Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Q&A

• Start Topic

Bright’s quest for answers about his childhood leads him to a junkyard, where he’s bombarded with gunshots. Narrowly escaping, Bright and the NYPD discover multiple bodies on the scene, with victims spanning decades. Gil, Dani, Frank and Bright must investigate this serial killer who Bright suspects has something to do with “The Surgeon.” Meanwhile, Ainsley’s exclusive interview with Martin takes an unexpected turn, forcing her to team up with Bright.

Airing Monday, November 4, 2019.

Did they say that the father still does medical consulting via web conferences telling people how to do surgeries? Who the hell would let a serial killer instruct doctors? Wouldn't he have lost his medical license? I can see Bright and Ainsley letting him operate on the camera guy, but the reference to advising doctors all the time made no sense.

I feel like they are hinting too strongly that Bright killed a bunch of people when he was a kid and has blocked it out. That can't actually be what they are leading to.

• Love 6

It just seemed strange to me that they would only have one guard in the room while the TV Crew was setting up. It would have been extremely easy for the TV crew to pass all manner of contraband to Dr. Martin Whitly. I hated all the time wasting they did while the clock was ticking down when they were trying to save the cameraman's life. Dramatic Tension.

• Love 8

I honestly thought this was one of the best episodes so far, it moved a lot of the story forward and boy did Michael Sheen chew the scenery with his switches from quiet resigned inmate to crazy screaming lunatic to calm competent surgeon.  I think based on Malcolm's memory of running with that blade we're going to find that Dad tried to get him to participate in a killing but he broke away; but I'm hoping if that's the case we don't have to go through multiple episodes of an incorrect memory with Malcolm going "It was me" over and over.  Also points for avoiding another common TV show plot device and having Malcolm call Gill immediately after the shooting in the junkyard instead of the common plot a lot of shows fall back on of the lead continuing to investigate alone until something even bigger happens and they have that argument with the cop, detective, boss etc where the other guy always ends up saying "Why didn't you tell me this sooner".

• Love 9

We all assume everyone has our morals.  There are plenty of people out there  in this country and others that would think it would be  awesome and niche to gets tutoring from The Surgeon.  

What I really liked about this episode is that Ainsley was initially able to outsmart Martin but also yes he has a deeper plan that neither Malcolm or Ainsley could have dreamed of.  Because of course he would get her camera man boyfriend stabbed and then save his life just to get on her good side.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was fully expecting the knife that Malcolm had brought with him would be used for the operation.

Malcolm brought a picture of the knife, not the knife, which should still be in evidence.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Honestly I prefer “honey get the camera and show the world what daddy can do.”   To Ainsley screaming hysterically.   This was only ever going to go one of two ways for Ainsley.   She was going to show that yes she did have that little bit of daddy in her and she could shut the world out to get the story or she would run screaming and sit in the corner blubbering.  

What I really like about Ainsley is that she is competent at her job and more then that really wants to be respected for it.   She was insulted that neither her mother or her brother watched her news show and was fascinating that her father did.   I think she genuinely is both horrified and fascinated by him.   Both as a little girl who never knew her father and as a reporter who has the inside scoop to a serial killer.   So yeah I appreciated that she didn’t completely fall apart during this episode.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

She was insulted that neither her mother or her brother watched her news show

I think she's just a local reporter, and the point of this sensational interview/expose with her father was to raise her profile. She probably wants have her own show/ go national. And that's why I find her pretty despicable; I previously compared her to Ronan Farrow, who got the initial career benefit of being the child of famous people (although he has gone on to do very good work, obviously). I'm also having a hard time imagining a reputable media group (assuming there is such a thing) hiring a serial killer's daughter as anything but a gimmick. 

I was mystified by the implication that Dr. Whitley was somehow influencing Tevin (the freaky Fester-looking dude) to create havoc and somehow give the Surgeon the opportunity to play the hero. That clearly would require Whitley to anticipate a highly-unlikely chain of events. I also thought he was being kept out of the general population, which would have limited his contact with Tevin to those ridiculous group therapy sessions. But then, the whole psych hospital setup is ridiculous.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

We all assume everyone has our morals.  There are plenty of people out there  in this country and others that would think it would be  awesome and niche to gets tutoring from The Surgeon.  

What I really liked about this episode is that Ainsley was initially able to outsmart Martin but also yes he has a deeper plan that neither Malcolm or Ainsley could have dreamed of.  Because of course he would get her camera man boyfriend stabbed and then save his life just to get on her good side.  

I think Ainsley's trick worked to impress Martin more than anything.  My guess is that he agreed to the interview, but added his own little scenario by tricking Tevin into making a scene.  He wanted to test Ainsley under pressure.  And where Tevin was plum crazy, Martin isn't.  He's cold, calculating, and brilliant, with very little empathy for the suffering of others.  A much more dangerous type of person. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was mystified by the implication that Dr. Whitley was somehow influencing Tevin (the freaky Fester-looking dude) to create havoc and somehow give the Surgeon the opportunity to play the hero. That clearly would require Whitley to anticipate a highly-unlikely chain of events. I also thought he was being kept out of the general population, which would have limited his contact with Tevin to those ridiculous group therapy sessions. But then, the whole psych hospital setup is ridiculous.

So much this. How did Tevin get out of his cell, does he just walk around and do whatever during the day? And how did he get the knife? From his lunch tray? And wasn't a guard killed? Sure, I wasn't paying that much attention, but that entire segment, then finding out Whitley planned the whole thing, was so ludicrous. I guess Whitley and Tevin and the other crazies just hang out together in Gen Pop ... when Whitley isn't chained to the wall. That psych hospital must be federally run by our tax dollars at work, there is no other explanation for the stupid going on there.

Where did that scalpel come from, Ainsley had it in her purse?

Speaking of Ainsley, she is a crap reporter. Her first question was, "You cut out a man's heart just to see how long it would take him to die. Why?" Geez, Ainsley, didn't you answer you own question?

I hope the camera guy got loaded up with some good antibiotics from all the dirt and germs that fell into his insides during that procedure. And poor Dr. Whitley, he doesn't even get a full roll of TP? There was barely a square to spare on that roll.

Meanwhile, who has been paying for that separate phone line in the basement for the past 20 years?

And why is mom still living in that gigantic house? Get an apartment on the Riviera girl. Or at least in the Hamptons.

Laughed at the last scene of Whitley's restraints on the floor of his (former) cell ... it was all locked back together. You know, so it'll be easy to put the good doctor back in it when time comes. Thank god no one can visit him now, even though he is the best part of this show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Martins whole "I saved more lives than I took" story seemed very classically manipulative and narcissistic in a classic sociopath way. He is so lacking in empathy that he cant be bothered to think of the innocent lives he took, he just wants to talk about being a hero and being celebrated on television. Like human lives are just numbers to be added up, took so many lives, saved so many lives, without thinking of them as individual people. 

Ainsley sure did know how to push her dads buttons, accusing him of being a bad dad so she could get that money shot of him foaming at the mouth acting crazy. And it turns out that Martin created this whole situation so that he could be the hero and get the reaction and the story that HE wanted told. I am still convinced that Ainsley is the one who is more like her father, while everyone has been worried about Malcolm. 

"You mean your trip to see your serial killer dad at the serial killer hospital didnt go well? I am shocked." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

"You mean your trip to see your serial killer dad at the serial killer hospital didnt go well? I am shocked." 

Thanks! That was the best line and best thing in the entire episode. I was shocked at the writers giving the line to Mom (instead of the weird medical examiner chick).

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well I can imagine some people would think it was awesome. But for him to tutor surgeons that means he'd have to have been approved by some pretty high level people at hospitals. And probably the patients too.

6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I'm also having a hard time imagining a reputable media group (assuming there is such a thing) hiring a serial killer's daughter as anything but a gimmick. 

That may be why they hired her, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't take the job. It's probably why she's trying to make her mark with this interview though. To show she actually has talent. I kind of admire her for that. But I also thought it was pretty cold when she sent the camera guy out in the hall when he didn't seem to want to. The filming the surgery I didn't mind as much.

• Love 1

People get jobs and promotions for all kinds of reasons.  It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take it.  Ainsley probably did initially get the job as some sort of gimmick but then showed real talent for it and unlike Malcolm she lacks the Myriad of social and psychological problems being The Surgeon’s child brings.   She’s perfect to bring out when you are shopping for funds because she is who she is and she is sociable and clever.   

I am not sure I would call her cold for taping the whole thing.  I mean what else was she really supposed to do?  Her boyfriend was in good hands.   She could hold his hand and whisper sweet nothings or she could film the whole thing and maybe get them both a promotion.   

• Love 3

This was definitely my favourite episode so far, for the sole reason that we got more focus on the Whitly family. 

I think having more Ainsley is important to understand the family as a whole. Yes, she might have gotten her start because of her name. Yes, she's ruthless and has made some choices that most wouldn't. But I think they're displaying her AS the daughter of a serial killer and a shady mother, with a mentally ill brother. It shows her as someone who is definitely NOT normal; she appears normal, but she's showing signs of being just as messed up as the rest of her family. She's just lucky to hide it behind her sociable personality. She may not be as messed up as Malcolm, or her mother, but that's because she was shielded from her father.

And now, interacting with him for the first time in twenty years, for the first time that she can really remember, she seems to be fascinated by him. And that definitely points toward her choosing him down the road. Her taping her father performing the surgery, even when she knew it would make him look good if she used the footage, is not just about her being cold. It's to show how messed up the family is, even Ainsley. Even with Jessica and even Malcolm trying to protect her, it goes to show that it might have only delayed the inevitable. 

That's why I find Ainsley a fascinating character. She's not someone we're necessarily supposed to root for, but we're supposed to see her as someone who is getting entangled by her father's web that he weaves, someone that her father will be able to manipulate. Ainsley never got to deal with the repercussions of her father being arrested for killing multiple people. She was shielded from it, but she never dealt with it.

Similar to Malcolm, who we have seen make morally grey choices (for example, cutting off that guy's hand back in the first or second episode, or his choice in lying to the guy in the hospital). Ainsley is making similar choices, which just shows that she's on the same level as the rest of her family. So, if I don't hate Malcolm, I also don't hate Ainsley. They're products of their family and I'm more interested in seeing how they evolve, or devolve, throughout the series. 

As for Malcolm, they ARE being very obvious that they could go down the Malcolm as the real killer route...or, at least, he was being molded into being a killer like his father, and the girl in the box may have been Malcolm's victim. But the question is if they're actually going to go down that route. On the one hand, if they're actually going down that route of Malcolm having harmed or killed someone as a kid, then they've set it up perfectly. It makes total sense.

On the other hand, it also makes sense for Malcolm's memories being unreliable right now. They're basically coming back to him in flashes, with none of them really lining up, which allows more fluidity with where they go with the revelations of what Malcolm did see as a kid. So I'd be fine with either direction, but since we're supposed to root for Malcolm, I'd much rather him not having done anything as a kid....at the very least, I'd rather having Martin remain a serial killer and Malcolm having no body count right now. 

But I know that one of the kids, either Malcolm or Ainsley, will kill someone at the end of the season. I really feel like we're heading that route. 

Seriously, this was a great episode in terms of analyzing the Whitly family.  

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am not sure I would call her cold for taping the whole thing.  I mean what else was she really supposed to do?  Her boyfriend was in good hands.   She could hold his hand and whisper sweet nothings or she could film the whole thing and maybe get them both a promotion.   

I agree about the taping. But she ordered the guy to go film in the hallway, when he expressed that he didn't want to. I thought that was a bit cold. If he had volunteered to go out there and film, or if she volunteered herself, that would have been different.

But taping the surgery actually seemed like she was doing her job. They weren't live, so they don't have to use the footage if they decide not to later. And no one else was being put in danger at that point. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I agree 100%.  This hospital didn't have enough guards to take down a guy with a knife, didn't anyone else have a taser gun?

I don't know how much longer I can hang on, I'm losing interest fast. If they answer too many questions in season one what are they going to do in season two?

I don't know why but seeing those restraints laying on the floor gave me a bad feeling the Doctor is going to escape.

The phone is the basement was dumb, if it was still connected you're telling in me in 20 years no telemarketer has called, lol.

Michael Sheen is the strongest actor on the show and I enjoy watching him but they can't keep coming up with lame excuses to visit him week after week.

• Love 6
On 11/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

Did they say that the father still does medical consulting via web conferences telling people how to do surgeries? Who the hell would let a serial killer instruct doctors? Wouldn't he have lost his medical license? I can see Bright and Ainsley letting him operate on the camera guy, but the reference to advising doctors all the time made no sense.

I feel like they are hinting too strongly that Bright killed a bunch of people when he was a kid and has blocked it out. That can't actually be what they are leading to.

That motherfucker is the most privileged serial killer of all time. The fact that he isn't in a maximum security prison is totally unrealistic. He went on trial and was found guilty of multiple murders.  He would be in prison not some cozy room in a mental hospital. Many former high society folks are in prison for murder. This didn't happen in the '50s or 1800s. The chances of him being put a mental hospital is slim to none. 

Edited by Simba122504
Added more thoughts
  • Love 3

Something else I forgot to mention: I was convinced (and still partially am) that Ainsley's cameraman boyfriend was going to turn out to be working with Martin OR the new serial killer. I was waiting for them to hint more toward him using Ainsley to get to Martin because he admired him or something. They definitely didn't totally disprove my theory, especially when it was discovered that Martin set up the lockdown in the first place. He set in motion the stabbing so that he could save Jin (I think that's his name?) and gain Ainsley's trust. 

But maybe Jin was solely just used to be a victim in the Whitly family stuff. 

On 11/6/2019 at 7:48 PM, Simba122504 said:

The fact that he isn't in a maximum security prison is totally unrealistic. He went on trial and was found guilty of multiple murders.  He would be in prison not some cozy room in a mental hospital. Many former high society folks are in prison for murder. This didn't happen in the '50s or 1800s. The chances of him being put a mental hospital is slim to none. 

Disagree. He was probably found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect. That's what an insanity defense is, and it apparently worked.  He likely chose to testify on his own behalf and did so in a manner that convinced the jury (or judge, if he waved a jury) that he met the legal definition of insanity at the time he committed the crimes. He's a master manipulator. 

• Love 1

I really appreciated that the hospital figured out that Martin set it all up and had him in solitary. They didn't need to be told by Malcolm that the serial killer manipulated it all.

I lost respect for Ainsley when she couldn't bounce back from the "But think of how many people I saved! It was a net positive!" with "Not to families of the people you murdered for no reason." Also, Malcolm was in the shot with her when she went down the "bad father" questioning route.

• Love 4
On 11/5/2019 at 10:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

I agree about the taping. But she ordered the guy to go film in the hallway, when he expressed that he didn't want to. I thought that was a bit cold. If he had volunteered to go out there and film, or if she volunteered herself, that would have been different.

Yeah, there's no way their relationship is going to survive that.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, KaveDweller said:

But I also thought it was pretty cold when she sent the camera guy out in the hall when he didn't seem to want to.

Yeah, I was like, "Uh, you go out there with him, Ms. 'I Have To Get the Full Story' Woman." She was awfully casual with putting someone else's life in danger. 

• Love 2

So skipping episodes seems to be working well for me; I've seen 2, 3, 5, and 7. Cuts down on the repetitive flashbacks.

I still like Malcolm a lot; and I want him to get over his childhood traumas and have better mental health - but that would end the show wouldn't it? However, I don't know if I can do more than one season of him trying to solve a mystery of his past that only his father has answers about.

I'm not so interested in the rest of his family, but I did like that Ainsley had stuff to do and she and Malcolm worked together for a little bit.

Of course The Surgeon has a serial killer protégé. Of course. But it does give them another arc to focus on.

All the ridiculousness in this one was pointed out already; but I'm still holding on.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:20 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I took her taping the incident as a way to motivate her father into helping Cameraman. He did want attention, after all.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:48 PM, Lady Calypso said:

On the other hand, it also makes sense for Malcolm's memories being unreliable right now. They're basically coming back to him in flashes, with none of them really lining up, which allows more fluidity with where they go with the revelations of what Malcolm did see as a kid. So I'd be fine with either direction, but since we're supposed to root for Malcolm, I'd much rather him not having done anything as a kid....at the very least, I'd rather having Martin remain a serial killer and Malcolm having no body count right now. 

I'm rooting for Malcolm, and I want him to stay 'clean'. They'd lose me if they make him a killer, too.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, saber5055 said:

Where did that scalpel come from, Ainsley had it in her purse?

Speaking of Ainsley, she is a crap reporter. Her first question was, "You cut out a man's heart just to see how long it would take him to die. Why?" Geez, Ainsley, didn't you answer you own question?

It came from the medical kit that the guard brought into the cell.

All the craziness of this episode aside, I really did love "So you're telling me my children went to visit their serial killer father in serial killer hospital and it didn't go well?"

That hospital seems dangerously understaffed.  How did they only have the one usual guard in Martin's lavish cell as they were setting up and trying to conduct this interview? And there's no one who could keep crazy inmate where he was supposed to be to prevent him from stabbing people?  I am glad the hospital figured it out on their own without sitting around passively waiting for Malcolm to tell them what had happened.

For all her attempting to be the ruthless reporter with a plan, Ainsley's not very good at her job.  She went in there with a personal agenda and then immediately started with questions she'd already answered.  "You took a man's heart out to see how long it would take him to die.  Why did you do it?"  She also didn't bother to ask her brother if he was okay with using the personal hell that his life has been in an on-camera interview to bait their father or notice at all that she was being manipulated by someone much better at it than she is. Michael Sheen did nice work turning on a dime between quietly remorseful yet grandiose to scary rage to competent surgeon, and while I generally don't have a ton of feeling about Tom Payne's acting choices in this, I did think he was doing nice work struggling through his fear and trepidation in handing Martin the scalpel and his obvious relief that he gave it back without it turning into another situation.

Of course Martin had a serial killer trainee because of course he did.

I really like the show, but - IMO - this isn't a truly cohesive cast because their ages are just off.

In real life:

Malcolm is 38.  (I love him in the role, and I do think he looks more like 30.)

Ainsley is 27

Jessica is 50.  I haven't believed her as Malcolm and Ainsley's mother since her first appearance in the pilot.  She's the weakest member of the cast because she can't pull off being the age of Malcolm's mother, even if he's supposed to be closer to 30 than his real-life age of 38.

Martin is 51.  Looks older with the graying beard and wrinkles, so I can accept him as the father of a 30 and 27 year old.

Gil is 58.  LDP can play ANY role in ANY movie or TV show, and it's okay with me.

Edited by AZChristian
Clarity