Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E34: Judy Sheindlin, Judd Apatow, Steve Bullock, Rahm Emanuel, and Steve Schmidt

• Start Topic

LOL, this is dumb as hell, but I’m tickled that Judge Judy is on the show right after the episode with Ronan Farrow. 

There is a scene in “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” where a character is talking to Ronan Farrow on the phone. In an attempt to get off the phone with Ronan, the character makes up a meeting he has to run to.

Who is this meeting with? The character struggles to come up with a fake name and looks around the room frantically: oar — “Row...” — Sister Act DVD — “...nun...” — framed picture of Judy Sheindlin — “...fair...” — same oar — “...row...Ronan Farrow!”

It’s a silly joke on a couple different levels, but I love it. 😆🤦🏾‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, link417 said:

There is a scene in “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” where a character is talking to Ronan Farrow on the phone. In an attempt to get off the phone with Ronan, the character makes up a meeting he has to run to.

Who is this meeting with? The character struggles to come up with a fake name and looks around the room frantically: oar — “Row...” — Sister Act DVD — “...nun...” — framed picture of Judy Sheindlin — “...fair...” — same oar — “...row...Ronan Farrow!”

I'm sure I'm missing something here.  Why would a character who's already talking to Ronan Farrow make up that he has a meeting with Ronan Farrow?

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'm sure I'm missing something here.  Why would a character who's already talking to Ronan Farrow make up that he has a meeting with Ronan Farrow?

Because he’s an idiot, LOL. He just said the first name that came to him and it was the one name he shouldn’t have said.

I’ve never seen Judge Judy outside of her show so I may actually watch this episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, link417 said:

Because he’s an idiot, LOL.

Ok, I was thinking I was the idiot!  (Which may still be true.)

3 hours ago, link417 said:

I’ve never seen Judge Judy outside of her show so I may actually watch this episode.

Me neither, and I can't even imagine her in this setting.

• Love 4

Was Bill being an even bigger dick than usual?

First he condescends to and laughs at Judge Judy after inviting her on the show.   Then he laughs at her some more with the panel.   Then he is agist and sexist towards Linda Hamilton.   Yes, she is 64 and looks it because she didn’t mess with her face and actually has wrinkles.   And his “joke” against Prince Philip was pretty low....the guy is in his late 90s.   

• Love 6

Bill aside, this was a great show. Loved everyone on the panel and enjoyed Judd Apatow making Bill laugh at himself and not falling prey to agreeing with Bill about everything..  He really didn’t let Judge Judy get her point across about Bloomberg which I found disappointing as I was more interested in that than Bill fan boying over the Judge. (By the way, when did she change her hairstyle?).  Rahm Emanuel is a delightful panelist.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Was Bill being an even bigger dick than usual?

Nope he was about the same as always. Perhaps it was the angle you were viewing from? Perpective matters a lot...

First he condescends to and laughs at Judge Judy after inviting her on the show.   Then he laughs at her some more with the panel.   Then he is agist and sexist towards Linda Hamilton.   Yes, she is 64 and looks it because she didn’t mess with her face and actually has wrinkles.   And his “joke” against Prince Philip was pretty low....the guy is in his late 90s.   

To be fair, a bit of incredulity and dismissiveness is the correct response to Michael Bloomberg running for the Democratic nomination. And it wasn't like he invited her knowing what she would be promoting. The whole "show books an interesting guest who doesn't do a lot of talk show appearances and then they show up and want to spend the whole time talking about something boring and ridiculous" is the sort of thing that Bill's other interview subject Judd Apatow used to write for The Larry Sanders Show . As far as those jokes are concerned those are pretty much the usual run of the mill hacky jokes that are always there. You know the ones he's always getting pissed off at the audience for groaning act because he doesn't understand the difference between a dated and out of touch reference that doesn't land and "woke culture" killing comedy?

7 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Bill aside, this was a great show. Loved everyone on the panel and enjoyed Judd Apatow making Bill laugh at himself and not falling prey to agreeing with Bill about everything..  He really didn’t let Judge Judy get her point across about Bloomberg which I found disappointing as I was more interested in that than Bill fan boying over the Judge. (By the way, when did she change her hairstyle?).  Rahm Emanuel is a delightful panelist.

I thought it was a pretty good show too although as you said it was because of the guests and not Bill. Maybe part of it was that after last week the bar was pretty low. I was also half expecting Bill to jump in defending the "Boomer is the new n-word" thing so the fact that he didn't was a relief.

• Love 7

I really enjoyed Judd Apatow. He was very good at getting Bill to laugh, which was nice.  Judge Judy was disappointing. The interview just felt stilted and weird. I actually do agree with Bill on something... I think Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar are dark horses that could really come on near the end. I adore Elizabeth Warren, but Medicare for all is a loser. Obama was absolutely correct that if we were starting from a blank slate it would be different. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

To be fair, a bit of incredulity and dismissiveness is the correct response to Michael Bloomberg running for the Democratic nomination.

That is undoubtedly true. And it's also true that I was curious to hear the best case that could be made for him. And Bill didn't let that happen.

• Love 7

I'm not sure I got Judy's story straight: So, basically she called Bill out of the blue and told him to book her for last night which so happened to coincide with the rumors starting about Bloomberg running. Judy tells Bill she only met Bloomberg once in her life - an encounter he didn't remember and one where they had no social interaction at all except for Judy telling him to GTFO. And then she goes on a full-throttle rant about how Bloomberg is the only person who can restore "order." I'm not so sure I buy that's she had no interaction with him since that day -- why on earth would she be acting like a Bloomberg hype man? She must have had advance notice of his intentions and he needed a popular figure as a surrogate. 

Also, she seemed to forget all about Bloomberg's disgusting "stop and frisk" laws. Or maybe she didn't and she thinks that shit was all about "order" too. She can piss right off if she does.

I have a case of the inexplicable hots for Rahm Emmanuel.

10 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

He really didn’t let Judge Judy get her point across about Bloomberg which I found disappointing as I was more interested in that than Bill fan boying over the Judge.

I don't think she really had a point beside the one she said. She thinks everyone just needs a daddy figure to restore order and naturally that father figure should be a super rich man. It's really very Trumpy. She didn't seem to take any actual issues seriously besides superficial civility. She really was agreeing with Bill about people voting for president with "their gut." She just thought everybody's gut should agree with hers.

It actually made me think about the MLK quote about the real danger to progress are white liberals who value order over justice. (And also money--sorry, I think she wants to protect her hoards of gold from taxation the same way Bloomberg does and it was silly to gloss over that.) I did think it was funny when she was saying how Bloomberg was the Mayor of NYC and Bill said, "Who cares?" like he was voicing my own thought for me. You know who else was mayor of NYC? Giuliani and deBlasio.

I find it really frustrating the way Bill (and not just him) keeps repeating this idea of "revolution" when it comes to Dem candidates as if we're not having a revolution right now. I mean, of course younger people want issues actually addressed. They want to survive. It seems like all it takes to be a crackpot extreme leftist revolutionary is to acknowledge a problem and suggest solutions.

• Love 11

Bill lost me with his New Rules sermon when, after correctly pointing out how Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook are making people dumber and destroying political discussion in America, he says Facebook should not have to self police political ads because "free speech", and because the American people should be able to tell whether these ads are bullshit or not. The same people Bill calls stupid on a regular basis and who couldn't figure out that attack ads on Hillary Clinton were coming from Russian troll farms. Bill must really want to have Republicans controlling power with that outlook.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Bill lost me with his New Rules sermon when, after correctly pointing out how Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook are making people dumber and destroying political discussion in America, he says Facebook should not have to self police political ads because "free speech", and because the American people should be able to tell whether these ads are bullshit or not. 

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more with him on that. You cannot run political advertising on broadcast television unless you can substantiate your facts. (You can twist those facts any which way, but you've got to have something factual as your basis.) And somehow you must reveal who you are that's paying for the message. Why cannot we insist on these same very-low-bar standards for paid advertising on social media? Or tell social media it must forego political advertising, as Twitter has done.

• Love 8

I only saw the second half of the show, but Rahm Emmanuel and Judd Apatow were delightful guests.

No one mentioned the Lindsay Graham segment.  I have no doubt that Trump does have some dirt on him and he would not hesitate to use it.  For me it is the only plausible explanation for Graham's seemingly blind devotion to Trump.  

I used to enjoy this show more, but Bill is losing me.  I still enjoy New Rules most of the time, but that's pretty much it.  Maybe I just have political fatigue.  The whole "Us vs Them" narrative is exhausting. I really miss the days when both sides would compromise and reach across the aisle.  No one is trying to bridge the gap, they are just pushing the two sides farther and farther apart.  It's really sad and more than a little scary.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Bill lost me with his New Rules sermon when, after correctly pointing out how Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook are making people dumber and destroying political discussion in America, he says Facebook should not have to self police political ads because "free speech", and because the American people should be able to tell whether these ads are bullshit or not.

Honestly, how does he think people did that in the past before Facebook? They watched the news and read newspapers, which were telling them things. Why does he want to intentionally make it harder for people to get accurate information?

• Love 2

Well, once upon a time (2016-??)  Facebook partnered with FactCheck, Politifact, and a few others to combat (or so they claim) the spread of fake news. I really don't understand how they can't do this again or how facts can not be facts . Yes, they can be spun towards a certain ideology and hyperbolized. But for example, to accuse your opponents of crimes he or she did not commit is not FACTUAL. To put blatant lies  in a political ad is technically illegal, although it's highly unlikely it will result in prosecution. FB should just ban all political ads but of course where's the profit there *eyeroll*

• Love 10

I really wish Bill would do less talking & let his guests convey their opinions.  Steve Schmidt barely opened his mouth & looked slightly pissed ... just sayin'.  He's used to getting the floor, so!!  Rahm just took it, thankfully, & contributed in every way, shape & form.  Can't help but love his sense of humor & unabashed laugh!!

• Love 8

Garry Shandling was a hack standup and his show was almost unwatchable.

Maybe he was gracious to others in the business, but on his own merits as a performer he was hackneyed and lame.

Sorry Judd, I don't get the love.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
Spelling
  • Love 4

I respectfully disagree with the person who regards Gary Shandling as a “ hack stand up”.  The “ Larry Sanders Show”, which I recently binged, holds up after all these years, and was as original and insightful about show business and the personalities of celebrities as any show I’ve ever seen. His humor was subtle at times, but very on point.

• Love 11

Why is Bill obsessed with generations, while I desperately wish people would stop stereotyping others by their birthdate?  

It was a nice, relaxed panel for a change.  Barely subatomic levels of assholishness, compared to the usual bucketsful.  But why did Judge Judy pick Real Time, of all shows, for her coming-out party?  And people who might have been curious to see JJ outside her court show probably didn't get a lot out of this interview.

12 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Steve Schmidt barely opened his mouth & looked slightly pissed

Yes, I noticed that, too.  He got to say (or chose to say, which would be out of character) almost nothing.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, Caseysgirl said:

(By the way, when did she change her hairstyle?)

If I didn't know that was JJ, I might not have known it was JJ.  I remember her with short red hair and bangs.  I stopped watching her long ago because of her nasty demeanor and rulings based on her instincts rather than the law.  I wanted Bill to ask her why she treats almost all the litigants, even the ones who are in the right, as if they've personally offended her.  It was kinda funny that she mentioned her husband tried to talk her out of the TV show, and then he went ahead and was a People's Court judge for a while.

I wonder if she's going to try other venues to push Michael Bloomberg.

• Love 3

Everything about that JJ interview was strange. It looks like she basically came on to shill for Bloomberg, and Bill seemed to know that in advance. And she started with a story about how she only met Bloomberg once 20 years ago and he probably doesn't remember, and the gist of their interaction was that she told him to STFU. The she went on non-stop about what a great president he'd be. It was just a weird watch, all around. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Everything about that JJ interview was strange.

Totally agree. Not to mention that one of her big mantras on the show is, "If you tell the truth, you don't have to keep your stories straight." I don't think she was at all being truthful as to why she wanted to be on Real Time. She had to have been contacted by Bloomberg or one of his associates to advocate for his (alleged) candidacy as she claimed she was ONLY there to talk about HIM. A man she met IN PASSING twenty years earlier. 

19 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Everything about that JJ interview was strange. It looks like she basically came on to shill for Bloomberg, and Bill seemed to know that in advance.

From what I can tell after listening a second time it seems like it went like this. She was booked on the show before the whole Bloomberg thing. Bill planned on doing his usual interview (telling her how he never gushes over his guests, but she's special, probably ask a couple questions about how she'd handle the impeachment trial, etc.) and then at some point close to air she sprang on him that she only wanted to talk about Bloomberg. Which is why he was so pissy the whole time - he felt he was on the wrong end of a bait and switch and instead of a fun interview with a guest that was different from the usual that touched on interesting subjects he had to spend the whole time dealing with this nonsense. And he probably felt it was rude to him and his guests since he already had the "white guys whose last names start with B and will never get the nomination" angle covered that week.

And she started with a story about how she only met Bloomberg once 20 years ago and he probably doesn't remember, and the gist of their interaction was that she told him to STFU. The she went on non-stop about what a great president he'd be. It was just a weird watch, all around. 

Yeah there was something off there. It was actually kind of like watching an interview with one of the current administration where the whole story doesn't make sense and it's hard to tell if it's worse if they are .lying or if they really believe what they're saying.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, izabella said:

How wealthy is Judy after all these years of her tv show?  Maybe she loves Bloomberg for the same reason he is getting into the race - the 1% doesn't want to pay taxes like the rest of us have to.

I thought that was totally it. She's a wealthy woman getting nervous at the popularity of candidates targeting rich people for taxes and Bloomberg, to her, is the obvious solution.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I thought that was totally it. She's a wealthy woman getting nervous at the popularity of candidates targeting rich people for taxes and Bloomberg, to her, is the obvious solution.

But the show made her a millionaire....she canot be hurting now.

• Love 2
On 11/9/2019 at 11:21 AM, Giant Misfit said:

I'm not sure I got Judy's story straight: So, basically she called Bill out of the blue and told him to book her for last night which so happened to coincide with the rumors starting about Bloomberg running. Judy tells Bill she only met Bloomberg once in her life - an encounter he didn't remember and one where they had no social interaction at all except for Judy telling him to GTFO. And then she goes on a full-throttle rant about how Bloomberg is the only person who can restore "order." I'm not so sure I buy that's she had no interaction with him since that day -- why on earth would she be acting like a Bloomberg hype man? She must have had advance notice of his intentions and he needed a popular figure as a surrogate. 

Also, she seemed to forget all about Bloomberg's disgusting "stop and frisk" laws. Or maybe she didn't and she thinks that shit was all about "order" too. She can piss right off if she does.

I have a case of the inexplicable hots for Rahm Emmanuel.

I hate how Judge Judy treats some of the people on her show. If I were in her court I'd wind up in jail for contempt.  And she came across as an idiot on the show. She's a friggin million,  maybe billionaire, WTF! She has a nasty personality. 

42 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

But the show made her a millionaire....she canot be hurting now.

They filthy rich don' t want to part with a penny of their money.

5 hours ago, izabella said:

How wealthy is Judy after all these years of her tv show?  Maybe she loves Bloomberg for the same reason he is getting into the race - the 1% doesn't want to pay taxes like the rest of us have to.

Correct! 

Edited by msrachelj
  • Love 5

I think that Bill needs to do his homework much better the next time around.  When he discussed Putin's invitation to Trump to attend the May Parade 2020 in Moscow, he stated that this parade was to celebrate Communism and he stressed the point repeatedly.  I guess that Bill did not get the memo that Russia is no longer communist and has not been since 1991.  In fact, the Communist Party of Russia has great difficulties in remaining legal.  The current political party in government, "All Russia Peoples' Front" is a center-right  party (mostly right with some social welfare policies) with overt nationalist leanings.  The May parade is not to celebrate Communism, but the surrender of the German Reich after the "Great Patriotic War".  I believe that the May 2020 parade would mark the 75th anniversary of this event and it would be attended by a number of heads of state.  Considering the sacrifices of the Russian people during that war, I do not think that it is for anybody to attend the parade and the accompanying memorial events.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:42 AM, Caseysgirl said:

I respectfully disagree with the person who regards Gary Shandling as a “ hack stand up”.  The “ Larry Sanders Show”, which I recently binged, holds up after all these years, and was as original and insightful about show business and the personalities of celebrities as any show I’ve ever seen. His humor was subtle at times, but very on point.

Agreed.  And "It's Gary Shandling's Show" was a hoot before that.

• Love 2