Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Drew and Carly’s plan is one of the dumbest ones I’ve heard in a long time. Let’s say they do find something on Tracy and use it to blackmail Ned? How is he going to magically make the charges go away for them? 

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Drew and Carly’s plan is one of the dumbest ones I’ve heard in a long time. Let’s say they do find something on Tracy and use it to blackmail Ned? How is he going to magically make the charges go away for them? 

because he has connections. so he could grease some wheels and get it dropped. which he's trying to do without being backmailed. 

• Like 2

Did Sonny fire Diane and I missed it? If not, it’s a serious ethical violation to tell one client to give up another client to save themselves. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Did Sonny fire Diane and I missed it? If not, it’s a serious ethical violation to tell one client to give up another client to save themselves. 

He didn't fire her. It's more like she fired him or Michael told her to leave Sonny or something like that. 

Sonny doesn't have friends or allies. Pretty sure it's bad for a mob boss.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I think Carly got Diane in the divorce.

And, that ethical violation is why she told them that she couldn't represent both Carly and Drew.

Edited by Katy M
  • Useful 1

I liked nuKristina. This is probably an UO but Lexi was hit or miss for me. She was great in small doses or giving background snark but she was really bad in her bigger adult SLs, esp her coming out arc and DOD. I only truly enjoyed her in that first storyline with Keifer. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think Carly got Diane in the divorce.

And, that ethical violation is why she told them that she couldn't represent both Carly and Drew.

I did miss that so thanks for the update. Seems like a boneheaded move on Diane’s part considering how money obsessed she is. Sonny was her biggest client who always needs a lawyer for contracts and other aspects of his business beyond when he got arrested. Carly only needed a lawyer for her fairly smooth divorce and recent legal troubles. 

Sam: Kristina doesn't know what she's getting into. (Try not putting her down and helping her learn Sam, she's smart, she'll get it.)

I've fundraised for a couple of non-profits and Kristina is right, you have to have something to show people before you start asking them for money. Sam is really being bitchy here.

Alexis: "She's always going to hate me more."  LOL

I would feel more invested in the Molly endometriosis arc but I know what's coming. The writing is quite good and so is the acting.

Someone needs to remind Diane that she's Sonny's lawyer, and worked for him before she worked for Carly. Sonny's money provided her with those expensive designer clothes and classy lifestyle.

Drew: "Carly doesn't deserve any of this."  Me: She deserves all of it.

How is Michael out of it because he owns no stock in Aurora? He was CEO at the time and it was his mother who stood to gain.

How about Carly admits guilt  and explains that she was just trying to help out her son and didn't know that she was committing insider trading and see if they can work out a deal? It's her first offence.

Nina: Why shouldn't Carly pay? Ava: Because she's Carly.  (Spoken from the show's EPs)

I slept through Curtis/Drew/Portia/Jordan.

• Like 5
  • Love 5

Sonny asked Diane to represent Carly for him. Basically he lent Diane to Carly, that's why there were scenes a couple weeks ago when Diane was telling Sonny about the case, but Diane told him she could only share so much. Just because she was Sonny's lawyer didn't mean that she could tell him everything that was happening in Carly's case because in this matter she was her lawyer, and it was privileged information.

• Useful 1

My favourite part was 

"They are making it Insider Trading." it's not a pie. you can't MAKE it into insider trading. it is or it is not. and in this case it is. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I would feel more invested in the Molly endometriosis arc but I know what's coming. The writing is quite good and so is the acting.

When TJ was asking Molly why she didn't go to the doctor when she was feeling so poorly, I wish he'd instead have told her he was sorry she felt that it was something she felt she had to put up with. That's a big factor with a lot of women—pain becomes commonplace enough that you live with it. I know she said that the pain wasn't terrible all the time, but pain shouldn't have to be tolerated. I also wish she'd said she wasn't sure a doctor would do anything about it, because that is sadly very common too. "Oh, you have pain with your period? Take an Advil and it will go away."

It's mildly disappointing that Molly is getting a diagnosis so quickly. It can take years for women to be taken seriously and finally get someone who will listen and  try to figure out what's going on.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Daisy said:

My favourite part was 

"They are making it Insider Trading." it's not a pie. you can't MAKE it into insider trading. it is or it is not. and in this case it is. 

I legit do  not understand what the writers are doing here.  If they wanted this story to be about Nina, YET AGAIN, being "the bad guy" they should have had her frame Carly for something.  But instead they had Carly actually commit the crime but are now acting like "nothing to see here, move along."  

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I legit do  not understand what the writers are doing here.  If they wanted this story to be about Nina, YET AGAIN, being "the bad guy" they should have had her frame Carly for something.  But instead they had Carly actually commit the crime but are now acting like "nothing to see here, move along."  

Haha! When Diane said to Carly that there was something else she could do to help get out of the insider trading box, they went to commercial and I worried that when they came back the option would be "blame it on Nina!" :-)

At least Diane did say that the SEC doesn't really care about your emotions, so saying you only did it for <whatever self-serving or generous reason you toss in> doesn't matter.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Maybe they're trying to undo the whole thing? As in, someone realized that Carly and Drew did commit insider trading and now everything is being written to walk the whole thing back? It's not being done successfully, but that is one of the few reasons I can come up with this complete nonsense we're seeing.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That's a big factor with a lot of women—pain becomes commonplace enough that you live with it. I know she said that the pain wasn't terrible all the time, but pain shouldn't have to be tolerated. I also wish she'd said she wasn't sure a doctor would do anything about it, because that is sadly very common too. "Oh, you have pain with your period? Take an Advil and it will go away."

It's mildly disappointing that Molly is getting a diagnosis so quickly. It can take years for women to be taken seriously and finally get someone who will listen and  try to figure out what's going on.

As someone w/wicked bad cramps, including severe lower back pain, I also thought it was something you just deal with as a woman. I went from Tylenol to Excedrin to Advil to Alleve. Just pop a pill (or five), take a sick day, and it will pass. I think a lot of women do that. 

I know many don't care about this plot, but that's why I like it. It's very relatable for me. 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 9
  • Hugs 2
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Maybe they're trying to undo the whole thing? As in, someone realized that Carly and Drew did commit insider trading and now everything is being written to walk the whole thing back? It's not being done successfully, but that is one of the few reasons I can come up with this complete nonsense we're seeing.

It would have been easier if they let the whole thing die. The insider trading was the reason Drew and Carly couldn't be seen together in public, which was the dumbest plot point to slow down this horrible relationship.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

the same. It would have been nice to have her actually struggle to get a diagnosis on something because it really takes forever to get bad periods to be addressed as that.

7 minutes ago, lala2 said:

As someone w/wicked bad cramps, including severe lower back pain, I also thought it was something you just deal with as a woman. I went from Tylenol to Excedrin to Advil to Alleve. Just pop a pill (or five), take a sick day, and it will pass. I think a lot of women do that. 

I know many don't care about this plot, but that's why I like it. It's very

the same for me. I get like hot flashes (I am going to have such a wonderful time with menopause I can tell), massive cramps, nausea the whole 9 yards and I've learned to deal with it. and I mean I'm  Canadian so I can see a doctor for free - but what are Americans gonna do? 

and i mean - two years ago I nearly died because my doctors weren't taking my period seriously - they simply stated It was stress because of covid and didn't think to do any sort of exams or tests to see why i was bleeding so heavy - and then the scarier part of why my periods weren't stopping at all.  I needed to get blood & iron transfusion because i had lost so much blood and I still suffer from being not treated properly. 

this is why i like the medical storylines on the soaps because it does bring some sort of awareness and lets people talk.  I kind of wish that it focused more on the search for a diagnosis vs. zeroing in on the baby thing. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 11

I used to lap up the Drew/Curtis scenes back when BM was in the role.

Now we have Drewfus and Curtis is not the character he was. I never want them to share scenes again. Two douchebag preaching to one another. One wants to get out of a crime he committed, the other one is talking about people being dishonest while a mobster is using his club as a front for illegal gambling which let's call it what it really is. A money laundering operation.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Quoting   @dubbel zout That's a big factor with a lot of women—pain becomes commonplace enough that you live with it. I know she said that the pain wasn't terrible all the time, but pain shouldn't have to be tolerated.Glad they are telling this story too, and agree with yu about how quickly she got her diagnosis.

Exactly.  No one ever said to me,  "that sounds pretty bad- mine aren't quite like that." because women have such high thresholds for what is "too painful."  And doctors don't (or didn't) quiz me too deeply about the bad abdominal cramps on the right side of my body, that I complained about.  Cue too many years later:  huge ovarian cyst from endometriosis and now I lack an ovary.  

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Hugs 8
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Exactly.  No one ever said to me,  "that sounds pretty bad- mine aren't quite like that." because women have such high thresholds for what is "too painful."  And doctors don't (or didn't) quiz me too deeply about the bad abdominal cramps on the right side of my body, that I complained about.  Cue too many years later:  huge ovarian cyst from endometriosis and now I lack an ovary.  

A lot of doctors are asses. It's in your head, the pain is not that bad. 

My pain was so bad that I couldn't walk. One doctor told me I had mono and the other told me I pulled a muscle. 

The whole pain should be tolerated is one of those things that's transmitted from one generation to the next to the point where we learn to dismiss the way we feel as it's probably nothing, push through it. 

Molly got her diagnosis very quickly because it's a soap. Most women, it takes years to diagnose endometriosis. It took them 2 years to figure out what was wrong with me. Meanwhile, I missed almost 2 years of university because the pain was debilitating, because I was constantly bleeding. One OBGYN told me they'd have to remove my uterus, another one told me they'd have to remove my endometrioma. The last one was like let's do a laparoscopy. 

I find it shocking how many people on this board suffer(ed) from endometriosis and how similar the experiences are. It makes me angry because it doesn't have to be like this.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Molly got her diagnosis very quickly because it's a soap.

I don't need to see endless doctor's appointments, but it would have been nice to have a throwaway line about how the doctor Molly saw at GH finally was able to give her a diagnosis. At least acknowledge that women's symptoms are way too often dismissed and it can take years to get an accurate diagnosis.

• Like 5

and of course it's worse if you are overweight because then nothing is wrong with you that a little diet or exercise can't cure. (let's ignore the fact that you eat like a bird because actually eating takes more energy then you want to expend in your day and so the weight that you gained is actually because you aren't eating enough PLUS the hormones that your doctor is waving off. and that you are SO tired that the even the thought of lifting a weight sends you right off to bed). 

I really don't trust doctors. for obvious reasons. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 6
20 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I find it shocking how many people on this board suffer(ed) from endometriosis and how similar the experiences are. It makes me angry because it doesn't have to be like this.

I had excruciating period pain for 7 yrs before the pill, but no endo. On my bad days, I often had soaps on background. Maybe there’s a link there?

It’s horrific to me that 40 yrs later, then pill is still the only “best way” offered by the medical system, to avoid life altering period pain.

On topic: I thought KMansi meshed well with her mom and her sister, and so far I like her in the role. I’m just not interested in the story.

Shallow on topic: again I ask, what is up with Ava’s look? The hair, the earrings - quite unflattering.

• Like 7

I wish the endometriosis storyline was less fertility focused. Soaps can have an impact when a medical storyline is done well. The story has basically been, “let’s have a baby!”, “well we tried once and we’re not pregnant so let’s get medical testing!”, “oh noes Endometriosis 😞”. I don’t need to see two years of doctors appointments to address pain they don’t believe you actually have until you’re wheeled in emergency surgery with an ovarian cyst that’s hemorrhaging into your abdominal cavity (that year really sucked), but maybe a little more to the story than what we’re getting. I feel like they just wanted to do yet another baby story, wrap it into a medical issue story and maybe one of the writers saw a Facebook ad about Endometriosis and just went with that. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't need to see endless doctor's appointments, but it would have been nice to have a throwaway line about how the doctor Molly saw at GH finally was able to give her a diagnosis. At least acknowledge that women's symptoms are way too often dismissed and it can take years to get an accurate diagnosis.

I think that the approach to the storyline is super dumb. Molly went to see a doctor not because of the pain she was in but because she was disappointed that she wasn't pregnant. 

They always say to actively try to get pregnant for a year before going to a doctor if it's not happening. 

Plus the only thing they ever trotted Molly out for had to do with the DA's office or a trial. We don't know what was going on in her personal life because the show wasn't interested in her that way.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

The SEC is coming at us hard for whatever reason.

The reason is YOUR EXTREME, UNDENIABLE GUILT AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I mean, I guess I get the confusion given how pal-y the cops in this town are with known mobsters, but for f--- sake.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Daisy said:

because he [Ned] has connections. so he could grease some wheels and get it dropped. which he's trying to do without being backmailed. 

Didn't Michael bribe someone to get those charges brought against Nina?  We're to believe he wouldn't do the same here?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Desperado said:

Shallow on topic: again I ask, what is up with Ava’s look? The hair, the earrings - quite unflattering.

Most of the time Ava looks absolutely fabulous and the some times her hair looks frizzy and flat. I'm not sure why but today was surely an off day.

• Like 3

Reading all these posts about your diagnoses makes me so sad and angry. I was very fortunate that my gyn wa wonderful. I went to her for anything and I do mean ANYTHING. When I was between primary care physicians, I used my GYN as my PCP. When I complained of painful periods, she asked questions. She suggested it could be endometriosis and did a biopsy to check. And at the time, it had to be done WITHOUT anesthesia. Let me tell you, I have never experienced pain like that and never want to again! Thankfully it wasn’t endo. But she wanted to rule it out. I always said I won’t see a male GYN because they simply have no idea what it is to be a woman. They physically can’t experience the same things so they can’t relate. I’m sure there are some amazing male doctors. Just as there are likely awful female GYNs. I just won’t go to a man. 

on topic, I think (hope) TJ is just still grappling with the issue himself, and his knee jerk reaction is ‘why didn’t you tell me?’ Or ‘why didn’t you see a doctor?’ He made a point of saying that she doesn’t normally dismiss  medical issues so it’s natural to wonder why she felt she had to ignore the pain during sex and when she had her period. A throwaway line about how she did go to the doctor and was told it’s nothing would have helped. But I don’t think he was wrong in questioning her. He loves her and is concerned. I too wish this story wasn’t about fertility, but we know Frank has baby rabies. I’m pleasantly surprised he didn’t write SM’s pregnancy into Sasha’s story.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The funniest part of Spencer's "I know Joss" questions was citing "Children of the Corn" as her favorite movie.  Not so much because of the semi-stupid corn obsession reference she had, but because of the seriousness of how Spencer stated it.  

LOL. A movie filled with little zombie children who have spent their lives in a cult. That does seem like something Joss would get into.

• LOL 6
7 hours ago, Daisy said:

Oh new Krissy starts today (She didn't even get Announcer Voice Dude). 

Why does she look familiar? 

She's Abigail Dimera from Days of our Lives. 

If Joss finds out giving up Sonny will save her mom and save Dex in one video shot, she'd use that footage herself. 

So sick of Drew attacking Ned and blaming him to everyone.  

Curtis really over his marriage fast. 

Portia was right all along about Jordan. Then Jordans going to sit there and let her thank her after she was just cheating. Jordan got what she wanted. Let her have Curtis. Free Portia from them both. 

Loved seeing Kate as Kristina. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

What a dump Molly and TJ live in, from the tacky fake bricks to the random racks of junk cluttering up the place.  Where are they going to put their octuplets when they arrive in eight months?  A cheap recycled set, even for young professionals starting out.  I'd also like to see M and TJ showing any interest in kids, particularly Scout.

• Like 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Desperado said:

On topic: I thought KMansi meshed well with her mom and her sister, and so far I like her in the role. I’m just not interested in the story.

Sad to see Sam not up to the acting challenge as she has been hiding behind the cover of the amazing Dante for quite some time.  KMansi has nice biceps but the color of her nail polish ain't working.

Looks like moss is enjoying the arrival of El Nino.  And that partially decapitated statue in Sonny's living room always ranks a smile. Never noticed Carly's sun room before - new?

Nice to see Ava's mention of Charlie's as Nina steps into the Julian role.

Hopefully during their down time, the writers take some time to resolve some of their mistakes such as the following:

1. Joss and Michael with their inexplicably sudden Sonny hate.   To be sure Sonny is major slime but at least provide a modicum of a scintilla of the event/circumstance in their sudden 180.

2. Why wouldn't Nina be the primary suspect in any adverse action involving Carly?

3. Having a compromised esquire repeat 'mike doesn't own stocks, so he skates' does not make it so.  Micheal Corinthos held an executive level position in a public company despite embracing Sonny Corinthos - the baddest mob boss on the east coast.  The Board of Directors did not have an issue?  Michael's positive relationship with Sonny would never pass any muster during any mandated  3 year audit by the PCAOB especially w/r/t fiduciary certification of an audit or signing a quarterly/annual filing.  Michael has been greatly harmed and compromised in his dealings with the legitimate biz world by his relationship with Sonny - THIS is what should be on my screen [eta - although CD and EM are competent soap actors - the characters need a major reboot].

Edited by sunnyface
talisker
  • Like 7
(edited)

Fast-forwarding through the parts of this show you're not interested in really does make it more bearable. Today, that included Curtis and Drew (insufferable, hypocritical douches), Molly and TJ (baby rabies and TJ's non-compelling actor), and Diane and Carly (Carly). Though I did see the bit with Carly letting in Diane through the improperly hung door. That only works in nearly flawless movies like Double Indemnity, and GH is nowhere close to flawless.

What kind of world are we living in now that Sonny is not fast-forward material?

At first, I didn't recognize Joss in Dex's little fantasy, and I thought, whoa, he's got another woman! He's playing Sonny, Michael, and Joss! Which would make a way better show.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 9
  • LOL 1

I think we’re supposed to see Carly as noble and selfless for not flipping on Drew or trying to trade info about Sonny to save herself when that’s the very least she should do considering that she invested over Drew’s objections and Sonny wasn’t involved in this at all, not to mention both of them are actively trying to help her. The bar is so low for her. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

NuKristina took some mannerisms and tone from oldKristina, it's like she studied her.  

How does Sam know how a nonprofit should be started up?  Didn't Sonny put up money for it?  

No one seems to be thinking of Nina as the snitch - they are too dumb to think about who could know about it.  Though I don't know how Nina knows about it either.  

Kids love Nina.  Donna and Avery do and Wylie does.  That must chap Carly's hide.  

I don't see Carly going to jail for insider trading, especially if she admitted it.  But no, it's going to be Nina destroying her family again.  Even after Mike/Nixon how is the family "destroyed?"  But if Carly went to jail, with the kids loving Nina and Sonny as her husband, it could have Nina taking her place, which might be good  - if only Carly didn't always have to win.  

• Like 10
11 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

No one seems to be thinking of Nina as the snitch - they are too dumb to think about who could know about it.  Though I don't know how Nina knows about it either.  

They didn’t know what insider trading was themselves until Ned spelled it out for them and and Alexis later confirmed that it was a textbook case so it stands to reason that they couldn’t guess that Ava and Nina easily figured out why they were hiding their relationship. A running theme has been that Carly and Drew are nowhere near as clever as they think they are. Literally everyone knew they were together but they thought they were doing a brilliant job of hiding it. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Kim0820 said:

How does Sam know how a nonprofit should be started up?  Didn't Sonny put up money for it?  

I saw some comments on youtube agreeing with Sam like "oh Kristina is putting the cart before the horse"  but when you are first starting out you kinda need to have a lot of stokes in the fire. you need to SHOW investors something (hence the logo etc et), you need to have the contractors etc. ...I didn't realy think Krissy was ignoring certain things she was just showing off the fun stuff

• Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I saw some comments on youtube agreeing with Sam like "oh Kristina is putting the cart before the horse"  but when you are first starting out you kinda need to have a lot of stokes in the fire. you need to SHOW investors something (hence the logo etc et), you need to have the contractors etc. ...I didn't realy think Krissy was ignoring certain things she was just showing off the fun stuff

I don't disagree with Sam although it seems like Sonny took care of the business plan, but the flip side of this is that the writers love infantilizing Kristina. 

Also, let's manufacture drama between the sisters. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 5

Was Kristina being written like a screw-up before? I was on the barge during DoD and her affair with her professor. 

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by Mansi. I loathed her on DAYS but hadn't seen her in anything else so wanted to at least give her Kristina a chance. (The recast was a raw deal for Lexi but if more screen time for the Davis clan means less Carly time, I can live with it.)

Eta: TJ and Molly tugged at my heartstrings a little. A considerable feat since I haven't liked either one once their early teen stories played out. 

• Like 9
49 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Was Kristina being written like a screw-up before? I was on the barge during DoD and her affair with her professor. 

When it came to school, yes, and she was perpetually in her trying to figure out what she was going to do with her life stage. Compared to Molly and Michael, she didn’t come off well but we’re supposed to pretend like Michael has accomplished more than nepotism jobs that he was vastly underqualified for. I thought Morgan, when he was alive, was more of a screw up than Kristina ever was. She’s stayed at that Charlie’s gig for at least 5 years now. DOD was a mess but she first got involved with it because they were doing charity work so I think she had good intentions at the start and it was 4 years ago. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

we’re supposed to pretend like Michael has accomplished more than nepotism jobs that he was vastly underqualified for.

Speaking of, I LOL'd loudly and long when Carly proclaimed Michael "has been running ELQ for the last ten years."

• LOL 8