Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Righteous Right Hand

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When a group of women on a retreat end up in the ED, Max gets some troubling information that could put a patient in jeopardy. Sharpe and Kapoor work together to mend fences between two feuding sisters.

Original airdate 10/29/19

So...a $7.50 insurance policy on a van trip is gonna cover diabetes and kidney transplants that are unrelated to the crash? Call me skeptical...

Um...can you donate a kidney when you have uncontrolled diabetes?

Not even gonna try to count the HIPAA issues going on here.

Seriously, Iggy didn't tell his husband he applied to adopt another kid? How long does he think he can keep that process going?

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So...a $7.50 insurance policy on a van trip is gonna cover diabetes and kidney transplants that are unrelated to the crash? Call me skeptical...

Seriously, Iggy didn't tell his husband he applied to adopt another kid? How long does he think he can keep that process going?

All this ↑ plus:

Max is an idiot, will Blume be wearing the boot forever, heart surgeon sings to a patient and brings her back from a near coma, down syndrome kid wants and gets an abortion.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, nixgirl28 said:

I think I must have missed an episode, what was the blood stain on the carpet from?

I'm assuming it was still there from Georgia, in which case, he hasn't cleaned that rug in three/four months, in which case - gross. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm assuming it was still there from Georgia, in which case, he hasn't cleaned that rug in three/four months, in which case - gross. 

Very gross, and he refused the cleaning people. What an idiot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, preeya said:

Not to mention the potential for infection or contamination to an infant if Luna were to crawl across that spot, which, hey, as a doctor, Max should know. I'm no doctor, but four-month-old crusted over blood stains might pose some sort of health problem.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Seriously! 🙄 That is ridiculous even for this show. 
Bloom got around faster without her cane than with it.

38 minutes ago, preeya said:

The cleaning people can come to my place.

21 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Not to mention the potential for infection or contamination to an infant if Luna were to crawl across that spot, which, hey, as a doctor, Max should know. I'm no doctor, but four-month-old crusted over blood stains might pose some sort of health problem.

Oh, but it is a keepsake of Georgia! So romantic! 😍😏

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Same.  On one hand, what Kaye did was understandable (although incredibly stupid), and I can see why she was frustrated.  Some of those problems were preventable, but not if you can't access decent health care to start. 

But yeah, this was a real stretch, even by NA standards.  No way would that measly insurance policy cover everything, especially if some of those issues were there before the crash, which most of them were.

And what if Kaye had hurt someone else unrelated to the women in the van, like a pedestrian?  Did they say how she crashed?  Did she direct the van just the right way so there was no risk of fatalities?  With that many people in the van?  Come on.

I think they were going for sad for that last scene, but it was just macabre.  Who leaves that under a rug?

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Bloom got around faster without her cane than with it.

Seriously! When she started saying she needed it, I thought, "why? You're walking just fine without it."

So...God works through people by leading them to do something incredibly dangerous that could have killed the very people she was trying to help, or an innocent bystander. That's great.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I fell asleep towards the end of this show last night.  I can't believe it.  Well, maybe, I can.  It's really more of the same bizarre, unbelievable stuff.  I thought the show portrayed these ladies in a stereotypical way and wasn't impressed.  How cliche is that?  Wasn't it just the other week that they did the same with African American men at the basketball court and barber shop?  

I can't believe that Blume doesn't have incredible back pain from using that boot. Because it puts your body out of alignment, it can really make your back hurt.  

Even though I have good blood sugar control, as a Type I diabetic, I'd really consider before donating a kidney. Maybe, it's different with Type II's, but, still.....if you don't have a history of good control, I'd think it would be very risky. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can't believe that Blume doesn't have incredible back pain from using that boot. Because it puts your body out of alignment, it can really make your back hurt.

When I had to wear a boot, the first thing I did was go shopping for a shoe that was about the same height as the boot so I could walk more evenly. It still was not fun but made walking easier.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

When I had to wear a boot, the first thing I did was go shopping for a shoe that was about the same height as the boot so I could walk more evenly. It still was not fun but made walking easier.

Good idea!

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My friend broke her foot a few years ago and was in a boot for what seemed like forever. She ended up with a stress fracture in her other foot.

• Love 1

Oh boy. I liked S1 because the show presented healthcare issues and the the characters were allowed to deal with some of the stress that comes with being a doctor. However, this season has been closer to magical realism.

A patient comes in with a whole host of complex issues to manage and somehow the simplest and most unbelievable of solutions (however absurd, unrealistic, inappropriate, or illegal) inevitably settles it. Even last week with Juliette, a uniquely complex patient shows up and Iggy doesn't seem to realize he's not able to help her with games and prizes, regardless of whatever progress she supposedly showed by lowering the bar from assault and potential homicide to manipulation. Not to mention barbers prescribing meds and Sharpe handing out meds to her patient and walking out a few episodes ago.

I won't even get into Shante (I believe that was her name) and that abortion storyline.

At some point, someone has to face the music. The characters are well written, the show looks beautiful (this was a particularly pretty episode), the camera work is graceful, the dialogue is still very strong, every scene has layers of subtext and depth, the lead character is interesting, he's charismatic and flawed, etc. It's a well crafted drama.

It has simply become too unrealistic, IMO. The science, medicine, and legal aspects are overlooked to the point where NA might as well be located in Wonderland. And this hurts the show.

The sentimentalism of it all bulldozing every ounce of medical practicality, personal and moral boundaries, HIPPA, and even legal consequences is beyond problematic. And every episode so far has been guilty of this. It's very unfortunate.

Anyway, Helen takes a lot from Max. She's been pushy lately, but even since S1 he lashes out at her and she never puts him in his place. This has to be the reason Castro even knew to manipulate Sharpe with Max's treatment. Otherwise, how would she even know Sharpe would budge? It's probably that obvious.

ETA: Georgia's blood on the floor of the Goodwins apartment was bone chilling because Max is Luna's primary caregiver and parent. He's beyond needing help. Since "Your Turn" Max's mental health has been a point of interest, but his heart is broken beyond repair. Eggold has shown tremendous skills in portraying Max's internal devastation so far, I can only imagine what lies ahead.

Edited by Mia Nina
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I fell asleep towards the end of this show last night.  I can't believe it.  Well, maybe, I can.  It's really more of the same bizarre, unbelievable stuff.  I thought the show portrayed these ladies in a stereotypical way and wasn't impressed.  How cliche is that?  Wasn't it just the other week that they did the same with African American men at the basketball court and barber shop?  

Glad to know I wasn't the only one that fell asleep and agree totally with your post.   I did record the episode so will finish watching; however, after reading all the posts, I don't even think it's worth watching to the end.😞    And yeah, Blume/Bloom was walking quite well without the cane.   Guess the PT is now out of the picture, 😄

What's happened to this once-promising show?

• Love 1

Best moment was at the beginning when Bloom controlled the ER, then sipped her coffee and smirked satisfactorily, as if to be declaring, "I'm back."

Glad her "replacement" is still around. 

I also liked Kapoor and Sharpe bickering over the two patients. ("Talk to my hand.")

Otherwise, a ridiculous episode. Anyone else think that Reynolds and Jr. Reynolds were going to break out in a spiritual in the operating room? I was sure of it.

Edited by mojito
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Sometimes, good shows can jump the shark and it ruins it for all. The actors are great, but ,the writing is terrible.  Usually, it starts during the last few seasons when this happens.  I recall that Nip Tuck was that way.  Loved that show, but, towards the end, it was HORRIFIC.  The only saving grace was the finale song and scene. (All I Know by Garfunkel, if anyone is interested.  Always a blessing.)  Others who left us before they exited were Rescue Me, Dexter,  and Sons of Anarchy.   

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Same.  On one hand, what Kaye did was understandable (although incredibly stupid), and I can see why she was frustrated.  Some of those problems were preventable, but not if you can't access decent health care to start. 

No, what Kaye did was not understandable.  She endangered the lives of everyone in that van in some half baked scheme to get medical care.  It is only by the grace of God that she didn't kill someone. 

I also think Luna needs to be cared for by someone else for a while.  The giant blood stain on Max's floor was incredibly disturbing, and makes me think he is much more unstable than the show has previously suggested. 

Finally, I hope Iggy's husband divorces him.  It's pretty f'ed up to try to adopt a kid behind your spouse's back.  I'm also honestly shocked the agency lady was willing to go forward with the meeting without Iggy's husband.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I also think Luna needs to be cared for by someone else for a while.  The giant blood stain on Max's floor was incredibly disturbing, and makes me think he is much more unstable than the show has previously suggested. 

I like this show and will even accept all the unbelievable parts, but Max holding onto that blood stain shows what we've been seeing at the hospital.  He needs serious help, but he is in that trope I hate so much where someone who desperately needs help is in complete denial and avoids any and all attempts to help him.   That is typical of the Max character, as we saw him running all over the hospital while getting chemo.  But I would think his friends would stage an intervention or something because they know how unlikely he is to actually ask for or accept help, but will run himself into the ground without it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

No, what Kaye did was not understandable.  She endangered the lives of everyone in that van in some half baked scheme to get medical care.  It is only by the grace of God that she didn't kill someone. 

I don’t agree with her actions at all, but I understood that she was desperate enough to do something like that.  I found the aftermath of what happened more implausible than the crash itself.

• Love 4

So, uh, yeah, that $7.50 plan would've pay for all of that stuff. The woman's tumor removal? Yeah, probably, since it was aggravated by the accident.

The diabetes? No, that would not be covered. They'd probably pay for stabilizing her, but they wouldn't pay for more.

I thought this episode they were going to have Iggy finally tell his husband what he was doing with the adoption, but nope.

So is everyone else penciling in Max's mental breakdown/someone discovering the festering pool of blood for the winter finale? Either that, or next month during Sweeps.

And one more thing, the abortion subplot. I am pro-choice, but uhhhhh you can't just have guardianship temporarily removed like that - especially when the guardian is incapacitated. Now if she needed surgery or something and the guardian wasn't able to consent, yeah, they'd do an emergency thing. But for an elective procedure? what the hell

On 10/30/2019 at 12:40 AM, Amethyst said:

And what if Kaye had hurt someone else unrelated to the women in the van, like a pedestrian?  Did they say how she crashed?  Did she direct the van just the right way so there was no risk of fatalities?  With that many people in the van?  Come on.

I believe they stated that the accident was on the FDR? Which I think is a street in the city. So I guess she decided to crash into something. Looking at Google, it is right next to Bellevue Hospital. Maybe she crashed into a dump truck full of sand near the UN?

3 hours ago, bros402 said:

And one more thing, the abortion subplot. I am pro-choice, but uhhhhh you can't just have guardianship temporarily removed like that - especially when the guardian is incapacitated. Now if she needed surgery or something and the guardian wasn't able to consent, yeah, they'd do an emergency thing. But for an elective procedure? what the hell

I came here to say that. People under guardianship are not allowed to make any decisions for themselves, legally speaking. I have mixed feelings about guardianship because while a lot of disabled people might be abused by the system that denies them basic rights, a lot of them might also be abused by the guardian(s) in different ways - some are simply forgotten in nursing homes and group homes, while the guardian controls whatever little money they get from the government, and nursing homes assume guardianship of older people and take all their assets away as a form of payment. Supported Decision Making is a better solution and I can see some progress towards this.

Some disabled people have regained their right to self-determination but it isa a long process and it sucks in every possible way. They need a representative, they need assessments, they are assumed to be 100% incompetent from the get-go and they have to prove everything to a lot of people. And, at least in the state I live, it costs a lot of money in court fees - plus attorney if you don't have one working pro-bono.

This show is making good points about the absurdities of the "health" system in the United States while coming up with even more absurd solutions. It starts from a realistic situation, and then everything gets resolved in the most unrealistic way. I have no idea who the writers are but they are pretty bad.

On the 7.50 insurance bought for a trip covering pre-existing conditions: that simply doesn't exist, not even if the pre-existing condition is made worse by the accident. The emergency surgery would become something the patient would have to fight for and would have to end up paying herself. Why? Because insurance companies sell anything they are able to deny later. I buy travel insurance when I visit relatives in Canada and it is very clear in the policy that they will not pay for any treatment of a pre-existing condition.

And the woman (Kaye?) asking forcing Max to pray with her? annoying as fuck.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I don’t agree with her actions at all, but I understood that she was desperate enough to do something like that.

I understood the desperation, but her plan was just so reckless that I can never be on her side.  And yeah, there is no way the $7.50 plan is going to cover anything except injuries due solely to the accident.   

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bros402 said:

So is everyone else penciling in Max's mental breakdown/someone discovering the festering pool of blood for the winter finale?

Maybe it's someone else's blood, not Georgia's.  Max went off the rails after she died and has become a serial killer.  Just kidding, it's Halloween.

• LOL 6

Max would have done better to explain the ACA coverage they can get, subsidized by the government, so they can continue to treat their diabetes, kidney transplants, etc.  Some might also qualify for Medicaid or Medicare.  Not sure why none of these options was mentioned.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, izabella said:

Max would have done better to explain the ACA coverage they can get, subsidized by the government, so they can continue to treat their diabetes, kidney transplants, etc.  Some might also qualify for Medicaid or Medicare.  Not sure why none of these options was mentioned.

Cuz it's boring and doesn't make for "compelling" TV.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Cuz it's boring and doesn't make for "compelling" TV.

But it's Max!  He could have turned it into a huge dramatic thing where they have the staff sign up all the people in the whole hospital, and then drag more people in off the street to sign them up.  And he could have set up a sign-up kiosk at that barber shop and by the basketball court.  It's Open Enrollment season!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The idea that a policy that covers injuries sustained in a car accident would cover pre-existing conditions and even a kidney transplant may be one of the most ridiculous storylines I’ve ever seen. 

Instead of committing insurance fraud, Kaye may want to look into an exorcism for her church group. There’s some bad mojo going on for so many people being so sick. 

I predict Max really goes off the deep end and fashions a doll for Luna out of the Georgia blood stained rug. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I watch this show through the same lens as I began watching Scandal in later seasons. As in, I watched it as a political fantasy...and the fact that I watch NA, medical drama fantasy, while I do other things (tweeting, chores) as well, probably aids in its deficiencies failing to bother me much.
I do appreciate the spotlight on the different health care concerns of varying groups which exist outside the show, however.  I don’t watch many medical dramas, but I doubt many of these shows “go there.” These moments aren’t without their flaws. I also appreciated seeing the injured black female characters too as the warm and playful (and not so playful) bickering of the two sisters, in particular, felt familiar—helps that the episode was written by a black female writer. 
I do also kinda dig the running theme of faith/hope this episode. Though I did cringe when Kate asked Max to pray. I believe that a patient would do that, but I still caught second hand embarrassment. Bloom appeared to be reading something inspirational if not religious, and she is clearly still! struggling!, but she has faith in herself—pulling through like a boss in the hot chaotic mess of a suddenly busy ER. Kaye and Max, though not really on the same side religiously, complement one another’s views of the ambiguous nature of the right thing to do in a tight spot.  Though the bit with guardianship and a woman (disabled or otherwise)’s right to choose got a little muddled, it definitely could spark conversation about those issues as well as impacts on relationships and the overlap of black Christian culture.  

All o’ that said, someone really really needs to do a wellness check on  Max. His self-martyrdom is too much. That carpet? Also too much. And his constant pushing away of Helen just grates at this point.  He’s a doctor; he’s got to do what is best for his child. Hiding bloodstains, insufficient rest, combined with “seeing” his dead wife on the reg, that’s not what’s up, doc. (Sorry, couldn’t resist) 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I predict Max really goes off the deep end and fashions a doll for Luna out of the Georgia blood stained rug. 

I died laughing at this, then came back to life and died again. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I agree with SO much of this! You all just say it way better than I can.

To the person who is pencilling down Max's mental breakdown for the midseason finale, I said the same thing the other night. And to the person who pointed out how much Sharpe takes from him, to the point it's like, "Come on, girl!" - I'm going out on a limb to say his breakdown is going to land on her. I don't know if it's going to be toward her, or if it's gonna just be around her, but I totally think she's going to be the lucky recipient. That's where I'm putting my $$ for now. 

And the blood on the rug? I immediately thought of Luna as well. She's gonna start crawling and yuck, yuck, yuck!! 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, alexvillage said:

On the 7.50 insurance bought for a trip covering pre-existing conditions: that simply doesn't exist, not even if the pre-existing condition is made worse by the accident. The emergency surgery would become something the patient would have to fight for and would have to end up paying herself. Why? Because insurance companies sell anything they are able to deny later. I buy travel insurance when I visit relatives in Canada and it is very clear in the policy that they will not pay for any treatment of a pre-existing condition.

And the woman (Kaye?) asking forcing Max to pray with her? annoying as fuck.

yuup

I have looked up travel insurance since I have a pile of medical conditions - the one that would cause the most concern to a travel insurance company probably being cancer (or epilepsy). The thing I found when looking it up is that these companies have insanely strict requirements for traveling with cancer. It was something like you have to buy the insurance within 7 days of booking any part of the trip, then you need to have your doctor confirm in writing that you are medically cleared to travel, then if you book any other parts of the trip, you have something like 7 days to inform them of the exact costs of what you booked, including the deposits (refundable or non).

And yes, that woman force-asking Max to pray was very....pushy

12 hours ago, izabella said:

They're from uhhh Alabama? Georgia? One of those states. It's pretty impossible to get medicaid down there and the subsidies don't cover much - the states that denied the expansion have had premiums skyrocket year over year (Some as much as 50%)

They just kept going on the point that the closest hospital was an hour away

3 hours ago, apn85 said:

To the person who is pencilling down Max's mental breakdown for the midseason finale, I said the same thing the other night. And to the person who pointed out how much Sharpe takes from him, to the point it's like, "Come on, girl!" - I'm going out on a limb to say his breakdown is going to land on her. I don't know if it's going to be toward her, or if it's gonna just be around her, but I totally think she's going to be the lucky recipient. That's where I'm putting my $$ for now. 

And the blood on the rug? I immediately thought of Luna as well. She's gonna start crawling and yuck, yuck, yuck!! 

I'm guessing Max doesn't show up to work one day, Sharpe goes and checks on him, and is about to knock on the door when he hears Max talking, and says something like "have a good day, with Mommy, Luna!" and then boom, it is discovered he is pretty dissociative

That might be the end of the midseason finale, though.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

I'm guessing Max doesn't show up to work one day, Sharpe goes and checks on him, and is about to knock on the door when he hears Max talking, and says something like "have a good day, with Mommy, Luna!" and then boom, it is discovered he is pretty dissociative

That might be the end of the midseason finale, though.

I could see that. In the episode where he said to Luna they'd have to show Georgia her laugh when they got home you could tell Sharpe knew something was up. Honestly, a picture wouldn't be THAT big of a deal to me (I kind of equate that to people who go to the cemetery to "talk" to their loved ones), but she knew it was more than that. Which I think is exactly why he pushes back at her so much, he knows she is the one person who can see right through his bullshit.

I don't know. I just feel like it's coming and I really don't want to see him take it out on her.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, apn85 said:

I could see that. In the episode where he said to Luna they'd have to show Georgia her laugh when they got home you could tell Sharpe knew something was up. Honestly, a picture wouldn't be THAT big of a deal to me (I kind of equate that to people who go to the cemetery to "talk" to their loved ones), but she knew it was more than that. Which I think is exactly why he pushes back at her so much, he knows she is the one person who can see right through his bullshit.

I don't know. I just feel like it's coming and I really don't want to see him take it out on her.

I think Max will more fall apart and not angrily lash out once it is discovered. Maybe Iggy will make a house call and take care of Luna for a bit. Or maybe Kapoor + mother of his grandchild will take in Luna for a comedic subplot.

I started to suspect during the previous episode (psycho child) and had it confirmed this episode: all the good dialogue and acting opportunities are being given to the patients. It's not that the leads aren't charismatic or can't act - they are just so poorly written, the plot lines so transparently...transparent -- they just don't have anything worthwhile to work with.

Frankly other than Max I don't think the writers really care about them. They still haven't found a way to make Bloom's curmudgeon the least bit engaging. I don't think they even realize how little they've explored Helen. They show everyone else's lives, but they're content to just tell us about hers. Usually in the form of exposition that she has to deliver herself.

And Iggy is the WORST, on so many levels. 

I wish that bloodstain had looked a little duller. It looked fresh, and huge!

• Love 2
On 1/18/2020 at 11:02 PM, rubyred said:

Frankly other than Max I don't think the writers really care about them. They still haven't found a way to make Bloom's curmudgeon the least bit engaging. I don't think they even realize how little they've explored Helen. They show everyone else's lives, but they're content to just tell us about hers. Usually in the form of exposition that she has to deliver herself.

THIS!!!!

It blows my mind. Her fiancé died OF THE SAME THING Georgia died of (or something very similar...I think he had a brain aneurysm?) yet they have never explored that even given their friendship & Max's grief. They have painted it to be that nobody could possibly understand what he is going through. Sometimes I wonder if they even remember giving her the scene where she told Max that. It's annoying. 

• Love 2

I think Iggy is addicted  to adopting underprivileged kids.  That storyline is ridiculous. You have 4 adopted children under 10. Why the hell would you want to add to that. I don’t get it. Makes me really not like his character.  And Max with the bloodstain? Wtf. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:02 AM, rubyred said:

I started to suspect during the previous episode (psycho child) and had it confirmed this episode: all the good dialogue and acting opportunities are being given to the patients. It's not that the leads aren't charismatic or can't act - they are just so poorly written, the plot lines so transparently...transparent -- they just don't have anything worthwhile to work with.

And Iggy is the WORST, on so many levels. 

I wish that bloodstain had looked a little duller. It looked fresh, and huge!

Yes!  Iggy is the worst!

On 10/29/2019 at 8:45 PM, ams1001 said:

Hell, no. You couldn't be a donor if you had controlled diabetes, or controlled hypertension for that matter.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:26 PM, preeya said:

down syndrome kid wants and gets an abortion.

People with Down's Syndrome are sterile. They is no way she could be pregnant.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Just googled this (I'd never heard that) and this site (I just clicked the first result on the list) says that men with DS are infertile (but there have been a few cases of men who weren't) but women aren't (a snippet from another site says women may be "subfertile").

On 11/30/2020 at 11:25 AM, eel21788 said:

Hell, no. You couldn't be a donor if you had controlled diabetes, or controlled hypertension for that matter.

Most people with Down are sterile, but there have been cases of women conceiving.  Due to the chromosomal abnormality, most pregnancies will end in a miscarriage, but it can happen.  About 90% of the time, an embryo with Down will miscarry, only a small minority survive to delivery.

On 10/31/2019 at 2:50 AM, bros402 said:

This!   I am the parent of an intellectually disabled daughter and I went to court when she was 21 for guardianship.  She is not capable of making her own decision, especially medical issues.   I can't believe they would tell her she could have the abortion.  The Guardian was right there.  No...just no.