Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Warriors and Guardians

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

To air on October 20, 2019:

Nolan gets off to a rocky start after being introduced to his new training officer, who has an unconventional approach to police work after her stint as an undercover detective. Bradford struggles to think of an appropriate birthday gift for Rachel. Lopez finds herself navigating a case that triggers a personal memory.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:39 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Nolan gets off to a rocky start after being introduced to his new training officer,

This ain't gonna be fun.  Didn't like her on Chicago Med, not going to like her here. Poor Nolan.

So I guess she is the replacement for the sexual harassment person (Talia?) that left the show.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

Nolan gets a new training officer who somehow manages to combine the worst traits of every other senior officer we've seen on this show. Ugh! I liked Talia and the actress. It's too bad. Though the interesting thing is that Talia's absence has forced nearly every other character to finally start acting like an adult. Talia really was like the mom and her fellow TOs were emotionally immature.

It's good to see Enver Gjokaj getting some work even if it's as new TO's ex.

I am not a fan of the new TO because she's an asshole and her demand that Nolan meet her in 20 minutes caused him to leave a vintage black lacquered octagonal chinoiserie faux bamboo mirror in a precarious position. Is it worth a huge amount of money? About $200. But he has to gut renovate the place. Two hundred dollars helps.

• Love 4

Lopez should be a detective immediately.  How she quickly put together from the picture and studying everything about Alice to know she hit the girl 10 years ago was amazing.

Not feeling Nyla. If she needs the extra money that bad, just do her job and train Nolan. Not sure why she unnecessarily put herself in position to get herself killed (not calling for backup) or possibly get a complaint from Nolan or disobey orders. Can a golden ticket protect her from all this?

Surprised the camera didn't pull back to show Chen hiding in the corner watching Bradford and Rachel kiss.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Raja said:

So Officer Nolan is now the prized recruit for Sergeant Grey. The only one mature enough to socialize an undercover detective back into the force.

In this case, I believe mature is code for "old."

This was a pretty weak episode. It brings me back to the S1 episodes where Nolan was with Tim and they got into gun battles. The good news is that Nolan's TO has no ability to get Nolan fired. Apparently, she's Dirty Harriet who wants to get her kid back. I would think she'd have a better chance and make more money if she got a job in the private sector.

• Love 1

I really liked talia.. So I was scared seeing another black woman cast and thinking it was a "walking dead esque" replacement... But I was pleasantly surprised... I like that she was a bit antagonistic it makes sense for her character's history.. I also like the dynamic between grey and her.. Again because it makes sense... Watching those kids shoot at the homeless lady had my blood boiling... I liked the Tim and Rachel story.. With Chen being the super involved best friend... My only gripe.. And its one I've voiced elsewhere is the show pairing off every WOC with a white guy... Chen with Nolan.. Russo with Nolan.. Lopez with the Lawyer.. Now the new T.O with the always solid Enver G.  And Chen' s friend with Tim.. I'm all for the swirl ( that's how i came in to existence)  but geesh.. I mean maybe Chen meets a nice Indian or Latino or Asian guy.. I get Tim and Nolan are the only single hetero guys... But still.. Anywhoo another good episode 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Nolan gets a new training officer who somehow manages to combine the worst traits of every other senior officer we've seen on this show. Ugh! I liked Talia and the actress. It's too bad. Though the interesting thing is that Talia's absence has forced nearly every other character to finally start acting like an adult. Talia really was like the mom and her fellow TOs were emotionally immature.

I am not a fan of the new TO because she's an asshole and her demand that Nolan meet her in 20 minutes caused him to leave a vintage black lacquered octagonal chinoiserie faux bamboo mirror in a precarious position. Is it worth a huge amount of money? About $200. But he has to gut renovate the place. Two hundred dollars helps.

I didn't even recognize Enver - that makes me happy even though the new character does not. I hated her for pretty much the entire episode, but then when I saw how they might rehabilitate her, I decided I'll give it some time.

I've heard that it's difficult for a cop to come back after being in deep cover and become a team player again, so I guess that's part of the story they're telling here. Though she's abrasive as hell - and in an asshole - not sassy fun way. Then again, that can be said about Tim as well, and he's on the road to rehabilitation. I loved that he said training rookies was a sacred duty - I don't know why, I just did.

I also liked that Nolan was the one who clocked the other arms dealer driving away, and she missed seeing him because she was so pissed about everything not being about her and not interested in patrol techniques.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

also liked that Nolan was the one who clocked the other arms dealer driving away, and she missed seeing him because she was so pissed about everything not being about her and not interested in patrol techniques.

I'm on the other side of this.. Not that she was pissed and could missed it.. But because again.. Super rookie Nolan saves the day... He's the lead so its expected.. But its been done in so many episodes already 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I'm on the other side of this.. Not that she was pissed and could missed it.. But because again.. Super rookie Nolan saves the day... He's the lead so its expected.. But its been done in so many episodes already 

Fair enough. I take it situation by situation - and he's the lead, so it's kind of to be expected. But in this particular circumstance, for me, it was icing on the cake.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I really liked talia.. So I was scared seeing another black woman cast and thinking it was a "walking dead esque" replacement... But I was pleasantly surprised... I like that she was a bit antagonistic it makes sense for her character's history.. I also like the dynamic between grey and her.. Again because it makes sense... Watching those kids shoot at the homeless lady had my blood boiling... I liked the Tim and Rachel story.. With Chen being the super involved best friend... My only gripe.. And its one I've voiced elsewhere is the show pairing off every WOC with a white guy... Chen with Nolan.. Russo with Nolan.. Lopez with the Lawyer.. Now the new T.O with the always solid Enver G.  And Chen' s friend with Tim.. I'm all for the swirl ( that's how i came in to existence)  but geesh.. I mean maybe Chen meets a nice Indian or Latino or Asian guy.. I get Tim and Nolan are the only single hetero guys... But still.. Anywhoo another good episode 

I'm taking this over to Race & Ethnicity on TV

• Love 1
13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Thanks for not making me look up who the H!ITG! was.

Since words do not get into a script without a purpose, I noted the perp's remark to the new TO: "You're hot for a cop" followed by her reply "I know,"
and then later she calls Bradford "handsome."
So I'm guessing that the new gf with the birthday is going to just be an obstacle to the other 2 cops (Hot and Handsome) getting together,
even though, IRL, that is a terrible idea because a) they both have serious issues, and b) they work together.

Edited by shapeshifter

I knew instantly that Nyla's reason for taking this job was because of a child. I'm a stable genius that way. 

Talia was too wooden for my taste; this TO is just too....too.

I'm appreciating Lopez more and more.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Since words do not get into a script without a purpose, I noted the perp's remark to the new TO: "You're hot for a cop" followed by her reply "I know,"

and then later she calls Bradford "handsome."
So I'm guessing that the new gf with the birthday is going to just be an obstacle to the other 2 cops (Hot and Handsome) getting together,
even though, IRL, that is a terrible idea because a) they both have serious issues, and b) they work together.

I don't know if I agree with your prediction about Bradford and Nyla, but I loved the deadpan "I know" response to "you're hot for a cop".  Seriously.  That is the exact response, and delivery, that should be used in real life for cops, doctors, women of authority in general who get crap like that.  Totally shuts that shit down. 

I miss Talia, especially since she was pretty much the only adult in the room (other than the Sergeant), wasn't into playing games, etc.  I know they had to give Nolan another TO, but I really don't need another storyline to follow. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I don't know if I agree with your prediction about Bradford and Nyla, but I loved the deadpan "I know" response to "you're hot for a cop".  Seriously.  That is the exact response, and delivery, that should be used in real life for cops, doctors, women of authority in general who get crap like that.  Totally shuts that shit down. 

I miss Talia, especially since she was pretty much the only adult in the room (other than the Sergeant), wasn't into playing games, etc.  I know they had to give Nolan another TO, but I really don't need another storyline to follow. 

Yeah in a super perfect world we'd still have talia.. Hell they coulda backtracked and made her a detective and still brought in the new TO... But I'm good this way... As for the "I know"...  It was pitch perfect 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mojito said:

Talia was too wooden for my taste; this TO is just too....too.

I'm appreciating Lopez more and more.

I first saw Alyssa Diaz in my favorite summer hate-watch show, Zoo. I found her to be a wooden line reader then and also in the first season of this show, but She showed some palpable emotion in this episode, IMO. 

• Love 2

I find Nyla to be smug, resentful, and reductive. There are two tyoes of cops: warriors and guardians. How would she classify her 4 years of undercover where the majority of her time was spent observing and relaying information instead of chasing down perps and busting heads. And considering that her undercover work was rather light on the type of policing she seems to prefer, how did she manage to muddle through for multiple years. Or maybe there is more than one way to be a police officer. Furthermore, Lopez managed to solve a 10 year old cold case by being a guardian.

This warrior/guardian dichotomy is the kind of dumb shit I'd expect Tim to say. And there's been enough evidence to demonstrate that when cops treat everything like a battle, the least bit of challenge or opposition tends to provoke the highest level response. When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I'm hoping that the show is planning on challenging this perspective.

Even though this seems like a non sequitur, I'm going to bring up one of my favorite episodes of the animated Justice League show. In the episode, Flash's city is opening a museum dedicated to him and he's trying to cajole members of the League to attend the opening. The thing that is great about the episode is that it's clear Flash is really involved with his community. He volunteers at charities, helps people with home repairs, and just hangs out with residents. He's a guardian, but it's what makes him good at his "job." The Flash starts getting attacked by bad guys and the other Leaguers are wondering where they can find the bad guys and the Flash pipes up that the bad guys have a favorite bar. The look at him like he's an imbecile, but it's clear it's part of his ethos of community involvement, but not intrusion. If the bad guys need a space to vent, he'll give them a space to vent. Flash manages to get the info he needs and talk the bad guy into turning himself in. No punches. No bullets. Just conversation. And that's what started Nolan's journey to be a cop. 

Nathan Fillion has a long association with WB animation, but this episode I'm thinking of doesn't involve him.

• Love 3

Last year, I found this show to be a fun guilty pleasure. However, I liked Talia and her no-nonsense attitude.  I HATE the new training officer.   I don't believe in this "golden ticket" concept and don't see why they would assign someone who has not even been a patrol officer for years as a TO [related note: I assume to qualify as TO, you have some other qualification/training besides just being a cop].  As someone else noted, she is smug and arrogant; she is also directly contradicting her boss, Grey, by telling Nolan he doesn't need to issue citations; not to mention that she could've gotten him killed by telling him not to call for backup.  I don't believe they would let her continue as TO after all of that.  And I'm just not that invested in the other cops.  I think I might have to let this show go. 

• Love 6

If Nolan researched Harper, her HR file should show marital status / dependents. Also, her name would be in family court files for divorce / child support agreements. Is this going to be a multi episode arc before they figure out that the ex-husband lives in the area?

4 hours ago, paigow said:

If Nolan researched Harper, her HR file should show marital status / dependents. Also, her name would be in family court files for divorce / child support agreements. Is this going to be a multi episode arc before they figure out that the ex-husband lives in the area?

I don't know that Nolan could look at her HR file. Even if Grey or Nolan could, I don't see how they could make the leap from 5% pay bump to paying child support. It still seems like if she were interested in better pay, she could find something in the private sector.

• Love 2

It still seems like if she were interested in better pay, she could find something in the private sector.

Well she's a black woman, so the private sector is less likely to pay as well as public service where equal work for equal pay is more likely to be enforced.
Nolan has some university, and Chen took a degree, but there is no reason to believe that Harper did.

So a black female high school graduate, with maybe 10 or 15 years in policing?  What job do you have in mind for her that would pay better than a job with a unionized work force. Maybe she really was moonlighting in that bar.

I'm a little more surprised that she got behind on child support. Do undercover cops not get danger pay?

I quite enjoyed this episode.

The new officer is interesting if not sympathetic. Bradford's awkward courting is fun. And I liked the two cases they followed most closely.

Fun fact:  Alice Sheldon was the real name of James Tiptree Jr., a well known feminist science fiction writer, whose name was recently removed from a prestigious award in the field over concerns about the murder/suicide of her disabled husband.

In addition to her acclaimed writing, she was a spy with the US armed forces and later the CIA.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tiptree_Jr.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, AzraeltheCat said:

Last year, I found this show to be a fun guilty pleasure. However, I liked Talia and her no-nonsense attitude.  I HATE the new training officer.   I don't believe in this "golden ticket" concept and don't see why they would assign someone who has not even been a patrol officer for years as a TO [related note: I assume to qualify as TO, you have some other qualification/training besides just being a cop].  As someone else noted, she is smug and arrogant; she is also directly contradicting her boss, Grey, by telling Nolan he doesn't need to issue citations; not to mention that she could've gotten him killed by telling him not to call for backup.  I don't believe they would let her continue as TO after all of that.  And I'm just not that invested in the other cops.  I think I might have to let this show go. 

I hated Bradford and wasn't crazy about Lopez for the first handful of episodes. As they developed the characters and we saw different sides of them and glimpses of their personal lives, I've changed my opinion. I think you will see the same with Harper. We already got a glimpse. I like the character development for all of them on this show.

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

It still seems like if she were interested in better pay, she could find something in the private sector.

Well she's a black woman, so the private sector is less likely to pay as well as public service where equal work for equal pay is more likely to be enforced.
Nolan has some university, and Chen took a degree, but there is no reason to believe that Harper did.

So a black female high school graduate, with maybe 10 or 15 years in policing?  What job do you have in mind for her that would pay better than a job with a unionized work force. Maybe she really was moonlighting in that bar.

I'm a little more surprised that she got behind on child support. Do undercover cops not get danger pay?

I quite enjoyed this episode.

The new officer is interesting if not sympathetic. Bradford's awkward courting is fun. And I liked the two cases they followed most closely.

Fun fact:  Alice Sheldon was the real name of James Tiptree Jr., a well known feminist science fiction writer, whose name was recently removed from a prestigious award in the field over concerns about the murder/suicide of her disabled husband.

In addition to her acclaimed writing, she was a spy with the US armed forces and later the CIA.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tiptree_Jr.

Even if it is possible to be a big city police without a college degree in this day and age I go with the default that they have at least a B. A. However even with a degree it would be hard to match the 6 digit income that LA cops bring home. However housing cost will eat that up if they live close to the city.

I only sporadically watch this show but whatever happened to Bradford's cop-turned-junkie wife?  Did he finally close the book on her?

He did.  She went to rehab and reached out to him.  It looked like she was interested in getting back together but he decided that wasn't a good idea.  He wished her well and that's the last we've seen of her.

I hated Bradford and wasn't crazy about Lopez for the first handful of episodes. As they developed the characters and we saw different sides of them and glimpses of their personal lives, I've changed my opinion. I think you will see the same with Harper. We already got a glimpse. I like the character development for all of them on this show.

I agree.  I made a similar comment to my husband last night.  I said I did not like new TO but I didn't like Bradford at the beginning either and that changed, so maybe this will too.

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I only sporadically watch this show but whatever happened to Bradford's cop-turned-junkie wife?  Did he finally close the book on her?

He did.  She went to rehab and reached out to him.  It looked like she was interested in getting back together but he decided that wasn't a good idea.  He wished her well and that's the last we've seen of her.

Thanks!

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, Raja said:

Even if it is possible to be a big city police without a college degree in this day and age I go with the default that they have at least a B. A. However even with a degree it would be hard to match the 6 digit income that LA cops bring home. However housing cost will eat that up if they live close to the city.

I live in a big city and all you need is a high school diploma or GED.

• Love 1

On paper all that is needed is high school. When I worked for Ottawa Carleton Home Services (nursing) the case workers were going for equal pay and chose police detectives as their equivalent.

The case workers had to have a BSc in Nursing while the detectives only needed Grade 12 (which was not high school completion at the time, as Ontario had a Grade 13) . In addition, the injury rates for nurses was much higher. But that was in the 90s and the detectives would have been hired in the 70s.

That being said, most applicants for the Ottawa police (and the RCMP where I have also worked) have a university degree usually either in Criminology or Law. Ottawa also requires candidates to speak at least English and French.

• Useful 1
On 10/23/2019 at 4:01 AM, femmefan1946 said:

There is no reason to think she hasn't gone to college or have a degree.  That's reaching and projecting.  We don't have enough information about this character to determine her level of education. I'm stopping here because the rest of your post is making a lot of assumptions bordering on insulting. 

• Love 4
On 10/21/2019 at 12:01 AM, HunterHunted said:

Great details on your part, but he could have simply taken the mirror down and propped it against the wall or placed it on the floor.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:38 AM, mxc90 said:

Surprised the camera didn't pull back to show Chen hiding in the corner watching Bradford and Rachel kiss.

I had the same (half-serious) thought!

• Love 1

I have no idea if this "Golden Ticket" business is an actual thing...but even if it were, I'd think there would be limits. Everyone kept acting like it meant Harper was untouchable. I would guess that no, you can't just do whatever you feel like, if for no other reason than it would make the news...

"What? She shot an unarmed man? Well, you're SOL; she has a Golden Ticket!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I have no idea if this "Golden Ticket" business is an actual thing...but even if it were, I'd think there would be limits. Everyone kept acting like it meant Harper was untouchable. I would guess that no, you can't just do whatever you feel like, if for no other reason than it would make the news...

"What? She shot an unarmed man? Well, you're SOL; she has a Golden Ticket!"

I think if she truly fails to train Nolan. she isn't performing her job and Grey could have her reassigned.