Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Designer Complicity

• Start Topic

Malcolm realizes his father's killing spree may not have been a surprise to everyone in his family. While Malcolm continues to investigate his past, the murder of a famous model and social media influencer sends him, Gil, Dani and JT on the hunt for a stalker with a creepy eye for design.

Airing Monday, October 14, 2019.

They showed the layout of the bed and the window, they were no where near each other. I don't think Bright could have reached the window, even if he was shot out of a cannon.

I couldn't tell if Bright thought his mother was lying during the interrogation or not.

I wonder if Ainsley is taking her first steps to becoming a serial killer.

• Love 1

Bellamy Young continues to be fabulous in this.  I don’t think she knew knew.   I think by the end she suspects “something” but like she says on the tape she convinced herself her husband is having an affair.   It’s a lot easier to suspect an affair.  I mean whose mind really goes to “serial killer” well besides Malcolm.

And now sister is seeing dad too..,,prodigal daughter?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10

I've been enjoying the last few eps mostly for the cast, but I have to say when Malcolm told stalker pap that he was dying because his broken rib was puncturing his stomach. Love. Nothing but love. He's an a*hole, but I love him.

• Love 4

I think the mom thought her husband was a serial cheater and that he was into bdsm.  That's why she was mad at Malcom when she caught him in his dad's "hobby room". And when Malcolm said there was a woman in the trunk, it's not that she didn't believe him, she just thought that it was one of her husband's sex games and was not concerned about the woman being murdered. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Fell asleep before Bright figured out who dunnit, and I'm not even curious enough to go back and rewatch.

I don't care about Mommy, and even less about 'Star Reporter' daughter/sister. Wish the show writers would come up with more interesting Crime of the Week plots, in place of the extended-family drama. 

• Love 4

I may be violating a PrimeTimer Prime Directive, but I just started last night's ep, and paused it to come here to say to people who'll understand:

I just CAN'T anymore with the same flashbacks every episode. I'm starting to viscerally hate the damn trunk, the hallway and "MALCOLM! What the hell are you doing?" "I saw something. I saw a woman."

LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT, LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I don't mind the flashbacks.  I'm very curious to find out exactly what happened with the woman in the trunk.  That's the primary hook of the show and the murder of the week is just the background to Malcolm's family's personal history.  I think people are expecting this to be primarily a police procedural with the family stuff as the secondary story but the reality is that it's the reverse.  

I'm no longer sure what the mom knew.  She's either a very good liar, good enough to fool Malcolm when he viewed the tape, or she really thought he was bringing in hookers for some unsavory side action.  It would have to be something more than just being with other women.  I wouldn't think infidelity would be that scandalous to the society circles they moved in.  I'm wondering if this show is deliberately trying to lead the audience into thinking she knew about the serial murders only to throw in some other twist. Part of me thinks she didn't know he was a murderer because otherwise she's being awfully trusting that he wouldn't also kill her once she started to voice her objections to his behavior.  

Why does the daughter seem so hurt that she may not be her serial killer father's favorite?  She can't really even remember him plus there's the whole serial killer thing so why does she seem to want his approval?  He's going to totally mess with her mind.  

• Love 7

I really dislike coming here to rank on a show because, well, I spent an hour watching it. But this show, the one I was looking forward to the most based on previews, is tanking.

The crime of the week ... is Bryan Fuller's clone writing this? No one just gets shot/stabbed/garroted in this town, the murders all have to be elaborate art pieces that took hours to assemble for no reason other than so Malcolm can look at the body and instantly diagnose the killer.  It worked for Hannibal, not working for this show.

Malcolm turned into a giant hateful person this week, and he's been the only reason I'm tuning in, to watch the pretty. But a pretty who is a big asshole is no longer pretty in my eyes. Taking that guy's camera ... WTH. Then flashing his phone at the guy during interrogation and asking the guy how he likes his picture being taken all the time. Malcolm, you moron, famous people go places where the paps are so they WILL get their photos taken. Malcolm = gigantic jackass.

Then Malcolm blurts out details of the murder when we all know from watching other crime shows that the police keep those details secret so the perp will reveal something that isn't known to anyone but the killer. And he does this every week. But of course, Malcolm can instantly tell what a person is thinking by his or her reaction. Hey Malcolm, you are no Allison DuBois.

Why was Lou Diamond so hesitant to give Malcolm his mom's interview tape when there was nothing on it other than her worrying and crying and being declared innocent. And Malcolm's face while watching, he went from hating her to being Mommy's Little Boy. Of course, he paused the tape without watching the end so maybe mom jumps up and says, "I killed them all!" and we just haven't seen that yet,

Mom still has that red dress in the closet, the one from 20 freaking years ago? Yeah, I totally do NOT buy that small detail.

I still object to mom looking the same age as Malcolm, which makes his attraction to her, and hers to him, even more creepy. Why not have an actress like the one who played Peter Florrick's mother on The Good Wife. She at least LOOKED old enough to be the mom of someone in his 30s.

Unless the show is going for the creepy Norman Bates mom-love-hate thing. Ugh if so. I don't want to see that.

Only dad is saving this show for me right now. Although they could have done his flashback better, he looked like an overly dyed Grizzly Adams.

The woman in the trunk ... who cares. If mom knew or didn't know ... who cares. What's another body or two since dad's in prison and mom is not. That was 20 years ago Malcolm. For 20 freaking years already!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

This and Evil are the two new shows I am really enjoying so far.  I think my tastes have changed over the years.   I used to like shows like Emergence but I haven’t  had the urge to watch that and I have already gotten tired of Stumptown.

Maybe I enjoy the procedural in the background aspect but both shows have more going on then just murder /or whatever of the week that is often far more interesting and the shows know it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Maybe they are trying to drive you just as crazy, as the flashbacks are driving him.

LOL! This show should come with bed arm restraints and mouth retainer. To keep us, you know, from throwing the tv out the window while yelling obscenities about the jackass flashbacks.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, rove4 said:

Why does the daughter seem so hurt that she may not be her serial killer father's favorite?  She can't really even remember him plus there's the whole serial killer thing so why does she seem to want his approval?  He's going to totally mess with her mind.  

Daddy issues. Everyone on TV's got them.

• LOL 4
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I still object to mom looking the same age as Malcolm, which makes his attraction to her, and hers to him, even more creepy. Why not have an actress like the one who played Peter Florrick's mother on The Good Wife. She at least LOOKED old enough to be the mom of someone in his 30s.

Peter Florrick was a man in his 50s so it made sense to have a mother who was in her 70s. Malcolm is not in his 40s let along his 50s and shouldn't have a 70 year old mother. That would be correcting too far in the other direction.

But yes, there is a problem in the casting between the parents and the kids. Bellamy Young and Michael Sheen are almost the same age. They are an age appropriate couple. What they are not is age appropriate parents to an actor in his 30s. They would have been young teens when they had their first child. So either both of them need to be played by actors ten years older or they needed to age down Malcolm. I do think that part of the issue is the flashbacks. They don't want actors who are visible "old" playing their younger selves but it's left a very strange and very obvious problem in the present scenes where Malcolm and his mom are clearly peers. I think Michael Sheen can pull off playing older, but Bellamy looks her age.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, vibeology said:

But yes, there is a problem in the casting between the parents and the kids. Bellamy Young and Michael Sheen are almost the same age. They are an age appropriate couple. What they are not is age appropriate parents to an actor in his 30s. They would have been young teens when they had their first child. So either both of them need to be played by actors ten years older or they needed to age down Malcolm. I do think that part of the issue is the flashbacks. They don't want actors who are visible "old" playing their younger selves but it's left a very strange and very obvious problem in the present scenes where Malcolm and his mom are clearly peers. I think Michael Sheen can pull off playing older, but Bellamy looks her age.

The biggest issue is because they had to recast the role of Malcolm (he was originally going to be played by the guy who played Iron Fist....thank god they decided to recast) and since that particular actor was in his early 30s instead of mid-late 30s like Tom Payne is, they didn't account for the fact that Tom Payne definitely looks his age. I know we're supposed to assume that Malcolm is in his early 30s but there's definitely a disconnect. 

The flashbacks ARE driving me a bit crazy, but mostly because I just want to see some new flashbacks. I'm already sick of hearing about the girl in the box. 

I had high hopes for this show and I'll likely stick around for all 22 episodes (and potentially beyond), but man, I hope it gets better. It's starting to show its cracks to me. 

I hope, with Ainsley going to visit dear old Dad (did they say that this will be the first time ever that she's visiting him?) that something interesting will start happening. 

The case of the week was marginally better, but Malcolm's turning out to be quite an unlikeable character. I was tolerating his recklessness and shady decisions for the last three episodes, but this episode brought him into really unlikable territory with the hospital scene. I get it, show. Malcolm takes after his dad, or thinks he takes after his dad. But maybe tone it down on all the bad decisions Malcolm decides to make, yeah? Because if this continues, I'll eventually root for his arrest.

• Love 6
On 10/15/2019 at 4:20 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Bellamy Young continues to be fabulous in this.  I don’t think she knew knew.   I think by the end she suspects “something” but like she says on the tape she convinced herself her husband is having an affair.   It’s a lot easier to suspect an affair.  I mean whose mind really goes to “serial killer” well besides Malcolm.

Although Micheal Sheen was the draw for me, she has really become the standout of the show.  The scene near the end with the video was riveting - she and Payne both did a great job. The small IRL age difference between the two actors just doesn't jump out to me the way I know it does for some others - I buy them as a (highly dysfunctional) mom and son.  I don't think we have seen the end of the "what did mom know and when" SL.  Also glad they seem to be lining up an interesting SL for Ainsley, the actress has been really under-used so far. 

This episode did the best job so far in balancing the family stuff with the story of the week.   JT and Malcolm are an amusing team ("don't touch me with your shaky bandage hand" heh).  Liking all the supporting characters, although I wish they would dial down the quirk on the ME just a few notches (why does every procedural have to have an overly quirky science type?). 

I think the show is getting into a groove and I am enjoying it.  The writing still could use some improvement (dialog still a bit stilted at times), but for the most part an enjoyable hour of TV that goes by quickly. 

Edited by Regalbegal
Typo!
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dbolt said:

I am in the minority I think but I would rather have better crime of the week and focus on Son and Dad working together to figure it out. 

Add me to your minority. I'd like the crime to be less Bryan Fuller-esque and while it could still have an essence of creep, I wish it were more "normal." And dad and son working together/not together would be more interesting than some who-cares-about-the-box memory from 20 years ago.

Malcolm also needs to stop being an ass. Dad was a serial killer but I'll bet he at least had manners.

He could have at least asked the cat's name for pete's sake, since he promised to take care of it after the photog "dies." Malcolm is the last person I'd trust with any living thing, human or animal.

I don't care how old actors are IRL, I want them to look the age they are playing in the show.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2019 at 6:20 AM, Chaos Theory said:

And now sister is seeing dad too..,,prodigal daughter?

What about Malcolm and the girl in the box?  And that flashback scene she had of that night? I cannot remember verbatim but something about her not telling to keep up their image? The dead girl in Bright's nightmare has to be real. All of his memories from that night has to be real but first he needs a clear narrative and the classic "Oh, You thought we were not going there" moment. If they actually do go there.  This season is 22 episodes long which I actually hate because it's going to cause shit to drag. I'm already tired of the mystery girl in the box.  Expose this secret for Christ sake! And it's only been 4 episodes? 

Edited by Simba122504
  • Love 1

Of course, he paused the tape without watching the end so maybe mom jumps up and says, "I killed them all!" and we just haven't seen that yet,

Yes!!!  I just know that after the pause she looked into the camera and got an evil grin on her face/did a major eyeroll/muttered "I killed them all" (ala Robert Durst) or something.  Maybe she did a headstand like Jodi Arias, though that seems a bit out of character.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:06 AM, icemiser69 said:

Having the stalker/photographer care so much about his pet cat was totally awesome.

I agree, that reminded me of my son and his cat Princess Buttercup. He would definitely worry about what would happen to her if he was in the hospital and told he didn't have long to live.

I don't know how the writers plan to keep Michael Sheen's character on the show because there is no reason for Malcolm to visit him, maybe now it will be because the sister is visiting him? His wife, son and daughter hasn't visited him in years so why now would they, I just don't see how they could make that work if the show last more than one season.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, threebluestars said:

I have a feeling the sister will turn out to be the crazy in the family and end up dad's protege and everyone was worried about the wrong sibling.

That was my thinking too! I mentioned that in the pilot thread. Mainly because I don't like the sister and I feel like that would be the only way to make her more interesting. Because otherwise I find her really annoying, and the actress (while lovely) just isn't right for the role.

12 hours ago, vibeology said:

What they are not is age appropriate parents to an actor in his 30s.

I wonder if it would help if the actor shaved off all the scruff. I know it's probably supposed to make him look all cool, and like he's struggling, but he could carry that off without the stubble. Usually when actors shave all that off, they look younger. 

• Love 2
On 10/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, jmonique said:

I may be violating a PrimeTimer Prime Directive, but I just started last night's ep, and paused it to come here to say to people who'll understand:

I just CAN'T anymore with the same flashbacks every episode. I'm starting to viscerally hate the damn trunk, the hallway and "MALCOLM! What the hell are you doing?" "I saw something. I saw a woman."

LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT, LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT.

You forgot the little jingle they play every 30 seconds to indicate "A CLUE! A CLUE!"

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I agree, that reminded me of my son and his cat Princess Buttercup. He would definitely worry about what would happen to her if he was in the hospital and told he didn't have long to live.

Love.

• Love 1

I thought this was the best episode since the pilot, it did a good job of mixing the case of the week and the family stuff. Bellamy Young is so good, and I am glad that they are giving her more material to work with. There were a lot of good character bits in general, and the camera work seems to be more consistent and less "notice my directing!!!"

Maybe I just liked this episode because of the two references to cats! I love that the photographer/stalker was so concerned about someone looking after his cat if he was dying, that would pretty much be me. Well, except for the stalking bit. Then the story about the main detectives cat leaving them dead animals as gifts and that being how the killer looked at his crimes was pretty great. Most cats do that as both a show of affection for their human family, and because they think that humans are basically big hairless cats that are pretty dumb and cant hunt so they need help with food! 

I think that after everyone was so worried about Malcolm being the next generation killer, it will actually be Ainsley who becomes her dads protege. She seems to really want her dads approval, being excited to hear that he was watching her news stories and jealous when she thought that he was just watching her because of Malcolm. She might be the real future killer.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Maybe I just liked this episode because of the two references to cats! I love that the photographer/stalker was so concerned about someone looking after his cat if he was dying, that would pretty much be me.

Except that Malcolm didn't ask the name of the cat or where the guy lived or anything. And the photog didn't say it either. He could have said, "Please take care of my cat,  his name is Bosco." Or something. Anything. IMO this show's writers totally blew the cat off and that irritated me.

• Love 1

I checked this out because I saw it was getting buzz on some of the other boards I read, and I love Michael Sheen, but ultimately I’m not sure about it. Above all, the flat, high school play-style  delivery of Malcolm’s actor really takes me out of the scenes, especially when he’s playing armchair psychiatrist and supposed to be delivering all of these Sherlock-esque one liners.  Ultimately it still feels like a dollar store House/Bates Motel crossover. 

Like others, I was also distracted by the fact that Malcolm’s mom only looks about 10 years older than him, as well as their halfhearted attempt at incest subtext. If you’re not going to go full on Norman Bates kiss me on the mouth, hallucinating your mom during sex, go home. 

Again, Malcolm’s actor is so, so bad. Is he trying for the budding sociopath flat affect?  I agree that it’s pretty obvious he’s going to wind up to be a red herring and his sister is going to be the secretly unhinged one. 

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2019 at 4:34 AM, AnimeMania said:

wonder if Ainsley is taking her first steps to becoming a serial killer.

That would be fascinating, especially since Martin seems to be grooming Malcolm to be his protege.

I really liked this episode. I thought the case of the week actually worked well.

I like the Jessica/Malcolm relationship as much as the Malcolm/Martin relationship. I thought her comment about Malcolm treating her like the monster and not Martin fascinating. As mean as it sounds it does seem realistic. 

• Love 1

The Murderer of the Week was a little better this outing, which made for a stronger episode overall. But as always, I'm primarily here for the family drama.

Malcolm was kind of an ass throughout much of this one, which of course is its own trope as you can't have a rogue cop, excuse me "consultant," who's always right unless they also don't play by the rules and are out breaking protocol and social niceties right and left. We get confirmation that he has in fact told Gil that he's seeing his father and not doing so well as a result, but does Gil also know that he's discussing cases with Dear Old Dad?  How does any of this scream stable coworker to him?  I don't think I'm familiar with the actress playing Jessica, but she was doing nice work here showing just how brittle and defensive she's become after everything that's happened the last 20 years.  I've thought all along we were going to find out that she either found out about Martin's extracurriculars before Malcolm turned him in or that she suspected "something" whether it be affairs or BDSM or something and tried to bury it so as to not upset the nice life they had going, and my opinion hasn't changed after seeing that interrogation tape.  That was nice framing of the shot, putting Malcolm in silhouette in front of the giant TV. Ainsley said something to the effect of oh of course you're worried about Malcolm when she walked into her mother's bedroom, so it doesn't surprise me much either as the only member of the family with no clear memories of that before time that she'd be feeling left out and wanting to find out about her father for herself.  That she learned that he watches her reporting regularly when it's been stated over and over that Jessica and Malcolm rarely do only baits the hook for her.

I am enjoying the supporting team of JT, Dani, and the quirky ME whose name continues to elude me.