Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Also, I hope Carly has to get a job and actually work, not just loaf about talking about work.

with Cam off at Stanford, there is probably an opening for a server at Kellys.... which is her family restaurant anyway  (still is, isn't it?)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

It bothers me SO much that she's using the Spencer surname

The way she said it was cringe too. She’s been going by Spencer for less than a year so that line wasn’t giving what she thought it was. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
50 minutes ago, DanaK said:

It would be interesting for her to take over Kelly's and run it. It would be a downgrade for her (in her mind) but it's honest work, the place is popular and it was her aunt's (do I have that right?) before it was her mother's

She'll change it to Chez Kelly: Bistro and Eatery, increase the prices and compete with the MC restaurant and its 5 star chef.

On a whole another topic, I really can't stand Violet. Talk about a kid the show did not need.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
21 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Lol she had a job at the Metro Court for years.

Running it, which would have given her the skills to get a pretty cushy job even without an education. But I'm sure that we will be expected to feel sorry for her that she can no longer be unemployed with a fulltime nanny and millions of dollars* stashed away.

* at 3 % interest, $5,000,000 would bring in $150,000 a year. Nice work if you can get it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

On a whole another topic, I really can't stand Violet. Talk about a kid the show did not need.

It’s probably just me but it kinda creeps me out that they are still writing her like a precocious 4 year old when she clearly isn’t one. She’s been on the show for 4 years already. It’s like a freaking cartoon where the kids never age. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

Good gravy. Drew telling Carly that he loves her. Of course, every man who loves Carly forgets all about his children, puts her first and above all else. His head is so far up her cooch, it's just pathetic.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8

I’m pretty much giving up on couples on this show. Seems like the only ones who get focus and good stuff are couples/characters I hate, namely Carly and her children. Everyone else gets constant obstacles or ignored even though a lot of them have chemistry. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Joss about to have sex with Dex followed with Carly having sex with Drew was not gross or creepy at all.

I feel sorry for JK being brought back to have his character interact with Drew. Cyrus might end up killing himself.

• Like 5
  • LOL 9

Giant baby looking at Portia when she talks about how hard it is to parent a baby -- perfect judging look.

"Spencer is clearly very devoted  to his baby brother." Devoted to taking him away from his mother you should say.

"...and set goals for the baby." He's a few months old, you don't set goals for babies that young.

If the biker bar is really that rough, why are Sam and Dante there? Also they seem to do nothing but go on dates the two of them alone. Who is looking after Scout since her father is abasing himself for Carly? Are the three kids at Monica's nightcare? Or is Danny babysitting again?

Carly castigates herself endlessly about Drew paying for her crime; she'll do anything but be responsible herself.

Drew says that this plan is the best overall. Sure, sacrifice Scout and make Sam sole parent so Donna doesn't stay with Sonny and Nina.

"I love you Carly and I wish we didn't have to spend our last night rehashing all the things that we can't change." You can't possibly hate this endless rehash more than I do. And still they leave me cold.

Cyrus sighting! Maybe he will finally make Drew a little interesting.

Violet is 8, at that age I had been playing with matches for years.

How is Violet exhausted? She ordered in everything.

Liz: "I don't know how Epiphany did this for so long." Me: by bullying everyone .

Ava/Austin could have be a good thing, now I can't stand their scenes. It's also not fair to Sonny, and maybe dangerous to Avery and Nina, not to tell him that someone is targeting him. Unbelievably stupid plot.

Carly/Drew, Ava/Austin, Joss/Dex, Portia/Curtis, Trina/Spencer/Esme, Sam/Dante, Liz/Finn ... I am invested in none of these couples. At least the latter two I don't mind.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Violet is 8, at that age I had been playing with matches for years.

Doesn't play with matches but orders things off her father's cell phone like a pro. Obnoxious kid.

• Like 7
(edited)

Incoming Sprina rant from a fan: 

Well, if GH wanted me to lose all interest in Sprina, they achieved their goal today! I’m done. I’m no Dex fan but I didn’t like Spencer punching Dex. Just why?! I didn’t like the forced fight btw them. I didn’t like the presentation of Spencer where he can’t hold his own at all. If you can’t fight even a little, why are you always throwing punches?!?!? It makes him look pathetic. I didn’t like the forced drama btw Sprina because of Dex……again! I didn’t like Portia’s schemes with Esme though if that was the only thing that happened today, it would have been fine. I didn’t like Esme at Spencer’s door. I didn’t like the previews. 

I fundamentally dislike every step they’ve taken for this couple since Greenland. It’s gone steadily downhill since they returned from their adventure. I know soaps can’t just give you the couple you want to see but these writers’ track records suck. They can’t write for crap and drag everything out to the point no one cares anymore! I’m not like the ChaLynn fans. I’m not waiting a year plus for my couple. I’m just not doing it! 

I wouldn’t mind Portia’s schemes if Sprina was solid but we can’t even get that! How is this entertaining?!?! 

——————

In other thoughts: 

- Missed most of the Jolt stuff but saw and liked the kiss! 
- Muted Crew

- Saw chemistry with Sante for the first time. I enjoyed their commentary on the YAs.

- Muted Jex. 
- Saw only the bit with Portia suggesting Spencer/Esme go to parenting classes together. 🙄 Again, I wouldn’t mind this so much if Sprina was the on solid ground 

- Forgot about Fiz. I’m just not into them but I hope their fans liked their scenes.

Edited by lala2
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Dex getting the best of Spencer in these fights is also ludicrous when you look at both of them.   Honestly, it's easier for me to believe Carly has the best coochie in town.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
41 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Doesn't play with matches but orders things off her father's cell phone like a pro. Obnoxious kid.

sounds like something Spencer might have taught her, if they ever interacted...  Didn't he buy international plane tickets that way when he was young?  (not 8, but still...)

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Dex getting the best of Spencer in these fights is also ludicrous when you look at both of them. 

Not to me. Dex was in the military and has some training in fighting and self-defense. Spencer has...what, exactly? Sparring at the gym? It's not the same thing. And sucker-punching is for losers, Spencer. What an asshole. Good for Trina for reading him the riot act.

Why is Portia sticking her nose into how Esmé and Spencer raise (or don't raise) the giant cute baby?

Carly wringing her hands about Drewfus going to prison was hilarious. Gee, it sucks when you decide not to take take responsibility, doesn't it?

I'm so tired of Ava and Austin whining about Mason. DO SOMETHING. 

It's always nice to see Cyrus, but it was pretty WTF after the Drewfus/Carly love scene. I hope Cyrus passive-agressively makes Drewfus's time in Pentonville unbearable. (PA so that Cyrus can't be punished.)

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Not to me. Dex was in the military and has some training in fighting and self-defense. Spencer has...what, exactly? Sparring at the gym? It's not the same thing.

Idk, it’s part of the reason I think Dex is a huge miscast. A short military stint doesn’t necessarily mean he’d beat people in hand to hand combat. Think it’s because they’re trying to sell him as a big tough mob enforcer. He looks pretty tiny and doesn’t look like he’d pack a punch with that body. NAC had to stoop down just so he’d reach him in the scene today. Spencer has 6 inches and a lot of muscle on Dex. 

• Like 9
13 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Who thinks these simultaneous  mother/daughter love scenes are cute because this isn’t the first episode they’ve done this

Whoever is editing this dreck apparently. The writing is trash, let's edit the episode in a way that will make intelligent viewers gag.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Why is Portia sticking her nose into how Esmé and Spencer raise (or don't raise) the giant cute baby?

She is trying to push Spencer and Esme together to keep Trina from him.

My mother used to say "they don't give out PhDs for common sense". Apparently they don't give out M.D.s either.

Spencer punching Dex for saying that they could get into trouble if the police find out that the evidence was faked is glacially stupid because that's exactly what Spencer himself told Trina at the bank -- that if the police find out that the evidence was faked, Esme will never be convicted. Faugh! Don't they watch their own show?

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Spencer punching Dex for saying that they could get into trouble if the police find out that the evidence was faked is glacially stupid because that's exactly what Spencer himself told Trina at the bank -- that if the police find out that the evidence was faked, Esme will never be convicted. Faugh! Don't they watch their own show?

I don’t think they’re trying. They want Spencer to be a hothead for no reason so Trina gets frustrated with him. If they really wanted a feud that made sense, they’d have Spencer find out that Dex was conspiring against Sonny but they are bubble wrapping Joss so that can’t happen. 

• Like 16
38 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Dex was conspiring against Sonny

Not anymore. Now Dex is Sonny's sekrit protector.

53 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

She is trying to push Spencer and Esme together to keep Trina from him.

I figured, but the scene kind of came out of nowhere for me that I wondered a bit. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Idk, it’s part of the reason I think Dex is a huge miscast. A short military stint doesn’t necessarily mean he’d beat people in hand to hand combat. Think it’s because they’re trying to sell him as a big tough mob enforcer. He looks pretty tiny and doesn’t look like he’d pack a punch with that body. NAC had to stoop down just so he’d reach him in the scene today. Spencer has 6 inches and a lot of muscle on Dex. 

Yep!  All of this.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, CeChase said:
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Yep!  All of this.

While Spencer has the undoubtable physical advantage, he's not using it properly. That's where training comes in: Dev knows how to use his limited size (hee) to make his punches count.

Can this show stop with the love scenes for joss and dex? Dex gets into a bar fight  and then that turns  them on. How is violence sexy?

So is this the end of Trina and Spencer?

• Like 2

I know that many folks are enamored of Spencer and Trina but those two just leave me cold. I have never seen the attraction or heat with them. Enough already. Let’s move on, please.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I’m always happy to watch Jeff Kober. 

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Cyrus sighting! Maybe he will finally make Drew a little interesting.

We can only hope. Drew was way more interesting as Victor’s prisoner than anything else he’s done. Maybe the beard will even make a comeback.

• Like 13
(edited)

This show is doing a great job of making me dislike pretty much all of the characters ~even ones I used to like! Can't watch Ava be so stupid. Don't care for Austin's 3rd new personality. Nina has crossed my line by gaslighting a neurologically impaired Ned. So has Portia for using her medical practice to manipulate Esme. I've had enough of Spencer and his pathetic punches. Don't want to watch Finn and Liz be coy and flirt AGAIN when I already did this for like a freaking year the first time. Hate that BLQ has learned NOTHING and is now betraying Maxie. Love a witty barb, but why are they making Tracy so super bitchy in almost every single scene with anyone. And, finally, sorry to be petty, but I can't help but notice Moss is getting too big for his planter. Can wardrobe not get him a planter that fits?!

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 6
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was fast-forwarding past the Crew sex and almost missed a Cyrus sighting! I’m glad to see JK. I hope he’s here for awhile.

I was a Sprina fan, but they’re losing their spark. At this point, I feel like there are just too many obstacles, and they’re not even good obstacles. Stupid Jex should not be an obstacle. 

Good for Ava for calling out Austin’s “nice guy” act. It painted him in a different light. I don’t believe the kiss was genuine. It seemed skeevy and manipulative. I think we’re going to see more and more of villain Austin. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Were they trying to imply that the YAs was at that seedy bar because they were trying to drink underage somewhere where no one knows them? Minus Dex I’m assuming. I can’t remember how old they’re supposed to be but I thought that’s what they getting with Dante’s comment about not knowing who was 21 from that group and Joss scurrying away. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ljr said:

Probably not, but the writing draws things out for so long that by the time something happens, many no longer care.

As said, they did get some mainstream exposure with the People article. I do think, however, the end of this VERSION of Spencer/Trina may be on borrowed time, what with NAC landing that Ryan Murphy show gig.

Still, this pairing survived a Trina recast. Should NAC bolt when his contract ends (and why wouldn't he?), if casting is done carefully, maybe it can also survive a recast Spencer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

For some reason, I get the feeling that Spencer picked the fight with Dex on purpose. It might have something to do with the fake evidence and the fact that he and Esmé are alone together. Not quite sure how to pull it all together yet but aI’m working on it. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, CeChase said:

Dex getting the best of Spencer in these fights is also ludicrous when you look at both of them.   Honestly, it's easier for me to believe Carly has the best coochie in town.  

Dex is veteran from the military. He has all types of training. It's not a surprise he can take Spencer in any fight. 

Why does Spencer keep trying to fight the military veteran in the first place.  Dante wasn't wrong either, Spencer is an excon and uncle Victor isn't around to free him from jail now.  He's lucky Dex is trying to be restrained due to Sonny. 

Trina always expecting different or better from Spencer is stupid. He is who he is.  The same boy who did all those things to Ava and brought Esme to help him. I'm tired of their entire relationship. He did nothing to show he changed or is this better person. 

Of course Drew didn't spend his last night with his daughter but with the person who caused him to be jailed in the first place. Drew really has no care for his own kid.  

Cyrus? I guess he and Drew will be sharing scenes. 

The matchmaker scenes were bad, after all Liz did they should end this with Finn. Out her with Austin.   Violet ordering the pizza off the app was funny. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Still wondering about the two sets of extra "doors" in the Carson bedroom.  The way they are lit in yellow looks like an old fashioned elevator, or a school that is closed for the evening. 

sonny-learns-carly-jason-wed-gh-abc.jpg?

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I do think, however, the end of this VERSION of Spencer/Trina may be on borrowed time, what with NAC landing that Ryan Murphy show gig.

I agree, and that’s another reason why I’m disengaging now. It will take another year for this version to get on the same page, and then NAC will be gone. I’m not going to invest any more time in a pairing that’s going nowhere. I did that with Nava and got burned bad! I’m not doing it with Sprina too. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, lala2 said:

I agree, and that’s another reason why I’m disengaging now. It will take another year for this version to get on the same page, and then NAC will be gone. I’m not going to invest any more time in a pairing that’s going nowhere. I did that with Nava and got burned bad! I’m not doing it with Sprina too. 

I will never understand why they decided to use Sprina for prop duty.  They almost had sex in Greenland, and had been building up to that.  It's not like they lost their heads and it was a one-off.  But now they've been back for months and just dropped the idea?  Like oh, I know we are in love and almost had sex, but now that we are back and around safe bedrooms, we both keep forgetting to have sex.  This is some really strange, strange writing.

But they are always up for Dex and Jex propping duty.  I don't blame you for bailing.  

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 10
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, CeChase said:

Dex getting the best of Spencer in these fights is also ludicrous when you look at both of them.  Honestly, it's easier for me to believe Carly has the best coochie in town.  

12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

While Spencer has the undoubtable physical advantage, he's not using it properly. That's where training comes in: Dev knows how to use his limited size (hee) to make his punches count.

That's how I see it too. Spencer's knowledge of fighting is spoiled-rich-kid level. And it would be late in the day for me to start caring about implausible outcomes of fights on this show based on the sizes of the participants. I've been watching Maurice Benard beat other men up for years (maybe more in the 1990s and 2000s than now), when some of his female love interests look as though they could take him. Jonathan Jackson's assaults on Tyler Christopher in the early days of Lucky/Nik were good for a laugh too. 

I don't mind Dex. Anything I have against him is guilt by association, in that anyone who voluntarily has a relationship with Josslyn has one strike against him. Even Cameron's standing took a hit. Evan Hofer isn't as good an actor as NAC, but he's satisfactory for a daytime young-hunk role. I'd put him on about the same level as Josh Swickard, Tajh Bellow, Ryan Paevey, Bryan Craig, etc.

Edited by Asp Burger
Fixing Paevy's first name.
  • Like 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

That's how I see it too. Spencer's knowledge of fighting is spoiled-rich-kid level. And it would be late in the day for me to start caring about implausible outcomes of fights on this show based on the sizes of the participants. I've been watching Maurice Benard beat other men up for years (maybe more in the 1990s and 2000s than now), when some of his female love interests look as though they could take him. Jonathan Jackson's assaults on Tyler Christopher in the early days of Lucky/Nik were good for a laugh too. 

I don't mind Dex. Anything I have against him is guilt by association, in that anyone who voluntarily has a relationship with Josslyn has one strike against him. Even Cameron's standing took a hit. Evan Hofer isn't as good an actor as NAC, but he's satisfactory for a daytime young-hunk role. I'd put him on about the same level as Josh Swickard, Tajh Bellow, Nathan Paevy, Bryan Craig, etc.

"I've been watching Maurice Benard beat other men up for years (maybe more in the 1990s and 2000s than now), when some of his female love interests look as though they could take him."

I'm dying.  LMAO

I agree about Evan, he's not the issue.  The writing is IMO.  And Joss doesn't help matters.   As for the fights between Dex and Spencer, it's the way NAC bulked up.  To me it looks ridiculous, and it always will.  And nothing is going to change that.  But I do take your point about how unrealistic the fights have been in the past too. 

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, CeChase said:

Another senseless Sprina fight to prop Jex, and Crew sex. 

Skip day. 

It’s so obvious what they are doing. I found myself wondering if these scenes were written right after the Sprina leap got so much attention.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

For some reason, I get the feeling that Spencer picked the fight with Dex on purpose. It might have something to do with the fake evidence and the fact that he and Esmé are alone together. Not quite sure how to pull it all together yet but aI’m working on it. 

I have a feeling you’re working on pulling it together more than the writers are. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, ljr said:

It is for me. I've been a fan from pretty much day one, but today finally lost me. I'm just so done with the lop-sided writing. And the obvious set-up crap they're doing with Esme. I was literally thinking the other day that Spencer should just break up with her because Trina spends most of their time nagging him.

And yesterday's ep, what happened... I just can't. Was Spencer an ass? Yes. Was he barely standing up, in lots of pain, clearly hurt, having difficulty breathing? Yes. What did Trina do? Yell at him some more and walk out on him.

L-O-U-S-Y girlfriend. So, congrats, show, I've given up on Sprina. But guess what, I still loathe Joss and find Dex nothing more than a useless piece of wood who makes Jason Morgan look a dynamic three-dimensional character in comparison, and I want Jex to DIAF.

Now Sprina has become just one more thing I will FF.

• Like 11
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, CeChase said:

But they are always up for Dex and Jex propping duty.  I don't blame you for bailing.  

Which is extra weird since Dex/Joss have nothing going on. All of their obstacles were in Joss’ head and now they’re both content with Dex being a mob lackey. 

• Like 7
13 hours ago, ljr said:

Can this show stop with the love scenes for joss and dex? Dex gets into a bar fight  and then that turns  them on. How is violence sexy?

lets not forget she grew up in Sonny's world....  its what she knows.

• Like 3

I have a running theory that the writers think it’s ok to put couples who got good feedback through the wringer or to have them show up for a few minutes a month for fluff scenes because they already have fans who will root for them. It’s the only thing that makes sense for why they treat those pairings the way they do while giving the moon to couples that seem to either be outright  unpopular or snoozeworthy. Goes back to Frons comments about “training the audience” to like what they want to promote. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 3
58 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I have a running theory that the writers think it’s ok to put couples who got good feedback through the wringer or to have them show up for a few minutes a month for fluff scenes because they already have fans who will root for them. It’s the only thing that makes sense for why they treat those pairings the way they do while giving the moon to couples that seem to either be outright  unpopular or snoozeworthy. Goes back to Frons comments about “training the audience” to like what they want to promote. 

Oh gosh I never heard that Frons statement.  that is really offensive honestly. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it. That's why the "Dex is military trained, he should win every fight" explanation doesn't resonate with me. IRL? Definitely. No question. But GH has never given a damn about any of that, and they still don't care today. It's about who's the writer's pet. It's fairly reasonable to believe the only reason Dex wins fights is because he's banging Carly's plot-armored daughter. His military experience, how ever limited, is beside the point. As if the show would allow Joss to have a boyfriend that gets his ass kicked.

I hate myself for even putting this out there, but if Spencer ever lost his mind & fell in love with Joss, he'd probably be more powered up than Popeye the Sailor Man after a can of spinach. But he loves Trina so no bones are thrown to him in that regard. 

Edited by Skarzero
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

I feel bad for everyone who had their Sprina hopes crushed. It used to be super couples were propped up by fans and the writers/producers happily jumped on that bandwaggon. Now, the concept of super couples is essentially dead. This has good points, like creating more possibilities and not saddling actors with the same partner forever no matter what happens BTS, etc. But it also means the rooting is very temporary.

I stopped being into Sprina during Sydney’s last scenes because Spencer was being, as always, a damn jerk and I thought Trina deserved better.

Nothing that I’m seeing on screen now has changed my opinion. NAC might have good presence and play his role well, but it has never been enough for me to overcome the writing of his character.

Also, very shallowly, Tabyanna looks so small in the shots next to NAC who bulked up lately, it always takes me out of their scenes. Better production could make it work, but that’s not GH.

I really want Trina to get own storylines and a decent love interest and not just be a pawn in the Cassadine/Corinthos universe.

Yes, I know, I’m hoping for too much. Sigh…

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1