Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/11/2019

TheView
  • Start Topic

Oh man.  Im sorry Santa Clarita. 😥  to stay legal, it was a great ep. The music was fantastic.  Best musical guests ive seen on the show.  Say what you will about Whoopi, she is a very generous person.  She seems very genuine to me.  Happy Birthday Whoopi!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

I saw Alex in the audience. Bet she gets all the giveaways too.

Possibly not. .depends on how the contracts at abc are.  It might be employees `and families', but does that end once they turn 18 and are their own peoples?  I do not know.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Tammee said:

Say what you will about Whoopi, she is a very generous person. 

But the SPONSORS paid for this particular generosity.  Didn't cost Whoopi a cent and I bet her daughter DID get the gifts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

Jim Jordan and Meghan share the same arguing tactic - if you talk as fast and as loudly as possible you will convince everyone of what you're saying.  

They are all practically giddy this morning.  A birthday, a Temptations song, and no Meghan sure lightens the mood. 

This audience really cleaned up with the giveaways - an $1800 weekend retreat!  Have they ever given away something worth that much?

Man he was a bully!  Pissing me right F* off.  I skipped most of the Rep questioning because that seemed to be their modis operandi and my blood pressure couldnt take it

• Love 21
Just now, HaaCHOO said:

But the SPONSORS paid for this particular generosity.  Didn't cost Whoopi a cent and I bet her daughter DID get the gifts.

Agreed.  I still like her. Maybe things just seemed more calm and not so neurotic. Luck of the draw to be in todays audience i guess.  Get your calendars and mark this date 2020, you too can clean up! hah

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Whoopi's dreads.  The top few are new/MUCH WHITER now.  I noticed only because Whoopi "explained" to Seth Meyers the other night that her character's hair in "The Stand" wouldn't have been "white" because old people in those days smoked.  Seeing the difference between her new top and the longer dreads leads me to believe Ms. Goldberg, avid "smoker," has come up with an excuse for the yellowing of the dreadlocks.  I didn't notice it until today.  

P.S.  Think she's still vaping?

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Yeah, when Sunny said Whoopi likes to give away stuff on her bday, I yelled at the tv that she wasn’t giving away anything!  The sponsors were!

• Love 11

Gads!  HB Whoopi but your voice hurt my ears during the whole show 🙉 even on low volume.  (Post concussions and brain bleed sequelae). The music was great but too little of it.  

One thing about all those giveaways. My husband was on Wheel back in the pre Pat S days when they gave products instead of money.  They had nice things but they value all items at the highest possible price.  It is considered income and you have to pay taxes.  He won quite a bit for the times (80s) and since it was in CA we had to pay that state income tax, Oregon tax and federal tax.  The worst thing to win is a trip because they are valued so high and you could probably do better on your own.  Not sure how it’s done these days, but I would think taxes are still in place.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, when Sunny said Whoopi likes to give away stuff on her bday, I yelled at the tv that she wasn’t giving away anything!  The sponsors were!

While it's nice that spa is giving the audience a free weekend I have to wonder if the show is providing free transportation.  That spa is in Tennessee. Presumably the people in the audience is from the NYC/NJ area and tourists from who knows where. Not everyone has the money to fly/drive several hundred miles away.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

She was sitting next Jennifer Lopez's mom, JLo mom knows when to show up 😉

I actually enjoyed today's show.

I agree - today's show was pretty good for once and I really enjoyed the music. Meghan not being there was the cherry on top. 

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

Not sure what kind he had when Abby announced it on the show. 

He had melanoma.

7 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

My husband was on Wheel back in the pre Pat S days when they gave products instead of money.  They had nice things but they value all items at the highest possible price.  It is considered income and you have to pay taxes.  

That's such a coincidence that you mentioned this.  I also thought of the original Wheel of Fortune today.  Sometimes I'd watch it with a friend during summer vacation.  There were lots of prizes on the stage with prices next to them, and contestants selected however many they could afford depending on how much money they'd won.  I had fun choosing what I would pick, but my friend would always say that she'd rather win cash because she could use it to pay the taxes on it. 

What's so funny is, we were in grade school at the time.  I guess she read the fine print at the end of the show.

30 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

While it's nice that spa is giving the audience a free weekend I have to wonder if the show is providing free transportation.

That was the main thing I wondered about.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

While it's nice that spa is giving the audience a free weekend I have to wonder if the show is providing free transportation.  That spa is in Tennessee. Presumably the people in the audience is from the NYC/NJ area and tourists from who knows where. Not everyone has the money to fly/drive several hundred miles away.

No, the network would definitely not be paying for the transportation making this rather random giveaway kind of ... not so great for presumably most of the recipients*.  One of those, gee, thanks...?  kinda things. 

*Unless you are Alex or JLo's Mom. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

I turned it on by accident, figured it would be the hearings, and man was it TERRIFIC, no Migraine Meghan, and Motown Broadway. That was great. 

I love how this show has gotten so bad that you turned it on by accident 😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

One of those, gee, thanks...?  kinda things. 

The spa probably hedged their bets and then donated.  Wonder what the expiration date is...and the blackout dates are.  Happy Birthday!

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

The spa probably hedged their bets and then donated.  Wonder what the expiration date is...and the blackout dates are.  Happy Birthday!

I thought about that too.  I don't know how many people were in the audience but what if they all wanted to go on the same weekend?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I usually fast forward  through Broadway Musical performances but today was fantastic. What a great way to open the show. That’s my music! 
Everyone seemed in a relaxed good mood.  Why do I think that Whoopi might give that spa weekend as gifts but isn’t her favorite place. Can't see her in that atmosphere at all. 
Nice haul for the audience today I always like to bring up we were at a Ellen taping and got a box of cereal - frosted mini wheats because  pregnant Debra Messing ate them all day.  Also a Burt Bacharach CD.  It was great seeing the process and Ellen was very early season. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Whoopi should really be protecting her voice but she definitely did not today and she is performing tomorrow night!

Abby for once was coherent and not wishy washy about the Republicans.

At the end they all had the a serving of the waffles, tiny but stacked high.  No one even tried to eat them except Whoopi and she couldn't make it work but the camera kept lingering on her. 

cat nom GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

Sunny must have roomfuls of free personalized photo gifts from all these “deals” they are always pushing. 

Yeah, and remember when Whoopi would "sneak" onstage during the VYD segments and "steal" various items she wanted?  So funny.  NOT!  Then Greta started bringing items "especially for you, Sunny."  Wonder how that came to be.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bannana said:

My husband told me I need to stop saying "for crying out loud" because it is dating me!

I'm old.  Our father didn't live with us and our mother never said that one ... or "for Pete's sake," so it's not in my repertoire.  Until I became a nonbeliever at age 25 I never said, "Oh, my God!" because I would have had to tell the priest in Confession.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Wow! The music was G R E A T !

They should have given the audience tickets to the Broadway show instead of the fat farm  spa.

ETA:  oh, wait. They did! Now I'm jealous.

Edited by Blissfool
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

I'm old.  Our father didn't live with us and our mother never said that one ... or "for Pete's sake," so it's not in my repertoire.  Until I became a nonbeliever at age 25 I never said, "Oh, my God!" because I would have had to tell the priest in Confession.

As a kid, that's all i said to everything 'ooooooooh my God!', then one day my Gma pulled me aside and explained to me the significance of what i was saying and its been gosh ever since.  Once in a while something will happen to warrant an OMG, and i can see them out of my peripherals look at me. I dont look at them and i say Gosh! (visions of Nap Dynamite hah).  And then they go back to their papers.  I smile.  Brat 😎

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cementhead said:

No, the network would definitely not be paying for the transportation making this rather random giveaway kind of ... not so great for presumably most of the recipients*.  One of those, gee, thanks...?  kinda things. 

*Unless you are Alex or JLo's Mom. 

I thought that was her in the audience !  JLo's Mom.  I was wondering if Jen was going to pop in

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GladysCravits said:

You’re hilarious,    Does no one understand sarcasm?😂

Hah!  Well not only did we get told,  we got told repeatedly!  No chance to blissfully forget.  Some charity gig thats shes now 'on the board of'.  Maybe that will be fulltime for her...wishful thinking

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Ok this is interesting.  I went to ABCs View website and none of the links worked.  Wtf?  Go to their main page and i guess Disney+ is now the parents of the View.  So unless you have that, i wonder if thats why i couldnt get Ws VYD stuff.

15 minutes ago, Tammee said:

I went to ABCs View website and none of the links worked.

The segment was called "Whoopie's Favorite Things", but unlike "Oprah's Favorite Things", weren't offered as a VYD.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, but the sponsors give things in support of Whoopi, so I’ll give her partial credit.  Sponsors  want to associate their brands with her.   I don’t think major sponsors are giving anything away for MM’s bday...Lol.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Disney's server has been overwhelmed, with periods of outage, so you may want to try again Tammee.

In the early 60's my father said "for crying out loud" and "for Pete's sake" (usually for bad surprises) and also "Holy Moses" (for good surprises).  He didn't believe he said it very often until my baby brother, who was at the one-word stage of talking, ripped open a Christmas present and clearly yelled out "Holy Moses!" and we have it on tape.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, After7Only said:

Yeah, but the sponsors give things in support of Whoopi, so I’ll give her partial credit.  Sponsors  want to associate their brands with her.   I don’t think major sponsors are giving anything away for MM’s bday...Lol.  

You've made me curious about how sponsors/items are chosen for giveaways.  Do producers contact retailers to provide items for promotion or do the manufacturers contact the show and say "hey, we've got this handbag/wrap/skincare line we'd like to promote on your show."?  Anyone in the know?

(I know that Adam guy says he brings Oprah's favorite things, but I doubt Oprah has anything to do with any of that crap.)

Edited by Haleth
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

You've made me curious about how sponsors/items are chosen for giveaways.  Do producers contact retailers to provide items for promotion or do the manufacturers contact the show and say "hey, we've got this handbag/wrap/skincare line we'd like to promote on your show."?  Anyone in the know?

(I know that Adam guy says he brings Oprah's favorite things, but I doubt Oprah has anything to do with any of that crap.)

I think it's a combination of both.  I've never watched a segment but when posters have talked about something from VYD it was always something I have never heard of.  I think it's items looking for ad time and can't afford real ad time.  But when the host's do their favorite things I think some of them might be legit and they contacted the manufacturer and said hey I like your (blank) how about we showcase it on the View.

It does make me wonder though if the View has a hard time filling ad time.  I watch online so I don't see the commercials.  Are the commercials for real things or have they been reduced to Sleep pillow ads?

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

It does make me wonder though if the View has a hard time filling ad time.  I watch online so I don't see the commercials.  Are the commercials for real things or have they been reduced to Sleep pillow ads?

Worse, Sarah MacLaghlen abused puppy commercials.

9 hours ago, Tammee said:

Ok this is interesting.  I went to ABCs View website and none of the links worked.  Wtf?  Go to their main page and i guess Disney+ is now the parents of the View.  So unless you have that, i wonder if thats why i couldnt get Ws VYD stuff.

Disney has owned ABC for YEARS now. And since this show is on ABC, it's always been under the purview of Disney. Disney + is just the streaming service for movies and Disney series. ABC is separate from it. Yes, there's a link that pops up to tell you to "stream now" but that's for the movies, etc., not ABC shows.

9 hours ago, deirdra said:

Disney's server has been overwhelmed, with periods of outage, so you may want to try again Tammee.

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. I downloaded that sucker on Wednesday, and have experienced no problems whatsoever.

• Love 1