Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

On 10/25/2023 at 10:11 PM, susannah said:

Would anyone mind telling me why Lucy is obsessed with the 1% share of ELQ, which sounds like nothing, and why she ever got it since she is not family? If it is not too convoluted to tell?

1% of a multi billion dollar company is not nothing.  Assuming ELQ is worth at least a few billion dollars, that 1% is worth $20+ million.  Not that the idiot writers for this show ever address practical concerns like that.  If it were Lucy, I would have secured a loan against her ELQ share and loaned it to Deception to pay legal bills and bridge any shortfalls in operating capital pending outcome of litigation.  Not that something so basic would have ever occurred to the writers.  

They must all be incredibly uneducated people based on the ignorant, idiotic plots and dialogue.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Suicidy said:

Are there people who really believe that and see the Carlys as heroes?  

Yep.  Just check out Facebook. I can’t read much of it before getting seriously annoyed. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Suicidy said:

1% of a multi billion dollar company is not nothing.  Assuming ELQ is worth at least a few billion dollars, that 1% is worth $20+ million

I was speaking of how much power a 1% shareholder would have, not its financial worth, which I don't know anything about.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:03 PM, statsgirl said:

Joss: "Well that isn't fair."  The rallying cry of the Carly's.

Finn/ME got his hair cut but I have trouble telling the difference.

Curtis' shooting made him need glasses?

Portia is worried about Trina's safety. Did she forget that Trina is dating Cyrus' grandnephew?

Portia is such a Carly. She wants to get the doctor's license revoked who testified that Cyrus  is physically unable to beat up someone else. That's not a lie, Cyrus can't do it himself. But as a mob boss he can get others to do it and that's on the parole board.

What would US TV do for dramatic plots if the country  had single payer health care like the rest of the world?

Starting nurse Willow can just take off any weekend she wants?  Nice work if you can get it.

IMO, dipping fries into your milkshake just ruins both the fries and the milkshake. And yet, Michael and Willow sharing a double straw milkshake like a teenage couple from a 1940s movie seems on point for them.

Carly: "I uncovered proof that Judge Kim was [corrupt]."  Something else that just fell into Carly's lap with no effort on her part at all.

Now that Michael knows, I really wish that Nina would launch an all-out campaign to get Drew out or at least to a minimum security prison and maybe mitigate the wrath of the Carlys.

‘What would US TV do for dramatic plots if the country  had single payer health care like the rest of the world?’

Likely plot lines based around slow response times for things like like cancer and heart disease, leading to low survival rates.

On 10/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, perkie1968 said:

Yum.  My favorite kind of baked ziti is the bathtub kind!!

Well, it's official.  I hate a television character more than Peter, Franco, Jason and Carly combined.  I also hate the writers/writing.  

Michael:  My mother lost everything.

Me:  WHAT THE EVER LOVING PHUCK HAS SHE LOST???  She's still living in her giant mansion.  She didn't need to move into a one room apartment.  She still has money to pay for her nanny.  She didnt have to look after her own kid.  She was given a diner from Mommy.  Everyone regularyly gives her tongue baths for no reason.  So she had to pay a 5 mil dollar fine.  For most of us that would be impossible but for the woman who was married to a filty rich mobster and a filthy rich corporate raider and was friends with a filty rich mob lackey, 5 mil is change she found in her couch cushions.  

Michael is a weasel and a liar and a hypocrite and now my blood pressure is up!  Stupid Michael.  

All that after she turned her nose up at Nina who tried to GIVE her back the half of the Metro Court she foolishly lost based on her own stupidity and greed.

I wonder if LW considers a Carly to be as vile as we consider Carly.

• Like 3
On 10/26/2023 at 7:18 AM, jqdeco said:

OMG, I am so sick of this stupid SEC/poor Drew and Carly/Nina is evil storyline. I have despised Michael since CD took over the role. He always looks like he is about to cry. 
Damn show for bringing back Liesl just as I was ready to walk away from the show.

I hope Liesl straightens out the Carlys for their continued abuse of Nina.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:34 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

A. "We lost money!" - as if that excuses the crime

B. "The FBI twisted things!" - as if they were framed

C.  "The judge is corrupt!" - as if you were coerced into pleading guilty and accepting a deal

D.  "We only did it to protect our family!" - see A.

E. “We were just trying to make a buck!”

• Like 1
On 10/26/2023 at 1:39 PM, dubbel zout said:

This is Carlys main defense for why they should never have been charged for insider trader. Someone else occasionally mentions that the payoff isn't what matters, it's the sharing of the information in the first place, but of course it's the Carlys, so we get this cockamamie story we have.

The lot of them defrauded Aurora stockholders and sent the share price plummeting because of their idiot scheme.  They DO deserve to go to prison.  It would be fun if they had someone that got ruined financially because of their criminal activities sue the lot of them for millions.  Or better yet, a class action suit.  

Maybe they could bring Ric Lansing back as the plaintiff’s attorney?

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Suicidy said:

Are there people who really believe that and see the Carlys as heroes?  If someone like Michael ever threatened me like that, he would be spending the next week shitting out his own teeth.

oh yeah. they are very very vocal on twitter and youtube comments. like honestly. it drives me bananas, because it's one thing to like Carly, or whatever but like Carly, justify all the crap she does. and then slam everyone else if they use her playbook

like I can get why some people don't like Nina but some of the justification of why just blows my mind

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ah, my friend just emailed me that Tyler Chrisopher has died. 😢

I don't get why Anna now feels she is safe because she moved into Maxie's old apartment? Every other sentence out of her mouth is about someone being "after her."

I did enjoy this exchange:

Finn: I love you. I've loved you for a very long time. 

Liz: ... ... ... 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Ah, my friend just emailed me that Tyler Chrisopher has died. 😢

yeah he had a heart attack or something :(

First Matthew Perry, now Tyler Christopher. so sad

• Sad 7

Still catching up…October 20 episode:

It annoyed me that Alexis and Gregory played gotcha with the judge instead of just straightforwardly interviewing him about the donor question. And basically trying to blackmail him to get him to change Drew’s sentence. That felt too much like what the old Invader paper would have done. I feel let down by both of them

It was good to see Kevin back up Esme at the hospital to see the pediatrician alone and not with Spencer. Parental Rights indeed. Esme needs to decide how she wants Spencer in her and Ace’s life because the boundaries are getting blurred

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

don't get why Anna now feels she is safe because she moved into Maxie's old apartment

Apparently there's a doorman.  I guess the building has better security than the Metrocourt does. Or you know, plot point, if she gets rid of the bodyguard than whoever's coming after her can come after her.  

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Apparently there's a doorman.  I guess the building has better security than the Metrocourt does. Or you know, plot point, if she gets rid of the bodyguard than whoever's coming after her can come after her.  

Well now that Charlotte knows that her father thinks that she is unstable, there's really no telling what she will do.

Valentin should tell Anna, instead of looking like he's on the verge of tears every other second.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

I'm annoyed that Sonny has to be involved in all these SLs, especially since Robert would be a far better choice for many of them. However, Mo does seem sharper lately, so at least the other actors don't have to wait forever for him to spit out his lines.

I can't even think about Tyler right now. It's so horrible. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sake614 said:

to be fair, Sonny's restaurant is just a front. It isn't meant to be a real restaurant.

Isn't that the definition of a front, though?  Something that looks like a legit functioning business.  Like the vinyl record shop downtown in my city that sells drugs, because there's no way they can afford that building by selling old records. 

Can't imagine Anna living in Maxie's pad.  What a dump.  They can't fix the warehouse painted brick look, but could they please take down that dreadful wallpaper?  And Maxie lived there with a broken oven?  Seriously?   

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, ciarra said:

Can't imagine Anna living in Maxie's pad. 

Okay I clearly didn't get enough sleep last night. Because it took me TWO readings of this to not see Anna living in a maxi pad 🤣

Other than that, when exactly did that building get a doorman? People come and go at all hours and Maxie would just open the door without having any idea who was there. Isn't the purpose of a doorman to announce visitors and let the resident decide if she wants to see them? This mysterious doorman never kept Peter away.

Edited by Sake614
  • Like 3
  • LOL 7
15 hours ago, lala2 said:

I don’t know why they continue to dress Maxie and Laura like trash. Wardrobe seriously needs to do better by these actresses. 

It's so weird, because we know Wardrobe can do better. There was a run during the summer where all the women were wearing fantastic day dresses. And the men usually look decent, Michael's ill-fitting shirts aside.

13 hours ago, DanaK said:

Esme needs to decide how she wants Spencer in her and Ace’s life because the boundaries are getting blurred

She's tentatively starting to do that, what with thinking about moving out of Laura and Kevin's apartment, but it's going very slowly.

13 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Well now that Charlotte knows that her father thinks that she is unstable, there's really no telling what she will do.

Hopefully she'll start terrorizing him. Valentin is a terrible father and deserves some payback. Ignore weepy Anna and go after the OG problem, Charlotte!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I forget who used to recap this show, and went by location, calling it Maxie's pad.  Trademark, someone else.

this so sounds like something i would do. lol. but maybe not

• LOL 2

23 hours ago, sas616 said:

Those scenes were like a breath of fresh air together.   Rena and Maurice really clicked.   Wonder if they had that same chemistry back in the day. 

They did.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Daisy said:
20 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Are there people who really believe that and see the Carlys as heroes?  If someone like Michael ever threatened me like that, he would be spending the next week shitting out his own teeth.

oh yeah. they are very very vocal on twitter and youtube comments. like honestly. it drives me bananas, because it's one thing to like Carly, or whatever but like Carly, justify all the crap she does. and then slam everyone else if they use her playbook

Yeah sometimes I tiptoe into the comments on Facebook groups just to see what “the other side” is saying and woo boy….There are MANY rabid Carly fans.  They hate Nina with the fire of a thousand suns and are eagerly anticipating a CarSon reunion.  I’m still hoping against hope that Sonny and Nina will stay together somehow, but it doesn’t bode well.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Good for Ava for sticking to her guns about selling Spoon Island.

Brook Lynn should accept Deception from Tracy and then sell it to Lucy and Maxie for a dollar or something. Just end this tedious story. I'm glad BL finally explained to Tracy what taking Deception would represent to her. I doubt Tracy cares, but it's a much better explanation than just "I don't want it."

I would have no problem telling Kevin everything. He's such a soothing presence.

Scott, there certainly IS something called an undo button with a signed contract. It's called a renegotiation. It might not work, but it's not illegal to try.

Ugh, wispy Wiley tomorrow being "cute." 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I’m thinking that the prospective buyer for Windermere could be Cyrus or even Nicholas. 

I assumed that it is Nicholas but Cyrus would be an interesting twist.

Kevin treating his step-grandaughter who occasionally lives in his apartment is so wrong ethically.

• Like 4

Cyrus was my guess (for the Spoon Island buyer), but then it would be hard for him to pop up everywhere to fake apologize to people he has wronged.   Long commute.

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
21 hours ago, Daisy said:

like I can get why some people don't like Nina but some of the justification of why just blows my mind

As someone who likes/tolerates Carly or at least SJB & TB versions of her, I hate Carly stans so much. They misinterpret everything about her character and they forget what it actually means to like a character in spite of(or even because of) the fact that they're a piece of shit. They excuse everything she does while moving the goal-post for other characters that do shitty things, mostly other female characters.

Nina is just this seasons target. It used to be Brenda, Sam, Robin or anyone that got close to Jason, Sonny, or Jax(depending on the day)with the exception of Courtney(being Sonny's sister saved her from Carly's worst impulses). I think some people get wrapped up in a great actor portraying a bad character that they trick themselves into thinking the bad character is the one they should root for....and usually TPTB pull strings in favor of the character/actor and that doesn't help much in terms of viewer interpretation.

Stans say she's grown up from her mistakes but there are no shortage of people that still defend her early sins with the same fervor they defend her current bullshit. Banging Tony, letting him think Michael was his son, steamrolling Bobbie, steamrolling the Quartermaines, sabotaging A.J and then stopping at nothing to keep Michael from him. You name it, and Carly fans have an answer for it. They're so fucking annoying. 

I'm just like......if she was never wrong for anything she ever did then what did her character need to "grow up" from then? Like the math ain't mathing here lol 

Edited by Skarzero
  • Like 5
  • Applause 13

I was also wondering if Kevin should know what Charlotte has done. How can he help her otherwise? You wouldn't take your kid to the doctor and not indicate the kid's symptoms. I also wondered about Kevin treating a member of his family. Now Charlotte is going to hurt Anna again, burning this house down, she seems to have a bit of pyromania? and Valentin is just standing there letting her do it. What a guy, and only because he is too weak to be a real parent. I like that Kevin is aware that Valentin's and Charlotte's relationship is not healthy. I dislike that Anna is being so clueless and buying Charlotte's sweetness act.

Lord I dislike Lucy. She is a freaking snake. Like she is really concerned about Maxie's livelihood, and Sasha's, when she essentially fired Sasha and tried to hire Blaze without telling Sasha.

Wardrobe..OMG what was Lois wearing? Nothing went together.  I agree also that Laura could be dressed better. Maxie is younger and can get by a bit, but Laura, being of a certain age, should not have the same hairstyle as Esme, who is like 19, nor is it flattering to her, and am sure they could come up with more classic clothes styles for her. Jane Elliott always looks fabulous, hair and wardrobe, so elegant and appropriate. Also Felicia, Anna, Alexis, Nina, Portia, Lucy, Carly, etc, etc. The show seems to be indicating that if the women are not slender, no one cares about their hair or clothes.

OMG that look on Cyrus' face when Carly called him a monster, like it was a knife to the heart!

I love Scotty's goofiness, and that he seems to be having fun with it! No Robert, do NOT date Diane!

Edited by susannah
clarity
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Skarzero said:

As someone who likes/tolerates Carly or at least SJB & TB versions of her, I hate Carly stans so much......

Nina is just this seasons target. I think some people get wrapped up in a great actor portraying a bad character that they trick themselves into thinking the bad character is the one they should root for....and usually TPTB pull strings in favor of the character/actor and that doesn't help much in terms of viewer interpretation.....

You name it, and Carly fans have an answer for it. They're so fucking annoying. ...

I'm just like......if she was never wrong for anything she ever did then what did her character need to "grow up" from then? Like the math ain't mathing here lol 

Oh i get you. the ever loving lasting hate that Nina gets at time on Reddit and they are bending the truth and everything, and it's like. You realise I watched the entire storyline right (why, I have no idea sometimes LOL) but i think that's it. I don't think a lot of people know how to divorce the character from the actor - or. separate their feelings from what they are seeing.  (I mean we're all guilty of it LOL but not as bad I feel). 

A lot of times i will lay it all out and it gets summed up with "yeah but NINA SUCKS " and i just can't even bother anymore. 

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Kevin treating his step-grandaughter who occasionally lives in his apartment is so wrong ethically.

for burning Anna's house down?

in regards to wardobe clothing choices - i remember seeing that the actors often have the choice in what they want to wear so i figure while it might not look posh - if they feel comfortable that should be the more important thing. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I’m thinking that the prospective buyer for Windermere could be Cyrus or even Nicholas. 

I thought the same. Cyrus could lie about it being a religious (read cult) retreat or something.

Nik though, why would he want to give Ava money when he could just terrorize her? I thought he was the one who had her kidnapped at the beginning, it would’ve made more sense than having him show everyone he was alive and do nothing.

As much as I love JK, Cyrus’ Apology Tour got old fast. I do like how GF acts with him though.

Valentin, the dufus, needs as much psychiatric help as Charlotte.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Joss study partner was lurking outside while they slept?  Joss should be realizing he's creep. 

Awww the Brooklyn bridge flashback and Ned remembered it!  

Could Nikolas be buying Windermere?

• Like 3

Is there no one else in the PC-verse besides a violent mob boss that Laura might want providing any type of guidance to your grandson?

It would have been much more fun to have a MW in the LW role - YMMV. 

The only remotely compelling item about watching this father/daughter plot featuring two minor characters is that it seems to be clear of Sonny and the Carlys.  Both actors seem to be putting in an effort - so there's that.

Edited by sunnyface
carly
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Desperado said:

As much as I love JK, Cyrus’ Apology Tour got old fast. I do like how GF acts with him though.

Valentin, the dufus, needs as much psychiatric help as Charlotte.

I love "the Apology Tour!" Perfect name for it. Who is next on his list? I couldn't agree more about Valentin. Talk about the storyline getting old fast. He knows Charlotte is terrorizing Anna and does absolutely nothing. He needs therapy too, and I wish he would need the hospital when Anna finds out everything!

JMO, but isn't 15 a little old to go trick or treating? Don't teens generally go to Halloween parties instead?

I think dorm stalker dude has literally glued himself to the outside of the door so he is always there when they open it!

• Like 5

Valentin calmly sits there and lets Anna eat something that Charlotte cooked, knowing that Charlotte is a threat to Anna.  What a wuss.

I hope Charlotte strips that wallpaper when she breaks in to Anna's. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 10/31/2023 at 12:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

"This must be little Ace?" Hee. He's gigantic, Cyrus! (The baby was adorable sleeping in AP's arms.)

The writers have no idea how to write a mature relationship. Finn and Elizabeth are acting like teenagers having sex for the first time, and not just with each other. It's ridiculous. And embarrassing to watch.

It's so gross that Valentin is deliberately letting Anna walk around town terrified, all because he's too gutless to tell her his troubled daughter is behind the trashing of her hotel room. And what's grosser is that Anna probably won't cut him loose forever after a stunt like this.

Anna should be worried.  The kid didn’t shoot at her/Sonny, so there is still a good chance someone else is after her too

• Like 6
On 10/31/2023 at 8:29 PM, ciarra said:

Isn't that the definition of a front, though?  Something that looks like a legit functioning business.  Like the vinyl record shop downtown in my city that sells drugs, because there's no way they can afford that building by selling old records. 

Can't imagine Anna living in Maxie's pad.  What a dump.  They can't fix the warehouse painted brick look, but could they please take down that dreadful wallpaper?  And Maxie lived there with a broken oven?  Seriously?   

“Can't imagine Anna living in Maxie's pad”

Phrasing!

(are we still doing phrasing?)

10 hours ago, ciarra said:

Cyrus was my guess (for the Spoon Island buyer), but then it would be hard for him to pop up everywhere to fake apologize to people he has wronged.   Long commute.

Could be Dickolas.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Susannah said: "JMO, but isn't 15 a little old to go trick or treating? Don't teens generally go to Halloween parties instead?"

I just had a fabulous Halloween where a few friends and I sat out on our building's stoop and distributed candy to several hundred trick-or-treaters. Of these, most were little kids shepherded by adults, but dozens were in fact teens Charlotte's age. Maybe they were opportunistic candy-seekers on their way to or from parties, of course. 

I didn't think this was wrong, because my favourite trick-or-treating stints in my youth occurred in my college years.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

Doesn't he technically already own it? Ava inherited it because he was "dead." Since there's proof he's alive, I don't think Ava is the legal owner anymore.

Whatever. I don't really care.

11 hours ago, sunnyface said:

Is there no one else in the PC-verse besides a violent mob boss that Laura might want providing any type of guidance to your grandson?

But Sonny knows what it feels like to be abandoned by his father! It's exactly the same thing as what's going on with Spencer! At least Sonny had the sense to say he'd be available to Spencer if Spencer wanted to talk, not that he'd sit down and give him the hard truths.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Doesn't he technically already own it? Ava inherited it because he was "dead." Since there's proof he's alive, I don't think Ava is the legal owner anymore.

no - Ava got it because of the divorce. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, sunnyface said:

Laura's grandson also happens to be Sonny's nephew, and the two are close enough that Spencer might listen.

• Like 2

Not to 'apartment shame' but there's no way that Maxie's building has a doorman/24 hr security.

JK is such a delight that I cannot help but be amused by Apology Tour '23.  His chuckling 'touche' when Carly asked if he was a prison cook was the perfect line read.

Kevin looked like Charlotte was Ryan-level crazy in that last scene shot.  

I remember when Ned/Lois got married and how big a deal the show made of it, so seeing those Brooklyn Bridge shots was a great trip down memory lane.  Also, I'm almost certain Lois's math skills were a thing during her original run, so nice callback.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Kevin looked like Charlotte was Ryan-level crazy in that last scene shot.  

Yes he did. She probably burned her batch of cookies on purpose too.

I've been wondering about the way Kevin was looking at her, like he had her somewhat assessed while she lived under his roof while Valentin was traipsing around the world with Anna, and now he had the opportunity to see if he was correct about her.

He did the same with Spencer at the hospital when he called him out on the whole Ace situation.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

no - Ava got it because of the divorce. 

Oh, right. I forgot that happened before she clocked him. Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

JK is such a delight that I cannot help but be amused by Apology Tour '23.  His chuckling 'touche' when Carly asked if he was a prison cook was the perfect line read.

I don't know why Carly sneered at prison cooking. (Well, I do, but you know what I mean.) Kelly's is still a diner, even if Carly has made "improvements."

46 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I've been wondering about the way Kevin was looking at her, like he had her somewhat assessed while she lived under his roof while Valentin was traipsing around the world with Anna, and now he had the opportunity to see if he was correct about her.

He did the same with Spencer at the hospital when he called him out on the whole Ace situation.

I hope this means we see more of Kevin. He's an excellent character played by an excellent actor, and is so often the lone voice of reason. But maybe JL doesn't want to be too tied down to the show, for which I can't blame him.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Artsda said:

Joss study partner was lurking outside while they slept?  Joss should be realizing he's creep. 

Awww the Brooklyn bridge flashback and Ned remembered it!  

I wouldn't be so sure about that as he's played by Maurice Bernard's son.

20 hours ago, jacourt said:

Should Kevin know what Charlotte did? 

Laura probably told him. But should he since he's treating her and needs to keep her secrets?  I'd say yes since she's only 15, and also yes because as Ryan put in his notes, she's learned to hide herself and only show people what she wants to show them.

18 hours ago, Daisy said:

for burning Anna's house down?

For trashing Anna's hotel room, I don't think that Valentin believes that burning the house was Charlotte.

The excuse to Charlotte was "you've had a difficult year". And of course right now Charlotte will do anything that Valentin wants. In public that is.

18 hours ago, Desperado said:

Nik though, why would he want to give Ava money when he could just terrorize her?

So she doesn't sell Wyndermere to someone else.

• Like 2

Wow, Joss, think much of yourself that you'll have to fight off the drunk frat boys hitting on you?

Is Anna organizing WSB yearbooks? LOL.

Color me pleasantly shocked and surprised that Anna looked through the peephole before opening the door.

3 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Michael is a dick. 

Ugh, he sure is. He sees how much Wiley loves Nina, yet because of his (Michael's) own pettiness and idiocy, he's willing to rip that relationship away. Gah. I hope he asphyxiates in his costume.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1