Type keyword(s) to search

Carlin and Evan: But Mostly Carlin!

• Start Topic

A lot of people take their babies to chiropractors. That's actually very 'modern' of them.  Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for but seems like they normally wouldn't even know what a chiropractor is.

• Love 3

During this time of confinement, I'm recording old re-runs in the middle of the night.

Last night, Gil and Kelly surprised Carlin with a new dress, a meal at a "fancy" restaurant, and a purity ring.

I had to turn it off. It was either so staged or those kids are 1,000% brainwashed.

Probably both. 

Do they ever complain about the small town, isolated, back woods way they live? Or do they need to wait till they're married, as Alyssa seems to have done (a little bit.)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, answerphone said:

During this time of confinement, I'm recording old re-runs in the middle of the night.

Last night, Gil and Kelly surprised Carlin with a new dress, a meal at a "fancy" restaurant, and a purity ring.

I had to turn it off. It was either so staged or those kids are 1,000% brainwashed.

Probably both. 

Do they ever complain about the small town, isolated, back woods way they live? Or do they need to wait till they're married, as Alyssa seems to have done (a little bit.)

The episodes with the purity rings always creep me out. Carlin always comes off as trying to hard to be connected and emotional. I still shudder at the way she acted with Erin in the very first episode. They were shopping for prizes for the games at Whitney's baby shower. We had just been told for the fifth time that Erin had a miscarriage with the baby due around the same time as Bradley. Erin is leaned over the cart counting the number of prizes only to be interrupted by Carlin who keeps saying things about being proud of Erin. She did the same when Zach graduated from the academy, jumping front of her parents and siblings to take pics with him and tell him how proud she was of him. Same thing with Trace, Josie, and Tori graduated. When the boys went to basketball camp, she was telling one of the middle boys that she was cheering for him louder than anyone and how proud she was of him. 

I'm not saying it is bad that she is proud. It's just a bit awkward with how it comes off each time. It doesn't seem true or genuine. It seems to be more about her putting on the face of someone who is trying to show a deep connection with her siblings. 

Anderson County is really more suburban with some farm land in between rather than small town. They try to present it as very folksy and rural, but I grew up with family there in Clinton, Rocky Top (then Lake City), and Oak Ridge. There wasn't anything missing as far as shops, food, movie theaters, etc. They claim to be into the whole southern charm thing - I don't know what they are doing, but it isn't southern. Then they claim to be into cowboys and westerns. Those aren't really southern either. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So out of boredom I’ve taken to watching Carlin and Evans YouTube videos once in a while, annoying as I find them.

On the “how we met” video, shocked to learn Carlin had a boyfriend before Evan that didn’t work out and E later lets slip that she was dumped. Look at fundie parents Gil and Kelly letting their daughters give away pieces of their heart pre marriage.

E and Carlin dating was actually relatively normal — much more so than the Bates portray. They met when he was 16 and she was 13 and didn’t talk; then saw each other every 2-3 yrs at some event. At that time people (I’m guessing Kelly) were trying to get E with another Bates girl (prob Tori, Josie or Katie based on age) but E was 18ish and not interested.

But when he was 21 Kelly was coming to his church to speak and by then E had been following Carlin on social media and was excited to see her. And then he pretty much acted how a 21 yr old acts in front of a girl he likes + both families. Volunteered to drive them around all weekend, one night ended up in their hotel lobby and talked w Carlin for hrs; he told his sisters (or they figured out) he liked her so then later in the weekend the sisters were all — oh Evan writes music, sing for us. He does, Carlin is all infatuated, he says he can text her a link to the song if she gives her #, she does, they talk daily after that.

And given they talked daily, no way the parents were chaperoning those conversations — though I don’t even think the Bates claim to do that, that’s the Duggars bc when Tori was getting w Bobby, they “complained” to Bobby they never see her bc she’s up in her room on the phone for hrs. But E and Carlin’s getting together seemed so normal, which is good bc they’re both loud annoying types and clearly they didn’t downplay that when dating so they both knew what they were getting. They should give lessons to the Duggar’s who I’m sure expect to listen in on 30 yr old Jana’s call with any man.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/4/2020 at 7:44 PM, cereality said:

So out of boredom I’ve taken to watching Carlin and Evans YouTube videos once in a while, annoying as I find them.

On the “how we met” video, shocked to learn Carlin had a boyfriend before Evan that didn’t work out and E later lets slip that she was dumped. Look at fundie parents Gil and Kelly letting their daughters give away pieces of their heart pre marriage.

E and Carlin dating was actually relatively normal — much more so than the Bates portray. They met when he was 16 and she was 13 and didn’t talk; then saw each other every 2-3 yrs at some event. At that time people (I’m guessing Kelly) were trying to get E with another Bates girl (prob Tori, Josie or Katie based on age) but E was 18ish and not interested.

But when he was 21 Kelly was coming to his church to speak and by then E had been following Carlin on social media and was excited to see her. And then he pretty much acted how a 21 yr old acts in front of a girl he likes + both families. Volunteered to drive them around all weekend, one night ended up in their hotel lobby and talked w Carlin for hrs; he told his sisters (or they figured out) he liked her so then later in the weekend the sisters were all — oh Evan writes music, sing for us. He does, Carlin is all infatuated, he says he can text her a link to the song if she gives her #, she does, they talk daily after that.

And given they talked daily, no way the parents were chaperoning those conversations — though I don’t even think the Bates claim to do that, that’s the Duggars bc when Tori was getting w Bobby, they “complained” to Bobby they never see her bc she’s up in her room on the phone for hrs. But E and Carlin’s getting together seemed so normal, which is good bc they’re both loud annoying types and clearly they didn’t downplay that when dating so they both knew what they were getting. They should give lessons to the Duggar’s who I’m sure expect to listen in on 30 yr old Jana’s call with any man.

I'm glad they did address her previous breakup. One of the first episodes where we see him, he sings her a song he wrote about her and it has lines about someone not appreciating her and that he will.  

• Love 2
On 4/4/2020 at 7:44 PM, cereality said:

It's most likely Tori. Gil Bates didn't allow then 15/16 year old Josie to date 19/20 year old Kelton.  Evan is only a month a younger than Kelton. When he was 18, Josie would be about 14 and Katie would be 13. Technically when Evan turned 18, Katie was 12! 

Alyssa is also a strong possibility, but she was probably already interested or courting John.  Erin was getting ready to marry Chad. Erin and Michael would probably seem too old for Evan in the fundie world. 

After watching that last video I have come to the conclusion that these two are much too stupid to be parents.  I can't even imagine how they will keep Layla from getting injured once she is mobile.  They don't have enough focus to constantly keep watch over her.

• Love 3

Good God, I've seen better acting in cheesy Hallmark movies. I can just picture Carlin rehearsing "I should be there!!!" in front of the mirror as she squeezes out tears. I certainly don't wish ill on anyone or their child, but I've had immediate family members on death's doorstep in the hospital and the last thing on my mind was pulling out a cell phone and recording. 

• Love 3

This incident took place in February.  Where were Gil and Kelly?  Don't they live reasonably close to Carlin?  Why did they have to get Evan's parents to come down from Nashville?

I also cannot understand filming during a health emergency.  It would be the furthest thing from my mind.  The desperation to be relevant and somewhat famous is so strong with this couple.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

This incident took place in February.  Where were Gil and Kelly?  Don't they live reasonably close to Carlin?  Why did they have to get Evan's parents to come down from Nashville?

I also cannot understand filming during a health emergency.  It would be the furthest thing from my mind.  The desperation to be relevant and somewhat famous is so strong with this couple.

13E3417C-AD26-4C34-809B-7818E3C1B62E.jpeg

• Love 1

So she has a hole in her heart. I’m sure it’s super scary for any parent but I honestly don’t get why these 2 film this?? ESP in the first part of the video, seems like the incident has just happened, they’re freaked out and upset (understandably) so the first impulse is to film it?? Are they trying to be YouTube stars? Are they already making $ off YouTube?

• Love 4

Well, Carlin, welcome to the real world where life lived by your parents' rules does not guarantee a perfect life. On another note, I am quite sorry for this little girl and I hope she will go on to be ok. I feel for Layla in having an immature, unprepared mother.

• Love 6

Poor little girl.  Only 3 months old and already been hospitalized for jaundice, had a procedure to fix being "tongue tied" and now a heart problem.  Even sadder, she is stuck with parents who are totally inept and determined to film every incident for maximum dramatic value.  

When did this happen?  There has been ZERO mention of it on Carlin's instagram page.  

I hope this may discourage them from popping out a boatload of babies, although I highly doubt it.

• Love 3

On a serious note, I hope Layla's health issues get straightened out. The poor little thing has had a rough start.

On a snarky note, I pray she doesn't become the next Gypsy Rose Blanchard. For all of Evan and Carlin's tears, you get the vibe they enjoy being the center of attention with family dropping everything to rush to their aid. I just can't take them seriously when the video starts with Carlin talking about Layla struggling to breathe, followed by a montage of her flinging her hair around in a park. 

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, BitterApple said:

On a serious note, I hope Layla's health issues get straightened out. The poor little thing has had a rough start.

On a snarky note, I pray she doesn't become the next Gypsy Rose Blanchard. For all of Evan and Carlin's tears, you get the vibe they enjoy being the center of attention with family dropping everything to rush to their aid. I just can't take them seriously when the video starts with Carlin talking about Layla struggling to breathe, followed by a montage of her flinging her hair around in a park. 

I hope this sweet baby gets good care and her health is better.  I can't imagine filming the things that they do when they're in the midst of some really serious health issues for Layla and Carlin.  And I agree the montage of Carlin flinging her hair around is so inappropriate under these circumstances.

Edited by wilsie
  • Love 4

That's really scary. I hope Layla is ok. 

Carlin is turned 22 a month ago. She seems so young.

Evan's parents only had 6 kids and he has no obvious connections to IBLP.   It's very possible his parents weren't quiverfull themselves. Hopefully CarVan gives up being quiverfull. Duggar Data is currently predicting 21 kids (more than any other Bates/Duggar couple.) Not sure why! Josie Bates Balka is close with 20 kids predicted. 

• Love 2

I feel bad Layla having so many issues so young. I also feel for her having two parents who are for all intents and purposes - EXHAUSTING!

Not every single moment has to be filmed or recorded. We don't have to have commentary on every single thing in the world. We even get commentary on their IG accounts about what they want to have for dinner and what they end up having. If we end up with videos about Evan picking out his socks and underwear, I'm swearing off social media forever. 

• LOL 7
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

The Carlin hair swinging is their standard this is our weekly vlog title thingie.  It's in every vlog not just the ones about Layla's health problems.

Yeah, it's part of the intro. And I roll my eyes every time. 😂

• Love 2

Watching that video all I could think was OMG her parents are SO young, which I realize is unfair. Any parent would be freaking out whether they had their kid at 21 or 35 and it was actually much more common a few decades ago to get married at 22, baby by 24 even though it isn't common anymore at least not in my circles in the northeast. But at 22 and 24 Carlin and Evan are young parents -- esp in terms of maturity and exposure to the world esp Carlin. I will say even though it seems like they shot this video just after the incident, they were better "prepared." Had the requisite talk re God, talked about how Mama Bates and Law had texted them Bible verses and read them on camera etc.

When Carlin had to suddenly go to the hospital with what turned out to be meningitis (I think?) and at that same time Erin had to rush Layla to the hospital bc she turned blue in the face, that video was a lot more "raw" with Carlin (understandably) crying "why us," "why does this keep happening?" I fully expected Evan to go into fundie mode and start talking Bible verses and lead her in prayer and he was equally like -- I don't know . . . .

So it looks like that incident of being brought to the hospital by Erin is where they discovered Layla had a messed up EKG. Then Evan and Carlin had to take her to the cardiologist who discovered the hole in the heart which they say is minor and nothing needs to be done with it now/just watching. As much as I snark on these people, I hope it's the type of hole that kids get at birth that just closes on its own in a few years and nothing ever needs to be fixed. But obviously it's something that's "bad enough" or "scary enough" to the parents that they purchased an oxygen monitor for Layla which she was wearing when this incident happened. I'm just shocked E and C didn't film the cardiologist visit as they said on this video it was too overwhelming . . . .

I also hope they slow the baby train because of this. She's a honeymoon baby and they haven't even hit anniversary #1 yet and clearly even if nothing needs to be done, this situation is a LOT. They should just focus on Layla for a year or two and THEN when things seem stable, have another kid -- at which time they'll only be like 24 and 26 so it's not like there aren't tons of childbearing years left. Why take on the stress of a baby who -- even if she is fine -- probably needs to be monitored by a cardiologist periodically for the next few years and you're dragging yourself to those appointments 9 mos pregnant or with a newborn in tow??

Plus Evan is still a student/apprentice in electrician school and he does talk about the financial stresses of being a newlywed with a child. And now it's a child who needs not only regular care but also some cardiac monitoring which I'm sure comes with its own premiums etc. and he can't get by with cheapo/no insurance. Might as well wait on kid #2 until he's a full earning electrician with a co. with good benefits.

• Love 5

I just hope that they don’t start thinking that becoming a bit more “worldly” since their marriage has anything to do with the health problems, i.e. punishment from God for wearing pants, etc. And I especially hope that Gill & Kelly don’t encourage that way of thinking.

• Love 7
On 5/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, YupItsMe said:

I just hope that they don’t start thinking that becoming a bit more “worldly” since their marriage has anything to do with the health problems, i.e. punishment from God for wearing pants, etc. And I especially hope that Gill & Kelly don’t encourage that way of thinking.

I think that is a legitimate concern. So many of these families use the unfortunate events of someone's life as evidence or proof that they are living the wrong way. If their relationship with Jesus was better... If they prayed harder... If they were more godly...

While we haven't seen such things being said on the show, I would be very surprised if Gil and Kelly Jo didn't say such things in private. I would assume it is said about non-family members first, but it isn't a big leap to say that about family. After all, in IBLP/ATI, young people who have doubts about religion or rebel against authority in any way are sent to programs like ALERT or Journey to the Heart, etc. where they can be abused. It typically isn't seen as a reward in their families.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, YupItsMe said:

I know what you are saying, but it seems to me that the Bates, Duggars, etc. are more likely to say that is the case for when it happens to people who don’t follow the same “rules” that they do, but not when it comes to themselves. When bad stuff happens to them, God is “testing them” or they just revert to saying how they put all their trust in the Lord/Jesus. Or, in the case of Josh Duggar, he was Satan’s construction project.

Edited by MargeGunderson
Satan gets real mad when you spell his name wrong
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I know what you are saying, but it seems to me that the Bates, Duggars, etc. are more likely to say that is the case for when it happens to people who don’t follow the same “rules” that they do, but not when it comes to themselves. When bad stuff happens to them, God is “testing them” or they just revert to saying how they put all their trust in the Lord/Jesus. Or, in the case of Josh Duggar, he was Satan’s construction project.

They do seem to focus more on the ungodly ways of others. But I wouldn't put it past them to use Carlin's issues with Layla's health or even Michaela's fertility issues as warnings to live a certain way for the younger children. Layla was conceived on their honeymoon where Carlin wore pants and tank tops, they saw women in bikinis, and they drank drinks that looked like alcoholic drinks. Erin would be their example of good in that she lives exactly how they like her to live and now has the most children out of all the married couples. I have no idea what it is they would blame on Michaela other than maybe saying she had doubts about God or something. 

A large part of the way these large families keep their even grown children under their thumbs is set them up as role models for the younger children (making it so they don't feel like they have the right to fail) or as scapegoats. A big part of their religious belief system is about trusting God's timing and plan, as well as this idea of God punishing those who are not living righteously. It doesn't necessarily even come out as clearly as "God is punishing Carlin for wearing pants." All Kelly Jo has to do is say to Callie, Ellie, and Addallee that God wants girls and women to wear skirts or dresses and that God makes life better and easier for those who follow his rules. Then she can say, "let's pray for Layla who God has given his burden to and for Carlin and Evan who must guide her through this." 

• Love 4
(edited)

These 2 have been gushing about their upcoming anniversary on IG and now a 20 min video?? They are just SO young and so inexperienced at life. We get it, anniversaries are cool and a sentimental time. But to watch them gush and give you the behind the scenes of their wedding as they relive the best day of their lives legit makes me sad for them that they BOTH -- not just C -- talk like the wedding day is THE big day in your life and it's one day in your life and then it's over and there's nothing else and all you want to do is go back to that. Come on sure weddings are great. But lots of people have lots of fun days at graduations and traveling and countless other things where they experience LIFE, not just navel graze. Shows how little they've lived before rushing into marriage at 22 and 23. 

And BTW none of your behind the scenes is THAT special or different from the zillions of other people who get married yearly. You're still talking about that damn song and how nerve wracking it was -- FYI you didn't have to perform if you felt it would be nerve wracking!? They think they're so original and special when literally every person who has had a big wedding will say exactly what they said -- the day went fast; she was bawling we she gave her dad his gift; he had the biggest smile on his face all day; he's not a crier but he cried when he saw her; they didn't even get to taste the cake except for the 1 bite; they didn't eat at all and were starving and ate after the wedding . . . . E&C these are normal wedding things, even though you seem to think yours was the William & Kate wedding of the century . . . .

And I especially love that the Mustang they drove away in was borrowed. They decided they couldn't afford to spend another $ and thus had no getaway car and then Carlin and Kelly run across a car show at the local mall. They approached the owners of the various cars to explain their plight until one owner decided they could borrow his car. He drove it to the venue on the day of, he keeps it pristine bc he's a collector. Cue to the shot at the very end of them eating plates of chicken + sides that Mama Bates had packed for them as they left the reception bc they hadn't eaten all day and were starving. IN THE BORROWED PRISTINE COLLECTIBLE CAR!? Nice respect . . . . You know they drove 10 min up the road to the local Marriott to get it on. They really had to eat in the car? They couldn't check in, eat in the room, and then get busy? If they couldn't wait for check in, they couldn't get to the hotel parking lot, get out and eat in the parking lot before entering the hotel??

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3