair, fictional warning bells went off in my head. It's a juicy role and I hope that MB's son can carry it off. Not looking forward at all to Saviour Joss. Is this a way to show how perfect she will be as a doctor? Because she needs to lose the judgement first.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, he sure is. He sees how much Wiley loves Nina, yet because of his (Michael's) own pettiness and idiocy, he's willing to rip that relationship away. Gah. I hope he asphyxiates in his costume.

and this is what drives me insane. Forget Nina for a moment. WILEY loves Nina. and i'm assuming (he's like what now, 6?), he's at an age where his knowledge of Gramma Nina aren't going to fade away. you can't erase her now. So Michael is deliberately hurting his son, because he can't handle the fact that Mommy and Daddy aren't together anymore.  Like grow the everloving hell up. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6

I get that holidays equal kid scenes but there were wayyyy too many kids on today so I was bored out of my mind. It just proved my point as to why we didn’t need to make 2 characters pregnant every year.

I’ll give them the teens since Charlotte obviously has something SL related going on and they probably wanted to introduce the new Danny but maybe we should have stuck with them and not done the Kelly’s Halloween party scenes. Like I needed to sit through a montage of them playing cornhole and Michael making a stink face because Wiley likes Nina. 

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I get that holidays equal kid scenes but there were wayyyy too many kids on today so I was bored out of my mind. It just proved my point as to why we didn’t need to make 2 characters pregnant every year.

This. I had to mute most of the ep. The only kid I would’ve wanted to see costumed would’ve been Ace, but no.

Spencer’s costume (including the feet!) and make up were great, but I didn’t understand why him and Trina got all dressed up to stay at the Gallery?

Maybe I muted to much.

• Like 1

Lawd have mercy if I have to look at that "attempting to express disdain but widely missing the mark" pathetic new Michael face for months on end. 🙈

If they want to do a sympathetic troubled teen story about Adam and not a crazed stalker obsessed with Joss story, they need to dial back his creeping around her door 24/7. I totally expected that after looking at his grade online he would switch over to the video feed from the camera he planted in her room. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

Since when do all these children all know each other.  Scout and Donna ok they're in same circle, but James and Wiley? I guess they are family now.  All the older kids Sam brought to Valentine's. 

Adam has issues that seem realistic and creepy always outside the door.  If there were better writers I would think there's a lot of things they can do. 

Michael is the rock of the family? With his evil face staring Nina down when the kids and Willow want her to go. Always stepping in for his siblings?  He spent a year lying and scheming to send Sonny to jail not caring about his family at all. 

Maxie left Carly in charge of James and not his aunt or cousin I guess Willow? 

So did none of the little kids actually go trick or treating? Where's Ava?

Sam has Aiden? I feel like I need a flow chart for these children related to each other. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Desperado said:

Spencer’s costume (including the feet!) and make up were great, but I didn’t understand why him and Trina got all dressed up to stay at the Gallery?

They started out at the frat party but it was too loud and messy for Trina ( as @dubbel zout asked, what did she expect from a frat party?) so they headed to the gallery for some quiet.

Joss and Dex were just about to arrive at the party when the police got there first.

You missed nothing.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Mental illness often first presents in college (my bi-polar sure did - wish I hadn't waited until I was 40 to get the diagnosis) so that may be what they're doing here rather than crazy stalker nonsense. Makes sense with Mo's family involved. For all the crap Ive talked about him over the years I appreciate how up front he's been about his own diagnosis and struggles.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

If they want to do a sympathetic troubled teen story about Adam and not a crazed stalker obsessed with Joss story, they need to dial back his creeping around her door 24/7. I totally expected that after looking at his grade online he would switch over to the video feed from the camera he planted in her room

I also think he is not going to do anything to himself, but is going to do something to Joss. It is possible he has planted cameras in her room, thusly knowing when she is there.  Charlotte is becoming such a little psycho, God knows what she has up her sleeve now, or in her backpack. Valentin just stood there and said nothing while Anna said where she had moved to, and the security measures, so now Charlotte knows where to find her again, and he knows this!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

i don’t think MB’s son’s character is supposed to be a villain. I think they’re just alluding to someone who self harms and has a lot of anxiety due to the pressures of school and his parent’s high expectations. That’s actually a decent and topical SL but it’s weird that they are doing it with a new character instead of one of the college kids we already know and who has ties to others. I guess they won’t give it to Joss since they want to act like she’s perfect and the result of perfect parenting but it’s the ideal SL for a legacy kid. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, susannah said:

God knows what she has up her sleeve now, or in her backpack.

the backpack contains her goblin or whatever character she was supposed to be from the Tarot cards. My guess is she'll slip away at some point, put it on and terrorize Anna. Then she'll find a convenient stairwell or something to change and go back to her friends. Jake has now seen Anna's keys and previews show Charlotte telling him it's the key to getting everything she wants. I don't like it but at least it's fairly interesting. And quite frankly, Anna is being so stupid and whiny that she almost deserves it.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

Since when do all these children all know each other.  Scout and Donna ok they're in same circle, but James and Wiley? I guess they are family now.  All the older kids Sam brought to Valentine's. 

Wiley and James are blood-related. Wiley is Nelle's biological son and James is Nathan's.

The older kids with Sam also make sense. Danny and Jake are half-brothers and Georgie is Maxie and Spinelli's daughter, so while not blood-related to the other two, she is the daughter of Sam's very close friends.

And Charlotte is related to Danny and Sam by blood since the three are Cassadines, even though the show chooses to forget that 99% of the time and Charlotte was living with Sam and Dante while Valentin was running around Chechnya with Laura.

10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Where's Bailey Lu????

Not with Felicia or Maxie. She should have stayed with BLQ and Chase, tbh. Talk about a kid who shouldn't exist.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Michael looked like he was holding in a fart the entire episode.  Gotta let those out, bubba, or you'll screw up your bowels.

he must have attended the Joey Tribbiani acting classes...

• Sad 1
  • LOL 8

October 24 episode:

I appreciate that Martin warned Michael that Nina could end up being dangerous if he tries to hurt her further

Cyrus definitely showed his dangerous side to Mason 

• Like 3

Anna's going to shoot Charlotte, isn't she? Exxxxxxcellent.

The most "professional" kid actor is little Donna, but it's all very Broadway with her. I think I'm right that the Avery actor has been in that role since babyhood. Even then, she had a very old-soul vibe, much like baby Lulu. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think I'm right that the Avery actor has been in that role since babyhood. Even then, she had a very old-soul vibe, much like baby Lulu. 

Twins share the role and, yes, they've been Avery since babyhood.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I’m fine with Charlotte psycho-ing out on Anna.  I just can’t with Anna’s crying and sniveling anymore, I have a five year old who doesn’t whine as much!

OMG me too.  I ff her now.  It's just awful.  

• Like 3

I’m glad they finally course corrected on that lame Molly/Kristina feud and I like this Molly so far.

I will never buy Sam and Carly as friends. It makes Sam look like a pathetic doormat for putting up with this one sided friendship with someone who never supports her in return.

Unless Harmony is warning Willow about her controlling husband or she’s hallucinating due to a terminal brain tumor, I can do without those scenes as well.

I don’t know how old any of the teen actors are but Georgie looks way too young to be their peer. It’s reminding me of when they briefly tried to NB’s Spencer in scenes with a teen Joss and she looked like his babysitter. 

• Like 8
17 hours ago, TVbitch said:

f they want to do a sympathetic troubled teen story about Adam and not a crazed stalker obsessed with Joss story, they need to dial back his creeping around her door 24/7. I totally expected that after looking at his grade online he would switch over to the video feed from the camera he planted in her room. 

Totally. I'm not sure if the show has decided which lane to pick. I'm not thrilled with either, frankly. 

Isn't a 92 an A? So what's the big deal? Adam not getting 100 on one exam will not ruin his chances to get into any medical school, whether it's on his parents' list or not. Medical schools care about GPAs and maybe final grades in particular classes, not random exam scores during a school year.

• Like 5

Shut up Sam, Carly doesn't need even more kissing up.

I guess the writers heard how much the viewers hated Molly being such a bitch.

Kevin telling Laura his psychological evaluation of Charlotte is why you shouldn't treat friends of family members.

Poor Scout and her candy for her father. Drew gets out of jail and he heads straight to Carly.

Why is Charlotte reading through Anna's papers? I want Anna to catch her, just to end this storyline.

19 hours ago, Daisy said:

. So Michael is deliberately hurting his son, because he can't handle the fact that Mommy and Daddy aren't together anymore.  Like grow the everloving hell up. 

But that's consistent, it's the Carly in him.  Willow wanted to know her mother and Carly decided that she didn't need to know.  They always decide for other people what's best for them ignoring what the other wants.

Let's see if Michael lets Nina go on the trip to Montreal.

21 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Unless Harmony is warning Willow about her controlling husband or she’s hallucinating due to a terminal brain tumor, I can do without those scenes as well

I don't appreciate the constant teasing of a storyline that I really don't want to see. Nina spent two years apologizing to the Carlys for existing. The last thing I want to see is even more piling up on Nina. Time to pile up on Carly or Michael instead for the things that they actually did.

Georgie should have been with the children at Carly's private party and Aiden trick or treating with the teens.

9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Isn't a 92 an A?

An A+. But Harvard is the #1 ranked medical school in the US and Johns Hopkins is #4 (I can't remember what the third acceptable school is) so if It's those three or bust, I feel for Adam. Did his parents go to any of those schools? Because a legacy leg up would help.

It does remind me of the old joke though: What do you call the person who came last in his medical school class?

A: Doctor.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Isn't a 92 an A? So what's the big deal? Adam not getting 100 on one exam will not ruin his chances to get into any medical school, whether it's on his parents' list or not. Medical schools care about GPAs and maybe final grades in particular classes, not random exam scores during a school year.

When i was in Library school i was always gutted when I got like a low score mostly because I knew I knew it but my test anxiety would kick in. (to be fair i was under soo much stress with my mom being ill, being 1/2 way across the country and not having enough money for food/school etc etc and working several jobs, so basically my nerves were basically shot). it didn't matter to me that jobs didn't look at grades [as my professors told me all the time, or that it was an A/A- - to me it wasn't perfect and it just really mattered to me at the time that something in my life could be. (I know others like that in regards to their grades so it's cool that the show can keep that realistic). 

• Hugs 5

Charlotte seems to have been hit, which means we're going to get weepy Anna and weepy Valentin at the same effin' time. Next week will be brutal even if it's a scratch on her arm. And Valentin is 100% to blame for this. Instead of fessing up to Anna what Charlotte did, he decided to keep it from her. 

Those Carly/Sam scenes were so unnecessary. You can't go around saying that people haven't changed when you yourself is incapable of change. Sorry, I forgot, Carly is perfect. I just hate everything about this so-called friendship. It's forced and it makes no sense.

Instead of going straight to see his child, Drew goes to Kelly's to see Carly. What do I have to do for this thing to blow up in his face like right now.

I liked the Harmony actress a lot when she was on the show. I thought she was capable, had some charisma, her redemption was going well enough that I didn't actively hate her character. But let's not forget what Harmony was. A baby thief, a sex trafficker and a murderer to boot. Let's not pretend like she's some paragon come to rescue her daughter from the vile Nina. And we know she's not there to warn her about Michael. We all know he's perfect little angel.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Oh dear lord, I just realized that we’re probably going to be subjected to more ugly crying from Valentin next week

And guilt ridden Anna continuously apologizing to the dufus. 🤮 

Why is Halloween lasting a whole week? What is this, Y&R?

• LOL 5
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

. it didn't matter to me that jobs didn't look at grades [as my professors told me all the time, or that it was an A/A- - to me it wasn't perfect and it just really mattered to me at the time that something in my life could be. (I know others like that in regards to their grades so it's cool that the show can keep that realistic). 

I think the show is putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable, as it often does. Focus on Adam wanting to get perfect scores, not his parents' list of medical schools. Those go hand-in-hand, I know, but I feel like the list is diluting the desire for perfection. (I'm probably not explaining this quite right.)

52 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Poor Scout and her candy for her father. Drew gets out of jail and he heads straight to Carly.

He is THE WORST father.

2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Charlotte seems to have been hit, which means we're going to get weepy Anna and weepy Valentin at the same effin' time. Next week will be brutal even if it's a scratch on her arm. And Valentin is 100% to blame for this. Instead of fessing up to Anna what Charlotte did, he decided to keep it from her. 

Valentin is the second-worst father. And I cannot with this story.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think the show is putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable, as it often does. Focus on Adam wanting to get perfect scores, not his parents' list of medical schools. Those go hand-in-hand, I know, but I feel like the list is diluting the desire for perfection. (I'm probably not explaining this quite right.)

nah i get you. [i mean it's hard when i am not watching either. LOL to see what happens] - and admittedly i did miss the whole list of medical schools. to which i mean. like... unless this is a Gilmore Girls Paris "Everyone in my family went to Harvard, i Have to get in!" situation. like. be happy you went to medical school. to piggy back on your statement - i don't waltz in going "hey did you go to harvard?" before i get an exam. 

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

again. i wish this so hard. SORAS Scout up and have her tear an ever loving lasting new one on Drew. honestly. out of everything i could hate Drew for, this is the one that stands out because he's literally ditching everything aside for a woman that if his brother was alive, she would ditch Drew so fast  there would be skidmarks. and he knows this. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Valentin is horrible with children.  All of his scenes this week have been weird and awkward.

I hope that Harmony is warning Willow about Michael.  That would be an interesting direction for this story, and it might explain the Vader costume.

I think it's cool that Anna shot Charlotte, but hopefully won't turn into some big secret thing.

• Like 10

Totally don't buy Molly's and Kristina's sudden lovefest, and again how Molly took zero responsibility for the fact that she alone caused the rift by her cruelty to Kristina. K did nothing to deserve it, and isn't pointing that out either. Always will dislike how Alexis took Molly's side.

Why would Charlotte be interested in any of the things in Anna's trunk? Whatever has happened with her is completely Valentin's fault. How did Kevin find out about Charlotte's trashing Anna's hotel room and possibly setting the fire if Valentin didn't tell him, or did I miss something? Shall we take bets on whether Charlotte is injured? So much for the security building with a doorman.

I'm not sure but I think there might be a tiny crack in the stone heart of evil Michael.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Instead of going straight to see his child, Drew goes to Kelly's to see Carly. 

I thought that was Carly's fantasy. It looked to me like it was raining outside, but when he came in, he was dry. 

But I could be wrong, and I don't care enough to watch it again to check.

• LOL 2

Molly: "Scout really misses Drew."

Alexis: "So does Carly."

JFC, now not only blackmailing judges on Carly's behalf but equating a CHILD missing her dad to a grown-ass woman whose crime put said dad in the position to BE in prison.

Fucking show.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, susannah said:

Totally don't buy Molly's and Kristina's sudden lovefest,

At this point I'm just happy that someone realized that Molly being a compete bitch for zero reason was not resonating with the fans who grew up watching the Davis coven get along.  NuMolly seems pretty decent so far and looks the part so that's an extra bonus.  

2 hours ago, susannah said:

How did Kevin find out about Charlotte's trashing Anna's hotel room and possibly setting the fire if Valentin didn't tell him,

We saw Valentin tell Laura so the presumption is that Laura told Kevin.  

• Like 9
5 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t know how old any of the teen actors are but Georgie looks way too young to be their peer.

The character should be 10yrs old, but they SORASed her to 13ys.  With Jake being 16 and Charlotte 15, it's not too farfetched that she's hanging with them.  

10 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Wiley and James are blood-related. Wiley is Nelle's biological son and James is Nathan's.

Ok, it took me twenty minutes to figure out the connection to Nelle.  It's much easier to connect to Nina, as she's Wylie's grandmother and James' aunt.  

• Like 1

I did not see that coming until Charlotte started fumbling with her flashlight! Great soap! Hope they don't backpedal it. Maybe this will FINALLY break schmoopy Anna and flaccid Valentin up for good. 

Speaking of vomitous relationships:

Sam: Hey Carly, I just drove all the fooking way back over here even though I just saw you, to check on you. However do you cope with sending the man you love to prison for your crime and being gifted a restaurant?

Carly: Well, you know, I am brave, strong and amazing even the face of this incredible suffering and hardship. 

Sam: You totally are. I just want you to know I am your new best friend and I do not hold you treating me like shit for decades against you. I have seen your greatness and am now available 24/7 to listen and offer support.

Carly: I know. ...and maybe some year we can even talk about you. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1